[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scythe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Scythe Germans.jpg (3MB, 2079x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Scythe Germans.jpg
3MB, 2079x1417px
So I just heard about this game and looked into it. It seems pretty cool, but I don't know anyone who's played it. Anyone have any experience? Also, any notion of where to get it on the cheaper end of things?
>>
It's boring as fuck. in b4 another Jakub shill thread
>>
>>51334927
I was told this game isn't about giant dieselpunk mechs, machineguns and WWI aesthetic but sitting in your corner and hoarding resources
>>
>>51335409
Pretty much this. House rules might make it more interactive by removing the "you can only gain two points per game from combat" rule, but I haven't tried that. Admittedly, some people like this type of economic engine game.
>>
>>51334927
I've poster a few wall of texts about it that I now regret I didn't save.

Tl:Dr It's a uneven 4player solitaire game.
It's all about NOT interacting with the other players as the game activly punishes you for doing so and 1 of the factions is slightly better than the others by design to give you an excuse to interact against that player.

Then everything doesn't matter anyway as most of your victory points comes from your secret objective; which is either in your direct neighborhood and you automatically win or It's all across the map and you lose since you'd have to fight people and the game activly punishes people whom fight with resource drain.
>>
It's a really great area control economic eurogame which gets a bizarre amount of hate on /tg/.

For some reason people went into it expecting a wargame despite that never being what it was going to be, but if you take it for what it is it's really fun. The mechanics are really elegant, creating an ever-changing optimisation puzzle that rewards experience but is still open for new players, and the many different paths to victory gives the game a lot of replay value. The nature of the game also changes a lot depending on the number of players.

While the theme is what catches the eye, the mechanics were why I got the game and I was not disappointed. There's a reason it's the sixth highest ranked game of all time on BGG.
>>
>>51337382
>For some reason people went into it expecting a wargame
Most of the art that got people hyped showed giant robots marching against each other and early 20th century troops. Go figure why people expected and wanted it to be focused on war.
>>
>>51337555

'Don't read a book by its cover' is a well known saying. People should know better.
>>
>>51337382
>all of the art is about mech, soldiers, and military leaders with killer animals
>game is euro-engine game that severely punishes combat

Can't really blame them
>>
>>51337620
>falsely advertised product
>"Should'va known better, dolt!"
I bet you advocate preorder industry in vidya too.
>>
>>51337620
>People should know better.
People should know better what to show when advertising their game.
>>
>>51337382
>>51337620
Hi Jakob, still using the same copy+paste I see
>>
>>51337672

It doesn't severely punish combat. It punishes being stupid and wasteful. Combat is an extremely powerful resource that is best used sparingly, in the right place at the right time.

>>51337674
>>51337678

The art is not the advertising. I never saw much advertising for Scythe, and while the bits I saw used the art they also linked to pretty clear descriptions of what the game actually was.
>>
>>51337697
>art is not advertising

Dumbest thing I've read today.
>>
>>51337697
Fuck off, Jakub. You literally copy paste the same stuff every time, and only show up at certain times. We know it's you. Go back to BGG, they love to suck off euroengine games
>>
>>51337697
>The art is not the advertising
What else is it? I'm seriously starting to believe in Jakub.
>I never saw much advertising for Scythe
Somebody posted art from Scythe on my local imageboards I think in late 2014. Guess what it was, giant mechs walking in the fields and national leaders with guns and dangerously looking animals.
>>
>>51337741

For one thing, the art existed for a long time before the game was even imagined.
>>
>>513349

I was initially really excited to play it, but after my group gave it a run last week I can't blame them for not wanting to play it again. It's got some nice ideas and it's a beautiful game, but the gameplay is just bland and uninteresting. There's not a lot of player interactions/exchanges going on, and the actions you're taking turn to turn just aren't exciting. Everything you attempt to do happens at a snails pace, and is easily telegraphed to the entire table.

There also needs to be some better mechanics in play that help guard against players snowballing out of control because once one person gains an upper hand it becomes exponentially difficult to pry that advantage away from them.

The different Player Mats (industrial/mechanical/patriotic etc) that change up how your faction/nation behaves are really cool, but they aren't very good at clearly or actively conveying what they excel at. It's very easy to do poorly in this game because you just don't "get" what makes your faction or player mat effective. Being unable to leverage that strength (whether through ignorance or a shitty match-up for your faction) can put you irrecoverably behind someone who does 'get it'.

To be fair, I played this over tabletop simulator, which was a fucking atrocious experience. I'd assume it would operate a lot smoother and less awkwardly in person.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.