[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dice Basketball

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: cube-1271185_960_720.jpg (96KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
cube-1271185_960_720.jpg
96KB, 960x640px
Someone on a dice mechanics thread suggested the following idea:

There's a cup (or bowl, or popcorn bowl, depending on difficulty desired) in the middle of the table. To do things, the players try to throw dice into it. Only dice that land in the cup count, in which case the number on the die indicates quality of success.

Is this a real mechanic, if it isn't why, and what kind of game should we homebrew around this mechanic? This is like the most awesome beer and chips dice mechanic ever
>>
>>51338094
no this is absolutely fucking degenerate.
stop doing this. now.
>>
>>51338112
>degenerate

Remove the /pol/ from this comment and I agree.
>>
>>51338094
You could make a basketball themed RPG around it. You are a pick up group trying to make it into the NBA. Modify basketball game into dice rolling combat. Could be fun.
>>
>>51338094
Throwing shit into a cup around from around a table is very much a bar activity. It conjures images of sleazy institutions, dim lights, thuggish looking fellows, and a smell of cheap beer, cheaper cigarettes, stale sweat and leather.

So either a generic "lite" game for beer & pretzels purposes, or a game specifically about that kind of atmosphere.
>>
>>51338094
In order to further blur the line between player performance and the narrative, damage to the character is represented by the player taking additional shots. If a player cannot finish his drink, that's when the character dies/is K.O'd/is removed from the story.
>>
>>51338094
I think the word you're looking for is "flip", not "throw". Flip is what you do with, like, a coin or a die, where you launch them with your thumb into a cup. "Throw" is something you do with your whole body, with like a ball.
>>
>>51338190
You absolutely do not ever flip a die, a die is thrown or rolled.

Is English even your native language?
>>
>>51338217
No, Ukrainian.
>>
>>51338112
You know, I'd get it if you said the idea was bad or stupid, but how is it degenerate?
>>
>>51338094
I once thought about making a board where people had to throw dice and apply effects according to how far it landed from the desired spot on the board.

but then again that was a skill-based mechanic in a game that didn't require it and was using dice to implement variability.

why would it be a good addition? I thought, and promptly discarded it.
>>
>>51338465
Same as the Tower in Dread. It immerses the players in the narrative by forcing them to physically participate in the game. In Dread, this is to simulate building tension in a horror movie (if your hands are shaking, you're more likely to bring down the Tower, and naturally the Tower becomes harder to pull bricks from the closer you get to the ending).

In this case, I guess it depends on what you want to do with the game. I could see it as being used in something like an action movie themed game. Doing shit requires nerves of steel, accuracy and a steady hand - but the more you take, the harder it is to stay focused (hence you take shots when you take damage).

It's actually pretty cool.
>>
File: space-jam.jpg (43KB, 361x507px) Image search: [Google]
space-jam.jpg
43KB, 361x507px
>>
Sounds like a nice way to mess up your table and dice.
>>
File: caesars legion.jpg (117KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
caesars legion.jpg
117KB, 750x1000px
>>51338119
>>
>>51340042
Is that a furry version of Vulpes Inculta? Because of the fox thing?
>>
>>51338094
Player abilities should raise or lower the level of the dice thrown. Increasing the potential degree of success, and also giving a number of attempts.
>>
>>51340153

scratch the furry calling others degenerates, it's not even an actual fox.
>>
There's some OSR inspired books that include a board where you cast several dice, and where they land indicates something about the result. It just adds another axis of randomness, which might be interesting for some things (ie, number on die indicates which monster shows up, where it lands indicates whether it is hostile, friendly, suspicious, etc)

As a central resolution mechanic, I don't care for it. Seems distracting, and skill at pitching dice into a cup doesn't bring much to the game.

Dread is interesting to me because players can often choose actions that allow them to avoid pulling bricks. But even that is a bit gimmicky.
>>
>>51338190
>Flip the dice senpai
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.