[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are drow so little-known and rare? Like, if you show some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: drow6_by_fesbraa-dadwu00.jpg (541KB, 864x1080px) Image search: [Google]
drow6_by_fesbraa-dadwu00.jpg
541KB, 864x1080px
Why are drow so little-known and rare?
Like, if you show some random person an orc, they probably know what an orc is. Show them a drow, and they'll wonder why there's an elf blacker than Wesley Snipes.
They don't even seem to show up in many settings anymore. What gives?
>>
They moved to Detroit and are now content.
>>
Because drow are assholes in pretty much every setting. Plus matriarchal societies aren't even believable in a fantasy world
>>
>>51297603
Because they're not Tolkien.
>>
>>51297676
That's one of the reasons. Another is that orks are their own race while drow are just a subset of elves. I doubt that the layman would recognize the difference between Uruk-hai and orks too (myself included, are Uruk-hai a kind of irk or are they just a similar creature created by Sauron?)
>>
They're synonymous with the Underdark, and it's not technically a Drow unless they're underground backstabbing dickbag elves who hate the sun.

So if the setting in question doesn't exactly talk much about an Underdark or equivalent, chances are Drow are not relevant.
>>
>>51297722
Created by Saruman, mixture of orc and goblin
>>
>>51297749
From what I just read on Wikipedia they were created by Sauron originally, but Saruman took over the process and made them immune to sunlight
>>
>>51297749

No, that's wrong. Uruks appear before Saruman even turned to evil, and the "Orc-Men" are completely distinct from the Uruk-hai.

>>51297722

Remember, "Hai" is just the black speech term for a group of people. That's why you have Uruk-hai and Olog-Hai and Oghor-hai.

Uruks are more of a caste than a seperate race; they're just the biggest, strongest warrior orcs.

>>51297814

Don't read Wiki. Read Morgoth's Ring.
>>
Ive always thought it was because people don't want the conception of the pure elf race tarnished with dark skin
Which has always fascinated me as alot of elven qualities are shared with Ancient African kingdoms and tribes, but anyone wanting to Do an elf that doesn't have fair skin must be #E
>>
>>51297722
>drow are just a subset of elves
In many settings, Tolkien's included, orcs are also a subset of elves, really.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.