[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Setting & Food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

File: 303242462769.jpg (3MB, 4000x3614px) Image search: [Google]
303242462769.jpg
3MB, 4000x3614px
I'm designing a school/academy-life type series of Space Opera sessions for my players, as per their request, so their characters legitimately can act like they've known each other since they were fourteen with all the inside-jokes and quirks that come with it.

I've got most settled, but one thing I'd thought I'd seek guidance on is perhaps under-looked:

Food. Specifically, cafeteria food.

How should food of this caliber be handled in a space opera/school setting? I usually pride myself on how I describe culinary items, with a background in food myself, but that's almost always with fantasy. I don't really know how I want to approach this. I want the cafeteria to be a memorable setting where they can meet up before classes are over, eat, and discuss whatever it is they need to.

Help me, /tg/. You're my only hope.

I may or may not make the head of the cafeteria like Chef from South Park.
>>
File: foods to consider.jpg (1MB, 2600x2061px) Image search: [Google]
foods to consider.jpg
1MB, 2600x2061px
>>51419078

have the Cafeteria be part of the pride of the school. they offer foods not only from all over the sector, but from dozens fusion styles from cross-cultural goodwill missions.
>>
File: 6235929961_7ab2fe63d7_b-850x566.jpg (91KB, 850x566px) Image search: [Google]
6235929961_7ab2fe63d7_b-850x566.jpg
91KB, 850x566px
Bump.
>>
File: 0b.png (690KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0b.png
690KB, 500x500px
>>
Cafeteria serves three foods for free - they are proven culinary receptures dating back to the days of Union. UBM, UGM are available on weekdays while URM is reserved for weekend. The acronyms are pronounced as a word (ubm, ugm, urm) and stand for Universal Brown (respectively Gray or Red) Mush.
>>
File: Vampiric Camping Trip.jpg (61KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Vampiric Camping Trip.jpg
61KB, 750x750px
Bump.
>>
File: -9 HP.jpg (306KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
-9 HP.jpg
306KB, 1024x768px
b-bump
>>
File: 1418448685257.gif (904KB, 500x532px) Image search: [Google]
1418448685257.gif
904KB, 500x532px
>>51419394
I-I kinda want to subsist on a diet of cubed foodstuffs
>>
>>51419078
Just rip off of the replimat from DS9. Well-meaning, automated, free to those of the correct political affiliation, trying its best to imitate the recipes of many cultures but so unappetizing and limited by the ethical/nutritional restrictions of the powers that be that people are willing to go to Quark's bar and pay for some real booze and a better atmosphere.
>>
>>51419078

consider some of the following foods:

Baistebidus, Cabidela, Diyabath, Kushari, Larb, Poulet Moambe, Vla

and the following drinks

Airag, Chal, Qatiq, Tongba

and think how you can make those- or dishes like them- staple dishes in the setting.
>>
>>51430572
Those are mostly just different languages' words for meat slop.

Maybe the cafeteria's food extruder can only create foods with the consistency of a thin stew, and the school authorities insist on calling the food on offer each day by a variety of different fancy names from a variety of cultures, but the students themselves have simpler names for it like "brown slop," "red slop," "grey slop," and "yellow slop."
>>
>>51430724

actually all of those are real dishes and drinks on Earth, right now.
>>
>>51430870
I am aware. I looked them up and they all look like slop.
>>
>>51431340

Diyabath is a vegetarian soup. Larb is a salad. Vla is a custard and yogurt dessert.

how do these look like meat slop?
>>
>>51431476
Is that not why you chose those obscure dishes? They all have a consistency suitable for ladling out at a cafeteria or pumping through a pipe.
>>
>>51432430

no, i chose them because they come from a variety of different cultural groups and don't appear very often in -any- form of western entertainment.

also, you dodged the question of how a salad, soup, and custard look like meat slop.
>>
>>51419078
serve soylent viridians

after the crash of the human meat market after the realization that you have to feed the humans first before eating them, everyone decided to substitute it with a soy based analogue
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.