[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do you draw the line between Eucatastrophe and asspull?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (71KB, 1298x765px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
71KB, 1298x765px
Where do you draw the line between Eucatastrophe and asspull?
>>
>>51389717
IMO eucatastrophe relies on something happening that is feasible, if unexpected. For example, your pic related works because God's immense power is continually displayed throughout the movie, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to split the Red Sea.

An asspull, on the other hand, is something that is unexpected, infeasible, and/or ruins the rest of the story via fridge logic. A lot of sci-fi/horror movies fall into this category.
>>
>>51389771
>An asspull is something that is unexpected

LAME AND BORING

code geass was a masterpiece you lil bish
>>
>>51389771
This right here. It's not so much asspull for Moses. He was essentially a avatar, or vessel for God if you will. D&D wise I suppose it would be something like Chosen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4
>>
An asspull's pretty simple. It's when you've got NO idea where a twist comes from, so the conclusion is "oh, the writer must have pulled it out of their ass."

If the alien invasion is defeated by a superweapon reverse-engineered in Area 51, it's probably not an ass pull.

If the alien invasion is defeated by Dracula... ass pull.

That said, sometimes the unexpected can make a better story.
>>
>>51390908
>If the alien invasion is defeated by a superweapon reverse-engineered in Area 51, it's probably not an ass pull.
Depends. Was Area 51 in any way mentioned or hinted at before? Was there any way the guys there could have gotten their hands on alien tech to reverse-engineer? Otherwisse it's just as much of an asspull
>>
>>51390918
Well yeah, but I'm talking a standard, Independence Day style utterly generic alien plot.

Wicked Witch melting when exposed to water (that she kept in an open container around her home)? Ass pull. At least in the film.
>>
>>51389717

Eucatastrophe
>an unexpected resolution that's been hinted at throughout the rest of the story but not obvious

Asspull
>deus ex machina out of fucking nowhere because they've painted themselves into a corner
>>
>>51390908
>If the alien invasion is defeated by Dracula
be honest, you want to see that happen in a movie. just like a serious sci-fi alien invasion movie and then suddenly in the third act dracula shows up
>>
>>51393768
>>51390908

Out of The Dark?
>>
>>51389717
Strictly in the reception
>>
>>51393821
I actually liked that story.
>>
>>51393845
This
>>
>>51393768
Well if you want it the other way around Plan 9 From outer Space started as a Dracula movie, but Bela Lugosi died part way through filming, do Ed Wood said "Fuck it, we'll use a double (who as not nearly as tall as Bela) and turn it into an Alien Movie. But still use the Bela film. That shit cost me money."
>>
>>51389847
anime is for emotionally immature people
>>
>>51394820
wait a minute
Is that what this is in reference to? https://youtu.be/OKRJfIPiJGY
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.