[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bullshit horrifying aliens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: imagesCAP8LSOT.jpg (9KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
imagesCAP8LSOT.jpg
9KB, 289x174px
Basically I'm building a jungle world for Stars Without Number and I need to populate this jungle with badass animals and aliens that give the world its reputation for being bad.
So far i have:
>this animal that looks like a fallen treetrunk, but is actually here to fuck you up when you stand on it or near it, has tentacles and shit, teeth like a beartrap, took inspiration from the bloodoak
>This "Shrieking Megabat" (pic related) with a wingspan the size of a lorry. Roosts in trees and only really eats fruit, but dont get in its zone or its gonna fuck you. Its echolocation shriek sounds like a person screaming, hence the same
>Devourer worms are these fucked up parasite worms that eat you from the inside out if you get bitten by one, on their own theyre pretty shit but dont fall into a nest
Now i could just put in a giant bear or something, but i want some more inspired and unique stuff going on here y'know, any sources of inspiration i could draw upon or just straight up ideas i can take? Cheers
>>
File: henders rat.jpg (140KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
henders rat.jpg
140KB, 600x776px
>>51400448
Try finding a book called "Fragment", by Warren Fahey. It's about zoologists that discover an island whose ecosystem has evolved independently from the rest of Earth's for the past four hundred million years. Lots of very dangerous, very nasty creatures. One of the big name ones is the "Henders Island rat", which if it lives long enough grows to become a "spiger", for spider-tiger. They're fucking terrifying.
>>
File: Dragon Spider.jpg (77KB, 1119x713px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Spider.jpg
77KB, 1119x713px
This is a Dragon Spider, all the power of a dragon with all the horror of a giant spider. Do with it what you will.
>>
>>51400448
Look up something on Goblinpuncher called the book of Tigers, it's exatly what you're looking ofr and then some
>>
File: 1482343097935.jpg (61KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
1482343097935.jpg
61KB, 854x859px
>>51402222
>>
Parasitic nervous worms which kill and infect corpses of animals and control their nervous system, often multiple animals at once

Realistically it would look like a small cluster of decaying animals slowly lumbering through the jungle to find prey, connected by the parasitic tendrils.
>>
>>51402478
This just makes me imagine a large deer or antelope wandering through some trees and a hunter knocking it down, only for him to walk over and get parasitized.
>>
>>51402222
Quads of true terror.
>>
>>51400448
>alien
>tree
terraformed, at best.
>>
>>51400448
Small smelly mammals or insects that love to get into technology and chew on anything they can get, like a cross between the worst stinkbug ever and fire ants. For bonus hate, they're highly territorial and have nests everywhere and reproduce like crazy.
>>
>>51400827
Seconding this. I only opened this thread to say exactly what he already did. It's one of the few books I've kept with me throughout moving around place to place every 6 months as a college student.
>>
>>51400448

What are your players? How do they act? What kind of equipment do they carry?

The best terror beasts are the ones you don't see. You're on the right track with the camouflaged trunkbeast. Try and make something like a trapdoor spider or predators that hunt at night. Ectothermal predators that are difficult to detect via thermal scans would be better than supertough apex predators that can't realistically stand up to plasma weapons or antitank rockets.

What's scarier? The T-Rex you can escape and hide from, or the raptors that stalk you and actively use tactics?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.