[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /tg/ I came up with the idea of gathering my mates and play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: fa5.jpg (125KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
fa5.jpg
125KB, 1024x577px
Hi /tg/
I came up with the idea of gathering my mates and play some RPG. Problem is none of us done this before. I will be a gm and need some basic resoures on how to start. They want to play some fantasy and i heard that the Warhammet Fantasy is quite easy to get started. Any suggestions or general tips?
>>
>>51338518
Play Dungeon World or D&D 5e instead.

Whatever you pick, just read the GM book all the way through and pick a pre-made adventure. Do that, and it's pretty hard to fuck up.
>>
>>51338548
Ghe thing is that it turned out that one girl in the group has some materials and played WH. Is WH much harder than D&D? Also WH seems more interesting than DnD that seems ultra generic
>>
>>51338634
Get her to GM, then. At least for the first session.

Or just borrow all her books and read them thoroughly. But be prepared to get constantly interrupted by "sorry anon, I think you're doing this wrong. You're actually supposed to add their combat proficiency bonus, not their combat skill modifier." And then you realize why all your monsters were killing players in one hit and have to fix everything you prepared.
>>
>>51338676
She played this really long time ago so it doesn't matter who GMs i think. But the basic idea is to just don't let players do anything stupid and following the scenario, at least for the first sessions?
>>
>>51338518
Play FATE

https://fate-srd.com/fate-accelerated/get-started

Light on rules, heavy on beer-drinking bullshit. You've all seen LOTR, so "act like those guys" is all you should need for setting.
>>
>>51338518
You heard wrong.
Avoid DW and D&D 5e, too.

Fate Accelerated is easy enough, but since it's a generic system, you need a solid idea of what you actually want to do with it, because the game won't help you with that.

If you want a proper tutorial for GMs and players alike, Ryuutama is designed for exactly that.
Both sides have a progression system that gradually introduces new elements and the two sample scenarios in the book break things down even further.

Apocalypse World (the system that Dungeon World incompetently tried to copy) might be worth a look, too.
If you don't mind some post-apocalyptic goodness and the admittedly unconventional tone of the rulebook, AW has actual rules for the GM that make running a sandbox a cinch.
>>
>>51338758
>don't let the players do anything stupid
Players are players. If they go off the path and you didn't prepare anything it's your fault. There's no problem in helping them tactically, tho, in case they have some stupid idea most likely to blow on their faces. Otherwise, accommodate for original thinking.

Play D&D 5e. Doesn't matter if your friend has played WH before, YOU'RE the DM. Run Curse of Sthrad or Lost Mines of Phandelver, they are good, solid, hard to fuck up adventures with just the right amount of balance between linearity and discovery.
>>
>>51338758
No no, definitely let the players do stupid things. Try to make sure that they're following the rules, but when they try to do stupid stuff, let the be awesome (or suffer the consequences).

Like, if a player says "I want to grab his hand and use his sword to cut out his own eyes!" don't say "no, you can't do that, that's stupid." Figure out how you can use the rules to let them do what they want to do. That's why you read the whole book and not just the simple parts! So you can say "ok, here's what you need to roll to make a grapple maneuver to grab his arm. Ok, now you can make an attack roll using his sword. 7 damage, you miss his eye but give him a nasty gash on the side of his face."

The scenario is to make it easier on the GM, so you don't have to come up with monsters or NPCs on your own. Don't feel like you have to make sure that the players follow every single step of the scenario. It's not like a videogame story where the player has to do exactly what the NPC says or they get nothing. It's totally cool if they come up with some creative way to avoid fighting the boss or steal from the guy they were supposed to help. Just try to roll with it, and modify the scenario if you have to.
>>
>>51338518
Everybody is going to tell you that what everybody else suggests to you is bad, and you should play this other game instead. As a noob, you, unfortunately, aren't in a very good position to evaluate their advice and choose between the games they recommend. So I have more of a philosophical suggestion: go with something ultra-light to start out with. It won't contain advice on GMing, but that tends to be relatively game-agnostic anyway, and you can pick up ideas from any number of different places (besides, it's ultimately just playing pretend and that's something you should be able to bluff your way through). But the rules will only amount to a few pages, so there will be less to get hung up on, and you won't have to pore over manuals that number in the hundreds of pages.

And it honestly doesn't matter if it's the greatest system out there. At first, you'll just be learning how to master the dynamics of running a role-playing game, and the nuances of the mechanics shouldn't make that much of a difference (as long as they aren't so heavy that they keep tripping you up, and since we're talking about an ultra-light game here, that shouldn't be a concern). And if you ultimately decide you don't like the system or want to try something else, that's fine. You haven't invested a huge amount of time, so there's no real sunk cost. You can move onto another ultra-light game, or to a more substantial system, having used the first system as training wheels.

Anyway, the image is one such system, but there are plenty of others.
>>
>>51339379
Here's Streets of Marienburg. Light RPG based on Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
>>51339995
Also, Lasers and Feelings is probably worth mentioning. Perfect if your group likes Star Trek. Probably the best single-page RPG. You can play through a whole adventure in about 30 minutes.
>>
Thanks for all suggestions!

I decided to play the default scenario from 2ed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, I'm in the middle of first read-through and gave directions to players. We will see if this is our cup of tea, will post results and thoughts after playing (in about 2 weeks)
>>
Here's some basic resources, mate.
>>
>>
File: backstories.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
backstories.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>51345837
>>51345856
>>51345880

Wow, thanks a lot! These will come in handy
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.