[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Point buy character creation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: gurps character.png (7KB, 249x203px) Image search: [Google]
gurps character.png
7KB, 249x203px
I've been wanting to do a homebrew game with a point buy system. Was looking at GURPS, but I don't really like the feel of the system. I don't really like the dice mechanic. Also a little too crunchy, and I want combat to be a bit simpler and gentler.

What are some other games with point buy character creation?
>>
What kind of thing do you want the game to do and be? Specifying that kind of thing is important. There are fucktonnes of games with pointbuy generation but it all depends on what you want to achieve and focus the game on.
>>
Point buy CC is a feature that's largely standalone from the system otherwise. So just start with creating the basic system, and once you know what stats the characters are going to have, what the ranges are for them, and so on, then you sit down and make the CC system.
>>
>>51338543
The idea I had was a medium to lightweight game where all the players are weird monsters. Along the lines of Digimon or Pokemon.

I want a point buy system to give players a lot of room to create really weird unique monsters instead of just modifying some stock archetypes.

I'd like a combat system with a decent amount of depth, but still fairly forgiving. More on the side of "gameism" than "realism".

I don't need detailed equipment, or skill mechanics. Monsters might wear hats or throw rocks, but they're not gonna be using crossbows or enchanted swords. Some monsters might be better at running or talking or whatever, but they don't need lockpicking and bribing skills.
>>
>>51338637

Mutants and Masterminds or Valor might suit you, they're superhero-ish pointbuy systems with solid combat and a lot of power variety.
>>
>>51338521
>I don't really like the dice mechanic. Also a little too crunchy, and I want combat to be a bit simpler and gentler.
Maybe check out Savage Worlds. It sounds like it fits the bill. Attributes as different-size dice that you directly roll against target numbers or other dice. Skills that enhance rolls. Edges and Hindrances that give you unique bonuses and abilities (or disadvantages).

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg-freebies/TD06.pdf

Also, something in the BRP / Runequest family might be worth a look (they use a combination system of rolled stats that determine your skill bases, but you also get to allocate a bunch of skill points). It's a percentile skill-based system.

http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/BRP/CHA2021%20-%20Basic%20RolePlaying%20Quick-Start.pdf
>>
>>51338521
https://rpggeek.com/rpgmechanic/2100/point-based-allocate-points-get-skills-powers-etc
>>
>>51338678
I've heard of M&M before, but Valor is new to me. Looks interesting, will check it out.

>>51338735
I remember glancing over Savage Worlds a while ago. Definitely seems like the right balance between lightness and depth.
What's the combat like? How lethal does it get, and how much does it ramp up as characters advance? Is it best with minis and maps?

BRP is not really the kind of thing I'm looking for. I want more than just skills and abilities. I want to be able to spend points on awesome powers, frustrating disadvantages, etc.
>>
>>51338637
Wild Talents is a point buy system with a very easy to understand and almost free form dice system. Building a character and their powers can feel a bit esoteric because they're so fluff based as opposed to the crunchy nature of most point buy systems but it's strangely intuitive once you get the hang of it. That might sound bad, but it allows for an enormous degree of freedom for creating your character which sounds like something you're looking for.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.