[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

True Detective like game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: true_detective_art.jpg (222KB, 1024x1480px) Image search: [Google]
true_detective_art.jpg
222KB, 1024x1480px
Are there any systems out there that can sort of replicate the feel of True Detective? I've been told that Delta Green might make a good choice but I was wondering what other people thought.
>>
Call of Cthulhu?
>>
>>51348703
I think it would be tough to balance the story to have just that minor touch of Mythos elements without being full on CoC
>>
File: Saturn Devouring His Son.jpg (8MB, 1661x3051px) Image search: [Google]
Saturn Devouring His Son.jpg
8MB, 1661x3051px
>>51348703

Unknown Armies! The second edition is quite old now, but I believe 3rd ed is on its way. Give it a look. The street level stuff is very True Detective and you can simply leave the weirdness undefined and avoid the wackier parts of the meta.
>>
>>51348703
Call of Cthulhu.

Unknown Armies is too magical.
>>
>>51348703
Trail of Cthulhu might be up your alley.
or Esoterrorists.
Basically anything using the Gumshoe engine.
>>
>>51348703
DG or Call of Cthulhu would work
>>
>>51349354
Unknown Armies 100% if you stick to the street level stuff when it is normal folk with wierdness around trying to figure out what the fuck is happening and maybe getting a glimpse of how fuckin odd things really are behind the scenes.
>>
>>51348703
Blue Book only World of Darkness is simple, but if you're just looking for simple and flexible then GURPS is the best answer memes aside.

If you're looking for straight up Lovecraft, it's hard to beat CoC. It's done a lot of the legwork for you, too.

Unknown Armies is more complicated, but better. It works best for modern weird fantasy.
>>
>>51349354
>Unknown Armies is too magical.

I disagree. Street level doesn't need to be magical at all. The core systems are great for tension, high stakes conflicts, and drive.

Haven't played 3rd edition yet but the 2nd is a damn fine game for gritty violence and psychological drama.
>>
Delta Green, the new standalone version.

>>51348830

The newest version of DG steals the best mechanics out of UA and adds stuff to represent your mundane relationships falling apart as you spiral.
>>
>>51348703
yes, delta green
>>
>>51348703
the basic rules are free, and really all you need to play

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/175760/Delta-Green-Need-to-Know
>>
>>51350662
>simple
>GURPS
nice maymay
You are correct about core WoD though. Get 13th Precinct for specific cop stuff and Armory for gear and you're ready to go
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.