[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 61

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (70KB, 409x400px)
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
"Can /tg/ make the worst adventure module known to mankind?" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

When you find or loot a new weapon the enemy used, and it's more powerful than what you had, what goes through your mind first - Better get rid of it? Keep it to fight more powerful enemies the GM is hinting at? Or something else?

Old: >>51244005
>>
Ever had to marry a nubile young girl to protect her from exploitation? Did you consummate the marraige eventually? Did you divorce her after she was safe?
>>
>>51334794
>when you find a new weapon
if it's xenos shoot it
if it's traitor don't look at it
if it's loyal keep it.
>>
>When you find or loot a new weapon

We've never actually been deep enough in the shit that picking up fallen weapons was needed. Hell, I've gone entire campaigns with my standard kit.
That's not to say we've never acquired weapons, but they were always from loyal sources.
>>
>>51334988
Alternatively, BC edition;
>if it's xenos loot it
>if it's traitor steal it
>if it's loyal corrupt it.
>>
>>51335343
>>
File: 005[1].jpg (30KB, 761x421px) Image search: [Google]
005[1].jpg
30KB, 761x421px
>>51335445
Are you a traitor, or a loyalist?
>>
File: 1422430939447-1.jpg (32KB, 495x778px) Image search: [Google]
1422430939447-1.jpg
32KB, 495x778px
>>51335615
>>
File: post-89322-1268222413.jpg (846KB, 1555x2012px) Image search: [Google]
post-89322-1268222413.jpg
846KB, 1555x2012px
Can you guys suggest some newb friendly play-by-post forums for Dark Heresy?

I've always found w40k lore pretty enjoyable & ever since I read http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/index.html I've wanted to try it. That said, it's obvious that it's unlikely to be remotely as good as the all guardsmen party and the tone will be distinctly different. But still, I can use some grimdark in my life.
>>
File: aoIYfWp[1].jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aoIYfWp[1].jpg
82KB, 640x480px
>>51335678
>>
File: 1474253084012.png (646KB, 1185x2554px)
1474253084012.png
646KB, 1185x2554px
>>51336193
I've been hoping for something like pic related on RPOL.net, but no luck so far. If you find something, I'd be interested AF.
>>
File: xpdpk2B.jpg (770KB, 1920x1080px)
xpdpk2B.jpg
770KB, 1920x1080px
>>51336351

Well, I'll post something if I find something worthwhile. However, I guess I'll be reading the DH rule books first, being a noob & all.
>>
File: 1409726826131.jpg (476KB, 2000x1473px)
1409726826131.jpg
476KB, 2000x1473px
>>51336304
>>
One of the players in the Dark Heresy group I DM wants to make a special snowflake characrer that fights with his bare hands. The problem being that he want to use two talents from Rogue Trader to make his character more viable or stronger. I am kinda opposed to this, considering we have not been playing for very long, and it seems unfair to let him have talents from a different system whilst everyone else is restricted to the core book.

Am I being stupid about this? what are your thoughts?
>>
>>51338400
1d10 impact damage with no pen is overpowered, don't do it
>>
>>51338400
Which talents? Are you sure they're not after talents from Only War?
>>
File: 1383285626086.jpg (146KB, 654x539px) Image search: [Google]
1383285626086.jpg
146KB, 654x539px
>feral worlder is a highborn house
>fine ass chairs around
>best craftmanship
>a fight breaks out
>feral worlder uses chair to beat people
>it is now a 1d10-1 damage, proven (3) with +10 to hit weapon
>>
>>51338455
>best craftsmanship ming vase
>must be a better than average improvised weapon
... Mate.

Maaate.
>>
>>51338425
How bad would it be in a game with mostly lvl 4-5 characters? My main objection is that by giving him acces to Rogue Trader talents, I am opening a whole can of worms with the other players

>>51338451
it concerns Unarmerd Warrior and Unarmed Master talents from Rogue Trader
>>
>>51338400
Absolutely disgusting from the player. If melee is important mono-upgrades aren't expensive or rare. Shock weapons work well if bladed are too dull for him.

>>51338511
About the only point he has IMO is that rank 1 Rogue Trader characters should be equal to rank 5 DH ones, page 34 in RT.
You could slap some prohibitory harsh requirements to take it since those talents aren't available to rank 1 RT characters.
>>
>>51334794
>"Can /tg/ make the worst adventure module known to mankind?"
SO, is there any nice (or awful, to keep the theme) homebrewed adventure module for the 40k rpgs?

>>51338455
Unless your feral world has an ancestral martial art that uses living room furniture, and design their chairs accordingly, no.
>>
>>51338639
>SO, is there any nice (or awful, to keep the theme) homebrewed adventure module for the 40k rpgs?

There isn't. We considered making one last thread.
>>
>>51338569
I've looked into that argument that the player himself also made, that a rank 5 DH character is the same as a rank 1 RT one, and there is a bit of a problem with that I think. The talent he wants only appears as an option at rank 5 for 500(!) exp in Rogue Trader, so if we were to convert that to DH, his character would need to be at least rank 10 before he could even touch it.

I am not gonna allow it, there are plenty of builds that could be used to make viable melee characters, and if he wants a special bare-hand fighter thats his issue.
>>
>>51338690
Nobody on darkreign or ffg's forums made one either?

IMO,we could make it work. A brainstorming session to paint the scenario in broad strokes, then each anon makes an encounter/npc in his corner, and we discuss it again together.
Sure it will be broken, but that's half the fun.
Or maybe someone disappears with the idea and comes back in a few months with a polished adventure.

If /tg/ manages to have decent chapter creation threads or storytimes from time to time, a module doesn't seem too far fetched.
>>
>>51338784
>I've looked into that argument that the player himself also made, that a rank 5 DH character is the same as a rank 1 RT one, and there is a bit of a problem with that I think. The talent he wants only appears as an option at rank 5 for 500(!) exp in Rogue Trader, so if we were to convert that to DH, his character would need to be at least rank 10 before he could even touch it.
Personally, I'd look at their alternative options at the current rank, and whether the option they want is equivalent, overpower, underpowered, or has any particular merits besides combat efficiency.

Claiming "special snowflake" status on 1d10i unarmed alone stretches it beyond the point of "I don't like how thing works" to encompass "I'm grumpy a player wants a non-standard sub-par thing".
>>
>>51338794
Alright. Basic structure of the module.

>players get mission to find out why tithe is shit lately on crap planet
>find out that a lowly clark, somwehre deep in the archives of the city, is moving decimal points
>clark is in debt to guy, who is in debt to guy, who is/ chain of debt, basically
>warlord is using tithe to fill ins private army
>when confronted, freeboota crashes party and his weirdboy starts zapping players and other guys around
>freeboota is angry his promissed 3 regiments were not delivered
>now its krumpin time
>>
>>51339094
Amazingly enough, DH2e has the same talent, built into the core book, and it is not overpowered at all.
OP claiming it's special snowflake to be able to fight decently well with your fists is fucking outrageous.
>>
>>51339321
OP here, I'm honestly not quite convinced that it would be super highly OP or anything, it would end up being about as effective, or slightly less so, than a normal mellee character I think,

My problem with him taking these talents is this: if I were to grant him these talents from another system than DH this would be unfair to the other players in the group. Considering we agreed to stick to the core book for the time being as we are relatively new to the game, and we're gonna introduce the Inquisitors Handbook after the current story-arc. If I would grant him acces to this other book/system I have to also grant it to all the other players.
>>
>>51338639
I've honestly been considering making an adventure module of sorts out of my homebrew Black Crusade planet that I featured in two unfinished campaigns.
>>
>>51339691
> it would end up being about as effective, or slightly less so, than a normal mellee character I think
Compared to a melee weapon, unarmed costs more xp, does less damage, comes with 0 pen, and has no weapon traits.

> this would be unfair to the other players in the group
If the other players want clearly underpowered options, too, they should be allowed that.
>>
>>51339837
>Compared to a melee weapon, unarmed costs more xp, does less damage, comes with 0 pen, and has no weapon traits.
But with lightning strike, double tap, whirlwind of death, two weapon master, death dealer, precision killer and a some other shit you could totally pretend to be Kenshiro.

It's not fair that you guys are talking about fist fighting literally a day after I have been watching Fist of the North Star.

Feral world out cast assassin? Stack weapon skill, toughness and perception? Pick fieldcraft from the outcast background and use the extra fieldcraft from assassin to get defence, then somehow deal with the expensive weapon skill advances.
>>
>>51339267
I think it would work well on some frontier world/ freeport that pays only lip service to the imperium due to being so close to pirates and xenos and trying to stay in the good graces of everyone.
The imperial presence it limited to a handful of corrupted, burned-out or fallen from grace adepts, the governor is on full damage control towards everyone, and warlords conspire with aliens and independantists to gain power.

The players arrive, they have to clean house before figuring who's behind all that, fighting obstructive bureaucracy and useless bootlickers as well as attempts on their life in a first time (investigation)
Then they go up the food chain and can blow up the accumulated steam by blasting baddies (intervention)
And finally the freebootaz arrive for a big final battle. We'd have to foreshadow that part a bit.

Not sure a freeboota would want human regiments, though.
>>
File: OI WAN DAT 'AT!.jpg (9KB, 154x200px) Image search: [Google]
OI WAN DAT 'AT!.jpg
9KB, 154x200px
>>51340505
Cause he couldn't get the hat he wanted ofcourse. And what other payment will an ork accept anyway?

To fight and kill them ofcourse
>>
>>51340505
don't have to be orkz or freebootas though.

Can be boring human pirates or somesuch instead
>>
>>51340381
>But with lightning strike, double tap, whirlwind of death, two weapon master, death dealer, precision killer and a some other shit you could totally pretend to be Kenshiro.
Or, hear me out here, you could get all that shit, but use a power sword instead of a fist, and be roughly 5x as effective with at least 2k less XP investment. Unarmed fighters can be very effective, but your best bet is to play an ogryn pro wrestler suplexing orks, not being Kenshiro.
>>
I wanna make a hiver worlder that hits people with a baseball bat.

Best craftmanship truncheon, possibly adding mono, or just a warhammer, or great weapon and it's just a really serious baseball bat. Great weapon is probably a bit silly.
>>
>>51342928
steal a power-maul from an arbites.
>>
File: Pirates of the Calixis.jpg (735KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Pirates of the Calixis.jpg
735KB, 900x1200px
>>51341011
>>51340505
It's not orks.

The local Necron captain was promised living chess piece for his Cartesian chess game.

He comes to collect.
>>
>>51336351
I've never understood how a GM could make so much continuous combat even vaguely interesting.
>>
>>51343292
the flying dutchman in 40K. I like it.
>>
Why does the Crusader role in DH2 have Knowledge as an aptitude?

Where does that become relevant to the guy who seems otherwise geared for tanking and hitting fear rating with melee weapons?

For that matter, why are Chirurgeons swole tanks with Strength and Toughness?
>>
>>51343527
>I shall tend to your wounds with my Emperor-blessed muscles
>>
File: 1454426812499.jpg (336KB, 746x1382px) Image search: [Google]
1454426812499.jpg
336KB, 746x1382px
>>51343306
>I've never understood how a GM could make so much continuous combat even vaguely interesting.

Did you read the rest of his adventures? I'm going to take a wild guess that he is a popular GM with a cult following. ;)

>>51343527
>For that matter, why are Chirurgeons swole tanks with Strength and Toughness?

No clue what you're on about, since I'm not into the game yet, but:

>Toughness

You need to be alive to treat people. You'll be exposed to all kinds of nasty shit while doing so.

>Strength

Gotta be able to carry your patients to safety and restrain them if necessary?
>>
>>51343292
>necron in DH
You want a TPK, don't you?
>>
>>51343527
Know thy enemy?
>>
>>51334974

Pulled a few favors and dropped her with an Adeptus Sororitas convent. Fairly certain she'll show up as a character once another player's character gets killed, and with a sizable bucket of insanity points to start with.
>>
>>51342928
When did mono-clubs become a thing? And why don't people realize that such a thing is retarded?
>>
>>51344368
>The mono upgrade may be applied to any Low-Tech Melee weapon, but when applied to close-combat weapons that do not use an edge (e.g., hammers, mauls, etc.), it is treated differently. Game Masters are encouraged to come up with interesting definitions for non-edged weapons with the mono upgrade. For example, a hammer with the mono upgrade could be defined as having a pneumo-shock enhancement. The in-game effects remain the same.

>>51340505
One thing I liked in BC was the crazy pirate courts. I would enjoy some of it in a DH game.
>>
>>51337861
The one in the center. Seems same size than the smurf on left. Is a also a spinach mareen? I see no recognizable heraldy asise of Ich bin Inquisition.
>>
>>51346045

Inquisitor, Xenos Puritan named Emil Darkhammer.
>>
a quick questytion. I know I've never seen them used anywhere but on Chimera turrets and Sentinels, but will it be horrible to allow a single multilaser as a sponssoon weapon in an "laser only, final destination" OW regiment ? imagine a Leman russ with long barreled twin-linked lascanon as turret, lascanons or multilasers as sponsons, etc.
fluffwise, i know it is not seen in official codexes, though I'm sure a Sollex heavy-influenced army could be justified. Crunchwise, how does it sound ? too OP compared with flamers/ heavy plasma/ heavy bolters sponsoon or hull weaponry ?
>>
>>51343306
The struggle to stave off oncoming death is the interesting part. Limited supplies, need to improvise solutions, possibly making a difference your next character will live long enough to see, and potential for gallows humour. That's the draw.
>>
>>51346753
You can have sponsoon autocannons, don't worry about the multilaser being OP.
>>
>>51346799
I do know that autocanons is amongst the Holy trifecta od OPness, but it doesn't means that a choice other than Autocanon can't be a tad too much.

Any way, an other question :
- do we have any clues of how many shells and ammo each IG vehicule has on board, for say, the battle canon, or an earthshaker ?
As well, how much promethium/ sacred onguents this bloody vehicles guzzle up ? I don't need precise numbers, but an estimate number could be nice canon wise, for supply depot attack/defense and logistics shenanigans.
>>
What the hell should i read to run a rogue trader game? You know other than the DMG and PHB
>>
>>51347388
Into the Storm
Stars of Inequity
Koronus Bestiary
Edge of the Abyss
Battlefleet Koronus

These are the "all-purpose" splatbooks, I'd say.
>>
Where can I find good tokens and topdown vehicles, and other assets for a 40k RPG game?
>>
>>51347388
>>51347439
To add to this, the books you REALLY need are the Core Rulebook, Into the Storm and Battlefleet Koronus. These flesh out all the rules you need for most game types.

Stars of Inequity has tables for planet generation and a bunch of exploratory plothooks, and a kind of crappy colony system. Also has random loot generation tables, which is kind of neat.

Koronus Bestiary is a list of beasts. Use as needed. A Monster Manual, if you will.

Edge of the Abyss talks about famous worlds, legends, people and so on. Mostly fluff.

Navis Primer has more psychic and Navigator stuff. Useful if you have an Astropath or Navigator, can be ignored otherwise.

Hostile Aquisitions is for illegal stuff and piracy. Some fun stuff, but ultimately not that useful unless you're heretics.

Faith and Coin has really wonky balance, but aims to expand on church, pilgrim and other holy work. Steer clear until you can understand why it's so whack.

The Soul Reaver has rules for Dark Eldar and the adventure is kind of eh.
>>
>>51347585
Are there any tools i can download for making running the game easier?
>>
>>51343687
Your meaning escapes me entirely.
>>
>>51347611
There's a Stars of Inequity generator available, and probably a few pre-calculating character sheets if you need 'em, but not much else.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/80016-stop-breaking-your-teeth-stars-of-inequity-system-generator/
>>
I'm planning on running my first 40k RPG soon, a brief Only War campaign with a squad of Guardsmen going up against Tau and some Orks to rescue an Imperial official. What should I expect? How should I prepare?
>>
>>51347821

Tau weapons will skullfuck normal guardsmen.
>>
>>51347611
Servitor IRC bot is always helpful
>>
>>51347911
Servitor IRC bot?
>>
>>51347831
I noticed. It's a shame that the Tau in the rulebook are balanced to fight Space Marines when in canon they go against Guardsmen almost as frequently. I'm already planning on bumping down the damages significantly, or having them fight lighter Tau infantry.
>>
>>51343306
Various scenarios, probably.

Having nothing but a board and some positions needing to be fought over and minis that don't ever stop showing up would get boring as fuck.

Giving honest-to-God objectives that can be achieved and then change, and thus change the locale, tactical situation, and sometimes even foe can be rather engaging, especially when your objectives are connected and allow a flow of successes or fails to show actual progress (or lack thereof) in a wider narrative.

You can even throw in a "survive for X turns," mission without it getting stale if it were, for example, defending something you just lost a lot of characters trying to take from a counter-attack. Knowing the cavalry (literal or figurative) is on its way may or may not spice up the narrative; as would the potential narrative of knowing that there is not only no cavalry, but your GM is not afraid to kill your characters.
>>
>>51347948

The whole point of tau weapons are they can one-shot basic guardsmen. It's not supposed to be fair. Nerfing them is being disingenuous to the setting.
>>
>>51348242
They don't oneshot basic guardsmen in the lore itself. They're only so powerful in Deathwatch because everything in it is balanced to fight Space Marines. If they didn't do so much damage the players would feel overpowered, even more overpowered than Space Marines are meant to be.
>>
>>51348242
>The whole point of tau weapons are they can one-shot basic guardsmen... Nerfing them is being disingenuous to the setting.
Just like the point of plasma guns is that they can one-shot standard marines, right? Nerfing them would be disingenuous to the setting...wait, you say plasma guns can't one shot marines? Damn, then I guess that ship already sailed a long time ago!
>>
>>51348351
If we're going on "what can realistically oneshot something" nearly every weapon in 40k can oneshot basic infantry realistically. Even lasguns, shotguns, and bolt pistols if the target isn't well-armored. If you're not a Space Marine or some elite monster or encased in a heavy battlesuit or given heavy shields, you die very, very quickly. But an arsenal of weapons that kill everyone in one hit would make for a boring and frustrating RPG.
>>
File: Doing MATH.gif (3MB, 556x242px) Image search: [Google]
Doing MATH.gif
3MB, 556x242px
>>51348351
>>51348428

>Just like the point of plasma guns is that they can one-shot standard marines, right?

Plasma weapons on Maximal inflict 2d10+8 Pen 12. Your average marine has 15 wounds, 10 armor, and 8 TB. Roughly 25% of the time, you WILL kill the marine in one shot.

S7 AP2 will kill a marine in one shot 83% of the time.

Pulse weapons inflict 2d10+3 Pen 4. The average guardsman has 10 wounds, 4 armor, and 3 toughness bonus. Roughly 50% of the time, you WILL kill the guardsman in one shot.

S5 AP5 will kill a guardsman 83% of the time.

Math might be a little off, but it's close enough. Yes, it is reasonably valid to expect a one shot from a weapon. It is not as often as tabletop, but the chance IS there. And even if a one shot doesn't happen, the target will be severely fucked up.
>>
>>51348589
What about two shots?
>>
>>51348589
>Your average marine has 15 wounds
Hahahahaha, no. Your average Marine will have 20-25ish Wounds, CSMs statted as antagonists tend to have 30 or more.
>>
>>51348675

Ah, 20 wounds, you're right. You would need to roll max damage on a single hit with a basic plasma gun in order to one shot a spess mareen due to its unnatural toughness.

>>51348668
On two shots, you're guaranteed on downing a spess mareen on average damage (10.5) and above. But you're not really one-shotting then, in that case.
>>
>>51348737
>You would need to roll max damage on a single hit with a basic plasma gun in order to one shot a spess mareen due to its unnatural toughness.
Don't forget that as Elite-tier enemies, Marines get Crit Damage and have True Grit applying that Unnatural Toughness *again* to their crit damage. Getting a Marine down into crit can be relatively simple. Getting enough crit damage in to actually put them down is another matter entirely.
tl;dr: FFG adhered to Marine fluff and made Marines hilariously, disproportionately hard to kill compared to their mechanical status as tabletop butt-monkies.
>>
>>51347924
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Servitor_Bot
>>
How to RP an Astropath?
>>
>>51349491
Someone who finds an odd comfort in being constantly connected to his fellows in the Warp, but knows that he's a part of a society that barely tolerates him because of his connections to the Other Realm. At the same time, he knows that the equivalent of turbulence may well end in his death.

So in the end you're probably likely to see Astropaths as emotionally invested in their fellows, particularly their cross-Warp "pen pals," while maintaining an overall fatalistic and abused (possibly meek? possibly defiant?) demeanor.
>>
>>51349491
>How to RP an Astropath?
You might have been a noble, or a feral worlder, or a hive ganger, or whatever. But you were a psyker, and you were grabbed by the Imperium and shipped to Terra. You failed your tests to be a Primaris Psyker, but you weren't one of the rejects who got thrown into the Emperor's feeding tanks. Instead, you were shown the Emperor in his full awful, terrible psychic glory, inspiring terror and awe in equal measure, and it was so glorious it melted the eyes right out of your fucking sockets. You can still see it now, the light of the Emperor is always dancing behind your eyelids.

Your purpose is to use your telepathy to communicate, the ONLY way ships and systems can talk to each other at FTL speeds. This means you need to listen to the warp. This is much like putting your ear to the sea to listen for whalesong, except the sea is made out of shouting and teeth and blood, and it occasionally rises to swamp and kill you. It isn't a fun experience, but it is absolutely fucking essential.
>>
So if i only have 3 players. I should just build the rest of the crew right? Such as navigator, arch-militant, seneschal?

Does every rogue trader ship need all of these roles?
>>
>>51350242
ER...

You know that was retarded of me i know navigators are 100% needed. But i meant more like seneschal and void master.
>>
>>51348589
My way of balancing Tau for Guard campaigns is to have the basic Tau troopers only deal 2d10 with no pluses. A lasgun with 1d10+4 with on average deal 9-10 damage, while a Tau's rifle will on average deal 10-11. To make up for penetration I usually let my Guardsmen fight Pathfinders or other lightly-armored Tau with Fire Warriors and others being rarer. I like high lethality campaigns, but I don't like them being unrealistically or uncanonically unbalanced. That being said if they fight a Tau in a Hazard Suit or an Ork Nob or something it'll be unbalanced properly.
>>
>>51350242

There are no real mandatory roles in an RT game. If you don't have a player to fill a specific role, there are generally NPCs about that act in a get-you-by manner. For example, if you have no navigator, there's generally an npc navigator who never comes out of his room and just does his thing. They don't really need stats, and can be treated as narrative objects.

The only one that is arguable is a RT because dat warrant, but even that can be made as "agents of a RT who is too old / sick / busy to take an active role in things." So yes, you can make NPCs to fill in the gaps, but they shouldn't be as active as the players.
>>
>>51350242
>Does every rogue trader ship need all of these roles?
Sort of. You should at least know who fills each of the primary ranks and have a short blurb and description about them. For example
>Lord-Captain: Bob's character, the RT.
>First Officer: Vincent Brimble. Extremely, absurdly British. Magnificent, enormous moustache. His main purpose is to argue with literally everything Bob says to make sure Bob has a clue what he's fucking saying.
>Enginseer Prime: Joe's character.
>High Facotum: Herschel Abramson. Short, no hair, wears heavy robes and carries at least three datapads at all time. His job is to steer the players towards good fiscal decisions and be promptly ignored as they buy gold-plated multimeltas for their personal guards.
>Master At Arms: Malcolm Terris. A former Guard sergeant-major. Has not yet accepted he's an officer now. Yells at everyone for little or no reason.
>Head Astropath: Nicholas Smarrel. Inordinately creepy. Constantly turning up when spoken of. Never speaks above a whisper and tends to float around the ship instead of walking. Definitely not secretly possessed.
>Head Navigator: He has a name, but everyone just calls him The Navigator. Never seen or spoken to, ever, operates solely through servants. The Navigator's quarters do have a suspicious giant fish tank made of opaque metal, though...
Etc.
>>
>>51350440
The thing though is that the Tau have quality vs. the Imperial Guard's overwhelming quantity.
>>
>>51350602
Yes, this is true. It is also true that players generally don't like bringing three spare completed character sheets to the game because they die in a bare handful of hits and are expected to make that up with numbers. It's a perfectly legit play style, but not one everyone enjoys.
>>
>>51350602
Don't underestimate the common Guardsman. In lore and in the games you can do some amazing shit. I've seen Conscripts bayonet down Nobs, Guardsmen in the RPG melee Fire Warriors and win, and other characters survive impossible odds.

With their suits, pulse rifles, and drone recon aside, a Guardsman and a regular Tau trooper are pretty evenly matched in terms of skill, though the Tau tend to get more training thanks to the caste system. Still, battles between Tau and Guard aren't curbstomps in lore. Both sides win some and lose some, and I like to make that apparent in my RPG games.

That being side, I do like lethality. It makes your players really think about what they're doing and it makes them value every action they take, which results in a funner and more memorable experience most of the time, at least from what I've experienced in games I've played and heard from players in games I've run.

It's why to me the Guard is my favorite faction/"race", and I love playing as them in the RPG. It's a fresh break from D&D's high-leveling heroes who get by thanks to feats, magic, or superhuman strength. As a Guardsman, you're a regular guy, just an average joe. If you win, survive, and do badass things, it's because you truly are a badass. Clever, tough as nails, and indomitable in spirit. That's what makes an Imperial Guardsman cooler, tougher, and more "epic" than even a Space Marine in my eyes, on the tabletop, in the lore, and in the RPG.
>>51350633
Bringing extra character sheets is part of the fun!
>>
>>51350758
>melee Fire Warriors and win
That isn't exactly a crowning achievement.

Getting into melee is, but beating them there isn't.
>>
Are forge worlds still built? Like are they still building new ones?

One of my players goals is he wants to find and use a Imperial Knight... how well this will go over im unsure especially because he might just get unlucky and die.

How should i go about this? He was thinking of colonizng a world solely to make a forge world. But also i could just give him a broke down imperial knight that he has to slowly rebuild but like could maybe use it in cases of raiders targeting the ship who are in the hold or something or firing blasts out the airlock or some shit.
>>
>>51346636
Thanks!
>>
>>51351110

Forge Worlds are still built. However, barring extreme circumstances, you're not going to become a knight. For that you need to be born into a Knight House on a Knight world. They don't just give out Knights.
>>
>>51351110
Yes, Forge Worlds are still built. But it requires an appropriate planet and centuries of work on the part of the AdMech. Finding a suitable world and handing it over to the AdMech, with appropriate compensation, is a worthy goal. The Knight is actually a bit trickier.

Knights are gene-coded to their owners. Those that are deemed unworthy to assume the throne of a knight dies rather painfully when they try to interface with it. If he wants to get around that, it'll require some highly advanced and highly illegal and heretical genetic manipulation on his part.
>>
Are there any cybernetic enhancements I can use as a Psyker in Rogue Trader? The core rulebook doesn't have anything as far as I can see
>>
>>51351269
>>51351215
So... i just told him if he somehow manages to get a knight without perishing in the process *unlikely*
he could try and somehow delete the imprints so he can use it. *Also EXTREMELY unlikely*

Also i doubt there are even stats for the damn thing in dark heresy or rogue trader. They are really deadset on this but it may not really come up
>>
>>51351597
> somehow delete the imprints so he can use it.
That's some heresy against the omnissiah right there.
>>
>>51351638
So whats the best fucking way to learn about the mechanicus? So fucking with machine spirits is heresy? I was thinkinh of hiving him massive corruption for attempring any of this shit
>>
>>51351820
Just what is this character in the first place? Are there any other PCs affiliated with admech?
>>
>>51339691
Those talents are available to Ascension level characters, so RAW he can't have them until he's reached the appropriate level.
>>
I wonder, does tg people also suffer from no-games syndrome or here everyone have relative ease finding a GM and a party to play?
>>
>>51351846
Explorator desu i dont know much about the admech and player is new to 40k. He hust really wants a imperial knight
>>
>>51351597
>Also i doubt there are even stats for the damn thing in dark heresy or rogue trader.

The OP has some. Every knight that exists so far is in The Fringe is Yours. You won't find any in the official books, since FFG gave up the license before Knights were a thing.
>>
>>51352261
>everyone have relative ease finding a GM and a party to play?
Literally everyone except you can find a million quality GMs and players at a moment's notice and drown themselves in quality, long-running games that are full of events and characters they will love and remember for the rest of their lives. It is literally only you, and you alone, in the entire fucking universe, that has trouble getting games. You disgust me, you no-game freak.
>>
>>51352330
I'm feeling better already. Thanks.
>>
Does The Fringe is Yours or anything else contain the rule for Titans?
I know there's a Warhound in Rites of Battle, but it's has pathetically weak cardboard armour and shields.
>>
>>51352448

Warlords and Reavers? No, nothing contains those.
>>
>>51352448
No. There is a very simple reason why. The Dark Heresy system (And all other 40krpg games by extension) is laser focused on humans and modeling relatively normal humans having adventures in the 41st Millennium. Everything more powerful (From Marines on up) requires bending the system or a new subsystem to make it work the way it's supposed to. Knights and Warhounds are at the very bleeding edge of how much bending a relatively simple d100 engine will tolerate without something going SPROINK and throwing a cog into someone's face. True Titans with multiple ranged Destroyer weapons, Torrent weapons, and Apocalyptic Blasts, are so far beyond that limit that actually trying to stat and play one would require a subsystem much like RT ship combat, and no one wants to write an entire fucking subsystem and playtest and balance it.
If you are a normal scale character and you are anywhere near a hostile Titan, you are so fucking dead they could bury you in a matchbox, or soon will be, unless you can complete a stupidly incredible and incredibly stupid rush to attach a dozen melta-charges to its feet before it goes STOMPY STOMPY STOMPY STOMPY over your entire battalion.
Titans are plot devices and walking nukes, and should not have or need stats beyond that unless you're running a mass combat subsystem.
>>
File: Uplifting_Primer_Cover.jpg (25KB, 350x625px) Image search: [Google]
Uplifting_Primer_Cover.jpg
25KB, 350x625px
I'm typing up an information page styled after the Uplifting Primer for my group, and it's reminding me how much I love the fluff, detail, and black humor that so much 40k content has to offer.
>>
File: Grav-Gun.png (210KB, 609x279px) Image search: [Google]
Grav-Gun.png
210KB, 609x279px
>>51352587
Pretty much, I agree.
Applying a standard rules to the titans after DH2 came in means the cheeky bastards can now one or two-shot dreadnoughts, titans, terminators, everything.
>>
>>51352587
On a side note, I watched a game in-person where a Guardsman squad with an attached Commissar went into melee with an Ork Gargant, I forget which exact type and loadout, and lost around three men while destroying the Gargant. It actually happened.

Aside from rare moments of badassery and/or sheer luck, though, you're absolutely right. Having a Titan fight in a 40k RPG game would be like having a Super Star Destroyer fight in FFG's Star Wars game. If you're a few miles within one of them and it's hostile to you, you might as well fill out a new character sheet right then and there. Likewise, unless you break out enemy Titans or send a swarm of hundreds of Mantas or other heavy vehicle-destroying vessels against it, you will never be challenged and will basically be playing a game of target practice.
>>
I want to test run one of the versions which one should I choose? Rogue Trader seems the most interesting but I can't seem to find a small adventure with per made characters.
>>
>>51352749
What exactly do you want to run?
Rogue Trader is interesting, but it's massive and ambitious. Black Crusade is pretty much RT with heresy.
Deathwatch is all about fighting ayyliums and daemons.
And DH and OW is about your small dudes.
Something small is about DH mostly.
>>
>>51352823
As a first time player what would you suggest?

Only War seems good just because I love the Imps
>>
>>51352850
I would suggest Dark Heresy. It's the smallest and simplest of them.
OW also requires building a fuckhueg regiment, adding vehicles, getting into comrade system and also other managing a little npc party.
For Dark Heresy you only need one or a few chars and a plot. Although you might later add all of the above, once you get used to it.
>>
>>51352905
Awesome. Cheers man.
>>
>>51352930
Be careful, DH chars are fragile and prewritten stories are usually filled with combat.
>>
>>51342449
Psyker Unnarmed can work too, theoretically. Actually, I've wanted to use a Force Gauntlet some time, using BC rules that 'anything can be a Force Weapon!'
>>
>>51353007
>theoretically
HammerHand time.
>>
>>51352905
>>51352850
OW can be the easiest to run if you just make the players guardsmen and take out the comrade system, which is good but very complex for a first-time playthrough. All you need is a few guards, a setting, and things to shoot at.
>>
>>51353018
And the pyro power that lights your body on fire, yeah.
>>
>>51353069
It destroys everything you have on you, so it's rather lame. Unless you go full nude all the time.
>>
>>51353103
>Unless you go full nude all the time.
Why not? Tell me a naked flying man on fire trying to grab and wrestle people to death while constantly screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" isn't worthy of at least Fear (2).
>>
>OW game at base xp
>Everyone asks me to go social class
>GM doesn't want ministorum priest which may imply a slightly heretical game
S-should I be a good cuck and take social skills at one aptitude rates or should I just ask for a stay of execution and play something else?
>>
File: 2116031694.jpg (125KB, 974x1558px) Image search: [Google]
2116031694.jpg
125KB, 974x1558px
>new BC campaign
>oh boy first combat
>apparently GM pulled it from one of the books
>a whole bunch of fairly weak melee guys and two mages ambush us
>alright, no problem
>mage Doom Bolts the Psyker heretic, one shots her and makes her burn fate before she even gets a turn
>oh, okay
>Khorne worshiping CSM dives in, gets completely surrounded and legitimately can't kill fast enough despite one shotting a guy a turn
>other mage Doom bolts
>Doombolt
>Doombolt
>Doombolt
>Renegade has to burn fate
>Doombolt
>Doombolt
>Push Doombolt
>Push Doombolt
>CSM fate burn
>fate burn
>fate burn
>Push Doombolt
>Push Doombolt

I honestly don't understand what just happened or what we did to the GM

Shouldn't there be like a cooldown on this shit?
>>
>>51353192
No, I mean, I like kinky, it's just rather uncomfortable always going on a mission with only a mesh cloak. Not mentioning dangerous.
>>
>>51353247
Metagaming meme GMs sometimes don't really care about telling a story and care more on "beating" his players.
>>
>>51352619
Will you post it when you're done? Is it a campaign specific work, or can we all appreciate it?
>>
File: 14435524029940.jpg (49KB, 600x898px) Image search: [Google]
14435524029940.jpg
49KB, 600x898px
>>51353247
>Shouldn't there be like a cooldown on this shit?
Would you use a "cooldown" when fighting?
Besides that, you could've used grenades, ranged fire, whatnot.
Basically, it's what how broken and powerful sorcerers must be in the setting.
Also
>Khorne CSM
>No Blood God's Contempt
Out GM always, always struggled with finding oppenents actually able to cause us a problem.

We too were like crazy broken people with warded armour, spells and "weakish", but daemonic weapons at all times.
>>
File: IMG_3485.jpg (487KB, 706x1008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3485.jpg
487KB, 706x1008px
So considering all this posting on stats, I hear FFG statblocks are fairly wonky. What are the most egregious violations? Anyone have a home brew collection of statblocks? Anything I should keep in mind to unfuck/properly fuck adversaries?
>>
>>51353334
It's a brand new campaign, so nobody has marks yet.

Honestly the melee guys were fine, it was the two guys spamming Doombolt on unfettered and push literally every turn for the entire combat that absolutely wrecked everyone's face. And every time someone shot at the psykers they would *precognitive dodge* away from it.
>>
>>51353103
Depends on which version you're using. The one in OW/DH2 just adds PR and Flame to your melee damage.
>>
>>51353369
You can only precog dodge once per turn so you should have focus fired.
>>
File: Typical Black Crusade party.jpg (510KB, 1522x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Typical Black Crusade party.jpg
510KB, 1522x2160px
>>51353369
It's just once you get to know the system, you understand that defences mean practically nothing, if you or your enemy is serious about it.
Taking a Toughness 90 Unnatural +9 Prince in Termie out of the pocket is fun, but even it still has at best 3 reactions and can be fucked with Felling Daemonic weapons that are fairly easy to create, once you knowhow.
The worst enemies ever would be the ones with unnatural agility and Imperial Assasin-like training.
For the record, those terrible entities have a number of reactions, equal to their AG bonus.
Unless one can feint one or use all his fate points, their in a deep shit trying to hit them.

Also you can abuse the shit out of Force Fields, like Shimmering Mantle or something, giving it PRx9 rating, or use eldar force field with 75, which tests every hit or attack.
Using Eclipse Pulsator is viable, but it will also off their own fields unless it's Termie "fields".
Also
>>51353414
Blood God's Contempt is a fairly straightforward Tier 3 talent. Test WP to completely ignore spell.
Or if you can, you now RRRRRRRAGEBERSERKMAIMKILLBURN!!
Which also gives you +10 WP for any future attempts at sorcery. That's why offensive psychic powers are shit. Any CSM critter have a flat 50% of resisting outright.
So fighting them with magic only works if you buff yourself with shit like Warp Time, Preco and stuff.
Also, about Precododges. Well, sure, they can dodge it, but they hardly have more than 1 reaction, so 2 people reliably attacking them in a singe turn would quite easily make turn them into holes.

I hope this helped.
>>
>>51353202
Be a social character. But be an asshole.

Like a sociopath, know the concept of empathy, apply it where it suits you, disregard when it does not suit you.

Perfect gentlewoman when you percieve to be able to get something from someone. Absolute robot-lite when you can't see an advantage.
>>
>>51353202
>GM doesn't want ministorum priest which may imply a slightly heretical game
What? Ministorum priest is a mandatory chaplain for any regiment, heresy or not.
If there's no heresy, he's to make sure the morale stays high and everyone loves the emperor.
Also priest is about melee and flame, not just about social.
Press your GM further, it's unfair to deny something simple, if you want it this terrrible.
>>
>>51338400
Play DH2, problem solved.
>>
>>51353553
>>51353586
I'm more concerned about the costs of raising charm/inquiry/fellowship since no other base specialty has Fellowship/Social aside from the priest.
>>
>>51353679
What's the regiment?
>>
>>51353679
One aptitude is fine enough, being greedy is a sin.
Lack of second aptitude only means you can be better at fighting or tinkering too.
>>
File: IMG_4251.jpg (110KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4251.jpg
110KB, 640x480px
>>51353535
I probably should have mentioned I'm primarily a DH2E GM. I can see where BC entered your mind with that picture though.
>>
>>51353745
It doesn't matter. Since BC, other 2 two systems are all quite similar, along with a similar talents.
The worst enemy one can encounter is the one that's hard to hit.
High WS to evade feints and parry strong
Toughness and Unnatural to soak damage
Armour(unless they pack a grav gun)
High agility and unnatural to cause unending butthurt with dodges ignoring all 8 hits. Add 2-3 reactions on top to cause tears.
Lastly, high Willpower to ignory psykery shit and soak some exotic shit.
Force Fields or equivalents. Termie shield also can't be disabled, but it can't dodge in exchange.
And that's it.
I can't see if it's so hard to imagine.
>>
I might be retarded, but for some reason most of the stuff in the Master Armory Excel file aren't showing up. For example, I go to the Ranged tab, I see the categories of weapons listed on the left, like Las, but no weapons and no weapon stats appear.
>>
File: Pluses.png (37KB, 353x460px)
Pluses.png
37KB, 353x460px
>>51353827
Try clicking on those little pluses.
>>
>>51353827
>>51353861
Thanks. My Excel Viewer was being shitty.
>>
>>51353812
I think I fucked up asking my question, but you've still been very helpful. Thank you.
>>
>>51347250
well, the typical 40k tabletop game ends after six turns, so I would guess at six shots/bursts per gun.
>>
>>51352300
Then read up on The Fringe is Yours and Chivalry Intensifies. If he really is dead set on this, then have him roll up a knight scion either in the current game or the next one. Mind you, everyone else at the table should play a Knight as well or the whole thing goes to shit.
>>
>>51353679
You could always go Ratling.
>>
Where are necrons statted for ow?
>>
>>51352619
>>51353320

Dooooo it, faggot.
>>
>>51354474

I don't think they are. You'll have to look at Deathwatch for them.
>>
>>51354877
Oh crap.
>>
File: diddly-hole.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
diddly-hole.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>51354898
>>
File: Unknown Signals by SkeeNLangly.jpg (125KB, 811x408px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown Signals by SkeeNLangly.jpg
125KB, 811x408px
>>51354474
Don't know about OW, but there are juicy necrons in BC Core and Tome of Fate.
By all means, feel free to use them, but pls bring your players' tears here for us.
>>
>>51354985
Gotchu senpai
>>
>>51347250
I'm using B1 bis stats for my leman russes. I conveys the "old rugged PoC" feel pretty well imo.

Ammo :
75 clips for main gun (so 75 shells)
50 clips for hull weapon
30 clips each for coaxial and ring mount heavy stubbers
lasers have infinite ammo because they're plugged to the engine and main batteries.
Halve it if you think this is too much or your party doesn't go on exteded raids.

400l fuel tanks
consumption 75l/h (5h-5h30 of autonomy)
refuelling time 40min

daily oil consumption :
engine: 35l
air conditioning and NRBC system : 2-3l
gearbox: 60l
tracks: 15l
turret mechanism: 35l

upkeep:
greasing every 150km
engine oil change every 300km
in-depth check + gearbox oil change evert 1000km
complete overhaul every 4000km

By OW rules, I think you have something like 12 rounds, a single clip, for your main gun.
>>
>>51356109
How about chimera?
>>
What kind of flotilla would an Imperial Battleship tool around with? How many cruisers, light cruisers, destroyers, etc?

I never played BFG and the 40k General is full of memes and autism so I turn to you, fluffmasters of /40krpg/.
>>
Save up the .pdfs lads, one of megas from 40kgeneral vanished.
>>
>>51356360

Yeah, the good one with the up-to-date shit.
>>
Is inescapable attack the best talent for combat characters?

And how as a DM do you play around all your players getting it and becoming hyperaccurate hotshots?
>>
>>51351529
>use as a psyker
All the ones that protect you from bullets, increase your survivability, etc.
If you are talking about stuff to make you psyker better, the answer is no, you need genemods.
>>
>>51351938
Or, like everything else, he can take them as an elite advance, the way the book directly recommends pcs gaining talents and skills outside their career and rank.
I don't know why this ridiculous conversation has gone on so long when the book already outright addresses situations like this.
>>
>>51356261
Look it up on Lexicanum and the BFG corebook.
The rpgs generally do not deal with that kinda thing.
>>51356417
>Is inescapable attack the best talent for combat characters?
Moreso for melee than ranged, but it is one of the must have talents for anyone serious about combat.
>And how as a DM do you play around all your players getting it and becoming hyperaccurate hotshots?
At that point, enemies ought to have it as well, first off.
Second, why aren't your enemies in cover?
AP8+ chest high cover >= dodging. And if your entire group is going wholehog into combat, they are stupid as fuck.
>>
>>51356443
It's gone on this long because it's more about game balance than elite advances!
Typically, elite advances are for picking up skills and talents missed due to taking alternative ranks.
To acquire skills/talents before they would normally become available is generally the purpose of alternative ranks and/or elite advance packages.
Unless the GM makes the cost of an elite advance ridiculously high to maintain balance, in most cases it is better to say that it isn't available.
>>
>>51356109
good set of approximation, thank. I'll tweek that for different vehicles. I do have ingenuous RT players with a proper set of Mechanicus support, they are trying to improve their logistical supports for their own regiments, that will give a good working base.
>>
Alright anons, so, should I try and make some sort of actual adventure module out of a homebrew setting for BC I have and used for two parties? Who'd be interested in BC adventure modules?
>>
>>51357177
Are you hiring heroes or just want to share adventure ideas?
If the former, than sure, why not?
If the latter, well, I guess it can't hurt either.
However you say BC adventure and yet homebrew setting. Extrapolate your onion, please.
>>
>>51357270
Not starting a campaign, just writing up the stuff I have into a proper adventure module.

And it's on a homebrew planet in the Screaming Vortex, so, duh.
>>
File: 1387001618266.jpg (296KB, 1276x985px) Image search: [Google]
1387001618266.jpg
296KB, 1276x985px
Any of you more experienced with RT ever used the Warrant and Ship Origin Path found in Into the Storm?

I love the idea of it, as it'll help the players with fleshing out their dynasty and their ship, but I noticed that it can give them access to Archeotech and Xenostech, is that anything I need to be worried about?
>>
>>51357762
>is that anything I need to be worried about?
Archaeotech is simply flat better and also consumes less Space and Power than modern equivalents, making it better in every single way. Except for the fact that it's downright fucking ruinous in SP to outfit your ship with more than a couple archeotech components. Which often means a ship lacking fancy fun auxiliary components or weird guns, so it's a mostly fair tradeoff. The only archeotech item I soft-ban is the Teleportarium, and that only because it creates a narrative headache familiar to anyone who's watched five episodes of Star Trek.
Xenostech does oddball things at oddball prices and can't be summarized as easily. Be wary of it, but it's usually harmless. Just watch out for curveballs and don't let your players take more than a couple sets of grav sails.
>>
>>51356129
BMP-1, tweaked to be in line with a ww2 vehicle.
A bit more modern than the Russ as a result, allowing for fast mechanized operations or slower sessions when you've got tanks as well.

Ammo :
40 clips for main gun
50 clips for hull weapon
30 clips each for coaxial and ring mount heavy stubbers
Again, you can halve it if you want to play iron man mode.

400l fuel tanks
consumption 75l/h (5h-5h30 of autonomy)
refuelling time 40min
A bit shittier than a RL BMP, but that way it remains coherent with the Russ while having superior top speed

daily oil consumption :
engine: 20l
air conditioning and NRBC system : nyet
gearbox: 20l
tracks: 5l
turret mechanism: 10l

upkeep:
routine inspection every 2-3h.
engine oil change every 1200km
in-depth check every 2500km
complete overhaul every 5000km

You can find translated versions of the BMP-1 user manual on the web if you want more correct values.

>>51357177
new content is always appreciated, and it's what jeeps the community alive. Go for it.
>>
>>51358648
Thanks anon
>>
Do you use alternate characteristics for skills? One player asked me about it probably to bargain it to use better characteristic he has, but I want to hear your opinion about it anons before I make an final call about it and how.
>>
>>51358868
My group used 2 9d20 rolls and 1 reroll, and allowed allocation of the rolls.
This was because most were powergamers and hated vehemently total stats like 95 or less.
I would try to ask the same of any group, cause I don't fancy playing a gimp. Especially if it's not DH1.
>>
>>51358868

Some skills allow you to use multiple characteristics already, like intimidate being based off strength if you're roughing someone up, or fellowship if you're blackmailing them. It's up to the GM if a certain skill can be subbed in for use.
>>
>>51358942
Sorry anon but I think I didn't wrote what I meant to say. The skills (for example scrutiny allows per and fel) one "primary" characteristic and the alternate one to use. One of my players asked about it and I didn't quite use alternate ones yet.

>>51358982
Thanks Shas, that's a great example. My player asked about operate (surface), i.e. inteligence. I think that applies to finding shorter routes, finding hidden ones not exactly "driving" thing, or am I wrong?
>>
>>51359004

From that description it sounds like they want Navigate (Surface) skill. That's more of a pathfinding skill. Operate (Thing) means you know how to switch the gears and kick in the clutch.
>>
>>51359023
Well that was my example that I thought about real quick trying to find corresponding one. I have no idea how they could use intelligence while driving (operating), any ideas?
>>
>>51359004
Well, sure, why not? It isn't terribly bad thing to replace charm with deceive or intimidate.
Or FL Xenos with the Warp.
>>51359063
Easily, he could plug himself with MIU-device and control with his mind.
But if he means finding better routes and, duh, navigating, then it's Navigate.
Operate is about driving and how good you are at it.
>>
>>51359063

Probably in a more tech-inclined way, setting energy levels, calculating The Spin for angling armor, and knowledge of flat terrain for optimal ground traverse rates, that sort of thing.

There's a special distinction in Deathwatch that you can buy that lets you sub in Int for Strength / Ag based tests, and one of my players has it. I just never really questioned it before, come to think of it.
>>
>>51358648
do you have a link for the BMP -1 manual ? and thanks for the info anyway !
>>
File: thatassholeagain.png (2MB, 900x1174px) Image search: [Google]
thatassholeagain.png
2MB, 900x1174px
Is Fall of Cadia going to run 40k RPGs and 40k as a whole (more than it already has)?
>>
>>51359526
Nah mate. Just use your own canon.
>>
File: Smile.gif (546KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
Smile.gif
546KB, 255x255px
>>51359526

Depends on how close your game was to Cadia
>>
>>51359526
Nah. We can always say our events are happening earlier in timeline.
At worst, we can simply ignore the retarded canon.
For example, no Kaldor Draigos and Dreadknights(in their current form).
>>
>>51359593
>We can always say our events are happening earlier in timeline.

Technically the FFG games take place 800M41 or so, and most of the new stuff takes place 999M41, so you have some time to prepare.
>>
>>51359593
>>51359561

That's what I'm doing. Pretty much everything after the Kieldar Offensive is uncanon in my game and mindset, because after that it all went tumbling down.
>>
>>51359627
It really depends. A solid chunk of FFG content takes place between 875 and 975 M41, unless you're playing wayback in the Spindward Front. Either way it's easy to ignore the shit canon as it's already loose enough to begin with.
>>
File: Necron weapons.png (801KB, 1004x882px)
Necron weapons.png
801KB, 1004x882px
>>51354474
BC core and Tomb of Fate. Do note that they're arguably even tougher than in Deathwatch.
>>
>>51359692
Eh? What stuff is happening in 975? I thought each game was set one year after the previous, with Dark Heresy starting in 815.M41?
>>
I miss playing Rogue Trader. Our campaign was going so well and we were having a lot of fun.
>>
>>51360409
I never once got to play rogue trader.
>>
>>51360445
Duuude. It's great. It feels like it allows the most freedom in terms of roleplaying in 40K, as much as I always wanted to play a DH game long enough to be an Inquisitor.
>>
>>51360470
I know :(
>>
File: 9WXVfVh.jpg (925KB, 1510x900px) Image search: [Google]
9WXVfVh.jpg
925KB, 1510x900px
Why is finding active/starting play by post games for Dark Heresy so hard?

A little help here, guys.
>>
>>51359467
http://pastebin.com/Zg7CqU9G
>>
>>51359692
Rogue Trader also lists events only up to 815.M41
>>
>>51361598
>http://pastebin.com/Zg7CqU9G
thanks a bunch !
>>
File: AM_WHAT.png (5KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
AM_WHAT.png
5KB, 300x300px
>>51334794
Starting a Deathwatch game. Our kill team is:

Desert Raiders Captain
Angry Marine Assault Marine
Raven Guard Assault Marine
Blood Raven Pysker
________ Apothecary
_________ Devastator

In character the Blood Raven pysker wants to steal everything
The Angry marine is angry and wants to kill the pysker because hes a pysker and a Thousand Sons descendant
The Raven Guard hates the Angry marine for his anger
The Desert Raider also hates the Pysker for being a pysker and the angry marine for being angry all the time

How fucked is my game anons?
>>
>>51362672

>memes

fucked.
>>
>>
>>51334794
Does anyone know of a source for the expanded Ship Roles used in Pride and Profit? Obsidan Portal appears to have been destroyed, so I don't know where to look.
>>
>>51362672
In for a bad time, mate.
>>
>>51362672
This is 18+ only anon.
>>
>>51364409
Either battle fleet kronus or into the storm. I forget which.
>>
>>51364409
>>51364920

It's Into the Storm. Near the end of the book. In the expanded mechanics section and not the ship section for some reason.
>>
File: Metroid.jpg (65KB, 707x726px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
65KB, 707x726px
Would tyranids be able to devour a Metroid and steal its genes?

Metroids are extremely difficult to defeat and kill off without using extreme cold as a weapon, and once a metroid grips a prey, it won't let go until all the energy in the prey is absorbed.

Or would this considered to be a Heat Death of the Universe scenario if a Metroid Tyranid came into being?
>>
>>51362686
>memes
Huh?
>>51364452
How so
>>51364824
Oh trust me i am. 30+ here
>>
What should the damage profile of an unpowered power fist be?
>>
>>51366658
p 128 Shield of Humanity
I'd take a look at mace-fist damage and pen wise and otherwise take the special qualities of the power fist - power field +primitive
>>
File: 1477580016427.jpg (521KB, 2204x2130px) Image search: [Google]
1477580016427.jpg
521KB, 2204x2130px
>>
File: britishidioms.jpg (147KB, 750x453px) Image search: [Google]
britishidioms.jpg
147KB, 750x453px
Hey fellas, on Wednesday I'm joining my very first PnP group ever. We'll be playing Only War and we're meeting at the GM's house to discuss the kind of campaign we'll be running and to roll up a regiment and discuss each others' characters.

I've got the rulebook and I'm cramming before our first meet. The GM knows it's my first time and he's cool with it.

Anyway, what should I expect? Advice? Tips? How to keep my spaghetti in my pockets?
>>
>>51366658
Without the powerfield there will be no enhanced Str bonus... Damage and Pen will both be reduced to nearest equivalent weapon
>>
>>51368880

Also, getting into character: how autistic is too autistic? Where would you draw the line?
>>
>>51368880
Just know that there are expanded things for regiment building in the two splats.
>>
>>51368880
Take snacks and SOFT DRINKS with you, not alcohol. Table etiquette and alcohol consumption at the game will be something to discuss at the initial session
>>
So in our current game, my group is trying to reorganize a underhive gang into a more efficient, organization, and my character is the one to be initially tasked with doing it.

As far as "relevent skills" go, I have access to:
Commerce
Common Lore (Administratum)
Forbidden Lore (Pirate)
Forbidden Lore (Criminal Cartels)

Using these skills, can anyone suggest courses of action to make the gang overall more effective specifically, in the undertaking of attempting to gain ground and status within the Underhive?

An example would be
Forbidden Lore (Criminal Cartel): restructure gang organization to a more robust criminal syndicate
>>
So on a scale of 1 to absolute cancer how does this sound
Black Crusade rules but during the Horus Heresy
I know the rules well but as a new GM I probably don't tell a good story
I'm running this for some pals of mine but would anyone play this?
>>
>>51372043
I don't see why not.
>>
How often does anybody in your party use shields?
>>
>>51372718
In 40krp? Rare.
>>
>>51372718
Normally, only rarely. But currently, we're stuck in a prison and making crude shields and axes is our best bet for survival.
>>
>>51372718
I normally try to get a shield at some point, particularly if it's bonus standard armour.

One tech priest had two mounted on servo arms.
>>
is 2nd ed >>> 1st ed?
>>
>>51373137
You just gave me an good idea, tho the one I wouldn't be able to use due to nogames.
>>
>>51373372
Ranks and the fluff in 1e are nice the rest is garbage.
>>
>>51373372
>>51373943

This. Convert 1E content over to 2E and don't look back.
>>
File: FUCKING INVINCIBLE.jpg (111KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING INVINCIBLE.jpg
111KB, 584x622px
>>51373137
>One tech priest had two mounted on servo arms.
>>
>>51372043
it sounds like fun, but its definitely something that you and the players need to put a lot of thought into.

If your game takes place during one of the most critical times during the history of man everyone should understand who, where and why they are.

This is a time where the space marines are organized into legions not chapters, they've been crusading for decades, and now half of them follow their fathers into heresy.

If your party is doing CSM you need to have a very good reason why different space marines are working together in a small group and not in their legion. Perhaps they were pooled together by their to serve as a small recon/task force. Or maybe they were all captured by loyalists and were awaiting painful interrogation when the game begins and thus they are now a party.

Equally I'm sure you'll be able to tell a fine story. You have so much to work with here. This is a time where all of your players will have known or at least seen their primarch. The reasons for fighting this war is real and palpable. Most legions with few exceptions were fiercely loyal to their primarchs and so they aren't fighting this because it is what those who came before them did, and because they have no hope of returning to the imperium. They are fighting because their father has told them that they must, and many reasons that support it.

Equally if you do a human BC game it could also be very interesting as the options are very big on what you can do.
>>
File: 14434555498732.jpg (1015KB, 2560x1882px) Image search: [Google]
14434555498732.jpg
1015KB, 2560x1882px
>>51372043
Around cancer in a bad sense.
During Horus Heresy there wasn't much of an opportunity to go Black Crusading, since it was preparationg for the Battle of Terra and the Legions were still a thing.
The good story of that time can be had, but it generally revolves around large entrpises, involving whole legions companies and it's a massive scales fit for endgame.

However, right after the Horus Heresy the Legions split and fled into the Eye and all other directions in relative disarray.
It it then, when the first CSMs and Black Crusades of today happened.
At this point, it would be pretty much the same BC as in the book, just set much earlier in time.
You must be able remember what was then and what wasn't, for example Assault Cannons, Indomitus and Razorbacks. No Tyranids and Tau. Invent stats for Cataphractii and so on and had everyone take Ancient Warrior and behave seriously as befitting the original Legionarries. The wounds as still sore and butthurt of defeat isn't dead yet.
>>
>>51376598

Great Crusade Testing Ground zip has all the 30k gear and vehicles. Some of it doesn't quite work right, it's an obvious wip and needs work. You can try to find that.
>>
>>51376598
>However, right after the Horus Heresy the Legions split and fled into the Eye and all other directions in relative disarray.
>It it then, when the first CSMs and Black Crusades of today happened.
The direct aftermath of the Horus Heresy would be a difficult time to Black Crusade as well because that's when the loyalists were still legions with Primarchs in maximum asskicking mode, and the traitors were on the defensive, when not being outright routed.
>>
>>51377420
I meant after they all fled to the eye. Abba weren't too keen on starting another massive campaign initially, so I was referring to the time when he finally got his shit together and led assault on EC. Then BC happened.

What I also meant is that what happens initially in the BC book isn't crusading as well, it's same getting your shit together and amassing resources, warriors and fame. So roleplaying campaign can start right before even Abaddon, since warband squabbling is good grounds for rising up.
>>
Why has Total Recall never helped with lore checks?
>>
>>51379211
Your GM was being lame.
>>
Is a good quality mono sickle sword with a duelist grip the best non-power legacy weapon available?
>>
>>51379315
I suppose, though if it is a legacy weapon, I don't think it would get the Tainted quality as the bump up in quality is from the legacy, not the weapon itself.
>>
>>51377420
Could be an interesting setting to play in desu, like being corrupt chaos nobles on a planet during its reconquest and having to escape or avoid discovery by the vengeful Imperials and their newborn Inquisition.
>>
>>51379277
It seems like something that should be printed
>>
>>51377420
Trying to regroup as many troops as you can while fleeing from loyalists would make for a fantastic campaign IMO.
>>
>>51372718
When I'm not permaGM, I like to do an Arbites type character with a Shield and Shotgun.
>>
>>51372043
Fuck that, do Deathwatch crossed with Black Crusade to show your Legionaries fighting loyalist Marines before Horus got his shit pushed in. The march toward Terra has a ton of room for interesting stories.
>>
File: gondolasnow.gif (435KB, 600x608px) Image search: [Google]
gondolasnow.gif
435KB, 600x608px
At what point does something become snowflake, /tg/?

I'm gonna join a game where everyone's an Imperial Knight, but the GM said I couldn't be of a house that had a few hundred Knights, and self-production capacities. He said it was snowflakey. I did my research, and read up on House Raven, and House Orhlacc, and there are knight houses that have hundreds of knights and independent forges, so it's possible in the fluff. The latter are even some sort of fungus vampire, if I understand it right. But when I confronted the GM with this, he said, "Those are official exceptions. Players shouldn't come close to that." It's not a question of destitution, since one other player is from a small house of a few dozen knights, but he allowed them to have a Cerastus Atrapos. So why is having a well-off knight house such a red flag? I legitimately don't understand where the red lines are, and my GM isn't giving me any until I come to him with concepts.
>>
>>51382181
Sounds like your gm wants everybody on the same page; he doesn't want any one player to have more than the others. That seems reasonable, doesn't it? Having everyone start out at roughly the same power level is a good way to start a campaign, no?
>>
>>51382323
Not that anon, but the GM should say that, not that it's "snowflakey", especially when there's in setting precedent. All the GM is showing is that he doesn't know what snowflakey means.
>>
>>51382181
>a game where everyone's an Imperial Knight
I'd say all of you fags are special snowflakes along with GM.
>>
>>51382323

But it's a background thing. We're all picking our Knights freely, but the only background he seems to be accepting is "20-40 knights max, little influence on battles outside local space." I just felt it was limiting, and since he won't tell me anything beyond what I can piece together, I don't know what those limits are.
>>
>>51382181
>and self-production capacities.
Is it specifically a house producing complete Knight armours on their own, or not? Because all Knight houses that want to survive must have some production capabilities so their Sacristans can make spare parts and what not.
>"Those are official exceptions. Players shouldn't come close to that."
That just sounds like he wants you to be dirt farmers, like this guy>>51382374
>So why is having a well-off knight house such a red flag?
I don't see why it would be unless you suffer from weapons grade autism.
>>
>>51382401
>unless you suffer from weapons grade autism.
Let's not pretend that's rare in the 40k fandom.
>>
>>51382181
>So why is having a well-off knight house such a red flag?
I don't know. It's entirely possible to be a member of an influential, powerful House and not be, yourself, at all influential or powerful.
>>
>>51382370
Well, anon: there are a lot of things that people SHOULD do that they don't. Yes, the gm should be articulate and forthcoming. But they're having an all-knights game! As this anon >>51382374 points out, that's a bit cringey/snowflakey all on its own. But it can be fun! Nothing wrong with the idea per se.
As the original anon points out >>51382385 he wants to push the limits of what's allowed - clearly, the gm DOESN'T want that. The gm seems to want everyone to be functionally similar i.e. of about the same power level. The anon is whining because he's not being allowed to make an uber-backgrounded character with muh bestest knight house eva!!!
>>
>>51382401
>>51382181

The closest thing that I can think of is the GM thinks you will leverage the massive resources of a large knight house to overshadow or outperform others, somehow. If your Knight House can just spam niggas on call, it diminishes the effects of the players.

There's no real limit otherwise. There are some babby houses that have like 5-10 suits, while there are others like the examples posted - hundreds. You need SOME capability to make parts and whatnot, but making your own full Knights is rare indeed - there are only a few houses that can do that. Most cut deals with the local Mechanicum.

Remember, it's entirely possible to make really exotic and bizarre knight houses, with varying levels of production, but it seems for most people, the closer one is to a codex baseline average, the easier you will soothe autists and find stuff generally accepted.
>>
>>51382499
>that's a bit cringey/snowflakey all on its own

how the fuck
>>
>>51382538

It's something the system is not supposed to do. It feels wrong.
>>
>>51382538
If you can't see the cringe, you ARE the cringe.
>>
>>51380162
Raw it would.
>>
>>51382538
Well, it's a tank game! Everyone gets to be a tank! How could that NOT be fun? The campaign possibilities are endless...oi vey......
Seriously: what threatens knights? Other knights, titans, titan-killers, or a fuckload of mooks. That's about it. Superfun.
>>
>>51382889
>what threatens knights?
My Only War party decided to try a baneblade campaign. That question is why we're playing Dark Heresy 2e now.
Well that, and because one of the players told said he wanted to try his hand at GMing and wanted to use DH2e.
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (147KB, 484x453px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
147KB, 484x453px
>>51382889

Oh no! I guess I better cancel my Only War tanker game!

Fuck you.
>>
>>51382889
>Seriously: what threatens knights? Other knights, titans, titan-killers, or a fuckload of mooks. That's about it. Superfun.
One very brave motherfucker with a jump-pack/grappling hook/grav-belt/elevated terrain/other device to get on top of things and a melta-bomb
Big pit traps.
Commando raids aimed at sabotaging un-piloted and powered down Knight armours.
A concealed lascannon team with the tank-hunter talent.
A tank squadron.
Aircraft.
Rockslides.
Artillery.
Snipers picking off the Knight-Scion while outside the Knight armour.
Harpoons and tow-cables.
Etc.

It's not hard to figure out more than just those if you put a tiny bit of effort into it rather than going "NO, THIS IS BADWRONGFUN".
>>
>>51382889
Dedicated bombing aircraft typically fiddles with Knights if they don't have support. It's not exactly a huge addition of threats, mind, but it is one.
>>
>>51383164
>a melta-bomb
Just one? Try again!
>Big pit traps
walk around
>Commando raids aimed at sabotaging un-piloted
>un-piloted
unpiloted
>A concealed lascannon...
...gets one shot.......
>A tank squadron
>squadron
And so on: will need LOTTSA aircraft; will need a handy nearby mountain for rockslides; will need REALLY ACCURATE artillery to hit that moving and dodging knight; snipers only work when the pc's are NOT doing their knightly thang; harpoons and towcables are for womprats back home.
Not saying anything about badwrongfun; I was just pointing out the lack of potential opponents. Things will get boring quick.
>>
>>51383164

Or I could make the players generate NORMAL characters, and toss them against some generic hivers with autoguns, and have a far more intriguing game with plenty of tactical options, rather than specialized planning and BIG KNIGHTS MAYMAY XDDDDD
>>
>>51383164
>>51382983
>>51382976
I'm curious: is playing a 'tank game' a fun roleplaying experience? Playing with tanks on tt seems to be fun...So who has the most fun with tanks and giant robots and shit? Rpg's or the tt?
>>
>>51383439
in a universe riff with bbigger than life threats, where the scope is warfare at a galactic scale, doing anything else than lasgun final destination is badwrongfun ?
tell me, what is normal about the 40JK universe, aka "I throw everything cool for 80 british nerd and mix with heavy metal and a gothic aesthethic" ?

and besides, doing a "normal characters only" game need work as well. because standard fight can be tedious as well.
A Knight game is not only a fighting game, you have your House to represent, intra Houses rivalries, confrontation with the IG, Navy, Mechanicus, politics....
>>
File: Knight Lancer and Myrmidon.jpg (109KB, 1029x691px) Image search: [Google]
Knight Lancer and Myrmidon.jpg
109KB, 1029x691px
>>51383530

There are just as many tanks as there are forms of infantry, to an extent. It depends on how spread-out your game is. For example, if the GM says the Dark Eldar are the main enemy, and you're in a tank, expect to fight lots of raiders and ravagers, dark lance kabalites, and the occasional tantalus or reaper. But if that's ALL you fight, things will get boring quickly. Tank games require enemy encounters built around them, and some care.

Each person in a tank has a role, and outside this very specific role, it can be hard to break out. Unlike a melee guy who can, if needed, flank an enemy for a sudden surprise attack, the loader loads, the gunner shoots, etc. Most of the RP opportunities will come from inter-tank bantz, inter-mission base faffing about, and whatnot. Similar thing with knights. You have a wide variety of enemies to fight, but if you limit yourself, you're gonna have a boring time. A Knight game, in my thoughts, is best when it's half Giant Robot Combat, half running about outside the knights on ground operations. It's a good mix that lets both aspects of the game shine.

On the tabletop? God DAMN is it fun to just charge giant robots forward into the enemy, stomping everything in your path.
>>
>>51383396
>Things will get boring quick.
Yes, if you just go "NO, THESE ARE NOT THREATS BECAUSE I SAY SO". A pit trap is an enormous (hah) threat to a walker. As is a commando raid that sabotages your shiny giant robot and takes you off the field. Or somehow having 40ft giant robots dodging artillery barrages.

You're intentionally removing perfectly valid avenues of attack on the Knight because it doesn't fit the narrow definition of Knightly fightan you want to use to make your argument.

All the things I mentioned work perfectly well as threats because combat against a Knight would get boring as fuck if it's only on a flat field with no form of environment. I mean, do you put infantry firefights on completely flat featureless plains where terrain does not matter and can not influence the combat encounter?

Basically, you're just being autistic about. Also, as Shas said.
>A Knight game, in my thoughts, is best when it's half Giant Robot Combat, half running about outside the knights on ground operations. It's a good mix that lets both aspects of the game shine.
>>
>>51383920
>As is a commando raid that sabotages your shiny giant robot and takes you off the field
Let's play a Knights game! Okay day 1, your knight is sabotaged and doesn't work.

Why are we bothering with the knights then?
>>
>>51383982
>Let's play a Knights game! Okay day 1, your knight is sabotaged and doesn't work.
So you're going to be a terrible GM and just take away your players toys instead of making an encounter out of your players trying to prevent the sabotage and making their house proud by protecting the sacred machine?

>Why are we bothering with the knights then?
Because it clearly annoys you.
>>
>>51384083
What we are trying to convey to you is there are LESS stories to be told about giant robots, there are MORE stories to be told about real people, and there are MUCH BETTER ways to play with giant robots and have HUUGE AWESOME FUN. It's not that hard, tbqh.
>>
>>51384295
giant robots maned by real people, linked together, so you can play on both aspect at the same time, as long as one is not detrimental to the other.
>>
>>51384341
Good luck with that - I'm serious, as a vet of several mecha rpg's, good luck.
>>
>>51384341
More or less this.

I'm not saying all of those suggestions are complete crap or unusable but a lot of the stuff in >>51383164 would need a lot of work or else it would just feel like arbitrary bullshit to wreck the knights or keep the players from using them.

I don't think a bunch of players who specifically want to stomp the opposition in giant robots would enjoy a lot of that. Having to continuously come up with ways to screw over the giant robots seems like a lot of work and can seem like the GM deliberately taking their shiny away if done poorly.

Probably easier to focus on the stuff outside of the robot and when the fighting comes, just let them run the table and tell them how special and cool they are? I don't think people that wanted to play as knights in the first place would object to that.
>>
>>51384438
THIS MY GOD THIS.
>>
>>51384405
I'm not the anon with the all Knights party. Though, I have my fair share of RT games, aka, players behind STARSHIPS. I do thing going downscale might be easier.
>>
>>51384295
>What we are trying to convey to you is there are LESS stories to be told about giant robots
You're doing such a shit job about it I'm actively disbelieving that's what you're trying to do. You come ass far more that you think its BADWRONGFUN and people should stop doing it because you think its BADWRONGFUN.
>there are MORE stories to be told about real people
How are the Scions that pilot the Knights not as real people as Rogue Trader? Or Dark heresy characters with the nobility background? Or tech-priests? Or Space marines? Does somehow piloting a giant robot make you an unperson?
>and there are MUCH BETTER ways to play with giant robots and have HUUGE AWESOME FUN. It's not that hard, tbqh.
You're not even putting forth that argument or point and if you have attempted that, you've done an awful damn job of it. So yes, it is that hard.

>>51384438 makes valid points that everyone should consider when trying to run a Knight game. Making encounters for them can be a damn nightmare, particularly if you don't manage to make the suggestions there feel less arbitrary. >>51382796 has the most valid point of all, as the 40kRPG's are built to simulate a regular human and has huge issues with simulating anything else.

But that's not what you've been arguing. At all.
>>
>>51384597
A-are you ok, anon? Do you need a cookie?? Do you need some time to gather your thoughts? Because you just sperged out, boi. Why so butthurt? Did the big meanie shit in yer cornflakes? Did he maybe point out that playing giant robot might be more fun outside of a roleplaying game? Or, at least, in an rpg actually designed for mecha? Which one of these various logical points got you all flustered, chum? Do you always react with such immature childishness when someone tells you some truth you don't like?? Hmmm???
>>
File: 6cwz4ll.gif (2MB, 400x206px)
6cwz4ll.gif
2MB, 400x206px
>>51384693
>Do you need a cookie??
No, I have ice cream. But you probably need some lotion for your sore ass.
>>
>>51384496
But starships are both the vehicle, the setting, and a character all its own. Plus you have an entire crew and all of the players working together to have it work.

As knights you're a group of invincible gods. And if you want to play that you could just get Deathwatch.
>>
File: 1483139482331.gif (2MB, 320x240px)
1483139482331.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>51384748
Oh, kid, yer adorable - you are actually going to go out of your way and start a fight with me because you are so twisted out of shape right now you are literally steaming.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!
And all because I tried to help you have fun with mecha and tried to warn you of the pitfalls.
That's just adorably pathetic, kiddo.
I'm done trying to help you: I now hope your game crashes and burns and your friends dump your whiney sperg ass. Chump. Have fun playin' super-awesome-action-robot-hour!
>>
>>51384820
Why shouldn't he have fun? Super-awesome-action-robot-hour! sounds rad as hell.
>>
>>51384789
Didn't you know? Marines aren't big and invincible enough. Gotta up the power creep and turn a game about people's struggles into a game about fightan giant robots! Cause reasons. Good reasons.
>>
>>51384847
It is! But ffg's rpg's ain't designed for it - get a mecha game, or better yet, play mecha on the tt! It's one helluva lot more fun than trying to shoehorn mecha into a non-mecha rpg.
>>
File: spag.jpg (90KB, 800x603px) Image search: [Google]
spag.jpg
90KB, 800x603px
>>51384748
>>51384820
Jesus Christ, it's everywhere!
>>
>>51384820
>>51384847
>>51384892
>>51384911
Samefag much?
>>
>>51384942
kek
nope
>>
>>51369032
>not alcohol
I don't understand
like water?
>>
I get that the Mechanicus gets nice toys because they have a codex and are the science guys, I just wish there was more for the Ecclesiarchy.
>>
File: IMG_3260.jpg (211KB, 1024x744px)
IMG_3260.jpg
211KB, 1024x744px
Good God Emperor, the shitposting. If you're gonna sperg, at least post some 40K art with your autism.
>>
File: 1392756073510.jpg (120KB, 524x492px) Image search: [Google]
1392756073510.jpg
120KB, 524x492px
>>51385501
>’40K art’
>furry forearms
>pointed ears
>zero skulls or other iconography

shit/10
>>
Hey, i notice there's a dearth of prewritten adventures for dh2e. Given how similar it is to 1e, how much work would it be to convert 1e adventures to 2e? Would i really have to do anything besides tweaking certain skills & such?
>>
>>51385501
Why does she have sideburns?
>>
File: IMG_3669.jpg (172KB, 960x713px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3669.jpg
172KB, 960x713px
>>51385700
>>51385771
Comissar, I have sinned in the light of the Emperor by not checking my thumbnails. Would you do the honors, or must I blam myself?
>>
File: IMG_4488.jpg (84KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4488.jpg
84KB, 564x846px
>>51385841
A double tap of posting, to make up for things.
>>
Servo-automata a cute! CUTE! I want one for my techpriest!
>>
>>51385841
A man who can admit his mistakes is an honorable man. A man who rectifies his mistakes is like unto God. Hail to thee, anon - all is forgiven.
>>
File: 1481612580942.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1481612580942.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>
I want to make a Deathwatch Blackshield who happens to be a Thousand Sons who departed with the Legion's fleet juat before the invasion of Prospero. Original armor is red as Magnus, now is blackened, he is a psyker.
- as spinach mareens do not die from being fucking old, is it possible for him to still be here 10k after birth?
- the Rubric was shitty but the Flesh-Change was worse. How could he have survived all those mutations during 10kyrs?
- if he has a lot of mutations, I dunno if the Deathwatch would accept him even as a Blackshield.
I know its cheesy but is the cheese bakeable. I'm struggling with those questions.
>>
>>51391297
I'd come up with some sort of stasis shenanigans. Otherwise, ten thousand years is just too fucking long, my dude. You already know you're trying to do something janky as hell, so I won't rip on you for that, but as you said, it's doubtful the Deathwatch would look too kindly on him if he's heavily fucked up. Best case scenario he's under constant house arrest until he finally dies in combat?
>>
>>51391297
Stasis or get the fuck out with this bullshit.
>>
>>51385700
Those might be felinids, comissar. Dey r a sanctioned abhumans strain, sir. Probably cause erryone likes cats. Dem cheeky furballs.
>>
File: 14366267557570.jpg (84KB, 800x600px)
14366267557570.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>51391297
Whatever the armour might be, it's painted black, so that no identifications marks can give him up.
What spinach has to do with Thousand Sons? Also they still might be able to die from old age, as far as I've heard, not that he nesessarily should, with all that warp and psykery stuff in him.
Have you even read about the Rubric? Ahriman smote mutations from the whole legion by his spell. Psykers were cleansed and empowered, everyone else just bit the dust. Figuratively. No mutations, unless he gained them later.
Deathwatch might accept him anyway, but if he's gonna show off his old geezery, you'd better not play at all.
Actually, yeah, don't play this shit at all. Do you even realize that an originial thousand sons guy generally must be at least around the 5 rank, if not beyond 8 at all.
Just play Blood Ravens, for fucks sake.
>>
Has anyone heard of a proper 40krpg single person module? I'm getting really desperate, so I'm willing to play with myself now.
>>
Say some Dominate troopers surrendered, either knowing about the duplicity of their leader or otherwise, could they be brought back to the Imperial fold (like a penal battalion) or is it happy execution fun time all the time?
>>
>>51392592
Depends on the commander in question and/or Inquisitor around. Some might take even witches and hetetics, some burn for losing uplifting primer.
>>
>>51348242
>>51348348
>strength 5 ap 5
>kill guardsmen on 2+, no armor save allowed
Yeah, they really do.
>>
>>51392779

TABLETOP FAGGOT FUCK OFF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51348348
Even in other lines, like RT, pulse guns can liquidate humans at will.
>>
>>51392187
>Actually, yeah, don't play this shit at all. Do you even realize that an originial thousand sons guy generally must be at least around the 5 rank, if not beyond 8 at all.
Cryo tube, stasis chamber, lost in the warp, using the space marine hibernation implant to sleep for 10k years (canonically accomplished by one pre-Heresy Dark Angel), etc. It's possible for a pre-Heresy marine without accumulating ten thousand years of experience.

In fact, it could well be that he went into stasis somehow pre-Heresy aboard a ship that became part of a Space Hulk, and was later found and awoken by an Imperial exploration team, who informed him of how his entire Legion had betrayed the Emperor, and then, when he was informed of his potential choices for retaining his honor, he decided to join the Deathwatch, so that he could fight with his fellow battle brothers once more (rather than, say, joining the personal retinue of an Inquisitor, or having the AdMech harvest his geneseed and use it as the material to begin the Founding of a new Space Marine Chapter).
>>
>>51394027
Well, I do admit all this is possible, but that reeks of snowflakes too much.
Wouldn't allow unless the player is skilled enough to roleplay properly.
>>
>>51392800
Tabletop should certainly be considered a guideline when it comes to statting things. Not Shas "it's a 1:1 port", but if something shreds generic flak armoured infantry in TT then that should be reflected in the RPG.
>>
>>51385700
It's a Scottish space werewolf from Infintiy.

Although, Variatus strains of abhumans were conscripted into the IG on regular basis.

Speaking of Imperial Guard, been thinking up an IG regiment for largely small scale operations and guerilla warfare. Mostly they specialize in sabotage, assassinations, inciting the local populace and steering horribly off course of their operation parameters and doing Emperor knows what, and being suspiciously vague about what it was, as well as elements of either the Ecclesiarchy or Administratum being suspiciously nosy about any investigation into the doings of the regiment. They're recruited from Schola Progenium and noted for seeming very motivated and loyal to the ruling body of the Imperium, with little concern for the people that make up the Imperium. Being shrouded in an air of secrecy, seeing their own objectives as always being more important than whatever else is going on and acting like a bunch of proto commissars about it, even to the points of being willing to sacrifice other regiments to pursue their own secret objectives, has earned them a reputation of being a bunch of unstrustworthy, callous, spooks, crooks, and commissar washouts (which as I came up with it, a bunch of them totally are), who work of the special interests of shady higher ups. When actually doing the job the Munitorum wants them to, it often involves going behind enemy lines to create chaos or being inserted to insurrectionist planets to hide among the populace and strike the enemy from within as the actual invasion starts, alternately, going into hiding on planets being taken over by an enemy like the Tau and doing whatever they can to keep it destabilized and prevent the population from throwing their lot in with the Tau, or going to frontier worlds every now and again to root out growing insurrections by running around as Imperial death squads and throwing the right people out of valkyries.

Two part.
>>
>>51394722
Homeworld: Schola Progenium -3
Commanding Officer: Billious -2 or Circumspect
Regiment Type: Guerilla Regiment -4
Training Doctrines: Survivalists (Urban) -4
Equipment Doctrines: Covert Strike -4
Regimental Drawback: The Few +5

Alternately I've thought about reworking their doctrines and drawbacks to include Mistrusted, Cloud of Suspicion, Crusaders, Iron Discipline or Defenders of the Faith, maybe Well-Provisioned to represent the die hard mentality, Ecclesiarchal/Administratum sugar daddies, and suspicious fucking nature. Maybe throw out survivalist to make room for some of it to hint at them maybe being more motivated than actually competent. Forgot to add, they commonly wear civilian clothing on the job.
>>
>>51394722
>IG regiment for largely small scale operations and guerilla warfare
>sabotage, assassinations, inciting the local populace and steering horribly off course of their operation parameters and doing Emperor knows what, and being suspiciously vague about what it was
>They're recruited from Schola Progenium
That's Stormtroopers, duh.
Progena are not wasted on meatshield guards regiments. Even snowflakey ones.
>>
Does anyone else think that the rules for vehicle weapons in the 40k rpg line could have been better made? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the battlecannon fire every other turn instead of every five seconds? Or have you already fixed this, and I just can't find it?
>>
>>51394027
>>51391727
>>51391757
>>51392187
>>51394131
I agree with you, 10k of conciousness is impossible to roleplay. Never make a character more clever/ too much experimented than you.

The hibernation implant followed by the rediscovery dans the choice by the Qwisizion seems nice, as he known and monitored by the big I. If he does his warp fuckery again, he'll be harvested for legal warp-gene fuckery.

I thought of him as being angry to the fall of his Legion to Tzeentch, and rejecting the most wicked warp rituals he learned with his buddies during the Great Crusade. Favored Enemy: Traitors.

I thought he would limit his uses of Psy to divination to boost his fighting/infiltration abilities, and giving him a certain amount of Forbidden Knowledge (not all he had, he overslept for too long to prevent the loss of some engrams, hence his reduced rank).

He would have a fucking grudge against the Space Doggos but he has to hide his origins by order of the Qwisizion,

so he is a heavily monitored, old Mareen of the Imperial Truth era, who has lost most of his former power and who has to fit as soon as possible in the dystopia what he was fighting for became.

If I work a lot about the RP implications of his management of his shitty and ever confusing situation, will it be viable to you as a GM?

I precise that I did not chose that concept because "Muh Old Cruzade Powa in 40k gonna wreck them all", more "I am fucking misfit in this shitstorm but I'm alive and working to protect the mutated grandson of my original cause. Well, could be worse" and I love the pre-heresy Legion XV / Thousand Sons, more than the Blood Chickens.

So, not Cheesy in term of power. It is about flavour, not being a wizzy fucktard of not!Tzeentch among pious Spinach Mareens of the Qwisizion. (Cont)
>>
>>51395365
My interrogations left are about the Flesh-Changing. I know that it was a terrible shit, and the Rubric was developed by Hairyman because living in a Daemon World increased the mutations tenfold.
I thought about rituals which were used by the Legion to mitigate the Curse, and which are kind of obsolete because of the evolution of the Curse,
and a Qwisizion-provided gene-medicine which calm down the thing a little, using knowledge unknown at the time of the Great Crusade (chemystry STC discovered by then).
Combined, the two treatments diminish greatly the Curse but do not stop it. My character will eventually be beyond hope of not becoming a Chaos Spawn, and he hopes he will have the occasion to continue to serve Big Emp's dream for an extended time.

What do you think of it?
>>
File: LS.jpg (72KB, 482x641px) Image search: [Google]
LS.jpg
72KB, 482x641px
>>51395365

But wouldn't a space marine from that era virtually immediately turn renegade after finding out what travesty the rulers have made of the imperial truth?

Turning the Emperor into a God for their own gain & control, raping the Lex Imperialis into something which cannot be carried out fairly, total fear of new technology, etc etc etc.

These fuckers need to be cleansed.
>>
>>51385879
These fleshy servo-skulls make me want to punish my RPG enemies by making them into one.
>>
File: swap.jpg (80KB, 800x490px) Image search: [Google]
swap.jpg
80KB, 800x490px
Is there any possibility that there are untainted renegade Alpha Legionnaires out there working to help the emperor?

I hate them as CSMs, but I kinda like that they made their original choice to support Horus due to having been manipulated.
>>
>>51395590
>Is there any possibility
If your question starts with those words, the answer is probably yes. 40k is a big universe, a lot is theoretically possible, it just needs to be handled with care.
That said, fuck the Alpha Legion with a chain-glaive. Sideways. Fucking shitcunt motherfucking Alphas go and fucking die already
>>
>>51392592
It's pretty much up to the discretion of whoever's in charge. Such is the nature of authoritarian systems.
>>
File: 131779839325.jpg (573KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
131779839325.jpg
573KB, 1600x1200px
>>51395645
>[angry]

Why? They were sneaky masters of deception and manipulation that are also competent fighters when push comes to shove? That's pretty awesome.

The way they are portrayed as CSM is as bumbling fucking idiots, really. And yes, the CSM need to die. But the pre-heresy SM are pretty nice.
>>
File: 1409841310157.jpg (16KB, 228x237px) Image search: [Google]
1409841310157.jpg
16KB, 228x237px
>>51395437
>What do you think of it?
I think your memespeak hurts to read and it's a terrible idea just so you can be super special.

But if that's what you want to do to have fun, don't let me stop you.
>>
File: Winter36.jpg (104KB, 627x640px) Image search: [Google]
Winter36.jpg
104KB, 627x640px
>>51395492
That is an excellent point. The character wouldn't last long as a Deathwatch, if he got in conflict with his Legion worshipping Tzeentch, he wouldn't stand the Imperium worshipping the Emperor of Atheism.

In this case, he may perhaps be playable... in no rpg among those edited. I mean, I know I snowflake a little (>>51395985 yes I want to make a special character, but a challenging one that doesn't scrub it on the face of other players. And yes my badpunspeak can be painful, I admit),
But to play this character coherently... I only see a RT game where the captain is an atheist, so an heretic who would not even have fun with warpshitery. Hell its already a fucked postulate and if a GM runs it it will be surely a meeting of The not!Anonymous Snowflakes Group Therapy.

Perhaps it is better to keep it as a potential NPC in the end. It could make a nice encounter for a Deathwatch team, as he could be quite neutral at first, and else helping else hindering depending on how much the killteam's goals go against the Legionnaire's values.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.