[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grim, dark, dungeon-crawling systems. Morale system. Traps that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Grim, dark, dungeon-crawling systems. Morale system. Traps that cut off your legs, not simply deal 1d6 damage.

What does /tg/ use? I've had a lot of OSR systems (like LotFP) recommended to me, but they never quite felt appropriate. What's recommended?
>>
>>51236707
OSR systems are pretty much that. I have only played a few, however; if you like to branch out a bit (not too much) DCC has some interesting and lethal stuff in it. There are so called "funnel adventures" that are literal meatgrinders for level 0 characters to rise up and earn their first levels (it sounds silly, and it sort of is, but that's old school for you).

I don't want to recommend stuff without knowing what your preferences are, so what is it that you are missing from OSR?
>>
>>51236707
Torchbearer is actively unpleasant to play, because of how hard it pushes 'being in dungeons is awful'. Play that, unless it's too hard for you.
>>
>>51236831
Hm.

Race-classes. Armor Class as a mechanic. Fighter-Mage-Thief-Cleric treated practically as sacred cows.

Where's my system where the starting classes/race-classes are Water Elemental, Druid, Ogre Rider, Golem and Shapeshifter?

But that's for another day.

Honestly, ORE seems to mostly suit what I'm going for, but I've only read Nemesis. LotFP and ACKS look great for their style of fantasy, but I wouldn't know where to start adapting them for a setting without typical arcane/divine magic limits..
>>
>>51236707
Runquest 6 / Mythras.
>>
File: 1477507501978.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1477507501978.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51236937
Maybe... Shadow of the Demon Lord? I think that is one of the mroe modern dungeon-crawley games. You could also always just one of the fantasy PbtA games (Dungeon World is the most popular, but I heard there are other ones that don't use HP as a mechanic), since there a trap can be as brutal as you want it.

>Race-classes. Armor Class as a mechanic. Fighter-Mage-Thief-Cleric treated practically as sacred cows.
>Where's my system where the starting classes/race-classes are Water Elemental, Druid, Ogre Rider, Golem and Shapeshifter?

Actually, I may have another game for you...
>>
One system worth looking at is called 'The GLOG.' It's from the OSR writer that does the Goblin Punch blog and it's basically designed for his Centerra setting (iirc).

Very simple, like a more-simple Basic D&D. The two most interesting elements are...

>Class differentiation.
Rangers track their best kill. Fighters track their kill count. Thieves track their best loot. Each class is meant with a different gimmick. Some weird classes are on the blog as well, like 'sapient gas cloud trapped in a balloon' and 'lobotomised void monk.'

>Varying Encounters
All the provided encounter tables on the blog have a good amount of variety. 2d6 orcs with 2d6 HP each? Well, every orc with 12 HP is a 'berserker champion' and anything with <5 is a 'shaman' who can cast inflict wounds. There's usually a variety of potential motivations in the tables as well.
>>
File: Zweihander_PromoPoster_small.jpg (287KB, 1249x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Zweihander_PromoPoster_small.jpg
287KB, 1249x1600px
>>51236707
Zweihander would be my recommendation. It's a spiritual successor to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st and 2nd ed. All the rules you would need for a Darkest Dungeon style game: wounds, fatigue, sanity, nasty diseases are all there.
>>
>>51237504
Bruh, this right here. The death and dismemberment table is the best part of the system where its easy to leave the fight but generally hard to instantly die.
>>
>>51236707
b/x or od&d lbb, with unknown armies' madness meters and a willingness to accept that most people will not want to go into a death-hole twice.
>>
>>51239761
But thou must...
>>
>>51239805
It makes me sad that most people on 4chan probably haven't played Dragon Warrior.
>>
>>51239840
Dost thou love me, Anon?
>>
>>51239840
Most people on 4chan haven't played, seen, heard or read anything in particular you could mention.

The iOS ports of the DQ series are pretty good fun.
>>
I would honestly recommend GURPS. Not necessarily because of the gritty as fuck rules, but also because it gives you the freedom that you seem to want with having a symmetrical party made up of some crazy things, and is conductive to OSR type play but with far better mechanics.
>>
File: sad puppers.jpg (154KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
sad puppers.jpg
154KB, 1920x1440px
>Wayne June will never narrate your games
>>
>>51236707
Torchbearer.
>>
>>51237930
Hopefully it doesn't use the rules from WFRP 1e or 2E as that was the weakest part of those games.
>>
>>51238907

I just gave it a look, can it be used with normal D&D 5ed?
>>
>>51241281
It uses a similar percentile based task resolution system but one that is in my opinion, far better. For one, it addresses one of the main complaints with the Warhammer RPGs: the low chance of success on most rolls. In Zweihander, you aren't going to be rolling against your raw stat unless you are making an unskilled roll. Weapon attacks are governed by the same rules as any other skill.

Also, the hit point wounds system has been replaced by a would level system more like Deadlands with each level of wounding affecting your stats more, and granting an escalating chance to cause "injuries" that prevent the character from healing until they are treated.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.