[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Ranger Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 416
Thread images: 30

File: 24mGbSm.jpg (81KB, 512x374px) Image search: [Google]
24mGbSm.jpg
81KB, 512x374px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Rangers and Rogues
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2017_01_UA_RangerRogue_0117JCMM.pdf
Don't forget to rate the Artificer in the official survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9c17dda91a1d

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html
Previous thread: >>51316762
What's the most unique ranger companion you've seen?
>>
>>51323268
>DM autokilling you then forcing you to spend your levels to multiclass into weird things
Dear god

A fellow player got hit by a 'you can no longer take levels of your class' thing but they signed up for potential bullshit when they did the thing and so they can't complain, there's a way around it and I even pointed out that actually they were at a prime level for multiclassing into various different things.

You could actually go pact of the blade. 5 levels of warlock nets you extra attack, which is good for rogue. It sounds really odd, but it's one of the few times pact of the blade is actually kind of good. With extra attack, you keep up with rogue damage AND get all the warlock things you can mix with rogue. And you get level 3 spells.

Or you could just keep a single level of warlock. I mean, it's not terrible. There's not really a lot you gain from a single level of warlock, and going two levels for eldritch blast doesn't really help you much either because your charisma is too low for high damage/hit chance and it doesn't sneak attack. And I don't think stuff like invocations alone is enough to justify losing out on sneak attack damage.

>>51325557
Fair enough. As long as you have PAM you should keep up with most everyone considering people probably aren't metagaming hard, though you can't use the bonus action to hex and such which is a shame.
>>
Anons? I'm a wanna-be homebrewing with some big plans and not a lot of other sources for critique, so I could really use some help.

Races: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

I could really use help with the Forgeborn Dwarf, for starters.

Classes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-MEFIyT9jA8dlnomdEUNLIzV3ELhH3FWbcdxb0FSRTY/edit#

Two things in particular that are bugging me:
1: I want to do some Elemental Origins for Sorcerers, and I could use name suggestions for Air, Water and maybe Metal subclasses.

2: I desperately need feedback on how to balance out the "Rotheart" origin, which is a sort of Decay/Fungus Elementalist Origin for Sorcerers.

On a different homebrewing topic, I'm trying to convert a bunch of 4e spells to 5e - would Eldritch Rain (basically, Eldritch Blast multiple targets) be worth converting as a spell, or is it better suite to being an Invocation?
>>
Does Tongues decipher Thieves Cant?
>>
>>51325633

Adding to this, you can also punish them for forcing this on you by taking Devil's Sight and Darkness, Cast Darkness on yourself and take advantage of your Rogue levels.
>>
So I made a retarded move but I think I got overly punished for it. I was in a level 1 all kobold campaign. We were looking for missing members of our tribe and we ended up at a cave surrounded by spider webs. We had been dicking around up to that point so I decided to keep it up by jumping into the web. my plan was to get surrounded by giant spiders and use thunderwave to kill them all. I ended up getting swarmed by normal spiders. The DM had them hit for 6d4 damage which knocked me unconscious immediately. Then when it was the clerics turn the DM said if he used a damaging spell on the swarm it would also hit me and give me 2 failed death saving throws. Then he also said if the cleric used cure wounds the spiders would climb off of me and on to him because he used a touch spell on me. I'll admit I was being a retard but I think my DM went overboard.
>>
>Firbolg

my player did not understand or really read well so he's playing as a bear, a furbolg from wow kind of. Since he has disguise self and belt of pants that I gave him, he's a pretty funny guy. Especially because he's playing ancestral guardian barbarian and has bear spirits.

Onto my questions. I'm a new DM

How do I RP Speech of Beast and Leaf? What do plants know?
I haven't gotten an answer yet....

I have a player with bag pipes of invisibility, he won't stop using them. Every other sentence out of his mouth is bagpipes. What is a way to destroy/hide them that isn't so blatantly spiteful/vindictive? And his character is a perpetually drunk gnome. In-character, he burps mid sentence and slurs, quite a bit, even his actions that don't revolve around bagpipes seem to be what a drunk would do. his character is an artificer and he is using a gun, should I give him disadvantage at times because he's drunk?
>>
I don't understand component costs so well.

>A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell. If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

So if you have an arcane focus, can you ignore the material components ("use in place of")? But then that seems to be contradicted by the next part.

Also, due to roleplay reasons, I'm now Rogue 2/Warlock 1. Was intending to stick to pure Rogue and go Assassin then Alert at Rogue 3 and 4 respectively - am I better off sticking to that and counting Warlock 1 as something to come back to later, or leaning into Warlock and piling all my levels that way?

I like the idea of Eldritch Invocations and Pact of the Blade, but I also like sneak attacks.
>>
>>51325762
Only if a cost is associated with the spell do you require the components.

Some spells say they require a gem of at least 500gp value. Even if you chose an arcane focus you would still need a gem of that value to cast that particular spell.
>>
>>51325762

> I like the idea of Eldritch Invocations and Pact of the Blade, but I also like sneak attacks.

See >>51325726
>>
>>51325726
Yes, this. Do this.
>>
>>51325733
Doing things like giving advantage for being drunk is like saying 'I don't like you, here's a penalty.'

It's honestly better to say 'okay, you're seriously annoying' than to say 'I don't like you, nerf.'

Any powerful being that can't stand him might feasibly burn his bagpipes and send him out, however. If you don't want to ask the player to stop, your best option is to handle it in a social way considering that nobody else in society will want to put up with this gnome.
>>
I'm thinking of playing as a nature cleric with shillelagh is it stupid to take a one level dip into monk to get unarmored defense?
>>
>>51325633
Extra Attack with Sneak Attack and Hex. Enough said.
>>
>>51325799
But not if it requires, say, a petrified newt eye? Just monetary cost?

>>51325809
Thanks, that one's in response to my last post anyway, missed it in the thread transfer.
>>
>>51325875

Yeah, as long as it doesn't specify a gold cost in the spell description.
>>
>>51325633
>DM autokilling you then forcing you to spend your levels to multiclass into weird things

Essentially, we were 'allies' with this evil magic queen, she had an evil mirror, I tried to make a deal with the mirror to betray her, then the next day the mirror told her and my character was dragged through the city by an invisible, untouchable (because we had no magic weapons/useful casts) force, when party members tried to hold onto me, it just caused me damage.

Then I was put into a torture chamber, they tried to bargain for my life using a favour we'd earned, they weren't allowed (nor got to roll). Queen cut off one of my balls, then decided I was to be sacrificed.

Party could have tried to fight the entire city off to save me, but ended up just being at the sacrifice instead.

>You could actually go pact of the blade.
Been reading up on Warlocks since the session and this is what I'm leaning towards. It looks cool for flavour as well. One thing I don't understand is:
>going two levels for eldritch blast
Isn't eldritch blast a cantrip? Can't I have that at first level? I don't know much about magic classes, but that's what I'm understanding from rereading the manual.

>>51325726
>taking Devil's Sight and Darkness
I'm a drow so I get Darkness anyway. This is feeling positive.

So do I want to just pile in on Warlock for Blade Pact, Thirsting Blade, Devil's Sight, pick up Darkness as Drow ability at 5th level?

I've currently got notes of
Cantrips:
>Eldritch Blast
>Prestidigitation
Spells:
>Dissonant Whispers (Cause I like it)
>Hellish Rebuke

Have I made any errors so far?

>>51325937
Cool stuff, thanks.
>>
>>51325875
Most of the not high GP costing material components listed are meant to be used for flavor reasons. Arcane focus basically means that you ignore any material cost below a certain amount (probably around 5gp).

2-3 levels of Warlock can be pretty strong, because of Invocations to help with roleplay stuff, combat stuff (Darkness + Devil's Sight, Hex), and the third level gets you either Pact of the Blade for you to never be unarmed, or Pact of the Tome for some other utility spells.

I don't think I'd go much further into Warlock for the early levels though, and focus back onto Rogue. Probably something like:

> Rogue 3
> Warlock 2-3
> Rogue's 7th level (for Evasion)
> Warlock's 5th level (for 3rd level spells and another Invocation)
> rest in Rogue

By the end, that would have you be Rogue 15/Warlock 5, with a fair bit of DPS thanks to so much Sneak Attack die and some utility via Warlock's Invocations. Rogue 15 also gives you proficiency with Wisdom saving throws, meaning you get good resists at high end levels.

But again, that's a pie in the sky level 20 character, and I don't know how your campaign will go.
>>
>>51326009
If your charisma's low, consider some spells that don't rely on it, like:
>Armor of Agathys
>Hex

Blade Pact has its uses, especially if you want to be a stealthy assassin. As a rogue, you may wish to pick up Greenflame Blade/ Booming Blade (assuming the SCAG cantrips are allowed).
>>
>>51325704
It's really up to your DM, but I would say no.

Thieves cant isn't necessarily a language. It's using gestures or arranging words of a different language in a certain way so that there would be a second meaning to anyone else who can understand thieves can't.

Its like during the american civil war where southerners against slavery would tug on their ears and whatnot while talking with another southerner to convey secrets such as safe spaces for escaping slaves and other tidbits they wouldn't want the knowledge of in the general public's hands.
>>
>>51326009
Just the standard 'lolwizards' fuckery, then.
Why DMs always involve players too low a level to oppose with ridiculously high level magic casters I'll never know. At least make the players feel like they have options.

Oh, right. Yes, you get eldritch blast at level 1, but it's only really great at level 2 when you can add charisma to the damage with an invocation.

Personally I'd recommend taking agonizing blast as an invocation at level 3 and using it once you reach level 3 warlock, because you'll make two attacks with it. Once you reach level 5 warlock, switch the agonizing blast invocation with extra attack and in the future you can use a hand crossbow or something if you need ranged attacks.
>>
>>51325839
play a lizardfolk if you aren't bent on playing another race, they get racial unarmored defense

As long as you can get a reason why a lizard folk would be a cleric anyways
>>
>>51326009
The idea behind going 2 levels of Warlock is to grab Agonizing Blast Invocation for Eldritch Blast, letting you get your CHA mod. to damage rolls. That's part of the benefit behind the "sorclock" build; 2 level dip into Warlock for more damage on EB, then just grab whatever spells you want from Sorcerer.

Other useful Invocations to get via a 2 level dip into Warlock:

Devil's Sight (might not be as useful because you're a Drow)
Eldritch Sight (infinite Detect Magic is useful, helps free up a slot for your other arcane caster)
Mask of Many Faces (never reveal your true face to anyone ever again)

If you get to 5th level in Warlock for the third Invocation, and you do end up going Pact of the Blade, then you basically have to grab Thirsting Blade for the Extra Attack option, giving you two chances to hit with Sneak Attack.
>>
>>51326109
Unfortunately I doubt lizardfolk would be allowed in this campaign and I don't have the official stats for them
>>
>>51326095
>>51326123

The whole thing's sort of irritating at this level because I'm forced to make a call between the Assassin/Alert route I had planned (and thus giving up on all the cool Warlock stuff for quite a while) or the Warlock stuff (which would tie me in for a while unless I live with suboptimal setup).

Do you think I can get by with 14 Charisma if I commit to Warlock until R2/W5 and then go only rogue levels? I'm leaning towards it because it seems cool for flavour and the higher level Warlock stuff interests me, but I don't know if it'll just make me dead weight.
>>
>>51325726
What does Darkness do mechanically?
>>
>>51326316
Causes blindness:
>A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition… Darkness creates a heavily obscured area.

Which offers:
>A blinded creature can't see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
>Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature's attack rolls have disadvantage.

And potentially unseen attackers:
>When you attack a target you can't see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you're guessing the target's location or you're targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn't in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the DM typically just says that the attack missed, not whether you guessed the target's location correctly.
>When a creature can't see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it.
If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

tl;dr:
>blinds everyone, including you, but Devil's Sight means it doesn't blind you, so you get advantage against it and it fails any sight-based checks.
>>
File: 1484256870858.jpg (96KB, 581x900px) Image search: [Google]
1484256870858.jpg
96KB, 581x900px
> tfw no arcana next week
>>
>>51325733
Belt of pants? Like regular belt to hold up pants?
"Here have ye a mighty magical item. Seems like a regular belt, buy alas no. Because when wearing this item your pants won't fall to your knees. And your dignity and honour shall remain for ever!"
>>
>>51326237
I don't know, you're perfectly fine if you adopt a run-and-gun sort of tactic.

I mean, you have cunning action. You can cast eldritch blast, bonus action dash and get the fuck away.
Warlock's main selling point is ranged combat.

The main issue is fitting this in with the party, but at least until warlock gives you extra attack at level 5 where you might want to try something else it opens up a rather interesting strategy, if only you have the space and the freedom to use it.

>>51326316
You can hide in the darkness as an action (Bonus action for rogues, some rangers) to make it so your position is unknown. Otherwise, your position is known.

If you do not have devil's sight, blindsight etc. then pretty much nothing happens.
You cannot use spells and abilities which require line of sight of the target, others cannot do this to you.
If you have devil's sight, you gain advantage on attacks and enemies have disadvantage to hit you with attacks.
>>
Im debt free now which means that i have tons of disposable income. Im looking at buying miniature booster packs but i dont know which line is the best for maybe getting awesome iconic monsters. They have a line for each of the published adventure paths plus two "Monster Menagerie" lines. Which is best?
>>
>>51325727
As a DM, I find you idea very creative and I would had rewarded it. 6d4 for a swarm of spiders is excessive. Dick DM,
>>
>>51326394
I'm pissed because I have a new campaign starting and wanted to play a sorcerer. Now I'll only have Shadow one available for being overpowered.
>>
>>51326481
Swarms are bullshit anyways, why would a bunch of vermin be a threat unless it's like hornets or something?
>>
Hey, I'm in a group and my character is supposed to be a Silver Flame veteran that got stranded in the middle of an evil country and spent years fighting evil on the edge of civilization. How do I make a Silver Flame ranger work?
>>
>>51326516
Get 100 doses of a minor poison and it becomes a serious poison

London rats will eat through your fucking femur, imagining 20 of them is terrifying
>>
>>51326394
Wait, for real?
>>
>>51326544
yep, Sorcerer on 30th
>>
>>51326417
>The main issue is fitting this in with the party

We're sort of an in-and-out group, real world - there's 2-3 of us who've showed up every week, but it's not just friends and stuff, it's a meetup, and we lose most of our party each week and get another set of 2-3 new people.

This week we had 0 casters, which didn't work out so well. Last week we had about 4 casters, when we could really have used some fighters.

I think ultimately, anyone who's a higher level will be important, regardless of the build.

>Warlock's main selling point is ranged combat.

The way it's building up in my mind, I'm thinking I'm going to end up a suboptimal roguelock (I'm not too worried about minmaxing, just don't want to be dead weight).

Warlock to 5 for the blade pact and extra attack, then go back to Rogue for the sneak attack rolls again. By that time I'll have Darkness and Devil's Sight, which essentially guarantees sneak attack every round.

The only real downside is losing out on the sneak attack dice until later on, but I think it'll be worth it for the RP involvements and the increased utility of having spells alongside Rogue build.
>>
>>51326568
> Implying it will be sorcerer
> Implying it won't be joint arcana for sorcerer, warlock and wizard
> One subclass for each
>>
So, we're looking are Sorcerer, Warlock and Wizard sub-classes in the upcoming UAs. Anyone got any ideas what kinds of sub-classes we might see when WoTC finally shares them?
>>
>>51326599
So long as they make bladelock not a fucking joke.
>>
>>51326612
> Fey bloodline sorcerer, undead slayer bloodline sorcerer
> Seelie court wizard, anti-necromancer wizard
> Warlock gets shafted
Screencap this.
>>
>>51326612
For warlocks, will they be giving us new patrons or new pacts?
>>
>>51326623
Bladelock is not a subclass, you fucking mong, just like tomelock and chainlock isn't. It's just a single class feature. You're not supposed to become supergood at both magic and using sword because of a single class feature.
>>
Our revised ranger dominates fights. It's pretty wild.
>>
>>51326646
Maybe both?

What're they missing, patron-wise? We've got a good one now, but that feels like a one-off. Maybe a neutral patron? Might get a true neutral patron.
>>
>>51326578
When you consider extra attack, you've more than made up for the lost sneak attack dice.

It's an extra 1d8+5 potential damage with an extra chance to get your sneak attack. Compared to 2.5d6 it makes up for it.
>>
>>51326674
Maybe we'll get Death and be able to do a good necrolock.
>>
>>51326668
I don't want to be super good, but I do want to be viable.
>>
>>51326612
None, I want Theurge classes based on the FR belief that "arcane" magic is all basically the same thing just from different sources

A single archetype that varies depending on the class you are that loses some stuff and emulates the other two
>>
>>51326623
>Select a Greatsword as your pact weapon.
>Can summon it from nothing at any moment.
>No down side.

It's actually not bad if you make a beefy warlock but it could do with a bit more support.
>>
>>51326712
Then play a class actually designed for melee combat. Like hellknight paladin they've recently released.
>>
>>51326674
Patrons I could personally see would be:
* Angelic Patron
* Some kind of healer patron
* "Dark Mother" Patron ala Lamashtu or Shub-Niggurath
* "Beast Lord" Patron ala Jhebbel-Sag
* "Doomspeaker" Patron out to usher in the apocalypse
* Elemental/Primordial Patron
* Sha'ir and/or Wu Jen Subclass
>>
>>51326679
Cool shit. There's even a sword I want to get because it'd be a great pact weapon.

Only downside is it currently belongs to the evil magic queen who killed me and caused this whole mess. In theory, she sacrificed me to her patron and I'm now his servant, so we're on the same side. I don't know to what extent I can get away with betraying her AGAIN...
>>
>>51326750
Apocalypse Warlock would be pretty good, but how would they avoid making it look like "Fire and Brimstone" and just making another Fiend pact.
>>
>>51326728
I could do that, and eldritch blast spam would still be a better option.

Wouldn't a dexlock be better than a strlock?
>>
>>51326578
>Party composition is nebulous at best
>consistency is the more important factor

That might be the reason you were forced into Warlock. You'll need that gish utility if you're one consistently showing up.
>>
>>51326765
I figured an Entropy focus; lot of Necrotic Damage and Debuffs. At least, that's what the version of the Doomspeaker I wanna try and write is going to be like.
>>
>>51326009

>EB

don't bother with EB. Take 2 levels to get some neato stuff but your charisma is too low to make any of the Attack roll or saving throw spells worth it. Rogue will get you more sneak attack dice anyways.
>>
>>51326779
I don't think she's thinking that far ahead. She was fully banking on having me roll a new character until I asked if I could spend my inspiration persuading the guy I was sacrificed to to let me come alive again.

I'm having fun, but it's her first time DMing and she has a tendency towards strong-arming players into things. Not railroading, exactly, just making them not do things that would be hard to work around.

We've had:
>dragon comes and kills a guy without any rolls or anything (though he was level 1) because he wanted to burn the plot-central forest down
>same guy gets revived because he apologised and said he wouldn't do it again
>guy making too many real world jokes instead of playing so she drops him in a pit, no rolls (though it led onto RP)
>my guy getting dragged through a city by an unseen force with no way to resist
>evil magic queen knows my character's religious beliefs, fears, and desires without any clear reason why
>evil magic queen is a character DM played in a different campaign
>>
File: Bishop.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>51326859
>evil magic queen knows my character's religious beliefs, fears, and desires without any clear reason why
>evil magic queen is a character DM played in a different campaign
Run.
>>
>Working on a homebrew
>It's OP as fuck
>The only way I can think to trim it down further would be to remove class proficiencies and add a "you can't multiclass with this archetype" clause

On a scale of 1-10 how shit an idea is that?

Making a Barbarian/Monk hybrid, was thinking of removing martial weapon and armor proficiencies to make up for the fact that it's got too many features for an archetype.
>>
>>51326895
I've thought about it, but I joined a group meetup and got assigned to this game, and I don't really want to swap to another meetup.

I'm hoping time softens the edges. Alternatively, once I have the rules fully in my understanding, I might start DMing instead. Done so for other games.
>>
>>51326859
Tell her that being a DM isn't playing god or getting to blow up the party just because she feels like it.
>>
>>51326912
Assuming 10 is the most shit, about a 45
>>
>>51326730
Have you read why the guys going bladelock? He's not at much of a choice here
>>
>>51326895
Detect Thoughts, one of the most basic mid-level social spells.
>>
Why on earth would you go Chainlock when Tomelock gets Find Familiar anyway as a ritual?
>>
>DM forces player to make their character Bob take a level in a class they don't want
Simple solution: Bob commits suicide, next sessions the party is introduced to Bob II, who is the build the player actually wanted to play.
>>
>>51326912
Become a better brewmaster and make it work
>>
>>51326989
Chainlock gets better familiars. Invisibility at will, ho!
>>
>>51326975
But a target know when it's under Detect thoughts, and from what I can tell the DM did not tell him that.
>>
>>51327063
I've been trimming it down to the point where it's only "overpowered as fuck" instead of "what the fuck were you thinking" tier.

Might actually get it somewhere usable in a bit.
>>
File: 1483066431523.png (682KB, 995x1148px) Image search: [Google]
1483066431523.png
682KB, 995x1148px
Need some homebrew advice. The biggest problem I have when homebrewing is narrowing down the focus of a concept, so this has taken a while for me to define satisfactorily to myself.

I am trying to make a class that mechanically fills the "Intelligent-Half-Caster" niche I feel exists alongside the Ranger (wisdom half caster) and Paladin (charisma half caster).

Thematically, I want to make something that feels like a Good-aligned Warlock. A spellcaster that seeks out the forbidden and lost lore of the world, empowering themselves by cheating at the magic game. Knights who invoke powerful Runes to enchant their gear. Witch Doctors who bind demonic and other spirits to work their will. Scholars who bend Truenames in order to steal magic from the cosmos.

A friend mentioned that I seem to want a Sherlock Holmes + Indiana Jones hybrid with half-casting added on top.

How do I narrow this down more? Is there anything here that leaps out to any of you as a full concept?
>>
>>51326674
Well, 4e had:

Fiend Pact
Fey Pact
Star Pact
Vestige Pact
Sorcerer-King Pact
Elemental Pact

I would say the last 4 deserve some sort of representation. I know people say GOO = Star, but I think they represent different things mechanically. GOO seems more mind influence/control, while Star was more divination and subversion of natural laws.
>>
>>51327125
You want artificer.
>>
>>51327084
If you probe, yes. You can read surface thoughts without anyone noticing, and over a few minutes things like "I hope we can kill that terrible lich" or "Tiamat save me, this is boring" or "That guy has a nice ass." could reasonable appear.
>>
>>51327125
>I am trying to make a class that mechanically fills the "Intelligent-Half-Caster" niche I feel exists alongside the Ranger (wisdom half caster) and Paladin (charisma half caster).

I mean.. Eldritch Knight is a thing.
>>
>>51327148
Isn't Artificer a tinkerer and crafter?

>>51327155
EK is a quasi-caster. And it's a Fighter first, where I want this to be a mage who specs into fighting.
>>
>>51327155
As is Arcane Trickster rogue, or just plain multiclassing a wizard. Wizard multiclassing is usually reasonable, because they get a lot of useful spells even without investing that many levels in it.
>>
>>51327181
Knowledge Cleric?
>>
>>51326670
Was he born to be wild?
>>
>>51327181
>I want this to be a mage who specs into fighting
Multiclass Bladesinger Wizard with Champion or Battlemaster Fighter. The synergy is pretty decent, if your DM rules that the Extra Attack feature from Bladesinger adds on to the Extra Attack Fighter gets at certain intervals.
>>
>>51326009
>>51326850
Like I said, if you're aiming for 5 levels of warlock, DO bother with EB.

It's 2d10+4 across two attacks with 14 charisma with +5 to hit at level 5 when you can use it at range (and the fact you're fast as fuck with bonus action dash) compared to 2d6+3 +6 to hit, one attack if you used a hand crossbow AND got sneak attack.

As I also said, ditch it once you hit warlock level 5. Once you get extra attack, shortbow is better because you can develop your sneak attack with it.

Ranged options are good.
>>
>>51327181
>where I want this to be a mage who specs into fighting.

Bladesinger.

>>51327184
Aye, very true. EK into wizard or AT into wizard works spectacularly depending on if you want the battlemage flavour or the more agile spellblade flavour.
>>
>>51327210
>>51327213
>>51327225
No. I'm specifically only looking to homebrew. No multiclassing.
>>
>>51327137
I miss star pact. That shit was cool.
>>
>>51327257
Okay, so homebrew your half-caster and have it progress as if it was taking half its levels in Wizard and half its levels in a fighter archetype.
>>
>>51327096
Post it and let the crucible of /tg/ help refine it
>>
>>51327152
Yes but he said she knew everything about him. You can't learn everything about someone from surface thoughts.
>>
>>51325727
>Bites.
>Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: 10 (4d4) piercing damage, or 5 (2d4) piercing damage if the swarm has half of its hit points or fewer.

I guess your DM could claim it was 1 and a half swarm of spiders, but still just having them hit you, that's a dick move. He should have had you roll initiative or something to fight the spiders, or if you expressed your plan to thunderwave the spiders, let you ready that action as you entered the web. The thunderwave plan would have been pretty cool as a solution IMO.
>>
>>51327257
If you want to homebrew, you could theoretically take the paladin chassie and work off of that. Paladin is probably the only properly working gish-class so it would be a decent base to build upon.
>>
>>51327257
>homebrewing an entire class
I hope you know what you're in for, boyo.

>>51327225
Bladesinger is less of a fighting wizard and more of a LOOK AT ALL MY AC wizard. With a bit of fighting.

>>51327291
Who needs detect thoughts when you're a self-insert DMPC godmoder who knows everything because why not?
>>
>>51327323
This was going to be my suggestion. Paladin's probably the most successful gish class, so take that template and style of formatting and go from there.
>>
>>51327333
Aye, I agree, but it's the only wizard that's really close to being able to fight as it does get an extra attack and whatnot.

Not that I understand why you'd want to make a close combat wizard in the first place when they get so many retardedly powerful spells.
>>
File: plootcyber.png (212KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
plootcyber.png
212KB, 400x400px
>>51325727
Now I read it agaaain...
It's kind of silly, isn't it..?

Why would unintelligent, normal spiders attack a cleeric for casting a speell? Why do they eeven know what a spell iiis?
>>
>>51326474
I would personally go with the monster menagerie ones, those seem the most generic
>>
>>51326989
>>51327067
On further inspection Sprite can turn invisible at will and can shoot opponents for 1 damage and DC 10 Con save or they're poisoned. Sounds okay right? Reading further: if the saving throw result is 5 or lower they fall unconscious... Even high level characters without proficiency in con saves could do that. Keep in mind the Sprite can do that every turn as well.
>>
To go along with the topic of homebrewing a, "Intelligence half-caster" I'll post this thing another anon was working on previously.

I do know he was looking to balance it more to the point where it could be usable and not OP, but it could provide some decent ideas for you to do. Or things you should not do.
>>
>>51327361
Surprised you didn't pick up on that the second it happened.
The entire thing is iffy, your DM probably has it out for you.
>>
>>51327323
While I am using Paladin and Ranger as jumping-off points, they have enough differences in chassis and format to where I can't really follow too closely. Also, I don't want to fit the same roles as those classes, so no Arcane Smite. I need to figure out something else to burn spell slots on besides spells.

>>51327333
>I hope you know what you're in for, boyo.
It's basically been hell for the last week while I've been throwing shit at a wall hoping something would stick. Closest I got was bringing Arcane Marks back and making them a whole class feature. Trouble was it started to feel like an afterthought to the rest of it, and now my first and second drafts are scrapped.
>>
>>51327361
How much time did your party spend dicking around before that?
>>
>>51327370
>Halfcaster
>up to 6th level spells
>in 5e
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>51327125
So you can kind of already place each of the classes into an array. Look at the current difference between the current axis (like how all the Cha classes interact and fill different niches, and then how all the full-fighty classes fill niches, etc). Then look back into some DnD history to see what already created concepts fulfill an Int-based gish.

Thinking about possibilities myself, the Duskblade immediately comes to mind.
>>
>>51327257
I'm with >>51327274. Give it the proficiencies of Fighter and d8 damage dice, then half its level of Fighter features at odd levels and half its level of wizard features at even levels. It follows the paladin spells per day table, but uses Int and a spellbook. It gains one spell known per level and can buy new ones from other wizards or scrolls, like wizards. Pick your favourite archetype from fighter and wizard and have it progress in them like the rest of the class, or make a few options with different combinations. I'd probably stay away from Champion since you can't GreenFlameBlade with your Battlemaster dice.
>>
>>51327398
>>51327375
Not actually the OP but I was talking to them about it beforehand and ended up getting in some sort of a fight about 4e swarms of spiders and 5e swarms of spiders and all that.

I thought a swarm of spiders eating a person whole was normal, but now that I look at it spiders then swarming a second target for casting magic is starting to get into really dodgey territory where these spiders might be some sort of evil hivemind.
>>
Anybody got the consolidated character lists? Both official and kitchen sink.
>>
>>51327418
I'm an idiot.
*I'd probably stay away from Battlemaster since you can't GreenFlameBlade with your Battlemaster maneuvers.
>>
Homebrew topic? Just my luck. Any opinions on this?
>>
>>51327283
I'm still trimming it down further but I will in a bit.

It's that shitty Path of the Fist one that I've posted here a few times in the past.
>>
>>51327430
>evil hivemind spiders
Welp, got a new idea for my campaign. Thanks man.
>>
>>51327400
The 6th level spells the class gets are 3 blaster spells, True Seeing, and Globe of Invulnerability.

This class was meant more as a port of the class of the same name back from 3.5, which was an INT-based gish class that focused mostly on blaster spells.
>>
>>51327472
Ok first of, why does your ally's bonus for pre-planning require you to be conscious at the start of battle?

Surely the point of pre-planning is that your bit is already done when everyone is rolling initiative?
>>
>>51327370
>spellcasting feature
>6th level spell slots max
>3 level 1 spell slots, 1 level 2 spell slot
>4/2/1 level 1/2/3 spell slots
Annnnnd into the trash it goes.

Complete misunderstanding of the spellcasting feature is the first way to identify someone who doesn't know what they're doing with homebrew.
It's the biggest rookie mistake and it ALWAYS happens and I always look for it before anything else.

>>51327488
You're misunderstanding.

This is the spellcasting feature.

The spellcasting feature does not work this way. You do not get to choose how many spell slots the spellcaster gets, you simply gain spellcasting levels at certain intervals.
>>
>>51327482
Am I crazy, but isn't there also a DnD monster that's a spider who climbed inside a dead lich's skull, started absorbing all sorts of uncool magic and megalomania, and then grew big enough to crawl around while wearing the skull?
>>
>>51327383
Let's break it down even more: do you want this INT-based half-caster to be a Tank, DPS, Heals, or Utility?

Based on the fact that it's an INT-based caster, that almost guarantees it can't be a healer unless it does something like the Artificer with situational healing that only works once per character per long rest.
>>
>>51326009
What type of Rogue are you? Swashbuckler? Assassin? I would recommend not going into path of the blade if you are dual wielding, take path of the tome or chain and get booming blade so you can take advantage of the disengage action or the Swashbuckler's Fancy Footwork.
>>
>>51327472
As a long time wizard player - I'd play it. I actually quite like the hardy battle veteran feel of it.

Not sure where to place it in regards of balance. Tactician seems a bit strong since it basically is a party-wide Alert feat.
>>
>>51327216
I'm presuming once I hit Warlock 4 it's sensible to throw ability improvements into Charisma?

>>51327555
Neither, Rogue 2/Warlock 1. So far just gone with rapier and throwing daggers, haven't even got a crossbow yet.
>>
>>51327548
I honestly don't know, our usual DM is an arachnophobe so he tends to avoid shit that has spiders in it.

Though I do recall Phase Spiders being pretty nasty.
>>
>>51327548
No, but there are demiliches who are basically starving liches. They look like normal skulls, but when you approach they rise into the air and scream, and if you fail the save you die.
>>
>>51327505
Because no matter how much you tell someone a plan, when the person who keeps the group together tactically gets taken out, it not only lowers morale but becomes chaos when people lose focus on what they're supposed to do next. At least, that's how I justified it. Is that reasoning too stupid? I added it in to be somewhat flavorful and to lower the power of it.

>>51327563
Balance wise, I put it just above most arcane traditions 2nd level, and lower than Bladesinger's. Once per long rest I feel balances it out when you consider you probably aren't starting with a 18 or higher Int score and 4 hours isn't a long time when a DM can screw you over on timing. Only to really be used when you know for sure there's a fight coming.
>>
>>51327525
So do you think it would work better as a half-caster then, and just cut out the 6th level spells and give it the same spellcasting progression as Paladin and Ranger?

It is a port of a 3.5 class, and the 3.5 class did go up to 6th level spells. Maybe you adjust the levels the class gets it's higher level spells to where it only gets a new spell level every 3 levels (level 1, 4, 7, 11, 14, 17).
>>
File: 1475467892491.jpg (434KB, 800x1118px) Image search: [Google]
1475467892491.jpg
434KB, 800x1118px
>>51327411
Hmmm.

Seems like Charisma has the Damage role done. Wisdom is mostly healing, buffing, with some other toys thrown in. Intelligence is usually the catch-all versatility choice.

>>51327551
Utility. I intended the class's damage to be from fighting style and martial weapons, plus using some magic to make the hits harder ala the Ranger.
>>
>>51326859
>>evil magic queen knows my character's religious beliefs, fears, and desires without any clear reason why
I had this but it was every other PC.

Now they don't get to read my backstory.
>>
>>51327588
Would a Swashbuckler work for your character? It would be a really good approach as you could run with Hex, Fancy Footwork, Eldritch Blast, Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, and your patron features. Plus you don't have to spam darkness to get sneak attack as a Swashbuckler you just get it.
>>
>>51327646
I have two DMs. One gets to see my backstory, because he always does something interesting with it. The second doesn't, because he always just has his BBEG kill my NPC friends and relatives for no other reason than to make my character hate him.
>>
>>51327125
I think the problem is that you're starting with a design concept (INT half caster) rather than starting where the magic happens: at the table. Think to yourself of a fantasy archetype that someone might want to play in D&D which would fit in D&D, but they currently can't really play. Think of your favorite spellswords in fiction, and ask yourself: what about them can't I do with the current options? Are you frustrated that you can't quickly swap between swordplay and magic like Geralt? Is it annoying that you can't use enchantment and illusion spells to augment you combat capabilities like a GW2 Mesmer? Do you dislike the fact that the Eldritch knight needs heavy armor to be most effective and can't combine stealth and magic like Corvo? All three of those examples are archetypes I would build a half Int caster to accommodate. While you might need to write up new spells for these archetypes, I would argue that Blood Hunter, Valor Bard, Eldritch Knight, and Arcane Trickster don't really scratch the itch those characters give me. If I can play Gimli or Legolas simply by focusing my Fighter into a Str Champion or a Dex Battlemaster, I should be able to use this new class to achieve the "Moderately armored but deft in blade and spell" styles I mentioned earlier. Really, the archetypes should be what makes the class unique flavor wise, with as much or more differentiation in playstyle compared to Warlocks and their patrons.
>>
>>51327632
Ok, then you give it d8 or d10 hit die (d8 if you want it to be utility-dps, d10 if you want it to be more utility-tank), grab most of the utility spells, let them cast certain spells as rituals (Detect Magic, Identify, etc.), and make sure they get Hunter's Mark or Hex so they can deal more damage in melee.

Figure out what you want them to be able to wear gear-wise, maybe get some minor benefits via class features for survivability if they won't have something like Cunning Action or Ki points to Dash from a Bonus Action.
>>
>>51327713
Speaking of Blood Hunter, is it in the Mega or no? I think Mercer's Gunslinger archetype is, not sure on his other 5e homebrew stuff.
>>
>>51327630
That's not it at all.

If you want the spell slots as they've been mentioned, do not call it the 'spellcasting' feature.
That is not the spellcasting feature.

The spellcasting feature works as follows:
>choose a stat: int, wis, or cha. That's your spellcasting thing.
>choose a method of spell storing: Free switching on long rest, change one on level up, spellbook.
>provide spell list. You may limit spell schools if needed.
>Blah blah blah 8+modifier+profmod save blah blah some stuff this really isn't important I'm sure everybody understands this
>Also long rests and stuff

Now here's the important part
>you gain spellcasting levels at certain intervals
For a full spellcaster, this is every level.
For a half spellcaster, this is level 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19.
For a third spellcaster, this is level 3, 4, 7, 11, 14, 17, 20.
For a hypothetical fourth spellcaster, this is level 4, 5, 9, 13, 17.

First spellcasting level: You have 2 level 1 slots.
Second spellcasting level: You have 3 level 1 slots.
Third spellcasting level: You have 4 level 1 spell slots and 2 level 2 spell slots.

And so forth.

I know it sounds incredibly anal and yes I'm being a bit dickish but that's simply how the spellcasting feature works. You can't say 'Oh, you get 3 level 1 spell slots and 1 level 2 spell slot at X level' because that is no longer the spellcasting feature, it's something else and must be renamed, much like 'pact magic' isn't called 'spellcasting'.
>>
File: Curse.png (56KB, 597x623px) Image search: [Google]
Curse.png
56KB, 597x623px
Hi 5eg, Im currently playing around with a homebrew large single-dungeon adventure, and I want a disease/curse to have a big role in the experience, I was wondering what you'd think of this? feedback is very welcome!

pic related
>>
>>51327713
>Are you frustrated that you can't quickly swap between swordplay and magic like Geralt?
>Do you dislike the fact that the Eldritch knight needs heavy armor to be most effective and can't combine stealth and magic like Corvo?
Shit, this is exactly the kind of itch I have for an Int-halfcaster. That's spot on! If I went with the "Not-Evil Warlock" concept, I would have based the archetypes off strange and little known magic, like perhaps a couple based off the classes from the old Tome of Magic.

>>51327726
I want to give it a d10, if only because Paladin and Ranger do as well, so I suppose a Utility Tank is where I need to aim my energies?
>>
>>51327755
So you're being anal about the lack of explanation on how spell levels and spell slots are gained? Isn't that more of an editing oversight than anything else?
>>
>>51326394
>we're gonna do weekly releases for a few months
>except this week
>oh and christmas
>actually it's two weeks
>and this week
>oh and this other week
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT
>>
>>51327688
Oh I forgot to add I had +9 to deception and yet everyone knew I was playing a warlock cause I let them read my backstory.

I'm pretty sure my DM would kick me out if I didn't show him my back story, and then he'd bitch about me on /tg/ Again.
>>
>>51327807
If you got for Utility-Tank, then you start stepping into the area where an EK is, as that is one of their roles.
>>
>>51326612
FEY SORCERER
UNDEAD SORCERER
BATTLEMASTER SORCERER

FEY WARLOCK
UNDEAD WARLOCK
BATTLEMASTER SORCERER

FEY WIZARD it's overpowered
UNDEAD WIZARD it's overpowered
BATTLEMASTER WIZARD it's overpowered
>>
>>51327667
Reading up on it now, it's not arcana I've looked into much.

...Does Toujours l’Audace just mean you get free sneak attacks every time you fight someone in melee alone?

This would synergise well with bolstering charisma for Warlock too.

I like it. Thanks anon.
>>
>>51327826
No you inept fucktard, he's telling you to read the god damned book and learn what features actually fucking mean.
>>
>>51327826
It's more of a sign that whoever made the thing is a rookie since they don't quite understand 5e in its entirety.

5e is simple enough and easy to make stuff on the spot, but once you get down to the nitty-gritty it's actually not as soft and fluffy as it appears on the outside.
If you want to make an entire class that can be applied to many different games, you've gotta know the system inside-out.
>>
>>51327807
For the swapping between magic and swordplay, I'd make it so that you can cast any of your (CLASSNAME) spells as a bonus action, as that's something that all the archetypes would probably need. As for stealth, steel, and sorcery in equal measure, that's something I would limit to a subclass. For example, you could have the stealth subclass essentially "be" Corvo with your power source being The Outsider with numbers filed off, just like Blood Hunter's Order of the Mutant is a Witcher with the numbers filed off.
>>
>>51327839
That's a good point. Utility-DPS would be the other way to go, but that implies that their martial abilities would take a sort of backseat to damage through spells.

I think I'm going about this wrong. I keep trying to make this a Fighter+Wizard, when perhaps I really want a Rogue+Wizard, or even a Bard+Warlock. Or am I mixing up thematics and mechanics?

>>51327910
So a half-caster martial with an optional stealth archetype?

>>51327852
>BATTLEMASTER SORCERER
I know you're making a joke, but this gets me hard.
>>
>>51327864
You should download the Swords of the Coast book as they reworded it. You get sneak attack as long as there is no creature within 5 feet of you aside from the target. You still apply to the normal sneak attack rules as well. Best part btw you don't have to keep taking levels into Warlock you can just stop at 3 and put the rest into Swashbuckler increasing your Sneak Attack.
>>
>>51327953
Yeah, probably with the archetype defining spells added like a Cleric Domain, so that when you pick the fighty archetype you can have thunderwave to Aard people with or Misty Step to sneak around with.
>>
>>51326712
The only issue with bladelock imo is the eldritch plast + agonizing blast outdamages it at range. If you can get a cool magic weapon as a bladelock you can be effective enough.

It would be nice if bladelock got an extra invocation to offset the fact that you have to take 2 for maximum effectiveness.
>>
Could I multiclass with two distinct paths in the same class? ie, could I go EK and battlemaster?
>>
>>51328063
Not officially, but sure
>>
File: fist v3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
fist v3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
r8 this further trimmed down shitheap.
>>
File: bloggif_58749214d17d4.gif (776KB, 397x400px) Image search: [Google]
bloggif_58749214d17d4.gif
776KB, 397x400px
So, confession time, DMs.

What stuff from 4e have you brought into your campaign? Creatures? Class paths?
>>
>>51327755
So I'm the one that made the homebrew/port, and I do want it to be a legit option for people to consider.

I'm looking at what you said in the second half of your post (the, "gaining spellcaster levels at certain intervals" portion) and confused about it, as I'm looking through the books for similar wording about what you are saying, so I can apply it to the port and make it more balanced.

But you're talking about when the class/archetypes get new spell slots, spell levels, and spells known/learned, and that the (for lack of a better term) curve of getting those new spell slots, spell levels, and spells known/learned should be at a fixed, consistent rate. And that currently, my port doesn't make sense because there is no curve.
>>
>>51328183
I came from Pathfinder so I'm having to rebuild some creatures that were not in the game like the Graveknights and Accuser Devils.
>>
File: PZO8531-Torius.jpg (79KB, 443x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PZO8531-Torius.jpg
79KB, 443x1000px
>party takes random human sailor NPC as party member. dont have a sailor statblock so i use the commoner one.
>NPC actually survives adventures, gains EXP and levels, they decide to make him a storm sorcerer.
>make a character sheet for the NPC, use the human variant to give him a 12 in CHA with the actor feat and 11 in CON. everything else is at 10.
>friend says hes willing to join game and play as npc to take it off my plate. now hes just playing a shity sorcerer and getting his ass kicked.

is there a fair and balanced way to give his stats a boost so hes not playing a worse version of something he could of rolled normally by using the standard array? or can i just say he finds a powerful potion or something that increases a stat permanently? hes lvl 3 now
>>
>>51328198
Not him, but essentially you broke the mold.

Your Duskblade port is supposed to be a Half-Caster. In 5e, that is explicitly a caster who can eventually develop 5th level spellcasting. There is no 6th level caster, as it goes against the system specs.

Copy the Paladin spellcasting progression.
>>
>>51328229
Just replace his character sheet with a proper Human/Variant Human Point Buy one and pretend it never changed.
>>
>>51327953
If you want to keep with the INT-based half-caster, then you have to basically toss out the comparisons to Wizard as they are the only other pure INT-based caster in the books right now (yes, Mystic exists but they operate on Spell Point system and not Spell Slot system).

If you want Utility-DPS then you're talking about stuff like Duskblade, Hexblade, AT, Arcane Archer, etc.
>>
>>51328265
Yeah this. Just give him the same point buy as the other players
>>
I'll ask here, rather than make a thread somewhere.
I may be playing AD&D tomorrow, The Temple of Elemental Evil. I've never played before, or any tabletop game since a short White Wolf thing in college, and I wanna know what Handbook edition to read, and can't ask before it's too late. Is that campaign 1E onry? How can I best prepare?
>>
>>51328265
>>51328297
sounds like a simple solution, i never did point buy before but ill use it, thanks
>>
>>51328326
So give him whatever stat method you gave the other players. Just fix his NPC states now he's not an NPC, this is simple
>>
>>51328288
>basically toss out the comparisons to Wizard as they are the only other pure INT-based caster in the books right now
Not sure I understand. Do you mean avoid having a spellbook? Or something else I'm too thick to understand?
>>
>>51328242
>>51328198
It's not like that.

You CAN have a caster with sixth level spell slots.

But it wouldn't be a 'spellcasting' feature user. Call it 'Duskcasting' or literally anything else and then sure, you can have whatever spellcasting progression you choose. That's really the only problem. Just understand that that will have weird multiclass implications.
>>
>>51328056
I mostly want something like an invocation that nerfs or better takes away my ranged stuff but makes me a better fighter.
>>
>>51328063
No, because a lot of classes add stacking benefits. Fighting Styles, for example.
>>
>>51328242
Fair enough. The only reason why I went to 6th level is for a couple extra DPS spells. Maybe I change the capstone ability (another thing that previous anons had questions about) to something akin to Warlock's Mystic Incarnum feature, only instead of it being how the Warlock gets 6th - 9th level spells, the Duskblade gets two uses of a 6th level spell per long rest, and the spell list for this capstone is from the Wizard spell list.
>>
>>51327598
>>51327607
I swear to god, I think it's called a Skullrider?
>>
>>51328387
http://imgur.com/Nq96Qpp
It's homebrew, but I think it would work for what you describe.
>>
>>51328056
Generally bladelock outdamages eldritch blast if you do things right.

The problem is the gain in damage is nowhere near enough to make up for the fact warlock is not suited for melee in terms of melee survivability and the fact that ranged pushback combat is kind of warlock's main combat selling point and you've just thrown it away because you want to look cool. Being able to attack at range is useful, especially on someone who isn't super tanky.
>>
>>51328382
I really think you're just going to have to drop 6th level casting. It's not supported by the "Spellcasting" feature as it is in the book.

What specific spells are you wanting from the 6th level?
>>
>>51328425
>Generally bladelock outdamages eldritch blast if you do things right.
Explain how?

Please.
>>
>>51328425
>Generally Bladelock Outdamages eldritch Blast.
How?
>>
>>51328343
I think that anon means that you have to look at it from a certain view point.

The inherent strength the Wizard has is the sheer number of spells they can learn and the versatility from that potential. Just because the Wizard can learn utility spells doesn't mean they actually cast them all day every day. Sometimes there are situations where the Wizard knows he's going into a fight and instead of preparing stuff like Grease, Sleep, and Silent Image, he goes into the fight with Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb, and Mage Armor.

But being a half-caster means this homebrew class won't be as versatile simply because they won't have as many spell slots when compared to any of the other full caster classes at that level.

There's going to be a tradeoff somewhere, and right now you have to determine if the trade-off can be made up from the DPS half of the class.
>>
>>51328419
>homebrew
Aw dammit
That said, I think I actually found it and it's /still/ homebrew, but I really like the idea of a spider riding around in a skull, that talks like Skeletor with almost none of his magical power.
>>
>>51328449
Mainly Disintegrate, Chain Lightning, and Sunbeam. I threw in True Seeing and Globe of Invulnerability because I gave similar spells at lower levels; spells that have some utility but are most likely to be used/seen during a fight.
>>
So wait when is the next UA?
>>
>>51328514
>There's going to be a tradeoff somewhere, and right now you have to determine if the trade-off can be made up from the DPS half of the class.

Hmmm. Suppose like a feature that lets you burn spellslots in order to add some sort of magic-enhancement bonus to your weapons?
>>
>>51328552
They really don't need those. Cap them at 5th level spells.
>>
>>51328555
17/30/1
>>
>>51328622
what the fuck kind of backwards ass dating system is that
>>
>>51328622
>17/30/1
Ew. What the hell is that.
>>
>>51328629
Stop oppressing his culture you chronocentric bitch!
>>
>>51328486
>>51328501
Well, level 5:
>Bladelock, 18 strength, 16 cha
>1d10+4
>1d10+4 (Extra attack)
>1d4+4 (Bonus)
>1d10+4 (Reaction)
Compared to
2d10+8

Or Booming Blade if you manage to get secondary effect
>2d6+4 +1d8 + possible extra 2d8
Or Green Flame Blade if you manage to get the secondary effect
>2d6+4+1d8+1d8+3
Thankfully GFB's secondary is gauranteed when you use it rather than enemy dependent after you use it.

Then, level 12, 20 strength 18 cha
>1d10+9
>1d10+9 (Extra attack)
>1d4+9 (Bonus)
>1d10+9 (Reaction)
compared to
3d10+15

If you don't want to go variant human - PAM then pact of the tome is better than PAM to avoid this stupid MADness.

Yes, it's not good, but it can deal a little more damage than eldritch blast, which means it's not completely and utterly hopeless - just 95% hopeless.
>>
>>51328562
.. So a Magus from Pathfinder?
Check that out and see what can be ported over or not.
>>
>>51328629
Largest to smallest, obviously
>>
>>51328648
>>51328562
Look into this maybe?
>>
File: concerned skelton.png (32KB, 178x190px) Image search: [Google]
concerned skelton.png
32KB, 178x190px
>>51328652
>Largest to smallest
>Year, Day, Month
nigger you what
>>
>>51328681
2017 > 30 > 1
>>
>>51328647
Thanks.
>>
File: 1484095934699.jpg (41KB, 360x720px) Image search: [Google]
1484095934699.jpg
41KB, 360x720px
>>51328688
Largest to smallest would be
2017 (Year), 1 (Month), 30 (day)
>>
>>51328713
>1 is bigger than 30

I know this is the D&D general, but come on man
>>
DM here. Wondering how I can make the nations of Faerun war with each other. i want war to be a central tension in my campaign, but im not sure how to facilitate it to make sense.

Ideas?
>>
>>51328648
I've looked it over before. I can make another PF dive, but I already like--

>>51328665
Oh shit! Gimme a sec to read this.
>>
>>51328722
1 represents January, which is a month, which is bigger than a day you inbred European quadruple-nigger.
>>
>>51327300
We did roll initiative but the spiders rolled higher than me.
>>51327375
It was my first time playing with this DM and I hadn't done anything that made me stand out in the group up to that point so I don't see why he'd be so biased against me.
>>51327398
Our only previous encounter was against a bear and our barbarian shouted at the top of his lungs in an attempt to intimidate the bear while we were trying to sneak up on it so I figured what I did was fair game.
>>
>>51328096
Cool. Although...>>51328376 they apparently stack, ah well.

>>51328622
01/30/17 is objectively the best date format.
>>
>>51327548
You're thinking of the Grey Shiver. It was back in AD&D, but it got a 3.5 update in an issue of Dragon Magazine #343, but I don't think it appeared anywhere else.
>>
>>51328622
>>51328762
Fuck off, 30/01/17 is.
>>
>>51328183
I want to update/convert at the least some of the Elementals and assorted spells.
>>
File: 1484823228617.jpg (39KB, 347x263px) Image search: [Google]
1484823228617.jpg
39KB, 347x263px
>>51328622
>year/day/month

>>51328762
>month/day/year

I.. I've just had a revelation.
Why don't we do...
Day, then month, then year?
Smallest to largest.
>>
>>51328762
>01/30/17 is objectively the best date format.
>>51328781
>Fuck off, 30/01/17 is.

See this, this sort of bickering is why China is winning
>>
>>51328747
Was everything spiders?
>>
>>51328781
See this at least somewhat makes sense unlike >>51328622, even if it's not as good as 01/30/17.
>>
File: standards.png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24KB, 500x283px
>>51328794
>>
>>51328743
don't stick that retard with us, we're the ones who go smallest to largest. he's probably from zimbabwe or something
>>
>>51328198

Listen bud, the only time that character should ever be allowed is if you're running a solo campaign for one player, that needs to be good at everything to survive.

It's just very snowflakey, and rips things from other classes, which if played in a group you would be overshadowing that class. What point is there to have a cleric or wizard if your fighter can just cast both cleric and wizard spells?

You need to find something unique for them if it's ever going to work using 5e design philos.
>>
>>51328647
Disregarding the reaction as thats even more situational, At level 5 your Eldritch Blast could be dealing 2d10+8+2d6 with Hex. This can be done at a distance and can push people back. Same as level 12.
>>
>>51328795
#firstworldproblems

What's next for the UA schedule?
>>
Does two weapon fighting only apply if you make an attack with a weapon in the main hand?

I presume there's no way to cast a spell (one that requires an action) then use a bonus action to attack with melee?
>>
Is there any way to make a Barbarian Dual Wielder work?
>>
>>51328870
>I presume there's no way to cast a spell (one that requires an action) then use a bonus action to attack with melee?
Read Fighter>Eldritch Knight.

>>51328891
>Is there any way to make a Barbarian Dual Wielder work?
Work? Yes. Good? No.
>>
>there are people who don't Month/Year/Day
1/17/30
Look how nicely that flows
>>
>>51328794
Us Aussies use the day/month/year date format and we're objectively the best country ever, join us, we have spiders.
>>
>>51328827
If you want to use hex instead of the bonus action attack using one of your spell slots, the damage output is the same and you still have 10ft reach so you have a slight bit of range. Then the hex might actually end up adding onto your next bonus attack if you don't have to re-assign it and might add onto your reaction attacks.

And reaction isn't exactly situational. It'll trigger perhaps 50% or more of the time, but it depends a lot on the DM and how you're playing. If you're using a 1d10 polearm, you can often force enemies to either make you take that reaction or run away.
Either way, once you add in the reaction attack it'll typically come out on top.

Of, course, I'm not saying it's a good idea at all. It's fucking stupid, play a paladin or if you really want a full caster play a favoured soul sorcerer.
>>
>>51328903
it flows nicely right now. in about two days it'll be shit. the best is smallest to largest, day/month/year.
>>
>>51328799
What do you mean?
>>
>>51328665
>>51328739
Holy balls this is perfect. Really sorry I shit up the thread now.
>>
Time goes Hour:Minute:Second, because the end one is the one that changes most frequently

So dates should logically be Year/Month/Day
>>
>>51328932
Fair enough.
>>
We really need an Ambidexterity feat that removes the penalty with two-weapon fighting and gives extra attacks.
>>
>>51328949
no it doesn't, it goes second/minute/hour. same with dates. day/month/year/
>>
>>51329001
we really don't
>>
>>51329022
>it goes second/minute/hour

Alright Tajikistan or Gambia or wherever the fuck you'e from, whatever floats your boat
>>
Player is a fiend lock, wants a gazer familiar. Since it's pact of the chain he can flavor it apparently and make it a fiend.

Pg 213
VARIANT FAMILIARS

Any spellcaster that can cast the find familiar spell (such
as an apprentice, warlock, or wizard) is likely to have a
familiar. The familiar can be one of the creatures described
in the spell (see the Player's Handbook) or some other Tiny
monster, such as a cranium rat, a crawling claw, a gazer,
an imp, a pseudodragon, or a quasit.

Variant: GAZER FAMILIAR
Spellcasters who are interested in unusual familiars find
that gazers are eager to serve someone who has magical
power, especially those who make a point of bullying and
harassing others. The gazer behaves aggressively toward
creatures smaller than itself, and it tends to randomly attack
house pets, farm animals, and even children in town
unless its master is very strict. A gazer serving as a familiar
has the following trait.
Familiar. The gazer can serve another creature as a fa.
miliar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master,
provided that the mater is at least a 3rd-level spellcaster.
While the two are bonded, the master can sense what
the gazer senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each
other. If its master causes it physical harm, the gazer will
end its service as a familiar, breaking the telepathic bond.
>>
>>51329052
Why not? It's not even overpowered.
>>
Guys, would this be a potent rule for Bladelocks and make them fairly usable.

Pact Blade, the magic of the blade draws heavily both on your magic and your body, You may use Constution in place of Strength to hit, and for damage of any pact weapon.

Means they are slightly less MAD, able to focus mostly on CHA and CON, their survivabiltiy and HP and slightly improved as result without being forced to use a Rapier due to finesse and needing Dex.
>>
>>51329087
Why do we need to make it stronger? Those that would benefit from it most are already powerhouses in combat.
>>
>>51329165
what really would make bladepacts good is if people stopped trying to use them as magical Fighters. They are not fighters, they are not frontliners, they are not tanks.

Now, I am not going to say Bladepacts aren't weak, but I have played one, and did just fine, you simply let the real melee classes close in first while providing support with EB, then come in a turn or two later to provide flanking (if your GM uses that optional rule) or take advantage of enemies knocked prone or suffering from other effects.
>>
Hello,

I'll be playing Dungeons and Dragons with friends for first time, I'm wondering what are some good classes to consider? How good are moon druids?
>>
>>51328743
But 30 is bigger than 1. It is really simple it goes biggest number to smallest number.

December 4th 2017 will be 17-12-4
>>
>>51329077
Oh shit, I literally just asked my GM if in next campaign, I can be a Beholder-Thrall Goolock with a Gazer familiar.

The fact that it can do its eye-beams since they aren't "attacks" is a little powerful offensively compared to the rest. (Assuming imps can't do the invisible aid-another-advantage cheese).

But this is obviously curtailed by the "Random beam" element and the fact that a Gazer has next to no utility, especially anything close to what an invisible, stealthy, intelligent, nimble-fingered demon imp who can pose as a rat, cat or whatever else.
>>
>>51329174
It should at least open access to more of a variety of weapons, and include at least one extra attack with the other weapon.
>>
>>51329260
what about April 12th, 2017?
>>
>>51329258
Moon druids are very good, especially at low levels but they are relatively complex at times with many options at your disposal and still having full spellcasting.

However at level 2 they can easily cake-walk entire dungeons solo and still have enough HP left at the end to TPK their own party.
>>
>>51329284
Why? Again, the classes that gain the most from this are already dominating combat in terms of damage
>>
>>51329063
smallest to largest is the natural order of progression. it's how things grow. it's in physics, nature, chemistry, maths, and it's in time. just because i'm not some assbackwards american who thinks the sun shines out of an eagle's asshole every morning and is eaten by the devil at night doesn't mean i'm wrong.
>>
>>51329295
That too would be 17-12-4. You just have to infer the date based on other information. This isn't that hard you retard.
>>
>>51327211
He takes the world in a love embrace sometimes
>>
>>51329338
Because that should and does represent what true ambidextrous fighting is, not the subpar option we have now. And which doesn't even scale well.
>>
>>51329361
>You just have to infer the date based on other information.
Historians everywhere would kick you in the balls. Repeatedly.
>>
So a Flesh Golem that blasts lightning bolts and thunder waves, tromps around on legendary actions and loves its creator; yea or nay?
>>
>>51328912
True. The spider's are pretty great around here.
>>
>>51329338
Name them. Two-weapon fighting shouldn't just be limited to light weapons.
>>
>>51329317
Are they only good at low levels or also high levels too?
>>
>>51329378
you do realize that when TWF, you can attack with either weapon for any of your attacks, right?
So a fighter using two weapons can attack like such:
W1
W1
W1
W2

OR
W2
W2
W2
W1

OR

W1
W2
W1
W2
W1

OR...
>>
>>51329393
>Loves its creator
How much does it love its creator? Bcs if the thing is coated in vaginas i'm gonna have to pass.
>>
Ran a level 3 boss fight with four minions and legendary action firebombs. Did I do good?
>>
>>51329415
Their love is pure, don't worry. It's going to avenge him next session by smacking some bitches.
>>
File: dual wielder.jpg (156KB, 905x402px) Image search: [Google]
dual wielder.jpg
156KB, 905x402px
>>51329400
>Two-weapon fighting shouldn't just be limited to light weapons.

you know what? you're right, they SHOULD make a feat that gets rid of that limitation.
>>
>>51329412
Not him, but citation needed
>>
>>51329456
Fucking excellent.
>>
>>51329456
Hey random question anons I have always seen the Dual Wielder feat as a trap as it does not add much, how does adding a plus one bonus to dex or Strength in addition to the abilities granted by the feat sound?
>>
>>51328590
Do you feel the class getting spellcasting at first level is fine, but only limiting it to cantrips, and actual spell slots and spells learned begin at 2nd level, like the other half casters? I know it breaks with the half-caster spellcasting progression, but the whole point of the class is that it can cast spells beginning at level 1 and still be able to use weapons.
>>
>>51329260
>>51329295
This is why I only write dates with Month Abbreviation, numerical day, numerical year if needed.
>>
>monk is given a d10 hit die
There I fixed monk.
>>
>>51329602
It's weird it didn't get a d10. It's a melee focused fighting character and the only other d8 one is rogue and they are better off using ranged anyway.
>>
>>51329456
It needs to add extra damage and gain advantage to attacks.
>>
>>51329628
>It needs to add extra damage and gain advantage to attacks.
lolwut
>>
>>51329379
Nobody cares about history, its not important.
>>
>>51329456
Does it give ability mod to damage on the other weapon attack?
>>
>>51329636
Don't be a tard.
>>
>>51329719
No.
>>
>>51329719
>assumes the laughter was at the additional damage and not at ADVANTAGE TO ATTACKS
>>
>>51329729
Then that's a failing of the feat.

But the two-weapon fighting style gives ability mod to the other weapon attack, doesn't it?

>>51329412
Where does it say that?
>>
>>51329735
What the fuck are you blathering about?
>>
>>51329767
>What the fuck are you blathering about?
anon posts that the feat "needs to add extra damage and gain advantage to attacks."
i laughed because WHY DOES IT NEED TO GAIN ADVANTAGE TO ATTACKS? THAT'S LUDICROUS!

Did that clear it up for you?
>>
>>51329636
>>51329735
You're a badass motherfucker, you better fucking start acting like one.
>>
>>51329752
Yes that's why it's not there. There is a fighting style for it. It would completely invalidate the Two Weapon Fighting style so they did not put it on the feat. I will say I think a +1 increase to DEX or STR could make the feat a little better cause as it is, its better to just take the ABI to your dex than it is to pick this up.
>>
>>51329781
Are you always this autistic?
>>
File: sagely advice.jpg (147KB, 762x592px) Image search: [Google]
sagely advice.jpg
147KB, 762x592px
>>51329503
>>51329752
>>
>>51329792
Then that's a complete failing of the feat, it should add more to make taking it worthwhile.
>>
>>51329799
only for you, cupcake.
>>
>>51329822
Agreed this feat has issues and fixing it is kinda hard without invalidating the two weapon fighting style or making it completely overpowered.
>>
File: Hundred Blades.png (96KB, 880x258px) Image search: [Google]
Hundred Blades.png
96KB, 880x258px
So this guy, this player is giving me two problems.

One: The party bought him plate mail at level 4. +18
He is a Samurai with the dual wielding feat +1
He is a construct +1
He has 20 AC at level 4.

We have an ancestral barbarian. He has more HP, by about 2.
The barbarian has 13 AC. He has a dex mod of 1 and a con mod of 2.
The samurai has a -1 dex mod, and a con mod of 2.
They have the same strength mod, but maul vs TWF long swords

How do I help the barbarian?

Two. He has chosen lawful evil.
How do I deal with this?
>>
File: 1480555237983.jpg (60KB, 641x794px) Image search: [Google]
1480555237983.jpg
60KB, 641x794px
Here's how to fix Two-Weapon Fighting, ready for it?

Replace or add in a new fighting style with this "When you take the Attack Action, you may make an off-hand attack as a free action."

No modifier, no extra extra attacks, just a single free attack you can do for simply holding the weapon. If people want to multiclass and get the other fighting style that adds modifier damage? Ok, now they've set themselves back ASI wise. Fighters can do two off-hand attacks, once by attacking normally, and once by Action Surging.
>>
>>51329928
Barbarian is fine.

Sick Rust Monsters on the samurai.
>>
>>51329928
Fight celestials. They'll sense evil and focus their attacks on him, making him the most likely to die. Then he'll reroll and hopefully pick something less annoying.
>>
>>51329928
1. I don't see the problem? The barbarian can tank just as well, but is hit more often.

2. Has he stuck true to his alignment? Does it cause problems?
>>
>>51329928
>How do I deal with this?

So...what's the problem?
>>
>>51329928
Barbarians has rage, he'll take half as much damage while getting hit twice as much. If you really want to help him, give him some magic items like a cloak of arachnida, bam your barbarian is now a monk.

If you want to deal with him being evil, have npc's befriend him, then require selfless acts to help those npcs. This will distinguish retarded evil to only evil to people I don't care about, in the players mind.
>>
>>51329928
You learn to be a better DM by recognizing your players didn't do anything wrong. At least not that you've told us.
>>
Are any of you normies that play? I'm a normie and want to play but none of my normie friends will take it seriously.
>>
>>51330067
>normies
>4chan
>>
>>51329942
Okay not bad, so that nets a 20th level fighter 6 attacks per turn or 11 with Action surge.
>"When you take the Attack Action, You may make an off-hand attack as a free action."

Now the way the style is worded would allow the fighter to actually attack 9 times per turn or 17 times with an action surge which I don't think you intended.
>>
>Mostly serious tone game with good rp for the most part
>I'm enjoying playing in a mostly meme free game with no lolrandum fuckery for a change
>two other players decide to join (by that I mean say "oh you're playing d&d? We'll play too!" and the DM didnt care)
>Both of them come up with fucking obnoxious characters that completely fuck any kind of serious tone there might have been in the game right in the ass

Its an abstract kind of hell.
>>
>>51330067
One of my group mates is a normie. The secret is to get normies who are okay with being nerdy.
>>
>>51330067
So play a silly game. Just make sure you remember the point is to have fun with it, alcohol helps.
>>
>>51330142
>>51330138
>>51330108
One guy I talked to wants his wizards background to be he is a Grand Wizard(KKK) that was somehow teleported to the DnD world and became a real wizard. And the entire game he said he is going to act like a racist hick.

I think it's funny but as a noob DM I wanted to be serious.
>>
>>51330129
I wouldn't call that abstract, that's a very literal and common hell.
At least you have a group.
>>
Could a dex based bladelock who also dipped one point into barb for unarmored defense work?
>>
>>51330200
I'd allow everything except the teleported from the real world thing.

He can be racist against elves.
Fuck elves.
>>
>>51330013
>>51330013
>>51330060
>>51329997
>>51330062

The samurai does way more damage than the barbarian, and never gets hit. The barbarian gets hit all the time, the barbarian has the lowest AC out of the party but has only slightly more hp, by about 2.

He is a tank barbarian, ancestral, and he really doesn't
>>
>>51330200
>I think it's funny but as a noob DM I wanted to be serious.
so say "Hey, i want this to be a serious game."

Jesus, and i thought you normies had fucking social skills.
>>
>>51330200
Go for it. You may not like a silly game, but it'll give your mates a try and might get them hooked, then you can present your next game as a more serious one. Short campaigns are great for that.
>>
>>51327216
I wouldn't bother with it at all. I wouldn't bother with more than 2 Warlock anyways. Rogue's don't really need extra attack and hex dealing 2d6 across 2 hits isn't worth losing 3 levels of rogue.
>>
>>51330200
>Grand Wizard(KKK)
Kick him out.
>>
>>51330263
Why?
>>
>>51330230
Yes but the barbarian has rage and can gain advantage on attack.
>>
>>51330240
>Booming Blade, Ritual Casting/Familiar, Dark Ones Blessing, Eldritch Blast+Devil Sight.

I would take the 9d6 sneak attack for that stuff.
>>
>>51330230
>The samurai does way more damage than the barbarian,
Did Barbie not take Great Weapon Mastery? If not, then we will be outdamaged by the samurai, because Sammy is a fighter, and fighters fight.

>and never gets hit. The barbarian gets hit all the time, the barbarian has the lowest AC out of the party but has only slightly more hp, by about 2.

Sammy has AC 20 but any idiot in plate with a shield can get that. Barb takes half damage on most hits, he should be fine.
>>
>>51330287
The samurai does that too with fighting spirit. My issue is more that nothing fucking hurts this guy.
>>
>>51330312
>My issue is more that nothing fucking hurts this guy.
do spells not exist in your game?
Besides, at 20 AC he should still be getting whacked a good 25% of the time
>>
>>51330312
Wait until dex saves and wisdom save effects come into play.

Or bosses.
>>
>>51330288

>EB

why? Sneak attack will always do more damage. Pick something that will give you utility. If you need to do damage at a range, pack a Cross bow. It's only slightly less damage than 2d10 either way.
>>
>>51330312
The barb can do it longer.
>>
>>51329928

>Barbarian has 13 AC

you know he can wear medium armor right? This isn't the Samurai's fault. The barbarian is rocking no armor without the ability scores to back it up. That's going to get you hit.
>>
Speaking of shitty barbs

I'm about to hit level 4
16 str 13 dex 15 con 9 int 14 wisdom 8 cha

thinking of doing IAC.. I'm a storm barbarian
>>
>>51330345
4d10 by level 17 as Eldritch Blast scales with character level, you can push people back upwards to 40 feet if you chose to not take Devil's Sight. Plus for flavor its a little more fun.
>>
>>51330399

>4d10 at level 17

Doesn't seem worth it compared to having some out of combat utility. You can do great things with little cantrips.

>if you chose not to take devil's sight

sure but then that sorta negates the whole point of the darkness+devil's sight combo
>>
Changes made to the class after discussions made on here:

- (mostly) half-caster progression (cantrips are learned at first level, spell slots are gained at 2nd level).

- Changed class features (Duskblade Cloak moved from 4th to 7th level, to not have 7th level of the class be a 'dead level').

- Archetype benefits changed for most of them, with a focus more on how each archetype changes the benefits of the Duskblade Cloak at level 11.

- Capstone ability changed to mimic Mystic Arcanum from Warlock, but only for 6th level spells, as the class did learn Chain Lightning and Disintegrate back in 3.5 when those spells were 5th level.
>>
>>51330275
Because Humour isn't allowed anymore.
>>
>>51330445
>Doesn't seem to worth it to having out of combat utility.
Fair point to each his own.

> Negates the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo
I am thinking with the mindset of a Swashbuckler over the Assassin as devil's sight will benefit the Assassin a lot more, but with a Swashbuckler not so much.
>>
>>51330516
Ah, of course.
My mistake, I thought it was 10 years ago.
>>
>>51326612
Mutant Sorcerer, the first in a bloodline
Has a table of effects to your body and abilities to pick from so that you can customise the character (natural armour, natural weapons, built into body spell focus, camouflage, etc)
>>
How do I make an overpowered Bard?
>>
>>51330592
Pick Lore, have high Charisma, pick good Magical Secrets.
>>
>>51330592
Lore Bard.
>>
File: Bigby's Hand.jpg (150KB, 1024x1448px) Image search: [Google]
Bigby's Hand.jpg
150KB, 1024x1448px
>>51330592
If your not a Lore Bard your not trying hard enough.
>>
>>51330312
Throw enemies that don't attack with weapons. Dex saving throws should fuck him over hard.
>>
Thoughts on this Feat/Fighting Style?

When making a ranged weapon attack with a weapon with both the Finesse and Thrown properties, you can throw two instead of one.
They can be aimed at one or two targets. Both use the one attack roll.

Trying to make daggers and darts viable.
>>
I'm running Lost Mine w/ some co-workers next week. I've run a game on roll20 for a couple of years now, but I'm not sure how to make the transition from roll20 to an actual tabletop, mostly I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around running combat without roll 20's dedicated grid.
>>
All barbarian paths look like they suck, what's up with that?
>>
>>51330758
Oops, didn't take into account ability modifiers.

You don't add them for this attack.
>>
>>51330825
Totem is very strong. Bear Totem is fucking invincible.
>>
>>51330613
>>51330621
>>51330658
Sorry for the dumb/undetailed question. May be starting DnD with some buddies soon (hopefully, I've been wanting to play it since middle school and I'm now halfway done with college) and bard looks very interesting to me.

For dumb RP purposes I wanted to be a Deep Gnome but I'm not sure how well that would mesh with Bard.

Also, the mechanics of this franchise seem so overwhelming. I've been reading the player manual and still don't really know what a saving throw is.
>>
>>51330869
Ah if you are new I would not recommend wanting to build to be OP I would just want to make something I would be able to understand. Lore Bard is a good place to start.

You are starting at level 1 right? So you won't have the option of getting an archetype until level 3, so during that time you want to learn as much as you can about your class, the game and your spells.
>>
>>51330869
Oh and a saving throw is usually the ability to resist some form of magic or situation. For example a 1st level Bard can learn the spell Charm Person when the bard casts it on a person that person must make a Wisdom Saving throw against the Bard's Spell Difficulty Class or DC. If the person fails the saving throw they are affected by the effects of charm person if they succeed on it nothing happens.
>>
Can spear be used as a monk weapon?
>>
>>51331045
Yes and I recommend it.
>>
Has anyone rolled a Kenku PC or had an important/memorable NPC? I wanna know. I like birds.
>>
>>51331045
It's a simple melee weapon without the two-handed or heavy qualities, so yes.
>>
Man, I hate being "That Guy" to my DM, but if he doesn't fucking know the first rule of DM'ing then he makes it really hard for me to feel bad

>Tells the table he needs to be out by 11
>Has us fuck around with basements infested with dozens and dozens and dozens of blights and a few druids
>Druids are huge pushovers, After dropping a Silence bubble on one of the fighters, they wipe them out one by one
>Druid goes Fire Elemental and starts GOTTA GO FAST one the blights.
>DM has him roll individual damage for each single one of the 30 blights he was running over.
>Then individual damage for each oportunity attack they took
>Then individual damage for each burning blight start of the turn
>Every round
>Taking averages sugested a dozen times. >Declined.
>I'm the bard. I stand there skipping my round because I didn't build for straight combat
>11 o'clock comes and goes, DM doesn't adjourn. We keep going
>Investigating a room, I find a butler lift
>Another creepy druid hidden
>I try to talk
>Druid asks who am I
>Naturally I lie presenting myself as a possible ally
>DM makes no roles whatsoever, just has the druid say "FUCK YOU I DON'T BELIEVE YOU"
>Casting bullshit
>Counterspell
>Druid drops to wagon on the ground floor and runs
>I say I want to chase him
>"He's already gone"
>"Dude, I'll just pop out a window and fly after him"
>"Windows are shut"
>"Are you really going to make me blow a dimension door on him?"
>He starts making faces
>I haven't spent a single slot yet so fuck it. Me and a fighter dimension door in front of him
>Suddenly the guy casts Firestorm
>Failed counterspell check
>Cast Silence on the guy
>"wtf is going on, these druids are supposed to be pushovers"
>"Guys we don't have time any more lets just leave"
>"Nah man, I'm designed for Magebreaking, this will be quick"
>"Nah man, it won't"
>"Just a couple of minutes and we'll see"
>Guy
>>
>>51329830
It must be difficult for you to not sperg out.
>>
Can you add the bonus damage from precision attack to an unarmed strike, or is it only for attacks made with weapons?
>>
>>51331451
nah, luckily i got that bleach enema, really mellows you out.
>>
>>51331469
unarmed strikes are "melee weapon attacks" they just aren't "melee weapons" so yes, you can use precision attack.
>>
What character sheets do you guys use? l find the official suboptimal, and l'm not a fan of the ones in the Mega Trove.
>>
>>51331532
>>
File: simple sheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
simple sheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51331575
>>
File: The Clean Sheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
The Clean Sheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51331600
>>
>>51331423
My DM is kinda like this too (without the time limit though). I blew spell I had on his "escaping enemy" and then capture him.
Then he retcon the guy into a minion without any information worth a damn in the next session.
>>
What's a really fun class or multiclass to play? Looking for something that'll be really fun in both social situations and combat.
>>
>>51331642
Paladin/Swashbuckler with magic initiate GFB and boomblade, have fun.
>>
>>51331600
>>51331620
These 2 look like a 3.pf mess...
>>
>>51331423

>DM is mad now, and he clearly wants to teach me the consequences of not realizing when he's robbing his players of Agency on a TTRPG
>Druid wildshapes into a Galeb Dur
>Galeb Dur animates two more Galeb Durs
>They all gang up on the Bard
>They wail on me hard
>I tell the DM "look man, if this is what you're going to pull then I take it back, I have no options but to start pulling tricks and shit, and it's going to drag"
>"NAH MAN, IT'S OK" he says furiously
>No man, for real, I'm telling you, my only choice is to drag this shit out. You have your friend to meet tonight, the one you haven't seen in ages
>"NOPE, JUST DO IT, IT'S TOO LATE"
>Dude
>"DO IT"
>I Wall of Force myself and him into adjacent cubes
>Galeb Dur tries to dimension door
>Counterspell (Yes I know I can't counterspell through Wall of Force, but I also knew Galeb Durs can't fucking teleport)
>Other two Galeb Durs are shut out
>DM is livid
>I'm just standing there with my face slack
>Dafuq man, why the hell was an arch druid hiding in the butler porty
>Why the fuck is an archdruid just freaking out and running away like a hobo at the first word exchange
>Why the fuck is a running arch druid not just wildshape into a regular earth elemental and burrow away?
>"Welp, I guess now I kill this Archdruid by casting Vicious Mockery 200 times"
>DM goes "ah man, I know what happens now. Yeah, this is gonna suck much harder for you now"
>"Uuh what"
>"Well, if he can't escape, then he's going to attack the winery now with his whole army instead of letting you take the fight to his grove. 25 owlbears will show up from the woods next round"

Well, shit
>>
Is there any good one or two level dips for a Druid or should I just go full Druid?

Moon for bearmode.
>>
>>51331642
Bard. It's the best class for a reason.
>>
>>51331663
Find a better DM.
>>
>>51331680
Full Druid. Delaying your spell and Wild Shape progression is dumb.

You don't want to stuck being a black bear at level 7, when you can Polymorph yourself into a Half-Red Dragon-Giant Ape.
>>
>>51331711
Yeah that's what I was assuming.
I actually am planning to do the half dragon thing as it's their goal to become a dragon
>>
>>51331663
Stop playing with him.

I like how you play though, it shouldn't be too hard to find a group.
Playing with DMs that won't let you do anything outside of their shitty or sometimes good railroaded story just gets old.
Seems like that DM does it a lot.
>>
File: Gnoll.png (48KB, 313x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.png
48KB, 313x400px
First time DM here. l'm doing an original adventure about a Gnoll war band for my first session. Any tips?
>>
>>51331532
I mixed and matched some sheets together and made these.
>>
>>51331741
done be this dm:
>>51331423
>>51331663
>>
>>51331423
>blights and druids
>winery
>grove

Hey cool, Curse of Strahd. I just did that same encounter last week. That's some grade A bullshit DMing.
>>
>>51331741
Get into the mindset of gnolls: they don't loot but instead destroy, they don't ransom but instead eat, they do not plan but rather they overwhelm. This is effectively a destructive force of nature rather than a warband. You also want to emphasize this in your descriptions; mention how tactless and viceral every piece of destruction is. Let your players know how primitive and overwhelming they are.

Also, fair warning: Gnolls will go obsolete super quickly. I use them a lot since I like having them as a tutorial fight for my players to show them what will happen in the future, but you will be fudging stats if you keep using them beyond lvl 5-6.
>>
>>51331735
Wouldn't class with true polymorph be better at that?
>>
>>51331850
>but you will be fudging stats if you keep using them beyond lvl 5-6.

Volo's Guide helps with that. Flinds are CR 9.

You can also take the humanoid stat blocks and toss gnoll traits like Rampage, darkvision, and a bite attack on them.
>>
>>51331741
Read Volo's Guide to Monsters.
>>
>>51331856
Probably but that would involve reaching level 17 anyways.

Abridged version
>insane (by lizardman standards) Lizardman Shaman who's tribe worships dragons, is on a quest to become a dragon because reasons
>>
>>51330811
Depending on how mobile your pc set up is, or if you have a laptop. Plug a TV in and use it as a mat with roll20. There's a player preview window you can open so just put that on the 2nd monitor.
>>
>>51331883
Yeah the Flind is really good honestly. In my last session, the Monk, Barbarian and Thief were all dog-piling this thing and he just kept the beatings going, taking down our monk and locking the barbarian with a lucky paralysis.

Now that you brought that up, another good thing >>51331741 could do is give the gnolls a bunch of crowd control attacks. They're a warband afterall, and while they are feral and brutish they can still do dirty tricks. Make the gnolls actively attack arms and legs. Have them gouge out player eyes. CC is powerful and makes your players re-assess how to handle a fight.
>>
>>51331901
l did, thanks.

>>51331850
What this guy said >>51331883
Also, l'm more worried of running out of excuses to let Gnolls stick to the plot.

Maybe it's my lack of experience as a DM speaking, but l'm afraid of running a boring game. Any tips on interesting plots that won't get stale quickly?
>>
>>51331736

I've been tempted to that over and over, but we're halfway through a rather high level play of Curse of Strahd, and I'm way too personally invested in my character to drop out.

Got a shitload of horror stories, but hey, Demiplane of Dread, right?
>>
>>51331997
>l'm afraid of running a boring game
You have to realize that for most players, just getting to play the game is enough to make it memorable. Give them just enough room to play out their character personalities and use the plot/story as something to guide them when they need the push.
>>
>>51332011
Let hear them, then.
>>
>>51331948
I wouldn't do that. Next thing you see is all players trying to make targeted attacks to get some bonus, probably bogging down the game and complaining about the DM afterwards in threads like this.
>>
>>51332050
What this guy said. There's a fine line between creative gameplay and stuff that just slows everything down while making the game more deadly.

If you want to spice up your gnolls with tactics, give them some spell scrolls, Magic Initiate, Martial Adept (with extra dice if needed), or crib neat abilities from other monsters.
>>
>>51331997
Don't front-load the Gnolls. If they're the focus, have them dip in and out as they raid other villages and just sleep off their food.

Make the fights personal, have the warband attack a character's something from their backstory or their favorite NPC.

Make the warband evolve. Maybe have them get magic weapons or stronger gnolls as the plot goes on to show off how they stay a constant threat.

For the big climax, make their patron deity fuck with the world. Yeenoghu is a pretty beefy demon, you can bullshit things like it actively fucking with people's minds and injecting bloodlust into literally everything now because of everything the warband has done.

On an aside, I find it amusing how you're also making Gnolls a centric theme. I thought it was just me.
>>
>>51331997
What >>51332043 said. But I think you could spice up the game with some strategy based on the sidebar on Volo's page 35. Try to give the players an edge against the gnolls if they make some tough choices (something like settting a trap for the warband in a village that will certainly kill all the inahbitants).
>>
>>51332152
So I'm going for a fighter/sorc with one level of dip into Monk.
How bad am I hurting myself by dumping int and str?
>>
>>51332251
You're making a character that's beyond help unless you're starting with 3 18s.
>>
>>51332087
l find Gnolls very charming, even if l prefer them a little bit less inconsequential. They also remind me of bad guys from cartoons from the 80s.
>>
>>51332251
Didn't mean to quote.
>>51332269
20 point buy.

The one level in monk is cause it just fits with my vision for the character, rather than power gaming.
>>
>>51332048

Oh shit, where to begin

>be True Neutral bard
>do some dark and shady shit while being truly well meaning about them.
>constantly strike deals and power plays to build up structure usually so that structure can tear other structures down
>But every once in a while comes a personal moral choice and whenever I talk to the DM about it, the one that will result in me acquiring a measure of power, makes me evil
>Constantly bullies me away from choices with "Yeah, but then you'll be evil"
>"Is that bad?"
>"CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME"

>This would be mostly fine if it wasn't the insufferable double standard

>Example
>My character gets triggered by child abusers, and goes into hellmode
>Coven of hags has been eating up kids
>Hags are a curse upon this land. If we kill them, they just come back later and do it again, and the Mother Hag knows this
>By revealing pieces of the puzzle that I have been slowly hoarding for several months, I reply that I have the solution
>I can take the hag and turn her into a Wood Woad
>DM rejects the idea. Says only a druid can do it
>I explain why I could be able to do it
>NO, NO, NO, IT'LL BE EVIL
>Druid says he'll do it. He says he doesn't consider it evil because the hag's a bitch
>Suddenly crickets

>We find a mirror with the power to conjure magical assassins
>You can use it to kill someone, but you'll be evil
>Okay, but can I keep the mirror for a scrying focus?
>No, the druid smashes it
>Later that night we invade the house of a local kingpin
>Druid confronts a servant and places a Geas on her to kill the kingpin as soon as she can find her sleeping alone defenseless at night
>DM doesn't even raise an eyebrow
>>
>>51332304
>The one level in monk is cause it just fits with my vision for the character, rather than power gaming.

Should have saved that bait for a new thread.
>>
>>51332305
just let the hate flow through you anon
>>
>>51332428
nah his DM is probably the kind of douchebag that goes "Welp you're character is evil now, so now it becomes an npc, reroll."
>>
>>51331496
You sound like you regularly drink it.
>>
>>51329864
Yeah, unfortunately true that.
An easy fix would be to increase the AC bonus to 2 and grant them an extra bonus action.
>>
>>51332555
So it's better than Sword and shield now?
You would have to bump shield madter AC too then.
>>
>>51332520
is that a problem?
wanna make out?
>>
>>51332304
> 20 point buy
But the standard is 27... Are you playing a very low power game?
>>
>>51332304
"Fit with character vision" can ne justify in fluff and background.

You are a Sorcerer that used to train in monk temple? That's represent by Acolyte background.

You use monk training to augment your slell control? That's just fluff and RP.

You don't need a mechanic representation for character fluff in 5e. Learn to love that or go back to /pfg/.
>>
>>51329343

Look, I'm a burger and I'm fine with day/month/year. Honestly I think it makes more sense than the american system.

But for fuck's sake, don't get all contrarian. Show me ONE FUCKING EXAMPLE of a digital clock that goes seconds:minutes:hours from left to right. It doesn't happen anywhere. It's Hours:minutes:seconds.
>>
>>51332576
Keep +1 to AC and add extra bonus action then. How's that?
>>
>>51332762
OR give the option to increase DEX or STR by 1.
>>
>>51332762
can rogues use this extra bonus action to cunning action twice?
>>
>>51332323
It's not bait.

>>51332630
That's how my DM runs it, I doubt he is changing it just for me.

>>51332690
No I mean I want to get that unarmored defense (Considering barb for that but martial arts is nice). And play a tanky spell caster since people tend to go for the mage first.
>>
>>51332789
>No I mean I want to get that unarmored defense (Considering barb for that but martial arts is nice). And play a tanky spell caster since people tend to go for the mage first.
Why the hell do you need that? You have heavy armor proficiency from fighter. Wear heavy armor.
>>
>>51332305
Fuck your DM
>>
>>51332818
>need
I don't need it, I want it.
>>
>>51332305
Maybe he's got chosen one plans for you? Either way is being evil worth the drama?
>>
>>51332774
Is it possible to make a feat modular enough to grab either or? I feel like 5e would allow that.

>>51332785
You can use the feat to cunning action or make another bonus action after twf-ing rather than attacking again, but I see no reason you can't.
>>
>>51332972
I think so cause dual wielding does not always mean dex it could work with STR so it should not be that big a deal.
>>
I want to cut down on my small enemies, and I like the imagery of goblins more than kobolds, so im fusing kobolds into another kind of goblinoid. Since they have pack tactics, and have weaker attacks and have sunlight sensitivity, I imagine them as a more pathetic kind of goblin, like Warhammer Snotlings. Is this a good idea and I need a name for these new kinds of gobbos.
>>
I'm the guy who asked a few threads ago if a patron who got tricked into tying their life to my character was a decent idea

I'm trying to think of what species it would be and how it got tricked. Any ideas, or should I just think of it myself?
>>
Chain Goolock.

Would you permit a beholder patron and theme with a Gazer familiar.
>>
File: Pretty_Elf_Thief.jpg (44KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pretty_Elf_Thief.jpg
44KB, 540x720px
>>51330229
I'd fuck an elf.

It would be more interesting to see how a human who is racist against all non-humans would act in a world where they will more often than naught be exposed to elves, dwarves, etc.
>>
>>51333409
>Implying you can't be racist against someone and still fuck them
See: Every War Ever.
>>
>>51333264
>Is this a good idea
l don't know, man. Why do you need more small enemies?
lf you really wanna do this l guess there's no problem. Make them another breed of Goblins or Goblins from another region. lf they're gonna have sunlight sensitivity maybe you could make them underdark goblins or something.
>>
>>51333463
Im actually cutting down small enemies. Instead of some strange tiny lizard being, they're a pathetic sort of goblin.

Im thinking the sunlight sensitivity comes from how they're like baby shit goblins that just emerged from their eggs in the refuse and shitpiles of the dark dank goblin nests, pick up a small rock, and try to shank a fucker with it, because baby goblins, like all goblins, are fucking assholes.
>>
>>51333504
l mean, why do you even need to make Kobolds into Goblins? lf you don't like Kobolds don't put Kobolds in your game.
l think you can make more interesting shit by tweaking regular Goblins instead of just reskinning Kobolds.
>>
>>51333439
>>Implying you can't be racist against someone and still fuck them

I'm well aware racism does not eliminate potential hot dickings. Was just stating what I would do given the opportunity.

Now I want to make an elf or dwarf who was in love with a human they have long since outlived but never got over. Maybe make them a paladin. Thoughts on the character concept?
>>
>>51333600
I like the mechanics of kobolds from Volos.

The inventor and sorcerer are awesome.
>>
File: 1335491036523.jpg (91KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1335491036523.jpg
91KB, 480x720px
Quick question /5eg/. I'm playing a bard and thinking of dipping three levels of Swashbuckler rouge. Is this a bad idea? Does multiclass cripple you? If I do it, should it be at 4th (Get Lore first), 5th (Get ASI), or 7th (poach Fireball and Crusader's Mantle)?

Dex and Cha 16, if it matters.
>>
>>51333622
Then go for it, dude. l'm personally a fan of sorting different goblins by region. Maybe making them color coded. lt's surprisingly effective.
>>
>>51333619
Boring as fuck/10
But that may be because I've seen it so many times in all sorts of media, who knows?
>>
I'm a first time player who's gonna be playing with a bunch of other first timers, and a first time DM to boot. Yeehaw.

Going through the player manual, you find constant allusions to Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance/other names. What, exactly, are these?
>>
>>51333699
Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance are two official settings for D&D. You can find tons of material detailing them from previous editions, including novels detailing stories within those settings.

Others include Ravenloft, Eberron, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Mystara, and Ghostwalk.
>>
>>51333727
So what exactly does "setting" mean? Are these prebuilt encounters and whatnot, or do these just give you general lore/cities/continent locations for you to make your own stuff off of?
>>
>>51333699
They're settings, worlds your game may take place in. Each with it's own continents, gods, cities and history.
Forgotten Realms is the most common, but your DM may be creating his own. Playing without a setting is also okay, and many oldschool players did this.
>>
>>51333766
It's a setting. A fantasy world with people, places, things, and history for DMs to build adventures on. They are generally pretty detailed, but the best ones tend to leave plenty of detail and convenient plot questions. for DMs to build on top of.
>>
>>51325581
Is the Theurgy wizard good?
>>
New thread time folks, move on over!

>>51333854
>>51333854
>>51333854
>>51333854
>>51333854
>>51333854
>>
>>51333619
Play them like a widow/widower who refuses to re-marry and insists that they want to live a life worthy of their love so that they may be proud to stand before them in the Seven Heavens. Stay away from the Arwen "Moped about forever" thing, instead having them enjoy life as their beloved wouldn't want them to be miserable. This also makes them fearless in the face of death, and willing to give their lives for someone else.

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.
Thread posts: 416
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.