[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Filth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 384
Thread images: 41

File: 1484001858561.jpg (22KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
1484001858561.jpg
22KB, 309x400px
> Latest News
> New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
> Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

Next UA will be out on the 30th, not the 23rd. Source: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/822537176529432577

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ? Can you really say they had it coming ?
>>
>>51358602
A bunch of fish men who were trying to escape with their commander's corpse after failing to set off a WMD in our FOB. It's pretty much Nam so yeah they deserved it.
>>
>>51358602
>What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ?
One of the party members. I'm the DM.
>>
My DM is cool and let's us use some of the UA. I rolled for stats and got a 3, the rest of my stats are pretty solid. Can I run a Kensei path monk using a greatsword as one of my Kensei weapons? It seems retarded, but if it works RAW then I'm all in. (DM allows unarmed strikes if we have both handsides occupied).
>>
>>51358602
I killed a little girl so she wouldn't come back to fuck us over and kill my character's family. She was a level 5 bard so she had the potential to come back and fuck us over.
I had to protect my family goddamn it.
>>
>>51358761
3 going into STR as a dump stat
>>
>>51358602
>What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ? Can you really say they had it coming ?

Define 'not your party'. My guy dealt the killing blow to a hag who was charming a local lord to inspire war with a drow city.

She had it coming.
>>
File: HumourLizard1.jpg (152KB, 900x1030px) Image search: [Google]
HumourLizard1.jpg
152KB, 900x1030px
>>51358602
>>
>>51358761
> (DM allows unarmed strikes if we have both handsides occupied).
You can already do that RAW, you can headbutt/bite/elbow/kick/booty bump enemies even if your hands are full.
>>
So.... since mystic power is invisible. What stoping them from running around and murdering people left and right? What about subtle spell sorcerer casting fireball in town square?
>>
So in this edition, are lamia snake people or weird bug hives in dead fae?
>>
>>51358602
Honestly, I don't remember when I've played the last time.
>>
>>51358956
>"Where did that fireball come from?"
>"I don't know, so let's just arrest that guy with dragon scales, that guy who's a vibrant shade of blue, and that guy who has swirling gusts of elemental air around them."

So basically the thing that's stopping them is profiling.
>>
Wow Sorcerers and Warlocks being shoved aside for more Wizard support again.
>>
>>51359076
What are you talking about?
>>
>>51359119
2 new wizard schools released today. skipped right over warlock and sorcerer in the pattern.
>>
Tell me your race+class+archtype and character concept, I'll tell you what custom item I'd give you as your DM.
>>
>>51359217
Human fighter, eldritch knight.
Warrior captured by desert lamia to be a slave, makes a bargain with a fiend to get out of this slavery business. Eventually want to multiclass into warlock.
>>
>>51359138
Post link? I can't find it for some reason
>>
>>51359217
Half-Elf Paladin who have taken Oath of the Ancients. Taken into knightly order as a page after his mother paid for it with the last of her inheritance. He now travel the world as knight-errant protecting does who can't protect themselves, frees the oppressed, strikes down pride with mockery and starts rebellions as true follower of Tymora.
>>
>>51359217
Tiefling devotion paladin. Originally wanted to be the greatest knight to ever live, now stuck serving highly morally ambiguous lords whom she can't betray and doing highly morally ambiguous dirty work for them. All because oaths of loyalty were sworn.
>>
>>51359247
The fiend patron makes your slave collar impossible to remove and infuses it with magic. It causes you discomfort, but not enough to have a mechanical effect.

You can either use Intelligence for warlock abilities or Charisma for EK casting.

>>51359318
I have no idea about deities outside of Eberron, so I'm not sure how well the idea fits. The knight you squired for returned an heirloom to you that your mother used to pay your way. You know Vicious Mockery, and you may cast it as a bonus action after taking the Attack action.

>>51359339
A mysterious signet ring made of a whitish metal with a red face. You cast your racial Hellish Rebuke at a level equal to your proficiency bonus, and you can cast it proficiency bonus times per day before you need a long rest.
>>
>>51359394
>>51359366
The ring is linked to an archdevil and will start trying to influence you the more you use its effects.
>>
>>51358602
I believe my last kill was on an enemy soldier using shocking grasp, but I vaguely recall just knocking him out. My last confirmed kill that I can recall was the final encounter in a pathfinder campaign against a goblin who'd become champion of Amadeus in his pursuit of revenge on us whom I cut in half with a sythe
>>
>>51359394
I like it. Thank you.
>>
>>51359366
Hey, Fiona, whatcha doin'?
>>
>>51358991
Neither, they are lion centaurs.
>>
File: waf.png (135KB, 237x223px) Image search: [Google]
waf.png
135KB, 237x223px
I'm building a charlatan fiendlock that focuses on eldritch blast for his primary damage spell and uses the rest of his spells for utility and debuffing. I wanted some advice on picking a starting feat for him and a pact for him to grab at level 3. I was thinking about picking up chainpact since it'll probably be a short campaign.
>>
>>51359394
The goddess of good luck and fortune aka the one goddess every adventurer prays to.
Item is awesome, thank you
>>
>>51358602

My Plague Doctor Artificer and his Mecha-Vulture divebombed a Neogi slaver in the middle of rounding up some random folks. It was totally metal
>>
Is it possible to be a succubus summoner as opposed to being an angel summoner?
>>
>>51359289
Because it's not true. We're not even getting one this week. No UA until the 30th.
>>
I'm playing a Wild Magic Sorcerer but I want to focus mainly on control spells instead of just throwing fireballs and shit, very new to d&d/5e, what can I do that's entertaining?
I've just hit level 3
>>
>>51359532
Is this confirmed somewhere?
>>
>>51359217
Human Artificier alchemist conman. Grew up as a city urchin. Feels bad about selling a phoney panacea to a dying lord whose daughter ended up orphaned and is trying to turn himself around.
>>
>>51359532
>>51359631
The only fiend summoning spells are the one's for demons in Old Black Magic UA. I think the lack of a Conjure Fiend spell that is on par with Conjure Celestial or Fey is an over sight caused by Chris Perkins only ever wanting people to play good characters.
>>
>>51358602

Curious as to what happened to the homebrew link? Did it die or get pulled for a particular reason?

Also, curious to see if anyone has any balanced homebrewed Thri-kreen.
>>
>>51359708
I just want all the world to have delicious cherry waifus, man.
>>
>>51359057
This more or less.
If you play the psychic who dresses in completely normal clothes for the setting then you can mind bullets freely.
>>
>>51359669
A locket with an image of an unknown father and daughter inside it. Each die of your Healing Draught cannot roll below your proficiency bonus. The item is cursed, and you have disadvantage on all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks while holding money earned from selling your alchemical concoctions. The curse can only be removed by a Wish spell or be taking actions to atone for your misdeeds.
>>
Made a new version of my shadow paladin. Comments/criticism would be awesome.
>>
>>51359881
It sounds pretty cool.
>>
File: eva-widermann-cleric.jpg (95KB, 600x802px) Image search: [Google]
eva-widermann-cleric.jpg
95KB, 600x802px
>>51359881
This guy here again. I just realized there's a specific 5e homebrew general.

Should I keep my content off of /5eg/ while that's up, or does it even matter?
>>
>>51359770
Ooh, that's fiendish, I love it. Would the curse even apply to legitimate medicines and potions sold?
>>
>>51359217
Kor fighter-gunslinger (the Mercer one), he's a mercenary who has effectively no morals and aims only to get the job done no matter what that may entail. Off mission he mostly aims to improve his gear to make himself better able to accomplish missions.
>>
>>51359992
Yes, but if you gave them away, there would be no consequence. Helping people for the sake of it could be part of the atonement, but the fact that atonement could remove the curse or what actions would count as atonement would never be explicitly told to you. It's celestial item meant to judge your change in character.
>>
>>51360047
Homebrew I'm not familiar with and "murderhobo" don't give me much inspiration. Kor seem cool but I'm not familiar enough with anything in MTG after OG Mirrodin block.

Give me a little more to work with.
>>
>>51359881
lets see stuff that I dont like:
This is paladin not warlock. All they need is oath and ideal to believe in not fucking patrons.
Both channel divinity are good and one of them is save or die.
Level 3 feature that replaces your smite with of element that almost no one resist ? And no other oath gets this feature?
Level 7 is cool
Level 15 doesnt really fit the the oath but its cool
Level 20 so you upheld your Obfuscation tenet by turning into big fucking monster that people run away in fear from?
>>
>>51359987
If you're asking for critique, posting it here is fine enough.
>>
>>51359217
12 year old human Kensei (UA) monk. Has 3 STR (hence why it's a child). Kicked out of a monastery, Temple of the Dragon Egg (playing tyranny of dragons), for embracing a hedonistic lifestyle of drinking and eating.
>>
>>51359749
Not sure but iirc the old mega trove and dm guild got taken down, mega anon reuploaded once or twice and it got taken down again so he created the 5e tools and only the mega trove ended up begin reuploaded.

>I am just copy pasting I ain't got to explain shit.
>>
>>51359217
Artificer, human, alchemist. Obsession with finding uses for different pieces of dead monster and in particular cooking them. Kind of socially inept, thinks wizards are too full of themselves. Prefers non-lethal combat methods and less physical approaches, reminds me far too much of Singed from that one game now given the 'alchemist with a shield that throws adhesives and such' around.

Has athlete feat for
>5ft to stand up
So they can blast themselves with thunderstone freely. Haphazard.
>>
How does one add to the 5e tools?
>>
File: dwarf8.jpg (46KB, 640x566px) Image search: [Google]
dwarf8.jpg
46KB, 640x566px
I have a choice between light cleric and forge cleric. Race is locked on hill dwarf. Wat do, /tg/?
>>
>>51360155
>This is paladin not warlock. All they need is oath and ideal to believe in not fucking patrons.

I used the term "patron" as a more divine-neutral term for who this Oath might serve. You could make this Oath to serve as a knight for Strahd, for example, and Strahd isn't quite a god just yet.

And yeah, I'm aware all you need to be a paladin is belief in an ideal. The default assumption seems to be that MOST paladins have gods, though.

>Both channel divinity are good and one of them is save or die.

There's no save component to Death Whisper, though. I set it up to do scaling damage similar to Blinding Smite, though functioning off of CD instead of with a spell slot.

>Level 3 feature that replaces your smite with of element that almost no one resist ? And no other oath gets this feature?

True, but the alternative is being a shadow paladin that does radiant damage, so either way it's gonna be weird as shit. I figure this is the least of two evils.

Consider also how few things resist radiant, while how many resist necrotic or psychic. Giving the choice between the two as a 3rd level feature is intended to replicate how non-resisted radiant is, while still allowing for situations in which the smite's damage CAN be resisted.

>Level 15 doesnt really fit the the oath but its cool

I think I get what you're saying, because this Oath is trying to be both a shadow assassin sort of deal AND a paladin, and Umbral Jaunt gravitates towards the latter more than the former, but I'm not sure how I'd make it better than it is. How should I modify this?

>Level 20 so you upheld your Obfuscation tenet by turning into big fucking monster that people run away in fear from?

Good point. Considering it inherently hides your identity, though, you might be able to get a pass.
>>
>>51360444
Forge Cleric, up that dex. Dex is more useful for forging, after all. Smith the fucking world.

If you want to go LG spellcaster-paladin Moradin style, maybe light would work.
>>
>>51359217
Human Moon Druid, starting out with the Keen Mind feat. Backstory is that her grove was destroyed by a Red Dragon, and she still bears the scars on her arm. Not very optimized but she's a Moon Druid so she can roll with the changes.
>>
>>51360422
You don't.

When mega anon comes down from the higher planes you may ask him what it is it that you want.
>>
>>51360416

>Has athlete feat for
>5ft to stand up
>So they can blast themselves with thunderstone freely. Haphazard.

Huh, clever idea. Friend of mine plans to make an Artificer for my next game. I'll suggest that, she'll like the sounds of it.
>>
>>51360118
The archetype is pretty vanilla, it's a port of the pathfinder gunslinger so it's basically just a fighter that uses guns (the only really special thing is that they're kind of fueled by luck, burning grit to get advantage or to take trick shots and getting it back on crits or kills). Otherwise the character isn't so much a murder hobo as a merc who was raised in the life and does whatever it takes to survive in a field where failure almost certainly means death whether you were hired to kill or to protect. The Kor are a nomadic race that usually spend their lives on an unending pilgrimage to their three gods (in MTG the gods turn out to be based on stories of the eldrazi titans, eldritch abominations which exist to wipe everything from existence).
>>
>>51360326
A normally unremarkable-looking magic robe. When you attune to it, your waistline slowly expands and you're always hungry. An interior pocket has a small flask that refills with a shot of rum each time you take a short or long rest. You can use a bonus action to drink from the flask. If you do, you must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If you fail the saving throw, you're stunned until the start of your next turn. If you pass the saving throw, you may roll a die equal to your Martial Arts die and add your proficiency bonus. You regain that many expended ki points.

When you reduce an enemy to 0 hit points, a giant-language rune appears on the back that means "gluttony."

>>51360416
The rules for this one will sound a bit weird until I add the imagery.

A vial of a magical liquid used to concoct your thunderstones with. It only needs a few drops to be effective, and it never seems to run out. When you use a thunderstone and you're in the area of effect, you gain a fly speed equal to twice your land speed until the end of your turn. When you land, you fall prone.

>The thunderstone makes you fly through the air and fall on your ass, though you can control the direction.
>>
>>51360497
> Domain grants heavy armor proficiency
> Up that dex
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51360610
No idea.

Smith's tools aren't inherently tied to STR or DEX, either, so I don't know what that Anon is going on about.
>>
File: img2.thejournal.ie.gif (893KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
img2.thejournal.ie.gif
893KB, 700x525px
>>51360528
It's honestly not a lot greater than just getting mobile, but mobile doesn't provide +1 dex (to get to 14 dex which freed up two points from point buy to raise a non-critical stat like strength to 10), doesn't have bonus climbing, the disengage on attack isn't useful and.. Well
>40ft speed, 20ft if you stand on the turn, you move 30ft in the direction you want if blasted by thunderstone
compared to
>30ft speed, 25ft if you stand on the turn, you move 35ft in the direction you want if blasted by thunderstone

I'd probably say mobile is still generally more useful if you need speed, but it's a fun way to fuck around and you won't ever feel bad for rocketjumping since you actually gain 5ft of movement in the direction the thunderstone blasts you.

>>51360610
>Dwarf
>Doesn't need strength for heavy armour

>>51360593
>Rocket jumping thunderstones
>>
>>51360664
Smith's tools are likely to be int, but if you're ever tested for craftsmanship it will use dex instead of strength.

More importantly there's no reason to take strength over dex in the first place because you're a fucking hill dwarf. Of course, dex is a teritiary/secondary stat after con and wis.
>>
>>51360668

Heavy armor also limits the utility you get from DEX, though.

Granted, you'll have great saves and initiative rolls, but you'll also be a Forge cleric that inexplicably uses a rapier instead of a badass giant hammer or bastard sword.
>>
>>51360501
The burn scars on her arm become magical. They appear on her wildshape forms. She can sacrifice a spell slot in wildshape form to breath fire using her druid spellcasting DC to set the dexterity saving throw. The damage is 1d12 per level of the spell slot sacrificed.

>>51360584
So grit comes back on a kill or a crit? If so, I'd go with a gun or guns that can critically hit on a 19 or 20 when you're spending grit.
>>
>>51360518
Wasn't there some other anon who was adding the tome of beasts stuff on his own?
>>
>>51360501
>>51360739
Forgot the cone says is 15 ft. plus 5 ft. per level of the sacrificed slot. A later upgrade based on the druid learning to control it well would allow the druid to exclude x targets from the cone, where x = proficiency bonus.
>>
>>51360715
I'm sure if you explain that dex is the skill of craftsmanship your DM might let you refluff a rapier or light hammer into a finesse hammer.

The only thing strength really gives is better grapples. .. When you're not the sort of person who'll be doing any grapples.
>>
>>51358602
Hi all, just a quick sort of rules question. If I cast Banishment on a Glabrezu, does it get it's magic resistance re-roll to save?
>>
>>51360780
Yes, it gets magic resistance. Banishment is a spell and doesn't have any special rules in its description.

Banishment ends up working much better on natives than extraplanar creatures because of all the magic resistance on them.
>>
>>51360739
That would be pretty sweet since I'm almost always using grit on my shots and usually rolling 19 or 20 on them anyway.
>>
File: Swashbuckler female .jpg (71KB, 500x770px) Image search: [Google]
Swashbuckler female .jpg
71KB, 500x770px
>>51359217
Female Half-Elf Swashbuckler + Path of the Chain. She was the navigator of her pirate crew, the ship got into a terrible accident and the majority of her shipmates died and she was mortally wounded, in her fading moments she heard the voice of a fiend asking for her services in return for her life. Out of desperation, she accepted. She was healed (with really bad scars) and given a familiar that reminds her of her lost crew, an owl.
>>
>>51360739
you get a grit point back on a crit or a kill of a dangerous (at DM's discretion) enemy

you can't expect to, say, empty a scattergun into a goblin horde and get a grit recovered by every one that falls

you actually get the "crit on a 19-20" thing as a class feature at level 18 tho
>>
>>51360777
>I'm sure if you explain that dex is the skill of craftsmanship your DM might let you refluff a rapier or light hammer into a finesse hammer.

I dunno, at that point I might start smelling CharOps all over the concept, and be reluctant to let the player have their cake and eat it, too.

If a player was playing a blacksmith-type character, I wouldn't want them to refluff their way into making STR a dump stat.
>>
>>51360864
But STR is already a dump stat.

They're just avoiding making suboptimal choices for the sake of character when it can be easily justified and you can easily give them a hammer they'll barely use for combat anyway that's just as effective as if they picked up a rapier instead.
>>
>>51360831
Rather than a magical item, the owl is fiendish. It has 16 intelligence and 16 charisma, proficiency in all saving throws, and it gains Evasion when you do. It can speak, and uses the voices of your dead shipmates. It has proficiency in Arcana, History, Nature, and Religion, using your proficiency bonus in place of its own if yours is higher.

>>51360852
>you actually get the "crit on a 19-20" thing as a class feature at level 18 tho
If you got there, the guns would improve it to 18-20. That's how I do keen weapons so they don't invalidate champions.
>>
>>51360905
>They're just avoiding making suboptimal choices for the sake of character

Yeah see, that's exactly the problem I would have.

Besides, 2d6 damage versus 1d8 is a different kind of optimal, all on its own.
>>
>>51359217
Kobold Wizard that heard a tall tale about True Polymorph and wants to learn use it to become a dragon.
>>
>>51360864
It takes less justifying to simply let them Sneak Attack with any 1d8 one-handed weapon regardless of the Finesse property or their using STR instead of DEX.
>>
>>51360910
> It can speak, and uses the voices of your dead shipmates.

I like it!
>>
>>51360852
We're low level and I doubt we'll hit that plus the DM has ruled grit returns on all kills since it's one grit per killshot not per kill. He has to make it worthwhile since anybody can use guns plus there aren't any true mooks (everything we're meant to fight is a threat) and anybody including enemies can level mid fight.
>>
>>51360668

She plans to take a level in Revised Ranger, so the difficult terrain bonus on Mobile is useless. Plus, she liked Breaking Bad and that skill is 100% a reference, so that'll be a plus for her.
>>
>>51360946
It's nothing about 2d6.

The only (Sensible) choice is to use rapier+shield.

However, if you have strength, you can use a longsword+shield instead. Stat-wise, it's identical providing nothing fucks with your strength stat and you don't do anything like sneak attack or defensive duellist. Using a longsword+shield is basically a refluffed rapier in a way for a cleric.

Requiring you to take a suboptimal stat to use a refluffed weapon is kind of stupid.
>>
>>51360968
I also like to talk to players through familiars so I have an in-game voice that's always around. I'd rather RP stuff than use the DM voice if I have a choice.

>>51360956
A magical amulet with a malleable form. When you attune to it, it changes to a material that matches a type of dragon of your choice. (gold or silver or a ruby for a red dragon or sapphire for blue, etc.)

You apply the half-dragon template to yourself. Your head changes in shape to match the horns and crest of the chosen dragon type. The breath weapon is usable once per short rest.
>>
>>51360330

It's more than I had. Shame. You had to dig a bit but there was some cool shit.
>>
>>51360756
I am not sure but I don't think so. Maybe the anon you're speaking of was the anon that made the tools in the first place. Anyway you need to ask him if he shows up here or ask from the github.
>>
>>51360983
Taking a single level in revised ranger shouldn't be done.

The UA isn't balanced for that, and it is overpowered for almost every class to take a level in it due to the ridiculous number of benefits that singel level gives.
>>
>there are DMs who don't let their players refluff weapons as long as they are mechanically balanced
if a guy wants to use a 1d8 piercing reachless finesse shortspear like a roman hoplite instead of a rapier go nuts
>>
>>51360967

Rogue is a really weird thing to dip into if you have STR instead of DEX, anyway, mainly because their entire kit is DEX-based.

You've got Stealth, Evasion, Saves, Sneak Attack - at what point would you just eliminate STR and DEX as separate stats, if you're going to allow a STR Sneak Attack anyway?

>>51361004
>if you have strength, you can use a longsword+shield instead
Or: A shield plus a battleaxe, flail, morningstar, war pick, or war hammer. Y'know, the weapons you're TRYING to use by refluffing.

I'd let a player refluff for story reasons, but I would let a player refluff so they can have optimal stats and ONLY optimal stats.

Pic related is a blacksmith. She may have high DEX, but STR is far from her dump stat.
>>
>>51361182
There are people here playing monks in heavy armor so who knows man
>>
>>51361182
>but I would let a player refluff so they can have optimal stats and ONLY optimal stats.

wouldn't*, even.
>>
>>51359217
Tiefling College of the Muse Bard (Mercer Class). Has always heard voices since he was young, the voices tell him evil stories and attempt to manipulate him to kill others. As a way of coping with the stress, he sings uplifting tales and manipulates the sound of the world around him to bring happiness to others. When he hears voices he can be a bit irrational and can easily misread people in his stress.
>>
>>51360494
Alright the thing about Death Whisper is that you can just walk into town and murder any random commoner of your choices and kill him by whispering a word and no consequences and blinding smite still requires you to hit and use a spell slot which recharge on long rest.

Less stuff resist psyhic than radiant. But more have immunity to it. I think instead of outright change a simple refluff as darker smite could work. I mean even oathbreaker still does radiant damage.
A teleport with attack could work or expanding on your shadow cloak. Situational but thematic. Make the oath what you want it to be. The base
paladin gives enough protection.
Finally give it a weak feature. All paladin oath have a feature that is just meh and one that is awesome. Ancients CD sucks but level 7 feature is awesome opposite to Devotion who's
Sacred weapon is amazing while level 7 aura is meh.
>>
>>51359881
Death Whisper is too easily spammable, especially when you do it at the end of your turn. Needs to be reworked.

Midnight's Chosen is slighty too strong. Is it aura based like Pass Without a Trace or is it target based like Seeming? Just regular advantage on stealth checks should be fine. It would be in line with the Trickster domain for cleric. The disadvantage from armor would cancel out. Ebon smite psychic damage flat out is too strong.

Nightcloak is cool. Wording is a bit rough.

Umbral Jaunt seems a bit too protection heavy with it's reaction. It might feel better if it was more like Benign Transportation (wizard). Maybe swap as an action then make an attack as a bonus action? Similar effect but very different feel. (Offensive vs defensive)

Living Nightmare is a bit unexpected. Big, flashy, meaty distraction is the opposite of shadowy, tricky, and vicious
>>
>>51361182
You could justify a blacksmith with low strength, though.

They use machinery for part of the processes,
They overseer more apprentice blacksmiths and don't do hammering all day long.
They do have strength in the form of endurance, but their output is limited for a reason such as a disease or some problem from all the many years of hitting stuff, so they're at the point of 'can hammer away at something for hours, but not hammer it like an ogre would smash it.'
They could simply be getting on in their years and have waning strength but still have a careful eye with their craft.

I mean, sure, you'll probably still have 10-12 strength rather than 8-9, and that woman looks like she's on about 12, but at least in hardcore terms when it comes to /5eg/ I'm going to rant on about how for such a character strength, charisma and intellect are dump stats mechanically and how it's fine to refluff a rapier into a sort of hammer.

Hill dwarfs really have very little reason to use strength, and that's more of a design flaw than anything, I guess. But they're not encouraged to go on a class that relies on dexterity either, their dexterity would always be more of a secondary stat.
>>
>>51361319
Why does this guy have enough material for things to be known as "Mercer Classes?"
>>
>>51361492
I think there was another Muse archetype someone else made so I just made sure to mention the creator.
>>
>>51361544
I don't know 3rd party stuff, so I need to know what it does. I'm not going to go look it up myself.
>>
>>51361492
It's not because he has a lot of stuff, he's just independently famous (VA and the DM for critical role and most of the WotC celebrity games) and runs his stuff by the WotC staff so it's basically UA.
>>
>>51361492
So far I think he's only published two things out on DMs Guild - the Gunslinger Fighter and the College of the Maestro Bard. I think the "Mercer Class" thing is just one dude explaining what he's talking about. That said, they're launching a (unofficial) campaign setting book for Critical Role at GenCon this year. There's bare minimum gonna be a Sorceror archetype in there too.
>>
>>51361571
It's an archetype built around buffing through a pseudo-Superiority dice system except it uses inspiration. Flavor-wise they are able to change and manipulate the sounds of the world around them to create music.
>>
File: aa_sm_by_bryansyme-d9ar24b.jpg (211KB, 486x1000px) Image search: [Google]
aa_sm_by_bryansyme-d9ar24b.jpg
211KB, 486x1000px
>>51361323
>thing about Death Whisper is that you can just walk into town and murder any random commoner of your choices and kill him by whispering a word and no consequences and blinding smite still requires you to hit and use a spell slot which recharge on long rest

It's a Channel Divinity, though. By definition, CD's can only happen once per short rest. PHB 85 explains that.

Killing randos in town is less than ideal, sure, but that's more than likely going to be a problem with a player, than with a character. Given that having someone randomly drop dead in the street would be obvious, that could also be seen as a violation of your Oath.

>I think instead of outright change a simple refluff as darker smite could work. I mean even oathbreaker still does radiant damage.

Yeah, that's still pretty weird to me. I wouldn't be opposed to using radiant, if that didn't mean I'd have to somehow refluff it as "radiant darkness."

Hard to justify refluffing something as the opposite of itself, while still being itself, y'know?

>Finally give it a weak feature. All paladin oath have a feature that is just meh and one that is awesome

Even if core tends to be a bit swing-y, I'd prefer to keep everything at least baseline useful. If I can avoid making one ability AMAZING and another one shit, and instead have them both feel kinda good, that seems like ideal design to me.
>>
>>51358761
That's totally fine. I believe you can't use Martial arts with a Greatsword since it only counts as a Kensei question and not a monk weapon. You'll miss out on flurry of blows and a couple other things.
>>
>>51361578
He's also made an entire class which is actually really good even though it was initially made for a one shot with Vin Diesel.
>>
>>51361319
A pick (for an instrument) made from a strange green material. When used with a string instrument, your proficiency bonus becomes the minimum number you can roll on a bardic inspiration die.

The pick is cursed and amplifies the voices, occasionally casting Suggestion on you to do what the voices say.
>>
>>51359217
Dwarf, Knowledge Cleric of Waukeen, day-trader and seeker of old and forgotten knowledge.
>>
Hey guys I just balanced dex.
"you can't benefit from a shield while wielding a finesse weapon."
It's literally perfect, if you think you see a problem you're an idiot.
>>
>>51361784
What's Waukeen's portfolio?
>>
>>51361774
http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf

I don't think it's balanced for regular player characters.
>>
>>51359217
Drow, Rogue (with a dip into Warlock enforced by the DM).

He's technically died twice now and fears death more than anything else. The first time, Lolth saved him to be a tool on the surface, and he decided to serve her so well that she'd make him an exarch, whereupon he'd turn on her, kill her, and steal her divinity, before proceeding on a full omnicide so there'd be nothing left to kill him.

Then he slipped up and got sacrificed to Vhaeraun, so now he serves him instead as a Warlock, with the exact same plan.
>>
>>51361774
The idea behind the class also helps fill a niche that's mostly missing right now in 5e: a class that deals elemental damage along with it's physical attacks.

It's basically a Bloodborne-esque monster hunter with the archetypes focusing on letting you mingle with eldritch powers, not!ghost powers, or alchemical augmentations of your body.
>>
>>51361578
He also made The Bloodhunter class.
>>
>>51359491
>charlatan fiendlock
>eldritch blast for his primary damage spell
>rest of his spells for utility and debuffing
>thinking about picking up chainpact

So, you're building a completely standard Warlock?
>>
>>51361740
No, by RAI kensai weapons are monk weapons. They don't address it well in the document, but according to Mearles the point of differentiating is not to limit what you can do while using a kensai weapon, but instead it's actually supposed to prevent you from using monk weapons that aren't a kensai weapon with your kensai weapon features.

Yes it's broken but that's the way it's supposed to work, no pun intended.
>>
>>51361807
I think he's updated it once or twice more since then after having it posted on the DM's Guild (along with a name change from Witch Hunter to Blood Hunter, as they couldn't get licensing approval to continue using that name), so it might be mostly in line with other PHB options.
>>
>>51361848
>>51361849
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's good, but it does fill a niche that isn't really presently there except in a really shitty form of bladelock.

So it's basically 'bladelock but better' with less spellcasting.

Still, from looking at the class, it doesn't look awfully special or to fill any particular role well enough, but there's potential there.
>>
>>51361805
This will sound bizarre, but I don't know what you mean by portfolio.

Waukeen however is the goddess of trade & wealth, no matter which side of the law. She takes interest in anyone that promotes the flow of trade, the advancement of technology, or the trends of fashion, so long as the act of trade was fair and just.
>>
>>51361895
A deity's portfolio is the collection of domains (concepts, not locations) they oversee. The "God of _____, _____, _____, and _____" part.
>>
>>51361925
Ah. Knowledge & Trickery.
>>
>>51361878
Idiot!
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/12/14/are-kensei-weapons-also-monk-weapons/
>>
>>51359501
I like the SCAG deities. There are two fortune deities. Tymora's the goddess you pray to when you want things to go well, while Beshaba is most commonly invoked with the mantra of "don't fuck up don't fuck up don't fuck up...".

Mostly I like that whoever wrote that section clearly liked HBO's Rome, and wrote the deities like the setting was actually polytheistic and people might pray to whichever god seems most relevant at the time.
>>
>>51361887
I think the role it's supposed to fill is DPS, alongside Rogue, Ranger, and Monk, but it does this by adding elemental die to your attacks versus lots of die (Rogue's Sneak Attack), spells (Ranger's Hunter's Mark and AoE spells), and lots of attacks (Monk's Flurry of Blows + other Ki abilities).
>>
>>51361839
>(with a dip into Warlock enforced by the DM)
Your DM is a faggot. There's better ways to do this than removing character building choice.

A pair of "blessed" shades that remove your sunlight sensitivity but also remove your racial darkvision. They act as a Hat of Disguise.

>>51361895
A coin with the symbol of Waukeen on it. It has tooth marks around the edge. You may concentrate on a domain spell at the same time as one other spell.
>>
>>51361958
They aren't actual Monk weapons, they just function as one.
>>
>>51361781
I might steal that for a game, I like the idea of a cursed pick.
>>
>>51361136
I just want to add the Necromancer games stuff.
>>
>>51361154

Considering it's only one player looking to multi into it, I don't find it a problem.
>>
>>51359610
Any suggestions?
>>
>>51362056
It's the Pick of Destiny
>>
>>51361980
Rogue, Ranger and Monk aren't DPS classes. Rather, rogues have some good out of ombat utility and great mobility.
Rangers later get spammable AoE, or have some other utiltiies. Okay, a ranger can be more DPS, but..
Monk is maybe DPS early on if they get good dex, otherwise they're mostly stuns and CC.
But they can all put out decent damage output.

So, generally, unless you're putting out damage like the fighter does with the extra ASIs and attacks and all that, you kind of want a role other than just 'damage'.

Reading over it, though.. It does seem kind of like a fighter, except squishy. Maybe a bit more damage than the fighter, but still the same combat/non-combat versatility, probably, and the lack of defence seems to hint they won't be so great in melee combat. So with ranged combat.. But then a warlock would be better for ranged combat with their pushbacks and all that.

Huh, then again, I guess the archetypes do offer some things. Increasing dex score by 2 on a ranger..

But in the end, it still just doesn't feel.. Special enough. It's not bringing anything interesting, just mixing together some elements of rangeriness, fighteriness and roguiness?

Well, whatever, it's still feeling like it has more place than pugilist at least, and doesn't look to be overpowered.
>>
Got two problem players.

1. I've mostly resolved. He's new, edgy, and argumentative, always derails due to nagging/doubting/wanting to see my rolls

2. Know it all - will race me to answer any question and go at length. I frequently have to just talk over him. Extremely bitchy toward the new player.

>party finds chest
>600sp, potions and a statue worth 40g
>says I claim the statue
>leader(new player) says we should sale it for supplies and equipment
>knowitall says fuck off its mine, they begin to argue ooc and they drop it

What would you guys have done?
>>
>>51361366
>Death Whisper is too easily spammable, especially when you do it at the end of your turn. Needs to be reworked.

You can keep trying it till it works, but it's still going to eat your bonus action every turn. And, when it finally works, it'll eat your CD, and you can't use that again until you take a short rest.

A more effective use of a paladin's time would be to use Blinding Smite until they think the target is in Death Whisper range, and then use Death Whisper until it functions.

>Midnight's Chosen is slighty too strong. Is it aura based like Pass Without a Trace or is it target based like Seeming? Just regular advantage on stealth checks should be fine.

Target based, like Seeming. If you're cashing in a CD on it, I'd really like for heavy armor to not negate your advantage. It'd be nice to not have the option feel conflicting with the class itself, y'know?

Genuinely not sure if it's too strong. Darkvision + adv. on Stealth seems about reasonable for a CD, far as I can tell.

>Ebon smite psychic damage flat out is too strong.

Comparing creatures from the MM, this anon >>51361323 had it right. Radiant has 4 resisting creatures, 0 immune, while psychic has 1 resisting creatures, and 10 immune. All in all, it's a less efficient damage type than radiant, which is why the choice with necrotic exists.

Does psychic damage interact with another class or type of monster in a way I'm unaware of? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not seeing it.

>Nightcloak is cool. Wording is a bit rough.

Yeah, that's definitely something that needs streamlining.

>Umbral Jaunt seems a bit too protection heavy with it's reaction.

Yeah. I wanted that one to feel like a paladin ability, but like other anons have said, it doesn't jibe with the rest of it. I'm not sure which way I want to go with it, honestly, and it pretty well represents the conflict between what this option is and what a paladin is.

Cont.
>>
>>51362103
It wouldn't be a problem if everybody took the level because everybody would be cheesing the system so everybody would be as cheesy as each other.
Then again, I wouldn't really call it cheesing because I'm pretty sure they officially recognize you shouldn't be using UA revised ranger as a dip class.
>>
>>51361781
Tenacious D is GOAT
>>
>>51361366
>>51362221
>Living Nightmare is a bit unexpected. Big, flashy, meaty distraction is the opposite of shadowy, tricky, and vicious

This is reasonable, too. I think a Sneak Attack style damage-dump ability could be a good replacement, though it would feel less shadow-magicy than Living Nightmare.
>>
File: Pick of Destiny.jpg (95KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Pick of Destiny.jpg
95KB, 500x500px
>>51362129
Haha.. wow I have not seen that film in ages, still works well though!
>>
>>51362188
Remind the leader of their party that it's their party and if they think one of the party members is an evil bastard up to no good they can kill the guy and pretend gobbos did it.
Or, more likely, they can go find a better adventurer to adventure with who doesn't try to take all the loot for themselves.
>>
What kind of demon/monster would be pigging out in a dining hall within the hideout of a cult?
>>
>>51362279
Your mother.
>>
>>51361672
I know how channel divinity recharges. Point is its free no save or attack roll needed kill that can be used 2-3 times per day and the downside is you lose bonus action.
"The wounded BBEG use the last of his power to protect himself. His last remaining soldiers for a circle to protect him and he prepare himself to avoid your attacks. LoL I use toned down power word kill and if it fails i can do it again next turn."
I get ya but this is an oath full good features with no downside to it. While the rest have at least one weakness.
>>
>>51362279
My mother-in-law.
>>
>>51362221
>Does psychic damage interact with another class or type of monster in a way I'm unaware of?
its the only type of damage that is not resisted by raging bear totem barbarian
>>
>>51358602
a rothé who dindu nuffin and was a good boy
>>
Per the lore, how do rangers cast spells?
>>
>>51362496
The same way druids do - by being in tune with nature and communing with spirits of the natural world.
>>
I'm running LMoP. The group is about to meet Venomfang. How should I roleplay Venomfang in such a way to give the players an opportunity to drive him away without Venmfang just resulting in a TPK?
>>
>>51362279
Perhaps a Hill Giant or two they enthralled?
>>
File: ripandtear.gif (536KB, 381x512px) Image search: [Google]
ripandtear.gif
536KB, 381x512px
>>51358602

My character is a 5th level bearbarian. He, along with 2 of his party members, was ambushed by 15 wererats.

They should have had it coming.
>>
>>51359881
Overall seems good, but:

1. Midnight's chosen mentions concentration, but it isn't clear if this counts as using concentration on a spell or not. I suppose it is, maybe I'm just being picky with words.
2. Death whisper is, as said by the other anon, a bit cheesy seeming. Unlike power word kill it doesn't outright kill the enemy so something like a troll might stand up again, but usually 0 HP is just instant death for a monster. It's a bit ambitious to give such an ability, but you can probably get away with it, it doesn't do anything gamebreaking, but.. It's a bit powerful when you come across certain things, and the fact that it cannot fail (at worst you lose a bonus action) Is.. Eh. But Paladins could kinda need that bonus action for PAM anyway. I wouldn't say it definitely needs changing, but I won't deny it feels a bit... not-right somehow.
3. Again, I'm not saying it definitely needs changing, but I'm seeing 'Cha mod' on pretty mcuh every relevant ability in some way, shape or form. The only time it doesn't show is on the level 20 ability.
4. Speaking of the level 20 ability, you know if you're large and you have 5ft range you cover a 20x20 area, right?
As opposed to a medium creature's 15x15 area.
A large creature with 10ft range will cover 30x30.
A large creature with 15ft range (polearm, which paladins love) will cover a 40x40 area now.
Just making sure you didn't add the extra range because you thought you needed it to have a 'normal' seeming range.
>>
>>51362572
You could give the party some temporary boon of poison resistance from some source. That evens the odds substantially.
>>
It was a dire wolf. They started it.
>>
>>51362707
>>51359881
4. continued
Or.. Maybe. I think that's how large works anyway.
On with the last point
5. The level 7 ability is a bit unusual for a paladin. All level 7 abilities I know of are constantly active abiltiies, not per short/long rest abilties. It's fine to break the mould, but it does seem a bit unsual and it'd be a shame when I do like having always-active abilities like the auras or the 'move every time you make an opportunity attack' sort of thing.
>>
Why no UA wizards
you said there would be UA
>>
Could I convert Death House to a modern-world setting and have it set in a lighthouse instead?
I plan on introducing some more flavorful elements.
>>
How well would you say someone needs to know the handbooks before they could DM?

I've DM'd a homebrew before and that went well, but I only recently started on 5e as a player.
>>
>>51362328
That's what my dwarven barbarian player named his axe.
>>
>>51362739
They said the next one would be on the 30th
>>
>>51362739
They needed some time to rest after that absolute whopper of a UA last week

Also, it takes time to come up with Wizard features even more busted than the existing archetypes.
>>
Has anyone had any of their characters 3D-modelled? Did you order it? What did it cost? Was it worth it?
>>
>>51363043
Heroforge.com for custom mini
Worth it for me
>>
>>51362298
:(
>>
>>51362586
That could work, thanks.
>>
>>51358956
The same thing that's preventing most people regardless of class from running around murdering people left and right, the desire to not be a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>51359217
Older Hill Dwarf life cleric. Basically the dad of the party, keeps others from dying and burning down forests/buildings.
>>
>>51363058
Just having a look through now.

They're a little basic on hair and poses, aren't they?
>>
>>51358956
>he doesn't sit in taverns with a crystal hidden in his fist directing psychic rays at each one of the patrons in turn and slaying them as they run around in a blind panic, then telling the police "I'm completely innocent" with Occluded Mind when questioned
>>
Playing a dual wielding dex bladelock. My dex and con are both 15/15. Is it worth it to get the Dual Wielder feat or should I bump both those ability scores?
>>
>>51359217

Unicorn Weavetouched (homebrew) Sorcerer

He is a wizard school failure (because he's a sorc) out to understand his powers. The weavtouched archetype essentially gives them more metamagic options, sorc points, and the ability to change elemental types (fire, cold, lightning, thunder, acid). The point is they are way more intuned with magic since they were conceived or born on a magical leyline.
>>
>>51363279
dual wielder increases your average damage per hit by 1 and AC by 1

boosting Dex and Con to 16 increases average damage per hit by 1, chance to hit by 1, AC by 1, dex checks by 1, dex and con saves by 1, and HP by 1/level

Is it really that hard to decide?
>>
>>51363237
A piece of petrified swiss cheese on a necklace. Add goodberry and aura of vitality to your domain spells. You have disadvantage on persuasion checks because you can't resist bad puns and you can't resist any chance to take a figurative phrase literally.
>>
What's the best feat to take to boost int by 1?
>>
>>51363043
>>51363252
Heroforge is very hit-or-miss. There's a good chance it will arrive misprinted or broken, and the details are very vague and blocky on all but the most fragile of materials they use. You might be better off learning to sculpt or 3D model yourself.
>>
File: a murder of crows.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
a murder of crows.webm
3MB, 720x480px
Dragonborn are neat
What classes are they gud with?
>>
>>51363449

Barbarian, Fighter, for the STR bonus and ability do deal area damage. The CHA bonus adds up for Intimidation/Persuasion, if that's your thing.

Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, for the CHA bonus, tho dragonsorcererdragonborndragon is kinda redundant resistance-wise.

Paladin and Bladelock for all the above.
>>
>>51359217
Drow old one warlock bound to Nyarlethotep. He was actually claimed while researching various aberrations instead of binding himself and was shown the histories and futures of the races. He wants to reunite the races of elves to wipe out those races before it's too late but currently has to deal with demon lords trying to escape the abyss.
>>
>>51363387
observant
>>
>>51363449
Their ASI is +2 STR, +1 CHA; they're great paladins, good fighters/barbarians, and solid sorcerors/bards.
>>
>>51359217
Half-elf divination wizard that used to work as a sort of manhunter for the city guard.
Wants to start his own arcane university in the future.
>>
>>51363373
Dwarf puns and dad jokes shall now be added to my characters rp. Also Aura of Vitality is a pretty sick spell, why do paladins get some of the coolest shit to themselves?
>>
File: HeroForgeScreenshot.png (213KB, 1920x918px) Image search: [Google]
HeroForgeScreenshot.png
213KB, 1920x918px
>>51363407
>>51363252
>>51363058
Don't know if I'll order it, but it looks cool modelled nonetheless.

Bit more cartoony and limited than I had in mind, but it's fun giving the imagination some shape.
>>
>>51363588
Even if the character only has common and very few enemies we find speak it?
>>
>>51363643
Why listen to your enemies when you can just kill them? But if communicating with them is really important then go for linguist
>>
This is the story of my first D&D game

>I am invited by a friend to play with his friends he tells me that they are really good at D&D(A DM and a "veteran" player, let's call him Jimmy)

>warned that Jimmy is "on the spectrum"

>Check the classes, I wanna play a Paladin, friend picks a wizard, Jimmy picks a double wielding weapon thief of some made up homebrew race that gives him +3 to dex(also he had elf ears, red eyes and vampire teeth), DM allows it, I can see little Jimmy in his seat grinning and twitching in happiness after being allowed

>Okay anon, your story goes like this, you are a paladin who lives in the mage tower with the wizards, like a bodyguard where your friend also lives, Jimmy on the other hand is part of a thief guild

>Now because we started at lvl 2 everyone can pick a magic weapon or a magic item, what do you want anon

>I am thinking to myself why can't I choose anything about my story wtf but whatever, I reply that I want a magic item

>Okay anon, your helmet can illuminate a radius of 15 feet if you say "light", what about you Jimmy, what do you want

>Jimmy instantly replies "magic weapon"

>Okay Jimmy, you get two daggers +1, one of them does an extra 1d6 fire damage and the other one does an extra 1d6 ice

>I have a miner helmet and he has two powerful weapons right off the bat what the fuck is this game

>I can see Jimmy twitching and grinning looking down at his knees as the DM describes his daggers, to this day I can clearly see his face and the stupid beanie hat he wore when I get angry

>fine, I just hope the story is good, we start outside of the mage tower, in a ceremony without weapons, just religious clothes, the DM starts narrating, he describes that the arch-priestess enters, "she is really hot, like fapworthy hot", I can see the stupid smile in Jimmy's face as he asks "how hot, show an example"

>DM looks in his tablet for a picture of a half naked actress, shows everyone and says "this hot"
>>
>>51363708
>The game starts to get awkward as the DM shows more pictures of the actress to Jimmy and you can clearly see him getting aroused, my friend starts to laugh nervously

>Can we get into the action? I ask as I grow more and more uncomfortable of a man showing another man softcore porn in a tabletop game

>Anon don't kill the atmosphere I am describing the characters... if you want straight out action D&D is not for you, go play CS or something, this is a very narrative focused game

>So the DM describes(again) the arch-priestess entering and suddenly he makes a noise "BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!", you can see Jimmy's eyes widening waiting to hear what is going to happen

>The mage tower collapses in front of our eyes and quickly a new but dark tower emerges from the ground

>So I lost all of my equipment? because you clearly said I had nothing but religious clothes

>Oh right, let's go back in time and pretend that you guys had all of your equipment out

>Arch-priestess tell us "Oh it is the prophecy of Moruas, the evil lord, the prophecy says that he was going to replace our tower by his. Only you heroes can cleanse it"

>Shittiest plot hook ever but whatever we go to the new tower and the entrance is locked

>Jimmy tries to lock pick it, he fails so I say "I kick it down using my strength"

>Jimmy starts screeching and yells "NOOO I KNOW HOW MY FRIEND PLAYS, IT IS A TRAP YOU CANNOT JUST KICK DOORS YOU WILL KILL US YOU IDIOT", he literally gets up of his chair while saying this, I look at the DM and he is looking at me with mischievous eyes like "go ahead and try it" so I say: I do it anyway
>>
>>51363730
>I roll an 18, doors go down a fireball comes out, DM throws a 1d3 to decide who it is going to hit, it is Jimmy, he receives 41 damage

>You can see Jimmy's face change when he realised that he is dead... the grin in his face disappears, and he is looking at me in complete anger... he mumbles a few words which I couldn't understand and then starts looking at the ceiling, the table goes silent

>come on Jimmy it is just a game, Jimmy doesn't reply he just keeps staring at the ceiling

>the DM says: OH WAIT I FORGOT THE ARCH-PRIESTESS WAS THERE, she quickly revives Jimmy with no penalty, you guys can now enter the dungeon

>Jimmy's stupid smile is back

And that guys, was the beginning of my first and worst session of D&D.
>>
>>51363700
Which is part of the reason why I was unsure about observant. Wouldn't keen mind or alchemist be better?
>>
>>51363625
To compensate for only going to 5th level spells. I'm glad you got the dad joke.

>>51363576
You grow a beard despite elves' inability to grow facial hair. It moves of its own accord like an appendage. You gain an extra pact magic slot and gain advantage to Intimidate checks. You learn Mage Hand, and the beard has its own actions to control Mage Hand with.

>>51363619
A magical crystal shard that you can inscribe spells on like a spell book. The inscriptions sink into the crystal and disappear until you attempt to recall them. The crystal replaces your spellbook.

You can touch the crystal to a spellbook as an action and spend a spell slot. The crystal absorbs a spell from the spellbook equal to the level of the expended slot as if you had written it, but for no cost.

As an action, you can also touch the crystal to a non-magical book to copy its text instantly. You can also use an action to project copied text from the crystal onto a flat surface.
>>
File: Krokorai.jpg (299KB, 1216x785px) Image search: [Google]
Krokorai.jpg
299KB, 1216x785px
>Kuo-toa settlement in the middle of a gigantic whale fall surrounded by cold seeps. They're waging a holy war against the local elder things.
>The PCs discover a town built into two enormous skeletons. The bones are impervious to damage and belonged to alien combatants that were both struck down by an unknown third assailant. The locals, oddly enough, don't mind the bones. What they do mind, however, are the frog-like raiders that keep attacking.
>Crocodile-men wielding strange blades have begun appearing in the local mangrove forest. They flee upon being noticed. Their homes appear to be proas, save that instead of logs they use planks sewn together. Coincidentally, beholders have begun appearing around that same forest. All hell is bound to break loose.

Would you use any of these scenarios in your game?
>>
>>51363795

I am totally stealing my PCs getting eaten by a fuckmassive whale and finding a civilization in there. That's pretty cool.
>>
>>51363831
A whale fall is akcshually a whale's corpse sitting on the ocean floor. It can take YEARS for scavengers to eliminate it.

But hey, go full Pinocchio/Jonah. Dat's good shit too.
>>
>>51363875

Thanks for the new vocabulary. But yeah, definitely gonna do a living whale. I'm not so creative.
>>
Had a character have his arm cut off

>have elderly samurai pass the party on a path
>samurai in the party confronts him and challenges him
>RP him as a "too old for this shit" yuan ti pure blood, tells he has acquired enough honor from blood. Mentions that if they fight, he'd effortlessly cut his arm off, it wouldn't be a fair fight
>walks off, PC runs at him and attacks him in the back, misses
>Samurai has high AC, flavor it as a parry
>casts misty step behind the PC
>slices his right arm off at the elbow
>continues walking

Taking a 10 minute break, how to reattach limbs for PC? I normally would not have done that... but the samurai made the threat when challenged and was supposed to be an opportunity to make an ally.
>>
>>51363937
Regenerate spell can do that.
>>
Is there any way to bump my charisma up by 2 or more (permanently, though an enchanted item works) other than by DM fiat or ASI?
>>
How come there's so little Curse of Strahd fan art?

It's the most hype module out there, and yet nothing shows up on google when I write "Argyn Vostholt"
>>
>>51363956
Book of vile evil :^)
>>
>>51363937

Regenerate. Some *massive* healing while attaching the stump, within SECONDS of the severance *maybe*, or MASSIVE healing every day for WEEKS
Divine intervention. Make him sacrifice something personal

Or maybe then just enjoy it as an opportunity for a new character trait.
>>
>>51363748
And hopefully your last session with that group.
>>
Hey lads. What house rules or things I could do to make 5e more punishing like some osr rules.
>>
>>51363937
ROBOT
ARM

also
>literally *teleports behind u* nothin personnel
If you're going off the old Samurai rules from past editions then samurai are always fighting each other for honor, and you don't just go and make such a lop-sided fight out of fucking nowhere. These things are supposed to be winnable by the solo PC, even if it is a real big challenge. Misty step into instant de-limbing is just "you lose".
>>
>>51363764
I think a +5 to passive perception is really good but that's me
>>
>>51364053
You hit 0 HP, you die.

Or to be slightly less punishing, reduce the number of death save failures for death down to 2 or 1.
>>
>>51359217
Half-Elf Alchemist. Was kicked out of the village they lived in for illegally aiding the Fighter with supposedly strength-enhancing potions. The Fighter won one of the bigger arena fights, but someone smelled something fishy and managed to oust them both.

They're both going clean now, but the Alchemist still doesn't understand what was so bad about it.
Assuming the upcoming UAs don't change my mind on what I want
>>
>>51364053
DMG has suggestions like Gritty Realism for resting rules, and Lingering injuries rules.
>>
Hey TG. I'm the Anon with the DM that set an archdruid and 25 owlbears for breaking his rail road last night

It occurs to me how we can rather easily survive this encounter, which means it will backfire horribly and you lot usually do nothing better than criticizing other people's ideas.

If I cast Invisibility on the Fire Elemental Druid, can't he just take the dash action and brushfire through all the owlbears without ever getting hit with an attack of opportunity, causing them to slow roast to death in just a few rounds?
>>
Does anyone have a good merfolk race? I can only find one and it isn't bad but I want to see others
>>
>>51364077
>Awakened Mystic with 12 Wis
>11 proficiencies
>tell my DM I'm real sorry but he's not allowed to use traps or stealthing creatures this campaign
>>
>>51364148
Invisible doesn't mean you are untargetable to attacks. Creatures have disadvantage to hit you, but they can still "see" you. The power of invisibility is being able to use the Hide action anywhere you are, forcing enemies to spend an action to spot you. Being on fucking fire, though, kind of gives that away.

He could Disengage and run all around without taking AoOs, but that still doesn't save him when the enemy's turn is up and they start making attacks against his invisible ass.
>>
5eg, who would you make as the rival for a kobold artificer (alchemist)?

The kobold hates (and fears) dragons and does not live with other kobolds or scalies.
>>
>>51364250
A gnome.
>>
>>51364121
A magical bandolier made to hold potions. Any empty potion bottle you put in the bandolier refills each day at dawn with whatever potion was previously inside it.
>>
>>51359217
Wood elven tempest cleric raised among human barbarians. He was their tribe's shaman, until he lost control of a northern wind used to hold back an orc scouting party. He has found himself occupying the hole of a tavern roof with a lot of questions to answer.
>>
>>51364261
I was thinking a dragonborn or halfdragon would work better. A gnome has merit though.
>>
>>51364250
A Dragonborn sorcerer who worships dragons.
>>
>>51364070
I already explained the character's motivation.

PC wants to duel samurai, he declines, PC insists. Declines and walks away.

That character was described to have nobles clothes and very decorative and ornamental armor with trace amounts of smoke coming his scabbard.

This NPC has already been hinted to be very powerful and skilled. In both his unnerving presence from insight and his old age while being still being a combatant.

Attacking a person from behind who does not wish to fight is evil. Attacking someone who is obviously stronger than you is stupid. I didn't outright kill him, but I can't just let players run amock with no consequences.

Secondly, fuck you, instant transmission arm cut is classic
>>
>>51364250

A dragonborn paladin of Bahamut, loved and respected by all who know him.

He once swooped in and saved a newbie adventuring party the kobold was a part of, stealing all the glory while (in the kobold's mind, at least) the townsfolk laughed at the idea of a kobold doing anything adventurous or productive with its life.
>>
>>51364204

You can't make AoO on creatures you cant see
>>
>>51364269
A longsword etched with runes detailing a furious storm in an ancient legend. You know booming blade, and you deal 1d12 additional damage when concentrating on a domain spell.
>>
>>51364204

Page 195 of the PHB:

>You can make an Opportunity Attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach

You cannot take AoO against invisible creatures.
>>
>>51364077
Well I already have the highest passive by far at 18 but nobody has survival so getting lost is a bit of a problem although we could get a compass.
>>
>>51364332
But he's on fire.
>>
So.....

Character wanted shrooms

Ok, sure

He now wants to make potions ofnhealing.. with the shrooms

I think this is hilarious. What should shrooms do?
>>
>>51364362

Okay? Doesn't change what the PHB says. If you don't like it, fiat it away, nobody is gonna care if you're a faggot who can't handle the rules.
>>
>>51364403
1d6 psychic damage.
>>
File: Bad Trip (drugs).png (49KB, 486x268px) Image search: [Google]
Bad Trip (drugs).png
49KB, 486x268px
>>51364403

Well...
>>
>>51364362

Invisible Fire
>>
>>51364021
Of course
>>
>>51364453
Owlbears have infravision.
>>
>>51364468
Moshi Moshi
5th edition calling here
>>
>>51363708
>>51363730
>>51363748
I would be inclined to file this away under "things that never happened", but mostly because I wouldn't want this to be true, not because it's entirely unbelievable.

Anon, no game is better than that game.
>>
>>51364468

Not in the bestiary I'm looking at
>>
>>51364556
I left after the first session. Because yes, no game is much better than that.
>>
>>51364678

I had a smiliar one, except the aspie was dumped on us by the store manager.

We sorted it out by dumping his ass out of a Leomund's Grossely Overexagerated Radius Hut at the sessions climax
>>
>>51364775
The aspie here was a childhood friend of the DM so is not like we could get rid of one but not the other.

Looking back at it the DM was worse than the aspie in my opinion so I don't hold a grudge against him.
>>
Hello 5eg looking for some advice. I might be getting into a dnd game for the first time in a while soon, and i'm thinking of rolling a LN tiefling paladin. Assuming point buy, how would you assign stats? Any role playing advice? Also what makes a good paladin in 5e? Mechanically speaking i mean. I've only ever really played barbarians, so i don't really know what i'm doing. Anything i should know before i start? I was looking at maybe multi classing into Warlock at some point for the cantrips and spell synergy. Should I? At what level? Is it justifiable RP wise? If so how? Maybe i'm asking too many questions, i just don't want to fuck up with the new group.
>>
Does the rogues expertise stack with the bards expertise?

Does the rogues reliable talent stack with the bards jack of all trades?
>>
>>51365120

No

Yes

Cha and Str
>>
>>51365120
>Does the rogues expertise stack with the bards expertise?

Are you asking if you can stack a quadruple proficency? No
Are you asking if you can get extra double proficency skills? Yes

>Does the rogues reliable talent stack with the bards jack of all trades?

Reliable Talent turns your roll into a ten, then you add the math, if I'm not mistaken

That means yes, you do add Jack to that
>>
File: 1474580271084.jpg (39KB, 323x360px) Image search: [Google]
1474580271084.jpg
39KB, 323x360px
Which of the 5e Offical campaigns is the best one to come out so far?
>>
>>51365160
Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>51358775
Edgy, but I understand. Did you make sure to suck out the soul, imprison it in a gem, and leave it in a locked box in another plane to make sure?
>>
>>51365120
>>51365146
>>51365158
Read Reliable Talent, when you add your proficiency bonus. Jack of All Trades allows you to add HALF your proficiency bonus. Thus if you are not proficient in a skill you do not get to use reliable talent even if you are half-proficient with it.
>>
>>51365232
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/11/do-remarkable-athlete-or-jack-of-all-trades-trigger-reliable-talent/

Adding half your proficiency bonus is still considered as adding your proficiency bonus--just in the case of Jack of All Trades, you do some math on it before it's added properly.
>>
>>51365158
So you get up to 8 double proficiency skills. Good to know.
>>
>>51365253
...Well shit. That seems almost stupidly powerful.
>>
>>51365225
>leave it in a locked box
Never have untied strings. Extract the soul, then feed it to any creature that eats souls.
>>
>>51365160

Out of the Abyss, out of the ones I've played. I've yet to finish Lost Mines, or play HotDQ, RoT or SKT.
>>
>>51365160
I haven't played a single one but everyone says is either out of the Abyss or CoS.
>>
File: Getter crossarmed stance.jpg (622KB, 778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Getter crossarmed stance.jpg
622KB, 778x1000px
Is there any way to play an Evil aligned character without pissing off the party? I'm tired of rolling Good and Neutral alignments.
>>
>>51365369

NE - Selfish jerk just trying to get by, others don't matter really, but you have no problem using them for your own protection

Or LE and just don't let anyone know your master plan
>>
>>51365369
Its hard but its doable as long as you are Lawful Evil. Roll up Oath of The Crown. Obey the laws to the extreme and go full judge dread. This bandits does not deserve to live, they have surrendered but they judgment is dead. Abuse the law for your own gain or obey to the word with cold emotionless interpretation.
But be ready to make compromises for the sake of keeping the party together.
>>
File: [Eurobeat stops].gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
[Eurobeat stops].gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>51365447
>>51365457
Is it really impossible to play a Chaotic Evil character?
>>
>>51358602
First time DM here who hasn't played in 10 years since 3.5.
How do I get get all of this information in me?
I feel a little overwhelmed, especially after getting the whole Mega Trove.

For example, a friend I have who is eager to play wants to play a warlock Goliath.
I think that sounds pretty cool, but then having to know information about the warlock is daunting, while also needing to pull up a second PDF in relation to his Goliath.

How do I compile information in a convenient manner?
How do I take it all in?

Essentially, how to I get good?
>>
>>51365474

Have you seen Dorkness Rising? The sorc is chaotic evil
>>
>>51364309
He deserved punishment for being retarded, yes, but dismembering PCs shouldn't be done lightly. You could've gotten the same message across by instantly knocking him out or even poking one of his eyes out.

Also, there's a difference between a classic and something so profoundly cliche that it's more often used as a joke than not.
>>
>>51365474
No, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for other people who are not CE to want to hang around you if you are actively working to become more CE or hold steady there. It involves either not doing good, lawful things while the rest of the party is, or offsetting all of those actions with several crazy evil ones.
>>
Anyone know any good - and up to date, come to think - character sheet generators? OrcPub and AideDD aren't working out well for my newbie players.
>>
>>51365527
Sounds like a lot of work. Dang.
>>
>>51365528
The 1st chapter of the PHB.
>>
>>51365369
Evil isn't necessarily friends with other evil. If your character and the party have a common enemy, you can just use an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" argument to join up with them. Evil also doesn't need to be murderhobo. A clever person can be evil and not murder anyone, or steal anything. Actions have consequences, and living within the law is easier than living outside it. Be cold, be ruthless, but also cooperative and reasonable.
Some of the most fun I've ever had was playing an evil character in a party full of LG and NG. Two paladins, a fighter and a ranger. Me, NE rogue. It took all of three sessions before I was the official party face and the paladins would turn to me for guidance. They disagreed with me a lot on what should be done, but having a guy who was pragmatic to the core out to save the world helped tie the party together, and after the adventure was done the surviving characters remained lifelong friends.
>>
>>51365474
Listen Chaotic Good can become annoying, Chaotic Neutral is 99% the trouble maker but Chaotic Evil? Its guaranteed shits storm.
Simply a character who is generally selfish(evil) and complete lack of any code of conduct other then I do what I want(Chaotic) can't work with heroic oriented characters.
It can only work in ala The Joker brings together other villians to take down the justice league.
>>
>>51365581
>>51365570
Damn. Guess my chaotic evil guy isn't going to work too well then. I might go with >>51365457
idea then. It sounds like fun at least.
>>
I really hope we get the Mystic UA after the wizard.
>>
>>51365553
Considering the vast majority of campaigns involve being heroic and doing a good thing, yeah, it does take a bit of effort to deliberately be a shitty person, especially when you are surrounded by people who don't want to be shitty and law enforcement that punishes shittiness.

CE is one of those alignments that's really just not going to play well with others, especially outside of the Evil spectrum. Most cases where people say they had a party where it went just fine are cases where people (including DM) were just bad about alignments. For example:

You can have a CE/NE/LE character who never really does anything Evil and so remains in the good graces of his group, but he's just shifting out of the alignment so there wasn't much of a reason of having him there in the first palce if you were never going to play that aspect of the character up. The "redemption" storyline or whatever only works great when people see you kicking around down there for quite a while; if you've already made the decision to be good, there's nothing but backstory separating you from a character who was created with your goal alignment in mind and performs the same actions.

And you can have a party of Good guys palling around with the Evil ones, but if the Goodies know the Evil are Evil and the Evil are constantly DOING Evil and still Good sticks around (or, on the flipside, Evil hasn't fucked off to do the same shit but with other Evil people who give them less hassle for it) there's a 99.999% chance that players are just letting all of this shit slide for the sake of party unity and downplaying the extent to which a character would care because
>but he's mechanically powerful or I think he's funny OOC and I don't want to fuck up the game
>>
>>51365557
I mean, yes, it works, but something to automate the process, with options for the other books, would be useful.
>>
>>51365581
>>51365570
This is why my few evil characters have been Lawful Evil. We wound up with an outcast Drow at our table too and the player after a few sessions asked me if I was sure I was evil.

Yeah. Self serving and knows you need to be kind to be cruel. Hell we just took a survivor Frost Giant in SKT then methodically crippled one hand, removed his eye, and then broke his spirit to bring a message to his Jarl. To abandon his raiding of the North or we'd be coming for him next.

Then an angry NPC threw him off the side of the mountain for said Frost Giant's role in the sacking and murdering of a town where said NPC's friend lived.

When this guy invariably comes back, frosting and spoiling for revenge, I'm going to purposefully not care who he is or his beef with us. What man cares a out the paper and ink of his message after it's already been sent.

...we are selfish assholes, but so far effective.
>>
>>51365725

I'm in a group right now with a Ranger who straight-up murdered three people last session and is pretty much a paid assassin, and while I and my character and everyone else at the table would prefer to not hang out with this fuck, it's going to be a whole production to tell his player to cool it or for our characters to have a talk with his or just vanish on him one night. We kind of need our fourth man for the game.
>>
>>51365615
You can be chaotic evil in a good party. You just can't be a murderhobo dickthief asshole.
Evil, at its very core, means that you're willing to cause harm to others to gain boons for yourself. Chaotic can mean that you value freedom as a virtue, or struggle with authority figures.
How I would do this is that you're selfish and tend towards cruelty. BBEG wants to drown the world? You don't want that, you live in the world and can't breathe water! Oh, and neither can anyone else, you suppose. You're not stupid, though. You recognise these new companions of yours as the "do good" type, so you'll try and get along with them until the world is saved. After that, it's every man for himself.
But maybe you form friendships with them during the adventure and decide that you'd rather keep that friendship than betray them. Evil doesn't want evil as a neighbour, because evil neighbours will try to exploit them. Evil wants a good neighbour every bit as much as a good guy wants a good neighbour, because the good guy says hi in the morning and offers to help you carry your new couch into the house.
>>
>>51365615
Look at Belkar from that Order of the Stick comic. That's a decent example of how you can do a CE character in a good party. Be very useful to them and have a character plot of gradually turning towards good from their influence.
>>
Damm why did the fucking elfs shit all over the place?
Banshees? Cursed elfs.
Ghouls ? Cannibal elfs.
Harpies? Hearth broken elfs.
One eyed ork god? Elf god with bow and arrow.
Underdark is filled with assholes? Elfs.
Cursed giants in the underdark? Elf war.
A race of hunter-gatherers force to flee into the underdark and turn savage? Elfs forced them,
>>
>>51365263
I guess next game I'll play a Bard/Rogue and be the face of the party.

Arcane Trickster (12), College of Lore (8).

Bard only up to 5, then up to 12 in rogue. Allows to pick 2 (up to) lvl 5 spells from any school (also get that reliable talent as early as possible). If you have other spells in mind that can be picked earlier that

You're gonna need 12 intelligence (as your wizard spells will only go up to 2). The rest goes into dex and charisma. I guess you'll pick wizard spells that don't require DC.

3 wizard cantrips and 3 bard cantrips...

Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Shocking Grasp (AT), Vicious Mockery, Thunderclap and Minor Illusion.

Do touch attack spells get your spellcasting ability or dex/str?
>>
Next UA will feature Lich option for sorcerer
>>
>>51365897
elves are dicks
>>
>>51366009
Source?
>>
New dm here.

Trying to get my party to work together. Had my first session ever two weeks ago and I gave them a chance to come together. Had two pc's meet in a forest at a temple not far from a farm that was being terrorised by a giant that had wandered from the hills. Two other pc's came to hunt it and collect a bounty. The two others heard the fighting and came to investigate. After coming together they just ignored each other and after constantly hinting that they are all aware of each other now, there was little to no interaction. One of the bounty hunting pc's made his way back towards town to collect the bounty while the other bounty hunter pc followed. The two others were trying to figure out more about the temple.

Long story short, the other two found a piece of metal lodged between the giant's teeth and they all made it to town eventually and I'm planning on creating some npc's that will hunt the rest of the party for that particular metal piece as it is a piece of evidence that can incriminate political figures.

But what are some tried and true methods of getting the party "together?" I didn't want the entire party to just "end up" together. I wanted them to have certain goals to accomplish and feel like after meeting up with the party that they'll be able to fulfill those goals by fulfilling a major goal that is beneficial to them as a group, like a main quest.
>>
>>51358602
>What's the last creature your character, not your party, killed ? Can you really say they had it coming ?
A demon who abducted and killed teenage girls from a boarding school. Threw some Holy Water at the fucker when it turned into black mist, trying to recover from a beating. Puff, there it goes.
Felt very good, mangs.
>>
>>51359217
Half-Elf, Barbarian, Path of the Zealot.

He was the youngest son of a noble family in a city that revered the god of war. He was an incredibly timid and peace loving so his family had the grand cleric curse him, so he ran away. He now flies into rages in battle and has proven remarkably hard to kill but hates every moment of it.
>>
>>51364914

So can I get some help here or no?
>>
>>51365300
True, true. Though those are relatively hard to find. Warlocks have an easier time of it, but for the everyman working the field soul-eating creatures are few and far between.
>>
>>51366278

The political figures know (or assume) since the four were involved they must know something. Now there is a bounty on the party in this kingdom. The first part of the quest involves escaping with their lives into the nearest other kingdom. They have a much better chance of survival together than apart.
>>
>>51366374
Go to the local inn and ask any hooded strangers in the corners if they know of any nearby hags.
>>
>>51366399
Sounds really good. This can be a great tool to move my party north and find a particular landmark that will set off the main story line.
>>
File: lookatmyanimalcompanion.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
lookatmyanimalcompanion.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Why are dinosaurs so boring in 5E?

>Creatures older than dwarves, elves, and even the dragons themselves.
>From a time that mammals of all not only forget, but forced themselves to forget.
>generic damage sponges.

Why? Why not put some effort into their creation?
>>
>>51365725
I play CE as a NE but with more purpose than greed or power lust. Grand machinations of tearing down the establishment or of letting true freedom of might makes right lead them. I played my last one as a commie warlock
>>
>>51366465
Because dinosaurs are mundane animals, who are generally just generic damage sponges.
>>
>>51366465

Because that's what dinosaurs are. Really big piles of meat. The only good ones are raptors, and only if you go full Jurassic Park with them.
>>
>>51365897
Because elves evolved from fey, and fey are the worst.
>>
>>51366465
Humans are older than elves and dwarves aren't even from Faerun. Kenku are older than dragons (and made them). What makes you think dinosaurs need to be special?

If you want magical dinosaurs, play Mystara.
>>
Is it a given that I'm suppose to junk my inteligence stat when having a barbarian character?

>>51365447
>master plan
>>
File: dwarves stronk.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dwarves stronk.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
>Get told to watch the Dragonlance movie because it sucks by someone here
>Flint punches a shield so hard it explodes

Oh, I am not regretting this at all.
>>
>>51365447
>Or LE and just don't let anyone know your master plan

Do you also have to be the biggest guy in the party?
>>
>>51366402
That only works if the soul you're trying to trap is evil though. Not that many evil little girls.
>>
>>51366659

Only if you plan on bringing the whole party down with no survivors.
>>
>>51366635
Most of the time yeah. Mine's got a low Wisdom for character reasons but Intelligence is a very rare save and only one person needs to be good at it.
>>
>>51366635
No, but not dumping it doesn't really give you anything either. Int saves are pretty rare and barbarian gets too few skills to waste proficiencies on stuff it doesn't need to fight or move.
>>
File: sex.jpg (71KB, 600x777px) Image search: [Google]
sex.jpg
71KB, 600x777px
About to start on Horde of the Dragon Queen (and hopefully progress to RoT eventually), want to play pic related. Thinking of going full moon druid and grappling the shit out of everything in wolf/bear form. I've heard that druids are shit after a certain level, so I'll probably multiclass into something else down the road. Thoughts?
>>
>>51366690
Nah, most hags would love it if you knocked on their hut with the offer "I'll give you a soul to eat and I don't want anything in return."
It's as if you're handing a fattie a free Big Mac.
>>
>>51366364
Think about the Oath and how it interacts with your character, if he ever doubts it, how it guides his life, what's the purpose of his adventuring.
Could give proper advice if you specify which Oath it is.
>>
>>51366750
Nah but legit, the spell they use to do it with is an impartial judge, and it only removes the soul if the target is evil.
>>
>>51366737
Don't try to emulate a fighting game character in D&D. It will only end in tears.
>>
>>51365369
Play a character instead of an alignment.
>>
>>51366737
It's a shame STR based monk isn't an option yet, better yet an unarmed Barbarian option.
>>
>>51366776
Yeah, I just read Volos and it turns out my DM homebrewed hags.

My DM's hags make deals with mortals in exchange for souls. Doesn't have to be the soul of the guy making the deal, or even of his family, but since hags love making people miserable the number of souls needed increases exponentially the less emotionally devastating the soul's loss is.
If she gets a soul, she conducts a ten minute ritual and eats it whole. The soul is devoured and can never be returned.
There are two aspects to this:
1. Hags enjoy making people miserable.
2. Hags eat souls to feed their immortality and magic.

So with my DM, you absolutely could kidnap a little girl and give her soul away for free to a hag.
>>
>>51366690
Children are sociopaths (independently verified scientific peer reviewed source: http://thoughtcatalog.com/brad-pike/2012/07/children-are-tiny-sociopaths/), and sociopaths are NE.
>>
File: yep.jpg (27KB, 386x262px) Image search: [Google]
yep.jpg
27KB, 386x262px
Threadly Reminder:

You require the DM's permission take any of the 'exotic' languages.

Which he should rightfully refuse unless you have a particularly compelling reason.
>>
>>51366462

It also gives you the opportunity to have them find out in town, fight some town guards, and escape on (stolen) horseback into the night. Assuming they don't just stand and die.

What's the party like?
>>
>>51366917
I agree, except when something specifically mentions you can pick "any" language, or explicitly mentions exotic languages.
>>
File: trex.jpg (48KB, 550x298px) Image search: [Google]
trex.jpg
48KB, 550x298px
How do I make Dinosaurs more interesting in my 5E campaign?
>>
>>51366917
>Elemental is written in Dethek/Dwarven
>Elementals have been around before literally any other race on Faerun
>Dwarves are from another planet / cosmology entirely
what a fucking coincidence
>>
>>51366943
Give them more abilities/actions that fit the dino. In my campaign, I had a small rex encounter with a lair action that would cause deafened or prone condition due to its loud, menacing and intimidating roar.

You ever hear a lion roar? Shits terrifying and you can feel your insides shake.
>>
>>51366765
Thank you for the response. I haven't decided to be honest. It's between devotion and vengeance. It's gonna come down to what happens in game I think. Assuming there isn't provocation I'll probably go devotion, but given the opportunity if it makes sense roleplay wise I'd like to go vengeance.
>>
>>51366943
Play Monster Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdHHPa_foXk
>>
>>51366874
Would be fun, but we gotta do it the old fashioned way. Can't just be palming children off to old ladies for pittance and hope it works. Nah you gotta fling them into the depths of gehenna and hope they don't return. Though at a certain point, the soul of a confused child hurtling through the infinite abyss of a strange grey plane is probably just not gonna make it back.
>>
>>51367001
Good idea. We could surgically implant a ring of sustenance into her and amputate all her limbs too. That way she's guaranteed a lifetime of falling.
>>
File: pepeglas.jpg (52KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepeglas.jpg
52KB, 657x527px
What's the difference between dragonborn and half-dragons?
>>
>>51366820
Akuma Barb if you don't want to put the work into changing pugilist.
>>
>>51366917

Celestial - because I'm a good cleric/paladin
Abyssal/Infernal - Because I'm an evil cleric/paladin of X god
Draconic - because I use arcane magic
Sylvan - Because I'm a druid, ranger, or spirit oriented barbarian
>>
>>51366943

Use them as mounts.
>>
File: helldrink.png (32KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
helldrink.png
32KB, 429x410px
>>51367020
>>51366911
>>51367001
>>51366874
>>51366776
>>51366750
>>51366690
>>51366402
>>51366374
Alright /tg/, we're already fully into sociopath roleplay. What is the best way to eternally torture someone even beyond death in D&D 5e
>>
>>51367033
Half-dragons are the kid of some pervert who thinks he's Zeus.

Dragonborn are mary-sue bullshit.
>>
File: fist v3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
fist v3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51367038
>Someone posted my shit homebrew
feelsgoodman
I made a more trimmed down version, though it's still questionably balanced at best.
>>
>>51367033
from what I read in the PHB, Dragonborn are a natural branch of Dragon that happened on its own over time.
I have no clue what a half-dragon is in 5e.
>>
>>51367082
To be honest, giving someone a ioun stone of sustenance, chopping their limbs off, and tossing them to eternally fall in an endless plane is probably pretty good. I doubt it would take many years before the ioun stone rotating around your head constantly really starts to annoy you.
>>
>>51367108
I would post pugilist but I want to change it around, make some personal edits, and trim the fat a bit before that.
>>
>>51367045
>Depends on your rank
>Depends on your rank
>Depends on your training/rank
>Depends what kind of Druid/Ranger/Barb you are
>>
>>51365615
>>51365474

Better yet, don't let your character's alignment, and your preconceptions of alignment, restrict your decisions so that you have a dysfunctional character.

Alignment should be descriptive, not prescriptive. Your character didn't just pick up and read an instruction manual for being Chaotic Evil unless they did; rather, they do and believe things that make them Chaotic Evil. You should figure out what those things are for them.

And remember that your evil character still has a sense of self-preservation, and they certainly act in their own self-interest. This is where so many evil characters fail and die a quick death. They put themselves at unnecessary risk simply to commit evil acts until it kills them, and while that's certainly very evil, it's also suicidal. You can have an evil character, without performing frequent, flagrant acts of evil to remind everyone at the table that your character is evil. You can have an evil character that does the right thing for the wrong reasons, even a Chaotic Evil character.
>>
File: TN-Aule_the_Destroyer.jpg (316KB, 924x1399px) Image search: [Google]
TN-Aule_the_Destroyer.jpg
316KB, 924x1399px
>>51366951
Silly anon Dwarves were created by Aule before the races of elves and men, everyone knows that.
>>
>>51367135

Just seems pointless to me. I have never heard swahili, but there isn't any reason I couldn't go find a book that teaches it somewhere. I don't even have magic.
>>
>>51366009

That'd be nice. Take a nice ol' dump on that Warlock there
>>
>>51366009
I would like to see a Sorcerer that got bonuses to actual undead summoning. At this point most sorcerer builds are blasters even though sorcery points offer some cool options with spells.
>>
PC wants to eat souls for his fiend pact

how to make this a thing?
>>
>>51367243
Tell him to stop being an edgy fuck then refluff the Temporary HP from killing things as absorbing their souls.
>>
>>51366982
Just make sure he has a sort of moral code he abides by and you'll go fine.
>>
>>51367243
Give him a weaker version of Necromancer Wizard's Grim Harvest feature, maybe with temp hp lasting an hour or so instead. That way the feature can be used in a combat, but has no lasting effect, and you can easily render it useless too.
>>
>>51366765

So does >>51366982 help, or is that still not specific enough?
>>
File: 72WWBXF.jpg (105KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
72WWBXF.jpg
105KB, 1920x1080px
>>51366651
Mmmmm, this isn't in any way shape or form conspicuous-looking.
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pugilist Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51367130
>>51367108
Found the changes I want to make now I just need to find a way to edit it
>drop street smart and rabble rouser
>dig deep moved to 13
>bloodied but unbowed moved to 4
>moxie-fueled fists to 7
>fancy foot work and shake it off removed
>drop everything on peak physical condition other than the ASI
>possibly something with Fighting Spirit I think this should possibly trim fat and balance it a touch. I'd compare it to barb rather than monk.
>>
>>51367273

Sorry, missed this. Thanks. Suggestions for morals that might be appropriate?
>>
>>51367307
>>
>>51367082
Giving them to a GOO could be pretty bad.

But then there's the chance they come back and go New Phyrexia on your ass.
>>
File: 1387713305322.png (124KB, 373x344px) Image search: [Google]
1387713305322.png
124KB, 373x344px
>>51367206
>Learning a language from a book

Can tell you only speak one.
>>
>>51367317
Play an adept of stoicism. Might be fun.
The easiest Pallock multi to justify with rp is oath of ancients/fey pact
>>
>>51359217
Human monk, Kensai with samurai dip
I vow to never kill again
>>
>>51367467
And?

That's even worse considering all those groups very likely have people specifically to teach you the language of the gods/spirits
>>
Help me name my fire genasi rogue.
>>
>>51367539
Ashes
Ember
Smoky
Blaze(it)
>>
>>51367539
Look up islamic/ottoman names.
>>
>>51367638
If I show up with a fire genasi named Muhammad Muhammad I'm either going to get a lot of laughs or not asked to come back.
>>
>>51367539
>>51367577
>>51367638
Look up the islamic/ottoman translation for fire-related stuff
>>
>>51367669
I mean a legitimate ottoman name, not a meme. All the genies are MENA/islamic themed and efreet have a Sultan. Come up with a legitimate ottoman name then just shorten it down for regular conversation. Or better yet, since you're a rogue, you only have the first part of your name and are trying to hunt down the rest of it which means finding out your entire lineage as well as adding onto it with your accomplishments. Literally make a name for yourself.
>>
>>51367704
>I mean a legitimate ottoman name, not a meme

11th hour Ahmed
>>
File: 7632423423432123.png (1MB, 1518x672px) Image search: [Google]
7632423423432123.png
1MB, 1518x672px
If I'm playing a Land Druid is there anything I can reasonably use my bonus action for? I don't have Shileighlaehglehg or Magical Throwin Rocks. Only other things I can think of are Healing Word and moving Flaming Sphere around. What else?
>>
File: 1479121703691.png (917KB, 1024x1297px) Image search: [Google]
1479121703691.png
917KB, 1024x1297px
What are some of the edgiest characters /5eg/ has played with?

Anything from the joke character to the 7th grader's sonic OC is accepted.
>>
I'm a forever GM but I'm finally getting a chance to play in a practice session for a friend of mine who's getting into GMing. I just can't decide on a character to play!

Anyone have any good character ideas for a free level 5 character? Anything from the splats or unearthed arcana's are fair game. I'm not looking to break this guys game or anything, and don't want to ruin things for the other 3 players who are all pretty new.

I'm thinking I might even wait till monday for the sorcerer arcana.
>>
>>51368017

Batpony warlock from Transylneighnia. She was a lusty bitch who use her exotic wiles to woo her way to the top and eventually ate the mayor of the town she was in. Turns out there was a demon with the same plan who went batshit when I got there first, so nobody could even blame me for it.
>>
>>51368050
Play support Wizard, do the tricks from behind and let the new lads get the spotlight.
>>
>>51368017
Twenty-six year old Starbucks employee in my group showed up with a Long Death Monk/Rogue. The character was a NE ninja who worshipped an evil god and adhered to a strict doctrine of monk life that, among other things, compelled him to torture cats. The guy had a sack of cats with him whose sole purpose was to be tortured every morning and evening as part of his prayer ceremony to worship his god.

He would also cut off the wings/heads of various creatures we fought and drink their blood, another part of his prayers.
>>
>>51368139

That's a good idea actually. Any recommendation for a school? Also, wouldn't Bard be better for this?
>>
>>51368050
Eldritch Knight. Quite fun, quite effective, and won't overshadow anyone.
>>
player wants to use this... I'm not a good judge of balance, can anyone tell me if this is broken?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyF1G_gPg
>>
>>51367470

Thank you, this is actually giving me a lot of ideas.
>>
What are some multiclasses that would be good if not for extreme multi attribute dependency? Assume you had as high stats as you needed.
>>
>>51368017
A gnome necromancer that would try to murder npcs if he was left alone with them, steal items sometimes in plain fucking sight, piss on defeated enemies and once killed a baby 'by accident'. Wasn't even part of the group, he was just playing with us while he was back home for the holidays. Still can't believe our GM let that shit fly. Now I hate to believe a stereotype based on only meeting one person but he was enough to make me believe the whole 'all gnome players' shit.
>>
>>51368185
Did he have a reason for not just using the UA version?
>>
>>51368017
Half Orc Paladin that hated humans and would skin faces and sew them into a war banner
>>
>>51368398
With as high stats as needed? Bladesinger mixed with Barbarian or Monk for having 25AC could be amusing.
>>
>>51368447
He just asked if he could use it.
>>
>>51367539
>>51367704
http://www.20000-names.com/male_arabian_names.htm
http://www.20000-names.com/male_akkadian_names.htm
http://www.20000-names.com/male_assyrian_names_4.htm
http://www.20000-names.com/male_babylonian_names.htm
http://www.20000-names.com/male_turkish_names.htm
>>
>>51368517
probably monk because you can't cast spells while raging and it provides movement and cunning actions with only 2 levels.
I rolled really great stats and wanted to try something that I would never be able to try again
>>
>>51368185
Looks like it expands on the Artificer to make it more dynamic of a builder class in general.

Alchemist still looks unimpressive sadly.

Mechanist looks interesting, though that requires actual playtesting to see how busted all that modding can get.

Gunsmith looks unmodified for the most part. The modder may have accidentally listed a buff twice on the gun modding part.

The big balance issue is going to come from magic item crafting, just by merit of having a glut of magic items for everyone. If you as a DM are okay with players having a lot of magic items then it shouldn't be too bad, however with the V. Rare/Legendary chart you're gonna have to restrict what is available to him since you can enter one hell of a dimension of exploitation.
>>
>>51368425
I miss my gnome Cavalier. He loved to drink and fight.
>>
>>51358602

The last session I played I killed the final in a trio of hags at the very end of the session in a big boss fight. I had an enemy next to me and made two concentration checks to cast a cone of cold to stop her from running off and making another trio later. I had to stop playing after that, so I'm happy my last fight in the campaign was a fun one.
>>
>>51368153
I have a feeling that behavior is less about gratuitous violence, and more about cheesing the system to ensure he always has full temporary hitpoints.
>>
>>51368521
Looks like the main difference between it and the UA one is the subclass that makes a robot sidekick so I assume he wants to do that. I really can't be arsed to read through all of that so beyond just usual comments of its a homebrew so it is probably shit I will point out any homebrew subclass that has rules text that long probably has something stupidly broken hidden away in it somewhere.
>>
>>51359217
half orc fighter (champion)

ex-mercenary and sole survivor of a mercenary band, now adventurer, solo work for hire
>>
>>51359217

Tiefling pallock. Oath of the ancients into fea patron. (I'm really really starting to like this idea. Many thanks to the helpful anon who answered my questions.)
>>
>>51368919

Ah crap forgot the concept. Paladin cleanses deamon worshiping witch coven. Finds baby. Takes it back to the monastery. Baby is jist told it was found as an orphan. Raised as devout servant of x. Goes out to spread light and joy. Some sort of meme!norse/gaelic live love fight type deal.
>>
>>51368017
A Warlock who strung people up from the rafters and painted landscapes with their blood using a scalpel. He then hung the paintings (all sunsets) in his successful doctor's practice.
>>
>>51368447

tragically short of perfect spell progression?
>>
New thread?
>>
What's the best familiar mechanically for a non-chain warlock?
>>
>>51369064
New thread.
Thread posts: 384
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.