[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner GM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 17

File: dorothy-hearts.gif (19KB, 400x528px) Image search: [Google]
dorothy-hearts.gif
19KB, 400x528px
What are some things a beginner GM can do to make a game enjoyable for their players? What are some things a GM must absolutely never do? I'm gonna be running a game of VtM for a few buddies and want to make it enjoyable for all of us.
>>
never tell your players they aren't allowed to do something. if you aren't sure about something they want to do just make it harder for them to do but not impossible. I once had a shit gm who ran a few sessions of vtm who absolutely refused to allow any of the players to pick any clan that wasn't one of the original thirteen simply because he didn't like them. simply but, don't be an asshole gm that just likes fucking his players.
>>
>>51406017
I just started playing the game a few days ago after eyeing it for a while and I love it. Dorothy and Stella are best girls

here op this will help you, I also have a beginners advice screepccap that I always found helpful.
>>
File: DM_advice.jpg (1MB, 1235x2892px) Image search: [Google]
DM_advice.jpg
1MB, 1235x2892px
>>51406017
>>51406168

here's the other bit of advice
>>
>>51406112

the whole reason I'm putting together this game is because the GM we had was also an autistic man child that wouldn't allow anyone to pick any clan that wasn't one of the original thirteen, despite everyone wanting to play one of the newly introduced clan, so we all just ended up dropping out of his game.

>>51406168

thanks, dude! this is gonna be really useful, I'll take anything that can be helpful! I really appreciate it.
>>
>>51406017
nobody is good their first time

don't worry about being good

worry about being fun

if you don't know the rule, house rule it.

its not railroading if they don't notice
>>
>>51406017
Dont be afraid to tell the players you need 5 minutes to work something out if they go for something unexpected, if you arnt comfortable wingnig it right away

And more importantly: Remember that the rulebook is a guide, not set in stone. If you're not sure of a rule, making a ruling, note it down and look it up after the session.

Trust me, it beats rifling through page after page trying to find the exact modifier or whatnot.
>>
>>51406017
DM Lesson #1: Whatever you put in front of the players, they will, without fail, kill, steal, maim, and burn it down.

DM Lesson #2: Because it will create an attachment to your setting and cause you to unintentionally railroad, never "over create" or spend too much time creating due to lesson #1

DM Lesson #3: Never try to resolve an out-of-character problem in-game. You should address the core of the issue directly player-to-player, instead of world-to-character.

DM Lesson #4: Never fudge rolls. Instead, ask yourself "Would I really want the character to die or get stuck here?" If the answer is no, simply don't include it. Remove the fat of the story and increase the fun.

DM Lesson #5: Despite what every single rulebook salesman will tell you, not everyone is going to like playing TRPGs, and some will just show up only because you invite them, not because they want to be there.

DM Lesson #6: You are not their psychologist, and you are not their babysitter. If someone is directly inhibiting your fun, you should talk to them, get them to leave or even leave the group yourself. Your hobby time should not be a burden.

DM Lesson #7: Do not tolerate a burden at your table, even if you are able. While you're tolerating, the other players are suffering, and most of them will suffer quietly until they leave without warning.

DM Lesson #8: Never insert real-world political analogies into your game. Unless you know for a fact that they all vote exactly the same way you do, someone WILL get mad and start an argument.
>>
File: autistic_man_child.gif (1MB, 326x256px) Image search: [Google]
autistic_man_child.gif
1MB, 326x256px
>>51406349

>If someone is directly inhibiting your fun, you should talk to them, get them to leave or even leave the group yourself

OP, only do this if he's ruining the fun for the other players, if you don't like that he's killing every NPC/enemy you throw at him just make stronger enemies, no need to throw a tantrum about it
>>
>>51406438
If even if NPC can slap a murderhobo down, the shithead still will have ruined the situation and aggrieved him, causing negative consequences for the rest of the group.

OOC talk to get him to stop, not IC retaliation.
>>
File: clip (2015-04-13 at 11.29.47).png (6MB, 3001x1250px) Image search: [Google]
clip (2015-04-13 at 11.29.47).png
6MB, 3001x1250px
>>51406017
Most books have GM guides in the back of them. Read it, see what stands out.

Most importantly: You're all there to have fun. You're not there to 'win' or to be 'stronger than the other PCs' or whatever, it's supposed to be fun. For everyone.
>>
>>51406017
>>51406168
Do you think Dorothy likes getting fucked by pedophiles haha like just curious haha
>>
>>51406017
>Get a goodnights sleep
>Don't show up to the game drunk or high
>Have an agreed set of table etiquette
>Lay down the law when table etiquette is breached
>Make a page of notes with npcs, encounters, and other important stuff, it helps keep you focused
>Don't get too attached to anything you create

I've broken all those rules and had a bad time and even worse the players had a bad time. I also found a quick round or two of Everyone is John curbs the murderhobo urges of players.
>>
>>51406017
>Step one:
Make sure to include robot child prostitutes in your game that like to drink.
There is no step two.
>>
>>51406905
>>51406716
Ok sounds like I need to kick that cyberpunk bar game up my to-do list.
>>
File: Boss <3.png (1022KB, 800x1142px) Image search: [Google]
Boss <3.png
1022KB, 800x1142px
>>51406925
You really do.
>>
>>51406168
>>51406905
Dorothy is best girl, somehow manages to be pure and lewd at the same time

>>51406716
depends on exactly what they want to do usually
>>
>>51407009
>pure and lewd at the same time
That's the best stuff always.
>>
>>51407009
>>51407027
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qc3CxyoNtQ
>>
If you can't improvise, you can't GM, at least not to full capacity.
>>
File: 1470091939157.png (11KB, 307x373px) Image search: [Google]
1470091939157.png
11KB, 307x373px
>>51407027
>>
>>51406925

It's great - but half as long as it should be. It ends abruptly right when things start picking up.
>>
one of the most important things i think new DMs should really do, is before you decide to play, sit the players down and talk about what you want from the game. what are the players after?

you don't want to build your game around dungeon crawling and looting and the next thing you know your players are trying to work politics. it is very important to all come to some form of agreement as to what style of game you are running.

do they want to hit things and get stronger gear to hit things and get stronger gear?

do they want to focus on RP and world exploration? shit like that is really important to figure out before the first session.

Alot of GMs will tell you never to railroad, but i disagree. sometimes it is necessary. you need to save your players from themselves at times. if your players are about to gidlock themselves in the story, it is okay to push them back or railroad them out of it. dont FORCE them onto the tracks, but dont be afraid to add some big flashing lights and a few signs saying "exit here"
>>
>>51407392
Sounds like Sinless.
>>
>>51406112
>I once had a shit gm who ran a few sessions of vtm who absolutely refused to allow any of the players to pick any clan that wasn't one of the original thirteen simply because he didn't like them.
There's literally nothing wrong with that, you're just an entitled piece of shit.
>>
>>51407510
you said it better than i could have.
>>
>>51406017
You're a new GM. It's okay to say "Sorry guys, I'm still learning the ropes and didn't plan for this. Can we not take the campaign in this direction / retcon this?" Your players will understand. (If someone gives you shit for doing this, don't invite them back.)

Also, even an experienced GM can have limits and things they won't do. Don't listen to >>51406112, it's perfectly acceptable to ban e.g. specific PC generation options. In fact, as you're new, you're even more justified in saying no to outrageous suggestions.

On that topic, don't hesitate to say no to problem players and bad or disruptive behavior. Kicking someone out and everyone else having a great time > spending multiple awful sessions with That Guy.

Make sure you and your players are on the same page and don't have wildly conflicting expectations. Will there be frequent character death? Mature themes? Is silliness accepted? Are PVP and betrayal on the table? Better answer these early so no one freaks out.

If what you find fun and what your players find fun are different, tell them about it. Maybe you can find a compromise. If you can't, that's okay. The GM is a player too. You're not a game console running Super TTRPG Deluxe, you deserve to have fun too.
>>
>>51407661
(cont.)

If this is your VERY FIRST game ever, here's more advice.

Start simple. Don't try to pull off anything even slightly crazy. Run an existing module and stick to it, your players won't mind. If they stray too far away from the bounds of the adventure, it's okay to tell them not to. Again, this is your first game. (Bonus: if it ends up sucking, your players will mostly blame it on the module.)

You may want to restrict the PCs to pregenerated characters and nothing else. The less rules you have to know by heart, the easier it'll be for you. This means you don't have to spend an hour helping your players with character creation, and you won't be surprised by unexpected PC powers. (Make your own pregens if you can, it'll help you learn how to do character creation.)

Let your players know you will not continue the game after they reach the end point you've planned. When this happens, give the adventure a resolution and permanently end it. No if no buts. Pregens will help, since your players won't be too attached to their characters.

Ending the adventure is very important and here is why. Your first game will have a lot of flaws. Don't build a campaign over it, it will result in very shoddy foundations. If you start anew, you'll have time to fix the most glaring mistakes.
Plus, if the group knows your first game won't have any impact on a future campaign, it'll be less stressful for you, and even if things go bad your players will tolerate them because they'll know there's a fresh start coming up.

Your players will be okay with all those restrictions as long as you make it clear they're meant to help you start off and become a good GM.
>>
>>51406017
You know what, fa/tg/uys? These "I am a new GM/DM" threads pop pretty often, should we have a general for new people, both new players and new GMs?

Something like Tabletop Tutorial General. I know you guys hate generals, but it would be easier to have a comprehensive OP with all kinds of material rather than everyone having to cite the same things and sources every time.

Like, how many different posts of "Never try to anticipate your players' decisions" or "Plan events and NPCs you can put anywhere in the world, keep things flexible" do we need until we make a general about it?
>>
>>51407930
They pop occasionally but the activity is generally insufficient to sustain a real general. How often do you see these threads reach 300 posts?

Just about never.
>>
>>51407947
That's a good point. Maybe we should make some /tg/:s guide to RPG:s, like a PDF that can be posted whenever anyone asks about the thing?

Even the existence of a PDF like that would probably ease things up noticeably. The only problem would be to actually make such a PDF, and how to do it.

Hell, if the PDF was good enough, it could be stickied.
>>
>>51407978
>>51407978
If it reaches the size more than a screencap, it'll be TLDR. And the longer it is the more subjective the advice is going to start getting.
>>
File: 1441821173898.png (12KB, 304x262px) Image search: [Google]
1441821173898.png
12KB, 304x262px
>>51406438
>if you don't like that he's killing every NPC/enemy you throw at him just make stronger enemies,

>DM Lesson #3: Never try to resolve an out-of-character problem in-game. You should address the core of the issue directly player-to-player, instead of world-to-character.
>>
>>51406349
>DM Lesson #4: Never fudge rolls.

I'd ammend that to "Don't get in the habit of fudging rolls." The screen is there for a reason, and sometimes you may need to tweak the difficulty of an encounter mid encounter to keep the game fun. Maybe the boss fight is going too easily, so you throw a critical hit in to shake the players up a little, or perhaps the schmuck one of the PCs picked a fight with just rolled a little too well, and you'd rather not see them sent to the morgue over this. By and large let the dice fall as they may, but if you need to make a tweak or two during the game, that's your prerogative.
>>
>>51410515
That's an awful way to play and you're a shitty person.
>>
Occasionally ask players what their Perception (or your system's equivalent) is, roll some dice behind the screen, ignore the result, and go back to whatever you were saying before. Players love that.
>>
>>51406112
>i once had a dm who put some basic restrictions on character creation
Oh dear, i'll get the sherry, we need to make sure that that big ol' mean dm doesn't hurt your fee fees
>>
>>51412824
Stop posting this shitty meme. The fake perception checks aren't witty or clever, it's a waste of time and it shits all over characters who are actually specced for perception (or whatever the system equivalent is). Nothing is more frustrating than get a maximum result on your perception roll and the GM just shrugging and saying "you don't notice anything."

If you're playing some sort of horror game then I think the technique can work, since you want to keep the players constantly on their toes and wondering if something is stalking them or whatever. But other than that one circumstance, this is shit GMing advice that needs to stop getting reposted.
>>
>>51407978
>Maybe we should make some /tg/:s guide to RPG:s, like a PDF that can be posted whenever anyone asks about the thing?
Feel free to do it yourself instead of suggesting that someone else should do it instead.
>>
>>51406017
OP, please, please don't believe people arguing against Game Master's Fiat and Fudging the occasional roll. They are not here to play a TTRPG, they are here to treat TTRPGs like video games and abuse the GM as a referee and nothing more.
>>
>>51406112
putting restrictions on character creation is completely acceptable and often times necessary for some settings, though.

you're right that DMs shouldn't disallow players from doing physically possible things in-game, it's better to make those things extremely difficult instead. character creation requirements are important though, if say, a race is extinct in your setting, etc. sounds to me like you were being the bitch in this instance.
>>
>>51406349
I disagree with a lot of this post t b h. applies more if your playgroup is younger in age.
>>
>>51407661
>Sorry guys, I'm still learning the ropes
This rarely creates sympathy but always causes distrust.

>Your players will understand. (If someone gives you shit for doing this, don't invite them back.)
You're also a autistic dick.

Stopped reading at this point, your views are not a reliable source of information.
>>
>>51412824
>>51412964
If I ever catch a GM doing that, I'll pretty much guaranteed to comment on it, ruining all his attempts at bringing this fake-ass tension.
>>
>>51406017
Don't run or play D&D.
>>
>>51413076
I talked in "we"-form specifically because I know my GMing advice would, in the end, just end up being a collection of my subjective thoughts. Having more people working on it, there can be multiple ways to explain a single thing, being maybe more of a dialogue than some de facto advice from one person.
>>
File: dorthy.jpg (162KB, 500x659px) Image search: [Google]
dorthy.jpg
162KB, 500x659px
>>51406925
im about halfway through and I love everthing about it,i probably do a second playthrough right away.

>>51406017
on topic: a session zero is always good. talk to your players together to see what you and they want out of the game. make characters and backstorys that are interesting and flow together so its not just " you all meet in a tavern" BS. go over some of the base mechanics of how to do things not just for the players but also to help familiarize yourself with the system and how it works.
>>
>>51406925
what game?
>>
>>51414662
http://waifubartending.com/

Specific character discussed here is this lewdbot https://youtu.be/7Qc3CxyoNtQ?t=21m53s
>>
>>51410515
i agree with this
>>
>>51413588
>This rarely creates sympathy but always causes distrust.

This only happens to untrusting dicks.
>>
I accidentally started a Maid RPG campaign on a small imageboard and people came and no one wanted to do lewd things (including me), so I devised a shitty plot to distract players from me not having a damn clue what to do.
So my questions are: can you recommend any books or films or modules or games concerning medieval Japan yakuza smuggling operations? Or just fantasy-ish medieval Japan?
The whole random encounters section of the book is somewhat disturbing and really all over the place. Are there any big random encounters lists, which mostly include non hack-and slash things? Like traveling merchants, bard troupes something that kind of stuff.
When and how should i start giving players additional items? Again maid rpg own list of items is all over the place, any generic lists of items and artifacts that are not too overpowered but still meaningful?
Can you also recommend some kind of "Writing adventures for dummies", cause that plot hook I threw at them kind of took off, and I’m rapidly running out of things to divert their attention, but still somewhat relate to the plot, that being uncovering yakuza?
I have read odds and ends on how to dm, 1d4chan mostly and couple of useful copypastas\screencaps here, but still, mostly clueless.
The biggest problem is that I guess players are actually liking it, so I don't know if they are just patronizing me. Also they don't really criticize or point things out, so I can't really base my assumptions on them.
This sounds weird? I'm a bit panicky, so do excuse my meandering text.
>>
>>51407027
>>51407222
>>51407009
>Dorothy is best girl
She is a robot. she is not a girl.
>>
>>51407510
>>51407562

if they all knew what they wanted to play and the GM refused to accommodate that then he's the entitled shit who doesn't listen to the wants of his players
>>
>>51416442

there's a few good episodes of samurai champloo you can probably sketch off of. i can't recall which but a lot of the show involved the gang getting into criminal organizations by mistake and swording their way out.
>>
File: Warforged rolls to seduce.png (542KB, 1200x819px) Image search: [Google]
Warforged rolls to seduce.png
542KB, 1200x819px
>>51416745
Robots can be girls too!
>>
>>51412824
I make a point of getting autistic about details whenever I know a GM does this. If he doesn't stop, I call him on it.
>>
>>51416783
Or maybe you're a stupid dick who wants to be a special snowflake (moreso than you can be in a vtm game) and wants to pick one of the million shitty imbalanced clans.
>>
>>51416814
Oh great, i haven't thought about that! The sword fighting part is a problem though. Playing with messages every 10-30 minutes drags combat a lot, as I discovered. One dude spent the whole evening fooling and dispatching 2 smuggler mooks.
>>
>>51416945

that's you, thinking "everyone wants to try the new clan" meaning "we all want to break the game over our backs with imbalance." read, nigger.
>>
File: 1477979132634.jpg (75KB, 500x401px) Image search: [Google]
1477979132634.jpg
75KB, 500x401px
>>51416945

>I don't have a particular reason for excluding these clans from the game, but I don't like them so you're not allowed to play them

How much of a child can you be holy shit, unless you can come up with a legitimate reason as to why a player can't do something just let them do it. Fucking hell, m8, the game isn't all about you.
>>
File: Alma_Armitage.png (39KB, 493x444px) Image search: [Google]
Alma_Armitage.png
39KB, 493x444px
>>51406017

Hey there. Wanna retrieve some user privileges?
Maybe overflow some buffers?
I think we could put a backdoor into your systems.
I'll even go in blind
>>
>>51418988
This is a family-friendly board.
Please refrain from using such language.
>>
>>51407510
>>51407562
>>51412851
Found the cucks
>>
>>51418988
>urge to make flist of dororty for that
>but the realise you'd rather be doing the hacky side
>>
>>51421868
just make Discord for that or something, spontaneous roleplay is best for these kinds of spontaneous ideas
>>
>>51421911
Making a discord requires a spontaneous crowd of people into it.
>>
>>51423091
ask 40k general for their lewd discord then - might still be rolling, complete with people
>>
>>51406017
Keep things lively, give every player a chance to contribute, and try to be as fair as possible.
>>51406112
Nothing wrong with that. I've been STing for years, and whenever I start a new template I usually limit it to core only so I can get a good lay of the land before having to deal with True Brujah time travel.
>>
>>51423123
Ehh, 40k.
>>
>>51413588
>If you tell your players you're new and still learning when it's the case, they won't trust you or be understanding
Sounds like you're playing with a bunch of unpleasant douches, anon. Get better friends.

>If you kick someone out because they complain about the new GM being new and making mistakes, you're an autistic dick
Actually, no, don't leave your asshole group. Seems like you fit right in.
>>
File: image2.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
Daamn lots of bitching in here

Even captcha is getting close to having a shooting.
>>
>>51412539
You're not a GM I suppose
>>
>>51410515
Meh. Party wiping out 5/6th of the bandit gang in one round and then getting half-KO'd by the leftover leader rolling like mad is hilarious.

Twist some outside reinforcements or rescue, but let the dice lay where they do.
>>
File: Donovan.png (8KB, 174x208px) Image search: [Google]
Donovan.png
8KB, 174x208px
>>51406925
It's surprisingly good.
>>
>>51412964
I've been running a game where literally every NPC is armed, literally any could be a threat, and literally every situation has a high potential for hostility. I roll constant perception checks behind the screen and all of them actually mean something. Works great because there are actually things to be worried about in every situation.
>>
>>51426390
How is the actual gameplay though? How much does it add vs. watching all the waifus on youtube.
>>
>>51426488
It adds nothing.
>>
>>51426488
Prepare to mix drinks. A lot of them.
I'd definitely say it's worth playing it over just watching videos. The game isn't hard, but it's fun to try to figure out the weirder orders, and actually having to try to remember what people like and so on makes it pretty immersive.
>>
Who /burg/ here?
>>
>>51426461
So it's 'murrica?
>>
Is it ever okay to do a short campaign in a limited setting? Like a fantasy Die Hard scenario where your party is sealed in the ground floor of a tower with 20 huge floors fully explorable by the players with a BBEG at the top floor? This is assuming you talked to all the players and the idea of fantasy Die Hard sounds cool to them.
>>
>>51427978
Sure, that's just a prolonged oneshot. Works nice.
I've played a few short two or three session campaigns in MAID, and that works fine.
>>
>>51427978
These are the best types of campaigns. Open ended multi-year long games are horrible, the best games I've played have gone on for only a couple months and had satisfying conclusions to them.
>>
>>51427978
Yeah its totally fine.

And after you're done, you still can, if everybody wants to, to continue playing as those guys and doing other stuff.
Or timeskip to another affixed scenario.

Basically, yes go for it but keep your epilogue options open.
>>
>>51406017
play to your player's strength.

Druid in the party? have in talk to animals and plant often and make sure he save nature.

have a cleric? make sure he finds heathens to slay and converts people to his religion.

Someone made Bob the human fighter? Slap him across the face with a 12 foot tall troll and tell him to gitgud
>>
File: 1462937059781.jpg (99KB, 600x817px) Image search: [Google]
1462937059781.jpg
99KB, 600x817px
>>51406017
You're going to get a lot of different types of advice here, some of which might conflict with each other, but that's ok. That's what makes tabletop so fun. Different methods work for different groups.

I've been running games for ten years now and I've switched up my style plenty of times. For me, the most important thing you can do as a GM is to let your players guide you instead of the other way around. If you want the game to be about assassinating a king for example, let your players in on that before starting, but don't meticulously plan out HOW they're going to do it. That part is on them. All you need to know is what the king has available to him. His subjects, his fortifications, his own abilities, ect. You're playing the role of a referee rather than a storyteller. You provide the initial push, but no more. The goal is for everyone involved to have fun and one of the best ways to do that is by being reactionary to what your players do and not plan out too much. You'll enjoy being surprised by what they throw at you just as much as they'll enjoy trying to accomplish their goals.
>>
>>51432385
And more generally, don't just know your group; actively acknowledge their interests by providing them with options they would seek (or, if they inquire about something, try to give them what they want).

Proactive players will go looking for trouble but you may need to "bring the game" and present specific challenges to the less vocal ones.
>>
Call me edgy, but I'm against giving advice to novice GM's. They would simply be confused and more likely to screw things up by following recommendations given out of context. The way to go is starting very simple, immediately throwing away the idea of trying to imitate a videogame (because this is in my experience the greatest bane of neophyte GM's), and slowly figuring things out on your own and learning as the need arises. The greatest GM's I know started out when there was nobody around to give them advice, so they had no choice but to become creative.
>>
File: inside you.jpg (166KB, 700x843px) Image search: [Google]
inside you.jpg
166KB, 700x843px
Every new GM could use some advice.

First and foremost being, don't stress out; the first step to being good at something is being kind of bad at it. Focus on what you're good at, and don't force things that you know you're weak at. If you can't do humor well, don't. If you can't do voices well, don't.

Second, don't bite off more than you can chew. Everyone wants to run a new system with a brand new homebrew world with a hundred creative and amazing ideas. This is a bad idea. Start small and work your way up. Use a module, use pregens, ignore splatbooks, prepare a bunch, do a few practice combats by yourself, etc. It will save you a lot of heartache.

Focus on keeping the action going, and try to be descriptive. Nobody wants to hear 'you hit him' [rolls some dice] 'and he hits you'.

If you aren't 100% sure about some rule, just make something up and keep going and check it afterwards. Rules are important, but pausing every 5 minutes to check a rule is a good way to ensure people get bored. Eventually you'll know all the rules by heart and things will go fast and smooth.

A little soft ambient music can add a lot to the mood.

Lastly, reflect and if necessary discuss with the players. Figure out what went well, what went poorly, and adjust as necessary for the next session. Sometimes you'll be surprised what everyone's favorite moment was.
>>
>>51406349
>DM Lesson #1: Whatever you put in front of the players, they will, without fail, kill, steal, maim, and burn it down.

Not everyone plays murderhobos. In fact I would even estimate the number of murderhobos to be under 40% of players.
>>
>>51426585
what
>>
File: FB_IMG_1485366970718.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1485366970718.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Zapato gato
>>
bump for advice thread
>>
>>51436226
That's still about 2 in average party.
So yeah.
>>
>>51413117
this. you're there to have fun and to tell a story, if anything that is meant to help you gets in the way of either fun or story, brush it off
dice are there just to take same thinking off your head and radomize, they are not crucial nor they are divine
>>
So I had a sort of dungeon corridor planned with an idol at the end of it, which the party needs. The corridor had a trap, one dude from the party made his prisoner walk into the trap to find it. I described what happened to prisoner explicitly (2 wall spikes cut through his head and chest). But after couple of hours they completely forgot this part and now make an elaborate plan with lasso and pillows to get the idol, while all I wanted from them is to duck and crawl akin to Indiana Jones movie trap. Should I have stopped the game to remind them what they saw when they went bonkers with overcomplicated plan? Or should I have started going all "You characters suddenly envision what happened to prisoner? Or just roll with their interpretation of what is happening?
>>
>>51440885
"Ok, roll Int to evaluate the plan details from IC perspective"
>he rolls
"You also realise that you should be able to crawl under it easily"
>>
>>51441556
Yeah, but the problem is they failed those rolls miserably, multiple times, so I didn't have the nerve to just give them the obvious. Is this wrong? Am I intentionally keeping knowledge from them in a bad way? And what is IC?
>>
>>51441726
IC=In-Character.

Well maybe you set the difficulty for those rolls too high.
>>
>>51406017
>Valhalla
Holy fuck that game was a disappointment. Should've just watched a longplay on YouTube.
>>
>>51441774
I guess I am overcomplicating the whole thing, but they really didn't roll high enough for even a basic action success. Natural 1 kind of failed roll.
>>
>>51441858
Natural 1 isn't an autofail on skillchecks in any D&D, stop perpetuating that dumbass meme.

And what, /every character in the party/ rolled it?
>>
>>51440885
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/37571/roleplaying-games/gm-dont-list-1-morphing-reality
This article might help you (second part, "Triage at the game table").

Personally I think it'd be cooler to retcon the trap into an imposing wall of spikes and go along with your player's crazy plan. Fun > sticking to your mental picture.

Also, don't bother with any bullshit "roll for applying basic logic" or "roll for remembering what you saw last time". Your PCs are adventurers. They don't forget that kind of shit. This is an out of character visualization problem.
>>
>>51441877
Thanks for the article, that was helpful.
>>
>>51440769
If you don't want there to be a chance of something happening, don't roll dice in the first place, but if you do, let the dice fall where they may.
>>
I've tried to DM a few times, but every time I do I feel like I'm stumbling over my words and taking too long to improvise the next "thing" or determine the ruling on certain things.

Is this just an experience thing?

How can I tell if my players are having fun despite how awkward I seem at it?
>>
>>51445038
> but every time I do I feel like I'm stumbling over my words and taking too long to improvise the next "thing" or determine the ruling on certain things.

That's normal, most people don't start out as a great suave GM.

Practice makes perfect. Reread the important rules again so you know most of them by heart. Hell, you can even practice improvisation by yourself.

>How can I tell if my players are having fun despite how awkward I seem at it?

If they keep coming back. Also, you can always just ask them.
>>
>>51445038
Prepare as much stuff as you can in advance. That way, even when you do have to improvise, you won't feel completely lost.
>>
>>51445038
>taking too long to improvise the next "thing" or determine the ruling on certain things.

For the 1st, plan out obstacles in advance. Don't plan how the players will beat the obstacles, that's up to them. Just make a dozen obstacles that lead up to each other, and then you'll know what to throw at them.

For determining ruling, that'll come with time. Alternatively, download a quick cheat sheet - there's plenty of fast reference material for pathfinder, shadowrun, D&D 5e, and so on to know how to grapple etc. Just have it printed out or open in another tab to quickly ctrl-f and find what you need.
>>
>>51406925
Ho? So it's finally starting to do rounds on 4chan? Good. It needs it. the game is golden.

The thread is alright too I guess.
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.