[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge -「 W E D N E S D A Y W E E K 」

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 262
Thread images: 23

File: 57.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
Good morning and welcome back to Ask A Judge!
>>
If your first spell of the turn while you have Rashmi, Eternties Crafter on the battlefield is a Spell like Cyclonic Rift for it's overload cost it counts the regular CMC (1U) instead of the Overload cost (6U) when Rashmi's ability triggers, correct?
>>
>>51274279
Correct. CMC is always the sum total of the symbols in the top right. The CMC of Cyclonic Rift is always 2, whether you're paying 1U, U, 0, 2U, 6U, or WUBRG and a cookie to cast it.
>>
Exquisite Archangel doesn't save you against infect, right? You just lose, because nothing Archangel does helps you
>>
>>51274403
Right. SBA says 'you lose because you have 10 or more poison counters', which the Archangel replaces with "Exile Exquisite Archangel and your life total becomes equal to your starting life total, because you have 10 or more poison counters'. SBAs get checked again... and you still have 10 poison counters, so they try to kill you again. No Archangel this time, so you just lose.
>>
>>51274403
>>51274461

How does Exquisite Angel work in 2HG?
>>
>>51274711
The team shares a life total, and in most cases will win or lose simultaneously. If your team's total hits 0 with one of you having an Angel, instead of losing, the team's life total is set back to 30.
>>
Why do you always use Italian Spell Snip for the OP?
>>
>>51274826
Branding.
>>
>>51274243
Would a Metallic Mimic naming human give Thalias Lieutenant a +1/+1 token?
>>
>>51275375
It would! You make that decision as the Mimic enters- meaning by the time it actually hits the board, it'll have that creature type. It doesn't come in as a Shapeshifter and then become a Human, it comes in as a Human Shapeshifter, so it'll trigger the Lieutenant.
>>
>>51274877
Branding with other Ask A Judge
>>
What cards from Aether Revolt do you think are going to give you the most problems as a judge?
>>
>>51275989
Exquisite Archangel and Bounce Elephant are the first that come to mind.
>>
>>51276093
Talking about the bounce elephant:
Can you decide to bounce it back into your hand even if you have 2+ energy counters? Some judge said yes so he's probably right but it still feels weird
>>
>>51276300
The release notes were pretty clear. If you don't have 2 energy, you must bounce it even if you don't want to. If you DO have 2 energy, you must pay it even if you don't want to.
>>
If I cast Indomitable creativity and reveal a greenwarden of murasa, can I put it back into my hand? Also if I sacrifice greenwarden to creativity can I put it back in my hand?
>>
If I'm Mindslaving an opponent in EDH and get his commander removed, who gets to choose if the commander goes back to the command zone?

This question is brought to you by spectating a very salty game at my LGS last week.
>>
>>51276300
If you don't have energy, it bounces.

If you -do- have energy, you pay, whether or not you want to.

That'd be the part that's gonna confuse people.

>>51276817
Greenwarden's trigger doesn't need a target until it goes on the stack. It can't go onto the stack until after we're done resolving this spell. So by the time Greenwarden's trigger needs a target, Creativity is in the graveyard, and is a legal target for the trigger.

If you feed an existing Greenwarden to it, that WON'T work; that trigger will go on the stack above the spell, and it can't target the Creativity because the spell is still... well, a spell on the stack, not a card in the graveyard.

>>51276870
You do. It's your opponent's choice... but you're making all their decisions this turn. Why would that be any different?
>>
>>51276817
By the time greenwarden's ability goes on the stack, Indomitable creativity will be a legal target to return to your hand.

If you have creativity destroy greenwarden, same thing - by the time greenwarden's ability goes on the stack, IC will have finished resolving and be in the graveyard for you to recur.

>>51276870
You do, because the commander's owner gets to pick, and you're taking his turn so you get to make all choices for him.
>>
>>51277190
>>51277190
This anon is correct; for some reason I had it in my head that creativity was 'as an additional cost'. it won't destroy the Warden until it begins resolving, so it'll work just fine on that end as well- mea culpa.
>>
>>51277188
Not to argue, but why would hitting greenwarden with indomitable creativity cause it to not be a legal target? Destroying greenwarden is part of the spell, resolving, sure, but I thought nothing can go on the stack in the middle of a spell resolving.
>>
File: JFK.gif (4MB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
JFK.gif
4MB, 512x384px
>>51277239
Because I was wrong! RTFC, kids.
>>
>>51277284
Thank you both for the answer!
>>
>>51275375
>>51275400
This is also the reason that a two mimics on the same type will +1/+1 the second one.
>>
>>51277227
you always culpa
>>
if i have 1 card in hand at the beginning of my upkeep and have an asylum visitor on board, but i want to discard it to stromkirk condemned's ability to have my team pumped for this turn and still draw from visitor? if i discard it in response to 'at the beginning of upkeep' abilities does visitor's ability not trigger? i think i have to drop them at EOT of last turn but not 100%
is there any way of getting visitor's draw AND condemned's PT boost on my turn or is it only one?
>>
How smelly are they
>>
>>51282306
who
>>
Just to be clear, if you have an ability that says "Target creature blocks this combat":
1: can you force a creature that cannot block to block?
2: can you force a tapped creature to block?
3: Can you override a "Target creature cannot block this combat"?
>>
>>51282458
>If a creature affected by the ability of [CARDNAME that forces creatures to block] is tapped or is affected by a spell or ability that says it can’t block, then it doesn’t block. If there’s a cost associated with having that creature block, its controller isn’t forced to pay that cost, so it doesn’t have to block in that case either.
>>
>>51282113
Asylum Visitor's trigger has what we call an intervening 'if' clause. That bit between the 'when' and the effect- the "if that player has no cards in hand"- is checked twice. It's first checked at the time the trigger WOULD go onto the stack, and again as it goes to resolve. It has to be true at both those times. If it's not true as the trigger fires (which it won't be, because you have a card in your hand), the trigger never even goes on the stack. By the time you even have priority, the trigger's tried, shrugged, and left.

>>51282458
"if able" is the key phrase there.

1) No, because it can't block. It must block if able, but it isn't able.

2) Only if they control Masako the Humorless. Otherwise, a tapped creature can't block, which means it isn't able, which means it isn't forced to block.

3) Nope. Can't beats can.
>>
>>51282507
What about the other way around? Can a creature forced to block be overridden by an effect that forces it to not block or adds the defender ability?
>>
>>51282538
so i need to decide between
a) discarding the card at EOT and getting the draw but not the boost
b) holding the card and getting the boost but not the draw
i'm starting to see the value of that funky card that gives you two upkeeps

should i run metallic mimic over olivia? the haste is rarely relevant but the counter and flying often are...
>>
>>51282597
Dude I don't know how to win games, I just know the rules
>>
>>51282545
>forces it to not block
Usually that's put as "Can't block this combat/turn", and can't beats can.

As for defender, that'd only apply on 'forced to attack'. It wouldn't have any interaction with "must block this turn if able".
>>
File: 1475415177254.png (447KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
1475415177254.png
447KB, 610x610px
>>51274243
Im new to magic. My friends are already pretty into it and I finally decided to join them. Was gifted a green/black deck.

What are some good resources for learning about the game and its decks/combos etc?
>>
>>51282724
I'm afraid I don't have any specific resources to point out to you- being good at the game has never been my angle, so I don't do a lot of reading into things like that. I just follow current metas enough to know what stuff to expect at events.
>>
File: IMG_3518.jpg (43KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3518.jpg
43KB, 223x310px
So, pic related equipped to heartless hidestugu. Who wins when he nukes if the life totals are 20+ for all players.
>>
>>51283036
Nobody. Everyone will take 10 or more damage, which is done in the form of poison counters. SBAs get checked and see everyone has 10 or more poison counters, so every player loses. Game is a draw.
>>
File: Toshiro Umezawa.jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Toshiro Umezawa.jpg
75KB, 312x445px
If I cast Diabolic Edict with Toshiro Umezawa out, can I target Diabolic Edict with Toshiro's ability? It resolves and they sac, is it in my graveyard 'in time' to be targeted by Toshiro?

I think not, since it doesn't hit the graveyard until it's actually done it's effect, and thus I don't think Toshi could grab it for the one-two punch, but it's never come up before since it's a weird ability!
>>
>>51283313
Umezawa's trigger can't go on the stack (and thus, won't need a target) until the Edict has fully resolved. By then, it's in the graveyard, and is a legal target.
>>
I've heard that if you tap a Merieke Ri Berit, and then bounce her in response to the activated ability, you never gain control of the creature. Why is that?

Also, if you give a creature you stole with het indestructible and then untap Merieke, the creature doesn't die, but I've heard that if you later untap Merieke again the untap trigger will still try to destroy the creature again. Why is that?

I mostly just want to know the ins and outs of this weird card, before I start building an EDH deck around her.
>>
>>51283907
>First thing
Because if a duration ends before it would begin, it never begins in the first place.

>Second thing
You've heard wrong. When her activated ability resolves, it does two things: it creates a continuous effect in layer 2 saying you control it for as long as you control her, and it sets up a delayed triggered ability of "When ~ becomes untapped, destroy the creature this ability targeted". It only sets up one instance of that trigger; once it fires (whether it resolves, fizzles, or gets Stifled), it's done. It won't ever trigger again, because the event that triggers it happened. If she's tapped again, it'll set up a NEW triggered ability, but that trigger will be associated with the new target, not 'everything Merieke has ever stolen'.
>>
>>51284073
>Because if a duration ends before it would begin, it never begins in the first place.
what about the bullshit o-ring crap
fuck that makes me mad
>"hurr durr i get to exile your stuff with no downside and abuse rules loopholes like an asshole"
>>
>>51284104
O-ring doesn't create a duration. If it did (which the new wording, like on Banishing Light does), the trick wouldn't work for that exact reason.

Also, they're not 'abusing rules loopholes'. They are utilizing the rules to win. By that logic, Splinter Twin is bullshit because it's a "stupid rules loophole" that you can activate an ability more than once per turn if you can pay for it more than once.
>>
>>51284073
Ah, thank you. I'm already looking forward to equiping stolen creatures with darksteel plate to control them permanently. Also some other judge is an idiot I guess.
>>
>>51284151
nah nah
you misunderstand, it's more like the "intended usage" of the card is for o-ring to come down but if it gets hit by naturalize you get your shit back and they're circumventing that.
they are having their cake and eating it too. wotc wised up and introduced the newer wording. Banishing Light is the fixed version of o-ring.
>>
>>51284207
To be fair, that's not exactly a new trick. Sure, it's not the "intended use" to Disenchant it in response to exile it, but it's also not the "intended use" of Bazaar to be bonkers in dredge.
>>
>>51284195
Not an idiot, just mistaken. Everyone makes mistakes- that doesn't make you a moron, it makes you human.
>>
>>51284271
Oh, one more question, and this might be total bullshit, but what happens if you have a Merieke and eg a vedalken shackles on the board, and you use them to gain control of the same indestructible creatures, and then you boomerang merieke? Basically, how do 2 "you control target creature for as long as..." Effects interact?
>>
>>51284308
Basically, both of them exist simultaneously, with the most recently-created effect "overriding" the other. Effectively no change. If both those effects are active, and they break one of them (for example, you steal with Merieke AND with Vedalken, and then untap Shackles), that effect ends, but the other's still active, so you don't lose the creature.
>>
>>51284271
miguel-and-tulio.webm
>>
>>51284271
I know you're trying to be neutral but you have to admit some judges just doesn't have the knowledge of one. For instance, that Scrounging Bandar question yesterday, man i would be pissed if it was ruled like that against me.
>>
>>51284545
Some, sure. But the number of judges that are out-and-out morons is massively smaller than the number who are perfectly competent and occasionally make a mistake.
>>
>>51284545
People get rusty, plus there's a lot of fringe cases that people don't think about.
It's not easy to be a judge, and I've taken the test a few times just to be the de facto 'rules guy' for casual EDH nights.
>>
>>51284207
>they are having their cake and eating it too. wotc wised up and introduced the newer wording. Banishing Light is the fixed version of o-ring.
It's not even that powerful. O-ring needs an enabler like Vedalken Mastermind to squeeze the "forever" value out of O-ring's wording. It's not even close to competitive; one permanent exiled per turn for 4 mana - with setup and a fragile enabler - is not strong in any format. You're better off using actual single card removal like Path/STP in most situations. It's not "having your cake and eating it too", it's just a neat Johnnyish interaction.
>>
Speaking of judges

I tried to contact my regional co-ordinator a month or two ago through the official form asking them about becoming a judge. On your advice, after having no response, I submitted another form three weeks ago and have again gotten no response. Would you be able to get me in contact with them? I live in Australia.
>>
>>51286591
If you feel comfortable giving me some kind of contact information, I can make sure it gets to them.
>>
Have you ever judged a major event? What did you get from it? How much value in promos and that Jazz do you get from judging and being a judge? What's the highest value thing you've ever gotten?
>>
>>51286745
Thanks very much, my email is [email protected]
I can send a message to forward to them if you want.
>>
>>51285016
To be entirely honest, Mangara + Karakas is a 4 mana per turn setup to exile one permanent per turn and it does or has seen play in legacy. Not the best thing in the world, but will win a long game against some decks I guess.
Fiend Hunter+Saving Grasp was also fucking bonkers in limited, it's all context-dependent.
>>
>>51284545
I remember playing against an L1 at a PPTQ a year ago who didn't realise that Anafenza the Foremost prevented an opponent's Liliana, Heretic Healer from flipping.
>>
File: Image.png (133KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
133KB, 223x311px
If i control Gonti's Aether Heart and a creature and cast Fabrication Module, does my creature receive a counter when the module ETBs?
>>
>>51289893
yes
>>
How do regenerate effects interact with exile effects like Kalitas/Anger of the gods?
>>
>>51290236

They don't. Exiled creatures are exiled, not destroyed.
>>
>>51290236
Instead of going to the yard, the creature is tapped and removed from battle. Since it doesn't die, it's not exiled.
>>
Here's a question the people at the rules IRC didn't feel they could confidently answer.

I mulligan'd to having 1 card in hand. I'm on the draw and the card in my hand is a Gemstone Caverns. Can I start the game with the Gemstone Caverns on the battlefield with a luck counter?
>>
>>51286904
I'll be passing this along today.

>>51289893
It can! You play your artifact, and it triggers Heart upon entering. As the trigger resolves, you get EE; by then, Module is fully on the battlefield, sees you get energy, and triggers. You can then target your creature to get a counter.

>>51290236
Quite well! The creature would be destroyed (by damage or an effect for Kalitas, by damage probably for Anger), but instead it is tapped, has all damage removed from it, and is removed from combat if it was IN combat. The destruction event is replaced, so the creature never attempted to go to the graveyard, so no exile.

>>51290480
I'd say yes. It'd be like "if you do, sacrifice a creature" while controlling no creatures. That's not a cost, nor is it a prerequisite to putting the card out (if it was, it'd say 'you may exile a card in your hand. If you do...'). From my reading of the card, you begin the game with Caverns on board, then exile a card from your hand- the game sees that you can't, shrugs, and moves on, but you still have Cavern out.
>>
>>51274243
I have Felidar Guardian out. I target with Saheeli's -2. Opponent ca sts Fatal Push with Revolt, targeting the Guardian. In reaponse, I cast Essence Flux, targeting the Guardian. What happens if both players pass at that point?
>>
>>51291243
Essence Flux resolves, blinking your cat. Cat triggers, and will probably blink Saheeli. Fatal Push goes to resolve, and fizzles for having no legal target. Saheeli's -2 goes to resolve, and fizzles for having no legal target. Once all of that's done, you can activate Saheeli to start the combo up again.
>>
>>51291263
Thanks!
>>
>>51291049
Cheers for passing that on gA. You're the best
>>
>>51291522
No problem! I got ahold of -my- RC, gave him your contact info, and he's passed it on directly.
>>
>>51286811
Did you miss this one?
>>
>>51291542
I apparently did!

>>51286811
Several. I've done probably 6 or 7 Grands Prix, ranging from 800-ish players to 7000+. They're a neat experience, but I've kinda slowed down on GPs because it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost.

You don't get any promos for being a judge- well, not usually. They've done a couple mass-mailings like the basic lands, and the Dark Confidant. The old way to get promos was to work a GP, where you'd get a packet of Judge Foils as a 'thank you' from Wizards. That got stopped because people were pointing out that it was basically them paying us under the table by giving us an object that cost them 10 cents to print, but which we could sell for 50 dollars. Now, the way to get foils is the Exemplar Program, where Level 2 and 3 judges are able to nominate other judges for doing exemplary work in some way or another, and then the list of judges who were recognized is published online (along with WHY they were recognized), and also we get foils.

The highest value thing I've ever gotten was my very first exemplar packet, which had a Phyrexian Elesh Norn and a Force of Will judge promo. When I got it, they were something like 1400 dollars put together. But that wasn't typical by a long shot.
>>
>>51291049
Okay back to the Gemstone Caverns thing again. Let's say I have another card in my hand. And that card is a leyline. Can I put the leyline onto the battlefield, and then after that put the Gemstone Cavern onto the battlefield with the luck counter?
>>
>>51291862
103.5. Some cards allow a player to take actions with them from his or her opening hand. Once the mulligan process (see rule 103.4) is complete, the starting player may take any such actions in any order. Then each other player in turn order may do the same.

>May take any such actions in any order
You're good.
>>
>>51291912
Cool. thanks!
>>
>When Greenbelt Rampager enters the battlefield, pay EE. If you can't, return Greenbelt Rampager to its owner's hand and you get E.

If you can't pay EE, can you crew a vehicle with greenbelt rampager before it returns to your hand?
>>
>>51292200
You won't bounce the Rampager until the trigger resolves. You can respond to that trigger by activating the Crew ability of a Vehicle you control, assuming you're able to meet the requirement (IE, it's Crew 3 or less, or you're also tapping other stuff with the elephant)

tl;dr yes
>>
File: Metallic mimic.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Metallic mimic.png
138KB, 223x311px
Let's say I play a Metallic Mimic, naming Construct.

If I play a second Metallic Mimic and naming Construct again, will the second Metallic Mimic enter with a +1/+1 counter on it?
>>
Silly question,

"Play" is the same as "cast", right?
>>
>>51292263
Yes, because the second Mimic is a Construct as it enters the battlefield.
>>
>>51292296
Kinda sorta not really.

"Play" used to be sort of an all-purpose word. Permanents were 'in play'. You would play lands, play spells, and play activated abilities. In M10 they cleared that up- 'in play' became 'on the battlefield', 'play a spell' became 'cast a spell', and you no longer played activated abilities, you activated them. The "play" wording stayed for lands.

Old cards mention 'playing' things- you want to check the Oracle text to see if that's been updated to "Cast" or not. Some of them have not, and that's on purpose- if a card still says 'play' (for example, Spark of Creativity), what that means is that you can CAST the card if it's a spell, or PLAY it (as your normal land drop for the turn) if it's a land.
>>
>>51292339
Gotcha
>>
I have an etiquette rules question.

I have a friend that I play with who stacks his lands in piles intentionally so that it's impossible to get a general idea of his remaining untapped mana. He does play with seperate untapped and tapped piles and seperated by type. He says he always wants people to have to ask him what he has left. On numerous occasions it has caused myself and other players problems. I have asked him several times to splay his cards out a bit, but he always says since theres no rule saying he cant stack them that way that he wont.

I looked at rules a bit, and found in section 4.1 (Player Communication - http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/mtr4-1/ ) of the magic tournament rules that his lands are considered free information, but the amount of lands is considered derived information. The rules say this of derived information "Derived information is information to which all players are entitled access, but opponents are not obliged to assist in determining..."

So my question is, Should my friend have to play with his lands out in a manner that makes it visible exactly how much mana he has remaining, or can he continue to play his way?

Also keep in mind that we only play casual EDH, so there is no judge we can call upon. I am asking because I just know that he wont ever accept it unless I can prove to him that its against the rules or would at least be judged bad sportsmanship.
>>
>>51274243
i have Nyktos, shrine of nyx in play
i have three creatures (first creature mana cost is G, second is GG, third is GGG) and my total devotion is 6.
i use the Nyktos second ability and i add 6 green mana to my mana pool.
i have decimator of the provinces in my hand.
my question is:
can i cast the decimator of the provinces for his emerge cost (6GGG) sacrifing the creature with GGG mana cost (so cmc 9 - cmc 3= 6 mana) or at the same moment i sacrifice the creature with GGG mana cost my devotion automatically decrease to 3?
>>
>>51292639
He's not required to assist you in determining it, but he also isn't allowed to hinder you from determining it yourself. If your opponent is setting up the board in such a way to intentionally hamstring you from being able to gather derived information, or worse, actually CONCEAL it from you, that would lead to an unpleasant conversation were it at an event.

As for casual EDH, there's three ways to approach this: You can show him the 'can't stop you from figuring it out yourself' thing, and tell him that attempting to hinder you is against the rules; you could be a giant asshole back, and just point to every single land he controls and asks "What is the name and status of that object in a public zone", making the process of 'figuring out what he has tapped and untapped' is such a long process that he quits this bullshit to save time...

Or you can go the route I'd suggest, which is 'Dude, seriously? Can you maybe not be a dick?', and if he continues to be a dick, decline to play with him. If he asks why, say "because you're a dick".
>>
Battle of Wits pilots aside, why do some people put more than the minimum amount of cards in their decks?
>>
>>51293152
Sure! Most people float mana before beginning to cast a spell anyway, but even if you did it by the letter, generating mana as part of the spellcasting process, you generate mana before you start to pay costs, so you'd tap Nykthos for your GGGGGG before you pay the costs (such as saccing a creature).

>>51293215
"Does not understand math".
>>
Wheres a good place to learn about the deeper tactics in magic like mana curve and stuff like that? I understand how to play the game but im wondering if there are like guides or "masterclasses" for more advanced play.
>>
What is your favorite card and why?
>>
>>51293249
There's a ton of articles on sites like Starcity and TCGPlayer, but I unfortunately don't have anything specific to tell you to look for.

>>51293267
Garbage Fire, because Garbage Fire.
>>
Fogs, in this case selfless squire are not replacement effects. An attacking creature equipped with inquisitor's flail will have its damage doubled before it is prevented.

They key to look for would be the word instead.
>>
>>51293238
>>51293215
Oh yeah. Hypothetically, the hypothetical (pre-4 card limit) Shahrazad deck.
>>
>>51295941
Actually, damage prevention effects 'work' exactly like replacement effects, and interact with replacement effects in the same way. For example, let's replace Selfless Squire with Deflecting Palm, and say the Flail is on a 3/3.

The 3/3 wants to do 3 damage to you, but two things want to modify that damage: Flail wants to replace "3 damage" with "6 damage", and Deflecting Palm wants to prevent all that damage and smack the original target of Palm. Since the damage is hitting you, you're the affected player, and choose which to apply. If you apply Palm first, then Flail can no longer apply, because the equipped creature is no longer attempting to do damage; the target of Palm will take 3.

If you apply Flail first, though, it'll double the damage to 6... and Palm's prevention effect can still apply, because the chosen source is still trying to damage you. So you can have the opponent take 6, rather than 3.

Also, did I miss a question? I didn't see anyone asking about Selfless Squire.
>>
>>51296076
No, the question was whether that was correct or not, I just didn't ask it as a question.

I also thought that if I was wrong that the controller of the [damage/attacking creature] would choose the order of replacement effects rather than the defending player. Guess I'll have to dig into replacement effects some more.
>>
>>51296194
When you've got multiple replacement effects wanting to apply to the same event, the one who chooses is the controller of the affected object (or owner, if it doesn't HAVE a controller), or the affected player.

The event being modified here is "I am taking 3 damage"- I am the affected player, so it's my choice. If it were "this creature is being dealt 3 damage", then that creature is the affected object; basically, we look at what something is happening -to- as the affected thing, rather than "what is doing the thing".
>>
>>51296306
Makes sense, I was treating the damage itself as the object being affected.
We got the matching end result anyways. (Flail was on an Ovalchase Dragster for spectacular wipeouts)
>>
>>51274243
If I'm drawing my initial 7 card hand and the first card I draw is Temporal Mastery can I put the miracle trigger on the stack and if I draw a way to make one and a blue at instant speed like with guides and manamorphose then cast it? If so do I then get to keep mulliganing?
>>
>>51297964

Initial drawing is before your turn begins, so no.
>>
how do i make Inverter of Truth work without shooting myself in the foot? best idea i've had so far is BUG mill with khans sidisi and other jank. this is for kitchen table btw not even gonna attempt standard with Inverter.
no labman that guy is boring
>>
>>51300095
Torpor orb and Hushwing gryff work well. Or you could just go with the more balls to the walls method of Platinum angel
>>
>>51300207
wait i've got it
i can use it in commander as a replacement for praetor's counsel as that card is too expensive to cast and GGG is tougher in 4c yidris wheels & value. cascade is a may cast thing so if i cascade into it too early i can just bottom it but lategame when i've got 30+ cards in the bin i can cast the eldrazi. hmm this sounds bad but i wanna play this card
>>
>>51297964
Nope, because pre-game procedures are not during your turn.
>>
In commander my opponents blightsteel got milled by his red gearhulk and was the first creature to get milled. does he shuffle then do the other two or do all 3 mills then shuffl?
>>
>>51301549
Does all 3. While most people mill cards one at a time, it isn't like drawing; when you're told to mill 3, you take the top 3 cards of your library and put them all into your graveyard simultaneously, not one at a time. So your opponent would go to put all 3 in the graveyard, but Blightsteel replaces that with "put those 2 in the graveyard, but reveal me and shuffle me in instead of putting ME in there too".
>>
>>51301688
and he counts as the damage as well because the gearhulk ability doesn't care where he was put?
>>
If I have Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar out, can I still "draw" cards if an opponent controls Leovold?

What happens if I Stifle/Trickbind, say, Temporal Mastery as it's being Miracle'd?

If I have Caged Sun (naming blue), and I play High Tide, do my Islands produce triple or quadruple mana? What if I cast it again?
>>
What happens when a player is at one life and heartless hidetsugu is activated?
>>
>>51300095
You could just play Doomsday.
>>
>>51303503
zero damage
>>
>>51302390
You only draw cards if the text says "draw". Tomorrow replaces that, so you never technically draw a card. So you get around leoveld just fine.

Stifling the miracle trigger will prevent them from casting it for its discounted price, and also prevent them from being able to cast sorceries (like terminus) at weird times.

Caged sun and high tide say they add "one extra" mana, so it'll be 3 per island. Caged sun + 2 high tide is UUUU per island.

Also a question for gA when he wakes up: is there any official action plan for if a tournament venue loses power?
>>
I don't know if this thread is still active but my friends and I were having this discussion.

Winding Constrictor adds "that mamy counters plus one" to creatures and artifacts, would that include Thing in the Ice and make it have 5 counters instead of 4?

Also I'm not sure if it's actually possible but say you have a creature like Sigarda that gives you hexproof, and somehow this creature has flash, could you cast it in response to being targeted by a spell, and if so what would happen? I know this proabably can't actually happen but I'm curious.

Also how does one become a judge? And do you do it voluntarily or can WotC call you up like jury duty or times of war?
>>
>>51306010
Ice counters aren't placed on thing in the ice - it comes in with them pre-loaded, so winding constrictor won't affect it.

If you are targeted by a spell and flash in something that gives you hexproof in response (there are plenty of cards that could do this) then the spell will most likely be countered on resolution for having no legal targets. (Unless it targets more than just the player, in which case you're still immune but the spell does as much as it can).

Being a judge is 100% voluntary - talk to your local judge (wizards site should have a judge finder to determine who that is) if you want to get started.
>>
>>51306101
>titi
you're wrong about it i think. titi will came with an extra counter if you control the constrictor.
>>
>>51306235
Can you explain why? As far as I understand it, it doesn't come in and then load counters, its first ability just modifies how it comes in. It isn't an act of adding counters to a card already in play so constrictor shouldn't care.
>>
>>51306712
It's like the same way doubling season will double triskelions counters. Those counters are being placed still and so they get that many plus one of each counter. Namely ice counters.

Here is the gatherer ruling as well: If an artifact or creature you control would enter the battlefield with a number of any kind of counters on it, it enters with that many plus one instead
>>
>>51302223
Right. "Those cards" would be the top 3 cards of your library, not 'all cards put into your graveyard this way'.

>>51302390
You'll attempt to draw, and Tomorrow will replace that with 'instead do this other thing', which is NOT a draw. However, if you've actually drawn a card this turn (maybe you drew and then played Tomorrow), you can't BEGIN to draw another card because of Leovold, so Tomorrow's replacement effect won't be able to apply.

If you counter the Miracle trigger, they won't get the opportunity to cast it for the Miracle cost. It'll remain in their hand.

Triple. Caged Sun makes your land add 1 more than it normally would, as does High Tide. They're additive, not multiplicative.

>>51303503
They take half of 1 damage, rounded down, which is 0.

>>51305997
Not an official one, no. That's pretty much handled under the logic of "it is pointless to try to plan for every possible scenario, so deal with unlikely shit as it comes".

>>51306010
Yes. Constrictor doesn't care what kind of counters, so it'll add more of any kind- even 'bad' ones.

If you gave yourself Hexproof in response to a targeted spell, the spell would fizzle as it goes to resolve because you are no longer a legal target.

To become a Judge, you need to speak to an existing Level 2 or higher judge, pass an exam, pass an interview (which is basically 'don't be a human dumpster fire) and work 2 events. It's 100% voluntary- you're not obligated to work any event you don't want to.

>>51306101
You're incorrect about Thing in the Ice. "Placed", for counters, refers to things entering the battlefield with counters as well as counters being placed as the result of an effect.

>>51306712
121.6. Some spells and abilities refer to counters being "placed" on an object. This refers to putting counters on that object while it's on the battlefield and also to an object that's given counters as it enters the battlefield.
>and also to an object that's given counters as it enters
>>
>>51307563
Well that shows me I guess.
>>
can someone point me to a magic thread that answers more general questions about magic at large and not so much rules?? i dont want to shit up this thread with dumb stuff
>>
>>51282724
just browse around tg and google names
also install autocard anywhere or something like that on your browser
>>
Is liking traps gay?
>>
File: 184.jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
184.jpg
59KB, 312x445px
>>51313467
They're pretty spicy cards
>>
>>51313467
Only if you also have a mind break fetish.
>>
and I'm home from dinner!
>>
>>51315258
Can you brainstorm 'wrong' or is that just a running gag for LRR?
>>
>>51315881
Running gag. The joke being that Brainstorm is so much value that no matter how suboptimally you might resolve it, you're still coming out ahead; therefore, it's not possible to Brainstorm 'wrong'.

Thank you for subscribing to ServoFacts!
>>
>>51315919
>brainstorming in upkeep with library out confirmed not wrong
>>
>>51315919
So even with an enemy Leovold or Notion Thief out, Brainstorm is always value. Thanks GA
>>
>>51307563
So that means that if an opponent is at 1, havoc festival will kill them?
>>
What constitutes a card not being playable if its an alter or damaged? To what extent are these card not legal?
>>
EDH scenario. Ghastly Conscription has been played: Exile all creature cards from target player's graveyard in a face-down pile, shuffle that pile, then manifest those cards.
On the player's whose critters were stolen next turn, he plays Homeward Path and taps it so each player gains control of all creatures he or she owns. Do the critters return to his graveyard or directly to his battlefield? If to his battlefield are they 2/2 manifested generic creatures still or back to normal?? Thanks.
>>
>>51317391
They go back under his control on the bsttleifield and remain manifested creatures. Gaining control of a permanent doesn't cause it to enter the battlefield again
>>
>>51317476
Whew! We handled it correctly then.
>>
>>51317326
The rules for an alter are that the name and mana cost can't be obscured, the art must remain 'recognizable', the alteration can't contain excessive strategic information or offensive material, and it has to be indistinguishable from an unaltered card without looking at the face (so, if it's notably thicker or heavier, that's right out).

The rule for a damaged card is basically "can you tell it apart from your other cards without looking at the face?".

>>51317291
Right. They lose half of 1 rounded up, which is 1.

>>51317391
The owner of a card is whoever's deck it started the game in. Those manifested creatures are cards your opponent owns, so they'll get those cards back. They will still be face-down 2/2s.

Bed is now.
>>
got a question. My understanding is that summoning sickness is "a player’s inability to attack with a creature or to activate its abilities that include the tap symbol or the untap symbol unless the creature has been under that player’s control since the beginning of that player’s most recent turn"

So if i have a brain in the jar out play rise of the tides on my opponents turn, does that mean i am not able to attack once my turn begins?
>>
>>51317728
Ah hell, one more before I go.

"Summoning sickness" applies to any permanents you have not controlled continuously since the beginning of your most recent turn (it just doesn't DO anything to noncreatures).

If you used Brain in a Jar to cast a Rise during your opponent's turn, then you WILL be able to attack with the tokens on your turn. Why?

Well, you've controlled them continuously since the beginning of your most recent turn: This one.
>>
Would a hydra do damage equal to its X power off of Warstorm Surge or trigger a card like Elemental Bond if its X is 3 or more?
>>
>>51317757
so even though its your opponents turn its still considered your turn when you have priority?

does that mean i can cast a creature on my turn, pass turn then tap it for its ability on my opponents turn?

thanks for the reply!
>>
>>51317794
>so even though its your opponents turn its still considered your turn when you have priority?

That's not what priority means.

A turn is just that- a turn. One. Not 'everyone at the table has taken a turn'. If you play a creature on your turn, it won't be able to activate a tap ability until your next turn. Because you haven't controlled it continuously since the beginning of your most recent turn- because you played it in the MIDDLE of that turn.

With the tokens, you flashed them in during your opponent's turn. Then you began YOUR turn, with them under your control.

>>51317774
The Hydras enter WITH their counters. They don't come in as 0/0s and then get the boost- if you played an Apocalypse Hydra for X=5, then it comes down as a 10/10. It'd do 10 damage for Warstorm Surge (probably; that doesn't check the creature's power until it resolves, so if your opponent flashed in a Chant of the Skirsdag in response it'd do 0). It would also trigger Elemental Bond and draw you a card.
>>
>>51317829
oooo i see thanks
>>
File: 1284038052582.png (94KB, 569x657px) Image search: [Google]
1284038052582.png
94KB, 569x657px
>>51317829
Thank you very much, honorable judgeru.
>>
New player here. Are "racial" decks a thing? For example, fielding just goblins? Can it be done? Can it be competitive? Or are you going to be completely blown the fuck out even in casual play and waste money constructing it.
>>
>>51318005
racial decks are definately a thing. back when kamigawa was a set i ran a zubera deck and later on when time spiral came out slivers made an epic return.

havent played many fnm's in my area though so im not sure but from the threads ive read on here everyone seems to complain standard is too expensive to get into since ppl like to run expensive decks that are hard to contend with unless you run the same top 8 decks. but maybe its just me.
>>
Can you target something with hex parasite that doesn't have any counters? Wanna make a Horobi deck.
>>
>>51320394
Also, does retribution of the ancients target your own creatures?
And if someone were to lightning bolt one of my creatures while Horobi is out, can I sacrifixe Horobi in response so that my creatures don't die?
>>
>>51320394
yes you can

>>51320423
no it doesn't

no it won't save your creature
>>
File: 636192340369741624.png (192KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
636192340369741624.png
192KB, 265x370px
For example if I cast Bonesaw, can I tap it right away to help cast improvise? I'm guessing no since summoning sickness but it's not part of Bonesaw's ability.
>>
>>51317670
>The rule for a damaged card is basically "can you tell it apart from your other cards without looking at the face?"
Can i play damaged cards in a tournament as long as they're in non transparent sleeves?
>>
>>51320491
Yes you can
>>
>>51320503
Yes you can as long as it's indistinguishable from other cards in your deck and as long as the relevant info on face of the card is still recognizable.
>>
>>51320394
>Hex Parasite
You absolutely can. Magic lingo is specific to a fault; the only thing Hex Parasite requires to activate it's ability is a "target permanent" and some mana. However, note it also specifies you get power for each counter removed. You can''t remove counters that aren't there, so it won't get any power.

>Retribution of the Ancients
It does not target your own dudes. Very few things in magic (barring auras) target without specifically saying it.

>Horobi
Unfortunately you can't. Before you have a chance to respond to the bolt, Horobi's triggered ability is put on the stack. Once that happens, there's not much you can do to stop it. Sundial of the Infinite is a decent way to get around it, as long as they're bolting your dudes on your turn.

My advice with Horobi, don't forget Auras and Equipment target.
>>
>>51318005
They're usually called "tribal" decks. They're usually subpar since it restricts your deckbuilding options, but there are a few tribes with enough synergy to make them viable in competitive or semi-competitive environments: goblins, elves and merfolks.
>>
>>51320491
Summoning sickness is only for creatures. Bone saw is not a creature, so it can be tapped right away.
This would not be true if you turned your bone saw INTO a creature, like with Ensoul artifact or Tezzeret's touch.
>>
>>51320491
Summoning sickness only applies to creatures. However, since, as you say, it's the demon's ability, not the artifacts, you can even tap artifact creatures immediately to pay for improvise. Summoning sickness only stops attacking and abilities of that creature that use the tap symbol.
>>
on my opponents turn, do I get priority when he does nothing on his first main phase?
I want to know if I have the chance do do anything before he starts declaring attackers.
>>
>>51320648
you get priority when your opponent did nothing and pass it to you.
>>
>>51320648
you have a few chances to respond, but the two you're looking for are during his main phase whenever he has passed priority (which he has to at least once to move to combat) and at Start of Combat, which is during the combat phase, but before attackers are declared (denying him the opportunity to cast sorceries after you done the thing)
>>
>>51320648
For the game to pass between phases, both players must pass priority. Often a player will just jump straight to combat after drawing, but you can for sure say "Hold on, I'm gonna do something before combat". If you want to get funky with the combat phase, you can cast stuff at the end of the main phase, at the beginning of combat before attackers, before blockers, before first strike damage and before regular damage.
>>
>>51320685
is there some trick to getting it in mtg online? I lost several games now because I wanted to tap his shit before he declares attackers but I never got the chance to
>>
>>51320744
I think you can set stops between phases where the default is auto skip. It's been a long time since i played mtgo though.
>>
File: danke.jpg (32KB, 369x283px) Image search: [Google]
danke.jpg
32KB, 369x283px
>>51320803
found it, thanks man.
>>
File: Image[1].png (124KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].png
124KB, 223x311px
For improvise, can I tap equipment that one of my creatures is wearing?
>>
>>51320928
yes you can.
>>
>>51274243
Probably too late, but Google is no help.
Recently, I was told by my legs owner that another lgs owner had informed him I was kicked out of a tournement for cheating, and that something to this effect is reflected on my DCI. This never happened, but I wanted to be sure that I don't have a strike against me without causing social friction. Is there a way?
>>
File: Oath of Trump.png (246KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Oath of Trump.png
246KB, 375x523px
>>
>>51320394
Absolutely. The only targeting requirement for Parasite is 'target permanent', not 'target permanent with counters on it'. Horobi + Parasite lets you pay B or 2 life to nuke a creature over and over.

>>51320423
Only if you choose them as the target. It doesn't target the creatures you're pulling counters from.

Saccing Horobi in response to Horobi's trigger does nothing, because by the time you -can- sac Horobi, the trigger is on the stack, and abilities on the stack exist independent of their sources.

>>51320491
You can! Summoning sickness only applies to creatures, and even then it's only for attacking or abilities with the Tap or Untap symbol in their cost. You can tap a summoning-sick thing for Improvise or Convoke just fine.

>>51320503
As long as I can tell what card you're playing, and it's indistinguishable from the other cards in your library, go for it.

>>51320568
Not quite. An animated Bone Saw could 100% be tapped for Improvise the turn you play it, as could an artifact creature.

>>51320648
Yes. Every player gets priority at least once in every step and phase (except Untap, and USUALLY Cleanup) before moving on. Your opponent literally cannot move to Declare Attackers except by passing priority to you.

>>51320744
You have to set a stop, I believe.

>>51320928
Yep!

>>51320981
If you were suspended in any way by the DCI and Wizards, your name and DCI number would be on the publicly available "Suspended Players List" website. Ideally you also would have received a letter or an email of some sort explaining this to you.

If your name and DCI number are NOT on the site, then your store owner was either lied to, or is lying to you.
>>
>>51322432
But isn't there a warning system of some kind? I know you can be ejected from a tourney and not be suspended. There's a few people who went to my lgs who have been ejected, but aren't on that list.
>>
When can I cast a miracle?
Can I cast it if it's the first card I drew on my opponent's turn?
>>
>>51322677
Yes. There's penalties you can get in an event (Warning, Game Loss, Match Loss, Disqualification), which are recorded in the event reporter. A Disqualification does not automatically result in a Suspension, and a Suspension can come about with no DQ.

If you are suspended, your name and DCI number will be on the suspended players list, period. If they aren't, then you aren't suspended.

>>51322897
If the first card you drew in a turn has Miracle, and you revealed it as you drew it (IE, it didn't hit the rest of your hand and become indistinguishable from it), you put the Miracle trigger on the stack, and cast it as that trigger resolves. Even if it's a Sorcery during your opponent's turn.
>>
>>51322946
So is there a way to see off anything has been reported aside from a suspension?
>>
>>51321396
It should give +1 toughness to vehicles and walls.

I'm excited for his plans for train infrastructure.
>>
>>51322999
Not for a player, no. It also wouldn't matter. If you're not on the suspended players list, you are not suspended. You are welcome at any tournament. The only way you are NOT welcome at an event is if you're suspended, or you're not welcome at the VENUE.

Is it possible for a store to ban you for pretty much whatever reason they want? Yes. Do they have access to information about you being given a Game Loss or a DQ? No. And if they HEARD you got Disqualified, and decided that means you're not allowed at their store, it's very possible for them to get into a lot of trouble with Wizards.
>>
>>51323022
My concern is that if this place fabricates one or two incidents and I make a genuine mistake at a competitive REL, could it influence it? If so, then I would prefer to get this sorted out. If accumulated reports of this sort do nothing, then it's not worth the agitation.
>>
>>51323087
Technically, it could. Every month, the Investigations Committee gathers the list of all the Disqualifications that happened that month, and go over them. They look at what the DQ was for, what statements were given, and if necessary the penalty history for the DQed individual to determine whether they give a warning letter or a suspension. It is possible, in theory, for a store to be entering bogus penalties for you that would color an investigation. However,

1) You would have to already be enrolled in the event for them to be doing this (else, they're enrolling a player who is not present simply to make up bogus penalties)

2) They stand to gain basically nothing from this, other than making you believe you're not permitted at their events, and

3) If they were doing that, they would have their WPN status revoked so fast their head would spin.
>>
Theoretical Edh questions inbound

I have junk diver, myr retriever, dark steel hockey puck and kuldotha forgemaster on the field. I sac the three not important artifacts to search up sword of not and important. Can I use diver's and retrievers triggers to return them to my hand BEFORE I search up the sword?

And when I use Karn, Silver Golem's activated ability on Karn Liberated, how is damage done on my 7/7 planeswalker?

Wanna know these before they actually happen in game. Thanks GA
>>
>>51323429
>First bit
Not only CAN you, that's the only way to do it. You put the Forgemaster's ability on the stack, then pay for it by saccing the creatures. That means their triggers go onto the stack ABOVE the Forgemaster activation.

>Second bit
Well you'd need to make Karn Liberated an artifact first, because he normally isn't one. That said, damage will be dealt to him as a creature AND a planeswalker; damage dealt to Karn will result in that much damage being marked on him, and that many loyalty counters being removed. That's why Gideon's animation abilities include the damage prevention on top of indestructibility, and Sarkhan's makes him JUST a creature for the turn.
>>
>>51323466
Awesome. Also do you know if commanders need to be in the same sleeve as the deck, or does the tuck rule from a couple years back make that irrelevant
>>
>>51323544
They need to be. Even with the tuck rule, there's nothing in the rules for sleeves that lists Commander as an exception (and don't forget, someone can Mindslaver you to make sure your commander stays tucked). If you want to have your Commander in a different sleeve for visibility, have a second copy of it in a matching sleeve at the ready. Or just put your Commander themselves into a toploader, and take them out of it (still in a normal sleeve) if they get tucked or put into your hand.
>>
>>51323689
>toploader
Thats a perfect solution
>>
>>51274243
My Lantern control opponent drags the game out to turns, I have Grim Lavamancer in play and he has bridge and no hand. I ask him to concede since I have the win on board, he claims that he has an 8 turn clock and then proceeds to draw the top 8 cards of his deck before any concessions are made and show me that he would have "had it." At that point it was irrelevant what he would have drawn, I had the superior board position and he had no way to interact with it. Should I have shouted judge as loud as I could at this scumbag for drawing extra cards to get the match win?
>>
>>51274243
If I take control of Gideon or a manland with Olivia Voldaren, do I retain control of them once they are no longer a creature? If I lose control of Olivia while those permanents aren't creatures, do I lose control of those permanents as well?
>>
I have a Winding Constrictor on board and I play a verdous gearhulk.

Can I put them on one at a time on the Gearhulk, so I get 4 triggers from the snake?
>>
>>51323757
Snake is a replacement effect so you choose where the 4 counters from the gearhulk go, and then for each permanent you put counters on that permanent gets one more counter.
>>
>>51323736
You should have called for a Judge the moment he started drawing cards, yes. I totally understand his INITIAL logic, that just because you have the win on board given infinite time doesn't mean you'll win in the 5 turns (I know it's crummy, but unless he was actually Slow Playing, then he's right- you had 50 minutes to beat him, and you didn't beat him). He should have just stopped at "I do not concede" and let it be a draw. At the moment he started drawing those cards, he lost the game as far as I'm concerned.

>>51323747
You do! The duration of the control-change effect is "for as long as you control Olivia Voldaren"; it has no ties to the thing staying a creature that whole time. It just needs to be a creature when the ability is activated, and as it resolves. If you lose control of Olivia, the effect saying you control those objects immediately ends, whether or not they're animated, and they go back.

>>51323757
Snake does not have a trigger, it has replacement effects. Gearhulk comes down, and you choose up to 4 targets, distributing the counters as you like among them as long as each target gets at least one. If you targeted four different creatures, each one would get two counters, because the Constrictor's replacement effect would work for each of them. If you put all 4 on the same target, you'd only get 5 total counters.

Going into town to get lunch now!
>>
>>51323974
>>51324077
ah, gotcha. thanks
>>
File: 20170121_121200.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170121_121200.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
Not sure if right thread. Found this going through stuff. Is it worth anything?
>>
>>51324862
Not the right thread and no, it's not worth anything. It's an old welcome deck (or whatever they actually called them), part of a series that were made as convention freebies/teaching decks for stores to give out to new playes.
>>
>>51320539
Thanks, anon. Got any lists for some tribal decks?
>>
>>51325489
Well, this isn't really the right thread, but you can just google "mtg ____ tribal deck". There are many tribes in magic each with its own strength and weaknesses. Use TCGPlayer for the best prices when ordering online, or support local business by visiting your FLGS. There they can give a more in depth and hands on learning experience
>>
>>51325299
Cool thanks.
>>
>>51323736
As a general rule, if your opponent does anything scummy, confusing, or are generally unsure about, call a judge. That's what they are there for, and unless you're being an obnoxious turd you can't get in trouble for it.

I remember at an old Extended PTQ (should tell you how long ago that was) my opponent's deck was entirely foiled out. In game 2 I notice that two cards that are typically SB material were not foil, thought it sketchy, and called a judge.

The guy admitted that his main deck was foil and his side wasn't, but since they were all double sleeved they weren't marked. Judge inspected and agreed they weren't marked, then my opponent demands a game loss for USC - Major by "accusing him of cheating". Ended up yelling at the judge so much he got a GL himself.
>>
>>51327513
To pull from my favorite bit on Walking the Planes:

Not sure how certain cards work in the game you're playing? Ask a Judge.

Have a misunderstanding with your opponent and need a ruling? Ask a Judge.

Where do you sign up for the Two-Headed Giant Side Event? Ask a Judge.

Where's the best place to eat lunch? Ask a Judge.

Where's the bathroom? Ask a Judge.

What's the difference between a Kraken and an Octopus? Ask a Judge.

If a tree falls in the Forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? Ask a Judge.

Does it make a difference if the tree is a living Treefolk? Ask a Judge.

Do Treefolk have ears, and is that relevant? Ask a Judge.
>>
>>51323466
>and Sarkhan's makes him JUST a creature for the turn.
i did not know this...
so the difference between the two is gideon becomes a Planeswalker Creature - Gideon Human Soldier Ally but sarkhan becomes a Legendary Creature - Dragon with the name Sarkhan the Dragonspeaker, is that right? that would explain the reminder text on sarkhan.
>(He doesn't lose loyalty while he's not a planeswalker.)
Then what's the functional difference between a walker that can't have loyalty removed and a 'haha jokes i'm only a creature'? why is there this difference between the two? is there any other walker that turns into a creature and if so which method do they use?
>>
>>51329661
Correct.

As for the difference: Gideon's wording is how they've done it from the beginning, but I expect that the change for Sarkhan was either "Let's try a different wording out that accomplishes the same thing", or "This is flavorfully different from the other one".

Mechanics-wise, there are a few places where it's different. Gideon has a damage prevention shield, so it can stop Wither from fucking him up, but unpreventable damage would still hit him and reduce his loyalty. Sarkhan being just a creature means that he can still TAKE damage (so damage from a Wither or Infect source would kill him where it wouldn't hurt Gideon), but since he's not a Planeswalker he wouldn't lose loyalty from unpreventable damage, for example.
>>
>>51327905
What's the difference between a Kraken and an Octopus?
>>
>>51330089
Traditionally speaking, a Kraken is any vaguely squid or octopus-like sea-dwelling monster of notably massive size, and Krakens do not usually have a defined number of arms.

Octopuses have exactly 8 arms, and vary wildly in size.
>>
Here's 1 that's probably going to be relevant with the types of people I play with really soon, how seriously do you take it when a player insults another 1, if "foul language" is used?
>>
>>51330308
In a casual environment, it'll depend on the group. I know places where "You fucking asshole!" is a perfectly common response to everything from an overloaded Cyclonic Rift to a turn 1 Island, is said without any actual malice, and bothers nobody. I've also played in areas where any language above PG was taboo.

For an actual event, foul language itself is usually handled with USC Minor; a simple warning, and a direct instruction to watch the language. A directed insult, with or without profanity, will very likely result in USC Major, which comes with a Match Loss and a direct instruction to get your fucking shit together.

"That's gay" in response to a good play will get you USC Minor at worst, and a "dude, really?" at best.

"You're such a faggot" is going to get you USC Minor at best and USC Major at worst.
>>
>>51330175
why does kiora of the crashing wave make 9/9 krakens but kiora master of the depths makes octopi instead?
>>
>>51330353
>I know places where "You fucking asshole!" is a perfectly common response to everything from an overloaded Cyclonic Rift to a turn 1 Island, is said without any actual malice, and bothers nobody.

This is pretty much my playgroup. Playing a basic land on any turn is likely to be met with shit such as "BASIC LAND?! FOCUS FIRE ON THIS FUCK BEFORE HE HAS A CHANCE TO GAS THE JEWS".
It's pretty fun.
>>
>>51330357
Because Kiora loves all sea creatures, and wishes to let all of them fight for her.
>>
>>51274243
I play anticipate and find an aetherflux resovior and cast it then play another spell. How much life do I gain from that spell? I know that aetherflux itself does not count, but does the anticipate count?
>>
>>51331063
anticipate
>1st spell this turn
aetherflux reservoir
>2nd spell this turn
third spell this turn
>3rd spell this turn
you would gain three life from the reservoir in this situation, without other input
>>
>>51331063
You'd gain 3 life, because that's the third spell you've cast this turn. Reservoir won't trigger itself because it has to be on the battlefield to trigger, but it 'knows' how many spells you've cast this turn, including Reservoir itself, and everything cast prior to it. That third spell may be the first one you cast with Reservoir out, but it's the third one this turn, so you gain 3.
>>
>>51331107
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!
>>
>>51330357
Local fauna differences?
>>
>>51318005
That's called "tribal", and yes. Merfolk has very strong Legacy and Modern decks, Goblins has an OK Legacy deck, and casual tribal is always really fun.
>>
I'm currently making a BW Life Gain/Loss deck that uses the cheesy Exquisite Blood/Sanguine Bond combo, and I've got a question about something that will probably come up.

My buddy plays Vampires with that combo as well, with a couple of other cards to act as the trigger.

If both of us have the required cards to set the infinite heal+drain effect in motion, and both trigger at the same time, is the game forced into a draw? And, whose combo would take effect first, if it was on a) my turn, and b) neither of our turns (for multis)
>>
>>51333945
APNAP order will be what you want to study up on for this interaction.
>>
>>51333945
Well, you likely won't be doing it 'at the same time'. You'd each have a WAY of setting it off, and be staring each other down. For example, let's say you both had a Blood Artist and a sac outlet, no other creatures. Whoever sacs their creature first would lose, because the other would response to the activation with their own, and kill the opponent before THAT combo ever started.

Assuming you can do it multiple times, it'll basically come down to "who can be the last one to activate it".
>>
>>51334033
Also, bed now.
>>
File: sleep.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
sleep.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>
Hey ref. If i use brain the jar to play a spell can my opponent counter whatever i played using braim in the jar? Someone told me they couldnt cause im casting it through a mana activated ability
>>
File: Image (1).png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).png
126KB, 223x311px
is a judge the same thing as a referee?

>>51335708
first off, it's not a mana ability. so yes, the activated ability of brain in a jar uses the stack and can be responded to. gA can let you know what constitutes a mana ability
>Put a charge counter on Brain in a Jar, then you may cast an instant or sorcery card
>you may cast
same as casting a spell from your hand, the only difference here is instead of paying the price you just pay 1 and tap jar.
>>
say you burn yourself and an opponent (slagstorm), could you shift the damage you take to a planeswalker you control?
>>
>>51337536
no you can't
>>
>>51335708
They absolutely can counter it. You're casting the spell, it goes on the stack and can be responded to.

Where they're confused is that you can't respond to an activated mana ability, those just immediately resolve and nobody can respond. However, a mana ability is not "an ability which costs mana", it's "an ability which does not target, is not a loyalty ability, and could add mana to a mana pool as it resolves".

>>51337536
Nope. The Planeswalker Redirection Rule only permits you to take noncombat damage that a source you control would deal to an OPPONENT and shunt it to their planeswalker; no matter how badly you play, you are not your own opponent.
>>
How does angelic destiny work with end hostilities?
>>
>>51339896
End Hostilities will destroy the creature and the Aura, simultaneously. They leave the battlefield together, so Angelic Destiny will 'see' the enchanted creature die, and trigger. The trigger will return Destiny from the graveayrd to the owner's hand as it resolves.
>>
File: Knowledge+Pool+%5BMBS%5D.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Knowledge+Pool+%5BMBS%5D.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
If I have multiple abilities trigger from one event on my opponent's turn, who decides stack order?
>>
What happens if you control no creatures and two creatures enter the battlefield at the same time and one of those dudes has soulbond
>>
>>51340876
Your opponent will place all of their triggers on the stack in the order of their choosing first, because they are the Active Player. Then you, as the Non Active Player, will do the same.

If all the triggers are controlled by one player, they choose the order. If the triggers are split up, then it's AP/NAP order.

>>51340925
Assuming they're actually entering at the same time (like off of Warp World), then you have two triggers: one from the Soulbond creature entering, and another from the other creature. For either of those triggers, you can pair the two creatures.
>>
If 2 exotic orchards on on the battlefield can they tap for any color or are restricted to the lands opponents controls?
>>
File: Image.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>51341004
Okay, so as long as it's only me who owns multiple knowledge pools, it's me who chooses which pool a spell falls into/can be cast out of?

And I'd own every lifeline trigger if a si gle creature survived a wipe, so I choose how everyone's stuff reenters?

Or am I absolutely backwards?
>>
>>51341056
Just what's on board. For Orchard, we look at all the lands controlled by your opponents, and ask 'what colors of mana could these lands make if any of their mana abilities were to resolve right now'?. For YOUR Orchard, that answer is 'whatever my lands can make'. So if I only control Plains and Orchard, and you only control Islands and Orchard, our Orchards can produce W or U, but not B or R or G.

>>51341096
Correct on both counts. Those are your triggers, so you place them on the stack as you like.
>>
>>51341180
The same is true for command tower and reflecting pool, correct? Only the colors of the commander can be produced so reflecting pool can only produce those colors, assuming they are the only lands out
>>
>>51341180
Just what I'd hoped to hear! Much appreciated.
>>
>>51341233
Right. Reflecting Pool asks Command Tower "What colors of mana could you make if your ability resolved right now?" and gets back "White, Blue, or Green" (for a Bant commander, for instance). So that's what Reflecting Pool can make. It doesn't matter that in other circumstances a Command Tower COULD make black or red, because if we used that logic then Reflecting Pool would always make every color, because your lands -could- produce any color if you had certain cards out.
>>
Is words of waste considered a skipped draw?
>>
>>51341459
You're replacing your draw with something else, yes.

What do you mean, specifically, by "skipped draw"?
>>
>>51341515
I guess like if you activate it 5 times in a row and you draw only one card, only one effect will take place and the others will wait for the next one?
>>
>>51341623
Right. If you activate it 5 times, then you'll have 5 replacement effects waiting to replace your next draw with something else. Once you apply one of them, the other 4 no longer CAN apply, because there's no longer a card draw to replace, so they just wait for another draw effect that turn.
>>
Just wanting to make something clear, when the Legendary rule was updated awhile back, it was changed to allow both players to have the same Legendary on the field at once, but a singular player can only have 1 of said Legendary at a time, correct?

And, if that is correct, another question: Does playing a secondary of the same Legendary type (ie Plasewalker- Jace) blow eachother up, or am I allowed to choose which is sac'd and which to keep?
>>
>>51342135
Correct. The Legend Rule now only looks at each player's side of the board; you and I can both have a Heartless Hidetsugu on board, but if I play a second copy I have to choose one of my Hidetsugus to keep, and immediately put the rest into my graveyard. This is not a sacrifice- they just are put into the graveyard.

Also, Planeswalkers are not Legendary. Planeswalkers have their own rule called the Planeswalker Uniqueness Rule, and it looks at Planeswalker subtypes (like "jace") rather than full names. Same deal there beyond that- each player can have a Jace out, but as soon as I play a second Jace, I have to pick one to keep and put the rest in the graveyard.
>>
>>51342176
>they just are put into the graveyard
So that doesn't trigger "when * dies" abilities?
>>
>>51342257
It does, because 'dies' just means 'is put into the graveyard from the battlefield'.

If you played a second Kokusho, you'd get the "When Kokusho dies" trigger from the one you bin. If you played a second Savra, you would get zero Savra triggers.
>>
File: Sweep Away_OGW.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Sweep Away_OGW.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
Dear guy that answers in a legit non douchy way, can you cast sweep away or other similar instants or sorceries on token creatures? If so, what happens?

Sincerely, some guy that just started playing magic recently.
>>
>>51343171
Yes you can. The token is destroyed on both counts.
>>
>>51343171
because you asked like a dick, i'll answer like one

What does the card say?
>>
>>51343171
You can! If something's not supposed to be able to target a token, it'll say "target nontoken"; generally, cards do exactly what they say.

What would happen for Sweep Away would be that you would bounce the token to the owner's hand (or top of library, as appropriate), and it would summarily stop existing because tokens can only exist on the battlefield.

>>51343314
Not quite. It's not destroyed; it's put into the correct zone, and then it stops existing.
>>
There is a mana taxer such as thalia or thorn of amethyst on the battlefield and i have deathrite shaman in play. I cascade into a non creature spell. Can i activate deathrite shaman to pay for its cost?
>>
>>51343724
You can't. You'd need to use Shaman before the Cascade trigger begins to resolves; since Shaman's ability is not a mana ability, you won't have the chance to activate it during the process of casting the spell.
>>
>>51343748
so during the process of casting a spell, players cannot activate non mana abilities or attempt to put another spell on the stack?
>>
>>51343314
>>51343320
>>51343655
Thanks for the answers fellas!
>>
>>51343795
Not during the process, no. You need priority to activate most activated abilities and to cast spells, and nobody has priority during the steps of casting a spell.

The game makes an exception for MANA abilities, at one point giving you permission to generate mana abilities immediately before having to pay for the spell. But that's ONLY for mana abilities, and DRS does not have one of those.
>>
>>51343855
so cascading is revealing cards until you can cast one and then put it on the stack and go through the motions of casting a spell until it is cast. during all of this time the process of cascading cant be responded to. you have to respond top the cascade trigger and if you pass prioirty after that its too late?

does cascading always put the spell on the stack and then you chose whether you cast it or do you choose whether you want to cast it and then put it on the stack.
>>
>>51343909
Right.

Cascade is "okay, I'm a triggered ability on the stack. Once I start resolving, we're gonna exile cards from the top of your library until we hit one with a CMC of N or lower; you'll be given the opportunity to cast that spell if you want. If you do, we'll put it on the stack and go through all the steps of casting it, except you don't have to pay the mana cost, and then we'll put the other exiled cards on the bottom of your library in a random order."

Once you begin the card-exiling, nobody has priority to respond until you're done resolving Cascade, meaning that you've hit whatever spell, and either cast it, or declined to cast it.
>>
>>51343959
Thank you.

While we are on mana abilities, is this a legal thing to do
I have a murderous redcap, anafenza, and ashnods altar. I can cast sudden shock, and retain priority sacrifing my redcap to altar, and trigger its persist and go through the motions to kill off my opponents. This is legal because i can activate ashnods because you can still activate mana abilities while a split second spell is on the stack but your opponents cant do diggly shit?
>>
File: renegaderallier.jpg (52KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
renegaderallier.jpg
52KB, 265x370px
Lands are on the battlefield just like all other permanents, they don't have their own land zone right?

My main question is: Does cracking a fetch land trigger revolt?
>>
>>51344440
Lands are permanents when on the battlefields, so yes
Evolving wilds does as well, and also tokens like clues
>>
>>51339136
But what if someone plays an activated ability and i play dissalow?
>>
>>51344062
More or less. Split Second stops non-mana activated abilities and spells, but not mana abilities or triggers. You can cast Sudden Shock and hold priority to feed Murdkip to the Altar, and it'll come back, repeat, repeat, repeat, without your opponent being able to respond.

>>51344440
Yes and yes.

>>51345205
I'm not sure what you're asking; can you clarify?
>>
If you have a copied token of Panglacial Wurm that has Song of the Dryads on it and Primal Command with bounce + search modes is cast on it, can you cast the token from your deck?
>>
When greenbelt rampager enters the battlefield and I only have 1 energy, do I have to pay the one energy and then return it to my hand or do I not pay it. i guess the question is is it a cost?
>>
>>51345599
You can't pay, so you don't pay.
>>
>>51345557
A token that's left the battlefield can't move to another zone, so you can't cast your token Wurm (because you can't take the step of 'announce it and move it to the stack).

>>51345599
It is a cost. IF you can't fully pay for it (which you can't), then you just bounce it.
>>
If I have a winding constrictor, if something enters the battlefield with counters on it, it gets those additionally, right?
>>
>>51346053
Yep! Counters are 'placed' either by an effect saying to put counters on something already existing (like Increasing Savagery), or by a replacement effect saying "by the way, I enter with counters".
Thread posts: 262
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.