/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get started with 40k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: dwarf_fortress.jpg (424KB, 1760x906px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf_fortress.jpg
424KB, 1760x906px
How? I love the concept of tabletop wargames, but how do i start?
>>
>40k
Start by picking a wargame that isn't complete shit.
>>
>>51372611
This is from 5th edition (we're currently in 7th) but most of his advice is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PXaEUwAZSc
>>
>>51372641

This. The ruleset is a bloated, horribly balanced mess, the models are expensive (I don't know what the competition is like, admittedly), and the setting has some big doin's going down soon. Given that everyone who writes for GW is a hack, that means the setting is probably going to get a lot worse in the near future.
>>
>>51372611
40k is a Hobby with a capital H, its really expensive and will demand a whole lot of your time and money

if the wizard is undettered, then you might want to buy a Start Collecting! box
>>
>>51372611
>>51372653
Also see this playlist for how to actually play the game:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOssG-Z3S9TCl2llche1KVVDBsGx0pHhC

Here's a channel filled with videos of the game being played (also called battle reports) so you can see the game in action:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2mQ7x6K74NBfmxBoMwZCnw

Here's the official Warhammer YouTube channel, which has some great painting tips and tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT

I would hold off on getting a core rulebook, as 8th edition is supposed to come out some time this year, which will supposedly streamline the game substantially. As they currently stand, the rules are complex, but far from the unplayable mess that fa/tg/uys make it out to be (and, as I said earlier, that's changing later this year).
>>
>>51372641
>>51372697

Poorfags leave.

OP go with a army that you like the look of and buy a box set. Just get one because you might find you hate putting models together and painting.
>>
>>51372611
You can also find an army list creator and links to all the books you need over on the 40k General >>51366855
>>
>>51372728
>you don't want to spend tons of money on shit product?
>lol what a poorfag

I have an imperial guard army on the shelf so I have the right to say that 40k is a trash game and there is no point in start collecting since there are so many better options. And wargaming is not a status symbol, you dumb cuck.
>>
>>51372611
Go to a brick and mortar store first and foremost and hear what they have to say but don't leave there with anything more than a box of infantry for the army you like the most lore and astetics. If you put the models together and still like it go for a start collecting box and armored assault box and the codex next. I say go chaos matines
>>
>>51372759
You hate it so much yet can't help to tell everyone in every 40k thread ever how much you hate it
>>
>>51372611
By playing any other wargame instead. Thank me later.
>>
>>51372611
Pick a faction you like the models from
>>51372719
> As they currently stand, the rules are complex, but far from the unplayable mess that fa/tg/uys make it out to be.

The basic rules are not that complex, start slow and get the basics right. Hardly anyone knows all the extra stuff anyway.
Another thing to add is that other wargames are not really better. There is similar unbalanced mess.
>>
Dont play for the rules. Play for the fluff and models. You'll spend the majority of your time painting and modelling
>>
>>51372611
Buy some decent flush cutters (I like Xuron), plastic/super glue, some cheap detail brushes from walmart, and an xacto knife.

Consider what you want to play, buy a small kit, and see what colors you'll need. Then start watching plenty of tutorials for painting them up and get to work.

Oh, and buy a softcover rulebook off of ebay.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.