[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ approved literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 7

File: 1383747662935.jpg (409KB, 1146x582px) Image search: [Google]
1383747662935.jpg
409KB, 1146x582px
/tg/ I'm going on a business trip and am looking forward to a couple really long flights. What are some recommended /tg/-related novels that I can pick up to pass the time? Any genre goes, though fantasy is much preferred, as other than popular authors like Martin and Tolkien I haven't dabbled too much in it.

In exchange, have a couple of cool landscapes.
>>
File: 1401381287508.jpg (472KB, 1000x496px) Image search: [Google]
1401381287508.jpg
472KB, 1000x496px
>>
File: 1356762745106.jpg (519KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1356762745106.jpg
519KB, 1600x900px
>>
File: 1356765198724.jpg (778KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1356765198724.jpg
778KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: crystal_cave_by_firedudewraith.jpg (529KB, 833x900px) Image search: [Google]
crystal_cave_by_firedudewraith.jpg
529KB, 833x900px
>>
File: 1389621911597.jpg (945KB, 2560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1389621911597.jpg
945KB, 2560x2048px
>>
>>51371054
The best, well-written, quick-read for fantasy is Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber. Good writing, concise, easy to pick up and put down. Only the first 5 are any good. Guy wakes up with amnesia and goes on an inter dimensional romp through renaissance-ish worlds to reclaim his throne. My favorite fantasy series ever.

The Black Company series by Glenn Cook is just as good, but but a bit grimderp. Company of mercenaries slog through a world where everything is more powerful than them, with up-to 300 characters occasionally getting cut down to the only two who are alive, at the moment. Nine books.

My favorite fantasy author is Charles DeLint. Modern fantasy in his own fictional city. Lots of short stories and longer novels where the characters tie in, but each is self-contained. So pick up and read at any point, then move on to something else and learn about a minor character in your last novel who is the hero of this one. It's a bit more feel-good than the Amber series. Fantastical things happen to either normal people whose lives are touched by magic, or magical people trying to live normal lives. Dozens of books.

If you want straight-up high-fantasy, it's hard to find something better than Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight novels. Two books, ultra-high fantasy that is written extraordinarily well. Child from Earth daydreams himself into a barbarian hero.

And if you'd like something that is just a depressing-ass slog that is extremely well-written, Robin Hobb's Soldier Son series will make you want to kill yourself, unable to keep reading and thinking "well good things will start to happen to him soon." They never, ever happen to him. Kid gets fat and learns magic and everyone in the world hates him.
>>
>>51371054

Sure anon, I would go for...

Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materiels, beautifully written strange alt-fantasy that involves all kinds of cool ideas. Including armoured bears.

Terry Pratchett - Guards Guards, Men at arms etc. Very readable and all are effectively detective novels in fantasy land. The disk world as a concept really matured under the Vimes series of books from 'everything is a joke' to more naunced reflection on our world.

It's more Science fantasy than fantasy and it's also a comic but pick up Brandon Graham's Prophet. It's a strange conanesque future world and well worth the read.

A recommendation from my brother, Kazuo Ishiguro - The Buried Giant, set in the world of King Arthur in the wake of he after effects of a terrible curse to end the constant wars.

Finally Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell which is 1000 pages but I think some of the best fantasy written in a long long time.
>>
File: IMG_0928.jpg (281KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0928.jpg
281KB, 309x475px
>>51371054
Mandatory
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.