[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warpriests, huh! What are they good for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: UNICORN!.jpg (309KB, 1600x1044px) Image search: [Google]
UNICORN!.jpg
309KB, 1600x1044px
Seriously, I am bewildered by Warpriests. They seem to be worse at casting than Clerics, worse at fighting than Fighters, and less good at splitting their focus on those two than Paladins.

Their 'Favored Weapon Damage Progression" is a lot like a Monk's damage progression, except Monks get Flurry of Blows as a lame bonus, and can't USE weapons like Great Axes and Scythes that deal far more damage than 1d6.

Meanwhile, their 'Blessings' are basically a Cleric's domains, except they're insanely focused, provide zero extra spells, and you unlock the upgraded ability at level TEN.

But wait! You also get the Paladin's Divine Weapon power as a swift action ability for a number of rounds per day equal to your level! When paladins can do that whenever they want!

You also get Channel Energy, just like the Paladin and Cleric, further muddying what the hell your class is supposed to be doing! But hey, at least you can use magic to improve your armor for ten rounds per day, because that's totally worth a class feature slot, right?

I just... I don't understand. It's worse than a fighter at fighting, worse than a caster at casting, and worse than a Paladin at BOTH.
>>
>>51282728
Just before full release of the ACG they had full BAB with favored weapons, and they were decently fun. you could buff yourself while fighting with swift action spells so they were kind of like a divine magus focused on self-buffs with some other crap abilities. Now they only get 3/4 bab. Too bad they nerfed them
>>
>>51282728

Probably somebody wanted a character tanker than a priest but not as much as a Cleric or Paladin. Or maybe they forgot Clerics existed entirely and wanted something to fill in the Cleric's role but only had the Priest's statblock to work with.

Between Priests, Warpriests, Clerics, Paladins, and Crusaders you get this fine gradient of caster to fighter ratio. You can also have a whole party of the same archetype without any of them sharing a class!
>>
>>51282822
This explains why someone once told me they were good.

>>51282837
I simply cannot understand why they're this half-caster abomination. Not good at magic AND not good at combat. Knew I should have picked Ninja for this campaign and just taken all the Acrobatics tricks.
>>
>>51282728
They're there to be mediocre. If you want the players to be more similar in power level for example. A full cleric can remove all kinds of problems quite quickly. A warpriest will offer the same things, but at a slower rate, allowing the GM to easier prepare challenges, without having to bullshit stuff.

Finally the warpriest, much like the Magus, actually has options in combat, even while playing melee. Both due to his extra feats and his swift action casting and other swift action abilities.

It's a fun class that offers a lot at a reasonable power level. Slap him together with other 6th lvl casters and you will end up with a versatile party that doesn't break the game
>>
>>51283074
I see. This explains why playing him in a level 3 game is suffering.
>>
>>51282925
>I simply cannot understand why they're this half-caster abomination.
Is this your first time playing a Gish?
First of all, it gets better with more levels. The more buffs you can slap on yourself, the better you get (while keeping utility options open).
You need to know what you want to do with the class. It is mainly a martial oriented class, so don't try to play him as a control caster or something (although sometimes it might be smarter to try a save or suck/lose). Make smart use of your bonus feats, they allow you to grab stuff early.
Check your blessings. Some last one minute by default. Just slap these on if you think a fight is coming. If they grant bonuses to skills, use them outside of fights, too.

What's the rest of the group looking like?
>>
>>51282728
Dare I ask, what system?
>>
>>51283216
We have a Cleric, a Sunder-Fighter, and I think a Ranger. I pity the Ranger.

>>51283226
Pathfinder. I am rather fed up with it.
>>
>>51283101
I'd say only few classes are already interesting to play at lvl 3. Straight martials are more fun, because you're not yet locked into your one trick and can move around. Lvl 3 also hurts for all 6th lvl or delayed casters, because regular casters already have lvl 2 spells, while you're stuck on lvl 1.
>>
>>51283256
Ayep. It doesn't hurt so bad for paladins because you've already got the gimmick of "I wade around in blood pools with open wounds and don't get sick"
>>
>>51283251
Well, playing a warpriest and a cleric in the same group is kinda redundant (because you offer the same utility spells, but worse, but if he starts punching people, you're on top).
You might not match the raw numbers the fighter and the ranger provide, but you're more likely to stay standing when will saves roll around, which is definitely a big plus.
When you hit lvl 4, you can start buffing yourself with bull's strength, which will give you quite a leg up. Around lvl 7 you'll most of the time match the martials and have some spell slots over for utility

However, warpriest wasn't the greatest pick for that group. An arcane caster would have given access to different spells as well as skills. The way it looks like your a group of three punchy guys with access to solid, but onedimensional utility spells due to the cleric and yourself
>>
>>51283423
The GM heavily encouraged me and then refused to let me change class when I noticed it wasn't as enjoyable as Paladin.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.