[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system best suits manly brawling in a game? Also stat him

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: Kiryu.jpg (211KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Kiryu.jpg
211KB, 600x337px
What system best suits manly brawling in a game?

Also stat him
>>
Feng Shui, Final Stand, Legends of the Wulin, all good depending on the degree of over the top and crunch you want to work with.
>>
>>51356139
How about in a contemporary setting?
>>
File: Final Stand.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Final Stand.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51356177

Feng Shui and Final Stand are both contemporary by default, and I'm currently running a modern LotW game so it transfers over pretty well.

Might as well link Final Stand, it's a really fun little beer and pretzels martial arts game that I'm not sure you can actually find anywhere online anymore.
>>
>>51356177
I'm pretty sure all of those at least work in contemporary settings... I distinctly remember that Feng Shui has (action movie) stats for shotguns.

Anyway, I'd do it Lasers and Feelings style, except switch it to Manliness and Compassion.
>>
>>51356187
>I'm currently running a modern LotW game so it transfers over pretty well.

How the fuck do you get people together for that game? I've tried dozens of times to suggest LoTW and nobody ever bites.
>>
>>51356210

I'm probably just ridiculously lucky. I found a group of people who really enjoyed the system and who were willing to get through the atrociously awful editing and rules problems to find the phenomenal game beneath, but it was a huge amount of effort from a lot of people to really get it running smoothly.

Works like a fucking dream when you get through to it, but the bad editing just makes the barrier to entry way higher than it needs to be, especially given that LotW is already a little hard for people to get into given it has some really unusual mechanical assumptions that go against what's intuitive from other systems, like rolling first and declaring actions second.
>>
File: weishenismuybien.jpg (237KB, 1900x1069px) Image search: [Google]
weishenismuybien.jpg
237KB, 1900x1069px
>>51356120
>Stat him

Inferior
>>
>>51356259
Yo, if you ever get an opening, mind getting back to me? Always wanted to play it.

>>51356287
Objectively false, and this is coming from a Sleeping Dogs fan.
>>
>>51356120
GURPS Martial Arts.
>>
>>51356120

On stats for LotW I'd go with this as an External, it seems to line up thematically damn well, refluffed to be 'formal training refined by brutal combat' rather than raw combat skill. http://wulinlegends.pbworks.com/w/page/58158649/Titan%20of%20the%20Streets

>Qualities
>The 'style' known as Titan of the Streets is not really a formal style. Rather, it is a collection of techniques and methods developed by the thugs and toughs of the cities of the world. It is not graceful in the slightest, but it is a powerful and aggressive style that works surprisingly well. Practitioners favor knives or heavy clubs when they use normal weapons. Often, however, improvised weapons such as cart wheels, large fish or cobblestones are preferred. The style has no true origin or founder, and it is learned largely by doing.
However, it is pretty common to see a Street Titan leading gangs, and it is not a rare style at all, despite its lack of formal tutelage. It is a style that is practically designed to be learned in street fights and back alleys...or would be, if it was designed. Some say it is simply the natural form of combat pushed to its limit, and that it had no inventor at all.

>Laughs At
>The Titan of the Streets sneers at formality and education. Styles which rely on complex or overly formal and ornate moves have no chance against it! Likewise, the Titan is accustomed to tight spaces and bad situations, and laughs at styles which rely on traps to defeat it! Who can truly hope to trap a stray dog in its own home?

>Fears
>Its aggressive and untutored nature mean that patient and reactive styles have great power against the Titan of the Streets! It fears such styles, for they do not rely on tricks and traps, but simply handle its raw blows. On the other hand, those who are too quick are impossible to catch with the powerful but slow moves of the Titan! Thus, it also fears styles which rely on speed. While its blows may be powerful, how can the Titan strike the wind?
>>
Wanna play a john woo movie? You wanna fight like 12 guys at once and it not take for fucking ever? Wanna be drunk and still making good stories? Want a system that can be articulated pretty much in every setting?

Mother fucking Wushu.
>>
>>51356347

Wushu always seemed to miss the point of the genre. The system is so goddamn light there's literally nothing there, there's no real choice or meaningful difference between actions, you just say cool things until you have the maximum number of dice and then roll.

At least, that was the impression I got of the version I read. I've heard people mention that there are ones with a little more crunch, but I've never actually seen any.
>>
File: hkat!2.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hkat!2.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
>>51356347
Obligatory 'play a John Woo movie' game.
>>
>>51356362
It all depends on the players in my experience. Good role-players make it excellent, min maxers make it shit. it's a good barometer for those who care about stats over story.

If i'm gming i keep in mind how the players are acting and make encounters that shitwrecks them if they try something too fancy/stupid/ridiculous.

If i'm playing, i keep it somewhat believable that the threat is still there.

It is very light, but that's what i enjoy about it.
>>
>>51356436

I guess it's just a style thing, I feel like for something like a John Woo movie the combat should feel impactful and significant. That sort of storytelling puts conflict at the center of its plot, how you engage in a fight and express yourself is one of the primary ways of defining your character and affecting how things play out. Without any real meaningful distinction between options in combat it just all feels really flat and uninteresting to me, without any real drama or tension.

I get that it's all about the RP and the fluffing, but it's like... I can RP and fluff things up all on my own, I don't really need a system if that's all I want to do. Instead, having a system that presents me meaningful and interesting options to make that are in line with my fluff and character choices, giving weight to my actions and letting them have tangibly different results is what I look for. Which is why I love LotW. The only rules heavy narrativist game I've ever come across, but I fucking adore it.
>>
>>51356423
I don't understand.
>>
File: Yakuza6.jpg (154KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza6.jpg
154KB, 1920x1080px
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.