[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Golems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: dirty dan.png (85KB, 548x473px) Image search: [Google]
dirty dan.png
85KB, 548x473px
so I'm running a campaign where one of the player characters just LOVES golems. Absolutely adores them to the point of silliness. Still, I want to throw him a bone (and create sidequests) so that he can make a pet golem for himself in a unique way. This all being said, how would you go about stating a pet mini golem? Maybe small to medium and made of dirt? Or just chat about golems, that's fine too
>>
Make it tiny, since a small or medium golem might contribute quite a bit to combat what with strength, DR, and that magic immunity. A tiny little guy might still be hard to hurt but isn't as much of a threat or target to enemies. Plus a doll sized construct bumbling around sounds adorable.

I'd personally go with something like 10 Str and Wis, 12 Dex, and 1 Cha. As a mindless construct it has no Con or Int scores. DR depends on materials, and the thing that makes it a golem and not any other construct is an immunity to any spell that allows Spell Resistance. It's a little pet that needs supervision and doesn't hit very hard, but depending on materials might be nigh indestructible.
>>
>>51424628
Thanks, that's actually a really good suggestion. Would it be that big of a deal if it could do combat, though? I know golems are tough, but seeing how the player is a squishy support wizard, maybe it would give him some flexibility, especially if the golem was hard to make
>>
Bumping because I'm a Golem Fag. I love artifice in games.
>>
>>51424737
If you are looking for suggestions concerning balance and mechanics, you should specify what game you are playing.

Generally, adding another "unit" for the player to play around with is really strong, unless it's limited in some way (or the game uses a more narrative approach).
>>
>>51424528
>throwing your player a bone
don't do it unless you plan to take golem away later (say, BBEG shatters it or it falls into ravine).
Catering to players breeds entitlement.
>>
>>51425224
And thus anon perpetuates the cycle of players and gms pissing on each other.
>>
>>51424528
Let him create it. Then it inevitably turns against him as he shrieks "Oy vey!" at the top of his lungs.
>>
>>51424528
try the following.
>Dragon age golems\harvester.
>Homm titan.
>Metal elemental.
>Dwarven caravan robot.
>Flesh golem for sale.
>>
>>51424737
>seeing how the player is a squishy support wizard
That's easy, then. Give him a quest to build a golem familiar. Maybe he finds an inactive golem core from an ancient ruin.

If he's not satisfied with the golem being a familiar, let him work out a system of powering up the golem in exchange for spell slots.
>>
>>51425224
jesus shut the fuck up
>>
>>51424528
A homunculus is a tiny golem with a direct tie to it's creator. That can be a fun little quest for him.
>>
>>51427851
Boguns are also relevant, being a druid's nature-construct homunculus-equivalent.

Either can be made more of a tiny rock doll by taking away their poison and giving them a 1d4 slam attack and a few natural armor or something
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 193x261px
>>51424528
Pathfinder has a creature called a Leshy - A small nature spirit given form through plant life. You could adapt the concept to apply to other matter, I guess
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/plants/leshy-template
>>
>>51427672
>system of powering up the golem in exchange for spell slots
That's good
>>
>>51427672
that is VERY good.
>>
>>51425075
Im running in 5e, but im open to suggestions to make it more interesting. Im liking the ideas of shuffling it into "familiar" territory, especially since he has already been talking about making one. Plus narrative wise, it could be the inspiration for making better ones years and years down the line.
>>
>>51428487
Well, a good thing to look at then is the Create Undead spell, as it creates servants that are independent. Give him the ability to make a golem with a ritual that has mechanics/stats similar to a zombie (this is about on par with a low-mid tier magic item), that he can fully repair using 3rd level slots. Requires attunement to be commanded, scales at the same rate as cantrips in HP/dmg (improve damage and HP multiplying the base value at 5-10-15)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.