[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to do a Mana Potion Ritual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

so I'm trying to GM up a Ritual where one of my players can craft a mana potion.

I'm trying to make it so that he has to DO something to get this potion, normally casters get a portion (roughly 1/4) of their mana back nightly, so I'm trying to give him a reward if he does something to create it.

BUT i don't want it to be so simple and easy that in one night he can create 10 of them and spend up 10x his total mana every day and become a madman.

I'm trying to prevent him from becoming too powerful, so it needs to be difficult.

your thoughts?
>>
>>51424150
Make him suck your dick.
>>
>>51424150
amazon
>>
>>51424186
?
>>
>>51424150

Have the creation of a mana restorative actually require the expenditure of mana, probably at a conversion loss. So if he spends 50 mana, maybe he gets a potion that will restore 40.

Additionally, you probably want to ensure that he can't just dump all his mana every day he doesn't need to cast in order to accumulate a hoard of potions. One option is to make carrying around a large quantity of concentrated mana dangerous, since it's basically an arcane bomb waiting to happen.
>>
File: 1469243049963.png (127KB, 450x451px) Image search: [Google]
1469243049963.png
127KB, 450x451px
>>51424150
I think we need a bit more info.
What system are you running?
How does the mana system work?

But just from what you already wrote, here's a couple of ideas.
1: Make one ingredient a distilled dream, so they need to hang a magic macgubbin to collect a dream each night.
2: Special bottles that they come in are relics of a lost civilization, and need a drop of blood and then eight hours to create one potion.
3: Consuming more than one(2) every 24 hours cause Mana Mumps, which are massive mana-filled boils which randomly explode every hour, activating a spell within whatever square they occupy. Consuming more than two(3) within 24 hours causes temporary 1d4 ability damage to Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma. Consuming more than three(4) in 24 hours causes a permanent magical disfigurement(third arm, third eye, mana-teeth, etc.) and increases their mana pool by [small amount]. Consuming more than four(5) in 24 hours causes immediate character death via magical explosion, dealing 2d6xd12's of damage for a minimum of 2 damage and a maximum of 144 damage to a 3x3 grid centred on the drinker.
>>
>>51424150
Make the ingredients rare and the success rate of the ritual unstable.
For example each time he makes the ritual, he has to roll d100 to see how many of the potions gain potecy/get spoiled. You can easily ingrease or dercrease the success rate by the amount of ingredients he has and conditions of the enviroment.
For example: player has ingredients for the said 10 potions, but he is making them on the road which add penalty of ~20 on the roll. He proceeds with the rituals skill (alchemy, brewing or something like that) check, which gives him more or less change of succeed (+10/-10?) and finally he makes the d100 roll to see how much of the potions he was able to make (original amount of ingredients divided by 100= % chance of 1 completed potion).

Addittionally you can consider adding some system to restrict or regulate how long one potion is usable before losing potency.
>>
>>51424329
I like those ideas, the toxicity mumps thing could be a risky thing the player as to manage.
>>
>>51424150
Drinking more than one mana potion per day results in exhaustion levels.
>>
>>51424150

If you want a limit on the rate of brewing, then try requiring that the potion be brewed at a particular time of day or time of month. Or that it requires some component from the caster, some symbolic representation of potency like blood or semen.

Or give a diminishing returns effect on drinking such a potion in a 24 hour period. Or a side effect that gets worse the more you drink but doesn't get better until you've cleared all the potion from your system.
>>
Instead of limiting production, limit storage. if X amount of unbound (Aka, Mana potion rather than mana pool) mana is within an area, every few hours make a roll and have bad things happen on low rolls, Increase severity but not speed of rolls the more there is. Inform him of this (He should know the dangers if he can create it) but don't tell them when/the results of a roll either.
For bonus points make better rolls increase the stored mana...
>>
>>51426304
>roll stupidly well on instability test
>"your mana potions have acted as a catalyst for ambient energies, drawing in and condensing power from their surroundings. Each concentrated potion is now equivalent to one and a half stock potions."
>you can't drink that many potions in one day without getting the Mana Mumps
>now-larger stockpile puts on accelerated gains at the next instability test
>player scrambles to stabilize the potions somehow
>gains bonus to stability tests, avoiding a failure while accelerating concentration rate still further
>growth becomes exponential and outstrips stabilization methods
>potion heap becomes dangerous to approach

>magic criticality accident renders entire region uninhabitable
>exclusion zone established around gigantic wild magic area
>get out of here stalker
>>
>>51426610
Exactly what I was imagining.
Don't forget the unfortunate animals turning into twisted abomination mana scarred monsters
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.