[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you become a monster hunter in a game that starts the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

How do you become a monster hunter in a game that starts the entire party off as level 1 default scrubs? I imagine that it's pretty hard to do much research on monsters and get practical experience against them in while still trying to follow along with party and script.

And how does a monster hunter translate into settings without fantasy creatures? Just a big-game hunter?
>>
>>51236423
Roleplay an enthusiastic young character, who has a genuine appreciation for the shifting life of an adventurer.
This first few times the party has a really rough battle, try to RP your char. balancing fear with excitement, and incredible adrenaline-pumping rush of after-combat.
Eventually, have him/her throw out crooked smiles and a hungry attitude when violence, or a really big foe seems to be drawing close.

And level him in a way that mechanically makes sense for someone who is fighting big monsters all the time.
>>
You've encountered packs of [CREATURE] around your [HOMETOWN] and read a ton on them. Take knowledge skills to represent this.

If the GM approves, they'll let you monster-hunt with the party, or take on jobs between sessions. That's my personal suggestion, anyway.

Roll out a mini-combat against a target. Play it like this...

> Knowledge OR Survival checks to track or deduce their location.
> Stealth OR Crafting checks to sneak up or make a trap.
> Attack, assume enemy is surprised and taking a hit from their weakness.

If the tracking fails, you don't find them. If stealth/trap fails, you don't get a free crit (and it's assumed you get injured). If the attack fails, you need to make a second attack (and receive an injury) or escape (dex save to avoid injury?)

Should only need 3-5 rolls to resolve it, and you can do it in like 30 seconds.
>>
>>51236423
Considering that most African wildlife were considered monsters by Victorian Era brits, I would make the assumption that a monster is a scary animal you can hunt and then mount in your drawing room
>>
>>51236491
And the spaniards thought that a rubber ball was possesed by satan

People were kind of dumb
>>
>>51236423
A. By making them students or apprentices of a monster hunter

B. By making them commoners who somehow survive a monster attack, begining their path in the field. I like this one because it lets you switch shit up. Campaign starts out almost slice of life then a werewolf murders everyone they love. Can even draw it out for several sessions, making it a murder mystery until only the PCs are left and it's become a slasher flick, but Vincent Price shows up to help them
>>
>>51236450
That sounds like fun. What options for explaining why my character doesn't "get off" while fighting human enemies, like bandits or soldiers, do I have?
>I don't like hurting people if I can help it
>I hate Monsters, because they killed person X / destroyed Village Y

Any others? And how severe should this profession affect my combat skills against humans? (I imagine that a monster hunter wouldn't be the best at man vs man combat, especially against trained fighting stances or martial arts).

>>51236481
The GM's scripts move along at a very fast pace (which we asked him to do on purpose) so there isn't too much time for faffing about in a session, but something like quick-hunts seems like a decent idea.

I will propose those, maybe I can even work something out with him (like an extra table to roll on just for off-screen hunts).

>>51236491
Okay, I thought so. Figured I could throw that question in for future use.

>>51236618
Oh wow, that sounds like an amazing prologue actually.
>>
>>51236687

I'd say ask for something like a bonus/proficiency in traps, nets, nooses, snares, mancatchers, etc. Maybe at a cost of losing defensive (eg. AC) bonuses against humanoids?
>>
File: Steroid Zinogre.jpg (497KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Steroid Zinogre.jpg
497KB, 850x1202px
What kind of monsters are we talking about here ?
We talking oversized animals, goblins and dragons or are we talking pic related type ?
If we're talking the previous, you could just make it so your character acts awfully interested in the monsters you kill along the quest, like someone who can't stop looking at a roadkill or something. It's subtle and in character, so the other players won't mind.
>>
>>51236687
>I imagine that a monster hunter wouldn't be the best at man vs man combat
But anon, man is the true monster.

I dunno. I suppose a lot of backgrounds could explain it.
>You are on a journey to prove yourself within your order of monster-hunters.
>It is a family tradition in your noble family. The men have hunted monsters for generations.
>Monsters stole all your candy as a kid.
>You love big exotic beasts, but in the practical way of game-wardens, etc. You'll always go for a non-lethal solution if one is practical, but you accept that human life must come first.
>>
>>51236423
Just focus on learning as much about what the party fights as he can. He can be a self-taught monster hunter, with some trusty companions to help defeat greater foes.
>>
File: CWi0Atg.jpg (2MB, 3413x1440px) Image search: [Google]
CWi0Atg.jpg
2MB, 3413x1440px
>>51236725
The game we're playing is homemade and written by the DM himself, so changing things like modifiers isn't a problem.

However, the game uses general "combat skills" (one for melee, one for magic, one for ranged) that we need to roll in order to successfully hit a target. Limiting myself to a low stat, would affect my rolls against monsters too.

So as far as I can see, we could
>give me a specific penalty-perk for rolls against people (clunky, but gets the job done)
>give me low combat skills, but give me a perk that grants a bonus to hit-rolls against monsters (maybe making it scale? It would be it's own stat basically)
>leave the combat skills itself alone and give me a penalty-perk for human fighting specific activities, like parrying or blocking.

>>51236790
Our rulebook covers that everything that isn't a human (or human-like race), is a monster for all intents and purposes (magical beings like undead and ghosts are common enough to the common man and so are steam-powered automatons and elementals)

I like your suggested style of role playing it.

>>51236794
The cynical part about humans being monsters would be fun to explore in future adventures, especially if the plot somehow involves human politics. However, it probably wouldn't affect the skillset of the character.

I like those backgrounds a lot too.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.