[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had this laying around, anybody else knows anything about it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170117_1652005.jpg (1MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170117_1652005.jpg
1MB, 4896x3672px
Had this laying around, anybody else knows anything about it?
>>
>>51263150
It failed and is discontinue. Why? Because it turns out nobody wants to play some videogame/tabletop game hybrid that is not good at either. Who would have thought?

Seriously, how many times do people need to learn that the 2 media do not mix well. AR tabletop games is not the future.
>>
>>51263593
It's been tried twice, tabletop makers learned faster than VR game designers who still think it has a big future.
>>
>>51263150
The technology just isn't there yet/nobody has thought of a way to do it correctly. It'll keep getting tried till somebody gets it right during the appropriate timing window.
>>
>>51263150
I-I like it, though i wish victory conditions were more flexible.

I bought the base set and the base Zikia and Urugal armies for <50 bucks and my play group has a pretty solid time playing. Everyone who tried it liked the pen integration very much.

Replayability is limited by your ability to customize scenarios and armies. Actual combat can get a little shallow since the app handles all the math.

I still think it's a gem. An unpolished, discarded one, but a cute one nonetheless.
>>
>>51264061
it also might have helped if it wasn't creepy and weird. For new technology to be adopted by the mainstream, it must be mainstream content.
>>
>>51263859
AR and VR work for video games. That's it. These many attempts (and there have been more than just 2, they just never got as popular) just go to show that AR and VR does not belong on our tabletop.

The problem was golem arcana, as well as others of its ilk, take away so much from the table, that really only the minis remain, in which case as you play, you wonder why you aren't just playing a video game.
>>
>>51265616
Yeah. They were a little wierd, but I LOVED the golem aesthetics though.

I think, as a fresh adopter looking at it's history, ultimately it attempted to be too ambitious and pushed too much plastic for something that was inherently difficult to market.

OP, if you can source the Zikia and Urugal base sets (The Khan's Pyre expansions for those two factions), the game REALLY opens up. 4 ways are super sweet. You can play Last Man Standing Style or First to X Points. You can even tell Player 1 that he needs to kill X units and Player 2 that HE needs to occupy a capture point for X turns.
>>
I bought heavily into Golem Arcana, and quite enjoyed the base game. I liked the lore, the golem designs, all of that.

The problem was the app and the stylus. The app was clunky and frustrating, the stylus was too large and annoying to lose. That, combined with not working on a lot of devices, severely limited their market.

I still like the miniatures as display pieces, and I don't think this is the end for AR tabletops. It was just too damn early to make it really work.
>>
I'm just sad the Zikia never got their own Colossus. Their golems were my favourite.
>>
File: Golem Arcana Colossus Durani.jpg (313KB, 1027x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Golem Arcana Colossus Durani.jpg
313KB, 1027x1500px
>>51266918
Holy butts, you're right, I mistook this bloke for the Zikia colossus.

I guess I'll just focus on getting the Durani and Gudanna ones then, it feels too asymmetric for my OCD to just get the Zikia colossus.
>>
>>51266996

Even the Urugal got their own, just not the damn Zikia. the best golems didn't get their own huge motherfucker, it's depressing.

I keep wondering about going back and trying to collect the ones I missed, just to have the complete set, but I'm not sure when to try. Whether the prices are going to drop in the near future or if it's only going to get harder.
>>
>>51266824
>Problem was the stylus

Wait, really? I know tapping the base of the units was a total pain in the ass but tapping the cards was pretty easy for most of us.
>>
>>51266824
Pretty much this would have been a much much better game if it was just a traditional wargame, and not have that electronic bullshit crammed in.
>>
>>51267050

Maybe my stylus was just buggy. It had a really hard time reading the symbols, was slow to load and just kinda clumsy in general.
>>
>>51267069

It would have been a different game. It would probably have had a greater chance of success given that it wasn't trying anything new or taking many risks, but I still respect Golem Arcana for trying, and I still think that eventually a future game will nail it.

True augmented reality, in the form of glasses or some such, will be the tipping point, I think. When convenient, user friendly AR becomes commercially viable, it'll seem strange not to use AR while playing tabletops.
>>
>>51267046
I feel the same way... I have all the Khan's Pyre Golems for each faction but there are several more expansions for each army and I don't know if I wanna expand the collection. There's a chance prices might rise if enough people feel they are collectible as figures. Hard to predict right now.

I might get the Map Tileset 2 and see if more people wanna play or if I can dredge a campaign with custom, off-app win conditions like "Players A B C vs D E and F, first side to have a single player completely knocked out loses" or such.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.