[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I encourage my players to be creative? Every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1485156363013.jpg (54KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
1485156363013.jpg
54KB, 648x486px
How the fuck do I encourage my players to be creative? Every time I give them time to RP, or plan, or do anything creative they just sit there like lemons.

>From your knowledge of these creatures, you assume they will probably attack after sunset. Is there anything you want to do to prepare in the few hours you have?
>Well we wait until sunset I guess?
>Don't want to make any preparations? You have time, plenty of spells or actions could give you an edge in the coming fight.
>I take a short rest then

Its great from a planning perspective, because I know exactly what these chucklefucks are going to be doing at any given moment, but I don't know, sometimes I just want to be surprised, you know?
>>
Find them a setting or a style of play that actually suits them rather than doing whatever you are now.

Once they're invested in the campaign they'll start being more creative.
>>
>>51357717
Sounds like my group, it's depressing they all went for max damage builds and can't be bothered with anything that isn't just combat, even preparing for combat is too much downtime.
>>
>>51357717
You're not pfoviding them with any things that could be prepared, expecting them to figure something out on their own in the empty void that is your game.

If they actually liked your game, they would at least be trying their best.

Also, even if they say they like it, they're probably lying to not hurt your feelings if that's how they act in game.
>>
>>51357732
Well obviously I could just start running a generic dungeon grind, but that's not something I or they want (I put them up against a long dungeon and they said they stopped enjoying it after a while).
What it basically boils down to is that they seem to want social elements, but none of them are creative or involved enough to think things up on the fly so it just turns into me acting 'at' them rather than 'with' them.

>>51357748
These guys aren't even min-maxers, they have pretty fleshed out characters and actually play pretty well in-character. Its just that they never seem to sieze the initiative, every time I stop narrating to give them a chance to jump in we just get a few seconds of awkward silence before I feel obliged to start up again.
>>
>>51357778
Switch it up completely then. You're thinking too small. If you're running D&D or Pathfinder or something right now, switch to a Sci-Fi campaign, setting and system, or a Horror one, or post apocalyptic.
>>
>>51357802
I can't see how that would solve the problem though. Wouldn't they just freeze up in the same way that they already do?
>>
>>51357867
What I'm getting from your group is that they're disinterested in the game and don't feel like putting much effort in to explore the campaign. If they had a setting they enjoyed with characters that they enjoyed playing you might see them actual put the effort in.
>>
>>51357915
Hmm. I suppose its possible. I'll pitch some alternative settings/games to them and see what they think in that case.
>>
Moxie on down to /osrg/, we'll tell you what's what.
>>
Honestly, the way you've phrased the situation may be part of the problem. "You're going to get attacked at sunset" is the situation, you've explicitly told the players that's where the railroad is taking them (into "the coming fight" with said creatures) so it's not really surprising they're not looking outside that box. Maybe word things a bit differently. A small change like:
>From your knowledge of these creatures, you assume they will probably be active after sunset, but will be inactive and lying low during these last few hours of daylight.
could open up another option in their minds: they could wait for the creatures to come out after dark, or they perhaps could try to ambush them themselves before they venture forth. But if you effectively tell your players you've decided that the next thing that's happening in the adventure is a fight at sunset, they'll probably just wait for that to happen.
>>
>>51358374
That was actually a fictional example, some of the players peruse /tg/ occasionally, and I don't want them to know that I'm complaining about them on a Mongolian finger painting site.
I do usually try to keep options open with narration, but actually that railroad style is actually partially a product of the problem.
>From your knowledge of these creatures, you assume they will probably be active after sunset, but will be inactive and lying low during these last few hours of daylight.
If I were to try something like this, they would most likely just wander around looking for this fight that I had promised them. Maybe I'm being unfair to them, but open-ended situations are often met with blank expressions until I give more concrete hints about where they should go/what they should do.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.