[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting back to RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: zakkwylde.jpg (32KB, 380x575px) Image search: [Google]
zakkwylde.jpg
32KB, 380x575px
Hello tg,

Last year I had a great gaming group, we had sessions once per week, a coherent campaign, a GM willing to adapt to whatever shit we derailed him with, and I played with my very best friends.
However the problem is that the couple of friends (DM/DMgf) that hosted our games are gone overseas for the time being, and the two guys left with me are mildly interested in playing some more.
I tried DMing for them and another dude, but we dropped shortly after, because I'm a fucking shitty DM and couldn't get them interested (and also because one if my friends is on his "big" uni year so I don't see much of him lately)

Can /tg/ give me leads on how to get playing again ?
So far I've tried
-GMing but I'm terribad
-Playing with friends of friends, but the setting wasn't one I liked (hyper history-accurate Cthulhu, yaay.)
-Playing with this guy we call "cheese man" (he basically smothered a whole amphitheater of students by removing his shoes) because even though he's socially retarded, his scenarios are dope as long as you let him railroad. The problem tho is the railroad, and also the fact that it's only oneshots

So far all I see (as my city aint that big) as far as the options I have left are:
-Stalking around and dropping contact infos in the town's 2 FLGS (tho one is tabletop with miniatures only but who knows), but I fear ppl will want me to DM, which I can’t
-The uni's "RPG Club", but thats where the hyperrealistic Cthulhu guys came from and also most dudes are socially retarded engineering students wearing fedoras
-The camarilla, which is everything I don't like and cheese-man is in it and also these people are creepy af
-Online roleplay platforms ? Though I don't know any, really

So, in your opinions /tg/, what's my best option ?
I like either sci-fi ala 40k or heroic fantasy and my principal enjoyment comes from creating odd characters and trying to have them accomplish their side goal by getting the party to do it with/for them.

Thanks for reading !
>>
>>51247199
Talk to your players. Tell them what you told us.

Keep trying? No one is great at anything the first couple of times, some people may be naturally talented, or able to cross-apply other skills, but you can get better with practice.

Tell your friends you want to get better, that you're open to criticism as long as its constructive, and it may take some time, but you'll get better with their help.

Ask lots of questions as to what they want to do, especially at campaign creation, setting the dials to maximise buy in. Play something collaborative and maybe cycle through a couple oneshots and have every player run at least once so they know what its like in the hotseat.

Make the stories about their characters rather than placing them interchangeably into stuff.

Focus on reading the room and don't be afraid to go off book and improvise. If the room is dead, you're only going to make matters worse by beating the dead horse and running the rails. Shake things up, once everyone is back in the game lead them back into the story or follow where the new path leads.

If you're struggling for ideas, or even if you're not, don't be afraid to enlist your player's input, turn their questions back on them and use their answers.
>>
We have Game Finder threads pretty regularly.

Lurk until you see one of those.
>>
>>51247199
Where are you from? (Country) I can give you a few good contacts for online groups if you're from europe.
>>
>>51247199
Roll20 randoms and gamefinder thread here on /tg/ are probably your best bet. You might run into some weirdos but I have had a good time with them so far.
>>
>>51249152
I'd like to, but my problem comes from exactly this. They do not know what they want. One friend made a kind of dragonkin and plays it like "I don't care about the group so I'll just follow" and ONLY takes the frontal tactics whatever happens (they had to escape a ship, no weapons nor anything, they encounter the BBEG on it, busy doing some OP magic (magic being normally hyper rare and weak), he decided to charge in because lolrandom) and also won't take any decision, while my other friend is the ''i'm fine with everything I'll just follow" type. They just follow the plot, dodging all hooks and generally not being interested in whatever happens around them...
>>51251724
I'm from France (Grenoble)
>>51251890
What is roll20 ?
>>
>>51256111
Roll20 . net
Find a group to play online
>>
>>51256111
Roll 20 is a bit like Skype for gamers. You can use cams, text, roll dice, display maps etcetera. It's a good option if you can't find a game that you like in your hometown
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.