[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

destructible environment/items in TTRPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 20 mins at most.jpg (48KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
20 mins at most.jpg
48KB, 600x400px
So was playing 3.5 last night and with two people taking sunder action and using average damage we destroyed a 10 ft cude of stone wall in about 6 mins. We taking into account of the walls ac for how much power attack was being done, but not 1 counting as a auto miss. The PC's doing it were a soul knife using a heavy pick and rogue with a adamantine dagger. Even factoring out the adamantine dagger and putting in the auto miss on a 1 would not of really made it take that much longer.

At that point the soul knife would of been doing effectivetly 109 damage a minute to the wall and the rogue about 4 damage a minute working with a heavy pick ( it changes the to hit math making were the player needs a 6 to hit). The wall had 900 HP. So it would take about 8 minutes now.

I just do not get why the end outcome is so weird. Its not just unrealistic, it is bad design.

Any one here ever see a rule set with destructible environment rules that were well made?
>>
>>51327657
>3.5 has badly designed rules
HOLD THE PRESSES!

But seriously, PCs tearing down walls and such isn't exactly common enough to make good rules specifically for that. Not to mention that using combat rules for non-combat demolition work is somewhat dumb to begin with.
>>
Pic related, Section 6.2
>>
>>51327657
If you're destroying a wall in a noncombat situation, why would you need to roll to hit the wall? Why not just take 20?
If your issue is with the time it would take to get through a wall, that's a whole different thing.
Is that the issue?
>>
>>51327657

I fucking despise literal roll players.

I mean, this isn't entirely directed at you OP, but you should understand why I'd take offense to 2 people breaking through a 10ft wall of stone in 6 minutes with a fucking knife and a pick because the "rpg math" checked out.

If you're going to go at it like that I don't even see any point in you playing a traditional game- you may as well just play an actual video game like age of mythology or warcraft or something.
>>
>>51329013
>If you're destroying a wall in a noncombat situation, why would you need to roll to hit the wall?

Because it does in fact have a AC 10 just for being itself. However we did not roll, rather just factored the AC as a limiter on power attack.

>Why not just take 20?

Two reasons. First you can only take a 20 on skill check and this is still a attack roll. Second taking a 20 takes 20 times as long as normal. What we were trying to do it take down the wall as fast as possible because we were using scrolls of silence to prevent people from hearing us make a hole.

>If your issue is with the time it would take to get through a wall, that's a whole different thing.
Is that the issue?

Yes. Me and the other players did in fact go with it but it was still a WTF moment. I was the one who figured it out as a means to get to a plot important item ( namely a part of the Rod of Seven Parts). The thing is that it was the only part of the rules to give a idea of how long it would take to do that and the DM did not give a ruling otherwise.

I just wish that there had been better rules recourse.
>>
>>51329209
>I mean, this isn't entirely directed at you OP, but you should understand why I'd take offense to 2 people breaking through a 10ft wall of stone in 6 minutes with a fucking knife and a pick because the "rpg math" checked out.

In my defense It was not a issue that my character could of talk his way pass. We were after a item inside bricked up tomb inside a catacombs guarded by constructs under a temple that the guys running would have every reason to not let us have the item. Because it is part of a item that is the prison for a powerful demon lord. Getting all the parts back to gather lets out said demon lord... Said temple was in fact inside a rather large city also so fighting our way in or out would get out of control real fast.

Also the priests of said temple did not tell us why they were guarding that item ( no one in the party knew in character about the demon lord part). Lastly my character was under a Geas to get all the parts of the item.

We sneaked into the catacombs and needed to get inside said tomb with out making to much noise. The fix was scrolls of silence. I just did not expect it to be 10 damn feet of stone. It is like the DM was trying to force combat and thus a giant bloodbath. So i looked to the rules to see how long it would take to cut the tomb open.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.