[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Historical games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: 1806069_original.jpg (4MB, 2176x2771px) Image search: [Google]
1806069_original.jpg
4MB, 2176x2771px
Are you interested in historical games?
Were you able to play/run one?
What was your experience with them?
Any tips on organizing/running a historical game?
>>
Shameless bump.
>>
We had a good deal of fun doing one, which overtime increased in complexity to the point of influencing further games after the initial one we did.

It started out as sort of a voyaging game for eastward exploration and trade, but turned into a Mongol conquest game, when one player made a NotMongol and turned into NotGhengis. Her actions had such an impact that as said, subsequent games in the setting were based around her exploits.
>>
File: 30973_original.jpg (590KB, 1280x996px)
30973_original.jpg
590KB, 1280x996px
>>51257407
Well, that's a pretty sudden transition. Can you write more about this campaign?
>>
>>51257621
Sure, what are you interested in?

Basically it made a transition from more typical "adventuring" to a King(Khan)making game with the Mongol character. We had fun going through her struggles so the game became more devoted to that, as she carved out a chunk of the world and we tagged along as help.

That was also sort of the transition point where it became historic, rather than "realistic'.
>>
>>51255459

I've always wanted to play an ancient Rome campaign, where everyone is a Roman senator during the civil wars Caesar started. It would have intrigue, war, and adventure.

But the biggest tip on a historical game is historical accuracy. There are many books out there on how older people lived and their thoughts on things. I'd say get a good baseline, but don't feel constricted to historical events. I LOVE history, and want to write historical fiction, but the research is just so much that you might as well make something original that's inspired by older civilizations.

If I were to run a historical game I'd provide a baseline knowledge all characters know, then alter it from there based on what the players do.
>>
File: 1456714811785.jpg (1MB, 2952x2082px)
1456714811785.jpg
1MB, 2952x2082px
>>51257761
I'd like to hear how she became a Khan and started her conquest.

>>51257842
Same here. Last time I almost convinced my party to play campaign set during reign of Tiberius, but majority of people were afraid of historical setting. I hope to run it eventually.
>>
>>51258011
After the betrayal and death of her father, she plotted revenge along with her brothers and uncles. They did quite well together but when the chance for a new Khan arose, she learned her older brother was planning on just marrying her off so she issued a challege to duel him for right to her freedom from that option. As an insult witnessed by their uncles and others, he accepted as a formality, but she actually killed him because despite the physical shortcomings she was a good mounted archer and went in with the intention to kill. A great shock all around but after that she became Khanum in name, though with clever planning and help she actually managed to wrest the power, and gained proper respect and support when she turned sights outwards to conquering. Initially the goal was to conquer some just for stability and loyalty to her position, so that she could just marry some guy for him to be Khan and things would go back to normal. In doing so though, she/we found that conquering actually worked well and could become the goal itself rather than the means. And the rest is as they say, history.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.