[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best clan in Vampire: The Masquerade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 13

File: images.jpg (6KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 192x262px
I'd go between Lasombra and Tremere

What do you guys say?
>>
>>51363688

Pretty much agree. Let's have ventrue, nosferatu, toreador, and old clan tzimisce on the next tier down.

Malkavians would be a great clan if they didn't attract such shit players.
>>
>>51363688
I don't know about the best clan, but lasombras attract absolutely the worst players. Must be their disciplines. Every lasombra I've ever played with was a complete shitler.
>>
Ahrimanes or City Gangrel in terms of roleplay potential.
True Brujah in terms of raw power.
>>
>>51363688
Tremere would be great, if it weren't for the Pyramid bullshit and the fact that they fucking killed the only decent clan
>>
>People praising the Tremere

How long before the MAGE SUPREMACISTS invade this thread ?
>>
Old Clan Tzimisce for sure.
>>
>>51363988

City Gangrel?
>>
>>51363688
Malkavian. There is no alternative.

LOOK at the picture

SEE the piece of skull removed
>>
Setites, cause Set's gonna win.
>>
File: n47DetS1ud0qubo1.png (72KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
n47DetS1ud0qubo1.png
72KB, 500x481px
>>51363688
Assamites
>>
>>51363688
Ventrues or Giovannis.
I love me some classy vampires.
>>
>>51366263
Is fucking your siblings classy?
>>
Nagaraja. Not one of the thirteen Clans except in some retcon material, but I like them. If you don't accept that answer:

Tzimische, particularly their 1e Player's Guide portrayal where they less about making themselves into monsters and more into "sweet I can get Appearance 5 with Vicissitude!" and fast cars.
>>
In the vidya game, malkavian. They get a nifty discipline, stealth, and tons of good dialog.
>>
>>51366307
only if you cuddle afterwards
>>
It's a shame that so few have a real appreciation for what matters. Toredor all the way.
>>
File: Typical Giovanni.jpg (177KB, 1297x1085px) Image search: [Google]
Typical Giovanni.jpg
177KB, 1297x1085px
>>51363688
Caitiff or Toreador.

>>51366263 >>51366307
Pic.
>>
>>51366263

But Tremere can be classy too
>>
>>51363688
>Tzimisce
>Malkavian
>Gangrel
>Nosferatu
Top tier for handicap mode/creative roleplaying.
>Ventrue
>Toreador
>Giovanni
Top tier for social roleplaying.
>Tremere
>Lassombra
>Brujah
For when you wanted to play D&D but walked into the goth room instead.

All else are shit.
>>
File: 1379540483750.jpg (93KB, 933x646px) Image search: [Google]
1379540483750.jpg
93KB, 933x646px
When done well there is no contest.
>>
>>51364855
It's a clan variation, normally Sabbat antitribu. They aren't into the life on the wilderness, kinda like "the city is my hunting ground", also they have Celerity instead of Fortitude and Obfuscate instead of Animalism as clan disciplines.
>>
>>51371660

That sound amazing. Can you play it and still be Camarilla?
>>
>>51363688
Tremeres aren't even a clan, you don't have a real antediluvian
>>
>>51363688
Dark Ages Wu Zao, no questions asked
Great disciplines, great weakness.
My ST allowed me Obfuscate instead of Fortitude in modern, I'm playing a supernatural PI in 80s Miami
>>
Nosferatu is the only clan where you will have friends and people who will genuinely support you.

Plus I really like their disciplines.
>>
>>51363968
I have had the exact same experience.
>>
File: LogoBloodlineSamedi.png (24KB, 500x529px) Image search: [Google]
LogoBloodlineSamedi.png
24KB, 500x529px
No love for the samedi? I'd put them in my top 3 with Malks ands Nos.

Also fuck revised taking away their necromancy.
>>
>>51363688
The one that's a shallow stereotype.

Holy shit, Masquerade was hot garbage.
>>
MANDALORE!
>>
>>51363688
Nosferatu, now get the fuck out of my face you sparkly pretty-fags.
>>
>>51363688

Tzimisce, hands down. Fleshcrafting is the coolest gimmick.
>>
>>51366203

No.
>>
lol vampire fags learn to play mage u inferior species
>>
>>51363688
Old Clan Tzimisce > Lasombra > Gangrel >Cappadocians/Harbingers.

I have a lot more fun in a dark ages campaign.
>>
>>51363688
Von Carstein
>>
>>51363688
Best Camarilla? Tremere
Best Sabbat? Pander
>>
>>51373672
>mage

literally Unknown Armies: Plebeian Edition
>>
Assuming you have somewhat decent players and they don't want to be Batman's Joker as a Malkavian or Blade as an Assamite.
1-Tzimisce.
2-Ravnos/Malkavian (Roleplay and creativity is a must for those.)
3-Ventrue.
Honorable mention: Capadocian.

Also: Seen lots of old clan Tzimisce, you guys care to point why you like them?
>>
>>51374212
The problem is that Malkavian can be insufferable when played wrong. Ravnos will be insufferable when played right.
>>
>>51374227
I really love when a player or the DM can come up with a character that actually infuriates me. Not in a That Guy way, tho. I particularly like Ravnos for this because if done right they tend to leave everyone thinking "That clever bastard" or something like this.
>>
Hey guys

Want to try vampire a ton

Have no idea what kind of character I should play ;w;

I like the flavor of Toreador but idk
>>
I like how the Nosferatu have a solid identity built around the concept of "ugly hidden vampires among social, normal-looking vampires". Their disciplines, their psychology, their organization, their role within vampire society - it all fits together very nicely. Plus I love the concept of clandestine underground groups.

But outside of that, a vampire clan is only as good as the Storyteller make them, and a vampire character only as good as its player.
>>
>>51374334
Play the video game. The tabletop game aged like milk.
>>
>>51374334
-Avoid the clans clichés. You don't have to play as "The Toreador" or "The Brujah", it's supposed to be a (un)living character, not just the representative archetype of the clan;
-Check what the other players are going to play, this is a good indicative of what kind of game it will be. For starters it can be very frustrating if you are a bullet sponge with 7d10 to your sword attacks and you're stuck with the party sipping blood from glasses and discussing the prince's new painting./Or if you'd rather be painting the Prince a new painting but you're stuck with your attack squad raiding a Giovanni mansion full of zombies.
-Check with the DM the usual kind of rolls he makes and the rules he uses/doesn't use.
-Describe your character well, provide pictures as reference if possible.
-Remeber, leaving aside some exceptions, he was himself before he was a vampire and he is a vampire before he is the clan.
-Try to find coherent ways to use those dots you placed in investigation or medicine or whatever, some actions can be made with different sets of skills, but it's up to the DM if you can identify the calibre of the bullet that made that hole with investigation, survival or medicine.

If you have any specific question ask away, I'm lurking and am willing to give as much insight as I can.
>>
File: wrong.png (159KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
159KB, 660x330px
>>51370412
>Top tier for social roleplaying.
>no Setite
>>
Tzimisce for me. Purely for their traditions and weakness. I like the idea of needing to sleep amid dirt somehow connected to you and the strict laws that goven how they interact with one another and other vampires.

If asked to play a clan I'd choose Tremere. I'm not inclined toward the more CE sadism and torture Tzimisce go in for, I just find certain aspects of them pleasing
>>
>>51374841
Most people I play RPG's with tend to play pretty heavy combat/damage roles. This works for me as I like playing supporting characters. Every sword and sorcery game I'm the Bard, every Shadowrun game I'm the Face/Shaman, etc.

I also really like the political manipulation aspects of the game; socially manipulative characters I've always found incredibly entertaining. Iago from Othello is probably my favorite antagonist in classical Fiction, Kefka in more modern fiction.

I firmly agree with the idea that I'm a person who is a vampire who is a part of the clan, rather than making Vampire/Clan my entire character.

Given that, what do you think my plan should be if I'm prioritizing having fun over min max? I had a character idea of someone who was obsessed with power, social status, and dueling- like the Italian nobles rapiers were made for. Maybe an ex tournament fencer?
>>
File: 1469102049371.png (3MB, 2392x2256px) Image search: [Google]
1469102049371.png
3MB, 2392x2256px
>>51374841
>Avoid the clans clichés. You don't have to play as "The Toreador" or "The Brujah", it's supposed to be a (un)living character, not just the representative archetype of the clan;
Somehow the writers missed that part.
>>
>>51374927
>I also really like the political manipulation aspects of the game; socially manipulative characters I've always found incredibly entertaining.
That's why you'd have to know what kind of chronicle the GM/other players wants to run, I've narrated for more than a year without a single damage roll once and the players really enjoyed, but then a new guy joined the party and I had to add a few combats and action scenes so he could play his part and enjoy the game, things ended up pretty well.
On the other hand I once played a Capadocian in a purely epic combat driven campaign and my only purpose was to make snarky remarks and being patched up after others were done killing everybody. (I enjoyed because I am a forever DM and even playing a boring game can be blissful from time to time).
Your idea rings well with the usual embracee of Toreador, Ventrue and Giovanni, I believe, you can look into those clans that usually embrace high socially-standing people. Maybe if he was pretty and gracious, a Toreador with such interest could have taken a shine on him. To some stretch, a vampire of any clan can embrace any kind of person, you just have to find a decent reason for it.
There's the consideration that if you'll be dealing mostly with mortals, any clan with presence/dominate can be absurdly overpowered and render social affairs quite boring.
>>51375005
It is stated somewhat early on every core rulebook that you're supposed to use what you want and disregard what you don't. I like to think that the pile of archetypes in the books are just the way they found to give the overall idea of what vampires of given clans can be like. People find if fun to play warrior/archer/mage archetypes in D&D and no one bats an eye. I am sorry that you never had a decent group to play bloodsuckers the disguised and have fun, anon.
>>
>>51375183
I think that why I'm interested in Toreador is that IRL I see myself as an artist. *shrug*.

If Toreador pulled her/him in it might be "oh they're pretty" or it could be the "Oh, your sword work is an art to itself and I want that". The Toreador, however, are hedonistic, and that may fit the focus I want for him- which may create conflict.

Ventrue kinda bore me, I guess. They feel so... slow. So unwilling to act. I feel like the kind of characters I enjoy would struggle with the Ventrue leadership- while I think, and am patient, I most certainly am not bureaucratically oriented.

The Giovanni are most definitely my speed. I like the idea of basically a death cult plotting to take the fuck over. However, if they are moving toward an agenda, how will I fit that agenda?

I'll have to think on this a while. Heading out soon for school.
>>
>>51375409
You have to be 18 to post here.

Also, kill yourself.
>>
>>51375509
I'm 18 so... lol. Senior in HS.
>>
>>51375409
Picking a somewhat bad example, you have LaCroix, the Ventrue prince from the Blodlines video-game. Although he doesn't act himself, he's far from being bureaucratic and patient. "Go fetch me that McGuffin now, you better be back before sunrise." Also fortitude
It might be far fetched, but have you considered an Assamite or a Ravnos? It's never a waste of time to consider what else is available beside the obvious choices, you might find something interesting or simply get some new ideas for your starting concept.
>>51375509
You should also have to be civilized to post here, that would be great.
>>
>>51375634
I'm REALLY liking Giovanni actually. That sort of power hungry attitude really fits what I want from Them.

The idea I'm getting is that he was given the gift because of his motivation; and that his drive is what makes the Giovanni interested in him.

WOO LETS GO CREATION TIME
>>
>>51375701
Keep in mind that he has to be from the family, otherwise you'll need to find a really good excuse for a Giovanni to embrace him. Check that with the DM for a green light. Good luck with the character.
>>
>>51371660
What would be a good clan for a gang leader base on Gentleman Johnny Marcone, but russian?
>>
File: 1464607680565.jpg (127KB, 1102x967px) Image search: [Google]
1464607680565.jpg
127KB, 1102x967px
Salubri.
>>
File: 1460509285327.png (94KB, 479x324px) Image search: [Google]
1460509285327.png
94KB, 479x324px
>>51375409
>I see myself as an artist
>*shrug*
>HS
>>
>>51371711
Up to the ST but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that says they cannot be in the Camarilla.
>>
>>51363688
Tzimisce for fleshcrafting and standards, Najaraja because Pisha grew on me and I get a similar vibe of "monsters, but not monsters who throw their weight around to be cunts".

I don't really dislike any of the clans though.
>>
Lasombra with Flaw: Dismembered Limb (Arm) taken twice, high (3 or 4 dots) Obtenebration high Dex that uses feet (or servants / retainers) for mundane fine manipulation tasks and Arms of Ahriman for everything that requires force.
>>
How do I convince my fucking players to play a short campaign? They think vampires are for goth and faggots. I tried telling them the campaign would be more about investigation than being a pretty bloodsucker.
>>
>>51363688
God-tier:
>Cappadocian
>Lasombra
>Malkavian (done right)
>Nosferatu
>Tzimisce

Mid-tier:
>Assamite
>Tremere
>Salubri-antitribu
>Setites/Serpents of the Light
>Ventrue

Awesome for NPCs-tier
>Baali
>Blood Brothers
>True Brujah
>Gargoyle
>Harbingers of Skulls
>Kiasyd
>Nagaraja
>Salubri
>Samedi
>Old Clan Tzimisce
>Tlacique
>Daitya

Low-tier:
>Brujah
>Gangrel
>Giovanni
>Ravnos
>Toreador

Caitiff-tier:
>Ahrimanes
>Caitiff/Panders
>Children of Osiris
>Daughters of Cacophony
>Fishmalks
>>
Why does everyone hate Brujah? They can be good when not played as communist bikers or college students.
>>
>>51377244
"If I were forced to pick the single most pathetic clan, Brujah would get my vote. Yes, even ahead of the Toreador or the Gangrel. The Rabble are the parasites' parasites. Their sect seeks to cower away from mortal eyes rather than striding forth in glory or simply blinding the kine with hot pokers. This clan in turn prides itself on rebellion but cannot actually manage to leave, take over or otherwise alter the status quo. The antitribu are much the same, except with more blood and piercings."

"So-called egalitarians, they have no real interest in bettering the lot of others. Rather, they want us brought down to their level so that they can lord it over the rest of us in the democratic mire. Fortunately, their chances of success are nil. In the meantime, those who serve us make superb cannon fodder, and those who do not die easily."

Lasombra, on the Brujah
>>
>>51377244
First problem is that that's how they are played most of the times - it just attracts that kind of a players, or something.
Second problem - they are most generic Clan. They have a bit of everything - powers, speed, charm. They have most generic flaw - anger issues. They are arguably most numerous ... they are the vanilla of the bloodlines.
>>
>>51377244
Clanbook: Toreador's take.

>It can be hard to cope with the Brujah because in many ways they're like us. They're attached to strong feelings from their mortal life. We're lucky. We're attached to culture - and while you can debate the virtues of this dancer or that philosophy, for the most part culture is something you can point to, evaluate, and look at from the outside.

>The Brujah, poor souls, are connected to ideas. Have you ever held a pound of liberty? Gone around looking for a few yards of justice? Hopped next door to borrow a cup of honor? I didn't think so.

>The reason the Brujah can't get along with each other (or anyone else, for that matter) is that each one seems to be bound up with some personal, intangible crusade. They're very particular. Two Brujah howling for "freedom" may have an entirely different interpretation of what "freedom" means. Younger Brujah often don't have a very firm idea of what they mean when they cry for whatever virtue they're championing. They just feel good making noise and watching the reaction.

>That's where we come in.

>If you painted a picture, you'd like the person who seemed to understand and encourage your work, right? Well, it's just the same with the Brujah and their "causes." Figure out what they want to hear. Say it. Now you have a comrade who likes to fight. Trust me, the rhetoric of revolution is a lot easier to chatter on about than theater criticism. Throw out a few catchphrases that sound good and mean nothing, and the Brujah eats out of your hand. Up your banners! Fight the power! You've nothing to lose but your chains!

>(It helps a lot if they think you admire them. But that works with almost everyone.)
>>
>>51374212
I actually played my Malkavian AS Batman.
>>
>>51377639
Down to the filthy rich gadgetter part, or just the vigilante part?
>>
>>51372217
Yeah we do, he was fuckin delicious
>>
>>51375888
Are Salubri completely dead or what? Which games do they even show up to? Sabbat stuff?
>>
>>51377244
They're the SJWs of kindred.
>>
Promethean Brujah.
>>
>>51378207
7 at any one time I think?
>>
>>51377244
They just aren't interesting outside of combat stats. At all. Not every individual is a hippie or a freedom fighter or whatever, but that IS the clan.

You don't have to make a boring character but that's where the clan fluff starts and leaves you, so you're on your own when writing. Even if you take your character concept out for a wild ride far from Brujah fluff, you still have to deal with others' default assumptions and now have a big disconnect with your own clanmates.
>>
>>51377639
I think the best example of a malkavian I've seen in media was that girl from penny dreadful, the contrast between while she is herself and those moments while she's completely fucked up and tormented between possessions were quite great. But it's hard to find someone who can play an actually deranged character without becoming "lol I'm so crazy" with a "damaged" tattoo on it's forehead.
>>
>>51374841
>Avoid the clans clichés. You don't have to play as "The Toreador" or "The Brujah", it's supposed to be a (un)living character, not just the representative archetype of the clan
I love people who understand this. When creating your character, make him as a human first. Then "tint" him with his clan's bent.
>>
File: 1482354502357.jpg (24KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1482354502357.jpg
24KB, 229x343px
>>51378326
>tfw you know someone who's going to be doing this 100% guaranteed in the next chronicle and cannot stop them
>>
>>51378207
They are not completely dead but there are few and they keep their existence well hidden, or at least the fact they are Salubri. Tremere will hunt them on sight. And many other clans would too because they are easy picking, with no prominent Sire to avenge what's done upon them and no strong allegiance they are almost on level with Caitiff.

Serious spoilers
Tremere has diablerized Saulot to get the bloodline started, but Saulot's soul is too strong so he never gained full control over it, never fully absorbed it like a diablerist normally would. He spends most of the time in torpor struggling for control. In the Final Nights he leaves his body (via Dominated Vessel) to attend some high-profile agenda that needs to be done personally. His body was left staked in some vault. When he tried to return he could not. So he stayed with the Vessel. Apparently Saulot "woke up" and walked away with the body - disregarding the stake - he's Antediluvian of healer clan after all. But he doesn't seem to be too eager on restarting the bloodline. There's several Gehenna scenarios what he might be after, one is noble self-sacrifice to redeem all Kindred, Cain included, or some shit.
>>
>>51378399
The damaged tattoo?
>>
>>51377783
A former CSI so paranoid about crime in his city he "decided" to scare the shit out of criminals. Of course cleaning the streets got me Masquerade violations but by the time I got hunters on me I had Horrid Countenance, Voice of Madness, Spirit Ties and actual police training so I kept surviving until the storyteller threw the Sheriff at me.
>>
>>51378375
Who even does that? I've literally never, not one time, encountered a player at a VtM RP event who's just trying to be his or her clan stereotype. I can sort of imagine someone doing it their first time as training wheels, but not even new players want to actually do that.
>>
>>51378477
You'd be surprised. Especially when it comes to malkavians.
>>
>>51378424
Not the tattoo, just "I'm Malkavian so I'm always crazy and pop-culture-definition schizophrenic" shit.
>>
>>51363688
I like Lasombra because spain and the catholic church give me a boner, and in a game about being edgy vampires the whole "master of darkness" thing is pretty cool. I like Giovanni for similar reasons, change Spain for Italy.

I like Tzimisce and Gangrel because I thing transformation is cool.

Clan Salubri is the cutest clan.

My least favourite clans are Toreador and Brujah (boring). Also Assamites. I like middle eastern history a lot and they're on of the most awful depictions I've ever seen. They would be okay if they were just the hashashin clan and otherwise irrelevant in the ME, with other clans being the ones ruling it.
>>
>>51378477
I've seen it a lot with gangrel, brujah, toreador and ventrue.
>>
OP here with a question/doubt

Are assamites some sort of assassin's creed vampires?
>>
Toreador probably have to go through some shit when you think about it.

Honestly their "Most Human Vampires" shtick seems more like it was adopted to compensate for the fact they're quite decisively *not* human anymore. They can't create any NEW art anymore, and so their exaggerated obsession with art is some attempt to grasp a sort of shred of humanity in the face of becoming a monster. They'll never feel the warmth of the sun, or enjoy fine food, so they take on some psuedo-parody of "humanity" in order to convince themselves that the beast they can feel inside them isn't really THEM.

They obsess over "art" and "beauty" because they can still appreciate them, to a degree, as a human can... this to, however, ends up as a parody, with them growing to obsess over art far beyond anything resembling a normal human.

They like to see themselves as the most "human" of the clans, but in truth they just desperately desire to not be seen as monsters.
>>
>>51378735
AC assassins and Assamites are both based around the same historical islamic sect, the nizari shias better known in pop culture as Hashashin. None of them particularly care a lot about the sect's history and instead focus on the "cool muslim assassin" archetype.
>>
>>51378738
My only grudge with Toreador is that literally every clan could and should feel that way. So Toreador end up being bizarro ventrues most of the time.
>>
>>51378826
I think that there's a bit too much thematic overlap between the Toreador, Ventrue, Giovanni and Lasombra. Sure, they each have unique characteristics, but in terms of archetype they feel a bit samey.
>>
I just want to put it out there that Gangrel are 100% all furries and discussion of furries and furry culture is against the rules on this website. On 4chan there is just going to have to be 1 less clan, sorry.
>>
>>51378949
Giovanni and Lasombra get a pass since theyclans designed for enemies and npcs, at least initially. There's not such an excuse for toreador.
>>
>>51379058
>Gangrel are 100% all furries

>tfw Gangrel is my favourite clan
>tfw obviously furry DM
>tfw I'm not into that AT ALL and can't play

Is there a way to unfurry gangrels or I should just play Setites and Tzimisces if I just want to transform into stuff?
>>
>>51378477
You'd be surprised by the amount of that guys that do this. On another side, if a not that guy player decides to go full archetype and he's not a shitty player, it opens up a lot of options for interesting cliché moments. Like, a Brujah actually rallying a group of vampires/people to some social cause with an inflammatory speech, a Toreador throwing one heck of a party with lots of art, etc etc.
>>
>>51379153
This is important too. While >>51378375 is not a bad advice, cliches exist for a reason. I didn't specially like the brujah anarchs in Bloodlines, but they didn't feel out of place at all. The same happens with half of the NPCs of the game, by the way.
>>
>>51379152
Describe your warform in extreme detail as not an anthro.
Even something as simple as keeping a mostly human/hominid face is enough to shrivel furry expectations.
No snout, no invitations to "yiff" with degenerates.
>>
>>51379375
Because Bloodlines is a work of art and a love letter to RPGs.
>>
>>51378124
FUCKING USURPERS.
>>
>>51379375
The only vampire in Bloodlines who's not a stereotype of their clan is Grout. That doesn't stop the game from feeling immersive, but it's nothing new for any VtM player.
>>
>>51379506
Yes and no.
Velvet, Ash and Isaac are all notoriously and unmistakenly Toreador. But they're entirelly different people and neither is a faggoty fop who grinds "exquisite" furniture.
>>
>>51379152
You can literally take a merit to get an additional clan discipline. Shit, if you're playing by MET rules there's a Nosferatu specific merit for it that's even cheaper.
>>
>>51379506
To some degree the twin girls are also different from the lolsorandumb Malk. Therese is basically a Ventrue/Toreador and while Jeanette looks like Harley Quinn that's because in WoD the goth/punk population is extremely bigger and she acts mostly like a Toreador.

Also Beckett is far from being the stereotypical Gangrel, although he's not an original Bloodlines character. There's also that anarch Toreador in Hollywood who looked more of a ventrue at first sight, and wasn't an archetypical anarch at all.
>>
>>51379711
How does that solve anything?
>>
>>51379765
Guy just wants transformation powers without clan baggage, this is a way to get the transformation discipline while playing a different clan. How does that NOT solve anything to you?
>>
>>51380017
Protean is literally what makes Gangrel attractive to a furry. The clan weakness rarely gets relevant if you give your vampire some self-control.
>>
I always see people moaning about fishmalks/playing a malkavian wrong and that's got me wondering what exactly is the right way to play a malkavian?
My group just started a VTM game and I'm worried i'm doing it wrong by basically being sane until the derangement kicks in
>>
>>51380076
it's also what makes them attractive to powergaming - aggravated straight from the chargen is a big one
>>
>>51380328
>powergaming

haha, powergaing. all u vampire fags are hilarious. u don't know what powergaming is until u play mage. fucking lawn chairs learn your place.

>mage supremacy
>>
>>51380262
Madness is not funny. Sometimes it can be scary, but most of the time it's just sad. That's basically it.
>>
My next VtM will be a transgender malkavian. The manual said a mental illness of your choosing.
>>
>>51379731
>and while Jeanette looks like Harley Quinn

Anon, they lifted new Harley design from Jeanette.
>>
>>51381716
Fair enough.

>>51381636
Doesn't it say you have to choose it from the derangements list?
>>
>>51382160
It explicitly does not - like basically everything else in White Wolf games, it's stated that it's just a list of suggestions and that you're more than welcome to think up your own.
The oWoD really liked to drill in Rule Zero too, and it's stated in the beginning of every corebook that the rules are only a set of ideas.
>>
>>51381636
>making your character boring on purpose JUST to bring dumb shit to your group
>>
>>51382286
>The oWoD really liked to drill in Rule Zero too, and it's stated in the beginning of every corebook that the rules are only a set of ideas.
That's what makes me love this game so much. beside being a goth
>>
>>51363688
>What do you guys say?
I'd say you're a goddamn plebe.
>>
>>51363688
>not getting brujah and going full damage absorbtion
>>
File: 1466704185185.png (230KB, 424x353px) Image search: [Google]
1466704185185.png
230KB, 424x353px
>>51383150
>tfw I'm not goth but VtM made me love goth aesthetic and I'm getting materials ready so I can go "costume goth" at will soon
>>
>>51381636
I did this for a religious Malkavian. Complete straight-faced bible basher. ST was okay with that and everything went better than expected.
>>
>>51379506
I would say that ironically Grout is better "stereotype" of a Malkavian than malk PC is.
>>
I like the Lasombra

Actually I don't like them I just like Obtenebration
>>
>>51383603
>tfw you're currently playing in a group of 12th gen Camarilla and having a Lasombra just won't fit in.
I just want spooky shadows is that too much to ask for
>>
>>51383534
Costume goth?
>>
>>51377160
I can respect this list.
>>
>>51383674
I would imagine that's for an occasional goth rather than fulltime goth. Like the decent and unassuming looking guy sitting next to you in the office. If you met him over the weekend you would not believe it's the same person.
>>
>>51383648
You could convince your ST to let you play a Caitiff with it and never use it unless you want leave no survivors

I mean being Caitiff is bad enough
>>
>>51383717
Leaving aside the fact that goth is not just the aesthetics, it's a whole subculture, I would say that most goths aren't "in character" all the time. Some things aren't very practical to wear on a daily basis. Hahahaha
>>
>>51383717
I was interpreting that as 'my-anon-can't-possibly-be-this-goth!' but only infrequently.
>>
>>51383782
Hahaha, I did this before. Except the "secret" discipline was Vicissitude
>>
>>51383801
Would Detroit Metal City ring any bells?
>>
I'll never live down the shame of playing a stupid kooky Malkavian in my first WoD game. It still hurts to think about how immature I was in Highschool. Glad I made up for it in the second playing more grounded intelligence/connections mage.
>>
>>51383782
It's a little late now, we're already a few sessions in. I ended up playing a self hating alcoholic malkavian, definitely fun to play as.
I'm not the best RPer so I deliberately picked something that'd make me step out of my comfort zone and I'm glad I did.
>>
>>51383674
Yeah, stuff I could show up to RP in or even go to a party with, but wouldn't hang out a normal day in. And not part of any particular culture, obviously.
>>
>>51383844
No, but I looked it up just now and had a giggle.
>>
>>51383845
It's okay, you were in high school. Malkavians' main reputation comes from adults making trite characters you'd expect from high schoolers, so if you WERE one it doesn't count for shit.
>>
>>51383845
Your smartest decision was playing a mage
>>
>>51377160
Assamite are shit tier though.

Settites are god tier if your group encourage fucking each other over.

Toreador are god tier, so damn diverse considering anything could be perceived as an "art".
>>
>>51383789
What makes you a goth apart from wearing spooky clothes and hanging with other goths?
>>
>>51363688
Damn, took the words right out of my mouth.
>>
>>51363688
tzimisce, tremere and salubri are my favorites
>>
>>51374925
>sleep among dirt
>not hollowing out some unused organs and putting dirt there.
Do you even flesh craft?
Bonus points for bleeding dirt.
>>
>>51378826
I see it as ventrue reveling in their power to a degree, brujah channel their rage into politics, gangrel just feel more alone and so on
>>
>>51385076
But being manipulative politic shits is central to Toreador, sometimes as important if not more than the artist facet.
>>
A lot of players seem to think that the key to playing a Maldivian is to be the cackling madman screaming at lampposts. This is reinforced by the clan books, but I always liked to take a more realistic approach to mental illness with mine. He is aware that something is wrong but has no choice in his compulsions, and when he feels cheated or disrespected he has to actively fight another personality from taking over. This has led to hilarious moments between PC's.
>>
>>51385345
I have seen malks that simply suffered from fire obsession, they just sat and stared at fire, so they ended up dead because the other vamps felt he might be dangerous and/or reveal them.
>>
>>51384260
Depends on the time you became a goth I guess. In the 70's it was open mindedness about culture and sexuality, morbid wits and an affinity for alt. electronic music/post punk.

Right now I'd say it's a preference for dark design and aesthetics over safe/realistic marketing. A staunch distaste for political correctness that castrates the levity of sarcasm and irony producing nothing but pent up anger and depression. And a sense of intimacy and romance over telling everyone your 90 pronouns.
It's fucking sad how much today feels like the 60s-70's.

On a weird note, I would say the gothest music around right now that isn't purposedly trying to recreate 70's goth music, is fucking country rock of all thing. Specially the Clutch, Angry Johnny, etc. kind that delves into the morbid for the sake of comedy/absurdity with a straight face.
>>
>>51385621
Yeah, the saddest part of Malks is that if you play them as straight real mentally insane people they're very dangerous to the Masquerade.
>>
Everytime I try to play this game it goes to shit

How do I play vampire ~right~ ?

Also, I see some anon saying some clans have a "right" way to play, could some clarify what bothers you?
>>
>>51378400
>he doesn't seem to be too eager on restarting the bloodline
there are a lot of bloodlines he created, it seems like when the purpose he had for the bloodline is completed he doesn't care anymore for it
>>
>>51387829
There is no correct way to play vampire. Generally you should try to avoid combat, but this is less because it's the "right" way to do it and more because combat is merciless. Having said that, done right, there's no reason why you can't basically run a murderhobo game like any D&D session. Even that isn't a hard and fast rule. The "intended" way is roleplay-heavy and focused on sabotage and political wrangling, n a world of darkness, where you're a monster struggling to hold onto your humanity.

But, I firmly encourage playing Vampire as a a more lighthearted game.

Basically, play the game you find most fun. Don't sweat the details.

>I see some anon saying some clans have a "right" way to play

The Malkavian clan weakness is that every one of them is insane, but the kind of insanity varies from Malkav to Malkav. The "right" way to play a Malkavian is as someone tormented by their psyche, fighting against both their vampiric nature and their degrading mental state.

However, a common way to play Malkavians is instead as basically The Joker, someone who indulges their insanity rather than fights it. Pick your version; I suppose most people shoot for Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson but personally I'm fond of Mark Hamil and Cesar Romero.

Again, there's no real "wrong" way, excepting if it seriously disrupts the game or group cohesion. You wanna play a madman who beats people with fish? Go right ahead.
>>
>>51363688
Cappidocian.
Fuck Giovani shitters
>>
ALL THE ANONS HERE ARE VAMPFAGS

MAGE IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER

FITE ME IRL U INFERIORS
>>
>>51390280
If mages are superior why did the order of Hermes fail to kill all the termere?
>>
>>51390280
Caster supremacy should stay in DnD thanks
>>
>>51378124
No you don't, Saulot just got a new body you tool
Read final nights aspie
>>
>>51378265
That's an urban legend because of a real dark ages order of salubri, of which there actually only were 7 at a time
>>
>>51375770
Hey Anon, if you're still here.

Idea I had is this;

Son of a british Diplomat heading into the 80's; his father, of course, the Ambassador to Italy.

Lucas goes along on one of these trips, and ruthlessly helps his father secure a trade deal of some sort (without his father's knowledge or approval) by seducing the daughter of an important political figure and learning about the secret of the ambassador they're negotiating with.
There is also a small fencing event amongst the Household youth that he wins without taking a touch.

In the house they are staying in for this conference, one of the diplomats there happens to be Giovanni, and the rest is history- his ruthlessness argued as what makes him good for the clan. He is fresh blood who will do things and do them aggressively well.

His Demeanor is that of a Competitor, and his nature is that of an Autocrat. He Must Win, he must have Power, and he must be the Machiavelli this world needs.
>>
>>51363688
If you are not playing a Gangrel you are doing it wrong desu.
>>
>>51391242
The Giovanni just wouldn't do it.
Unless they were trying to bring in your entire family as another branch (unlikely considering they have a british family of masonic Giovanni) The Elders of the clan (who are always the final say on who gets embraced, it's their whole gimmick) would just straight up say no. Also someone like that without the years of instilled family loyalty is nothing but a liability.

Works better for a Ventrue concept.
>>
Having never played modern I like most of the higher clans with Cappadocians as best.
>>
>>51391631
The issue is that Ventrue doesn't fit me as a player. At all.

I like the Giovanni, and I'd rather bend the setting a little to make an interesting character for me as a player and for the story.

Hell, the idea of "you shouldn't belong" seems like it would create interesting drama or plot hooks for the GM- maybe there are some members of the Giovanni who don't think I belong, and that creates conflict the GM can use.
>>
>>51391708
Your game your rules.

I just thought you wanted some feedback on the idea that's more reflective of how the clan is. The embrace is a reward for how competent a family member is and how loyal they are to the family to the point where a group of ordained elders will come together assess you and then determine what level of generation you deserve. Those same elders are gonna be monumentally pissed at whoever is embracing outside of the family without contacting them (read: kill you and your sire asap)
>>
File: setite.jpg (126KB, 493x756px) Image search: [Google]
setite.jpg
126KB, 493x756px
>>51366161
Setites are some of the purest Magnificent Villains I can imagine, more than even the literal Demons[tF].
>>
>>51391777
It might make more sense if they were recruited as an outsider, to being a member of the family, to then earning the embrace after long debate/argument and proving of loyalty.
>>
>>51391781
Tyler Durden is best Settite.
>>
>>51391788
Why not make him one of the St. Peters, the english branch of the family?

They're so minor you might be viewed as the rest of a clan as an outsider anyway while still being legit enough to actually be embraced.>>51391788
>>
>>51391821
Okay, I'll look into that- it might be such a minor detail to the character growing up as "Dad married into the St. Peters and Mom died giving birth, so he never knew" or some shit. At 16-18, he shows his ruthlessness and gets re-introduced, and then he works his way up and shows his loyalty to the point where he gets embraced at 21-22.
>>
>>51391876
Also minor deet but Giovanni's ghoul someone for years before they embrace them. Normally by making them recieve the blood in "inventive" ways that might put some people off.
>>
>>51391906
I think part of the character I want is that they were fast tracked for some reason or another, which creates contention that the GM can use.

1990- recruited back in
1998-2000- Embraced
2016/17- current time period for the game.

This is all stuff I'll have to clear with the GM
>>
>>51391933
There is a special type of embrace that the Giovanni can perform using a necromantic ritual that lets them embrace someone AFTER they died. It's normally only done on people that were viewed as "too important to lose" but it could be a neat way to explain why you were embraced so quickly.

I think it's called the Mortuario merit. It leaves you with a scar of how you died and a deathly complexion but your necromancy stronger because you're closer to death than most.
>>
>>51384260
Sorry for the long post.
Besides the "spooky clothes" (If you're willing, look up some "goth subtypes", you're probably picturing hot topic scene kids listening to metal or some random otakus, believe it or not, it's not the case), there is a whole lot of things, mostly centred around art with the Gothic aesthetic. Did you listen to Music from the succubus club? Every track was picked from a different goth band and although superficial, it's a good indicative of the diversity of music styles goths usually enjoy (I fucking love Paralysed Age and Seraphim Shock), not to say that we only listen to that, but if nothing on those styles really captivate your feelings, then it's probably not your cup of tea. Although not present in all (which is sad) there is generally a taste for literature, Poe, Lovecraft, Stoker, R.L. Stevenson, Shelley, Anne Rice and many others. You see, "gothic literature" is a thing, although the classic writers weren't writing their stuff because they "were so dark and against the system" and definitely they didn't consider themselves goth. lol
There's a whole lot more, movies (Nosferatu, Metropolis, Lost Boys), comics (sandman for example), games (TTRPG players where I live are in a short supply, and when I met the goths from my city (I were into TTRPG before I realised the goth scene was something that I loved), I was astounded by the huge percentage of them who played WoD, and played it well).
Also: Metal is not Goth, there is no such thing as gothic metal. With that said, I really do like a fuckton of metal bands.
This was a somewhat brief overview of the subject, sorry again for the long post.
>>51387702
Unfortunately, the SJW bullshit is deeply ingrained on the alternative subcultures because back then, fighting for equality and fairness wasn't the shitstorm of safe spaces that it is today and so people continued to orbit around those subjects and got mentally poisoned by the "activists" of today.
>>
>>51391242
That seems like a nice concept, but as another anon pointed, the Giovanni family and clan traditions are in the way.
I'd consider what he said about the British branch of the family, or you can fuck things up and be and be an illegal(?) Giovanni and have the whole clan after your head (also, I think there is a flaw for being hunted by the Giovanni because of that, if it doesn't, you can come up with one with your ST or just have clan enmity:Givanni) that might make the game harder for you without a clan to back you up and being on a death list, but hey, I played a Sabbath deserter Tzimisce in Victorian London and it was the best character I ever had, always with a razor on his neck, walking on a tight rope. He even became a recurrent character of my chronicles because being forever ST is sad.
>>
I've never played VtM, but it's been mentioned around my group as a possible system for our next campaign. My only knowledge is second hand /tg/ stuff and one playthrough of VtM:B as a Tremere.
I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I have a concept for a Malk that I think sounds fun, but on the other hand roleplaying a Malk seems kind of daunting.

I broad terms, the guy is a Malk who's obsessed with keeping up appearances, to the point where he's no longer completely able to distinguish between what he really is and what he's pretending to be.

He's a former romantic painter (or something like that) who's work was about expressing human emotion, but he stopped producing very shortly after his embrace. He'll still insist that he's more or less unchanged from when he was mortal, and he'll speak of things like love and justice, but the truth is that he doesn't really feel any of those things anymore. No longer feels human. Just uses these terms with fake sincerity because that's what he thinks one ought to do. So he's two-faced, actions depending on how much work he has to do to "trick" others into believing that he's unchanged.

In life, he was into Crowley, and has delusions connected to this. He earnestly believes that Crowley's magic is real and works, and he believes that because of his skill, wizards are out to get him, to the point of paranoia. This counts mages, Tremere, and just regular human occultists. To ward against them, he will hoard anything he perceives as magic.
>>
>>51392099
>>51391974

I def am going to have him be involved with the St Peter Branch. Just something that was hidden from him and as he grew up he grew involved.

Do you know what book the Mortuario Merit is in? That is 100% perfect for this character, and I like it a lot. Most likely, knowing Lucas, he died during some sort of mission.
>>
>>51392214
Lore of the Clans V20
>>
>>51392212
Isn't Crowley actually a vamp in WoD. I think he might even be a Malk himself.
>>
>>51392260
From some quick googling, that's apparently the case. He's a Malkavian who thought he was a Tremere.
>>
>>51392250
THANK YOU SO MUCH

OML I'm so into the idea of being brought back from the dead as a vampire, and people debating over the rushing of me becoming a vampire in clan.

I don't know why but it feels like it fits my character so well
>>
>>51387702
Wtf are you babbling about
>>
>>51377244

I think they need more emphasis on the fallen clan bit. Once, they were warrior-philosophers, builders of Utopias. Nowadays, they are little more than rabble.
>>
>Hermann Göring is the Malkavian Primogen of Berlin
>Heinrich Himmler is a Tremere and still leads a nazi group
This is stupid.
>>
>>51392319
Aight, Character is almost done. Should I post the sheet here?
>>
>>51392473
bumping with character to keep alive

http://pastebin.com/EMHJefSD
>>
>i want to be giovanni
>i dont want to be giovanni though
VtM clans aren't so flexible as to allow proper creativity with very few exceptions. Just pick a different clan.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.