[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a good RPG that lets the players command a troop or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Is there a good RPG that lets the players command a troop or mercenary company or any other autonomous unit of badasses in the vein of a Space Marines chapter, Black Company or the Bridgeburners?
>>
Technically you can use D&D's miniatures handbook. Pathfinder has rules for armies and such.

Reign is a one roll system that's good for combined intrigue and leadership stuff.

Iron Kingdoms is great if you're just trying to scratch a war gaming itch.
>>
File: a9747784d85b0fed9787df6e7bc14ab2.jpg (609KB, 833x1078px) Image search: [Google]
a9747784d85b0fed9787df6e7bc14ab2.jpg
609KB, 833x1078px
>>51395782
Only War
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Only_War
>>
>>51395926
Isn't Only War more about following orders than being an independent band of badasses?
>>
>>51395782
IIRC, Savage Worlds was originally designed as an RPG with heavy squad tactics elements. There are a lot of supplements and resources to that end.

Never played it, so I couldn't tell you if it's actually worth diving into at all.
>>
>>51396074
In Only War, a player character can achieve the Class/Rank of commander. You can totally lead a band of badass fighting men in the game. Heck, you can technically get to Salient/Crusade command levels in the Requisitions section of the core rulebook. Although commander class rules are found in the "Hammer of the Emperor" supplement
>>
>>51396074
Plus, before I forget to mention, the starting classes can be a Sergeant or Commissar. You don't /have/ to be Imperial Guard
>>
>>51396142
Oh, nice. Still compared to the examples in the OP there's not much autonomy to an Adeptus Militatum force
>>
>>51395782
You'd be best served by finding your favorite rpg and your favorite mass combat system and jamming them together. Only War is not what you need - you'd be better off going full warhammer tabletop.
Although, I will be checking out Reign and Iron Kingdoms meself, as i don't know those games...
>>
>>51395782
There is a black company campaign setting for 3.5 that had fairly use able rules for controlling your own mercenary band.
>>
>>51395782
A Song of Fire and Ice RPG has rules for scaled up combat like that.

There's also the Minions grouping system in FFG Star Wars.
>>
>>51395782
What kind of mechanics are you looking for specifically? Because a lot of what you want can be achieved via Deathwatch for Space Marines or <insert favorite fantasy rpg of choice> for the other two. I mean, an adventuring party is essentially a group of badasses anyways. If you're looking to include things like mass combat, note that the neither the Bridgeburners or Black Company got into many instances of mass combat so you're well within your rights to go "there's a war raging around you. what do you do?" to your players
>>
>>51400172
Ideally sth that would combine mass combat tactics, individual heroic combat and strategy/resource management (as in where do we send which forces etc).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.