[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gurps General Chicken > Pig

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 49

File: 1484608413360.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1484608413360.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Gurps General

Chicken > Pig
>>
Why do you use GURPS?
>>
>>51384678
I like it.
>>
This thread is fucking dead. Bumping with the hope that it can come back to life.
>>
>>51384678
It was the first system I learned, and I never found a real reason to learn any others, if GURPS can run anything I want, what's the point?
>>
>>51384618
Pig > Chicken.
Prove me wrong.
Protip: you can't
>>51384678
It's good. I like to use good things.
>>
How the fuck does space combat work??? Everyone seems to recommend compendium 2 3rd edition space opera rules?
>>
How would you stat Bruce Lee? I looked in both volumes of Who's Who, but he's not in them.
>>
>>51386758
He's one of the martial arts masters of the mid 20th century, and there's a lot of ways you could look at it.

You could say that he's high human average. Good ST, DX, HT and IQ, charismatic, with very high levels in Karatie and support skills, acting, teaching, ect.

The 'cinematic' Bruce Lee is of course an option too.
>>
Campaign ideas for historical Wild West game??
>>
File: 1482809694652.jpg (269KB, 579x800px) Image search: [Google]
1482809694652.jpg
269KB, 579x800px
>>51387207

It's after the civil war and a silver strike out west is luring people. A friend of yours sent you a letter asking for your help and saying he'd found something big that could make you rich.. but when you arrive, your friend is dead.
>>
>>51387340
sounds cool. Like some sort of murder mystery. Maybe he owed some depserados from new mexico some money. I wanted to set it somewhere in the colorado territory, because through some research i found out the indians were still actively resisting there till like the late 1870s.
>>
File: 1351372206507.jpg (37KB, 314x263px) Image search: [Google]
1351372206507.jpg
37KB, 314x263px
>Finally get a game up and going.
>It's going really well and everyone's having fun.
>I keep coming back to ideas and notes for other campaigns.
>Desire to run them instead is mounting

stOP
>>
File: Queen of Esrolia.jpg (548KB, 1013x802px) Image search: [Google]
Queen of Esrolia.jpg
548KB, 1013x802px
Can someone explain to me why a longsword has reach 1,2 and a spear has reach 1?
>>
File: image_thumb12.png (310KB, 504x380px) Image search: [Google]
image_thumb12.png
310KB, 504x380px
>>51389152
Because of ballance. Used one handed the handy, light Spear in the basic set must be held close to the ballance, meaning only half of the weapon is forward of the grip.

Used two handed the same spear has reach 1,2 because it can be grasped near the base.
>>
>>51389152
Spear has a reach of 1, 2 if used in 2 hands (where you can hold it farther back). With only one hand, you need to hold it near the middle/upper end, so you don't get a whole lot of reach.

What GURPS calls a longsword is what other systems (namely, D&D) calls a bastard sword. It is rather long, and only has a reach of 1, 2 when thrusting with it. Swinging it only has a reach of 1.

A GURPS broadsword is what a lot of other systems call a longsword. It only has a reach of 1.
>>
>>51389152
Longsword, on the other hand, is held with two hands on the hilt in the stance that the basic rules assume, allowing you to strike at reach 2 without a problem.
>>
File: Treaty.png (801KB, 700x554px) Image search: [Google]
Treaty.png
801KB, 700x554px
>>51389356
I guess I picture a spear being about six to seven feet long... which should leave plenty of length to be equivalent to a longsword with 3 feet of blade, right?

>>51389388
The thrusting only property to the reach 2 makes sense, actually. Need to lunge a bit to get that extra length.

I've always imagined the taxonomy of swords thusly:

shortsword<broadsword<bastard sword<longsword<greatsword
>>
File: mar0.jpg (283KB, 782x1022px) Image search: [Google]
mar0.jpg
283KB, 782x1022px
>>
>>51385135
>Pig > Chicken
>Implying this hard
>Forgetting about existence of godly delicious ducks
>And beef
>>
Are 250 points characters (Like in Dungeon Fantasy) superhumans?
>>
>>51391398
Not necessarily. The POTUS can probably rack up 250 points or maybe more, varying with competency. Points are all about how you use them. 250 points is just very, very generous in terms of a player's character.
>>
>>51391442
Which POTUS? that changed recently.
>>
>>51391454
I was speaking generally, my friend. Merely being in command of so many resources gives you incredible power, in GURPS terms, which is very expensive.
>>
>>51391474
Oh, okay.
>>
File: 1475304271247.jpg (124KB, 600x534px) Image search: [Google]
1475304271247.jpg
124KB, 600x534px
>>51391442
Solid point. High point totals just mean characters are powerful and/or have a lot of options, but don't necessarily mean they are outside the normal.

GURPS tends to break down super humans in a few ways:

The first is just being able to get Supernatural (marked with a lightning bolt) and Exotic (marked with an alien head) advantages. These tend to be very powerful abilities, or at least strange ones, and can make a person superhuman even if they don't have many points to throw around. The little girl from Firestarter would be superhuman, even if she is a 12 year old that weighs eighty pounds.

Another way is the ability to take Cinematic advantages and use Cinematic rules. These aren't strictly superhuman but do tend to create characters that can do things no normal person could, like fist-fight a huge room full of police officers and knock people out with acupuncture like Jet Lee's character in The Red Dragon. (Mook Chilvery and impossible uses of Esoteric Medicine, a skill that in more realistic GURPS is defined as "a way to waste some points, does nothing").
>>
File: Del_Duque.png (395KB, 1288x1278px) Image search: [Google]
Del_Duque.png
395KB, 1288x1278px
>>51391213
>>
>>51392058
>no Code of Honor
>no Lucha Lore
Disgusting.
>>
>>51389437
What GURPS calls a spear seems to be a relatively short weapon, no more than six feet long and the cut-off point for reach 2 seems to be about three feet in front of the hand. Most military spears should probably be 'long spears' in GURPS rules, with the standard spear being a skirmisher's or hunter's weapon (supported by the fact it can be thrown without penalty).

>>51391474
Does being the most powerful man in the world actually cost that many points?

Presidents in general don't seem to be geniuses and I seem to recall some article which says the optimal intelligence level for being popular with a group is one or two standard deviations above the group mean, which implies maybe IQ 12 in GURPS terms for a typical president. Their Will is probably higher than that, but Per has no reason to be above average. Call it [40] in attributes.

A president almost certainly has Charisma, but probably not world-class levels of it. Say two levels for a typical president for another [10]. Appearance is unlikely to be below Average, but seldom seems to get better than Attractive. We'll go with Attractive for [4] more.

Presidents always have huge reputations, but they are both loved and hated. Let's say that most of them have +4 with their political supporters [10] and -2 with their political opponents [-5].

Presidents are usually multimillionaires; let's say Multimillionaire 1 [75] is typical. This gives two levels of Status for free.

According to Social Engineering, FDR had Political Rank 7 and Status 7. Arguably, the modern-day US government has expanded it's power enough that the president might qualify for Rank 8 [40] and Status 8 [15] (including the +5 free Status from Wealth and Rank).

That's 189 points before Skills, Talents, Allies and so on. Presidents also generally have a few disadvantages; most of them are elderly and will have some lowered physical stats, they usually have Enemies, really bad reputations with small groups, etc.
>>
>>51392235
As a politician, allies might just be one of his largest point sinks and are not to be ignored, and they should qualify for allies and contacts across the other branches of the government (variable to how well liked he is within and outside of his party, what friends and enemies he's made along the way). International allies, while not sworn to obey his word, hold considerable power themselves and are loathe to ignore the president of the united states in international matters. The Secret Service, a large organization dedicated to the president's safety is also to be considered. The CIA, arguably the largest intelligence organization in the world can put in the president's hands almost any piece of information he might require. As the commander in chief, Rank gives him command of the largest military force in the world, yes. But the president is also in command of the country's nuclear arsenal, capable of unimaginable destructive power.
>>
File: 562628_1000_1_800.jpg (114KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
562628_1000_1_800.jpg
114KB, 800x800px
>>51384618
I'm really surprised that a game as generic as GURPS doesn't have a chapter about creating your own attributes that differ from the main ones presented.

Attributes are simply aspects of someone or something we see as especially important, right? So why not create our own attributes for things that might be relevant for the campaign / adventure. Like say you're playing a game on a dream scape, then perhaps it'd make sense to have an imagination attribute of sorts, which would affect your ability to change the world around you for instance. Maybe you're playing a city management game, perhaps it'd be good to track things like the average education level of the population and so on. With it's advantage and disadvantage system, GURPS is already pretty open ended, but I feel this would make it the perfect system.

What do you guys think about this, have any of you tried to create your own custom attributes and some advantages / skills to go along with them? Do you think it'd be a good idea, or do you think it'd dilute the system too much to the point where it really wouldn't be a "system" any more?
>>
>>51392783
Read books 'till u don't get how the things work.
>>
Are dinosaurs statted out anywhere?
>>
>>51393224
Lands out of time.
>>
>>51393292
Ah, don't have that, thanks.
>>
File: Dinosaur War.jpg (71KB, 379x550px) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaur War.jpg
71KB, 379x550px
Reposting, because I'm not happy with the replies I got last thread.

Small problem I just noticed with morphing.
So you can only morph into a creature that has an acceptably low template cost, yeah? So if you have 25 points to spend on forms, you can turn into say, a wolf, but not a saltwater crocodile. Makes sense, appropriate check on power.

I'm trying to stat out a character that's essentially beast boy using the Animalia site, which is a great resource. But take a look at the template costs, and tell me if you see a problem. I've taken off the negative cost for intelligence, and included the ST bonus as a way of showing the effective power of the template in play:
>Smilodon: 186 points (ST+10)
>Saltwater Crocodile: 174 points (ST+12)
>Polar Bear: 259(!) points (ST+15)
>Allosaurus: 193 points (ST+26)
>Giganotosaurus: 187 points (ST+43)

Someone else pointed out last thread that the bear is overcosted, so ignore the bear. How about the fact that it only costs 1 point more to turn into a giganotosaurus than a smilodon, or that the (significantly more versatile and stronger) crocodile is CHEAPER than Smilodon?

It seems to me that the ability to turn into massive creatures is WAY undercosted, due to how cheaply they can buy ST. Has this been addressed anywhere, or am I just making a fool of myself?

>>51392853
IMO, GURPS dinosaurs is the greatest dinosaur related RPG supplement ever written. It's 3rd edtion, but it really wouldn't be hard to convert to 4th. The only thing that would be significantly different is the ST scores, and that's easy because the weights are listed in every entry.

If you don't feel like converting, and don't care about dino accuracy/variety then yeah, Lands out of Time is fine. Just be careful if you use the t. rex, they misprinted its ST
>>
>>51392783
The problem from the writers' perspective is that they need each thing they publish to be as compatible as possible with every other thing published for the system. If you change the cost of a trait or remove it, that will break any pre-made stuff which relies on it. In the case of attributes, that's most of the system.

If you're going to need unusual stuff, better to add it in the places where new things are meant to go: advantages, disadvantages and skills.

>>51392623
>As a politician, allies might just be one of his largest point sinks and are not to be ignored...

Really, most of that seems like Rank and Status to me. Your country's allies certainly don't count as Allies in the GURPS advantage sense. They are part of what makes the leader of that country Status/Rank 8 instead of the lesser Status and Rank the ruler of a weaker country has. Likewise, the Secret Service seem to be roughly the kind of guards I would expect a person with that kind of rank and status to have, the CIA is part of what a superpower country just has available to it and is likewise part of what makes the POTUS a rank/status 8 position.

Only people who are personally loyal to you should be counted as Allies and Contacts in my opinion and while the president certainly has many powerful friends, most of them will be part of a 'Contact Group' which is a pretty efficient way to spend your points. Someone who makes it easier to get a bill passed seems like a 'Contact' in GURPS, while Allies are more like people who will kill a hooker and bury her where she will never be found if you ask them to. How many of those a president has is debatable, but probably not that many.
>>
>>51393485
It's hard to say without knowing exactly which options you chose (I get both Smilodon and the saltwater crocodile as having +9 ST and SM +1) but it doesn't look like the difference is really in the ST scores. Rather, the cat has higher DX and, like the bear, fucking good hearing compared to reptiles.

I also think you are overlooking quite how bad large Size Modifiers are. They add to all rolls to hit you and deduct from your rolls to hit opponents in melee. That's fucking horrific. Attacking something even a bit smaller than you is a major issue in GURPS.
>>
>>51392783
GURPS Thaumatology talks about basing magic off of different attributes than IQ. One of the recommendations is a flat 10+Magery. This can be easily extrapolated to near anything. Playing a game about elemental warriors? Introduce the Fire, Water, Air, and Earth attributes that start at 10 like every other attribute and cost 5 points/level, or simply the Element attribute that costs 10 points/level. It's the same base as 10+Talent but disguised as an attribute.
>>
>>51393504
>The problem from the writers' perspective is that they need each thing they publish to be as compatible as possible with every other thing published for the system. If you change the cost of a trait or remove it, that will break any pre-made stuff which relies on it. In the case of attributes, that's most of the system.

I get that, but I see no reason why they can't just give us some hints or tips if we do want to go there, the same way they do with advantages and such. Some things cannot quite be captured as easily if they are advantages, and in the case of new attributes with their own set of abilities / related advantages / skills, I don't see how it could break things THAT bad. It would just be a parallel set of options, and IMO that's what GURPS is all about.

I guess you wouldn't do it if you were playing with strangers and relying mostly on what is written, but I think it'd be fairly organic to change the attributes themselves if everyone was on the same page with it; call it a "pseudo-system" derived from the GURPS one, if you will.

>>51393793
This sounds cool, I gotta read that, thanks.
>>
>>51384678

Want to play Low Tech game with some fantasy elements, like say common herbs that can cure shit, pretty good health care, etc?

GURPS can do.

Wanna make that setting to actually be a lost colony of a SciFi setting where those herbs exist because of genetic engineering, and they universe makes contact with your world again?

GURPS can do.

Want a high fantasy game where there's many kinds of magic, where wizards are casting set powerful spells from rote with little flexibility, and sorcerers cast flexible magic with less power, and priests chant and work for days but can cover entire townships with a single spell?

GURPS can do.
>>
>>51394159

Imbuement would seem like the way to go. It's probably worth a -20% to -30% for having each skill limited to a weapon designed specifically for it.
>>
Hi all, in need of a bit of help.

I posted here not too long ago asking for help converting my 5e campaign to GURPS. After some feedback, I've been able to convert most stuff pretty easily (I can post the char sheets if there's interest), but I've hit a bit of a stumbling block.

One of my players uses the gunslinger archetype (pdf related),, and I'm not sure what guns to have him use. We play a pretty high magic campaign, so I'm not really worried about him being too powerful or anything like that, I just really don't know what to give him in GURPS. The specific guns he has are:

>rifle, outfitted with a scope that can see onto the ethereal plane. Is able to shoot 'acid' bullets
>Two pistols, one that can shoot 'ice' bullets, and one that can shoot 'fire' bullets
>'Bad News', essentially a sniper rifle. No other special qualities, but deals a shit ton of damage

We basically use the stats in the Could anyone recommend me some equipment/skills to give him? I'd like to keep it TL 5 or lower, but if that's not doable higher is fine too.
>>
>>51394159
There's a bunch of different ways to do that kind of thing. I'm not really familiar with later editions of D&D or how they handle gunslingers, so apologies if this makes some bad assumptions...

One method is to simply have guns which shoot bolts of fire, acid, ice, etc. be simply equipment which anyone can buy (or build, with suitable advantages and skills). Make up stats for them based on existing weapons which you think are balanced (probably late TL4 / early TL5 to compete with cinematic archers and crossbows). If you feel you need a more structured framework for setting a suitable price, take a look at Metatronic Generators from Pyramid 3#46.

Another is to have the gunslinger buy the guns as innate attacks with gadget modifiers. This requires less in the way of judgement calls from you, but does mean he has to spend points on them while everyone else gets to buy their equipment from the shop. Probably only suitable if the guns are somewhat better than weapons you can buy for cash. Does give the gunslinger a unique 'niche' that others can't intrude on.

You could have the gunslinger use normal guns but allow them to make the bullets do crazy shit with Imbuements. This doesn't seem to fit especially well with the idea that each gun has a unique attack type, because Imbuements would generally let you make any of your guns shoot ice, etc.

You could use one of the magic systems to represent the 'weird technology' of fantasy-tech firearms. Ritual Path Magic limited to only making bullet charms works well if you want to have the ammunition be what is special. Standard magic system wands with missile spells re-fluffed as guns could work too.
>>
>>51394218
>>51394425
Thanks guys.
>imbuements
What book is that in?

>Make up stats for them based on existing weapons which you think are balanced
Which weapons would make sense? I'm not really familiar with firearms, so I'm not really sure what from the Basic Set would fit thematically. The stats for the weapons are on page 2 here:>>51394262

>Another is to have the gunslinger buy the guns as innate attacks with gadget modifiers.
I REALLY like this idea. His point total is a bit lower than the other characters at the moment, and guns are the only thing he really does, so I'd say this works really well.
>>
>>51394262

For a very quick solution, try Pyramid 36, which has the Musketeer template for Dungeon Fantasy.

Going through the PDF, it seems most of this stuff is basically covered by just using existing GURPS rules for guns.

Having access to guns when most other people don't or better guns than are available to others is probably one of:

High TL (1, Only for Firearms, -80%)
Perk: Better (Guns) (Power Ups 2, p.8) or Early Adopter (Gun Fu, p. 18)
Unusual Background

...all of which should be about 1 point.

If you really want to emulate Grit as an expendable resource, you can do it as type of Energy Reserve which you can only spend on gun-related stuff (probably Imbuements or Gunslinger with Costs Fatigue) or a pool of impulse buy points (see Power Ups 5; works especially well if you use the Guns! wildcard skill). Impulse buy options could possibly be unlocked one at a time with perks (so you can only buy successes on skill rolls by default, but a perk lets you buy maximums on damage rolls, for example).

Specific deeds in detail:

Deadeye. This could just be aiming, making an all-out-attack, precision aiming, or some other normal combat option which makes hitting easier. If using Imbuements, it's Far Shot, Homing Weapon or Guided Weapon. If using Impulse Buys, it's buying a success on your attack roll.

Quick Draw is just the GURPS Fast Draw skill. If you have Guns! you can use that for this. The Fastest Gun in the West perk (Gun Fu, p. 18) might be appropriate, as would cinematic advanced holsters.

Violent shot seems to represent loading an extra-powerful charge of powder into your gun. This could simply use the normal rules on High-Tech p. 165 or Low-Tech p. 95. this is a bit weak compared to the gunslinger ability though. Alternatively, it could be done as an Imbuement like penetrating strike, although there isn't a perfect match for just doing more damage with Imbuements. With impulse buys, it's buying maximum scores on your damage dice...(split for length)
>>
>>51384618
So, there is a GURPS book called "building the low tech environment" or something like that but i can't find it, does someone have a link or pyramid number?
>>
>>51394989
Nvm a friend found it, its called; 'bulding the low-tech landscape'
>>
>>51394874
(continued)

Trick Shot is probably just using the normal GURPS rules for hit locations, but you can make it more effective by buying up the Targeted Attack technique, using the Crippling Blow Imbuement or buying failures for your target's rolls to resist knockdown, crippling, etc. with Impulse Buys.

Lightning Reload is probably several levels of the Quick Reload perk (Gun Fu, p. 21) plus slightly advanced loading technology like paper cartridges (possibly requiring a perk level unusual background).

Cheat Death seems like it could be any advantage that increases surviveabilty. Hard to Kill and Extra Life are especially appropriate. Alternatively, it's an example of an Impulse Buy.

Mortal Shot isn't easily mapped to anything except an Impulse Buy to max out damage, force a failed HT roll or mess with the critical hit table. However, the general feel of it can be represented by buying up the Targeted Attack (Vitals) technique or with a custom perk which lets you re-roll on the critical hit table when using guns.

For the guns:

The pistol seems a bit weird in that it gets four shots before needing to reload. The best match is probably the Mariette Poivrière (Adventure Guns, p. 9) or possibly the Collier Revolver (High-Tech, p. 92) or the Duck's Foot pistol (Low-Tech, pp. 93).

The musket could be a generic Flintlock Musket (Basic Set, p. 279), Brown Bess, North-West Gun or Fusil Mle 1777 (High-Tech, p. 107) or an Arquebus or Teppo (Low-Tech, p. 92).

The pepperbox seems closest to the Allen Pepperbox (High-Tech, p. 92) or the Cogswell Improved Repeating Pistol (Adventure Guns, p. 10) although both are a bit weedy compared to the D&D version.

The scattergun seems could be a double fowling piece (Low-Tech, p. 92) loaded with larger balls, or a double-barreled version of the blunderbuss (also LT, p. 92).

(...split again...)
>>
>>51394534
Imbuements is Power-Ups 1.

>>51394874
>>51395616

Bad News could be a Musket (Low-Tech, p. 92), based on the weight, but a rifle like the Jäger Rifle (Low-Tech, p. 94) or Kentucky Rifle (Low-Tech, p. 107) loaded up with accessories like a fixed-power scope (High-Tech, p. 156, probably made heavier or restricted to lower magnification for being introduced earlier than it should be available), a bipod (again, with increased weight for being anachronistic), musket rest or shooting stick, a rifle sling and maybe counting a carrying case in it's weight to get it up to the 25 lbs. figure.

Elemental effects are obviously not realistic and depend on what magic system you want to use and possibly how they are justified in game. The basic magic system allows you to enchant your guns with flaming missiles or icy missiles easily enough; unfortunately, there isn't an acid missiles spell, but you can easily extrapolate it.

If you want to do the guns as innate attacks, looking at equipment stats is still helpful for gauging what numbers to assign them. Generally, IAs should be good enough that they are worth paying points for, but not totally overshadow mundane weapons. I can write up some suggestions, but I'm going to need a little bit of time...
>>
>>51392783
>I'm really surprised that a game as generic as GURPS doesn't have a chapter about creating your own attributes that differ from the main ones presented.
>Attributes are simply aspects of someone or something we see as especially important, right? So why not create our own attributes for things that might be relevant for the campaign / adventure.

Basic Set basically includes a blueprint for this, Magery.

How much does it cost to raise ST? 10 points. How much does it cost to raise Magery? 10 points.

So, if it's a specialized attribute that not everyone has it's a 5 point buy in
>>
Shilling the /tg/ discord because /5eg/ is migrating from their discord to here. Please dont let it be overrunn by DnD.
https://discord.gg/2q83hHm
>>
>>51396027
It won't be, I'd wager that more than half of the 5e people were probably already on /tg/'s discord. Anybody that leaves though will be among the worst /5eg/ has to offer though.
>>
>>51395866

OK here's how I would stat the guns as Innate Attacks:

Rifle [17]

Corrosive Attack 4d (Accurate, 1, +5%; Breakable, DR 5, Mechanical, SM-2, -40%; Can be Stolen, Requires Contest, -30%; Increased Range, ×10, +30%; Limited Use, 1, Slow Reload, -35%) [12]
and
See Invisible (Ethereal; Breakable, DR 5, Mechanical, SM-4, -35%; Can be Stolen, Requires Contest, -30%) [6].
Pistols [17]

Burning Attack 2d (Breakable, DR 5, Mechanical, SM-4, -35%; Can be Stolen, Requires Contest, -30%; Inaccurate 1, -5%; Increased Range, ×5, +20%; Limited Use, 4, Slow Reload, -15%) [4]

and

Large Piercing Attack 1d (Breakable, DR 5, Mechanical, SM-4, -35%; Can be Stolen, Requires Contest, -30%; Inaccurate 1, -5%; Increased Range, ×5, +20%; Limited Use, 4, Slow Reload, -15%) [3]

and

Fatigue Attack 1d (Follow-Up, Large Piercing Attack, +5%; Hazard, Freezing, +20%; Resistible, HT, -30%) [10]

Bad News [14]

Huge Piercing Attack 5d (Accurate, 2, +10%; Breakable, DR 5, Mechanical, SM-2, -40%; Can be Stolen, Requires Contest, -30%; Increased Range, ×10, +30%; Limited Use, 1, Slow Reload, -35%) [14]

Then buy the pistols and Bad News as alternative abilities for 1/5 cost, reducing them to [4] and [3]. Total cost [24].
>>
Does anyone know where I can find GVB? It's not in the trove.
>>
Are there any alternative alchemy rules? The ones in Magic seem like they would be overpowered in any campaign where you have serious prep time (and completely useless if you don't).
>>
As someone who has never played GURPS, if I wanted to use it to run either a post apocalyptic setting or a space/scifi setting, which edition/books would you recommend starting with? Or would you even recommend GURPS for these settings?
>>
>>51400732
4e is superior to 3e in every way; GURPS doesn't try to (poorly) reinvent the wheel every edition like D&D.

Read and play GURPS Lite to get a grasp of the rules.

After the End 1 & 2 are the post-apoc supplements.

It's fine to start with either of those. Remember to have fun and not throw in every rule or every option. Meaning, don't use tactical combat if you don't want to, don't use magic if you don't want to, etc.

Have fun, and ask us questions if you have more.
>>
>>51400783
Thank you anon. Ill be reading up on those.

Any suggestions for the space/scifi?
>>
>>51400872
I hate space/scifi so I'll let someone else answer it. GURPS Space is the generic space book, and spaceships is apparently a series about spaceships, though I've never read either.
>>
>>51397387

GVB? GURPS Vehicle Builder?
>>
Am I missing something or is Spaceship combat extremely deadly?

Conventional guns seems like they guarantee that no matter what you're taking out a system if not an entire hull section with every hit, that is if you don't just one shot the ship completely, but then a second hit is a guaranteed kill.
>>
>>51401154

As far as I can tell, it's deadly, not very generic, not fun to play and possibly not even especially realistic. However, I've never actually played with it, so this is pure hearsay and the rough impression I get looking at the numbers.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to fix the issue but I suspect one major problem is that the GURPS rapid fire rules encourage you to take shitloads of different weapons to maximise the amount of attack rolls you make instead of grouping them all together into an easily managed high RoF one.
>>
File: jmb pistol evolution.jpg (2MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
jmb pistol evolution.jpg
2MB, 4272x2848px
I'm going to run an Aliens game and I need stats, advantages, disadvantages, etc. for the xenomorphs. Does anyone know what the stats are or where to find them?
>>
>>51400732
I would recommend the full basic set if you wanna be a GM but you can start with GURPS lite if you want. GURPS can model most settings just fine but the details of the setting really matter. For example, do you want a taticool post apocalyptic campaign with operators operating operations or a high space fantasy campaign where people regularly shrug off bullets. Either way these details will matter as GURPS uses heroic realism by default.
>>
>>51400899
>I hate space/scifi
My man!
>>
>>51401154
You haven't missed a thing. "Eggshells armed with warhammers" is a phrase I've often seen used to describe spaceship combat. This is true even when using errata'd damage values.

That being said, there are some solutions scattered throughout Pyramid. "So You Want to Build a Spaceship" from #3/94 is all about using rules tweaks to better emulate a given genre of space combat such as submarine-esque seek-and-destroy combat and grand fleet exchanges a'la LoGH. Add in the dogfighting stuff from Spaceships 7 and you've got a good number of alternatives to the default pseudo-realistic combat system. "Alternative Spaceships" from #3/34 is a great read all around and I'm sad it's not a "true" Spaceships entry, but it's especially good for you because it introduces the Armor and Volume rule; if you dedicate more than 4 systems to armor, you get a multiplier for total DR, and dedicating more than 12 systems makes you effectively smaller and thus harder to hit. Dedicating two systems per section to armor is a reasonable expectation for ships expected to see combat, so survivability across the board goes up, plus ultra-heavy dreadnought flying balls of armor may become viable (I think the do, but I haven't crunched the numbers yet). "Armor Revisited" form the same issue introduces the concept of armor as dice (e.g. 2d of DR reduces an incoming attack from 3d damage to 1d damage); the system sort of struggles with lower DR levels, but it'd be great at mitigating the huge damage and armor values of Spaceships and it in general makes armor more valuable.
>>
>>51401337
Monster Hunter 5: Applied Xenology has a horrifying mashup of xenomorphs and XCOM's chryssalids ready to inflict on players called Insectoids.
>>
File: 1482306877324.png (2MB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1482306877324.png
2MB, 1024x681px
>>51401596
thanks anon
>>
>>51399700
A few. RPM has rules for translating rituals into alchemical potions. "Metatronic Generators" from Pyramid #3/46 has rules for translating any GURPS attack into a device with a cash cost; you can make one-use grenades, remove all the technobabble stuff and fluff them as alchemical grenades, and use a crafting system of your choice.

Though if you're happy with how Magic's alchemy works as a base and your only big issue is the preptime requirement, it's easier to just change the preptime. Check out "Dungeon Brewmasters" from Pyramid #3/82; it has new rules for much faster and less exploitable alchemy suitable for adventurers.
>>
>>51401564
Thanks anon, I'll have a look at those options.

Another ship related question, the space combat rules seem insanely complicated. Are there simpler rules somewhere for more unrealistic and cinematic style space combat? Like if I just used dogfighting rules would those be any easier?
>>
File: GM clearly played Zelda.jpg (302KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
GM clearly played Zelda.jpg
302KB, 1200x808px
>>51384618
chibblys a best

and I'm not just saying that because they ended up a bizarre religious symbol in my game
>>
Are Meta-Spells their own "School" for meeting requirements for the Enchant spell (requiring spells from 10 schools).
>>
>>51401142

Yeah, it's some oldschool Windows program that does the differential equations for you. I had it before but must have cleared it out
>>
So I'm thinking of running a game with mecha in GURPS, and I want to weigh my options.

Using the Starships mecha rules seems to be the "easymode" rout designing-wise, with all the plug in systems and weapons in stuff. The problem that I foresee with that is the above mentioned "eggshells armed with war hammers" issue mentioned above, as well as a fairly limited set of options.

The other option is building mecha as big characters, this seems like it'd give the most options for equipment and systems but will be the most work design-wise.

Which ones have you used?
>>
File: 1392815518776.png (228KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1392815518776.png
228KB, 640x480px
Soooo.. I decided to go with GURPS (couple of months ago) only because I assumed it was the go-to system if I liked action points in RPGs.

After reading through Basic, Martial Arts, Low-Tech, a bunch of Pyramids, and fuckton of forum threads, I realized that the Last Gasp is not really.. encouraged.

Was I wrong to fall for this meme? I kinda like the Last Gasp. I searched for it on 4chan archive, and many anons weren't big fans of it. After playing a one-shot with both LG and default system, the latter seems a bit stale to me.
>>
>>51408231
Last Gasp requires more bookkeeping and not everyone likes it. I guess default rules work good enough for most people.
>>
Could anyone explain to me the "+4 routine bonus" and when does it apply? Reading through the SJGames forums, it appears that even resident posters themselves have some trouble applying it properly.

And is it worth to just use the BAD modifier system?
>>
>>51408664
BAD's a huge time saver. If you don't already have all the modifiers set up, BAD keeps the game going, and that's vital in many games.

Coming from a DnD background, I've always treated that +4 as taking 10; do it when the situation's not extreme, stressful, or chaotic. It's the bonus for mundane day-to-day tasks rather than adventuring.
>>
>>51408796
>It's the bonus for mundane day-to-day tasks rather than adventuring

What categories of skills does it apply to?
>>
>>51408829
Pretty much every skill has multiple +4 applications. There's a pyramid article called Everyman Tasks that you can read, don't know the issue, google it.
>>
>>51408829
All of them. As long as the situation is less than pressing, you can claim that bonus. Plinking at targets on a range? +4 to Guns. Fixing a hole in your pants? +4 to Sewing. Recalling a fun physics factoid for small talk amongst friends? +4 to Physics.

Also note the +4 is a generic modifier. If you feel like crunching numbers and end up with a different mod, feel free to use that instead (IIRC, Tactical Shooting does this, and the Guns roll above would be at +5); +4 is a bonus you can add to a roll for non-adventuring tasks without putting too much thought in to something not worth wasting time on (if it's important and worth wasting time on, it probably doesn't warrant the +4).
>>
Idea: Make a simplistic FF-style Jobs system with GURPS as a framework utilizing Wildcards and a common pattern for Job creation. Jobs would act as temporary switchable lenses. The goal is to make a job switching each and have the final product be a straightforward standalone system good for total newbies. I've already started on this, but is it worth pursuing? Should I post what I have so far?
>>
>>51408231
You're not "wrong". The Last Gasp is actually really good, it's just that it addresses a "problem" that not everyone has or is willing to take the extra work to account for.
>>
>>51411255
Not a bad idea at all. I've done something similar myself actually, using Wildcard Skills alongside Wildcard Powers for some really simple/straightforward Supers character archetypes for a newbie game.
>>
>>51411255

Pyramid has already done this, actually. Though it's not the only way to do it, of course - so it could be a good source of ideas.
>>
>>51384618
played a short campaign of GURPS and loved it. now my normal playgroup just never plays it anymore... FeelsBadMan
What do?
>>
>>51411819
I know about that article; that's why I specified job switching be easy and the final product be newbie-friendly. Messing around with a few broad wildcard skills is wayyyyy easier that handling traditional templates, plus if everyone can switch jobs, that's a campaign feature and you don't have to deal with the mechanics of it (which is good because I find the Imitator template clunky for some reason).
>>
>>51411819
I don't play any JRPG's, but I've been tempted to make The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment using the Imitator template.
>>
>>51384618
Can someone hand me the gurps asparagus book real quick?
>>
File: asbargus v2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
asbargus v2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51413566
>>
>>51413624
Wow it actually exists.

Thanks I guess.
>>
File: 1473048000887.png (3MB, 5048x2839px) Image search: [Google]
1473048000887.png
3MB, 5048x2839px
Which would be better for a cyberpunk game, GURPS cyberpunk or Cyberpunk 2020?
>>
>>51415100
I can vouch for GURPS being good for cyberpunk games, but I've never played CP2020 so I can't comment on how they compare.
>>
>>51384618
So, I've been skimming through the books, but there's something bothering me about combat:

From what I've been reading, someone attacking does so without any regards for the defenders skill at defending (be it at dodging, parrying, and so on), which would be all well and fine, except when the defender is rolling for their defense, the roll does not take into consideration the attackers skill. This seems off for the sole reason that, realistically, a blow from a quick and skillful swordsman would be much harder to, say, dodge, than a swing from someone less proficient, which does happen somewhat in game due to the rate of critical hits increasing, but kind of "plateaus" with higher skill levels. You could have a situation where someone would be skilled enough to only fail 17 18 rolls, and yet at that point they would still have a flat chance to "miss" the attack if the defender defends successfully.

Did I read correctly? It just seems silly to me that there's always that flat chance there.
>>
>>51415866
You are reading correctly, but... keep reading.

There are many techniques useful by skilled attackers to change this 'flat defense' phenomenon.
Feints, Beats/binds, Deceptive Attacks, multiple strikes (if the foe is relying on parry or block), etc. In addition to defensive penalties such as reach, facing, posture, footing, stun. The combat is not nearly as cut-and-dry as it might initially appear, a skilled fighter has a HUGE amount of leeway and options against a less skilled one, even one with a really nice-looking Dodge.
>>
>>51415866
>>51415933
To expand on just one of the most straight-forward options listed here, Deceptive Attack lets you trade a -2 to skill for a -1 to the opponent's defenses (without being able to lower your skill beyond a certain threshold). This doesn't even require set-up, and can represent a blow too quick to parry, more skillful exploitation of open defensive angles, etc.

There really are tons of options, though; while your reading is thus far technically correct, I have no doubt your concerns will be alleviated by the aforementioned options (and more) on further exploration of the rules.
>>
>>51415933
Well, thing is, I'm a huge fan of simple combat, or at least of a combat which doesn't have many rules. One thing that always bothered me about most RPGs is how many combat rules there were; there aren't tons of lying maneuvers or handshaking methods for social interactions, so it just doesn't make sense to me to add specific rules for grappling, disarming, etc. I mostly leave such options open, of course, but they are played out as they come, and GURPS simple system of "just roll dice against the skill which would permit you to do that" is really good for me because of that. This is just how I like my games to go, of course, not saying it's the best way to do things.

I was thinking of using quick contests to resolve the attacks, but now that you mention all those techniques and such I think I'm going to read through them; I might not use them verbatim, but it might give me good ideas of ways to break that plateau in some other ways.
>>
>>51416082
Your stance is understandable and admirable. I run GURPS very similarly a lot of times, eschewing things like jumping distance in favor of a simple DX or skill roll, stuff like that; being able to pare the system down to fundamentally "do a thing, roll 3d6 under" as much as possible is definitely an appealing ability of the system, and a fine goal.

One option would be to simply include Deceptive Attack (-2 to skill for a -1 to enemy defense) as a "core assumption" of high-skill fighters; say, any skill above 16 is automatically reduced to that and the defender's skill reduced by half that, round down.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are other ways to do this more in keeping with your desire for the simplicity of the core rolls themselves; off the top of my head, maybe instead of using derived defenses (weapon skill/2, +3) you might just use the weapon skill itself as an opposed check (my Sword-14 vs. your Mace-15 [or Shield-13, or whatever]). Dodge in this case could be calculated as something like HT+DX/2, leaving the base at 10 for the purposes of such a contest.

And as a matter of fact, it looks like others have explored this (here's one such thread):
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=140086

For the record, GURPS does a lot of stuff with Social techniques, maneuvers, situational modifiers and stuff as well (if you were interested in delving into such things, anyway; guessing not based on your stance, but worth mentioning) via Social Engineering. It's not as in-depth as combat per se (it never ventures into 'beat up your enemy's argument with these rules' territory), but certainly adds similar nuances which evens the "crunch field" socially speaking.
>>
>>51416406
Oh, and also just FYI Feints and Beats are both weapon skill quick contests which affect Defenses on the next attack. I'd definitely read through some of the different options and see if they fit your needs (most aren't complicated at all); you might be able to avoid rewriting stuff if you find things simple enough to address the issue to your liking.
>>
File: 1455835510291.jpg (32KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1455835510291.jpg
32KB, 301x267px
>>51394874
>>51395616
>>51395866
>>51397091
Not sure if you're still around, but thanks bruh. You da bomb anon

I've spent the past couple days converting the PCs to GURPS. Would anyone mind taking a look at them?

Just a quick summary of the group as a whole:

>Team E17-Red Monkey Vectors
>Team rank: 7 stars. Pending promotion to 6 stars.
>This group of recruits joined Ivoryfield guild several years ago, and have quickly made a name for themselves with their flare for problem solving in nontraditional ways. While those who have to fill out the paperwork hate them, the guild as a whole appreciates the group's stick to-itiveness, and ability to complete missions even under severely extenuating circumstances. The team has seen several shakeups in personnel, but has retained an undeniable personality to their methods.

Keep going?
>>
File: K-Fresh.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
K-Fresh.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51416534
>Team Member: K-Fresh
>8th Level College of Valor Bard
>Race: Human
K-Fresh is a sharp tongued, fiery tempered human. Raised in the rough streets of the halfling sector, K-Fresh has a strong confrontational streak, and is never one to take crap from anyone. K-Fresh channels his magical ability through his dope ass rhymes, creating powerful magical effects. Trained under multiple forms of martial weapons, he also has great prowess in close combat due to his size and strength. All of this is rounded out by a surprisingly keen intellect, which he honed as a Draconic Studies major at Valor College.
In spite of these strengths, K-Fresh's temper often gets the best of him, and he often times becomes agitated over trivial matters. This in turn, gets in the way of working with his team to the fullest extent possible, even devolving into physical altercations. Additionally, his track record with prisoners is spotty at best, and often ends poorly for the captured party.
>>
>>51416887
>Team Member: Malachi
>8th Level Way of the 4 Elements Monk
>Race: Dwarf
Originally from outside Riverfront, Malachi is a recent citizen who briefly made a living as a brewer in the dwarven sector. Largely the most stable member of E17, he frequently acts as a peacemaker, reigning in the ludicrousness of the other characters.
In combat Malachi is an offensive powerhouse, able to strike with deadly precision numerous times, often without the aid of a weapon. Additionally, his agility and general awareness give him a leg up on other combatants.
Malachi's main weakness is his ineptitude in social situations. Frequently taking things at face value, many of the subtleties of social interactions slip by him. Additionally, he often takes on more responsibilities than he can handle due to his selfless nature.
>>
File: Malachi.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Malachi.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51417045
>durr hurr
just realized I forgot to give Malachi Combat Reflexes as well
>>
File: Schnarglehoff.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Schnarglehoff.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51417055
I have to go, so I'll I'm just gonna dump the other two char sheets I have. I can write up personalities later if anyone has any interest

>Name: Schnarglehoff
>8th Level Circle of the Moon Druid
>Dwarf
>>
>>51417720
>Name: Percy
>8th Level Gunslinger Fighter
>Elf
>>
File: Percy.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Percy.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51417738
Motherfucker
>>
>>51411620
What problem is that?
>>
>>51418870
The "problem" that some feel is present is the balls-to-the-wall "every second attacking or doing something" effect of default GURPS combat, where people don't 'realistically' get winded, circle each other and evaluate for an opening, tire out an opponent and win through attrition, etc. The Last Gasp addresses this.

Of course, there are also simpler ways to address or work around these points. I personally don't experience GURPS devolving into the aforementioned "problem", well, ever but some do.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with how each group approaches combat, drop-ins and outs (combat "pauses"), etc.
>>
>>51418919
To be clear though, I actually really like the Last Gasp rules. I just don't feel they're necessary to "fix" anything at least in my particular games, though I can definitely imagine games I'd love to use them in.
>>
File: 1482535443160.jpg (10KB, 324x451px) Image search: [Google]
1482535443160.jpg
10KB, 324x451px
>>51384618
RGIMWYRD AND STARGATE 1888 LIVE
I HAVE INTERNETS AGAIN!
>>
>>51409079
>>51408990
Well, that doesn't really sound convincing. For instance, it would be really, really rare to forge a sword in "pressing" situation, because it takes days. And yes, I can come up with such a situation, but it feels very gimmicky to just slap a +4 modifier on everything which "feel" "pressing".

I always thought that the modifier applies to situations which are less pressing _compared to_ ordinary application of the skill.

For instance: forging a sword when you don't care about the quality.

Otherwise, it just overlaps with "take more time" bonuses and such.

And what about persuasion skills? +4 in most of the situations which are "not pressing"? They are designed around specific situations, and only relative "stress" should be important.

I don't understand that at all, I think I'll just quietly assume everyone knows with absolute certainty what they are talking about.
>>
>>51423095
Yes, it's not about pressing situations, it's about routine and memorization. In some situations there is overlap with the 'time taken' modifiers, because it's the only reasonable justification, though. As an example, most everyone is packing a 10 in Housekeeping, for 0 points, but get a +4 for both taking their time, and for doing the most menial examples of the skill. They wouldn't get employed anywhere with any sort of standards, though, anywhere where time matters, and the tasks and tools required are any more sophisticated than your regular broom job.

Generally, the +4 comes up wherever the usage of the skill is the easiest example available, and where familiarity with it's use has made it routine. As an example, for persuasion skills, a man who has been cheating on his wife will vividly remember the first time he had to lie about where he'd been, but nowadays the lie comes very easy, and he's sure his wife knows anyways, the lie is a formality. A Fast Talk roll at +4 when questioned makes the difference between 'I was working late' and 'I got called by the president', if the lie could be believed by a toddler then it's good enough.
>>
>>51420032
Fyck yes, it's about time.
>>
>>51384843
This is an immensely depressing comment
>>
Would it be horrible to buy Regeneration as a Alternate Power to Healing?
>>
File: tumblr_n5l2sqYExR1qgojlgo1_540.jpg (166KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5l2sqYExR1qgojlgo1_540.jpg
166KB, 540x810px
>>51425917
No. I'd allow you to take Healing with an accessibility limitation (Only When HP is full) for -20% if you had Average or worse regeneration, though.

I say no to the alternate ability because one of these powers is constant, the other takes one second to use. Putting regeneration on pause for one second to heal someone else is not a meaningful disadvantage.
>>
>>51426237
Not that Anon, but that's a good point. Would adding Takes Recharge to Healing make it more okay? If the Regeneration is at the second scale (1 HP/sec or 10 HP/sec), not being able to regenerate for a few seconds may actually matter, though at lower values I guess it wouldn't matter.
>>
>>51425917
>>51426237
>>51426273
How about instead of Healing as an alternate, make it Affliction: Regeneration, and have it put the self-Regeneration on pause for the duration? That would make it take longer than 1 round.
>>
>>51395894
>So, if it's a specialized attribute that not everyone has it's a 5 point buy in

The 5-point buy-in for Magery 0 is to gain the ability to sense magic, cast spells in high-magic areas, and such. The rest of it's more analogous to the Power Talents from Powers.
>>
>>51416887
This guy has a weird mix of combat skills. He only knows how to use a sword two-handed, but he can only fast-draw a one-handed one (this is actually realistic; most two-handed sword styles used things like the bastard sword, early katana or longsword and drew from the hip with one hand before transitioning to a two-handed grip, but I don't get the impression you're going for realism with these guys). He doesn't know any one-handed weapon skills, but he knows shield skill (this could work if shield is intended to be used with things like tables and so on in bar brawls, I guess).

>>51417055
I see you got confused by the GCS language system. You need to add the level he knows his native language at to it in order to get the right points value. At the moment it costs -6 points because he can't speak or write dwarvish.

>>51417720
I should point out that turning into animals is a lot less useful in GURPS than it is in D&D. A normal dude with weapons and armour can quite easily beat something like a bear or lion. I would suggest giving him decent Wrestling skill to maximise the combat power of animal forms. Also, if you are using the basic magic system, the Shapeshifting spell would probably be a cheaper way of getting a similar effect to Morph.

>>51417857
You can save points by having Guns (Pistol) default to Guns (Rifle). Just delete the existing entry for pistol and add it as a new skill with 0 points in it and GCS should calculate it right. For some reason you need to add the skill which you default from first or it doesn't work right.

Also I think this guy should probably have Language (Elvish) or something.
>>
>>51426237
>>51426273
Ah, right, I see what you're saying.

I already had in my head making the healing "slower" with limits, even still though, a 10 minute heal out of the slower regens isn't too much of a penalty.
>>
>>51428084
>first one
That is kind of what I was going for. He actually does know one handed sword stuff, I just forgot to give it to him

>second one
lol, oops, thanks for pointing that out. I need to give the other guys their language proficiencies as well.

>third one
I'm not so sure about that. I've never really been that impressed by animals in D&D. Additionally he knows quite a few powerful forms, ex: he's seen some dinosaurs, rhinoceras and elephants, so I think he'll be fine. He'll also get a lot of utility out of it, since he gets multiple wildshapes per day now.

>fourth one
Good catch, thanks.
>>
>>51384618
Just printed out the instructions for GURPS ultra-lite. Can someone explain this to me? I really don't get how to use it.
>>
>>51431682
Ultra-Lite is really just the "pocket guide" version of the rules. If you're new to GURPS you should start with Lite. That has all the basic rules, and enough substance that you can actually read and understand the rules.
>>
>>51431955
Fair enough. If I buy the basic set, everything is there that I need to get started? Or will I have to actually talk to someone who knows what they're doing to learn?
>>
>>51432065
If you want to understand the basics of GURPS, read GURPS Lite. Basic Set greatly expands on it, but it's important that you start with Lite because Basic Set is more of a manual than a handbook. It's dense and very good for reference, but not casual reading.
>>
>>51384618
Why are slaves so expensive? i mean, 42.000$ for a random slave with any qualification whatoever?
>>
>>51432881
A TL3 slave that's qualified for TL0 jobs is very expensive, yes. Most slaves did Status -2 jobs.
>>
>>51433168
>for TL0 jobs
Status 0 jobs.
>>
File: 1347851656127.jpg (234KB, 900x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1347851656127.jpg
234KB, 900x1066px
I'm dissatisfied with the magic system in the Basic Set and Magic book, but have not yet read any of the other systems. In the interest of saving a little bit of effort, would anyone mind selling me on your favorite GURPS magic system?

I may end up reading through all of them anyway, but it'd be nice to have a primer on what each one does best.
>>
>>51433346
>Favorite
I can only pick one? Also, have you checked the magic system comparison in the OP?
>>
>>51433168
What are some status -2 jobs?
>>
>>51433168
>>51433459
Also 8400 per slave still more expensive than a war horse, as per low tech
>>
>>51433361
I was not aware there was such a thing, thanks. I usually just used the OP for the archive. Question still stands if you want to explain the merits of using multiple systems, I suppose.
>>
>>51433459
>>51433479
Menial labor and prostitution. You can't use a horse to pick oranges, and most wouldn't fuck one.
>>
File: 1438060919640.jpg (35KB, 850x545px) Image search: [Google]
1438060919640.jpg
35KB, 850x545px
>>51433498
>most wouldn't fuck one
As a ca/tg/irl from the countryside i'm not sure about that, it isn't that uncommon to find someone who got disgraced because of zoobullshit, mainly kids and young dodies.
We mom once even found a city cousin masturbating to a lactating pig.
>>
>>51433483
I'm the dude that wrote the list in the first place :^)

That being said, a few things have changed since then and I never pass up a chance to hear myself talk.
-Sorcery has supplanted RPM as my top system. I've got a group together that's 80% newbies and I enjoyed being able to say "do this to advantages to make them spells" after teaching the basic system rather than running them through an more in-depth/complex magic subsystem.
-RPM has a new variant called Incantation Magic. It can be found in Dungeon Fantasy 19 and, owing to it's source, it much more high-power and absolutely unconcerned with subtlety. It can be worth it if you want to use RPM as a base but aren't running a setting in which magic is meant to be overly subtle/mysterious.

Other than that, things are mostly the same.
>>
>>51433760
Most wouldn't pay to fuck one, then.

Also, that piques my interest; what's the reaction penalty for being a known horsefucker? I imagine it's a bad reputation at -2.

... And that has me asking another question: How do you handle reputations in the modern internet age? Anyone can look up your facebook and see people talking about that time you masturbated to a lactating pig.
>>
>> 51433826
If that's always somewhere on your feed, and we're talking about some kind of high tech low life cyberpunk thing i'd think it would be Bad Reputation -2 or worse, to; 'Almost everyone', as i imagine people would look up everyone on a super high tech setting, like, dunno, a hud implant which lets you see everyone profile.
>>
>>51433826
Assume the "number of people that know your reputation" is the max value, but knock the recognizability/frequency of recognition down a level as most people will have to actively look you up to find the story.
>>
>>51433826
If that's always somewhere on your feed, and we're talking about some kind of high tech low life cyberpunk thing i'd think it would be Bad Reputation -2 or worse, to; 'Almost everyone', as i imagine people would look up everyone on a super high tech setting, like, dunno, a hud implant which lets you see everyone profile.
>>
Can a mage survive with a (IQ+Magery)-2 (1pt spell) of 13 and just going to 15 for important skills? I know 15 is the best but never played one and with 100pts I'm weighing my options.
>>
>>51433980
This is a rubbish post on my part. Let me clarify.

At 100 points, I can be "super mage" and get a 14 IQ and 3 Magery and have lots of good spells for 1 point. I'm very light in all other departments though, especially fighting.

Alternately, I can make "Action Mage!"(tm) on 100 points, with just a 12 IQ and put less points into spells but have some combat or other skills. Combat spells I can invest 4 points in for a 15 and that -1 FP.

Do both these work? I've never played a mage in-game so not sure how these work out.
>>
>>51434151
>Asking for advice on the vanilla mage rules
>Not using superior RPM or even Sorcerer

Sorry chummer, seems you brought a spoon to a knife fight
>>
File: The Great Compromise.jpg (104KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
The Great Compromise.jpg
104KB, 500x375px
Hello all. Gloranthanon here, delivering on my promise to have GURPS Glorantha: Magic up by the end of the week. It isn't done, but I've made enough progress that I think it's worth posting. Check out the two documents below and let me know what you think. One file is the basic rules for adapting magic to Glorantha, while the second is a cult write up for one of the main gods of Glorantha.

Please let me know what you think! I'm always open to thoughts, concerns, comments, criticism, etc.
>>
>>51434375
>>
>>51434347
I'd RPM or Sorcerer in a second, but since I'm not the GM, I don't get to choose
>>
>>51434375
>>51434388
>>
>>51434408
Go full int then. Save up for compartmentalized mind, and go full batman wizard. You party is your shield and armor
>>
>>51434151
>>51433980
Really depends on the specifics of your character and his party, I'm afraid. Sometimes having a shitload of spells at a decent level is the best choice, in other cases not. You might want to drop some Magery too if you are going for a low-level caster with lots of other skills. Keeping IQ high means you can buy a lot of IQ skills.

>>51433346
I like Path and Book Magic and Chinese Elemental Magic the best, because they are fairly short, complete systems with little opportunity for improvising so I have at least some grasp of what my players can and can't do. With improvised systems like RPM a moderately creative spellcaster can handle pretty much any problem they know about in advance and Sorcery needs a bigger catalogue of spells (but ideally not one as big as the Magic book, because that's overwhelming). Both P&B and CEM also have lots of interesting flavour.

>>51432881
You can keep a slave for considerably less than he earns you; slaves would typically be kept at one status level below what they would be able to support as free men. So a TL 3 Status -1 slave (COL $300) would earn as if he was a Status 0 worker ($700 per month income), making a $400 monthly profit for his master. That's $4,800 per year or a little above 10% annual return on investment, which is actually fairly good. Owning a slave isn't just about having an investment which does work for you though. Lots of people really like the idea of having power over others. Owning humans is also a status indicator in most societies, so they are something of a luxury good.
>>
>>51434388
I'm a little confused on the difference between one-use and permanent Rune Points.

Also, Rune Points seem to function as an Energy Reserve, but don't seem to have a cost except that you must have a certain level of Power Investiture. Unless you are going to increase the cost of PI, that seems like a bargain and likely to make caster builds rather strong.
>>
File: Shepelkirt.jpg (48KB, 470x600px) Image search: [Google]
Shepelkirt.jpg
48KB, 470x600px
>>51434808
One-Use points are gained from some source for the purpose of casting a specific spell and last only for a short period of time (Maybe one day?) Permanent Rune Points can be kept indefinitely. This isn't explained anywhere in the document, so I'll make sure to add it in the next version.

Everyone in Glorantha has access to magic in one form or another, so I'm not sure quite how to balance that. Rune Points don't recover without one of the forms of worship, though, so they aren't a renewable resource like Fatigue Points.
>>
>>51434667
>Really depends on the specifics of your character and his party, I'm afraid. Sometimes having a shitload of spells at a decent level is the best choice, in other cases not. You might want to drop some Magery too if you are going for a low-level caster with lots of other skills. Keeping IQ high means you can buy a lot of IQ skills.
It's me, an anti-social murder machine and a social murder machine.

>>51434436
Compartmentalized Mind?

Thanks for the input, helped make up my mind.

One more question: In a Low Mana area, where I'm -5 to skill, does that mean I need an unmodified 20 skill to lead rituals or the normal 15 still work, just the roll is at -5?
>>
>>51434667
>making a $400 monthly profit for his master
>Lots of people really like the idea of having power over others
You can't really quantify a slave in terms of profit in the olden times (particularly at a TL1 or TL2 society) or even in terms of just "feeling powerful" because they are essential for certain comforts that we take for granted these days. A slave is useful for cleaning out the latrine, getting firewood, going to the market, cleaning your floors, running your bath, washing you, washing your animals, tending your garden, preparing you food and cleaning up after you. All these things are relatively easy to do now, but they were extremely tedious in the olden times, so just like owning a car and a computer in the modern day is essential to a certain level of comfort, so was a slave in a TL1 or TL2 society (and to a lesser extent a TL3 society). All sorts of tedious labors become a breeze when you've got "a guy for that." That's where the status comes from, having "a guy" for doing stuff, leaving you free from labor.

People usually think of toiling under the sun building pyramids or working in a mine when they think of ancient slaves, but those would be government owned most of the time, regular folks have little need of that kind of labor. The slaves that regular rich people would own were more akin to servants, ranging from butlers and maids all the way to the guy cleaning the shit bucket.
>>
Does anyone have an idea of how much land a noble lie to count historically had?
>>
>>51435912

Don't really understand your question. However, it depends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_fee

The feif of a knight which is must be enough to support him and his household and equip him.

It's measured not by size but by income. So like, they could have acres of farmland, or a single vinyard for making cognac.

That's not the only measurement like that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medieval_land_terms

A Hide is enough to support a family, more on poor soil less on good farmland.Then there's a hundred, which is 100 Hides.

So look up their responsibilities, like a Count runs a County, which is usually a geographical region, it has many many shires in it. By Geographical region I mean a location broadly defined by traits From those hills to that river, or something. Or this valley land.
>>
>>51425864
lol
>>
>>51435912
Historically? No clue, but "Lord of the Manor" from Pyramid #3/52: Low Tech II might be able to help come up with a gameable abstraction.

Assuming TL3, a nobleman's monthly income ranges anywhere from $3.5k to $700k depending on position, title, etc. (using the rules from p. B517 and assuming the nobleman falls somewhere between Wealthy and Multimillionaire 1). For the purposes of this example, I'll continue assuming this nobleman is quite powerful at Filthy Rich (monthly income $70k).

Now, here's where things get tricky. In Lord of the Manor, the land each household takes is based off of TL (which is static and fine) but the amount of the household's surplus the lord gets is based on CR; a lord with huge tracts of land but a soft-spot for peasants could be making a fraction of what a smaller but iron-fisted lord makes. This means we'll have to do another range (yayyyyy). At TL3, a household gives their lord about $40/month and CR1 and about $230/month at CR6; to meet the monthly income estimated by the Basic Set, a lord could need anywhere from 1750 to 305 household. At TL3, each household takes 12.2 acres on average.

If we assume the noble is a traditionally strict ruler (CR4), his lands would contain around 450 households and 5,500 acres.

We made a *lot* of assumptions to reach that number, though, and Lord of the Manor goes in to more depth (shipping the harvest to urban centers for more cash and dedicating households to cash crops or livestock being the big two) which may result in a tweaking of the numbers. However, the above is a good starting point, and you have the tools to mess around with it on your own.
>>
>>51435912
It's very hard to be precise, but it seems that a typical English Earl around the 13-14th century would control a demesne (personal land) consisting of a couple of dozen manors, each having hundreds or possibly even a few thousand acres of land. For example, the Earl of Warwick in 1315 had one hundred manors and almost 15,000 acres of land, although he was an exceptionally rich and powerful earl and a typical one would only have a fraction of that.

In addition to the land in the demesne, they would have a roughly equal amount of land in 'villeinage'; permanently settled by tenant farmers, but owned by the lord. They would also have command over maybe a dozen barons who each controlled a few thousand acres for themselves.
>>
>>51415866
A highly skilled attacker would use Deceptive Attack in that case. For example, an attack with skill 16 attacking a defender with dodge 12 normally has a 0.981*0.259=0.254 chance to hit, but with Deceptive Attack 1, (i.e. attack 14 vs dodge 11) he would have 0.907*0.375=0.340 chance to hit.
>>
>Does anyone have an idea of how much land a noble lie to count historically had?
Fucking phone, it was supposed to be;
>Does anyone have an idea of how much land a noble like a count historically had? How big was his county?
But my phone sent it before i finished.

>>51436623
This is what i was looking for, thanks, i was in doubt on many acres should i aim for, so, yeah, 15.000 sounds okay for someone rich at status 3 or 4.

>>51436579
I used Building the Low-Tech Landscape for everything, but yeah, its close to that.

>>51436400
I was talking about 'county', the land which is "owned" by a count.
>>
>>51437108
Forgot to say; i'm on the middle of the road, on a car travel through the countryside and i got a game in about 3 hours with very old friends. Thats why i'm not doing the obyvious, like looking for a huge article about it on Histo.dada

Thanks for the help anons
>>
When you GM, how do you manage and keep track of your player's character sheets, particularly when spending earned points? Do you ask them for the changes and make the changes yourself, or let them make the changes and give you the updated sheet? Or do you just trust them to keep it correct and just ask for the relevant data at relevant times?

What about HP/FP and consumables? Do you keep track or do you trust your players to keep track?

Is there software that makes it easier?

I'm going to be GMing for the first time pretty soon, and I know my group pretty well, we're all friends. I don't trust them not to cheat at the first available opportunity, so I'm looking for ideas.
>>
>>51437433
...get better friends? GMs already have a lot on their plate; after the initial lookover to check for cheese or characters unsuitable for the campaign, you shouldn't have to deal with that. You could probably have a program keep track for you, but I don't know what to use and it sucks that you feel that's necessary.

For HP and consumables, you could use physical representations like poker chips; that's easy to check and harder to fake. I normally use things like that already for values that are constantly in flux simply to avoid erasing through the paper.

If you really can't trust your players with their own goddamn sheets, I highly recommend simply not playing with them, but if you're bound to the idea come Hell or high water, then keep the sheets in your possession between games and add bonus points for them after asking them what they want to spend them on.
>>
>>51437555
>get better friends
They're great friends. A couple of them have a penchant for cheating at board games and card games, though.

I guess I'll do periodic sanity checks on their sheets until I catch one of them cheating and then go from there.
>>
>>51433498
>You can't use a horse to pick oranges, and most wouldn't fuck one.

Anyone else read this and wonder why you'd want a horse that would fuck oranges?
>>
>>51437669
>I guess I'll do periodic sanity checks on their sheets until I catch one of them cheating and then go from there.

Don't even bother. If it doesn't bother the other players ignore it. If it does bother the other players they will use shame and ridicule to fix it. If that doesn't happen (or it bothers you and talking to them like a big boy doesn't work) cheat against the cheaters, it's obviously the game they want to play.
>>
>>51437939
>cheating at a roleplaying game

Is there anything sadder?
>>
>>51438248
Yeah, this comment is sadder.

>>51384843
>>
>>51438275
>finding oneness within the GURPS
>sad

Where do you think you are, anon?
>>
>>51438275
What's sad about it?
>>
What's the best way to speed up ritual path magic skill checks for gathering energy. It gets frustrating to wait while someone rolls 30 times.
>>
>>51438289
use effect-shaping (3/66) or incantation magic (df19)
>>
>>51438275
Nothing wrong with that comment.
>>
>>51438399
>Where do you t

Hell no, GURPS is great, but that doesn't mean we should keep our eyes closed, it makes us WORSE than the D&D/etc idiots who decry us--we could be stealing their mechanics and ideas for our own!
>>
>>51438514
>we could be stealing their mechanics and ideas for our own!
We could also be shooting ourselves in the foot, which is by far more productive. What's your point?
>>
>>51438275
I played it since 5th grade which is coming up 25 years ago now. Really never did care for another system. Played tons of them, really like M&M and IN for the setting, but mechanically GURPS I've always known well enough to make it the easiest option to work with.

Never did play D&D. Never got exposed to it.
>>
Will the Tanks in the GURPS 3e WW2 splatbooks work well in 4e? My group really wants to do a tanker game, but with vehicles not out I don't really know what to do.
>>
>>51439509
There's a pdf of converted vehicles, but I'm away from the computer that has it. Somebody please post the vehicles pdf for this anon.
>>
>>51439509
You could just run WW2 using 3e. WW2 core has the 3e Lite in the back.
>>
What would be a good way to quickly create vaguely interesting dungeons if that's all my players seem to want to do, and the GM reponsibility has fallen to me for some reason.
>>
>>51440514
desu, I'd start with some premade adventure modules, and steal/repurpose all the good ideas. Filing off the serial numbers and reusing things is a staple of GMing and RPGs since forever.

Personally, I'm quite fond of most of the modules for Lamentations of the Flame Princess. People can say what they want about the "edginess", but they're interesting modules, and they require the players to *think*.

When it comes to 'converting' things to GURPS, don't worry about one-to-one conversions, just find similar monsters and adjust numbers accordingly. And Dungeon Fantasy has loads of cool critters scattered across DF2, DF Monsters 1-3, and various Pyramid Magazines.
>>
>>51437108
>This is what i was looking for, thanks, i was in doubt on many acres should i aim for, so, yeah, 15.000 sounds okay for someone rich at status 3 or 4.

I think that a count with 15 thousand acres should be more like Status 5. The Earl or Warwick was one of the richest Earls in England. A typical one would have significantly less land. Unfortunately my source doesn't say exactly how much an average Earl owned, but it does describe a typical manor as 100-300 acres with a few exceptional ones going up to 2,000 acres and a baron would typical own one or maybe two manors and an earl usually more than two but rarely more than a hundred.

I'd say a very rough guide would be...

Baron, Status 3, 500 acres demesne, rules one 'hundred' of around 3,000 acres (about half of that farmland, split into roughly equal parts demesne, villeinage and free farms), roughly one village of ~400 people.

Count / Earl , Status 4, 2,500 acres demesne, rules a 'county' or 'shire' of a few hundred thousand acres developed land and several times that amount of wilderness.

Duke or Prince, Status 5, 25,000 acres demesne, rules a duchy or small country consisting of about a dozen counties.

Note that villeins provide free labour to harvest demesne land in return for the right to grow their own crops on the villeinage land. So the total amount of land farmed by the villeins is about twice the demesne and the lord takes about half of the crops they grow directly and then taxes the peasants for additional income (effectively CR 4 for his villeins and CR 2 for 'free' farmers).
>>
>>51440514
donjon for the general layout of the dungeon
Five-Room Dungeon Design to give the dungeon some context and flair.
A handy bestiary/monster design guide to populate it (I use Mailanka's DF home brew monsters guide a lot).

You'll need to be willing to tweak it when necessary, of course, but it's not a bad start.
>>
>>51440951
You could just use the AD&D 1e DMG's Appendix A and Dungeon Dressing tables, but that's manual rolls, so takes more time.
>>
>>51439587
>Somebody please post the vehicles pdf for this anon.
Here you go.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there are any rules for Energy Reserves which go into more detail than the ones in Powers?
>>
Anybody here use GURPS Calculator? Is there any way to quickly add items to a character without having to go into GURPS Character sheet and uploading a new version of the file?
>>
>>51440920
Anon, 15000 acres isn't even enough for someone with status 4 keep themselves, someone on status 4, richness 4 needs 840000 yearly.

>Each househood has 5 people
>They need 3750lbs of grain yearly
>On a land with Typical(medium, +0%) rating they need 5 acres just to keep themselves by raising barley
>Thats 12 acres per househood for a 'rich' region where noone starves to death
>4 barley, 4 legumes or winter weath and 4 fallow
The local lord gets something btween 6 and 11% of the production, but the peasants get taxed on up to 30%, because of multiple taxes from multiple people, like the church, local cavalry orders, monasteries, the king tax, the first son of the king tax, sometimes the region duke tax, or even the second son of the king tax, the HRE had at one point up to the third son of the emperor getting taxes.
Lets stuck with 9%, thats good enough, so with 4 winter wheat fields(440lbs/season) and 4 barley fields(880lbs/season) the lord would receive 285,12$(158,4lbs) of weath and 285,12$(316,8lbs) of barley, for a total of 570,24$, per househood, per year.
From now on i'm rounding 570,24 down to 570$; A status 4 noble needs 1474 families under him paying him 9% taxes(840180), each one holding 12 acres of land, which is 17688 acres of land, or 27,6375 square miles.

So, as you can see 15000 acres isn't much, i just needed a historicall number to base myself because i thought i was doing something wrong when i got these numbers.
>>
>>51437669
I find it tends to fix itself, so maybe you don't need to come up with a solution.

Cheating in boardgames or card games is a bit different than cheating in an rpg, because at the end of the day one game of poker is one game of poker and moving a few pieces in chess just give you a beter position for that chess game.

In an rpg you ask someone "Hey, what's your current dodge score?" and they go "Uh! 20!" and you go "... that's kinda high, but sure, you dodge the spike trap".

And then eventually you'll ask for their dodge again, and they'll give a different number and... everyone is /right/ there and will know.

Alternatively you ask for their dice rolls, and usually people roll dice on the same table, so again, watching someone roll dice and cheat right in front of you tends to make other players go "you didn't actually get 10 margin of succes Steve, come on".

HP / FP expenditure catches itself too.

"You take 4 injury"
[later]
"You take 3 injury - what's your current HP?"
"Oh, I'm at 12"

>Everyone knows that that would imply 19 base HP in GURPS, after taking 7 damage in total.
>Everyone knows that's total bunk

And then the thing is, if damage that would be problematic isn't problematic, the DM just carries on with the same curve. I had someone in my game overshoot his own HP by 20 once, and insist they go criticals on every 3rd or 4th roll.

That works super well for them, sure, but I ddn't really latch on to it until they picked a fist fight with a commando team. I thought they'd be just fine, I mean, they had vast amounts of HP and really got stats right? That's what had happened in every other situation. Turns out taking 30 damage just kills someone, and it's hard to cheat your way out of that.

So I wouldn't worry.
>>
>Tech Level 3
>You are oversaturated with knights & feudalism.
>Players still want medieval europe.

Who has ideas for compromises?
>>
>>51442120
I forgot
*Tech Level 3 fantasy setting
>>
>>51442036
>The local lord gets something btween 6 and 11% of the production, but the peasants get taxed on up to 30%...
By my understanding, he keeps 100% of the crops grown on his demesne land (less the taxes he owes higher up the feudal chain) and he gets the labour needed to do it for free from the obligations his villeins and cotters (technically I think he has to pay the cotters, but they didn't get much) owe him. Then he gets to tax the freeholders and possibly the villeins as well.

According to Pyramid 52, a peasant family can farm 12.2 acres of land and produce about 7,688 lbs. of grain per year. Half of that is kept by the lord and converted to cash or equivalent, or about $2,400 per family of villeins. Each family needs about 6.1 acres in the demesne (and the same in villein land), so a $840,000 yearly income is possible with 2,135 acres in your demesne. That's not taking into account taxes levelled on freeholders who owe you direct fealty, whatever the barons pay you or any trade investments you have, but also not taking into account payments to your overlord.

Yeah, a count draws income from an area of at least tens of thousands of acres, but he only actually has a fraction of that in his demesne. There is at least as much land again occupied by his tenants and many times more owned by freeholders (probably about 10,000 acres per county) and lesser nobles (accounting for maybe another 15,000 acres of farmland between their demesnes and villeins) who pay him taxes. So a typical earl could easily have 30,000 acres of farmland in his county (and several times that much semi-developed countryside, plus huge areas of wilderness), but less than 10% of that in his demesne.
>>
Does it matter how much you succeed a roll by?
>>
>>51442120
>>51442137

TL 3 starts in 600 AD and knights and feudalism wasn't really ubiquitous until around 1100 AD, so maybe a viking style game, or possibly a late roman empire like one?

Or for something a bit different...

Maybe magic dominates the battlefield in the same way that heavy cavalry did historically, so instead of knights you have wizards as the basic building block of military might. This can be a feudal style thing if you want to keep that, or maybe wizards work better with a more (or less) centralised government.

Or monsters are the winning unit, which require a totally different set-up to support than knights do.

Or possibly thousands of years of technology stasis means that fortifications have been built up over time into massive structures and warfare is far more about sieges than open-field battles, so engineers and professional infantrymen are what really matters.
>>
>>51442397
Sometimes but mostly not. GURPS generally prefers to have you declare extra effects before you roll and take a penalty to achieve them rather than roll to see how well you do.

Critical success is a different thing though and often matters.
>>
>>51442364
>he keeps 100% of the crops grown on his demesne land
Anon, the demesne is the land owned by the lord of the manor for his own use and support, i was talking about btween 6% and 11% in TAXES from his "vassals". I cannot find a better word for it because it is not my mother tongue, I'm referring to the people who owes taxes to him.

Anyway on the iberica peninsula at least; the biggest source of income of our equivalents to lords were taxes, not his own land.

>Pyramid 52
Thats the problem anon, pyramid 52 is a thin source for that, it makes too much assumptions isntead of giving you the means of stablishing them. Check the pyramid article; building the low-tech landscape, it will let you do a more in depth take on land, also you can even get how many people can live in a rural village based on those conditions, how much land that village occupies, and how big can citties be based on the food supply. but be prepared to see some changes on prices after seeing how transport affects everything
>>
>>51442568
>Anyway on the iberica peninsula at least; the biggest source of income of our equivalents to lords were taxes, not his own land.

Yeah, that makes a big difference, because the source I have is for England, where (during the time period it covers) most nobles drew most of their income from their own demesne. Only about one third of farmland was owned by non-noble freeholders with the rest being split about equally between villeins' land (technically still owned by the lord, but most of it's produce going to the tenant in exchange for his obligation to work the demesne farmland) and demesne. Taxes from the freeholders would be a pretty minor part of the earl's income, maybe giving him 10% of what he got from his demesne. Not sure exactly how much he would get from his vassals, but if we say he had twenty barons he could tax at 10%, that might be around half what he could get from his demesne. So still over 60% from his own lands.
>>
>>51441126
Thanks, anon. Hopefully, tanker anon will get some great use from it.
>>
>>51442758
Well, then we started arguing because of a difference in sources as 'feudal europe' is huge, misunderstandings, it happens sometimes.

But you still should take a look at that article i said, you might find it helpfull for worldbulding and figuring out things like;
>difference in price of crops based on the relative productivity and transport costs
>how much land can a single village work based on 'rural block' size
>how big can the cities be
>how much can the merchants and landowners actually profit from transporting and selling grain or anything else grown or herded
>how rich you need to be grown orchards
>how rich is a roman equite who farms olives

And some other random bullshit which makes for a great background.

Captcha: Enrico Dandolo Pizzeria
>>
File: 1465555761845.jpg (567KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465555761845.jpg
567KB, 750x1000px
AWW YEAH
RUNNING GRIMWYRD BAYBEE
>>
>>51444438
Is that a gold pantie? why?
>>
>>51444619
Are you gonna tell her to wear something different?
>>
File: 1ijcih.jpg (11KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
1ijcih.jpg
11KB, 252x200px
RUH ROH
Party angry wizard may have just used an eldritch WMD to kill all magic...
>>
>>51441126
>>51439587
>>51443980

Thanks a bunch, this is great stuff.
>>
Is hitting someone with your elbow or knee in unarmed combat mechanically the same as using the nearest hand or foot?
>>
>>51434388
>>51434408
>>51434375
I haven't had a chance to read Glorantha Anon's stuff, but thumbs up for the work and wanted to show continued interest/support.
>>
>>51446479
No. ctrl+f "elbow strike" and "knee strike" in Martial Arts.
>>
File: Embarking.jpg (101KB, 736x858px) Image search: [Google]
Embarking.jpg
101KB, 736x858px
>>51446566
Thanks, anon! It's much appreciated.
>>
>>51444619
Doesn't corrode in even the nastiest crotch sweat.

>>51444330
I have read it, but I don't think I'm going to bother really going into the detail of it until I have some use for it. My players are generally not keen on medieval fantasy, especially with GURPS and while they do like non-combat stuff and don't object to realism, I think actual crop yields is a bit too much detail for them.

I do have some vague ambition to write a medieval computer game at some point which might get into that level of autism and I'll certainly use that if I do...
>>
>>51438557
>We could also be shooting ourselves in the foot, which is by far more productive. What's your point?

Hey, do you like the Thaumathugy book?

Congrats, you like GURPS getting shot in the foot, because the Noun-Verb Syntactic magic is SJG stealing mechanics from Ars Magica and making a "How To" For GMs. Realm Magic, I think, is Mage--but I fucking hate WoD so I'm not sure.

Or maybe you're just an idiot and didn't understand my post.
>>
>>51448264
>Hey, do you like the Thaumathugy book?
Nope.
>>
>>51447789
Another anon here, seriously good stuff, thanks. Been thinking on doing something similar for a while but it's a bit intimidating. Nice job, keep fighting the good fight (and uploading, so I can shamelessly steal your marvelous creations for my own future Glorantha exploits).
>>
>>51407870
I don't remember where it is, but there is a GURPS mecha article somewhere.
>>
>>51449063
The mecha article is the Starships rules he's talking about.
>>
>>51448404
Thanks, anon. Here's some more stuff for you: an intro adventure and supporting material. Still unfinished, but it might be helpful to you, and I would welcome your comments.
>>
>>51449906
Encounter breakdown for the prologue adventure. Details encounter setting and other details too lengthy to put in the adventure outline.
>>
>>51449918
I posted this before, but you might not have been in the thread for it. The file details GURPS stats for NPCs in the Prologue Adventure.
>>
>>51448264
Not the anon you were replying to, but neither Ars Magica nor Mage are D&D. There's nothing wrong with taking good ideas and using them to improve GURPS. D&D just seems short on good ideas. Nice job editing a quote to change its context, though.
>>
>>51450205
Yeah, we steal settings and players from D&D, and the latter is easier if you point out how your mechanics are better.

>Nice job editing a quote to change its context, though.

>Straight up highlight and click number to reply
>Doesn't edit
>Makes sure didn't edit accidentally
>Doesn't see it
>wtf
>>
>>51445824
Isn't our elf mana dependent? This seems like a Bad Thing.
>>
File: 1471106675006.jpg (155KB, 1147x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1471106675006.jpg
155KB, 1147x1600px
>>51451106
:D
You have no idea how bad this can get
:D
>>
Hey, I was gonna help my friend get into GURPS for a game he wants to be set in the Fallout universe. I figured GURPS would work but I'm not sure on what edition or splats we should use. Can I get some help?
>>
Which books should I read to run a game with those aspects:

- There is 2 dwarven kingdons
- There is 1 Elvish Kingdom.
- There is 2 human kingdons (one of them is based in feudal japan)
- There is a magic desert with ruins of a old civilization
- There is Floating Islands
- There is Floating Magic Towers in a Magocracy
- One human kingdon is discovering the steam technology

BTW: I'm totally new to GURPS
>>
>>51452041
We were also kinda hoping for realistic combat, damage and other affects of the fallout world if possible.
>>
>>51452067
How to be a GURPS GM, GURPS for Dummies, GURPS Basic Set, GURPS Fantasy.

Low Tech too, maybe.
>>
>>51452308
Where do I find the first two books you said?
>>
>>51452327
Should be in the PDF collection. GURPS for Dummies is also like 3 dollars used, so there's that.
>>
>>51452371
I found the "Gurps 4e for Dummies" but didn't found the "How to be a GURPS GM" yet.
>>
>>51452381
Keep looking, Anon. Your search is both literal and metaphorical.
>>
What are the best settings for GURPS? I really don't feel like creating my own worlds will be any good.
>>
>>51452858
What published setting in any book, story, history, myth, or other game interest you the most? That is the best setting for GURPS.

Most settings don't need special rules. For those few that do, once you pick the setting, you can find help. Maybe that help will be complete setting specific rules conversion.
>>
>>51452858

Technomancer, IOU, the old roll 3dX where X is the number of source books available and blend--does anyone still have that pic, or should we make a new one and update it?
>>
>>51452041
>>51452123
GURPS Basic Set, High-Tech, After the End 1 and 2. There is other stuff you could benefit from but those are all you really need for a very solid foundation.
>>
>>51453735
4th edition btw. Latest edition is best.
>>
>>51453735
>>51453742
Addendum: Martial Arts and Technical Shooting too, if you want to go really in-depth/realistic with injuries, gun and shooting rules. I advise the other stuff first though.
>>
>>51452858
Reign of Steel and Transhuman Space are both really good. Infinite Worlds and Banestorm are both fun, too.
>>
>>51453735
>>51453742
>>51453755
Sorry, last thing. Ultra Tech could be useful for some of the gonzo advanced stuff like laser pistol, alien weaponry, powered exoskeletons, etc.
>>
>>51452858
Depends what kind of campaign you want.
Thaumatology: Alchemical Baroque is pretty good for early 1600s type light fantasy.

After the End is the go to for post-apocalyptic.

Transhuman Space is cyberpunk, and Traveller adaption is good for space opera shit.
>>
Are there any good resources, tutorials or actual play podcasts/videos to help with learning GURPS? I've wanted to learn it forever, but the rulebooks alone are a little daunting.
>>
>>51454887
Filmreroll is a fantastic actual play podcast.
>>
Anyone else wish that there were more Reign of Steel books? The lore is so good. I want to read books set in that universe.
>>
>>51455084
Not that guy, but this is great. Cheers friend!
>>
>>51432881
>>51433168
>>51434667
>>51435632
Where is even slavery, especially the profit/prices/jobs etc is even described in the books?
>>
>>51435912
Depends on country, really. Without specification, you literally can't give an answer. And even if you have country, you still need a time period.
>>
>>51455190
Basic set page 518 has a little about slaves.
>>
>>51452308
This plus Low Tech, Low-Tech Companions 1 to 3, Pyramid Bulding the Low-Tech Landscape parts 1 and 2 ONLY if you wanna do the math to see how much people can live on X acres of land, how much people each daymio needs to support his status, and how much people can live in the cities supported by those lands, and MAYBE GURPS steampunk if you wanna go wild
>>
>>51452308
That boy again, god, why so fucking hot.
>>
>>51455604
Also, can i get his name? i might be happy with platonically loving him thorugh pics
>>
>>51451016
My apologies. It wasn't an edit. It was a pivot. Anon was talking about D&D having nothing worth stealing, and that turned into a strawman involving Ars Magica and Mage. I'm content to let it rest now.
>>
>>51455598
Which is this Pyramid Building the Low-Tech? Would be this file: Pyramid 3-33 Low Tech?

Also the Landscape, which file is it?

And BTW: I forgot to mention earlier:

- There is magic portals in my world, only the elves have mastered how to manipulate them.
- When a Character die it will go to one hell similar to the Dante's Nine Hells.
>>
>>51458148
>Also the Landscape, which file is it?
It is called Pyramid 3#42 Bulding the Low-Tech Landscape but i can't find it on our mega archive so i uploaded a copy of it;

Part 1: https://mega.nz/#!F4sU1BhI!8BPNSfsKG5gB00fw5Q6jHPTV-rMdaCwSNxbXb57ahm4
Part 2: https://mega.nz/#!5g9yCLBY!JZ5j6O4IILKV22nMFHzGftQ3Rxiz7X78DURsdj2MtcE

>Which is this Pyramid Building the Low-Tech
as above, its the same archive.
>>
>>51458319
Which order should I read?
>>
>>51458413
Start by >>51452308 then you go take a look at the Low-Tech sourcebookthe MEGA archive on OP pic has a link for it and finish by going through >>51458319
>>
>>51458780
Thank you!
>>
>>51441126

Bumping the thread and asking again: can anyone point me to additional rules for Energy Reserves, or, if there aren't really any beyond those in Powers, how would you handle an energy reserve which doesn't recharge based on time but by consuming something or performing an action?
>>
File: Cx_aERMUQAAXgk2.jpg (93KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Cx_aERMUQAAXgk2.jpg
93KB, 768x1024px
>>51455795
>>51455604
Kassandra Leigh. Not quite so boyish as some pictures suggest.
>>
File: 31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg (37KB, 643x427px) Image search: [Google]
31085_131702600188486_5793646_n.jpg
37KB, 643x427px
>>51461771
They are in horror, acutely. All kinds of rules for energy reserves recovered by alternate means.
>>
>>51461771

I'd probably go for something like:

Energy Reserve as usual

Unhealing, Partial [-20]
From the Regeneration advantage, "fatique only +0%", so we have unhealing FP rather than unhealing HP.
Limitation: Applies to Energy Reserve only, -60% or -80%, if you have a huge reserve it could even be -40%.
>>
Why is Sex Appeal HT-based? I assume they mean how fit you look, but that's already covered by appearance.
>>
>>51462434
I always assumed it's because it's a mix of appearance, fitness and knowing how to use your body, similarly to how Running and Swimming is HT-based.

That aside, other stats would make even less sense for Sex Appeal.
>>
>>51462531
I think you are right. HT as vigor and health works as well as anything for sex appeal
>>
What's the most austically realistic way to handle character progression? No bonus points, hours spent studying only, final destination?
>>
Anyone got a template for a cientist character?
Also, is ST8, DX12, IQ15 and HT8 viable or am I fucked?
>>
>>51467215
>HT8
Nigga. You're going to die from the common cold.
>>
File: DSC_6395-Edit-X2.jpg (173KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6395-Edit-X2.jpg
173KB, 640x960px
>>51466794
Time spent studying only. HP, HT, Basic Speed, Move and DX can be 'trained' the same rate as skills. Note this means about three years training every day to increase DX by 1.

Oh, and maintaining stats and skills requires training or they degrade.

>>51467215

Academic [+50]
By Perfect Organism
Attributes: ST -1 [-10]; IQ +2 [40]
Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-2/1d-1; BL 16 lbs.; HP 9 [0]; Will 11 [-5]; Per 11 [-
5]; FP 10 [0]; Basic Speed 5 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0].
Advantages: 25 points chosen from among Cultural Familiarity [Varies], Eidetic Memory [5],
Languages [Varies], Less Sleep [2/level], Lightning Calculator [2], Mathematical Ability
Talent [10/level], Patron [Varies], Single Minded [5], Social Regard (Respected) [5/level],
Status [5/level], Tenure [5], Wealth [Varies] or +1 IQ [20].
Disadvantages: -15 points chosen from among Absent-Mindedness [-15], Bad Sight
(Correctable) [-10], Clueless [-10], Combat Paralysis [-15], Curious [-5*], Honesty [-10*],
Jealousy [-10], Oblivious [-5], Pacifism [Varies], Truthfulness [-5*], Unfit [-5] or Workaholic
[-5].
Primary Skills: Research (A) IQ+1 [4]-13, and one of Anthropology, Archaeology,
Chemistry, Economics, Expert Skill (any), Geography, Geology, History, Law, Linguistics,
Literature, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics or Sociology (H) IQ+1 [8]-13, Biology (VH) IQ
[8]-12, Connoisseur (any) (A) IQ+2 [8]-14 or 8 points in any other 'academic' skill.
Secondary Skills: any two of Administration (A) IQ [2]-12, Computer Operation (E) IQ+1
[2]-13, Public Speaking (A) IQ [2]-12, Savoir-Faire (E) IQ+1 [2]-13, Teaching (A) IQ [2]-12,
and Writing (A) IQ [2]-12.
Background Skills: 4 points in any of the skills listed under primary skills or any other skill

Generic academic, but workable.

>am I fucked?

Yes. HT 8 and ST 8 mean any injury will put you on the floor, down and out, and means you aren't fast enough to avoid trouble or strong enough to carry any useful armor.
>>
>>51467215
Depends entirely on the campaign type. Dungeon Fantasy, for example, doesn't have any templates have attributes below 10, and HT's minimum is actually 11; this is because dungeon delving for fun and profit is extremely taxing and dangerous, requiring only the most skilled and able -- even the bookish wizard needs to be able to do some serious cardio. Conversely, I know planet of people that get buy with ST 9, DX 10, IQ 12, and HT 8 IRL, so I'm guessing it's viable for more low-threat games.

And "scientist" is exceptionally broad not only in terms of ability but also tone. I'm guessing you want a cinematic "generalist" scientist skilled in physics, chemistry, biology, electrical engineering, etc.?
>>
File: 20100702_rtl3328_hdr.jpg (225KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
20100702_rtl3328_hdr.jpg
225KB, 1200x798px
>>51467528

>Depends entirely on the campaign type.

It's a game set in 1981, New Orleans where a group of single fathers meet in a church support group. Widowers and abandoned families holding together to try and bring up their children right and maybe learn to love again.

Everyone has to take the dependent disadvantage.
>>
New player here. I have 145/50 to build my character with, it's a TL6 game set in Germany, 1900.
I wanna make an IQ based character. Any ideas?
>>
>>51467878

IQ 12, HT 12, DX 12, ST 10 are very solid stats to start. Follow up with Combat Reflexes and then pick between talents like Natural Healer, High Manuel Dexterity and Mathematics Aptitude for a specialist or taking more IQ for a generalist.

Put 4-8 points in skills you feel define your character and one weapon skill like Pistols, Shotgun or Rifle and 1-4 points in other skills.

This gives you a generalist that will be tough, fast, hard to hit and able to pick up new skills easily.
>>
>>51467722
I'm guessing your GM is planning on dropping some sort of twist later on? As is, I can't see stats being important and RPing will take up the entire stage instead. IQ15 is literal genius level, though, so it may be odd to justify your character chillin' in the local church support group unless he has some other disadvantages (e.g. a math professor at the local college; a total savant that could be making bank elsewhere but is held back by extreme interpersonal/social issues).

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that those dependents are going to get kidnapped/lost ASAP and that's the motivation for adventuring. If that's the case, yeah as others said 8 ST/HT means that the second things start going south your character is as good as dead. Consider dropping DX to 11 and IQ to 14 to buy both ST and HT back up to 10.
>>
>>51467878
What do you mean IQ based? Other then the year and place what will be going on?
>>
>>51469818
I mean anything with IQ as it's main stat. It could be a mad scientist, a paranormal professor, a master of disguise and trickery, a genius detective, etc. Mostly because my group lacks an IQ character.
I also have 50 points to spend on supernatural abilities of any kind.

The game is going to be about investigating the country in search of paranormal, supernatural and mythological activity.
>>
>>51472879
If you're doing an investigation game and you're the only IQ based dude, then probably best to go for a forensics kind of guy so you can gather and analyse clues. Maybe a pathologist, who could also justify a bit of medical stuff as background skills (a low-IQ group probably doesn't have a decent healer).
>>
>>51472879
Lore whores can be very useful. Investigators make great use of the free PER, and investing in Intelligence Analysis, Observation, Search, and similar skills makes you the main plot mover.

50 points can buy one or two fun abilities. Keeping with the lore/investigation focus, consider subtler psi powers like ESP, powerful but uncontrollable future-sight, empathy, postcognition, etc. rather than a flashy innate attacks, mind control, or TK.
>>
File: be8905ce62632284dab8b1c89b5f2737.jpg (573KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
be8905ce62632284dab8b1c89b5f2737.jpg
573KB, 1024x576px
How i can make game about hunting down and cool fight with Big Solitary Monsters and avoid eye shot problems, with mechanics for butchering for loot and profit?
Setting choice is between postapocalypse [easy -- grab Regin of Steel Robots and here we go] and magitek/dungeon punk fantasy [my players heavily likes to lose limbs and replacing them with cool implants, and sometime they never asked for this]
Im already paked things like Combat Writ Large [3-77], On Target [3-77], Broken Blade [3-87], LT Armor Design [3-52] and Scaling Weapons and Armor [LTC2] with calc sheets, [MA], [MA: TG].
>>
>>51468033
I'm hoping for anon's sake that his GM is adding a twist later on.
>>
>>51475199

Look up Nictitating Membrane, it's entirely fair to purchase eye-DR.
>>
File: thinking.png (198KB, 1190x838px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.png
198KB, 1190x838px
>>51418919
What I would do is just play last gasp with AP. Less book keeping if you have a counter (like a 20-sided die on a table, or Roll20's bar system), and the AP rules aren't reliant on the other, more hardcore fatigue rules as much.
>>
>>51477192
"just last gasp with just AP"****
>>
Any suggestions on making two casters feel distinct from one another and preserve a little niche protection? Normally I'm not to worried about that, but they will be the only two players in this specific game so I want them to each feel fairly unique and 'have cool stuff' and their own specialties.

Probably using either RPM or Sorcery or even a combo.

One character is a giant sentient spider from a not!Chinese shapeshifter tribe, which weaves mystical web patterns with different effects; the other is an ex military battle witch from a WW1-conflict-type special forces unit.

Ideas on mechanics, or just general specialty ideas, both welcome. In particular wondering how I want to model the spider having to weave webs to achieve spell effects (treat it like Charms-only RPM, maybe? Dunno).
>>
>>51477192
But I actually really like the alternate fatigue rules...
>>
>>51477233
No they're great! But some people might think that the Last Gasp is all-or-nothing, which isn't true. You could /just/ use the AP rules if the other rules seem too intense.
>>
>>51477259
True. I also agree that using AP counters makes tLG really smooth in play, and in general the rules are fantastic for any gritty/realistic campaign featuring melee combat in any significant way (like a samurai focused game, or knights errant fighting barbarian hordes, or to emphasize how terrifying fighting undead would be in a fantasy game [or even how awesome it is to BE undead in a fantasy game when you gotta fight dudes], or whatever).
>>
Why is the points-to-$ ratio different between buying signature gear and trading points for money?
>>
>>51477467
Depends on the starting wealth.

For the latter, it's 1 point per 10% of the average starting wealth, and it can be spent on anything you wish.

For the former it's 1 point per 50% of the average starting wealth, and must be spend on a specific piece of equipment.
>>
>>51477467
Signature gear is designed to let you have a cool or character-vital item/ship/whatever that is intended to be an ongoing part of their story/personality/concept without needing to be wealthy to 'buy' it.

Trading points for cash is literally just for some extra cash in play at the start; basically a cheapo form of Wealth up until a certain limit, at which point you should just buy Wealth instead.

They're not equivalent because they have different purposes. One is about having Indiana's un-loseable hat and whip, or Han's Millenium Falcon; the other is about just having cash.
>>
>>51477192
Long-Term Fatigue rule cool and awesome.
Buuut Shot-Term Fatigue (AP) is freakin' heavy, as seeing GM who count dozen of enemy AP counters every turn instead of battling BBEG with PC, is just awful as he starts to play warhammer with rolling d6 per mook to declare is he active on this turn or not.
But for game about something like duels of nobles or clashes of blademasters AP is awesome.

>>51477467
Points for money used as normal money.
Points for SG used to give you single plot armored item per SG advantage.
>>
>>51477582
Implying the GM has to roll a d6 at all. He should just decide with whatever is appropriate.

But I more or less agree with the statement that AP rules are suitable for duels and such.
>>
>>51477582
>GM who count dozen of enemy AP counters every turn instead of battling BBEG with PC, is just awful as he starts to play warhammer with rolling d6 per mook to declare is he active on this turn or not.

Swarm. Rules.
>>
>first time playing a tabletop campaign
>second session
>have to fight 5 aliens
>manage to defeat one of them
>get shot with alien gun
>DM kills me in one hit
GURPS is not for me, guys.
>>
>>51478029
Don't take on five alien gunners at once, then, unless you're at least a 250-point combat monster or can ambush them in a place you've trapped. Two enemies is a dangerous proposition in GURPS for the average 100~150 point character, five is a death sentence unless you're seriously stacking the odds in your favor.
>>
>>51478029
Would have to hear more details, but there's a distinct possibility that either your GM or you screwed up bad. Either way it sounds like there were mismatched expectations and perhaps a lack of experience involved on the GM's part.

Unless the goal/intent was to be playing in a life-is-cheap meatgrinder game, but based on your reaction that doesn't seem like what you signed up for.
>>
>>51478086
I'd say that also falls on the GM. When things are going against my players, I utilize random hit locations; losing arm arm sucks, but it's better than dying. Make sure the player knows retreat is an option. Flub it if the dice and not poor decision making is fucking the players over.
>>
>>51478029
Your GM has complete control over the situation, and isn't forced to throw OP monsters at you. Not the system's fault that the GM decided to shoot you with a 4d6x3(2) alien blaster.

Or you just suck at tactics.
>>
>>51478086
>>51478130
>>51478178
>>51478160
>follow a path full of blind choices
>"you're gonna talk to that guy or that guy?" "you're gonna follow that guy or that guy?"
>one of the three members of our party gets captured and we can't do much about it
>successfully infiltrate cultist lair
>find friend about to be open up
>better fight than let him die
>turns out they're aliens and have weird guns
>manage to avoid a shot by using one of them as a meat shield
>group takes out other two
>two left
>fail to avoid a shot
>die
>>
I'm short on ideas for generic encounters for my game. I want to have some ideas that I can deploy if I ever hit a stall.
>>
>>51478289
Also I don't really blame the GM, it just wasn't any gun dying in one hit. We felt like we didn't have much choice other then let our friend die so we didn't blow our cover.
>>
>>51478299
a very, very, very large swarm of chickens
>>
>>51478289
That is completely the GM's fault. The system just has rules for dealing with conflict (taking the shot, bargaining with the merchant, etc), not the finer points of constructing a plot.

If the GM is making you "follow a path full of blind choices" as you say, then it's his fault and not the fault of the system.

It is completely and totally your GM's fault.
>>
>>51478325
>gun
*fun
>>
>>51478325
>Also I don't really blame the GM
>gun dying in one hit
>didn't have much choice

You should blame the GM (not ostracize, not attack, not berate). Just because he didn't see a mistake (hell, you didn't) doesn't mean he didn't make one. Help him own up and fix it.

An average person gets shot by the equivalent of a rifle and becomes DED. Was your character average? What HP and HT?

You should blame the GM. Railroading is his fault. Encounter balance is his job. Making sure everybody is playing the same game is his job. Helping you build characters that can thrive in his game is his job.

The GM made mistakes (due to inexperience or malice doesn't matter). Don't blame the rules used; any rules can do similar imbalances.
>>
>>51478299
Can you at least tell us what your game is? I mean, it would be weird to have goblins suddenly show up in New York, or peasants with pitchforks on a space station.
>>
>>51478563
>peasants with pitchforks on a space station
If I ever run a space game, I'm going to find a way to work that in.
>>
File: bread and meat.jpg (307KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
bread and meat.jpg
307KB, 900x675px
>>51478615
Legend of Galactic Heroes had that weird retro thing going on in the Imperium.
>>
>>51478466
ST10, HT12. Our characters were ordinary (140/50), with only a few special abilities.
I kind of blame the system because I don't think I should have survived that shot anyway. I just feel like I might prefer a more unrealistic game like D&D then GURPS.
>>
>>51478563
Ah sorry. It's an early TL4 low-fantasy type setting. It's got goblins, ogres, and other critters that aren't exactly "magical," though the players haven't encountered any such creatures yet. I'm thinking of putting my players in an ancient burial mound and need some interesting room.

I have a few ideas of my own already, but would like to see if there is anything I haven't considered.
>>
>>51478724
You prefer unrealistic games but your GM set the game to gritty.

Try again with 300 to 500 points. Spend about half of those on attributes, one or two tenths on skills, and three or four tenths on abilities.

You will have a *very* different game. Much, much closer to what you prefer.

What you did was like preferring 10th level D&D and being shoved into a 1st level only game. Then got put up against the same opponents you'd see in the 10th level game.
>>
>>51478724
Yeah it's your GM's fault. If you were ordinary joes fighting 5 aliens with alien gear (i'm assuming you don't have your own cool gear), then it's your GM's fault completely.

Talk your GM into playing Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
>>51478910
Oh yeah, and get Luck. Lots of Luck. You want stories about heroes who succeed against all odds. When realism gets in the way Luck nudges it back to where you want it.
>>
>>51478724
Well, a preference is a preference and you should play what you think is fun.

That said, GURPS does cinematic/"unrealistic" just fine too, but the game needs to be calibrated to that. As the other anon said, Dungeon Fantasy for "D&D in GURPS", Monster Hunters for "Supernatural show or WoD in GURPS." Or Action for "James Bond/John McClane/Mission Impossible/etc. in GURPS.
All built for their own specific brand of cinematic, over the top "unrealistic" play.

To be honest it sounds like you had a poor GM, and mismatched expectations from both sides on top of that. Recipe for a bad time.

But, again, play what you think is fun not what others tell you to. That said, I'd still recommend giving GURPS another go, preferably with a more experienced GM, if you have a chance. You really can do a whole bunch of game styles with it, and you can absolutely play a heroic badass and not be doomed to die in the gutter/disintegrated in one shot by an alien (unless that's what the game is supposed to be about).
>>
>>51478910
>>51478988
>>51478916
My DM really likes combat, but doesn't like medieval fantasy. l don't really have many group options for local play where l live, so l guess l'll just talk to him and make a new character.
ls there a way to make an unarmed martial artist viable in a game like this, with only 140/50, when only 50 can be used to buy supernatural advantages?
>>
>>51479256
I seriously doubt it, given the style of game your GM appears to be running, and the fact that you're apparently supposed to be fighting crap way out of your league like aliens with blasters.

Which is sad, because martial artists in GURPS are really fun.
>>
>>51479322
That's a shame. l hope there's at least a fun power l can get for 50cp then.
>>
I really want to learn GURPS, but I have yet to find a group to play it in.
>>
>>51480133
Start one.
>>
>>51480271
Usually I do, but considering I don't even know how to PLAY the game, let alone RUN it...
>>
>>51480328
Read and run GURPS Lite + How to Be a GURPS GM.
>>
File: GURPS.png (512KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS.png
512KB, 900x300px
>>51480328

What >>51480348 said. Grab a free copy of GURPS Lite and familiarize yourself with the basics. Worry about details later. Run a simple game using what you know from Lite and just make up shit for anything not explicitly stated. Not sure what modifier you attach to a certain task? Make it up, see what happens, and take note.
>>
>>51477217

One easy way is to give them different discounts on Greater effects.

Spiderthing could have something like "rituals that only affect things caught in a web/Binding have one Greater effect count as Lesser" or such - making it much cheaper to make nasty web AoE effects.
>>
>>51479679
There is a thread on SJgames.com forums that is all 50 point abilities statted up by the community. I recommend looking there and using them as inspiration or stealing one wholesale.
>>
>>51481474
That's a pretty neat idea, thanks.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.