[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repeater-era Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: repeaters.jpg (487KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
repeaters.jpg
487KB, 1280x720px
So I've been working on a setting involving a "typical" fantasy adventure set in a time period roughly analogous to the 1860's-1870's. The party will be going on a rather long overland journey on a disused trade route, much like the old Silk Road, as a fact finding mission to protect the principal colony of their country. I've got some pretty good stuff planned, from a coastal Monitor fight to a witch's broom chase with agents of the other great power. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has run games in this sort of time period. The highest-technology armament would be blackpowder repeaters or cartridge revolvers, with many still using cap and ball weapons. The government does use magic users in a military capacity, with witches being airborne messengers and wizards typically being used as horse-mobile artillery. Any input?
>>
>>51416149
How messed magic are you integrating into this? What kind of repeaters? Multiple barrel, harmonica, revolving, chain, etc?
>>
>>51416149
bumping for curiosity. Tell us more!
>>
>>51416842
As far as repeaters, lever-action rifles or early bolt-actions like the Vetterli, or revolvers like the Colt SAA, or Smith and Wesson model 3. Magic, probably pretty simple light-fantasy stuff.
>>
>>51416905
The route they'll take leads them through a great desert, with ancient cities in the center modeled off of Samarkand (more or less). On the way, they'll run into railroad construction projects which are costing enormous amounts of human life, abandoned caravanserai, ghost towns with dry wells, not!Russian Okhrana agents, until they finally reach the colonial border outposts. From there it becomes a great race against time back to the capital, in order to prevent catastrophe.
>>
I've been working on a campaign based on Steven King's "Dark Tower" universe, where the players are Gunslingers. It won't be related in any way to the books, I'm just borrowing the premise because I think its cool.
>>
I'm surprised the typical "Guns? in muh fantasy settings!?" crowd hasn't shown up yet
>>
>>51419029
Medieval stasis isn't a thing. People like Newcomen and Watt will always arise.
>>
>>51416149
I think an age of steam sort of setting (but not steampunk) would be a great setting for an RPG, whether fantastic or not. For me, the big thing with that sort of setting is transportation. I have yet to see a game system that handles cars or airplanes elegantly, nevermind starfighters. But as far as gaming goes, trains and steamships are more of set pieces than vehicles.
>>
>>51419916
It's a fun era, really. For your martial classes, you have so many options. Infantry, Cavalry, Lancer, Dragoon, Zouave, Sapper, Sharpshooter/Rifleman, and so on.
>>
>>51419089

It is for popular table top systems like D&D. Speaking of which, looking back at the UA for modern magic my sincere hope is that they don't try to clone Shadowrun and do a modern setting that doesn't imply its the real world but MAGIC!
>>
File: 1479700024670.jpg (297KB, 1350x762px) Image search: [Google]
1479700024670.jpg
297KB, 1350x762px
>>51416149
>>51418867
>Any input?
Deadlands. All of the stuff you just described? Deadlands. Railroads, ghost towns, deserts, revolvers, Deadlands. Magic is there, it's powerful but isn't skullfuck-reality powerful.
>>
I've been working on a different flavour of fantasy/magic realism eastern, based around the Russian Civil War in the 20s. The setting is a mix of Central Asia with ancient cities, deserts and basmachi jihadists, and the independent buffer states of the Far East, with local tribes and not!Japan pushing their agenda. And the fantasy races are actually groups of humans with strange ideologies/religions who are just perceived as non-human.
>>
>>51420718
Fuck that sounds good. Russian steppe-western movies are the tits. Shestoy's a good one, for this tone.
>>
>>51420770
Thanks. Yeah, I drew inspiratoin from those movies and also from some books like Andrey Platonov's Chevengur.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.