[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DM Question on Combat Autonomy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: I don't think so....jpg (16KB, 351x329px) Image search: [Google]
I don't think so....jpg
16KB, 351x329px
I'm a brand new DM running my first campaign. My party has first time players as well as some far more experienced than I.

I've clashed with one of my players frequently on character control, her right to describe her characters actions, thoughts, and feeling, down to minutiae:

> "you all feel concern that if he's not helped soon he will die."
> "my character wouldn't feel that, please don't speak for me."

The issue this week is combat. The player frequently gets frustrated with me because I'm used to the flow being:

Player announces actions -> Player describes intentions/emotions/fluff -> Player rolls die -> DM describes the results, based on the above.

> "I want to move five spaces, dashing and weaving behind the enemy lines, and grin as I try thrusting my sword into the mage's exposed back"
> "Alright, roll it"
> "22!"
> "Definitely a hit, the mage reels back, taken by surprise as your shortsword finds purchase, gasping for a moment as you push the blade, and *Schuck* draw it out"

This frustrates her and she says this lessens her feeling of autonomy and roleplay, in her preference it is:

Player announces actions -> Player rolls die -> DM gives fail/success verdict -> Player RP's out their results.

> "I want to move to the mage and attack it"
> "Okay roll"
> "22!"
> "That's a hit!"
> "I move, dashing and weaving behind the enemy lines, and grin as I thrust my sword into the mage's back, piercing beneath his lungs, smiling, I lift a boot and push his leg for leverage as I pry the sword free"

I have only ever seen it done the first way, in all of my games, in all of my shows, never the other. The problem with her preference is that it often leads to "biting off too much" in her descriptions if you understand.

Besides this, she's a phenomenal player and I don't plan to actually be drastic about anything, If I'm being a little bitch about it, all good, at least I can continue forward with /tg/'s advice.

Will be around to answer any question.

What say you?
>>
>>51333909
Depends on the group and the player.

Talk to her, explain that you are used to narrating but will try to cut back, but at the same time would like her to tone down her descriptions a little bit.
>>
>>51333909
Grow some balls and kill the character the next time she bites off more than she can chew.

The only way for some people to learn is failure. You're doing great. Don't let someone in your game act like they're too good for dm hints, unless they're willing to take the consequences.
>>
>>51333994
You sound fun. I'm sure your friends love you.
>>
>>51333909
>Talk to her, explain that you are used to narrating but will try to cut back, but at the same time would like her to tone down her descriptions a little bit.

Done! We had a real talk after this last session, and she conceded, but definitely a begrudging, sad tone... Clearly not happy, but also not fighting.

So now one of my players is upset, so I need to double-check myself and ask the "am I the problem?" question.
>>
File: 1412192622011.png (20KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1412192622011.png
20KB, 560x407px
>Her
Most of the ladies I've run into put more emphasis on the narrative of the game, so something like this could crop up. Myself, I wouldn't be bothered either way, but it's better to get a gyst of what the group wants. She might want to have that control, but the rest of the group in the same situation might say something like.
>"Uh, I stab the dude?"

So long as the player isn't using it to give themselves little advantages or mitigate risks they would have taken had they known they would succeed in hitting.

>"I stab the troll"
>"a roll of 4 is a miss"
>"I carefully ...."

Versus

>"I stab the troll"
>"a roll of 16 is a hit"
>"With all my strength ...."
>>
>>51333909
I fucking wish my players would take the initiative in narrating things like that.

Often I sort of lead them down that road by giving a couple of suggestions about what should happen and asking questions about the details when they pick one.
>>
>>51333909
>describe her characters actions, thoughts, and feeling, down to minutiae
Your player is right. As a GM, you should not dictate your PCs' mood to them unless something is explicitly overriding their control of it. Your players have very little control in the game, and it's important to let them keep that by not imposing on it.

One way to help with this is to rephrase things. Instead of "you all feel concern that he might die soon" you could leave it at "it looks like he might die soon without help, which seems like a cause for concern". Or "it's a grisly sight that would cause concern in all but the most callus warriors". That can allow you to convey what you expect them to feel, but ultimately leave it up to the players.

>letting players dictate their moves
This is a very good thing that you should encourage. Players should be describing their own actions whenever possible. But you should also be able to take over when there's something crucial in the resolution, like conveying that an enemy has a resistance or something like that.

>over-the-top descriptions
Ask yourself if this is actually a problem. You are playing a fantasy game after all. If it seems like a bit much, try asking her about some of those descriptions seeming a bit more embellished or implausible than you'd like.

>My party has first time players as well as some far more experienced than I.
>Besides this, she's a phenomenal player
My guess is that your player is one of the "far more experienced" ones? She seems to be exhibiting a high level of engagement that would result from a healthy playstyle. As a new GM, you would do well to learn from it. Try asking her about the way her old GM did things.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.