[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lizardfolk paladin: how did it happen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0329.jpg (110KB, 817x978px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0329.jpg
110KB, 817x978px
O.k I'm building a lizardfolk char. Paladin with oath of devotion. Wears light armour and functions more like a ranger then a face basher.

>Backstory is that a freak winter wiped out his tribe, forcing him to flee. He Traveled across the swamp looking for heat and Eventually the night arrived. he prayed to pelor who he had heard was a god of warmth for a last resort and was miraculessly filled with warmth for the rest of the blizzard. Now he's taken an oath to serving pelor.

I want some of those creative juices from y'all to make this go from 'meh' to 'above average'.

If it's shit tell me strait up, anon.
>>
>>51313242
This sounds fine for your average level 1 pleb.
>>
>>51313242
you could instead have him stumble upon a series of underground hot springs (perhaps he falls through a snowbridge to find them) making it somewhat more ambiguous whether it was really his god or just sheer luck that he found it. If you wanted you could have him venture out and find a few other survivors, helping him become some kind of folk hero among his people after his death
>>
>>51313242
>I want some of those creative juices from y'all to make this go from 'meh' to 'above average'.

You're playing in DnD's uninspired generic fantasy setting. 'Meh' IS above average.

Also, more helpfully, I always think a character's personality and beliefs are more important than what they did before the campaign. You could come up with an awesome backstory but if it results in a generic purefag Paladin who wants to defeat evil then it was all for nothing.
>>
>>51313242
Sounds cute. Hope he finds a nice gal to lay a clutch of eggs with someday
>>
>>51313242
Instead of being magicly warmed from an answered prayer, he was actually suffering from the later stages of hyperthermia and incorrectly assumed that he was being warmed up as a result and only escaped the freezing in the nick of time.
>>
File: KunarkIksar.jpg (4MB, 3000x1971px) Image search: [Google]
KunarkIksar.jpg
4MB, 3000x1971px
>>51313242
But you could go with an Oath of Conquest best LIzardman Character!
>>
>>51313649
>A paladin goes on a holy crusade for his God
>God he worships is the god of warmth
>Crusade to banish cold begins
>Involves Lizard-paladin sourcing and providing blankets to the underprivileged as well as winter time heating efficiency tips
>Ascends to sainthood
>Is forever known as the saint of double-glazing
>>
>>
>>51316587
>lizard with a beard

absolutly disgusting!
>>
>>51316692
you're absolutly disgusting
>>
>>51313460
Honestly a generic all about god and smiting paladin is way more interesting than anyone thinks.
>>
>>51316692
They could be slow growing bone that just happens to resemble a beard.
>>
>>51316692
I am offended, sir.
>>
I think the whole area would be more messed up if a swamp was quickly frozen over.

Maybe they wandered into an abandoned church and used it for shelter. The previous pastor had left some wood and supplies they didn't need, but was seen as a blessing by the Lizard folk. Gratitude grew and one of them sought out knowledge of it
>>
>>51313242
I'd focus less on the backstory and more on trying to accurately rp a lizardfolk. You gotta remember that they don't think like we do, no emotions, shit is all brutal practicality.

Alignment wise lizardfolk are probably playing by different rules. If a human's companion dies, they don't just immediately eat the corpse, that's widely considered pretty evil, but not to the lizards, that's just tuesday.

What'd I would tell one of my players if they wanted to roll up a lizardfolk is to just try and get in the right mindset. You're actual motivation for adventuring is allowed to be pretty simple due to their culture inherently being so, so just get the character down, it'll be way more fun.
>>
>>51318198
>If a human's companion dies, they don't just immediately eat the corpse, that's widely considered pretty evil, but not to the lizards, that's just tuesday.

Kek

>Rolling with a lizard guy we picked up a few quests ago
>Kind of a weirdo, keeps asking me if l'm cold, telling me about his favorite kind of rock to bask on, going on about the benefits of double-glazed windows
>No one really minds since hes a damn good fighter
>Get into a scrap in a tavern and our bard goes down after a series of unfortunate rolls
>it hasn't been 5 minutes after our man goes down
>"S-so.... no ones gonna touch that?"
>fucking lizard people man
>>
>>51314655
>Paladin of Blankets

i like it.

>>51316587
I care less about the beard than about the sword, clearly thats a monk.

>>51316692
never heard of a bearded dragon?

>>51317772
In my opinion Lawfull alignments make for the most interresting roleplaying, especialy lawfull good and lawfull evil.

Especialy if that character is also outgoing with his friends, evil or good. a brooding "we must follow the law" type of paladin can be boring, but one actually concerned about his people, even if he is evil and wants to dominate the weak (and thus save them) thats an interresting character.

Bring in some of the weird characteristics for lizardmen in Volos guide and youve got yourself a good character already, then branch off form there and develop his story while you play.

>>51318198
Reptiles do have emotions just like not in the same sense as humans do.
Volos guide discribes it very interrestingly, their emotions are distant, they dont think "I am angry" but "this brings harm i must end it".

Real life reptiles are not only limited to the emotions of rage and fear either, if you look at chameoleons they also are known to display sadness and pride through their body colouration.

Btw a good idea to roleplay a lizardmen: Let his skin hue change slightly with his mood, so not camoflague but he replaces facial expressions with colourations of his neck and crest, like a chameleon!
>>
>>51319410
That slight hue change idea is actually pretty damn good. I'd always thought that it'd be weird if a human or elf etc tried to have a drawn out conversation with a dragonborn or any other non human looking race, as they wouldn't be able to pick up on the subtleties of each others expressions but that solves the problem (at least for lizardfolk) quite well.
>>
post more civilized lizardmen
>>
>>51313242
I like it.
>>
File: Lizards_Armor_Presv2-3.jpg (92KB, 1600x829px) Image search: [Google]
Lizards_Armor_Presv2-3.jpg
92KB, 1600x829px
>>51320462
The Divinity Lizards are god tier, some of the best non aztec lizard desgins around in my opinion with some nice iconic armor design that works with the body plan, also not too humanoid , yet civilized looking, game is also good.

The whole slaving through magic thing also remind me of the Iksar, with their setting dead im glad theres a replacement.

>>51319951
Funly enaugh that ones from WHFB, which is strange given that WHFB lizards were fairly inhuman in thinking, doubly so now that they are Ayy Lmao Demons.
>>
File: comfylizard.jpg (66KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
comfylizard.jpg
66KB, 736x552px
>>51314655
"For God wishes us to be Comfy."
>>
>>51321445
>>51319410
>>51314655
Don't think blankets really work for the cold blooded. They can't warm them up.
>>
>>51322056
fairly sure they still benefit from insulation.
>>
>>51322056
They're soft, they reduce the rate at which they cool down, and while a cold blooded animal doesn't produce "waste" heat specifically to keep itself warm its metabolism will still produce waste heat, which can become significant if the rate of heat loss overall is kept down.
>>
Are lizardmen warm or cold blooded?
What is their culture like surrounding marriage?
How are social dynamics in lizardfolk culture?
Is their a pecking order?
Do they choose leaders based on mental or physical capabilities?
If cold blooded, do their buildings include plentiful fireplaces and/or do multiple tribe members sleep in the same bed to share warmth?
Do they birth live young or are the young hatched?
Would a lizardman react negatively to certain social norms?
>>
File: 1418768901967.png (152KB, 700x733px) Image search: [Google]
1418768901967.png
152KB, 700x733px
>>51313242
Like so, OP.

>>51322056
As has been mentioned, cold blooded is a bit of a misleading term. A coldblooded creature such as a snake or a lizard is still quite warm- most life is exothermic. However, coldblooded creatures are not as equipped to modulate their own temperatures; they can't start shivering if they're too cold, or sweating if they're too hot. Insulation will help trap heat and heat them (possibly to death) and being too cold will make them lethargic and dead, just like humans.
>>
>>51322394
>Are lizardmen warm or cold blooded?

cold

>What is their culture like surrounding marriage?

they don't due marrage, they either fuck with anyone or do eugeninics.

>How are social dynamics in lizardfolk culture?
Is their a pecking order?

Its a tribal system.

Do they choose leaders based on mental or physical capabilities?

probobly both though i's say it leans towards physical.
>If cold blooded, do their buildings include plentiful fireplaces and/or do multiple tribe members sleep in the same bed to share warmth?

Sounds logical.

Do they birth live young or are the young hatched?

>Would a lizardman react negatively to certain social norms?

probbobly the amount of time we spend respecting dead people. those graveyards could make great farmlands and funerals are for lazy people to skip out on work.
>>
>>51322549
So lizardmen are cold blooded and cold hearted?
>>
>>51322394
>>51322394

Average Swamp lizardmen, Volos guide type.

>Are lizardmen warm or cold blooded?

cold

>What is their culture like surrounding marriage?

Due to them beeing Egglaying they generaly have less defined roles, pregnancy lasts way shorter and children are raised by the community.
This means that typical marriage isnt a thing in lizardmen society but neither is polygamy, also the role of the traditional mammal "female" gender is done by elders and infirms who can no longer hunt, as such "male and female" roles of mammals are not defined by biological gender (besides the short period of pregnancy) but by beeing able to participate in hunts or war, which take the form of the men, while the elders and infirms manage the settlement and raise the children.

>How are social dynamics in lizardfolk culture?
>Do they choose leaders based on mental or physical capabilities?

Lizardmen are collectivists, leaders arise for certain positions rather than for general leadership, as such they have no nobles, rather, the warlords as military leaders, leaders of spirituality and other such things, they are not exactly elected demogratically but they arise from consensus and in some cases violent conflict.

>If cold blooded, do their buildings include plentiful fireplaces and/or do multiple tribe members sleep in the same bed to share warmth?

Lizardmen homes are almost cocoon like, they ofthen feature fireplaces and tight insulation, while the actual space inside is relativeley small

>Would a lizardman react negatively to certain social norms?

Anything that isnt practical is probably considered a weakness.

It would be vastly different for more civilized lizardmen, ill come up with something.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.