[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 34

> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
>>51377371

Which archetype do you want to see in Arcana and/or new splatbook? Keep in mind that arcane cleric, bladesinger, mastermind and banneret were never playtested in an Arcana before the release.
Which explains why they are shit.
>>
Drunken monk obviously
>>
>>51382592
Mastermind is pretty okay, though. I'd take it over Thief or Assassin any day.

Bladesinger is shit, though. There's no saving that.
>>
Archetypes I'd like to see:
1) Non-Battlerager Berserker that's functional. Just make the Intimidate feature have actual value and reduce the rate of Exhaustion accumulation of Frenzy and it'd be a viable (if far from optimal) alternative to Totem Barbarians.
2) Elemental Sorcerers. The framework is already there with Storm Sorcerers, and Elementalists are a staple of D&D throughout not only every edition but almost every setting too.
3) A Warlock that feels like it actually made a pact with something / is in an agreement with a greater power, as opposed to the current flavor which is "Sorcerer but not Sorcerer only kinda like Sorcerer but trust us it's not a Sorcerer".
>>
I hope for a fey warlock
>>
Anybody play any sessions recently where Mindflayers were involved?

Your DM do anything interesting with them? Anything worth stealing?
>>
>>51382907
Bruh....
>>
What are the limits on True Polymorph?
>>
>>51382744
Assassin is quite powerful, but it works best when taken not as a Level 1-20 option but four levels of MultiClass for another Class. Advantage on all attacks if you have higher initiative is huge, as is first round auto-crits if you catch the enemy by surprise.

Bladesinger is VIABLE, but yeah it very much suffers from a number of issues. You lack the durability to be a frontline fighter until you get the Defensive ribbon, and if you dip that far into Bladesinger you're only ever going to get two attacks / round (which means your weapon DPS is competing with a solitary cantrip that will often do at least as much damage as if both your attacks hit). I think it generally works best when combined with a Monk or Rogue multi class.
>>
File: THOON IS THOON AND THOON IS ALL.png (618KB, 496x575px) Image search: [Google]
THOON IS THOON AND THOON IS ALL.png
618KB, 496x575px
>>51382914
Wizards should bring back mindflayers of Thoon.
>>
>>51382592
got banned from discord by fags
someone start a new discord
>>
>>51382985
Gish players should suffer.
>>
>>51383025
What did you do?>>51383025
>>
>>51383039
plz no
>>
>>51383025
>be a fag
>get banned
>create an alternate discord run by fags

yeah sure knock yourself out
>>
>>51382987
What are they?
>>
I'd really like to see some kind of alchemist class
>Brew health potions and buff-granting concoctions
>Craft poisons, acids, and explosives for combat-use
>Grow your own familiars and homonculi in jars
>Transform substances into other substances
Only problem I suppose is making it interesting to play in combat, since most of the "Fun" stuff would be prepping beforehand.
>>
So what's the best Gish in D&D 5e?

In the running we've got:

* Bladesinger wizard
* Blade Pact warlock
* Valor bard
* Eldritch Knight fighter
* Arcane Trickster rogue
* some other bullshit I probably forgot

Hardmode: No multiclassing.
>>
Thoughts on Volo's races? At first glance Assimar seem broken af.
>>
>>51383161
Paladin.
>>
File: Artificer Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Artificer Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51383159
>>
>>51383161
Hardmode, arcane caster only edition?

Mountain Dwarf Red Dragon Sorcerer.
>>
Has someone created Gem Dragons for 5e yet somewhere? If not, guess I'll do them.
>>
>>51383130
Then we'd have 2 discords filled with fags.

Seriously, Discord needs to be removed from the /5eg/ OP.
>>
>>51383186
Dang, never knew about this.

Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1292061935695.jpg (639KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1292061935695.jpg
639KB, 1200x1000px
>>51383161

Paladins.
>>
>>51383131
A lost mindflayer expedition that returned from the Far Realm, they've adopted an alien philosophy/deity/religion and are more similar to lovecraftian Mi-Go in a sense that they harvest living creatures for their essentia and make use of vaguely sci-fi alien machinery with sleek designs.
They also dont mind eating other illithids.
>>
>>51383161
Paladin, probably one with Oath of Vengeance.
>>
>>51383167
They're definitely strong. However, given 5e's balance range they're not too bad in-play.
>>
>>51382592
What patron do I choose for a Scourge Aasimar Warlock?

Alternatively, what type of Celestial creature can I refluff to be my patron without being OP and or snowflakey?
>>
>>51382985
Assassins only have advantage until they get a turn, all subsequent rounds they woudn't.
>>
>>51383330
>Scourge Aasimar
Most flavorful patron would be Undying Light from the underdark UA.
>>
>>51383167

aasimar and yuan-ti are both a bit op but the races are interesting. i'd allow anything other than those two
>>
>>51383359
I never used Unearthed Arcana before.

Good, or bad?
>>
>>51383300
Neato.
>>
>>51383376
Mechanically it's breddy gud.

Fluffwise it'll give you a hateboner for the undead.
>>
>>51383376
It's really good.
Check it out https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Warlock
>>
>>51383394
>>51383401
Much thanks anons, will use it.
>>
>People still abusing familiars for advantage

Do you feel wizard isn't powerful enough already or something?
>>
Got a player who's playing an Eldritch Knight that worships Kord. Tells me he'd like to start taking levels as paladin, but only when it makes sense (his father is a paladin of Kord, and founded his own church; he's trying to take the same path).

What would be a good "sign". The past two major battles he's gotten trounced via bad rolls and positioning, and in-game he's taken it pretty hard. Suggestions?
>>
>>51383555
If he's roleplaying things well, give him Inspiration, and let him use that when he sees fit. If it pans out particularly well, give him the go.
>>
File: question mark.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
anyone know of a rule about certain attacks you make not applying your damage modifier?
>>
I hate d4s. They roll like shit.
>>
File: cool wizard.gif (144KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
cool wizard.gif
144KB, 126x126px
>>51383543
OP features aren't free. The tree of cheese and loopholes gotta be litered with the blood of Martials.
It's WIZARDS of the coast not FIGHTERS that can boast ok
Praise Vecna
>>
>>51383613
The only things that do that are spell attacks (which get no modifier by default) and the bonus action attack for two-weapon fighting (which can get it via a fighting style).
>>
>>51383633
Kas did nothing wrong
>>
File: ykxnogosgzuposg6wzws.jpg (201KB, 1280x808px) Image search: [Google]
ykxnogosgzuposg6wzws.jpg
201KB, 1280x808px
Need a good mini adventure set deep in a weird forest. Any ideas?
>>
>>51383543
Familiars are very squishy and there are very few spells that use attack rolls. It's best used as an extra support unit for martials (like most wizard abilities).
>>
>>51383704
Even so, advantage on attack rolls for wizard abilities matters more since they use spell slots and are most burstey, and the help can go to someone like a BB rogue that needs it badly.

While familiars are squishy, they're also very cheap, and wizards essentially get familiars for free. Warlocks don't quite get it so easily, but the only two good PHB pacts either give you a familiar or give you a familiar if you take an invocation.

Then EKs and ATs probably have a free slot for a familiar.

But the real concern here is that wizards kind of don't need such things.

>>51383613
If it isn't a melee weapon attack or a ranged weapon attack, I don't believe it add any ability modifier to the damage by default.
>>
>>51383543
I'm the guy who made that reply. Yeah, owls are great for using your familiar to the absolute best of what the spell can do. No, wizards don't actually need the extra help. I like to pick cats for my familiars, because they fit my character themes better and because they're cats.

But the question I was answering was which familiar is the best, and that's owls.
>>
>>51383691
Some large mutant wolf-demon is mind-controlling packs of wolves, using them like hunting hounds to flush the party into it's lair, the overgrown ruins of some long-forgotten chapel. Bigass heavy bramble thickets and dense fog should serve as environmental barriers to just backtracking and noping out. Area around the chapel ruins is desecrated and filled with relatively weak undead.
>>
>>51383062
told an autist his homebrew was shite and to stop shilling it so hard
>>
>>51383850
There really aren't a lot of good bursty attack roll spells to consider though. There's Chromatic Orb for bursty and attack roll, but is that really good? I guess it helps things like Mordenkainen's Sword (not good) or Bigby's Hand. Anything else come to mind?
>>
File: L5dT08Y.jpg (166KB, 900x688px) Image search: [Google]
L5dT08Y.jpg
166KB, 900x688px
CRAFTING MAGIC ITEMS
Item Rarity Creation Cost Minimum Level
Common 100 gp 3rd
Uncommon 500 gp 3rd
Rare 5,000 gp 6th
Very rare 50,000 gp llth
Legendary 500,000 gp 17th

character wants to be an artificer that lets him have this instead at level 3:

Crafting Table
Item Rarity Creation Cost Minimum Level
Common 50 gp 3rd
Uncommon 100 gp 3rd
Rare 500 gp 5th
Very Rare 5,000 gp 9th
Legendary 50,000 gp 15th
>>
>>51383850
This is the kind of thinking that made me swap Druid and Ranger pets in 3.5. Rangers definitely needed the better pet growth over a Druid.

However, I don't think Wizards having a familiar upsets the scales nearly as much in 5e, especially not to the point that I need to mess with anything,
>>
>>51384031
explain to him that playing 5e is about being a sniveling tear dripping cuckold who has no ability to obtain any form of valuable on their own and must beg their GM for the tiniest of pittances and then pray that he will feel so generous as to bestow the party's 10th level battlemaster with a ring of water walking or, if he feels the battlemaster truly needs it, a shortsword that counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance but grants no inherent stat bonuses
explain to him that he should feel grateful you have presented any kind of crafting rules to him in the first place
>>
>>51384207
Go away, 4rrie, nobody likes you.
>>
>>51382981
What do you mean?

>>51382985
Reread Assassin features

>>51383167
Yuan-ti is too strong
Aasimar is strong
Orc is generally worse half-orc
Why do Hobgoblins get INT?
The rest are fine I guess

>>51383210
Don't forget to post it

>>51383691
Fey Sisters Fate
You did download the DMs Guild mega when it was up, right?
>>
>>51384031
I would give them both that and the free magic items
>>
>>51384327
>kobolds aren't there
dude you're missing the worst fucking race in the entire thing or bugbears, one of the best.
>>
File: Mio Naganohara.jpg (9KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
Mio Naganohara.jpg
9KB, 219x230px
>>51383678
>>51383850
ok because recently the monk in my campaign wasn't adding his dex to his bonus attack from martial arts, is that right or what? This is not the first time I seen this come up, but everytime I try to find a ruling, there is none to be found.
>>
>Player usually plays a blaster
>Tries out being a controller
>Likes it, but misses blasting a little bit.
>Have an NPC whose life he saved throw a Ring of Magic Missile his way, one free cast per day
>Loves it, never takes it off
>The BBEG is using it to track the party's movements.
>>
>>51384388
I've had a very similiar thing happen - Strahd gifted the party a magic sword that was obviously cursed. However, beyond driving the user insane, it also was a listening device through which he learned the location and identity of his arch-nemesis.
They really should have thrown it away at the first opportunity, but the power was too tempting.
>>
>>51384031
Keep in mind a cost reduction also reduces the time it takes to make items, because you have to pay 25 gp a day until you reach the cost.

This means at level three he gets to mass produce +1 weapons and armor taking only 4 days per as opposed to 20
>>
>>51384357
I didn't miss. Just didn't talk about it again. Kobolds can be nice. Especially at night. Even more if it's just Kobolds. What about a Kobold Dragon-Hunting Party?
There's Bugbearmont too, for some whippin' good time. But 5' reach when attacking isn't all that OP.
>>
>>51384327
funnily enough i'm reading it now
>>
>>51384327
>What do you mean?
If I TP myself into an Illithid, are my new stats simply my base stats now that can be increased with feats, class features, equipment, and things like that?
>>
>>51383863
I'm the one that asked about it and my group needs all the support they can get since most of them are new and all of them do dumb shit on top of having bad rolls. Plus we just lost two people and they were playing our tank and off-tank.
>>
>>51384383
He should be adding his Dex.
>>
>>51384327
>Don't forget to post it

Will do. What was the site again that lets you create stat blocks, class spreads, etc. on the fly? I can't remember for the life of me.
>>
>>51383025
>>51383062
>>51384000

Can confirm, the current discord is shit right now. Some bitch pretending to be female gathered up a lot of beta orbiters and when confronted, the admin banned some people. It's really a shit show in there, it'd probably be better to just not include it.
>>
>>51384327
>Why do Hobgoblins get INT?
Because they're good tacticians.
Such a shame fighters don't actually use Int for anything but Eldritch Knight, while hobgoblins aren't really fluffed around arcane magic at all.
>>
>>51384553
/General/ discords are always shit.
>>
>>51384553
He banned one person, and it wasn't related to that drama.
>>
What would you guys say is the best build for a gunslinger (the Mercer one). I was thinking either 18 or 20 total levels of fighter is best because you really need that capstone crit range boost and the third attack tends to be better than a single level in anything else. If it changes anything my DM will allow the archetype to be used as a ranger archetype but he seems iffy on the UA ranger.
>>
>>51384508
Then your DM is fucking up. His job is to throw encounters appropriate to the group.
>>
>>51384553
three people who asked this female for nudes and wanting to meet up to fuck her, one with a wife even, found out she was a dude and lost their shit, taking the whole chat down with it. it's a nightmare in there. everyone should join to watch this shit it is so funny
>>
>>51384492
Bugbear isn't OP at first, but once you start getting polearm mastery into the mix with opportunity attacking fuckers who get close to you, along with the close quarters fighting style
Using the new UA tree ranger+Halberd+Enlarge that's goddamn 25ft of no enter zone.
Then tack on Eldritch blast+sentinel+warcaster for some multiclass hellish nightmare that makes the DM want to kill himself
>>
>>51384501
Illithids don't have classes. You're venturing into homebrew territory when you give it to them.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, there's just not much help we can give you.
>>
>>51384383
Because your monk is probably the only one in the world who read it that way.

> When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.

There is literally nothing in there that suggest him not to add his dex.
>>
>>51384501
You use it's game statistics as if it were yours and apply class features, equipment and such if the new form is physically adequate. With an Illithid, I'd say you retain your class features and feats, but your equipment would likely need some tuning.

>>51384532
This one I guess http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>>
>>51384613
Bugbear's reach has no effect on OAs, it only works on your turn. Day 1 revelation.
>>
>>51384614
Ah, alrighty.
>>
>>51384501
True polymorph doesn't let you keep your class features. Besides, with true polymorph you should just find an ant nest and just start making infinite magic items and become god.
>>
>>51384653
TP replaces your statistics. It's shapechange that lets you keep them.
>>
>>51384501
> True Polymorph
Everything you have is replace with Illithid stats. So you lost everything you previously has including feats, class level, class feature (like spell casting).
>>
>>51384659
what the hell? Where was this posted?
>>
>>51384653
READ THE FREAKING SPELL.

You don't get any of your old class features with True Polymorph. Only Shapechange spell allow that.
>>
>>51384577
Well, they do have some blasty mages in their ranks.
They could showcase the tactician part of the race with another feature, instead of the save face one.

>>51384613
As the other anon said, the reach only works when you attack on your turn. But even then, many people play on theatre of the mind. This feature would hardly come up.
>>
>>51384726
In the book: "When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater"
>>
>>51384681
>>51384727
You're right, I mixed it up. Never got to lv17 either.
>>
>>51382985
>Bladesinger is VIABLE, but yeah it very much suffers from a number of issues. You lack the durability to be a frontline fighter until you get the Defensive ribbon, and if you dip that far into Bladesinger you're only ever going to get two attacks / round (which means your weapon DPS is competing with a solitary cantrip that will often do at least as much damage as if both your attacks hit). I think it generally works best when combined with a Monk or Rogue multi class.

You're playing it wrong if you're actually using it primarily for melee. It's just a defensively strong wizard that has the option to do a bit more damage than most with GFB and BB.
>>
>>51384604
He is giving reasonable ones, the dumb shit is happening either outside of encounters or when we should be walking away because the enemies are gone and then we go into other encounters low on health and spells since they don't like taking rests.
>>
>>51384775
Oh god I'm sorry for being retarded, the rest of the build except the bugbear party could still be used I guess.

>>51384740
>theatre of the mind
>not coming up
If the DM doesn't have monsters walk up to you then I guess, but once they get 20ft away from you they get fucked by 1 to 4 eldritch blasts or 1 halberd attack, that if any of those hit, the target can't get any closer.
>>
>>51383320
They're good, but there's nothing in Volo's as good as variant human. Aasimar are about on par with half-elves for certain Charisma classes.

Everyone should look at what actually qualifies for the yuan-ti magic resistance and realize it doesn't work against most of the monster save-or-suck effects in the game.
>>
>>51384797
This.

Most the bladesinger kit help you escape melee situation.
>>
>>51384807
The bugbear feature of 5 extra feet, I mean. If you're attacking from 25' or 20' it doesn't really matter, in the theater it's all just "attacking from a good range" or "keeping them at bay".
And if people just can't get on to you, they'll just go around to your mates or attack from afar. This stuff, as the name says, works best in tunnels and similar situations.
>>
>>51384807
theater of the mind only have close,medium and long range IIRC.

Also I'm pretty sure sentinel doesn't work with EB+Warcaster. The attack you get from sentinel's attack isn't OA.
>>
>>51385012
>theater of the mind only have close,medium and long range IIRC.
Theatre of the Mind has as many ranges as the DM and players feel like/can handle - there aren't rules for it.
>>
Looking for some feedback on this Monk archetype, which is drawing inspiration from the Swordsage class back in 3.5.
>>
>>51384553
>>51383242
>>51384608
I third the notion to remove discord from OP. I would genuinely feel bad for anyone who went into that reddit-tier circle jerk fest.

>Admin banned dude for shitposting in a channel called shitposting cause Admin is huge white knight

What a disgrace to 4chan. And that's saying something.
>>
>>51383576
Any other suggestions? We don't really use Inspiration (group decision).
>>
>>51382592
They do an aberrant blood sorcerer yet?
>>
I know /5eg/ hates homebrews but I'll still post it anywas.

I've finished my Monk Samurai homebrew. If anyone here is interested in checking it out then here it is.
>>
Do I have to go monk, If I just want to punch shit with barely any technique?
>>
>>51385384

>wonder: "what makes this distinct from a kensei?"
>open it up
>the level 17 feature is literally "Kensei"

Well then.
>>
>>51385189
Dude/gal is free to run their channel as they sees fit, including banning pottymouths. That said, there's no real reason why that Discord channel should be connected in any way to /5eg/.

>>51383555
He can find an ancient relic related to the faith, or have an ordeal similar to one Kord himself had according to a legend.
>>
>>51385408
Tavern Brawler Barbarian
>>
File: praise.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
praise.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
Say I'm building a CN Warlock of Kek (GOO), what are some spells which would fit into the concept?
>>
>>51385384
>You are proficient in Do, and may add your unarmored defense to your AC while wearing it

So, that'd be DEX + WIS + 10 + 12 (from Do).

That makes the monk's AC 22 at the absolute minimum. It probably needs fixing.
>>
>>51385384
Problems
1. Pummel is exactly the martial arts extra attack, except it hits automatically
2. Deflect Attack is too good; you shouldn't give it a counterattack, it's fine without it (and yes, I understand it's based on Deflect Missiles)
3. Flurry of Slashes allows 3 weapon attacks at level 6 and 4 at level 11, which is ridiculous. You don't get more weapon attacks than a fighter, famalam
4. Level 17 "Kensei" is retardedly OP
5. You don't understand how AC works; Unarmored Defense isn't "added" to anything. You have to specify that a monk's AC while wearing a Do is 12 + dex + wis, and also that's too good because he can reach 22 without any compromises which is wicked high and normally only obtainable by a dexterity barbarian

The good things redeeming this from being completely stupid
1. Deflect Missiles but for melee attacks is actually a pretty cool idea, and similar to Uncanny Dodge
2. Elegant Courtier is a nice ribbon
3. Dashing Strikes is essentially disengage but cooler-sounding. Would be even cooler if you allowed the samurai to move through enemies' spaces with it

Seriously, though, it's called "unarmored defense" for a reason.
>>
>>51385505
meme magic

dubsmithing
>>
>>51385574
My dubs game is on point m8. I'm searching for spell selection related to chaos and frogs
>>
>>51385574
>>51385734
Oh shit now I want to homebrew a Warlock subclass.

>Dubs Get: When you have advantage on an attack and roll the same number on both dice, the attack automatically succeeds and is a critical hit regardless of the actual numbers that were rolled.
>>
>>51385505
Multiclass into a Wild sorcerer or you're not playing it correctly.
>>
>>51382592
Okay so, Volo's guide. There's the Tabaxi. Catfolk race with claws and speed, very nice.

Question: Did they really mean to give them a 1d4+Strength slashing weapon? Seems awful. Was wondering if that was intentional or if there was errata on that.
>>
>>51385803
Even though this is the dumbest fucking meme to hit /5eg/ in a while, this is actually a decent and interesting class feature. It increases the chance of a critical hit with advantage from ~10% to ~15%, which isn't that crazy, and the chance of success by honestly not a lot, and it's pretty (ugh) flavorful.

>>51385915
1d4 + strength is better than regular unarmed strikes. It wasn't meant to be stronger than a sword.
>>
>>51385505
Can only be played correctly through wild sorcerer. Get a frog familiar.
>>
File: magic mushroom.png (352KB, 728x684px) Image search: [Google]
magic mushroom.png
352KB, 728x684px
my level 7 druid wanted to make magic mushroom potions.

These mushrooms are extremely rare and after 5 sessions they have only found 3.
>>
Can a Forge Cleric work as a frontline character? I've never played the big tough guy but I loath Barbarians, Fighters and Paladins.
>>
>>51386097
I'll let you know in a couple weeks.
>>
>>51386097
Yes, but they're OP and will almost definitely be nerfed by the time they're released, if they are released at all, and if your DM says "no" you shouldn't argue.
>>
>>51386175
He's already given me a thumbs up. I'm planing to go Mountain Dwarf and play it about as stereotypical as I can, just need something small to make him different.
>>
Why are standard humans such garbage?
>>
File: 1474564841521.jpg (109KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1474564841521.jpg
109KB, 650x650px
just how long does wizards plan on putting things out that will never make it into books? For christ's sake when are we going to get a purely player's option book.
>>
>>51386216
The end of this year, probably.
>>
>>51385384
1. Pummel is for when you are armored and CANNOT use your martial arts. You missed it's point entirely.
2. I disagree that it is too strong since you need to use ki in order to use it at all unlike deflect missile.
3. Fighters get those attacks for free unlike this class famalam
4. Not as retardedly OP as OHKO or 10d10 on a whim.
5. I do one 100% percent understand how AC works, the point of being able to use unarmored defense with it is so that for anyone else but you it's just a shitty piece of armor. Aswell, if it didn't use unarmored defense there would be *ZERO REASON* to use it over your unarmored defense.
>>
>>51386200
Then I wouldn't worry about anything. Like I said, it's a really strong archetype, so you should function just fine.
>>
>>51385551
>1. Pummel is for when you are armored and CANNOT use your martial arts. You missed it's point entirely.
>2. I disagree that it is too strong since you need to use ki in order to use it at all unlike deflect missile.
>3. Fighters get those attacks for free unlike this class famalam
>4. Not as retardedly OP as OHKO or 10d10 on a whim.
>5. I do one 100% percent understand how AC works, the point of being able to use unarmored defense with it is so that for anyone else but you it's just a shitty piece of armor. Aswell, if it didn't use unarmored defense there would be *ZERO REASON* to use it over your unarmored defense.
>>
>>51386216
Creating content only to axe it alter is fucking redundant.
>b-b-b-but muh balance
It's not like they're gonna show you ALL the content they produce, otherwise noone would buy the books. Just look at purple dragon knight.
Besides, any DM can simply rule something he does not like out of existance.
They should just legalize all the released arcanas so far.
>>
>>51385514
Don't forget that you lose your martial arts if you use it. That's where the balance comes in.
>>
>>51385410
Kensei in this case means you've become a sword saint, ala Miyamoto Musashi.
>>
>>51386069

>Rare
>Found 3 over 5 sessions

No anon. That is not rare.
>>
So Crawford replied to the "hold/wield" issue from Kensai or any other class, and guess what? I was right, Hold/Wield is the fucking SAME, Kensai is suddenly retarded and can't punch if he has a Kensai weapon, period, whether you hold it, wield it or shove it in your ass.
>>
>>51386248
I'm gonna assume you're responding to me, and reply accordingly.
1. That's fair, but it should still require an attack roll.
2. You're wrong. Making a melee attack as a reaction is something that essentially doesn't exist in the PHB for a reason.
3. Ki cost is really not that big a deal after level 5 or 6, because it resets on a short rest, familingo. It's not like other monks don't spam Flurry of Blows every turn.
4. Actually wrong but ok.
5. I meant the wording misses how AC works in 5e. You don't "add" anything. There are calculations. Unarmored Defense is a calculation. You cannot "add" it to anything. You need to specify the full AC formula. And it's still too strong anyhow.
If you REALLY want armored monks (ok) you should still rethink your approach, because this one has them basically start out with a guaranteed 18+ AC, which is too much for monks, due to their better damage mitigation (Deflect Attacks, for example).
>>
File: 1279766739024.jpg (532KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1279766739024.jpg
532KB, 1280x1024px
I'm playing a Palading in a few days /5eg/, what 1st and 2nd level spells should I be preparing for playing a support role? I have two other melee characters in my party and I'm not built for offense.
>>
>>51385410
>what makes it different than a kensai
That is still a monk and doesn't suddenly forgets to be a monk if a kensai weapon (different than short sword) is in his near vicinity
>>
>>51386352
What if you drop it? I mean it's not the best idea in the world but it could come in handy once or twice.
>>
>>51386289
Giving a +2 to AC on a class that is already easily getting 20 if they bother to have good stats isn't a great idea.

If the person wants the appearance of armor just keep it fluff or have it grant no AC; it's not like anyone is going to actually see it anyway.

Give them another flavor option instead if that tickles your fancy. Proficiency in painting or poetry or something.
>>
>>51386397
I'm confused. Do you think you're a support character, or do you just mean you're not going to smite? You're going to be sitting around with your thumb up your ass a lot if you don't go into melee range or use a bow sometimes as a paladin.
>>
>>51385416
>He can find an ancient relic related to the faith, or have an ordeal similar to one Kord himself had according to a legend.

Care to expound on that?
>>
>>51386434
If you don't have the kensai weapon in hand you lose the +2 to AC from kensai feature
>>
>>51386310
>any DM can simply rule something he does not like out of existance
>They should just legalize all the released arcanas so far
No, organized League play requires DMs to accept all published content, so it needs to not be insanely OP.
You realize nothing is stopping you from using them in your private games even if they're not released, right?
>>
>>51386397
>support role
>Paladin
Nigga, that's what clerics are for! Paladins are for punching evil in its fucking face!

That being said, Heroism, protection from evil and good, shield of faith, and magic weapon, would be a start
>>
>>51386348
I didn't want just one, I let them have 3 to make 3 potions.
>>
>>51386464
>organized League play

I think I see where your butt-frustration comes from. That stuff exists for people who lack the social ability to form friendly groups.
>>
>>51386440
>easily 20
Other melee classes can as easily have 22+ by the same time ;^)
>>
>>51386471

And over 5 sessions, that makes the potions really rather common.
>>
File: spinzakusword2.gif (3MB, 323x252px) Image search: [Google]
spinzakusword2.gif
3MB, 323x252px
How do you make your martial players feel good, /5eg/?
>>
>>51386386
>replying from the 2nd argument onwards
1. Sentinel.
2. Fair point but I still disagree.
3. Disregarding an argument is not an argument itself.
4. you're arguing semantics at this point. And as it pertains the AC I cannot say anything but I disagree that it is overpowered since you lose features while wearing it.
>>
>>51386590
Everyone plays gish
>>
>>51386568
not if they never find another one.
>>
>>51386590
I keep a fast-paced, high-pressure game that will actually stress the resources of full casters so the martials' "always available" stuff is a boon that the casters rely on to get them through things.

There's a short rest every 2-3 combats, generally, so battle masters, monks, etc. don't run on empty too often.
>>
>>51386474
There's nothing to gain by legalizing it except for allowing it in organized play.
>>
>>51386681
>giving a fuck about league play
>>
>>51386352
This was obvious to anyone who wasn't being a willful moron.

>>51386634
You lose features which are then immediately made up for by "you can totally still add half your speed" and "you get martial arts but without rolling lol."
>>
>>51386455
For example, he can find the Lost Chalice Of Kord or some shit. Maybe his old sword.

As for an ordeal, let's suppose Kord was a mortal once (I have no fucking idea if this is true) and was rumored to defeat a storm giant. Have the player defeat a storm giant, and then realize "holy shit I'm just like Kord!"
>>
>>51386699
It's almost like maybe you shouldn't try to tack on features that directly clash with base class abilities if you want an easily-understood new archetype.

Kensei was a mistake and I hope it's getting scrapped.
>>
>>51386695
I don't. I'm just saying there's no reason to care whether it's legalized or not if you don't do organized play. Ergo, you would have no reason to care.
>>
>>51386732
Is a mistake when is done on purpose to trick people? because kensai is a nice example of trap option
>>
>>51386772
trap options can go back to Pathfinder where they belong
>>
>>51386736
>I'm just saying there's no reason to care whether it's legalized or not if you don't do organized play.
This. The only thing it would do is make shitlord DM's that cry "muh official rules" ban it because "hur dur it's OP" without even looking at it, because in actuality they are just too fucking lazy to spend the 5 minutes it would take to read the class.
>>
>>51386397
BLESS BLESS AND ALWAYS BLESS
That's +1d4 on you and your two melee buddies attack rolls, it's an absolute literal fucking godsend at lower levels. It also adds to saving throws which is fantastic until you get your level 6 aura up, and still pretty great afterwards.

That's your support role completed, now go smite things in the face you pussy.
>>
>>51386397
> Paladin
> Not built for offense
I'm so confused.
>>
>>51386793
Different guy but concentration spells always seem to fail on my paladins
>>
So what would you consider to be the best choices for a level one paladin spell wise? Assume you can choose 4.
>>
>>51386838
Get to level 6. Or be a human with War Caster. Or include yourself as a Bless target so you're adding the d4 to your concentration checks.
>>
>>51386865

And is there any good way to get charisma added on to your melee damage? At any level, multiclass allowed if necessary.
>>
>>51386877
we never passed from 5th level
no feat games
I already do
>>
>>51386895
The Lifedrinker evocation, requiring Warlock level 12
>Is there any good way
No.
>>
>>51386634
Does it occur to you you're maybe trying to shoehorn a fighter archetype into the monk class for no particular reason?
>>
>>51386940

Damn.
>>
File: 1328546908889.gif (135KB, 400x335px) Image search: [Google]
1328546908889.gif
135KB, 400x335px
>>51386904
>no feat games
>>
Hey does anyone have maps of dungeons? Like not randomly generated like ones that are already there? Like Caves of chaos or something along the lines of that? I just need dungeons for people to crawl through.
>>
>>51386988

You have the luxury of getting feats? You aren't scrabbling desperately for ability score increases? You roll for stats with a real forgiving method or something?
>>
Hey /tg I need your help. I haven't played D&D since 2.5. I played a couple of other games meanwhile but not D&D. Now a friend asked for me to join a new game. I am hesitating between Warlock (for the Chutlhu entity), Psychic and Wild Sorcerer. I have solid background ideas for the three of them. I think the group will be neutral or neutral/evil (mercenary type). Can anybody give feedback about those class in terms of interaction, power level, fun, etc. ? Thank you.
>>
>>51387037

You can find some on pintrest easy.
>>
>>51387038
Heaven forbid paladins have a weakness at low levels, actually giving you a reason to stay in the class beyond level 5.
>>
>>51387059

Did you miss click or something? I don't understand how what you said is a follow up to my post. It's a bit of a non sequitur for me. I'm saying I play point buy, which means I don't get to start with the daft high stats you get with rolling, so I can't really afford feats, I need to spend points on ability score increases. Or maybe I'm just doing everything wrong.
>>
>>51386352
Link?
>>
>>51387097
I'm saying get to that charisma-to-saves aura and it stops being a problem. Many class problems disappear when you play classes beyond training wheels levels.
>>
>>51387127
sageadvice and Crawford twitter
>>
>>51386772
I don't think trap options are made terrible on purpose, friendo.
>>
File: 1431144173790.jpg (77KB, 684x722px) Image search: [Google]
1431144173790.jpg
77KB, 684x722px
>been trying to think of a name for my setting, right now just has the codename of Rebirth until I can think of something better
>Think at work, "Hey, Corvaire sounds good, but it sounds familiar, I'll check when I get home"
>check some spelling variations
>Khorvaire is the fucking main continent of Eberron
>and I hate Eberron

oh fuck me
>>
>>51387199
Good to know I'm not the only person who hates everything about Eberron.
>>
>>51387170
Do you mean http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/24/ua-monk-so-when-you-hold-your-kensai-weapon-you-cant-use-the-unarmed-strikes/

>Doing the work for a shitposter.
>>
>>51387199
Have you tried looking at animal species names or words in foreign languages and then corrupting the spelling? That's how I name like half the stuff in my campaign.
>>
File: 1420605422191.jpg (142KB, 1249x684px) Image search: [Google]
1420605422191.jpg
142KB, 1249x684px
>>51386904
>No feat games
I hate your DM
>>
File: 1286276965045.jpg (350KB, 624x895px) Image search: [Google]
1286276965045.jpg
350KB, 624x895px
>>51387097
>I don't understand how what you said is a follow up to my post. It's a bit of a non sequitur for me.

I could say that about responding to a reaction post of mine about games where feats aren't allowed with a post implying that I should merely be too busy picking up ASIs to get feats.
>>
>>51386097
I play a level 10 Forge Cleric in one-shot game and it work out better than expect.

AC = 23 (Fullplate + shield + blessing of the forge + soul of the forge + cloak of protection)

Magic Initiate Druid for Shillelagh and Absorb Element. Become pure WIS.
>>
>>51387199
>>51387231

Samefag
>>
>>51387581
Was Magic Initiate really worth it over an ability score increase?

>>51387588
Yeah, nah. Really wasn't mate.
>>
>>51387581

Can you really say you're pure Wis if you're packing 15 Str for that full plate?
>>
>>51387602
I was playing a Variant human, so it was not a competition. You still get 20 WIS by level 8.

>>51387633
I did have 15 STR, but you could always dump STR and get a mount instead.
>>
If a dragon has a human form, does it need to eat enough for a human or does it need to eat enough for a dragon?
>>
>>51387633
Dwarves.
>>
File: 1480271693025.png (621KB, 711x613px) Image search: [Google]
1480271693025.png
621KB, 711x613px
>>51386904
>>51386988
>>51387450
this is why I been playing with the idea of everyone having a feat at level 1 like how 3rd edition did it, of course humans or at least the variant would have to get changed, because that single feat, that single feat opens up so much customization.

I think we actually touched on this before in a discussion some time back. This was the idea one anon had for humans if everyone got a level 1 feat.
>>
>>51387681
yes
>>
>>51387703
>Just straight up better racial ASI than Half-Elf
Absolutely Disgusting.
>>
>>51387703
I'd make it +2 to one and +1 to another. Other then that I like how simple it is.
>>
What do Awaken Mystic do in combat? I might try to play one in next week level 6 oneshot.
>>
File: huh.jpg (17KB, 200x309px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
17KB, 200x309px
>>51387706

haha
seriously though
>>
>>51387888
Probably only needs a human amount of food. Trying to eat an entire cow while polymorphed into a human sounds pretty unfeasible.
>>
>>51387912

Alright, gotcha.
>>
>>51387681
It eats enough food for a human, but its digestive system is massively improved and actually converts matter directly into energy, which provides all the resources needed for a full-sized dragon. Consequently, dragons in human form don't poop, but they do have to discharge large amounts of waste heat when no one's looking (in the form of IR radiation, not fire breath, silly).

source: aarakocra dragonologist
>>
>>51387976

> It eats enough food for a human
> its digestive system is massively improved and actually converts matter directly into energy, which provides all the resources needed for a full-sized dragon
> discharge large amounts of waste heat
> 5000 years in the future, dragonkind has been enslaved as ultra-efficient alternative energy sources
>>
File: azer.jpg (46KB, 341x306px) Image search: [Google]
azer.jpg
46KB, 341x306px
What's a good reason for a mining town's shipments to be light lately, for a party of level 5's to solve?

I'm brainstorming and some outside input would be helpful.

The ideas that I've come up with so far are:

Azer have appeared in the mine from a tear to the Plane of Fire deep in the earth, and have taken the more rich veins of ore for themselves.

Duegar. Maybe being led by a Gauth posing as a true Beholder?

Veins near the surface have been depleted, so deeper ones are being used, which is encroaching on Drow territory.

Any other ideas for what the problem could be?
I'm open to non-combat related ones too, that could be solved by diplomacy and roleplaying.
>>
File: dwarftax.jpg (130KB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
dwarftax.jpg
130KB, 600x780px
>>51388015
>5000 years in the future
>he thinks we haven't started already
>>
>>51388068
Play Baldur's Gate, that might give you an idea.
>>
>>51388068

> It's hard to find high quality ore as for some reason, it's all being corroded by something. The miners, in their superstition, variably think that its some sort of weather problem, or some problem with the moisture or even that the mine is unhappy with them. Regardless, something, some presence inside the mine is causing its metallic resources to deteriorate.

You get to decide what the something is.
>>
I think my DM is having us play a pre-written adventure, but I'm not sure which one and he didn't say. Are there any pre-written adventures that involve shadows being a main enemy, a forest being corrupted, and dead bodies fading/losing their color?
>>
>>51388178
It's not Curse of Strahd, it's not Storm King's Thunder and not Lost Mines of Phandelver.
>>
>>51388178
Why do you ask? Planning to cheat by looking ahead?
>>
>>51388178

Maybe, but more importantly why do you want to know? Planning on sneaking a peek at the notes?
>>
>>51387703
I'd use adaptability on initiative rolls constantly.
>>
File: commonbirds.png (22KB, 410x256px) Image search: [Google]
commonbirds.png
22KB, 410x256px
>>51388068
A powerful wizard hijacked the shipment for raw materials to use with Fabricate, but he has a noble purpose. The party may be able to solve the problem by other means, though.

The sideshow xorn of a travelling circus got loose and ate it all. Metals and valuable gemstones can be recovered if it's tracked and slain quickly--but the circus would rather have their "performer" back.

The miners stopped working after being charmed by a fey princess who now holds court in the mines. She can be tricked into ceding her dominion, perhaps with the help of another fey who views her as a rival.

An experimental teleportation spell intended for ore extraction swapped most of the mines with a portion of a distant dwarven city. The casters responsible believe they can reverse the spell, but they need someone to deliver a runic markerstone to the mines that are now stuck in the middle of said dwarven city.

A noble scion of a long-vanished house is attempting to claim an ancient title to the land the mine sits on, and has hired mercenaries to evict the miners. They could be slain, bought off (the "noble" is primarily promising them future rewards, he has no wealth or land beyond what he is currently trying to take), or the noble could be defeated in a court of law... or upheld, even.
>>
>>51388212
>>51388213
Yeah, thought it'd be fun.
>>
>>51388104
I've played Baldurs Gate, but so have all my players, so doing something like that risks them saying 'Wait a minute this is just the Baldurs Gate Iron Crisis'.

There are routes I could go down with stuff I've already set up, so something like that is an option.

>>51388316
I really like the Xorn idea. Xorn are intelligent and bargain for treasure, but maybe it was mistreated and kept perpetually starving by the circus. So the party will have to decide between either a) Just killing it to get the shit back b) Capturing it and returning it to its abusive but secure home (with a sizable reward from the ringleader) or c) Allowing it to go free in exchange for not bothering the miners any more.

I think I'll go with that. Thanks my dude.
>>
>>51388457
The Xorn could act like a small child. If it sits down and gets sad when people are angry at it but refuses to give up easy, makes it harder to deal with.
>>
>>51388476
Yeah, I like that. Make the obvious moral choice tougher to do. Neat idea
>>
>>51388501
I had the exact same situation in my game but the Xorn was the princesses pet. It was a nice lighthearted game.
>>
>>51386962
It occurs to me that I've tried to make a samurai class that *feels* like a samurai many times with a fighter and whenever I did I added tons and tons of baggage that made the class not work properly with the fundamentals of 5e.

Did you honestly think Monk was my first choice of class when making this?
>>
>>51388532
See I don't really get the whole Samurai thing. How's it different to any other fighter?
>>
File: abomination sexy.png (2MB, 1500x1600px) Image search: [Google]
abomination sexy.png
2MB, 1500x1600px
Yuan-ti are descended from debased human cultists who worshipped snake gods. It is perfectly reasonable for their females, even the abominations, to have tits.
>>
>>51388546
I think you have to watch a lot of anime or something to think samuraris aren't just fighters.
>>
>>51388559
Just fuck the snake Anon.
>>
>>51388560
THEY FOLLOW A CODE OF HONOUR AND RESPECT ANON.

THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE YOUR TRADITIONAL AMERICAN BRUTES.
>>
>>51388560
Can't people do weeaboo fightan magic with an Eldritch Knight? If it's not a magic thing I can't see any reason a battlemaster or champion can't be a Samurai.
>>
>>51388574
You never go cloaca to cloaca.
>>
>>51386699
You are not getting martial arts. You get to add a Martial Arts die to an attack, flat, no modifier at all. This feature can be used with or without the armor so both playstyles benefit from it.

I'm starting to question your comprehension.
>>
>>51388360

In the moment you read it, sure. But in the end, you'd not only be ruining your fun, but the meta-knowledge you would possess would threaten to ruin everyone else's fun too.

So my advice is, don't do it.
>>
>>51388605
if you have to mangle the base class to make your idea work, you should re-think tacking it onto that class
>>
>>51388559
Why is this board trying to turn me furry? And why is it succeeding?
>>
>>51388581
All the examples of samurai stereotypes I can think of are covered by action surge and indomitable already, honestly. Battle Master or Champion are just fine unless you're just some fag who can't accept that every nationalities' historic fighters don't need a subclass.
>>
>>51388641
There's no fur on that thing. You should take a break from fapping.
>>
>>51388546
Fighter lacks the focus on agility and finesse that I find Monk has.

Monks at their very core have a flavour based on meditation and calmness which is great for the

Features like slow fall which serves well as an "ukemi" for example.

Monks are fast and agile, the kind of thing I associate with pop culture the likes of Vagabond and Nioh.

The UA samurai tried to have a focus on wisdom which Monks inherently have.

These are only 3 reasons I turned towards the monk over the fighter to make a samurai homebrew. I'm not against the idea that fighters make good samurais, they just don't make the kind I like.
>>
>>51388745
for the player looking to be like a ronin philosopher.*
>>
>>51388745
Alright I get that but couldn't you just slap some Medium armour on the monk and use a short sword?
>>
>>51388765
I slapped heavy armor, a shield, and a warhammer on a Monk and it works just great.
>>
>>51388745
>Fighter lacks the focus on agility and finesse that I find Monk has.

Dex fighters exist, but wtf does a samurai have to do with agility and finesse? They used two-handed swords and heavy armor.

Make a fighter with a skill ribbon at level 7.
>>
>>51388790
Samurai fired guns all day which is Dex-based.
>>
>>51388560
>>51388581
>Fighter
>>51388576
>Not Paladin
>>
What I'm gathering from samurai chat is that people's idea of a samurai is basically a fighter with maximum stats and still has ASIs left over for feats.
>>
>>51382592
I think an official release of the light warlock would be neat so I can play the Paladin of WAY TOO MUCH BRIGHT in more tables.
>>
>>51388808
My idea of a Samurai is a battlemaster withthe Far traveler background.
>>
>>51388790
It's a pop culture thing; if you want to roll fighter go ahead. But at the moment you're not adding much to the discussion.
>>
>>51388765
That's an incredibly unproductive and lazy answer.
>>
>>51383161
Gishes are my favorite and Paladin does it very well. It just feels perfect to me.
>>
>>51388745
>Slow Fall
Feather Fall
>fast and agile
Haste

2 of your 3 reasons are Eldritch Knight things.
>>
>>51388858
Well just remove Unarmored defence, add Medium (or Heavy) Armour and then let their abilities work with it.
>>
On the monk thing, I was dicking around with character concepts the other day and actually a Kensai (UA) with just a dash of Rogue seems reaaally fucking awesome. I might have to play one.
>>
>>51388576
>low-tier bureaucrat warrior caste
>thugs who abuse the merchant class
>who exploit the working class
>Honour and Respect
Gut yourself you weebed out limey.
>>
>>51388881
I assume he'd like to be "fast and agile" before level fucking 13, Anon, or be able to survive a fall from some height more than four times per long rest.

You're not that fucker who thinks EK is the bee's knees and pushes it on everyone when it's honestly a shit archetype for anything but being a tanky fuck with Shield and Absorb Elements, are you?
>>
>>51388576

>Fighters
>American

You do realize by the time our glorious burger land came into being we had moved beyond sword and board with armor to guns right? Fighters are literally everyone but America who have a martial history long enough to extend back before guns really became a thing.
>>
>>51388931
No, I'm not that guy. I just don't get all this shit with trying to force samurai onto monk when it has to clash so hard with monk features, and monks have fuck-all to do with samurai unless you're basing it on anime.
>>
>>51388950
Why are you embarrassing yourself by somehow thinking that ranged fighters aren't a thing, especially in the system where the best direct damage dealer is a ranged fighter
>>
>>51388961
>not basing it on anime
>>
>>51388961

Not that anin, but you're on an anime image board. Where do you think all the weebs who wanna play samurai get their conceptions from?
>>
I rolled 18,18,17,17,13,10 what should I make for a serious level 10 campaign that I don't want to overshadow.
>>
>>51388999
Nice trips. Go buy a lotto ticket m8
>>
When do creatures count as "engaging in combat"? Once the initiative start? Before their first round in combat?

For context, I'm trying to find the best time to use Mystic's Charming Presence power.
>>
>>51388999
It's your chance to play a monk or a paladin that actually can afford to take feats.

>>51388996
You can still do it more elegantly. Like make oath of the samurai a paladin oath. Give it an aura that increases speed, an oath spell list with stuff like feather fall, longstrider, haste, etc., and a channel divinity related to clearing your mind to brush off mind-affecting stuff ala the monk feature.
>>
>>51388999
>those trips
>those stats
>>
>>51388999
> don't want to overshadow
> roll for stats
Don't worry about it. Anyone who roll for stat already accept that risk.

but I bet all your friends "roll" multiple 18s and 17s too
>>
>>51388961
I did say I was influenced by the manga Vagabond but I don't where the equation to anime comes from, let alone why it's a bad thing.
>>
>>51388999
At 10th level you're expected to have your primary stat maxed or near there, so honestly anything. You'll be a bit hardier than most characters at that level but not that far ahead of most.
>>
>>51388990

Which is still a fighter with a bow more likely than not, which still isn't burgerland, seeing as they had muskets. There's quite a difference. History mother fucker, do you know it?
>>
>>51389037
do monks even take feats other than mobile?
>>
>>51389071
Defensive Duelist is nice for a monk. No reason not to use a short sword once martial arts goes to d8. Lucky and Alert are worthwhile.
>>
>>51389037
Spellcasting is not something I associate with Samurai, even in pop culture.
>>
>>51389088
Who gives a shit, if it lets you accomplish your end goal of moving fast, falling slow, having a resilient mind, conditionally hitting hard, etc.?
>>
>>51389061
There is literally nothing closer than a fighter with a crossbow. Are you autistic? Why are you in a 5e thread?
>>
>>51389037

Samurai paladin would actually be pretty sweet I gotta admit, but it sounds like you just don't think fighters are good enough to be samurai, and that kinda seems like bullshit. I mean I can understand being unhappy with the ua, but it feels like you're desperate to make samurai above "mere" fighters. Which is offensive and stupid in many ways.
>>
>>51389088
Plenty of people don't associate samurai with monk stuff either.

If you can accomplish the super heroic feats you want using some spells, why try to kludge in something else?

>>51389113
I think that one's just fine, but the thread has been overtaken by anime-samurai faggots who can't accept the fighter UA.
>>
>>51389088
> animu samurai
> not shouting their move name (vocal component)
> not doing ridiculous stance / movement (somatic component)
> not going "f...fast!" and "I'm behind you!"
> not attacking with multiple flyinh swords at once
>>
>>51389136
This nigga gets it. How the fuck do you base something on anime/manga and then object to using spells to accomplish super heroic stuff?
>>
>>51389136
>Samurai version of uncanny dodge
>Player must say "N-Nani?!" to take effect
>>
>>51389157
Because I didn't? The two things I cited as my influences were Nioh and Vagabond. Both of them have none of those things.
>>
>>51389136
Because I didn't? The two things I cited as my influences were Nioh and Vagabond. Both of them have none of those things.

>>51389165
Sorry for the (you) some fuckery happened
>>
>>51389112

>muh crossbow is totally the same as a musket guise
>they are both ranged weapons guise
>muh fighter with a crossbow is totally the same as musketman guise

Do you even hear yourself? Fuck and I thought American education was supposed to be bad, where the fuck are you from? Do you know anything about military history and the development of weapons technology? Sure they are both ranged weapons, but the tactics used for crossbows compared to muskets were completely different. There was never such a thing as pike and crossbow, or linear warfare with lines of crossbowmen. They had different capabilities, and were used at different times, for different purposes. Your arguement is essentially that since a pike and a spear are both pole weapons they are interchangeable, which is not true at all. Or that since a rapier and a long sword are both swords, then really it doesn't matter, same damn thing. It's retarded.
>>
>>51389222
Are you just caught up on flavor more than mechanics? Because you're building a mechanical mess to fit the flavor in your head, when there's a much easier path if you're willing to reflavor spellcasting as some sort of samurai discipline/mind-honing shit.
>>
>>51389252
Not significant enough to bother creating a new stat and balance the whole game around it, thus increasing DM workload and everyone mental tax. If you want a simulation for every little thing go back to 3.pf
>>
Look people can make whatever Weeaboo homebrew they want and it can make tear the mechanics apart at the seams.

He was posting it to see if anyone wanted to use it. Clearly not. That doesn't mean he can't enjoy it and there's really no reason to argue about this shit.
>>
>>51389252
Dude. You're sperging out super fucking hard.

Name. A. More. Fitting. Class. And. Character. Option. Present. In. Dungeons. And. Dragons. Fifth. Edition. More. Fitting. Than. Ranged. Fighter.
>>
>>51389222
What's wrong with giving limited spellcasting that works only in regards to weapons, and passing it off as samurai discipline / ki / whatever.

Like, is there anything wrong with a weeb as fuck samurai thing using Booming Blade? I don't think so.
>>
>>51389264
You acting as if I made some greatly complicated thing. I added an armor feature that you either use or not, everything else is pretty simple.
>>
>>51389320
I agree, there isn't. It's just not what I was looking for.
>>
>>51389310
>>51389317

I'm not saying there should be an equivalent. I'm not saying I want an equivalent. I don't. I want my dnd to be fucking dnd, I don't want muskets or guns. All I'm saying is that since the usa wasn't around when we still wore plate and swung large metal objects at each other calling fighters American was silly, and that a man with a crossbow is not the same as a man with a musket. Why is that so hard to understand?
>>
>>51389377
>fighters are guys that are good at killing
>I-IT DOESN'T COUNT, THEY AREN'T ARMED IN THIS EXACT WAY

Okay autismo
>>
>>51389377
But muskets and guns were around by the time people wore plate.
>>
>>51388745
What the fuck is up with your spacing? You have a space between each line and abruptly end sentences and continue them on another line capitalized like its a whole new sentence.

I think that pie is a very tasty food.

You can make pie using lots of different

Ingredients including apples, pumpkin, berries, or nuts.
>>
>>51386865
Level 1 Paladins don't get spells.

..I know what you meant

Bless is always touted as great.1st level smites are nifty. A lot of it is the versatility of being able to pick new spells each day, so some more situational spells like Protection from Good and Evil up their potential usefulness.

Honestly (and especially since you Have the freedom), I suggest trying out as many different spells as you wish day to day, findingt your own preferences for your playstyle.
>>51387047
Whether you mean 2nd edition or 3.5 edition changes a few things but..
In general, classes are very balanced in 5e, there are no "trap" options as there were back in the day, it's very difficult to make a character unable to meaningfully contribute.

Of the three, Warlock is fine, Psychic is not an official 5e class, and Wild Magic Sorcerer's main archetype ability requires your DM to work with you. I'd be willing to talk more about all of the rest of the things you asked about if you like but this is long enough an answer for now for me.

>>51388360
No. Also, never heard of it. Read after playing, if you're still so inclined.

>>51389071
It amuses me that once at maxed Dex and Wise, Dual Wielder is actually viable as a feat for +1 AC
>>
>>51389377
There are no dragon or monsters when we were wearing fullplate armor and killing each other with sword either.

I don't think D&D is the right game for you, brah.
>>
>>51389421
I seperated the reasons to make them easier to read, as it pertains to "Monks at their very core have a flavour based on meditation and calmness which is great for the" I added that reason in very quickly while I was distracted so I forgot to write the whole thing down. It was originally going to be "Monks at their very core have a flavour based on meditation and calmness which is great for the player looking to be like a ronin philosopher.".

I'm sorry if my post offended you in anyway.
>>
>>51389494
You broke up the middle of a sentence. How the fuck does that make anything easier for the reader? Who taught you how to write?
>>
>>51389534
I didn't break up sentences, I listed reasons.
>>
Im taking the Kobold Inventor from Volo's and making it into a Goblin Chef for a weird kitchen encounter for my players.

What are some good names for each of these "ingredients" or "foods"

I've got Black Dragon Vinegar, REALLY Hot Sauce. Slimey Stew, Rot Grub Grub, Scorpkabob, the Main Course, and Bagged "Honey", can't think of anything with the basket of centipedes.
>>
>>51389566
"Squirming Appetizer"
>>
Is there much point in staying as a bard past 6th level?
>>
>>51389417

Since you present the only reasonable counterpoint, allow me to explain something. Yes, there was a brief period when arquebus and muskets could be found on the same field as armored men with melee weapons. But the introduction of guns soon saw the end of heavy calvary (which was already on the way out cause of the pike, but guns sealed the deal), the end of the use of troops with sword and buckler (which used to be part of and complimentary too the pike square as seen with the Spanish terthio, but we're soon replaced by guns), and eventually made pike itself completely obsolete. Guns and more traditional forms of warfare cannot coexist. The development of guns renders older tech obsolete, and causes massive changes in tactics and military organization.
>>
What races have Dex and Wis? Looking at making some monks.
>>
>>51389678
Aaracockra is the only one, IIRC.
>>
Hey Anons, what are some hidden gem spells up to 6th level in the Druid list.

I'm using a Druid of the Land (Fuck me right?) and want to make sure I'm getting a decent bang for my buck.

Wall of sand has been a favourite so far, it doesn't stop foes from passing through but blocking line of sight is just as good for most effects.
>>
>>51389678
Aaracockra
Wood Elf
Ghostwise Halfling
Human
Kenku
Wildhunt Shifter
>>
>>51389678
Human obviously.
Half Elf for the same reason.
Aaracockra.
Wood Elf.
Ghostwise Halflings get +1Wis.
>>
>>51389643
Your spellcasting progression, perhaps? i.e. the main class feature of any full caster?
>>
>>51389747
Doesn't seem like you get a lot of more damage type spells though

got college of lore so I'm probably getting lightning bolt and animate dead
>>
>>51389774

You realize you can crib spells early from Paladins and Rangers, right?
>>
File: 1408674222892.gif (7KB, 130x142px) Image search: [Google]
1408674222892.gif
7KB, 130x142px
>>51388068
Mimics are replacing the goods and pretending to be empty containers while their enemies foolishly transport an army into their midst; Trojan Horse style.
>>
>>51389805
I can do what now
>>
Advice for getting mobile phones away from the table?
>>
>>51389854
provide resources, give people spell cards, character sheets, and rulebooks.
Unless people genuinely aren't interested in the session, if they don't have a reason to check their phones they won't.
>>
>>51389774
If Polymorph at level 7 and Animate Objects at level 9 aren't good enough for you, then no amount of multiclassing will fix things.
>>
>>51389909
not sure how animate objects is a very effective offensive spell

but I'm now considering getting fireball/lightning bolt at level 6, getting int up to 13 at level 8, then going wizard for necromancy and support type spells that don't require me to roll

This is my first time through 5e
>>
>>51389964
Animate Objects lets you animate 10 tiny objects that hit at +8 for 1d4+4, each.
>>
>>51389854
Keep the number of players down to 4. Otherwise players start to feel extra and find ways to entertain themselves until it's their turn again.
>>
>>51390009
Isn't it going to be tedious making 10 attack rolls every round?
>>
>>51390009
assuming all of them hit the average roll on that is only 25+40, more than likely only half are going to hit
>>
>>51390098
Every turn for 1 minute, taking only your concentration after the first turn. It can also block other creatures since it takes up space.

>>51390083
It sure is.
>>
>>51390083
tedious perhaps, but the area control that 10 opportunity attacks provides coupled with the potential dps (if they don't get wiped quickly) can be worth it.
>>
>>51390124
>>51390130
I think I'd rather just cast fireball or lightning bolt and deal more total damage to creatures in an area...Not to mention keeping the game going
>>
Bard who uses Hypnotism for his Perform and magical effects, yay or nay?

>College of Glamour
>Bardic Inspiration is you telling them they are good at whatever they need to do
>Choose mind effecting spells
>Mantle of Inspiration tells people they aren't as tired as they think they are or some such
>>
>>51389409
I'll thank you not to slander my good name, anon.
>>
>>51390139
>Keeping the game going
Just roll 10 dice, jeez.
>>
>>51389814
Lore bards can use their 6th level Magical Secrets to take spells unique to the Ranger or Paladin spell lists many levels before those classes would actually get access to the same spells themselves.
>>
What effects should licking a toad give to my players?

Im looking for both beneficial and detrimental effects.
>>
>>51390234
Aura of Vitality is the only one you grab at 6 that's really worth a damn, although i personally love Hunger of Hadar.
>>
>>51390234
>>51390259
Not seeing anything particularly great there

Rather just blow shit the fuck up
>>
>>51390256
Advantage on con checks and concentration saving throws, disadvantage on dex checks/saves.
They can sort of ignore getting hurt slightly, but lose coordination.
>>
>>51389136
Cross class into some magic shit
Get Mirror Image
Kage Bunshin your enemies
????
Profit
>>
>>51390278
Aura of Vitality is one of the best healing options in the game, and, once cast, lets you keep spreading it around.

Hunger of Hadar is just an interesting disable/nuke combo, its Darkness+ that even Daylight doesn't dispel
>>
>>51389806
>Mimics are replacing the GODS and pretending to be empty VESSELS while their WORSHIPERS foolishly PRAY an army into their PLANE; Trojan WAR style.
>>
>>51390283
Eh, im looking for weirder.

These toads are special goblin drug toads.
>>
>>51390304
>Hunger of Hadar
Where am I going to find a pickled octopus tentacle?

Aura of Vitality seems sweet, but I'd rather be killing things
>>
>>51390325

They grow mantis legs.

Can jump far, but can't take dash actions.
>>
>>51390326
Look pal, you're giving me a run for my money in regards to my name.

1.) Bards can use their instrument as a spellcasting focus, so you'll never even need pickled octopus tentacle.

2.) Even if you're actually using material components, you are assumed to have any of them you might need that don't have a GP value inside your component pouch.

3.) Why the fuck did you choose to play a bard if you wanted to be a blaster?
>>
>>51390325
Well why didn't you say so! I was assuming more typical "poisonous toads" that were just mild hallucinogens.

>Sunlight Sensitivity
>Advantage on Perception checks involving smell.
>The next spell you cast is cast as if you used 1 higher level spell slot.
>You can see into, but not interact with, the Ethereal Plane
>You can speak only in Slaad for the duration
>You gain a Climb speed equal to your speed.
>Water burns your skin, contact deals 2d8 acid damage per round, submersion deals 8d8 damage per round.
>When you reach 0 hitpoints you aren't unconscious, make death saving throws as normal.
>You are under the effects of Detect Thoughts for the duration.
>You can jump 3x further than normal for the duration.
>You secrete slime for the duration, advantage on escape checks, opponents have disadvantage when they try to grapple.
>When you take the Attack action, your range increases by 5 until the end of your turn.
>Your tongue grows three sizes that day.

Mix and match per toad or lick, roll for duration.
>>
File: tumblr_o1kmw6HQo31sbaahfo1_500.png (269KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1kmw6HQo31sbaahfo1_500.png
269KB, 500x750px
How does /5eg/ feel about the reluctant warlock? >a warlock that serves his patron against his will
>>
>>51390326
Cmon anon, use your head.
Aura of Vitality is great BECAUSE you can keep doing other things while healing. It takes one turn to start up, but from then, you just keep using a bonus action.
The material components are for flavor, or for having been taken prisoner, you don't worry about them normally as a pouch is assumed to contain them, and a focus replaces them.
>>
>>51390400
Didn't know about the first one, first time in 5e

as for the third one I just like bards, simple as that, a bard is what you make it, although 5e bards given their low AC seem more casting focused than ever

I might multi-class martial though, or not, but I can't see myself caring about any of the spells past level 6 aside from the highly useful necromancer ones
>>
>>51390428
Nigga, if you wanted to be a FIGHTY bard, you have one archetype for that in the main book and 2 more in the UA.

You chose the ONLY dedicated casty bard, the next closest is Glamour, but they are more support built and less casty.
>>
>>51390428
If you're going to multiclass into a martial class, I highly suggest spending that 6th level Magical Secret on Elemental Weapon.
>>
>>51390438
I got it I think, wonder if I can multi-class from bard into bard and get college of valor...System I played the most of was 4e and you got shields from the start there as a bard

>>51390427
See I can heal my party members, or if they something stupid and die, I get their stuff, I already got cure wounds/healing word, and healing potions for them, they get plenty of healing
>>
>>51390464
This should be incredibly obvious but no, you cannot multiclass from bard into a different bard college.
>>
>>51390480
Can you transfer?
Do you get your credits?
>>
>>51390410
One served as the base for the entire second half of my current campaign. So I'm alright with them.
>>
>>51390485
Step up your pun game, anon. That was weak.
>>
>>51390402
This is fantastic thank you
>>
File: Drider Queen Nude.jpg (43KB, 322x450px) Image search: [Google]
Drider Queen Nude.jpg
43KB, 322x450px
>>51383691
Elf King's wife ran off to become a Drider and rule the creepy crawly monsters of the forest. You gotta find her and convince her to come back to the king. Becoming a Drider has made her incredibly lustful towards the member of the party with the lowest charisma.
>>
>>51384022
At least at levels 1 to 4, chromatic orb might deal as much as double a regular guy's attack.

Beyondt hat, eh, I guess you just want to throw it on a GWM fighter or rogue or something.
>>
>>51387752

But without the minor fey benefits of sleep immunity/charm resistance and darkvision.
>>
>>51390603
>>51390603
>>51390603
>>
File: 1466262028727[1].jpg (114KB, 776x776px) Image search: [Google]
1466262028727[1].jpg
114KB, 776x776px
Alright, I finished fucking around with a new Warlock patron.
Spell list is a random clusterfuck, and the features pulled straight from my ass, but your salty ass feedback is appreciated.

>The Frog of Ruin, Kek
Kek is a unique otherworldly patron, worshiped mainly by young virgin men across many different planes of existence. Kek is a god of chaos and chance, and his acts often leave both destruction and confusion in their wake. Although most ordinary people do not believe that Kek exists, his devotees are almost fanatical in insisting that he is real. Followers of Kek believe in the appearance of frogs and repeating digits as symbols of Kek's divine will, encouraging them to perform acts which would otherwise seem improbable or even impossible. Some of those who truly believe in Kek have been granted great power, harnessing chaos and confusion to rain destruction upon the foes of Kek.

>Expanded Spell List
Kek lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you:
1st - Bane, Inflict Wounds
2nd - Magic Mouth, Rope Trick
3rd - Sending, Erupting Earth
4th - Vitriolic Sphere, Confusion
5th - Antilife Shell, Destructive Wave

>The Frog God
Starting at 1st level you become aware of Kek's amphibian thralls which inhabit the world. If you see a beast in the form of a frog or toad, roll a DC10 perception check. On a success, you have witnessed Kek's will, and gain an inspiration die if you do not already have one.

>Dubs Get
Starting at 1st level Kek blesses you with the power of dubs. When you have advantage or disadvantage on an attack and roll the same number on both dice, the attack automatically succeeds regardless of the numbers rolled.

1/2
>>
>>51390645
2/2

>BTFO
Starting at 6th level, when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with an attack you may re-roll the damage dice. If the second total is lower than the first by 5 or more, the creature has been BTFO and creatures within 10 feet take 3d6 radiant damage and must make a constitution saving throw. On a failure they are blinded until the start of your next turn. Once a creature has been BTFO, you may not use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

>OP's a Fag (or Freak)
Starting at the 10th level can identify which of your opponents struck first. The enemy creature which acts first in combat is designated as "OP." After you have taken your first turn you may select a single effect from the following list at any time during OP's turn:
* Resistance to damage caused by a single attack from OP.
* Advantage on a saving throw against OP.
* Move 15 feet away from OP. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks from OP.
* Make a melee or ranged weapon attack against OP. This does not use your reaction, but you cannot use this effect if you have already used your reaction this round.
Once you have chosen an effect you may not choose another until the beginning of OP's next turn.

>Shitpost
Starting at the 14th level you have finally lurked enough shitpost properly. As an action you may select up to a number of creatures equal to your charisma modifier within 60 feet, each of which must make a wisdom saving throw. Roll 1d6, adding 1d6 for each creature that failed their save. Distribute the total as psychic damage among creatures that failed their save, but at least 1 point of damage must be given to each creature. If no creatures failed their saving throw then 1d6 psychic damage is dealt to you instead. Any creature that takes damage from this ability cannot use a reaction until the start of their next turn. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
>>
>>51389643
Level 10 magical secret. Like... swift quiver.
>>
>>51390645
>>51390658
Its beautiful
>>
>>51390410
Back in Complete Arcane, while the warlock's source of arcane power came from some kind of patron, the class itself didn't touch on the particulars of your pact or patron. It was suggested that some warlocks were simply descendants of those who made deals with fiends or fey, and even a rare few are simply marked by supernatural beings. Therefore, many warlocks might not have made any pact at all. You can imagine how reluctant they might be to serve the entity that grants them power that they didn't even ask for.
>>
What things go in an alchemist's tower? I'm thinking (s)he is in his office up top, and they have some sort of animated objects as guards
>>
>>51391388
You could fill it with ridiculous traps and passageways, with minor magical items littered about to help them through. Give the items a single use before they turn into mundane objects or something if you don't want your players to get them all. Going off the UA for artificer, we could assume the alchemist could have

>A big, steady waterfall to travel up, with rings of swimming at the base
>A lantern of revealing to find an invisible door leading up
>A short jaunt through a room which is another plane full of floating islands, with boots of striding and springing, or just a broom of flying
>A plane of water with a folding boat to travel across (have some giant octopi/kraken type monster attacking)
>A bag of beans, which either summons friendly treants which defend against a monster, or a giant beanstalk to travel over a dangerous area
>rings of mind shielding to help travel through a room that would otherwise cast confusion on you
>hat of disguise to impersonate the alchemist for a retina scanner or something like that

and of course, yes, have various animated objects. The sword/broom/armor from the MM are a good start, and shield golems are always fun.
>>
>>51390402
>his dong grew three sizes that day
noice

>>51390410
it's just like being a wagie

>>51390485
Ask your DM. He might let you change it.

>>51390645
I w-was joking about the warlock of kek
nice job
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.