[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powered by Apocalypse thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 14

File: pbtaShot.jpg (24KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
pbtaShot.jpg
24KB, 350x350px
I'm colecting PbA Books and here's my little trove.
https://mega.nz/#fm/sx0WHRJQ

If you have anything you dont se here, post it and i'l upload. I hope to create PbA mega-trove. Curently looking for Epyllion and MASKS extra playbooks.

Whats your favorite PbA game? Why?
>>
Does anyone have any opions on this?
I've never played a PbA game and want to know any good tips or people opinion on this hack.
>>
I like Apocalypse World but all the hacks suck ass. Fucking disgusting that Dungeon World makes more money than AW just because plebs only want muh generic fantasy from D&D.
>>
>>51365842
But dungeon world is fun
>>
>>51366121
So is Pathfinder. Both are still poorly designed.
>>
>>51365603
i think that hack will work considering the amount of money that wen't to it's team who are dedicated af. most of the "indie rpg pls buy" ones are trash. The main reason people shy away from the original are the sex rules. In my experience it's because you mostly have dudes at the table who won't play gay, will play gay for buffs which makes it a joke or creep on any women at the table.

best hacks Ive read are
Urban Shadows- Wod setting
City of Judas - weird crusades setting
>>
Welp, this thread's off to a butthurt start.
>>
>>51365276

Can't see the folder. You have to post the link with the encryption key attached -- select the root folder, right click, and choose "get link."
>>
>>51365842

The DW haters try too hard.
For a game that actually has only problems with the bonds, the HP are fine.

Anyway the greatest hack of AW is still Monsterhearts to me.

Does anybody have Epyllion?
>>
>>51365276
I like Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. A more optimistic kind of post-apocalypse.
>>
>>51366928
What makes you think their dedicated?
They have flashy graphics and a good layout group but they dropped Mental Balance so they can't be that big of fans.
>>
>>51367017
Monsterhearts lets you and your friends create stories about sexy monsters, teenage angst, personal horror, and secret love triangles. When you play, you explore the terror and confusion that comes both with growing up and feeling like a monster.

Based on the Apocalypse World engine, this is a game with emergent story, messy relationships, a structured MC role, and a focus on hard choices.Monsterhearts draws on source material like Twilight, True Blood, Ginger Snaps, Jennifer’s Body, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Misfits, The Vampire Diaries, An American Werewolf in London, Cursed, and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
>>
>>51365276
>>51366969
Proper Link
https://mega.nz/#F!I8kmXIrT!0RHH1dxKRRKkVd9_6mEhqw
>>
File: 1365372775891.jpg (48KB, 340x445px) Image search: [Google]
1365372775891.jpg
48KB, 340x445px
One changed I've been mulling over is making each type of gun its own move with unique effects, or adding a unique effect to the move depending on what kind of gun you have. Something like this:

>Sniper Rifle: Perfect shot, kill them
>Grenade Launcher: Destroy everything in the room
>Assault Rifle: Fire twice
>Shotgun: Knock them away
>Hand Cannon: Punch a hole clean through

Basically, I want to make the different kinds of guns a player might use feel more different.
>>
>>51367898
So basicly equipment as moves. Sounds like a good idea, could be used broader than just with guns
>>
>>51367494
This does seem interesting. Does anyone have an opinions on it?
>>
>>51368130
I've never played but read the playbook.
Seems extremely fun with correct people, who can distance themselves from characters they play, and have fun with "Young adult horror romance" genre. I suspect large amounts of cancer with classic murderhobo players.
>>
I'd love to play an Apocalypse World 2e game if anyone is running.

I'll do naughty things.
>>
>>51365276
Here, this hasn't gotten past the beta stage but you can see where it turned into the 2nd edition of apocalypse world. I like it and a few other things I can post a while lot better than DW.

which I think fucked up and got too involved with combat moves
>>
>>51368285
>>
>>51368285
Uploaded to Trove
Keep it Comin
>>
>>51368360
Its 5 parts, there's some cross over. Its not very well organized, but you can figure out how to play it if you've done AW before.
>>
>>51368408
>>
>>51368437
>>
I like this one too. Used it for a short Mordheim game that I wish went longer.
>>
Here's one for shooting bugs. I don't like it as much as 3:16 Carnage but its not bad.

>>51365603
I want to like this because I loved Kult despite the rules. I'll give it a read and have opinions, but can't really say until I've played it.
>>
>>51367017
Actually it's problem is a complete failure to understand the PbtA system.

The separation of Volley and Hack'n'Slash are evidence of this.

Not to mention that PbtA is a shit engine for heroic fantasy.

Dungeon World is basically d20 Modern. A game trying to work in the wrong genre.
>>
>>51369060
>The separation of Volley and Hack'n'Slash are evidence of this.

They're evidence that ranged and melee combat are thematically different in the genre it's emulating.

>Not to mention that PbtA is a shit engine for heroic fantasy.

The PbtA engine can support any genre that needs escalating tensions. It's a shit engine for slice of life Golden Sky Stories stuff, it's perfectly fine for deadly dungeon crawling fantasy.

The other guy's right, you guys try way too hard.
>>
Does anybody have or know much about Cartel by Magpie Games?

It's a PbtA game about drug dealing. I thought it sounded really cool, but I know very little about it.
>>
>>51369263
I like the rule for getting shot. There isn't a harm clock. You just roll. If you fail, you're fucking dead.
>>
>>51369294
Ha, ha! That's brutal. I like it.
>>
>>51365603
I have opinions now.

It has saves ported directly from 3.5 dnd as additional stats. Bad sign.

It uses 2d10 but maintaing +3 to -3 range and but has a much different probability curve. It makes complete success more likely than partial success which seem counter productive to snowballing and using moves to further gameplay.

The basic moves have a lot more options than I'm use to, or would advise giving. That being said Keep It Together and the Stability chart are interesting variations on a countdown clock, but I wish it were thematically integrated and the GM had soft moves that became hard moves as the character lost stability.

See Through The Illusion seems lacking given how much clutter they've put into the other moves. Its got less options and not much flavour or evocative language for the move that the game should basically pivot on.

Dramatic Hooks might be cool. Works with hooks as the old cover art. I like the term 'should'.

Weapons with tags that have more defined rules is meh. Seems odd in a game where you're searching for the meaning behind reality to have more rules about how many rounds a revolver uses than seeing through godlike mental forces' desires imposed in the wake of the demiurge's mysterious absence. It was a problem in the old rules too tho.

I like archetypes, particularly disadvantages as moves. It highlights moves/triggers as things that happen when you act rather than things you're trying to act out. Wish they were more specific to the archetype but its an alpha.

The Agenda and Principals are sparse/undeveloped but its an alpha. The description and advice for playing a horror game seem good, although counter intuitive to having a lot of combat options.

Influences/higher powers as threats is interesting, and I'd like to see examples of that and a developed diagram/chart.

I like how unique moves for monsters are clear to use.

Not sure. Odd choices that seem pointless, but a few cool ideas?
>>
>>51365276
>If you have anything you dont se here, post it and i'l upload

I'm uploading my whole Apocalypse Engine folder for you, it has quite a lot of stuff that's not up in your mega. (I may have more yet to be filed, in my incoming directory, but that'll have to wait for some other time.)
This upload probably won't be done for a couple of hours, but I'm going to bed here, so I'm just gonna post the link now. That way if the thread dies in the night, you can still get it.

https://mega.nz/#F!tUFWyDIB!gILxs4Z06bLSx8-iF5Wxow
>>
>>51368130
I'm currently in progress with a long Monsterhearts campaign. It's my favourite rpg and my players all really enjoy it (one of them backed the kickstarter for 2nd edition).
>>
>>51367856
since I don't see it there, have a city of mists

it's still in development so this isn't the final rules but it's playable, although I've not had the chance
>>
>>51367856
Thank you
>>
>>51365276
Requesting decent alternate AW playbooks
>>
>>51373256
Just to be sure. Have you seen all 2nd edition playbooks, including the extended playbooks.
There is huge amount of stuff in those. Hard to assume that there are significant number of good alternatives.
>>
>>51372830
What would be a good pitch for Monsterhearts?
"Let's play a game that's mix of Twilight, Buffy and World of Darkness", might not be the most selling one.
>>
>>51377009

"Let's play a time about when we alll discovered humanity was monstrous"
>>
>>51372466

Cool.

Some games I never saw:

Cartel (as other anons said)
Epyllion
Mobile Frame Zero (actually, i fucking played it, but have no pdf. I'm still perplexed that Vince says it's a PBTA but anyway(
No Country for Old Kobolds
>>
>>51377909
We just got over 2016, maybe let's wait a while until we bring it back as material for a game.
>>
File: City Thief.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
City Thief.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51372466

Two of the Dungeon World classes failed to upload, with Mega complaining the file is "locked" for some reason I can't discern, so I'll just post 'em here.
This one's based on Thief: the Dark Project, and goes with the "city thief new items" pdf.
>>
File: Namer_Playbook.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Namer_Playbook.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51378138

And the Namer playbook, which has some Earthsea stuff going on
>>
>>51378058

But adolescence is universally horrendous anon.

Actually this got me thinking, did anyone try a Monsterhearts campaign in other eras? I toyed with the idea of a 1789 France one, not sure if you could go further back considering that MH heavily relies on having diverse genders of PCs
>>
>>51378333
I did Monsterhearts in a generic pseudo-post-Soviet state, with the players as governmental ministers under the insane meglomaniac Father of the Nation. Went really well, was a one-shot but we dipped back into it a couple of times when the regular game didn't work out or we needed a break.
>>
I've not yet read all of it, but from what I've glanced, Monsterheart's strings seem to be pretty strong mechanic.

I've been vaguelly thinking about maybe making my own AW hack of Gundam inspired mecha action, but I want game have meaningful stuff outside of big robots punching and shooting each other's too.
I guess that strong Hx mechanic is just the thing to add some character drama in the game.
>>
>>51378575

Check out Mobile Framebrands Zero.

Which basically could work without mechas, so it's not what you have in mind. But still.
>>
>>51378575
Eva-like game would probably work out well with Monsterhearts.
>>
>>51378951

Don't remind me of my Infernal anon.

I really felt like Shinji in that one. And all that for fucking a girl, jesus.
>>
>>51378951
Well, like I said my idea is more Gundam than Eva.
Not that it's much more than vague idea at this point. I barely have anything beyond my initial idea that was:
"If I were to make PbtA mech game, I'd have separate playbooks for characters and mechs, to emphasis different kinds of mech stereotypes, without typecasting them to specific character archetypes."

Not sure if I ever get anything real out of it, but I feel that if I would just get working on it, I could get something that could carry an short campaign at least. And that would be fine with me.
>>
>>51379240

I toyed with the idea too, oddly enough thinking about a double character/mecha sheet as well.
>>
>>51369995
Thanks immensely for your take on things. It has been very insightful.
>>
>>51369140
>They're evidence that ranged and melee combat are thematically different in the genre it's emulating.

And volley is objectively better. It's not thematic diversity, it's bad balance by people who don't know how to design games. There was a reason AW only needed one move despite fighting and shooting being "thematically different" you dumb cock sucker.
>>
File: I see what you did there.jpg (73KB, 650x466px) Image search: [Google]
I see what you did there.jpg
73KB, 650x466px
>>51383512
>volley is objectively better
>objectively better
>you dumb cock sucker

Oh boy, you're one of those guys, huh?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.