[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Gish Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 359
Thread images: 24

File: hero-mesmer.jpg (108KB, 610x360px) Image search: [Google]
hero-mesmer.jpg
108KB, 610x360px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51200508

So many Gishes in 5e. Which is the best, and why is it Paladin? Seriously, why is the Paladin so damn good this edition? I haven't had a chance to play one, but everyone seems to love it.
>>
>>51210208
Is combat in 5e a legitimate issue and downfall of the system? Or is it just exaggeration?
>>
>>51210208
Four gishes (two of whom only have gish as an option) is a lot? There are twelve classes total, six of whom are full casters and four of whom are full martials (though two have gish options).
>>
>>51210208
Any tips on making a brawler / grappler

Going rogue 1 for expertise, most likely on level 2.
Anything else I need to do? How do I do this best.
>>
>>51210251
Nope. Not legitimate. Not exaggeration either.

DnD is 90% combat, so you're basically asking "is the entire system worthless". Answer: Nope. It's a great system. I've literally never met anyone who doesn't like it.
>>
>>51210291
Two levels of rogue for the cunning action.
Then full out bard.
>>
Anyone have a link to that Wot4E Monk re balance homebrew
>>
>>51210321
For what dash?

Why would bard be better than a raging muscle monster?
>except for Enlarge maybe if fighting huge enemies.
>>
File: shield_PNG1276.png (5MB, 3328x3750px) Image search: [Google]
shield_PNG1276.png
5MB, 3328x3750px
>>51210127
I don't get what you're saying here. The point i'm making is that a fighter's big stonking shield and a rogues buckler shouldn't be the same thing mechanically even if the latter is considered a shield
>>
>>51210208
How would you manage playing a Mesmer in 5e I wonder. I probably Bard and something, or Illusionist Wizard most likely. GW1 had a lot of Debuffs/Buffs though so I don't know you could do it with the Concentration limit.
>>
Would a Zealot Barb of Pelor be a thing or would pelor be like "nah fuck you"?

I want to make a Crusader-themed Zealot, and there's already an existing highly nationalistic Theocracy worshipping Pelor based off the Vatican so it'd fit as far as setting background goes, but I'm not sure if a Pelor devout going full RIP AND TEAR would be approved of by his god.
>>
>>51210292
There's been a bunch of others in other threads shitting on the combat in 5e. But dunno if it's because of their contempt of the system clouding their judgement or a legitimate issue.

What's great about it in your eyes and in other's eyes?
>>
>>51210273
If we're talking melee spellcasters, i.e. characters that have melee combat class features and can benefit from their own spells in the same turn in some capacity then (in approximate order of excellence), we've got:

Paladin
Eldritch Knight Fighter (poor caster, good melee fighter)
War Cleric (excellent caster, not very melee)
Ranger
Valor Bard
Blade Warlock
Arcane Trickster Rogue (rogues aren't really that good at melee, but it's there)

I might have missed something.
>>
>>51210378
Bard College of Glamour
>>
>>51210410
Bladesinger
>>
>>51210364
No, you go two rogue for cunning action and expertise.
>>
>>51210367
Especially when the Spear and Trident have different stats...
Or... At least different classes and weight.
>>
>>51210473
Bladesinger is still a full caster first and foremost.
>>
>>51210486
But cunning action only allows hide, disengage, and dash.

So you'd be taking a 2nd level for dash or maybe disengage?
>>
>>51209555
Nowhere, but it's common sense.

Try asking your DM if you're allowed to do it. They'll refuse to let you, or they'll hvae you suffer exhaustion or make willpower type saves to keep doing it.
>>
>>51210511
Athletics expertise is fucking bonkers m8. Cunning action is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>51210513
what why?

I want to make the attack action every turn
>well you need to suffer exhaustion
>or take willpower save
>>
>>51210291
5 levels of barbarian, rest in rogue.

Go dexterity for super AC, extra initiative and all that.
Go strength for better grapples and rage damage. Consider not wearing a shield so you can grapple with one hand and use the rapier with the other.
>>
Me and my friends are new to DnD and were wondering how specific we can get with combat. For example if a player wanted to cut off the hand of a monster, would he have to do an attack roll against the monster's AC and would the monster have to do a saving throw to not get it's hand cut off? Or should the DM not allow actions like that at all?
>>
>>51210534
Yeah but its the only difference between rogue 1 and rogue 2.

Rogue 1 was already stated as being part of the plan
>>
>>51210537
Read the original post properly.

>every turn of your life
If you say 'I want to cast blade ward every six seconds while doing ANYTHING every day' your DM will call bullshit.

This isn't 'I want to do it ten times during combat'

This is 'I want to do it 10800 times every day'.
>>
>>51210405
5e combat is rocket tag at low levels.
At high levels with casters, it remains so, but only in the early nova rounds.
By 5th level combat normalises unless there are full casters about.
In general, the combat is faster than 4e, but, using only the written rules and not fluctuations based on individual DMs, there is very little tactical thought to the matter.
If you want simplistic combat where the only thing that really matters is getting HP down as fast as possible, it's great.
If you wanted anything more interesting, then it is pretty much entirely DM Fiat.
Also, the speed of combat (see rocket tag comment earlier) makes any tactical concerns moot anyway as most fights are over in 3 rounds.
Exception being fights where the party does not have magical weapons and the enemy resists non magical damage. Earth Elemental will be a long boring slobber knocker unless everyone deals magic damage...
>>
>>51210537
>>51210513
I think they are referring to out of combat.

Like when you're chilling in the tavern and get backstabbed by an assassin, you can't say "B-but my character has been prepared to dodge for the last four hours and does it EVERY turn for his action during downtime."

Just like you can't say every six seconds for the rest of your life, you swing your sword behind you JUST in the event of an invisible attacker.

Or can't cast Blade-Ward once every 6 seconds of your life for your entire life.

In combat through, this is fine.
>>
>>51210378
Arcane Trickster could be sort of close

>>51210504
Yeah, Bladesinger is like War Cleric: It's got a bit of melee, but it's only really Cantrip-level power; casting a spell will almost always be your best option, but you can't do that every round so you have melee to fall back on.

>>51210405
Here's a few things I like about the combat in 5e.

*The classes are pretty balanced. There are still good classes and bad classes, but it's not as bad as some other RPGs. The Fighter is useful, and the Wizard can cast spells that solve problems. Concentration is a very good mechanic.

*They got the numbers right. Enemy AC and HP aren't too high, you can't stack modifiers until you break the game and get bored.

*It's easy to run. Lots to make GMs happy about the way that monsters are run and tracked. No ridiculous stat blocks a la 3e, no laundry list of status effects a la 4e. YouTube might have helped make this edition more popular, but there had to be something for GMs to stick around for after they got stuck in.

People who don't like 5e can find evidence to back up their opinion, but that's true of literally everything. It's a system with a lot to like, if you enjoy liking things.
>>
>>51210545
Generally no, but you might allow them to do that if they score a crit (if your DM is the type to run crit successes and failures) or they might allow you to do it if it brings them to 0 or they might allow you to do it if you grapple them and pin them and then attack. They might also allow it on a very weak monster.

It's possible they could come up with rules, but you have to be careful of people saying 'I attack the neck for an instant kill'.
>>
>>51210513
>>51210537
a common sense for a neckbeard who never exercise once in their life, maybe? They probably never see a boxing match.
>>
>>51210542
Go strength, take Tavern Brawler, Shield-bash people and have an open hand to grapple.
>>
>>51210646
The problem with that is you can't sneak attack with that, and the barbarian-rogue sort of set-up kinda focuses on rogue features for more damage through sneak attacks, uncanny dodge and all that.

Though if you want to go some sort of PAM GWM fighter/barbarian sort of a thing you might decide just one level of rogue.
>>
>>51210632
The guy isn't talking about a boxer bobbing and weaving dodging constantly while in the ring, they are talking about the boxer bobbing and weaving while sitting on the bus.

Or reading a book.

Or shitting on the toilet.

Or cooking his dinner.

Or spooning his girlfriend watching a movie.

All so he can go "What the fuck don't be a jew, you've got disadvantage to hit me with that attack you twat mugger!"
>>
File: doogs.jpg (39KB, 476x319px) Image search: [Google]
doogs.jpg
39KB, 476x319px
>>51210632
Sure. Go try and convince your DM to let you dodge all the time and have enemies always have disadvantage to attack you on the first round of combat before your turn, if they're not unseen attackers, and advantage on dex saves.
See if he calls bullshit on you.

Don't forget you don't only need incredible stamina, but also incredible willpower and the will to look like an absolute baffoon all day long and any assassin will probably attack you when you can't dodge on the loo or something.
>>
>>51210410
A sorcerer with haste and quicken -> 2 attacks plus one greenflame blade as a bonus action. And can do it one time per level daily.

If you get favored soul is 3 attacks + cantrip per round.

Arcane triskter rogue can do:
3d8+6d6+5 at lvl 11 with boominb blade, 3d8 is the targuet move.
So if you move booming and dash you get one guy out of combat one round and do 40.5 dmg if its moves you do 52 dmg.
>>
>>51210767
First one can do one attack + Greenflame + Greenflame actually.
>>
>>51210676
Do you reckon dual shortswords would be a good choice of weapon for the barbarian rogue? I feel like the boost to strength based attacks would work well with extra attacks.
>>
File: Goku_dodging.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Goku_dodging.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>51210617
Ok cool, cause I was gonna say if taking back to back dodge actions in combat is breaking the rules then I've been breaking the rules a whole lot recently. Spirit guardians + spirit weapon + constant dodge is my jam.
>>
>>51210767
>>51210802

Is Booming Blade even on the Sorcerer spell list? Not all Wizard spells are also Sorcerer spells.
>>
>>51210812
The lack of TWF style hurts dual-wielding and you have better things to do with your bonus action.
>>
>>51210846
Cunning Action?
>>
>>51210545
Short answer is dm should not allow

Long answer goes into a discussion about what HP really means etc. mobile and laziness here so I'll give you the brief and what I do as a dm which isn't universal

Basically that sort of shit is an attempt to bypass the hp system which, while not perfect (really just serviceable) informs your health more than a singular strike can.

(How I run it/the right way to run it is) all attacks represent attempted lethal blows or some series of back and forth with your opponent that ends in an attempted lethal blow. AC and HP combine to determine how often your opponent can avoid danger and by how much. Significant body harm never happens above 0 hp, they still have the "will to survive" or what have you until then. This brings the realism of the fact that anyone who gets their arm chopped off in real life is going to be bleeding on the ground dying not continuing to fight with "just a flesh wound" or whatever. "I aim for the head/arm/foot/etc" is a fine first step into flavoring Completely Regular Attack Rolls.
>>
>>51210837
yeah, warlock wizard and sorcerer.
>>
>>51210837
Yes. The blades are wiz war sorc
>>
File: Camping in Darkest Dungeon.png (554KB, 822x516px) Image search: [Google]
Camping in Darkest Dungeon.png
554KB, 822x516px
How strictly do you follow travelling/adventuring/dungeoneering rules?

My mates and I are pretty casual and only got into this recently and we're really enjoying it. We tend to skip all the encounter rate/travel time/camping stuff since we're still getting the basic game down right, but I was wondering how loosely grizzled veterans handle it.

I recently tried Darkest Dungeon and was thinking of doing something that relied on that stuff pretty heavily, so tips would be cool.
>>
>>51210812
Dual shortswords are good for a level 1-4 barbarian, actually.

Rapier + Shield - A bit hard to grapple since your only easily grappling hand is the rapier one, and then you can't sneak attack. GIves you godly defences, though. Don't forget, you get two attacks, so you don't necessarily need a bonus attack in order to reliably sneak.
Two Shortswords - You can easily drop a shortsword in order to have a free hand to grapple with. If you only have one shortsword, it's only -1 damage compared to the rapier per round. Bonus action attacks have rage damage if you're using strength but it's a shame to use bonus actions if you don't have better things to do with them.

..Yeah, I'm thinking dual shortswords is better than I imagined before. I always decided rapier+shield but I forgot how hard it is to grapple with that.
>>
>>51210903
This.

Until you hit 0hp, you are basically at worst lightly scratched. Falling to 0hp represents any serious hit whatsoever.
>>
>>51210951
>>51210812
Whoops, it's actually roughly -2.1 damage per round, not -1.

Still, what I would do is have a rapier and sheld for combats you don't plan to grapple in or if you don't care about your defenecs and two shortswords otherwise.
>>
>>51210903
To build on what this Anon said, if you note you aim for a specific location, and then reduce the enemy to 0 HP, there is an excellent opportunity for severing, maiming, ect...
Personally, in my games, I let the player that dropped the target below 0 HP describe how they did so. Decapitation? Tipped both arms off? Pulled a blow right before it sliced the target's throat and they fainted? Sure, why not.
>>
>>51210545
Not really unless its a crit. D&D isn't really about realistic, simulationist combat. HP is a combination of all sorts of things and by bringing specific injuries into the mix you make the heroic fantasy of D&D into a more realistic affair that is not represented by the HP system as is.
>>
>>51211002
That's why I'm running http://theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/
Being fine after taking dragon's breath and a quick dip into lava but going down to a lucky kobold swing is just wrong imo.
>>
>>51210545
The short answer is that being really specific in combat is an awesome concept that's basically impossible to balance. Unless you specifically want to go off the rails with a weird homebrew where every tough fight is a matter of lopping each other's hands and/or heads off, you're probably better off just not allowing it.

Which is sad, but there really isn't a good alternative.
>>
GM-specific bullshit rulebending question time.

RAW, if you take a level or two in Wizard instead of Eldritch Knight your spellcasting doesn't improve, because of how the multiclassing rules work. (More slots, but the spells you can cast are tied to your individual class levels.) Would you let someone stack them if you were GMing and they were playing a multiclass EK? For example, a lv3 EK lv2 Wizard would be able to cast second level spells. You'd get third level spells at character level 7 instead of 13. (Lv13 is SO damn late for third level spells. It basically means "not in this campaign".)

Obviously, this is me looking at the Bladesinger and the multiclassing rules and getting frustrated with RAW. It might still be worth it sticking to RAW. I'm just wondering how many of /tg/'s GMs would say Yes to that request.
>>
File: 1449553921225.jpg (150KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449553921225.jpg
150KB, 960x720px
>>51211044
Fuck yes, somebody else is using it.

Still, personally, I'd do it like so:
>Once you hit 0 HP, any extra damage goes over to a pool of HP that is bigger than the one given by that article.=, but still smaller than normal HP
>You don't become 'despirited' but you roll 1d100+damage every time you take a hit instead and roll on an injuries table that may give nothing or might give something until a long rest or really bad rolls above 100 can be nasty.
>Actions such as cure wounds or attacking an enemy might have a small HP cost to represent overexerting and to discourage attacking while in a critical state, not so sure on this one.

Fuck the death saves system, fuck 'I heal you for 1' healers.
>>
>>51211150
Eh.
I'd say 'yes, if you reached level 5 on EK (it's not just a 3 level dip).'

Don't forget, you don't necessarily get more slots. If you're a level 4 EK and you take a level of wizard, you don't gain more slots until wizard level 2.
>>
>>51211150
>>51211208
Every time I encounter the spells known / prepared / slots / level systems I get a little bit angrier at how it all works
>>
>>51211170
>>51211044
Oh, and, something like not being able to use standard magical healing to restore non-fighting-spirit HP.
The idea is people are discouraged from fighting without spirit because they cannot easily regain their physical health and run a risk of injuries if they do so. This means while people have the option to fight on, running away or defending themself becomes much more of a priority.
>>
>>51211170
>>51211170
I've been using when you go down you gain one level of exhaustion and I think it works pretty well.
>>
>>51211208
>Don't forget, you don't necessarily get more slots. If you're a level 4 EK and you take a level of wizard, you don't gain more slots until wizard level 2.
Yep, I noticed that one too. Multiclassing rounds down fractional casting levels, while the classes themselves round up. Odd stuff, but I guess I'm OK with the end result of single class characters being good.
>>
>>51211170
>>51211236
I'm not changing that much. I'm doing fighting spirit because I want to represent heroic high fantasy as best as possible and FS represents that idea well. People don't just take nondescript damage in myths constantly while fighting anything, they block, parry, and dodge everything. The only time a mythological hero takes an actual wound beyond a scratch its fucking serious and specific.
>>
>>51211256
It's better than the standard system, but I still prefer that people can fight on after they reach 0 HP rather than become ragdolls. It gives them more to think about.

>>51211290
Of course, the table would have things like 'This doesn't apply if the weapon was not bludgeoning' or 'this doesn't apply if the weapon was not slashing' or that sort of thing, since theres supposed to only be a certain chance of injuries happening. There's nothing permanently deliberating until the really high numbers, and it's the player's fault at that point for facing danger in a critical state. They don't get sprung injuries out of nowhere.

I don't think FS is bad but I don't think it's entirely perfect. It has all the right ideas for what it's trying to fix, though. I think it's a brilliant way to introduce injuries and rather than saying a clause about attack and save disadvantages which can be circumvented by grappling, using non-attack spells, etc... It's simply, 'you make a small HP sacrifice to do that' or you don't just dodge every turn but only in the turns when you think you might be in danger.
>>
>>51211270
Personally I'd rather say that that doesn't happen and you continue spell progression as normal.
After all, it only affects half/third casters and their spell progression is considered in part of their levelling.
>>
What are some really fun class/archetypes to play? Really fun multiclasses? Starting Storm Kings Thunder at level 5. So far all I've played is the Mystic and 3 sessions as a Paladin (the game fell apart due to scheduling). I'm really looking for something that's going to be a lot of fun to play.
>>
Today I had my fighter leave the party to go back to his homeland who had waged war on the country I was currently in. I had done many tasks for this land and the party even had a growing reputation. Upon saying I was leaving, my character was taken and made a sleeper agent by the DM

Was it a /thatguy/ thing to pull a "BECAUSE MY CHARACTER WOULD XD" moment like this?
>>
>>51211044
People have been doing "Your first HD is meat points, the rest is abstract bullshit" for years. All this is, is changing the single HD to 1/3 total HP (which does make the math better, but its not a revolutionary concept). Even 4e had the Bloodied condition which would be decent if there was any true support for it.
>>
>>51211478
>my character was taken and made a sleeper agent by the DM
Now that's the kind of asspull I wouldn't put with.
>>
>>51211478
Fuck that shit. Your character is your character.
>>
>>51211478
Not really. It was the DM's choice to do that.
If he didn't like the possibility of you saying your character is gonna go home, he shouldn't have put forth such a situation where that's a high possibility.

If you had established that you hate your homeland then it makes no sense, but if you seem to love it, would make tons of sense to return to it rather than be in a place that might be hostile to you. Or rather, it makes sense to return when you as a citizen of another land, might be seen as helping the enemy by being in their land and helping their citizens.
>>
>>51211516
I could have worded that better. I was given a day in game to make a decision (and what a tough one it was), and I made it to council of the strongest mages of each school of magic, who my team was aiding. The enchanter then met me after a meeting, wiped my memories, and made me a sleeper agent for their side. No one in the party was happy about this
>>
>>51211457
Rogue Swashbuckler is always a fun choice.
>>
Guys I have a question in regard to the Way of the Kensei from the UA

Can a shortsword be consider a kensei weapon? or does the 3 martial weapon only consider to be kensei weapon
>>
Making a Tempest Aasimar for our new game.

Any tips what kinda of build would be good? Wisdom max, mace or warhammer?
>>
>>51211594
How the fuck did he wipe your memories to that degree?

I'd say fuck that. Modify memory isn't even that powerful of a spell. And I myself am fine with making up effects that happen outside the realm of normal spells, but that is some fucked up shit to make canon.

The DM should have been more creative and given you false memories of your homeland being the clear aggressor, POSSIBLY causing you to stay instead of going. But still giving you the ultimate choice. If you had decided to stay after the new memories took effect, possibly having those memories restored could have led to a really cool moment in the story if you get healed by a greater restoration and discovered the shenanigans done by the enchanter.

Shit DM.
>>
>>51211612
Any weapon the monk is proficient with.
>>
>first campaign I DM
>follow all the travel rules
>ask for marching order, track rations, utilize travel speed

>second campaign I DM
>ignore all travel rules and just handwave all those mechanics
>it's 100x better
>>
>>51211664
This is also the reason most people hate playing a ranger in practice because the things they're good at get hand waved. And kind of rightfully so, because that shit is boring 90% of the time.

If you've got a ranger, make sure to include some non-travel related ranger shit for them to do.
>>
>>51211457
champion fighter my friend, enjoy yourself and have a fun game
>>
>>51211664
>>51211699
These mechanics can be fun, but only in the right sort of game.

You want hexcrawl mechanics and some sort of Dungeon Meshi set-up where players are having to cook up and eat monsters or something.

Don't do it to keep ranger relevant, do it for a certain type of party where they're broke and hungry / away from civilization / limited on time and they need to explore. Something like that.

It's even better with the 7 day long rest 8 hour short rest rulings.
>>
>>51211478
This is the one where the DM had you working for a theorteically corrupt lord or something, right?

>>51211594
Holy shit, is the DM basically saying 'No, you can't leave the party because lol a master wizard showed up and told you no'?
>>
>>51211699
Instead of using travel mechanics whatsoever, I just treat the walk to and from a dungeon as part of the dungeon. I try to include Rangery type stuff in there.

For example, say they're hiking to a goblin infested cave. One of my favorite encounter templates is "party stumbles upon unaware enemies in midtransit", IE maybe a goblin hunting party returning to base, or fighting some mercenaries, or hauling captives, or whatever else. Then I just let the party do whatever they want. Follow, engage, ignore, whatever. It's easy to sprinkle Rangery activies in there - the band marched through and tracks are visible, or the party attempts to follow stealthily and you can have many possible interactions with the terrain and the enemy camp.

The key is treating it as part of the dungeon, not just an obligatory preface. If the party spends an entire session on various shenanigans as they attempt to continually tail, sneak into, or otherwise interact with a goblin band, that's just as good as some puzzle or RPG interactions I could've dropped into room 2B of the cave.
>>
>>51211729
Why the Champion out of curiosity? It doesn't seem to get any interesting abilities, outside of the increased crit range.

>>51211611
That looks fun, definitely a possibility!
>>
>>51211588
>>51211767
I apologize for my poor choice of words, I did leave the party. I am now a sleeper agent for the side of the wizard, though.

>>51211655
This is also the same gm that made my party of level 5's fight a dragon so he could use his polymorphing dragon npc
>>
>>51211840
Crits are fun and champion gets loads of them.
>>
>>51210208
I do love 5e paladins, but their fluff is a little wonky. The phb describes them as being righteous warriors who's power comes from a sacred oath, but fails to explain the hows or why of this. This is then contradicted on basically the same page by the fact they get smite before they swear their oath.
And then the dmg has the oathbreaker, who has broken his oath but still has his powers. He isn't righteous and he doesn't have an oath but he still has his powers.
Then you have the oath of the crown, which is basically lawful neutral with good leanings, so not particularly righteous but still has powers.
And then you have the oaths of conquest and treachery, lawful neutral with evil leanings and chaotic neutral with evil leanings respectively. The oath of treachery is basically the oath of not having an oath.
I actually love all these oaths, but if this is what they were going to do with the class then why the fuck doesn't the fluff in the phb reflect it?
>>
>>51211864
So.. I suppose the DM is trying to set up the people the party's working for as a really douchey faction they should rebel against? Is that his intention?

It's a bit of a shame to not give the character a proper send-off, and honestly whenenver 'memory wipe' comes up it's bullshit on the level of 'aliens invade, probe humans' but if there's some way to save the guy..
>>
>>51211742
Yeah, travel mechanics can certainly be fun, but not in 5e, because you need to add so much homebrew that it's barely 5e's systems anymore. But in a campaign like that, where you have a party having out of character navigation discussions, you can definitely do some fun stuff.

Personally I've always wanted to design a system for a "blind" hexcrawl (players have my descriptions and their navigation skills/decisions instead of access to the hex map) and run that, but I've yet to be in the right mood for it.

But for most campaigns the best solution is to just ignore the systems entirely. Treat travel as part of the dungeon, and treat travel based actions the same as any other RP action, that is, on a case by case basis.
>>
>>51211898
Every piece of the Rogue's fluff says they're all stealy dickthieving criminals.

I don't know why either, anon.

Perhaps nobody knows.
>>
>>51211904
No, it's seriously only this guy that is a douche. That makes him BBEG #3 at this rate
>>
So why is Oathbreaker considered overpowered? I understand why Oath of Treachery is but I'm not sure what feature Oathbreakers get that's so exploitable.
>>
Is it possible to play a naive character who tries to spare lives when ever possible without pissing off the group?
>>
>>51211959
CHA to damage on all attacks.

Just hope you aren't fighting Undead or Fiends.
>>
>>51211898
It is a bit dubious.
It's generally considered to be 'the strength of their convictions, force of will', and so forth.
Imagine it a bit like a favoured soul sorcerer fighter. They channel holy energy (but might not be affiliated with a god) into battle, and oaths and such restrictions with honour and such help their ties to the holy realm. Then, oathbreakers just channel unholy energy and are fucking overpowered because of that level 7 ability.

I think they've left it a little dubious to allow paladin a lot more leeway than previous editions, especially so they don't need to set up an entire class for 'unholy paladin'.

>>51211908
I wouldn't say it completely alters the system, but you do have to nerf things such as goodberry or make it so extraordinary heroes need extraordinary food.

There's a lot of stuff you have to make up, but it's not really 'homebrew' to replace existing mechanics, it's just filling in where 5e has left the mechanics blank for the DM to fill in.
>>
>>51211959
Up to +5 to damage is pretty much the same as an additional improved divine smite at 1d8.

It's not crazy overpowered, but it is to a certain degree and holy fuck it's not even an exciting feature, it's just, 'You do a fuckton more damage! Up to 20 more damage a round, go you, edgelord!'
>>
So im reading the unfinished Mystic UA
if i understand correctly are Disciplines like stances? you use one, gain the psychic focus, and then "cast" from the list of associated effects using psi points?
>>
>>51211829
You basically summarized exactly how I do things as well.
>>
File: 007.png (56KB, 615x375px) Image search: [Google]
007.png
56KB, 615x375px
I'm adding on to my character's background since I only had a barebones one so far.

Is there any spell you can put on someone to prevent them from talking about something specific?

I've got a secret agent type PC and I think it'd be interesting to show how their nation, (until now shown in a mostly good light), has a bit of a less savory side in that their agents are heavily affected by Modify Memory and have some spell to prevent them from discussing their mission by any means.

Geas seems like an option but it's only once a day, and where I am at level 7 I could survive even a max damage 5d10.

Obviously Modify Memory would be good for a lot of things, but they clearly can't not remember their mission while they're on it. Ideally something that 1. doesn't actually cause harm, just prevents them from talking, and 2. is an actual spell from the game instead of a made up one so it has a proper frame of reference for the DM.
>>
>>51211661
I cant find this section anywhere
>>
>>51211988
In regards to goodberry, I've always ruled it that it does exactly what it says, but the name goodberry is a bit ironic because it is perhaps one of the most bitter tasting "fruits" you could ever put in your mouth.
>>
>>51212139
It was any martial weapon the monk is proficient with.
>>
>>51211478
I don't think you were a that guy. If that's what you're character would of, then that's what you're character would do.
Ideally, characters have reasons why they are on an adventure and are part of a party, reasons that are important enough to overcome most other concerns, and I do kind of think it's a players duty to think of these reasons and create a character who isn't just going to flake out on the other characters at the drop of a hat. D&D is about creating a group of adventurers, players should take that into consideration when creating their characters.
In this instance, it does't feel like your character is flaking out, it feels more like the DM threw you a massive curve ball without any warning, so you didn't really have a chance to properly take it into consideration. Your character's country going to war with the country you're party is adventuring in is obviously going to have potentially huge impact on your character and derail their motivations for adventuring. your DM should have taken that into consideration and either not done it, or he should have made sure to do it in such a way that your character was still given a reason to stay in the party, or he should have consulted with you before hand to make sure you could come up with a reason. Your DM dropped the ball by not foreseeing the possibility of your character leaving the party.
>>
>>51212162
I've always used Goodberries as being like a super-nutritious Caffeine shot, you won't starve on them and it can suppress your appetite, and it peps you up like chugging a full can of Monster or Red Bull due to it's healing magic nature, but the berry itself tastes somewhere between really, really, REALLY bitter Cranberry and chalk.

So while you can certainly survive off them you'd probably rather eat something else unless your character lives a completely Spartan lifestyle.
>>
>>51212243
Essentially, yes. Living on goodberries for a week I might have to make a player role a wisdom save or suffer some short term madness.
>>
>>51212211
This exactly.
And it seems to me your DM didn't even conceive the possibility you might decide to retire your character for this reason and hastily tried to "fix" the situation by turning him into a sleeper agent, as you put it, by having a super powerful enchanter come and fuck you up.

It's bullshit and shows he didn't think this through.

How important is your character anyway that some enchanter would need you to stay that badly?
>>
>>51211664
>>51211699
>>51211829
yeah its super important to make the way to a destination an event rather than a matter of fact.
hell im pretty sure the DMs Guide has a table for rolling traveling encounters
and i think instead of ignoring traveling rules you should perhaps compartmentalize them, use them lightly asnd as a guide line rather than something hard and fast. that way players feel like moving from place to place is something of an achievement rather than a chore or something to ignore.
think of games like Fallout or TES where there are events that can proc just from going from one place to another, or how you can stumble across monsters or places.
>>
>>51211594
I think your character getting mind controlled like that is pretty bullshit. Taking away control of a PC like that is one of the cardinal sins of DMing. You choosing to retire your character is still your choice. They're still your character. Turning your character into an npc and then taking them away from your vision of the character just feels like the DM is power-tripping. especially when the whole memory wiping thing sounds like total DM fiat bullshit.
>>
>>51212211
>If that's what you're character would of, then that's what you're character would do.

No, fuck that philosophy. Don't make asshole decisions just because they're in character. However, I agree otherwise.

Retiring a character isn't an asshole decision (unless you do it in an asshole way, like disrupting play mid session or something). Sometimes the coolest thing a character can do is retire. Maybe he can even live out his life as a badass NPC to meet in passing in some adventure down the road.

Your DM was being an asshole for abusing your character's retirement.
>>
>>51212211
It is only now that I truly recognize the fact that minor details being left out have a crippling effect on judgment. I apologize for the third time due to this fact and would like to note that I had two weeks irl to mull this over (even though I pretty much decided the day after we played).

>>51212335
He isn't even that important. I've acted as a diplomat for the city that had warned others against demons and then that was about it. If the DM would have asked me to have the character stay, I would have, but I honestly can say i feel this is a disservice. He even told me that my sentient sword was going to physically unattune itself from me had I not given it up to my other party members as an gift to remember me by
>>
>>51211898
i think a lot of it is lose so you get the idea of the direction of the fluff but can fluff it up more yourself when actually playing so it can be justified in game.
that way it doesn't' have to rely on gods if that not important to a given campaign, and a given subclass doesn't impose TOO had on a character personality
>>
>>51211971
All you need for that is any sort of melee char for combat (melee attacks that reduce to 0 hp knock unconscious stable instead of killed/death saves and roleplay the rest
>>
>>51212458
>He even told me that my sentient sword was going to physically unattune itself from me had I not given it up to my other party members as an gift to remember me by

the fuck.
I usually feel like it's more bullshit if a character retires and gives party members their magic shit. Because magic items are fucking magic.
>>
>>51212506
I think he means
>won't I start pissing off other members of the group if I never finish anyone off
Leaving your enemies alive can be a good merciful act. But if they're truly evil, they won't care that you spared them and might come back for your head. Especially likely if your group killed one of theirs already. Or stole from them.
>>
>>51212537
I only did this because I did not want the sword to feel bad for fighting friends. Either way I was going to lose it, so it's better that I lost it on my own terms
>>
>>51210873
Barbarian Rage, Cunning action to dash so you can pull grappled folks around full speed. Just off the top of my head.
>>
>>51212565
>the sword was going to be fighting friends

So you said you were going to return to your homeland and join their forces to fight the country you were currently in?
Even if that's true, why does the sword presume you'd ever be fighting your friends. They're adventurers, not in the army of that land, correct?
>>
Is the Theurge Wizard any good? I've always had a thing for Cleric Wizard multiclasses but it's hard to make it any good.
>>
>hundreds of third party materials for pathfinder
>not half as many for fifth, which many consider a superior system (self included)

This still confuses me.
>>
>>51212578
Don't forget to shove them to the ground first, so they can't even stand up without first breaking the grapple.
>>
>>51212614
I'm not sure why it needs it?
Everything in 5e can basically be fixed by simple refluff.
>>
>>51212614
>Pathfinder came out in 2009
>Fifth Edition came out in 2015
I fucking wonder.
>>
>>51212614
Pathfinder is still built on the d20 System, which publishers (i.e. old people) are more familiar with.
>>
>>51212600
I asked if they would come with me to help aid my homeland, but they all declined and said they'd rather help out here
>>
>>51212632
>>51212628
When you have fewer flaws with the base game, fewer modifications need to be published to fix said flaws.
>>
File: brainsizeofaveragecritfailer.png (152KB, 616x620px) Image search: [Google]
brainsizeofaveragecritfailer.png
152KB, 616x620px
>>51212614
>>
>>51211613
High Constitution, high Wisdom, decent Strength or Dexterity depending on how you want to fight. Max out Wisdom first, then Str/Dex or Constitution depending on personal preference, although I lean towards Constitution personally. Clerics don't go too well if you focus too strongly on physical combat; you're better off playing a paladin if that's your thing, even though the Tempest and War clerics might seem to encourage that fighting style. Melee for clerics work best as attacks of opportunity or as a damaging "cantrip" rather than a major combat tactic.

A personal preference as a starting point for martial clerics is 15 Wisdom, 14 Constitution, 14 Strength, putting a +1 into Wisdom and Constitution and then getting Resilient (Constitution) for a +1 to the stat and a bonus to concentration checks. You're an Aasimar so you can't benefit from that freedom in stat bonuses, and your stat bonuses aren't ideal, but you can certainly work with it.

If you're going point buy, 14 Str, 14 Constitution, and 15 Wisdom to start with. +1 Wisdom from the Protector Aasimar. Focus on Wisdom bonuses for your ASI from then on out, switching to Constitution or Feats once you're done, or do what I usually do which is alternate between Wisdom and Constitution bonuses as you progress. You might want to push Str up to 15 at some point so you're not slowed down by Plate armour, maybe starting with 15 Strength instead just so you don't have to invest in it later.
>>
>>51212737
Same guy, wasn't trying to bait honestly. I felt retarded five minutes after posting because of

>>51212632
>>
>>51212614
I see /pfg/ is still mad 5e doesn't have Kitsune
>>
>>51212614
Pathfinder is as old as 4e, it came out as fan material for 3.5e keeping all of its sacred cows, resolving nothing and introducing its own shit.
It needs to sell material, a lot of times disappointing shit because it can't compete otherwise.
People erroneously believe PF has a lot of options but the great bulk of them are traps or completely terrible.

5e is young by comparison, is already immensely popular and doesn't nearly need as many options because the classes are equally playable and the system is actually good.
>>
Just finished my session. Had a Bone Naga tag three players with lightning bolt. Shit was so cash.
>>
Who concentrates on infused spells?
>>
>>51212832
Mearls clarified: the person who activates it.
>>
>>51212832
The person who uses it.
>>
>>51211988
>It's generally considered to be 'the strength of their convictions, force of will', and so forth.
Sure, something along those lines is clearly what they're going for, but that is not what the phb fluff says. Plus, there is the fact that oath of treachery is basically someone who is utterly devoted to the ideal of not being devoted to any ideals. They have very strong convictions about not having any strong convictions.

>I think they've left it a little dubious to allow paladin a lot more leeway than previous editions, especially so they don't need to set up an entire class for 'unholy paladin'.
The thing is, it's not dubious. The description is very clear that paladin's get their power from being righteous and swearing an oath of righteousness. They don't explain why an otherwise normal human can access divine power if they're righteous enough, but that is clearly how it is described. And that works fine for the three phb oaths. It just breaks down the second you look at any other oath.

I am totally okay with them expanding the paladin class so that the concept of the classic paladin and the antipaladin become subtypes of the new paladin. It's kind of weird that the new "overpaladin" class is still called paladin, but that's just typical D&D quirkiness that comes from the game evolving over 30 years.
Paladins having different oaths is the same as clerics having different domains and wizards having schools, it makes sense that something like this would come to the paladin in 5e, since applying that type of design to all classes is exactly what archetypes are.

In 5e, all classes must be broad enough in their concept to contain sub classes and the old paladin has always been a uniquely narrow concept among the D&D classes. A class defined by their restriction to a single alignment is not broad enough. But a class defined by their restriction to AN alignment, ANY alignment? That fits, and that's what the 5e paladin is.
But that is not how it is described
>>
>>51212760
Both the /pfg/ and the game itself are infested by pony-lovers and furfaggots to the point where it's not even funny.
>>
>>51212807
Nice one, pence.
>>
>>51210291

Monk w/ Short sword + Grappler feat? Way of Open Hand is pretty nasty since you can prone people then grapple to stop them from getting up.
>>
>>51212875
And don't forget the SJW devs who slap down hard on dissent and fun.
>>
What's a good multiclass that goes with the Battlemaster?
>>
>>51212952
Rogue. Basically anything. Barbarian.
>>
>>51212874
I don't think it's a constriction to any alignement, either. Each oath can seep into different alignments. You can even do oath of treachery on a chaotic good if you want.

Honestly, for something like oathbreaker, I'd actually say they have to be making some sort of connection to Orcus of a devil or something, considering the fiendish/undead affinity. They aren't just regular paladins and both treachery and oathbreaker have questionable features that might potentially be overpowered.

Still, I think the best way to look at it is generally some sort of favouredsoul-fighter, or a cleric-sorcerer-fighter. They also tend to come from paladin orders, which have strict rulings, training and all that, much like how monk comes from often strict orders that train people in their ways.

Paladins tend to be the knights in shining armour honed by the very best of humankind whereas the anti-paladins tend to be those paladins who have takent hat training and then turned it around to abuse that power they've been given.

Still, it's not like people read the class descriptions too much anyway, and there's only so and so much space for class descriptions, they can't describe everything.
>>
someone post a tier list for classes/builds plz
>>
Best way to play a melee ranger?
>inb4 play fighter
>>
>>51212968
goat
>everything else
meh tier
>what you're currently playing
>shit tier
>your favorite build

there
>>
>>51212952
>>51212959
Both of those sound like they would go better with champion. Then again, I suppose rogue gets riposte for reaction sneak attacks.

Even so, champion tends to be best for a multiclass as its main feature is at level 3 and then its level 7+ features suck until it gets survivor and 18-20 crits.

>>51212968
>fullcasters and paladin, except for sorcerer and warlock
>everyone else
>PHB ranger, monk that isn't 100% sure of what they're doing
Something like that. I'll go into more detail in a bit maybe.
>>
Level 5 Dex based Fighter Battle master. What should I multi class as?
>>
File: 99 percent hit chance.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
99 percent hit chance.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>51212989
>mfw I DM for a half-orc monk that only has like 14 dex and 13 wis at level fucking 10 and he somehow hasn't died

I've had to be generous with tossing him magic items to up his damage at least. It's his first character though, so I'm being nice.
>>
File: 1480555237983.jpg (60KB, 641x794px) Image search: [Google]
1480555237983.jpg
60KB, 641x794px
Why does dual wield suck so hard compared to other options? What's a simple fix you'd make to bring it more in line with the rest?
>>
>>51212968
>>51212989
Alright, first choose your level of play.
>high levels
Casters are king.
>mid levels.
Fairly balanced.
>low levels
Martials tend to be best, but casters are still fine, especially some things such as moon druid.

TIER ONE
>Cleric, Wizard, Bard, Druid
Highly versatile full casters that can do various things in combat and out of combat.
>Paladin
Not a full caster and lacks full caster utility, but they have a great wealth of combat ability alongside half-casting. Great non-burst damage, great burst damage, tanking, healing.. Whatever. Good multiclass compatibilities, auras to support everybody...
>TIER TWO
>warlock
Great at ranged combat lines where you can repel enemies and stay at a distnce and blast endlessly. Comes with various utilities. A lot less spells and variation than wizard. Highly multiclass compatible however with paladin and sorcerer for charisma shillelagh / eldritch blast spam.
>sorcerer
Basically wizard but easier, less spells you can cast at any one time, can't swap out spells.. Your only real advantages are heightened spell/quickened spell / twinned spell. Better at burst. Somewhat multiclass compatible with paladin/warlock and suchlike.
>rogue/barbarian/stuff
No post space.
>tier 3
PHB ranger. Too much flavour, not enough oompf. Go for UA revised ranger.
Monk. One-trick-pony, squishy: Enter melee to stun opponent over and over. Stat hungry.
Fighter?: Hit things lots. Maybe be hard to hit. Action surge is good. That's it. Feats!
>>
>>51212971
Hunter
Two handed > Dual Wielding
Sword and board if you are going the defensive route
If you do want to dual wield, it is one of the better option for it because of hunters mark, but two handed will still do more damage.
>>
>>51213047
Do you prefer ranged or melee?

There's a lot of fun to be had with a ranger battle master that keeps their distance with goading and tripping attacks.
So MC into rogue is nice for the cunning action disengage.
>>
>>51213051
>13 AC
>Not dead
I refuse to believe that shit, I literally stopped playing monks with non monk races because AC 14 till 4th level was the death of my chars, literally
>>
>>51213068
Uh, it's not that bad desu.
I'd rule that having either the dual wielder feat OR the dual wielder fighting style lets you draw two weapons though. It's kinda silly not to be able to.
>>
>>51213072
>Fighter that low with phb ranger and monk
Shiggydiggyscoobydoob
>>
Live from my current game:

a halfling is explaining the concept of "spooning" to a warforged.
>>
>>51213094
I know, that's what I'm saying.
His orc racial feature letting him drop to 1 hp instead of 0 has saved him on a few occasions though.

I also will get shit rolls right when he needs them. And I don't even fudge.

I can say to his credit, he at least recognizes when he needs to get the fuck away and let the moon druid deal with melee. Patient defense has also saved his ass.
>>
File: 1482866805650.jpg (323KB, 1280x1506px) Image search: [Google]
1482866805650.jpg
323KB, 1280x1506px
>>51213110
It's pretty bad man, at least in my opinion. I think my biggest problem with it is it eats a bonus action to attack, and there's no way to remedy it. Every other option allows your classes to play to their utmost best ability, but to swing an extra attack(I'd be fine with even half damage dealt) means you can't do 80% of the game's class features.
>>
>>51210410
Dragon Sorcerer

>AC
>quicken GFB
>boosted GFB
>>
>>51213161
It depends on which class you're talking about.
As a fighter it's pretty nice. You get to make 2 attacks before level 5, and get to add your mod to the damage.

Also, lots of battle master maneuvers don't cost a bonus action.
If you're a rogue, then yeah, it's kinda shit. But you should only be using it for the purposes of getting off a sneak attack.
>>
>>51213112
Yeah, there's a '?' next to it.
I'd say it's about tier 2.

>>51213072
>>51212968
Continuing:

Tier 2:
Rogue, barbarian, fighter, artificer, a monk that knows what they're doing
Rogue is pretty versatile. Usually not the best damage-wise. Fun. Barbarians are great at taking hits, and still do decent damage. Multiclass compatible. Fighters are... They hit things a lot, but have a bit of versatility to them. More feets and being mono-stat is good. At least they hit things well. Artificer is a load of fun, and great use of the mechanical assitant may even boost them to tier 1 with alchemist and careful use of their abilities. Doesn't compete with high level casters, however.

>Tier 2.5:
Most accepted homebrew such as pugilist or bloodhunter. Usually just worse versions of stuff you can already do.
>>
>>51213189
>Also, lots of battle master maneuvers don't cost a bonus action.
I shouldn't even say lots of them. Most don't. They can be spent on a hit. Which is another reason to attack more often with your bonus action.
>>
>>51213068
It's not bad, you just have to play certain ways to make it good.
>barbarogue
>rogue (melee), though don't underestimate ranged rogue. Great if you've got a wolf barbarian.
>no-feats paladin because you really hate PAM for some reason
>bladesinger
>some really weird melee rangers I guess

It makes sense it's a bit niche, because honestly I don't think dual-wielding is the most 5e suitable thing.
>>
>>51212441
>No, fuck that philosophy. Don't make asshole decisions just because they're in character. However, I agree otherwise.
The problem is not with doing what your character would do, the problem is that you made your character an asshole. Making your character do what your character would do is called roleplaying. It is an entirely appropriate thing to do in a roleplaying game. The problem is not with roleplaying your character, it is with creating a character that is incompatible with the type of game you're playing.
Your character should do what your character would do, but your character should also not be an asshole. That's what I was saying.
>>
What are some of the better uses of an Arcane Trickster's Mage Hand?
>>
>>51213189
I don't know, maybe you're right. It just comes down to class. I just feel like I have to invest heavily into it to bring it up to par with other fighting styles.
>>
>>51213161
DId a different artist render each of those serpent heads? None of them look alike.

I love when finearts students are forced to draw something multiple times on the same page WITHOUT resorting to poor mirror mechanics. It's hilarious to see, really.
>>
>>51213261
Not a clue, picked it up in one of the art threads.
>>
File: UnSl6xn[1].gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
UnSl6xn[1].gif
2MB, 500x281px
>Mechanical Servant
>Giant spider is Challenge 2 and large
>Can look how I want as long as it can do the attacks
this gun be good
>>
Since mystic thought spear is an INT-saving thrown effect.... Half cover and 3/4 cover wouldn't affect it right?
>>
>>51213261
Looks like the same art style of one artist.
>>
>>51213079
I have cross bow master feat so i use a Melee and use Bonus action to make another attack with handcrossbow
>>
>>51213233
There's still an element of 'guardian angel' in there. It's perfectly fine for the player to act as a sort of guardian angel - Your character MIGHT run into that trap that you know but the character doesn't know without an int check will instantly kill them, but as a player, you should find a reason your character might not do that. 'Oh, I'd run into it, but I'd rather set up and cook here.'

You should do things that your character would sensibly do which also satisfies you. If you exacted exactly like your character would, you're not having any personal input other than working out what you personally would do. That's completely eliminating aspects such as tactics and such for anyone playing an 8 intellect character.

There needs to be a balance. You can't metagame too hard, but you can't say 'I do a really stupid thing because my character is really stupid'.
>>
>>51213250
I'd say ranger is the class where it is the shittiest.
But of the three that most commonly use it (fighter, rogue, ranger), it is also the shittiest class.
>>
>>51213302
Giant spider is CR1 though.
>>
>>51213068
It's not that dual-wielding is bad. GWM and SS is just too good.
>>
>>51213250
> I just feel like I have to invest heavily into it to bring it up to par with other fighting styles.

This is why I think by default the fighting style should let you draw two weapons.
That addition to the feat should just be a benefit to anyone who doesn't have access to that fighting style, or didn't take that fighting style.
>>
>>51213232
Don't forget mystic brah. 10d10 at level 5.
>>
>>51213347
Not him, but it can be less than CR 2 so long as it's large.
I'm considering taking spider as well because web seems so fucking useful.
>>
>>51211457
Shadow monk/Trickery cleric for mindfuckery

Swashbuckler rogue/Dragon Sorcerer to become the gish-iest gish that ever gished.

Swashbuckler/Battle master to impose disadvantage with ranged attacks and give your crew attacks of opportunity while still being capable in melee.

Tranquillity Monk/Thief with the healers feat and medicine expertise.
>>
Is Revised ranger usually allowed in games or is still in beta?
>>
>>51213242
Use it to manipulate item as a bonus action at range and laugh at Thief rogue.
>>
>>51213409
Usually allow in game (not AL though). But don't allow them to multiclass. UA stuff wasn't written with multiclass balance in mind.
>>
>>51213391
Well, maybe. The deal with paladin is not only od they get a chance of dealing crit smites more often, but they get improved divine smite to every attack at level 11.

Without a feature like improved divine smite, it just sounds like you've only got smite alone working for you, and I'm not even sure if you get extra attack with that.
>>
>>51213175
You mean favored soul.
> Medium armor (can switch to heavy with a feat)
> Extra attack
> Quicken GFB
>>
Hey /5eg/, making a homebrew Winter domain for Cleric, with a mechanical focus on cold damage and debuffs, but am actually kind of lost on what to give it a 1st level ability and 2nd level Channel Divinity option.

Any ideas?
>>
>>51213448
Refluff tempest cleric or light cleric ability and make it cold damage?
>>
>>51211612
Any martial weapons your monk is proficient with but only shortsword lets you keep your unarmed strikes.
>>
>>51213421
How so may I ask was thinking of multitasking into beast master seems better then the other one I am playing a fighter btw
>>
>>51213448
1st level they learn frostbite cantrip as a cleric spell
resistance to cold damage

Channel divinity, they can freeze enemies in their tracks
Per channel divinity they can reduce the speed of a number of creatures they can see to 0 based equal to their wis mod. Range of 30 feet.
>>
>>51212602
Theurge is a better cleric than the cleric
>>
>>51213511
They get way too many good ability at level 1. And they didn't clarify stuff like how your animal companion only progress with ranger level (which was later confirmed via twitter).
>>
>>51213532
If that seems too strong, perhaps add a con save against their spellsave DC to resist the speed reduction. You might not want them freezing a dragon out of the sky, for example. Still, 30 feet isn't that long of range.
>>
>>51213448
playing a Goliath (Shadow) Monk 4 / Rogue 1 next week.

Rolled 18 (20), 16, 15 (16), 10, 14, 10.
I plan on sticking with unarmed weapons attacks rather than using weapons.

Later on, Im thinking a 1 level dip into Barbarian for rage than going back to monk til we end.

Out of 10 how does this rate for an anti-mage brawler.

The general idea is grapple a caster, cast silence on myself, and punch until they die.
>>
>>51212987
Kek
>>
File: psychicwarrior2.jpg (46KB, 308x500px)
psychicwarrior2.jpg
46KB, 308x500px
>playing an Awakened Mystic from Zakhara
>resign myself to being useless in combat
>Thought Spear does 6-8 damage literally every attempt and nothing ever saves
>I am a psychic god exploding the minds of my foes while striking fabulous poses
>>
>>51213574
> DM only use incorporeal casters
>>
>>51212602
Theurge is breddy gud, especially if you want a cloth-wearing caster who can both fireball and heal. Death Domain Theurge is straight up a better Necromancer than the Necromancy Tradition.(not dude with skeleman followers but legit evil death wizard)

>>51213574
I think you replied to the wrong post there friendo.
>>
>>51213564
Ok well I will talk to DM and just let him know that so we should be good.
>>
>>51213612
I am going to roll up awakened mystic in 2 week. What should I expect.
>>
>>51213094
Just wear armor and a shield for your first eight levels.
>>
>>51213615
i did, my bad

>>51213613
That.. would be something
>>
File: 1477085953961.jpg (60KB, 736x888px) Image search: [Google]
1477085953961.jpg
60KB, 736x888px
>>51213403
What'd be the best creature for a golem?
>>
>>51211493
Making it a formal system means you can do more mechanics that interact with it. Like sharks or gnolls or other creatures who benefit off of hunting wounded things can now get a benefit when they break/are within 10 points of their HP.
>>
How bad is the Bloodhunter class?
>>
>>51213669
Wouldn't it be better to get extra attack first? You would be able to grapple twice with that in your arsenal.
>>
>>51213693
About equal to an optimized bladelock
>>
>>51213675
That's what I mean with 4e. You had the Bloody system which enabled different things, but it didn't quite support what the article was wanting from such a system.
>>
>>51213713
So garbage?
>>
>>51213653
A whole lot of fucking nothing until level 5, desu
Unless you're an Elf, then at lease you can finesse a shortsword and take Psychic Weapon to be not absolute shit in melee

But I stopped at 10 Str / 14 Dex so I've got no real combat ability and exist only to spam my FUCKING ELEVEN SKILLS (no Mind Vault) and trivialize all social and interrogation encounters with Exacting Query.

Occluded Mind has been useful in combat, though.
>any enemy who fails their save believes one ten word statement about you, themselves, or another creature for the next five minutes
>THAT GOBLIN HIRED US TO KILL YOU
>>
>>51213693
Its good, high damage weak defence. Actually makes use of two weapon fighting.
>>
>>51213673
Bears can walk on their hind legs.
>>
>>51213708
Would I?

I was torn between waiting for extra attack or making the grabbling itself much more efficient.

I figured a build from 1 would go monk 1/rogue1 then monk 3 so I just used that as the reasoning.
>>
>>51213673
That's the thing, they seemed to pick a specification that largely favors animals and mounts.

I'd say a rhino, though. Charge in with one big attack. Has really high str.
>>
>>51213728
> no mind vault
Well I do plan to take mind vault and shoot heavy crossbow in combat for the early level.
>>
So what do you guys think about the UA Mystic thus far?

I might see if my group is cool letting me use one in our one-off series. And then around level 10 dump him (or multiclass) into something else.
>>
>>51213759
Well... extra attack would let you deal with stuff that can't be grapple, like huge creature, too.
>>
>>51213441
>extra attack
>working with cantrips
>>
>>51213799
Mystic Version 3 (with full 20 level of progression) should arrive sometime next month.
>>
>>51213836
Quicken GFB brah.
You use Attack > Extra attack > Haste action attack and then quicken GFB as bonus action attack.
>>
>>51213728
>>51213612
This is an accurate summary of our current mystic
>My only real benefit is doing something a wizard could do, except for a cheap ability that allows me to make enemies straight up turn on their allies
>>
>>51213613
>Monks get magic fists at lvl 6 so it won't work.
>>
>>51213886
They are still immune to grapple though.
>>
>>51213708
You are even allowed to grapple twice? I thought you could only replace one attack with a grapple.

For a rogue, grappling and attacking is great because you get sneak attack on only one attack anyway. Also shoving prone grants sneak attack and advantage.
>>
>>51213902
You've got two hands, dontcha?
And you can leglock bitches. Grapple three enemies!
>>
kk - about to DM got a few questions

>Loot
What kind of things will players find on a group of 4~ goblins they have slain? shortswords, bows, maybe a few arrows, body part s if they want?

>EXP
Goblins give 50 exp each, then there is the multiplier of 2 if there are 3-6. so that's 400 exp divided by the number of players. right?

secondly..
I just feel so overwhelmed
>>
Alright, for a wizard being created for SKT, High Elf or Drow?

Also trying to decide between Illusion and Divination. Divination has a lot of potential to save someones life, Illusion has a lot of battlefield control which can outright lower the damage in an encounter aswell.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51213902
You can replace all your attack action attack with grapple.
>>
>>51213900
You mean I can punch a ghosts lights out but can't grapple it?

That's some serious bullshit.
>>
>>51213926
So far for this campaign - the starter one - I've just setup the icons and have read through the first 2 acts, but I feel like I haven't retained all the details..
>>
>>51213936
High Elf Divination for the most optimal build.
>>
>>51213926
>Loot
At best they'll sell the goblins' weapons for loot, if they're not damaged (which they probably are). Goblins are rarely worth looting.
>EXP
No, Adjusted XP is just for encounter building purposes. In the case of 6 goblins and 4 players, each player receives 75 XP (300/4).
>>
>>51213926
Just basically what they have on them.
If there's a goblin boss, maybe he's got like 3 gold pieces or some shit.

>EXP
Milestones is generally more fun if you're running a homebrew setting. AKA, when it seems appropriate or like the players should level up, give it to them.

Don't feel overwhelmed, just focus on having fun and everything will be fine. Don't get anal about rules but follow them as best you can. If there's a dispute, call it in the players favor (but reserve the right to change the ruling later after you've had time to look it up), so that the action keeps going.

Have fun. It's really a pretty good game.
>>
>>51213926
Use fucking milestones. Tracking experience is stupid. Characters level up when you feel like they should level up.
>>
>>51213926
Loot for a random encounter is whatever the enemies had on them including their pocket change. For gobbos thats a few coppers, maybe a silver or two, for each.
>>
>>51213945
No. Allowing monk to grapple ghosts (and vice versa) will definately lead to /pfg/ tier situation.
>>
>>51213250
The thing about two weapon fighting is that it makes sense that it would be less effective. You can't put in the same amount of force if you're swinging two weapons at once. At its core, the fighting style is going to be worse than most others.
>>
>>51213979
>ghost is reduced to zero speed
Wow, that was hard.
>>
What are the best Disciplines for the Mystic? I'm a level 6 Awakened Mystic and my DM is letting me change them all around. Any ideas?

>>51213936
Starting a second campaign, SKT as well. I've been thinking of playing a Drow but the sunlight sensitivity penalty seems just a bit too steep.
>>
>>51213943
"When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it,
you can use the Attack action to make a special melee
attack, a grapple. If you're able to make multiple attacks
with the Atlack action, this atlack replaces one of them."

Is there any special ruling that says 'this attack replaces more than one of them'?
>>
>>51213129
WHO IS BLUSHING MORE?!
>>
>>51213998
Then what do you think will happen next anon? An horny murderhobo in close proximity with an inescapable victim. The law of the land doesn't cover dead people...
>>
>>51213999
Depends on the class mainly. As a wizard, I can get away with having disadvantage since I can choose spells that has no to-hit roll.
The Perception disadvantage is a bit more annoying however, but getting more spells and 120feet darkvision is also juicy.
>>
>>51213998
I tend to think of your fists while they are in motion are so focused with ki they are essentially magic (as ki empowered strike suggests).

But when you're not hitting things, they're just regular hands attached to an extraordinary individual. They aren't magical otherwise.
>>
>>51213999
It depends entirely on what you're doing. If you don't fight in melee, you don't need Psychic Weapon. If you don't get targetted by attacks, you don't need Intellect Fortress or Iron Durability. All three of those are good for Immortals, though. Celerity is good pick as well for Immortals.

If your party has other means of reading languages (Warlocks, Wizards), you don't really NEED Mind Vault (but it's always useful). Mind Over Emotion is your best group CC, while Conquering Mind is your best tool for being a social butterfly and cheesing combat encounters.

Psychic Restoration is good on whoever.
>>
>>51214013
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/03/how-many-grapples/
>>
>>51214025
>warforge misunderstands
>halflings dick gets stuck in his toaster
>>
How many encounters should be in a 4 hour session on average?
>>
>>51214085
>not grappling enemies with both legs
casuals

>>51214013
It's the same as Shove. If you want to spend all of your Attacks knocking someone backwards, go nuts.
>>
>>51214013
>>51214085
To clarify, the text never prevent you from replacing more than one attack with grapple. It was worded that way so you are able to choose which attack it replace freely.
>>
>>51214103
>>
>>51214116
>putting someone in a leg lock.

Only a shit DM wouldn't allow this. I'd rule you're effectively restrained though as long as you're maintaining all three grapples.
>>
>>51213971
>>51213973
>milestones
They feel highly arbitrary. While it eliminates the problems of 'I'm going to grind monsters for exp' or 'I'll attack monsters we don't need to attack for exp' and it gives 'you get rewarded for atcually doing something', it doesn't really feel like the players have control over it, it's just 'whenever the DM decides to increase your power'. The players can't really strive to do anything in particular to increase their power (grind monsters in monsters=EXP, loot more in gold=EXP, etc)

It's okay, but it's not the perfect final solution to EXP.

>>51213926
If the players attacked some random, harmless monsters, you bet they're getting jack shit. The monsters would likely run away anyway.
It's the monsters that will fight to the death protecting loot that the party should be after.

>>51214085
Fair enough. I guess you can grapple and then shove in one turn with only one free hand.

>>51214118
>>51214116
By the wording of shove/grapple it makes it sound like 'you can only replace one attack' with it. If it's in sage advice by the rulesmaster though, that's fine.
>>
>>51214145
>not using the two headlocked enemies under your arms as paddles to inch along the ground at 5 feet / round
>>
>>51214102
You don't spoon by putting it in the hotbox
>>
>>51214154
>the wording of shove/grapple makes it sound like
I think if you lined up everyone who thought it's only one attack out of your flurry vs. every flurry, there'd be more of the latter.

>milestones are arbitrary
The whole game is arbitrary, son. The point is to have fun with your friends, not let them roll die at predetermined points in your spreadsheet simulator. Obviously the DM takes into account what the PCs have been up to.

Milestones lead to faster progression in most cases, not slower.
>hrm yeah you guys killed those three ogres and all those goblins and shit and that was a really crazy fight but you're short 5000xp for the next level so FUCK IT level ups for everyone
>>
File: donotfistandroidgirls2.jpg (228KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
donotfistandroidgirls2.jpg
228KB, 800x600px
>>51214102
>>
Its so great or level 7 party took down a pit fiend using trickery and guile and only engaged directly in a bloodied state after leading into a few traps, one of them which tore its wings off. Now we are lvl 8 and just a sneeze away from 9.
>>
>>51214195
>what is a misunderstanding
>>
>>51214205
That's combining both EXP and milestones, though.
It's fine if the DM says 'oh, well, you're a little short, so I'll boost you up past that'.

You don't say, in combat, 'Oh, well, you hit the enemy really hard there, I guess we'll forget about HP and just drop them instantly.'
The idea is that each thing has progress, and tha players should feel informed of that progress instead of 'Okay, the monster goes down whenever I feel like it goes down, so do your best to do a lot of damage'.

Same for exp, but exp doesn't matter quite as much because often things are tailored towards your exp level unless your DM zones things by level. Say, you can choose to go to a high level area at a low level if you wish.

Back on the subject of grapples, the fact it specifically states 'one of them' clearly seems to be a limiter. It doesn't say 'You can replace any regular attack' or 'you can replace as many as you like', it specifically states 'one' of them. Not more. If it's not for the sage advice to state RAI I don't see why the RAW would be more than that.
>>
>>51214154
>The players can't really strive to do anything in particular to increase their power
Do they need to though? Could they not just do any and all game related things and have it collectively push towards increasing in power?
>>
XP is fine if you reward easy or medium difficulty XP for their level for social encounters (like the DMG suggests) and give XP as normal for combat. Consider it an RP award for the players and a progress reward for characters moving through the story.
>>
>>51214317
You don't ACTUALLY track XP while doing milestones, you just have a vague sense of how much each fight should contribute towards the next level, even if it's in percentage points.
>>
>>51214154
>They feel highly arbitrary.
Others have already answered for me, but yes. They are. And that's actually a good thing. In most cases it levels players up faster and the level ups appear during big story moments.

This means it pushes players to progress the story and encourages them to make big plays. It doesn't encourage murder hobos and it encourages better roleplay/character development/finishing story arcs.

>I can't wait to play next session and hopefully get to the end of the dungeon! We'll probably get a level up from that.
vs
>Well, I think we're almost at the end of this dungeon but we're all still really far from the next level in terms of exp. Uhh... I'm thinking about suiciding my character so I can play something else. We've been at level 5 for the past 4 sessions.
>>
How would an aasimar's angelic guardian react if the assimar turned to worship an evil god, but were not evil themselves?

I'm going to be playing a good aasimar who turned to and became a paladin of bane in a desperate attempt to save his hometown. Would the angelic guardian abandon him for worshiping an evil god, or would they stay by the aasimar's side since they still perform good actions despite the darker source of power.
>>
>>51214317
That's not a very good analogy and you know it.
You have to consider your strength and resources when going into a fight so yes, it should be a more fair adjustment. And the DM shouldn't just arbitrarily decide when it falls.

Leveling up doesn't take calculation from players. This isn't like you are midway in a dungeon and you know if you DING you get to go back to full resources so you're planning your level up accordingly. This isn't fucking skyrim.
>>
>>51214435
For the last time, Paladins do not get their powers from a god.
>>
>>51214485
angelic guardian is not a paladin thing. its a race feature
>>
>>51214511
Pretty sure he is talking about "paladin of bane" part. Worshipping an evil god doesn't give paladin more power.
>>
>>51214323
Well, yes, in a game where the exact goal of the party isn't well defined.

If the party's only real goal is to loot dungeons successfully then something such as gold=EXP works better, or if the party's only real goal is to exterminate monsters then you can go monsters=EXP and give additional rewards for saving people or killing particularly irritating monsters/ completing quests.

You can feedback players with exact numbers saying, 'okay, today, this is how well you did in EXP' rather than 'okay, you're about this much closer to levelling up, I suppose, if you do well next session you'll get a level'.

>>51214422
The argument isn't really about how fast EXP progression is. If your party is at the same level all the time it's either the party's doing something wrong with your system (You might want to start considering using a different system or get players to stop dicking about) or you're not rewarding exp right (exp reward for kills is too low or you don't reward for out of combat stuff)
Really, as above, the main difference is that players have a gauge that tells them their progress, and the DM can always give slight leeway.

>>51214477
You can do the same by saying that players can't level up until they have downtime, though. To study their experiences from a dungeon, make notes, do training or spend their downtime returning to rework what they learnt from the experience, or to just generally revise things.
Dungeons are the field trips from that persepctive.
>>
>>51214485
do they not? Is this a new meme or did I read over something.
>>
Has anyone ever used Cthulhu in their game? Any advice for how to use it as an antagonist for my players (both indirectly and directly)?
>>
>>51214580
Paladin get power from their oath in this edition. Page 82 PHB.
>>
>>51214541
>>51214435 Would the angelic guardian abondon him for worshipping an evil god?
>>
>>51214644
Would you leave your friend if he is being an idiot and intentionally making a bad life decision for no reason? Probably yes.
>>
>>51214628
> Although many paladins are devoted to gods of good, a paladin's power comes as much from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god

Did I miss something, because to me it's saying their power comes from a god
>>
>>51214713
> a paladin's oath is a powerful bond. It is a source of power that turns a devout warrior into a blessed champion.

Only the most important part.
>>
>>51214726
But wouldn't that bond be to their god? You swear the oath to the god, and the god grants you the fitting powers.

Without the god or other higher being you're gaining paladin power by blessing yourself, as the oath you swear isn't really to anything.
>>
>>51214726
I should also add if you didn't get your powers from a god, why do you still need a holy focus to cast spells and channel divinity.
>>
>>51213979
uh what? How?
Whats the worst that could happen
>>
>>51214790
Paladin are being who power themselves by their oath. That is the point.

They don't require godes. They can make an oath to anything. Their love one, their town, their king, some fey.

Stop being 3.5 tard. Even PF Paladin doesn't require you to have god.
>>
>>51214790
It's the power of all of humanity's will to beat up bullshit monsters. Together, they can overcome the overpowered bullshit.
>>
>>51214843
Again, you aren't force to use holy symbol to cast in 5e. Get 3.5 knowledge and bias out of your head.
>>
>>51214851
Ghost sex.
>>
>>51214560
I'm having a hard time understanding what your argument is.

We're in agreement that milestone is more arbitrary. Of fucking course it is.
What I think you're saying is you don't like it because you think players should be told "hey this is how close you are from your next level up."

That's fine if that's how you like to play it. But my group has consistently shown again and again to prefer milestones. As out of combat experience is just as arbitrary as awarding milestones. Monsters are the only set rule.

gold=EXP is even more shit.

Again, milestones in the vast majority of cases level up players faster than exp rules do. My players generally look at what they accomplished last session and decide for themselves how well they felt they did based on their choices in and out of combat. They don't need a number that confirms this for them.

>"Oh yes! I did 1000 good today! Sweet!"
>"Well, I did 1200 good, Billy. Step it up."

Having a party at the same level as each other is generally something the entire table prefers and it also makes my life easier. No one likes to be the only person who doesn't get to level up.

>Aha! Fuck you Billy. Thief better next time.

But at the end of the day, this is just my and my table's preference. Feel free to do things how you want.

>You can do the same by saying that players can't level up until they have downtime, though. To study their experiences from a dungeon, make notes, do training or spend their downtime returning to rework what they learnt from the experience, or to just generally revise things.
Dungeons are the field trips from that persepctive.
?
Seems you completely missed the point of that post.
>>
>>51214843
>>51214790
Paladins DO empower themselves. It doesn't matter to whom the Oath is sworn. It is the Paladin's own conviction, the tenacity with which they hold themselves to the tenets of their Oath, that brings forth their inner divinity.
>>
>>51214855
>>51214889
but by that logic any old fighter can gain healing light and the holy energy to smite their enemies by being angry enough to swear an oath of vengeance to their girlfriend.

Also many channel divinity's do require you to use your holy symbol

Besides, if a paladin gets their power from their oaths how do level 1 and 2 paladins have powers before swearing the oath that binds them as a paladin.
>>
>>51214560
>Really, as above, the main difference is that players have a gauge that tells them their progress, and the DM can always give slight leeway.

The slight gauge IS milestones you dunce.
>Looks like we're about to face down a dragon. We'll probably level up after that.

Don't argue about being arbitrary if you're just gonna bump people up anyway. Then why even track EXP? To have a vague idea? That's fine. But then it's not definite so it hardly matters and is essentially just milestones once again.

I think to your point of lightly tracking EXP, the only real reason to do so and also be willing to give leeway is so that you don't screw your players out of levels that they "should" be gaining based on what they've fought. But I am in extreme doubt that this ever happens with those who choose milestones.
>>
>>51214999
>but by that logic any old fighter can gain healing light and the holy energy to smite their enemies by being angry enough to swear an oath of vengeance to their girlfriend.
This will be my next character background
>>
>>51215037
She was such a bitch, dude. Like.
>>
>>51215037
>after the breakup my ex became a paladin and started smiting me on a daily basis
>I don't know what to do anymore, shes insane and i'm nowhere near angry enough to swear an oath myself
>>
File: 1479322408090.jpg (92KB, 500x711px) Image search: [Google]
1479322408090.jpg
92KB, 500x711px
Why would you play a barbarian instead of a fighter?
>>
>>51214060
So they're basically only real good for casters most of the time then?

>>51214082
I probably don't need Psychic Weapon, but it's come in handy a lot in our campaign. The disciplines I'm most interested in are Celerity, Conquering Mind, Intellect Fortress, Mind Vault, Psionic Restoration, and Psionic Weapon.

I'm trying to narrow it down. If it helps, here's my party comp. Warlock, Gunslinger, Beast Master Ranger (usually ranged), Pugilist, and a Barbarian.
>>
>>51215151
Mind Over Emotion should be on that list of disciplines I'm interested in as well.
>>
>>51215142
Because raging is fun?
Also it's a big more "nature" oriented. Rather, it can be.
>>
>>51215151
I'd say yeah, a melee will be hurting a lot more than a wizard or a spellcasting bard or druid for example, simply because there are a lot of useful spells that you don't have to roll to hit for.

Though it would be real good in something like Curse of Strahd or any settings where you're not going to see the sunlight much.
>>
Story-time

>New campaign, same GM
>Only me and one other dude are carryovers from the last campaign
>Set 100-1000 years after the last campaign, in the same setting.
>Shit is still somehow medieval fantasy, don't ask so many questions.
>Apparently my new char is a descendant of my previous char.

So my previous char was this semi-insane cleric who sort of turned into the righteous fist of Pelor.

So new char:
>Half-elf
>Sage
>Cleric (I was asked to play cleric, because most of the party is newbs)
>Pick Knowledge domain.

In an effort to dissuade them from making my character the front-man of yet another party he's a stuttering wimp who wanted to be a wizard but ended up being a cleric instead and is sort of butthurt over that. Chose a build where he's basically a skill/language toolbox

Basically his bloodline was never touched by a god again after the previous guy wrecked so much havoc before now, his reluctance attracted goddamn Boccob. He's in this for the chance at lore and shit.
>>
File: thum_char_view_n_130.jpg (85KB, 656x800px) Image search: [Google]
thum_char_view_n_130.jpg
85KB, 656x800px
How do I make a spooky Stingy Jack character? I was thinking about going fiend warlock with a charlatan background.
>>
What is the best animal for Revised Ranger Animal Companion if I have the Beast bond spell?
>>
Making a Shadow Sorc. Other than Proficiency and rushing to 20 CON how can I boost my CON saves?

Multiclass is fine but ideally just a dip since I'd already feel cheesy multiclassing Shadow Sorc.
>>
File: boccob on the cob.jpg (79KB, 634x423px) Image search: [Google]
boccob on the cob.jpg
79KB, 634x423px
>>51215264
I dig it.

Are you starting at first level? What spells are you taking? Is he excited that Boccob the super knowledge man has taken interest in him? Will he multiclass into wizard later or stay cleric?
>>
>>51214999
> can't seperate fluff and mechanical stuff
You are still being 3.5e tard.

But yes, any fighter can become a paladin by dipping a level into it.
>>
What's the best way to split a Battle Master/Swashbuckler multiclass to level 7? I'm thinking 3 Battle Master, 4 Swashbuckler, or should it be the other way around? I've also thought of Battle Master/Inquisitive, is that viable?
>>
>>51215400
War Caster for advantage on Con saves for concentration.
>>
>>51215464
I'll be taking that but I'm referring specifically to the "lmao dont die" ability, which is CON check of 5+damage taken.
>>
>>51215484
Con save*
>>
>>51213721
thats not true.

with normal atributes.
15 14 13 12 10 8
A normal warlock is gonna have:
17 Charisma
19 at lvl 4
20 at lvl 8

So while using Hex, he is gonna do 1d10+5+1d6->14 dmg
4th lvl 14
5th lvl 24
11th lvl 34
17th lvl 46

A dragon Born warlock would have:
17 str 14 dex 13 con 14 CAR.
At lvl 4 18 str and Medium armor
At lvl 8 GWM
At lvl 12 Charisma 16
While using armor of agathys and darkness:
lvl 4 11 dmg + 10 if hit. [10 temp hp /down to 6 each round]
lvl 8 42 + 20 if hit (62) + 21 (83) if you kill someone [20 temp hp/ down to 10 each round]
lvl 12 48 + 25 if hit (75) +24 (99) if you kill someone [25 tem hp/down to 15 eachround]
Also at this lvl you can get fire shield.
>>
>>51215495
There's not really all that much else you can do. Maybe invest in Lucky, give yourself better odds of rolling high enough to survive?
>>
>>51215443
>Starting first level
Yes, first time running 5th ed, so the GM needs time to adjust. Also newbs.

>Spells
Haven't planned past first level for this yet. Trying to go for a mix of direct and indirect utility, plus some damage.

Cantrips:
Light, Sacred Flame, Mending
1st Level:
Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds, Detect Magic, Healing Word, Create or Destroy Water.
Plus Knowlege domain spells.

>Excited about Boccob
Only insomuch that it gives him a purpose for now. I'm leaving it as a hook for the GM. The real reason he's out adventuring is because his mother slutted it up with an elven bard, and his village is a bunch of raging racists. Victim of circumstance, basically. Boccob just gave him a goal for now.

>Multiclass
That would depend on how the GM plays the Boccob-hook. I know him fairly well so I'm expecting him to make it interesting in the end. Personally I just don't enjoy the idea of multiclassing characters though, but I guess that's really up to the character and not me.

Also I don't currently know what the other players are gonna play, so I might eventually be forced to.
>>
Multi-classing should be errata'ed out of 5th ed for very obvious balance reasons
>>
>>51215600
Shit-posting should be errata'ed out of /5eg/ for very obvious quality reasons
>>
>>51215606
it's "character development" to obviously multiclass up to certain breakpoints for munch reasons

Multiclass makes zero sense
>>
>>51215543
Guidance is a bomb cantrip and would be rather flavorful for a knowledge cleric. I'd recommend grabbing that one first level. Not having cure wounds is an interesting choice but healing word should work fine until second level when you can prepare another spell, plus it'll allow you to revive a downed teammate (which will happen often at first level) and still be able to swing your hammer or axe or take the best action in the game ie dodge action. I was just curious about mc-ing into wizard, personally I probably wouldn't because knowledge cleric is good enough for a sagey character.

Is this everyone's first time at 5e, yourself included?
>>
>>51214999
From the official organized play Adventurers League FAQ documentation:

>"Does my Paladin have to worship a Deity?"
>No. What makes you think you do? Dunno what you're talking about.
>>
File: cute ferret.jpg (15KB, 644x364px)
cute ferret.jpg
15KB, 644x364px
>>51215600
>muh balance
D&D is a self regulating system which does not need any significant inherit balance. All you need is just some basic, rough balance between martials, casters and gishes. The DM should handle the rest, he is alpha and omega. If he deems something to be overpowered, he can tone it down/apply nerfs or outright ban it. And vice versa, he can buff things either directly or indirectly by handing out items, unique backgrounds or other boons.
>>
>>51215647
I see what you're saying about guidance. I might pick if for my 4th cantrip. Seems to make more sense than having Searing Flame, but one has to pick it because combat is pretty important in this guys campaigns, generally.

I think the knowledge spell list is more than enough to cover the arcane side of spellcasting, yeah.

As far as I know this is everyones first time at 5th ed. Three of us have only done 3.5 (GM included), one is completely new to D&D and the final two I don't know. I think one of the two has played some Pathfinder.
>>
File: pr.png (937KB, 776x795px) Image search: [Google]
pr.png
937KB, 776x795px
>>51214999
>>51215719
Weebshit powers of Habeeb should not exist. Make worship an obligatory part of being a paladin/cleric.
>>
>>51215600
>implying 99% of players powergame
>implying prestige classes weren't the worst aspect of previous editions
>>
>>51215837
>PrC are bad
I keep seeing people parrot this opinion but I never understood whats the reasoning behind this.
What's wrong with more variety?
>>
>>51215932
wizards scrapped prestige classes because 5e multilclassing offered even more variety
>>
>>51215788
Ebin post, banks for contrbbuting :^)
>>
>>51215955
>3.5e has multiclassing and prestige classes.
>4e has multiclassing and Paragon paths.
>5e has multiclassing only.
>5e has more variety.

???
>>
>>51215752
Ive never been a huge fan of sacred flame because at low levels your spell save is pretty low so its a bit unreliable to hit, and only does 1d8 plus nothing for damage, so even when it does hit it might be for only two. Having at will radiant damage isn't bad though. From experience guidance has always been value-town for me, and the party members always appreciate it. But taking it fourth level is ok too.

In low level when you don't have spells to spare, if you don't have sacred flame your light xbow or sling and shield if you want that AC would work fine at range. Guess it'd depend on your str and dex scores and whether or not you want to get up close and personal without heavy armor for what you'd do in combat. If you don't have piss poor strength you could even grapple or shove someone prone, crowd control is always valuable.
>>
>>51216050
>3.5 has trap options and trap options
ftfy
>>
>>51216146
Yeah, well at least it didn't have moving goalposts
>>
>>51213068
Don't play above level 10 and it's one of the best. Don't play fighter and it's always competitive.
>>
>>51215955
>5e multilclassing offered even more variety
How so?
When you multiclass, it means that you have to start from the very bottom of the class you're multiclassing into as if you were a level 1 bitch. There is only a handful of classes in 5e that have actually synergizing class features like pal-lock. Graduating into a PrC is a whole another level. A prestige class can afford being more "epic" and have flavour that would not otherwise fit a level 1 PC, not to mention that certain PrCs used to be tied to quite specifiv prerequisites. Also casters can keep their spell progression/increase the level of their slots, while martials get other benefits.
Look at the Rune Scribe PrC, did it really break the game? It was underpowered even, in my opinion.
>>51216146
>everything that's not tier one is a trap option
>>
>>51216168
But are trap options really variety?
>>51216196
>implying
There are rampant trap options no matter how you play
>>
>>51214999
Yes they can. Welcome to the wonderful world that is multiclassing
Paladins enact the force of their will/conviction/whatever to do magical shit
>>
>>51216050
>5e has multiclassing only.
What are Archetypes
>>
If someone in your group wants to play a gun slinging cowboy do you make them use the handcross bow refluffed as a pistol or do you use the 2d6 piercing weapon in the dmg?

And does the class they play affect your choice.

If you allow pistols do you then rejig the setting to make pistols common or what?
>>
>>51210208
>>
So can high level martials.. do cool things?

A samurai in my group has a wandering master that trained him when he was young - then left him to wonder and hone his skills. I decided to make the Samurai quite powerful and famous - lvl 15+

I wanted to confront him as a kind of test of strength, and kind of do "wind/shockwave attacks" so that he doesn't straight up murder the level 6 samurai

I don't think that's a thing.
>>
>>51216594
What
>>
>>51216594
Not in 5e
But if you are willing to brew some stuff in your campaign, go look at the 4e martials
They do some cool stuff
>>
>>51216594
NPCs can do whatever the DM wants them to.
>>
>>51216594
How many levels of anime are you on right now, you fucking weeb?
>>
>>51210208
Is there any french players willing to help me?
I will DM the mines of phandelver for a group of friends but they aren't really english friendly
Is there a place where I can look for traduction/localisation of the set or even just discuss and look at what other DM did with it, in french obviously
I know it's not really the place to ask but I didn't find anything close to /tg/
I already start some trad myself but I would gain a considerable amount of time and could directly start to prepare my campaign instead
Thanks
>>
>>51216776
>weeb

I thought I could illustrate a difference between a lvl 6 and 17 without relying on just damage numbers.

Like combat starting - due to his superior dex he had initiative - dashed, then attacked by swinging a two handed sword near his body and did force damage, and 5 ft knockback or prone.
>>
>>51216533
>Aegis
>If that creature is wearing
magical armor use this bonus or the bonus provided by
the armor, whichever is higher.
>>
>>51216533
Im new so please correct me if im wrong, but isnt this class abit too strong?

It certainly seems OP with how you can stack AC and damage early.
>>
File: 1482502201291.jpg (25KB, 480x474px) Image search: [Google]
1482502201291.jpg
25KB, 480x474px
Making a Crusader Zealot Barbarian.

What's the "best" way to go about sword n' board for a Barbarian? Shield Master seems like a good choice for bashing fuckers to the ground.
>>
>>51216858
The Mystic Mark feature can be removed for other bonuses so I think it works out okay.
>>
>>51216888
The shadow ability allows you to swap out spells for additional attacks, without doing anything special they can pump out 6d6+48 damage by spending a 5th level spell.

Assuming you took the feat that allows you to take Hex thats pumped up to 12d6+48

I donno, I think having +AC is pretty hardcore.

Maybe im wrong though.
>>
>>51216927
The shadow ability I can see being a bit OP especially when multiclassing, but aside from that being able to push out a large degree of damage once is okay to me. And to me the AC/Magic Weapon bonus can be on the line of good or useless depending on how the DM handles magic weapons and armor, and how far the game goes in levels.
>>
>>51216882

Do you got a guy in the party with GWM that can abuse the enemy being knocked prone and ensure he hits those -5/+10 strikes? Because thats the best way to run that. You work similarly to a monk and you hit for moderately good damage while moving quickly and knocking guys on their ass with a shield thanks to rage advantage
>>
>>51214957
I don't even know myself

But the gist is that there's a spectrum of 'arbitrary' to 'ordered', and you sound like you really don't like the ordered side of things.

There is no 'best way' to do things. It depends who what sort of an adventure you're doing.

For a dungeoncrawling group whose miain goal is loot, gold for exp rewards the solely for the thing they're supposed to be doing. It discourages 'attacking monsters just for the heck of it' and gives an accurate measurement of how well you've done. That number can be used for comparisons, 'Oh, we got more money this time. I suppose it's because we found that secret room.' or 'It's because we not only solved that puzzle but fucked it over and stole the gems from that statue, and because we killed that one sidemonster guarding treasure'. Naturally everybody presumably gets shared EXP if that's wanted.

Then, milestones is unordered and works better for campaigns where each character has different goals or it's hard to clearly define something the players deserve to get rewarded for. There's no 'item of success' to claim. It's like boasting of your deeds in a tavern for exp. Players can do whatever they like and still get rewarded for it, as long as it's rewardworthy.
Yet, you're down to the scrutiny of your DM more than before, and honestly to some people it feels less like a reward and more like it's part of a scripted story's milestone point.

Some people enjoy being able to track success in numbers, honestly.
>>
Was checking out Rune Scribe and
>While you are attuned to this rune, you cannot suffocate or drown, and you gain advantage on saving throws against poisonous gases, inhaled poisons, and similar effects
why'd you even breathe then?
>>
>>51217027
Natural instinct?
>>
Have you ever heard of a houserule like this? How do you think it would work?

>Instead of regaining all your HP during a long rest, you spend hit dice to heal during a long rest. At the end of the rest you regain half of your maximum hit dice, as normally.
>>
>>51217004
>>51214957
Post overflow.

So, I'd think of it as a matter of how your DM plays it.
With 5e, most people play it in a style where milestones would be appropriate. However, if you want to play it in the style where players are co-op against the DM's dungeons and all of that in a merciless off-the-rails campaign with a clear overall goal of 'we're going to get rich from dungeoneering', goldexp is totally fine and for people interested in a combat-spelunking-puzzling game it can be a lot of fun. Naturally, it was more popular in older editions where this was more the case.
>>
>>51217033
Plug your nose then, breathing in a cloudkill doesn't sound like a good idea when you don't even have to.
You'll sound funny though.
>>
>>51217045
That's more or less a variant in the DMG (Slow Natural Healing). I use it in all my games and it works well.
>>
>>51217045
I don't know. Sounds like you're just promoting healers even more. It'd be practically required to have people who can heal.

I mean it's not bad if you're fine with that, but I'd personally advocate for the opposite 'fighting spirit' style system which actually makes healing less important in-combat since people won't go down.
>>
dunno how lame this sounds, was going to make a campaign based off of all 4 player's stories.

>Created for war, this construct became dormat and awoke many years later. Became wandering samurai pondering existence.
>Artificer gnome, killed tyrant baron and fled city, is being pursued
>Firbolg barbarian, an outcast for being so violent already, he was the first scapegoat and exiled for several murders.
>Tiefling warlock, an officer in an army, his fiendish patron betrayed him by playing two sides in a war he lost, where he lost everything. Is currently secretly pursuing a way to get revenge in his adventures.

I'd have the villain be a right hand to the fiendish patron of the warlock, and is an expaladin construct that awoke in the woods, slaughtered many firbolgs that caused the barbarian to be exiled, and is currently hunting the artificer who killed a local baron that was under the patron's influence.

I figured this would be a good tie in for character growth, what do you guys think?
>>
>>51217106
Honestly sounds kind of silly to me. Too much
>oh, he just so happens to be your greatest enemy

Though I'm sure it'll be fine if it's introduced and explained properly.

I think they deserve more of a 'where is our place in the world' adventure, and they could meet various people who explain the different problems with the world along the way. They could meet an ancestor for whoever constructed the robots, they could meet a gnomish politician, they could meet some other politicians too and maybe slowly find out that one guy is causing them all problems indirectly, even if he doesn't just so happen to be the direct cause of their problems. Say, instead of just straight-up killing firbolgs and blaming it on somebody else, they might be some sort of a 'master race' kind of freak who wants firbolgs out of a city because he's worried about the minorities getting up in arms (but the firbolgs dying was actually an accident caused due to that), the robots were mobilized for the purpose of eliminating dissenting citizens and races already branded as 'bad' only for them to be planned to be scrapped later and only more tyrants will be put into ruling if an old one dies because of how things work and the fact that he can just appoint a new one. Then, the deal with the war is they were working with the fiendish patron to annihilate both sides of the fight and weaken them for later.

Basically less CyberNinjaFuckedYourMom, more TotalitarianNaziPolitician
>>
>>51217180
This is a chapter/side quest campaign kind of thing, they are already level 9.

well in my mind, it is kind of indirect.

the expaladin - of treachery - who has pact/alliance with this fiend. He was awoken by the patron due to him being hate/malice filled prior to going dormant, and slaughtered random firbolgs in a forest village. The barbarian was blamed for it, though the expaladin and barbarian never meet until now. The expaladin then becomes a kind of enforcer for the patron, and is hunting the gnome for undermining his master's plans. The warlock knows the expaladin is allied to his patron, and is once again playing both sides, the expaladin does not know this. The samurai construct has a certain amount of animosity toward the expaladin since they were obviously constructed by the same maker, and the expaladin expresses his disgust over how inferior the barbarian is.
>>
Bump limit reached, new thread:
>>51217315
>>51217315
>>
>>51217305
Ask Gandalf's help
>>
Making a Sword-and-Board Paladin, using Rapier for style reasons.

Should I go 16 Strength and use fullplate, or Should I go 16 Dexterity and use halfplate, possibly picking up Medium-Armour-Master later.
>>
File: p6s2tvSIEtrU20dm5Sa.gif (448KB, 1204x748px) Image search: [Google]
p6s2tvSIEtrU20dm5Sa.gif
448KB, 1204x748px
>>51215142
Why does that girl look so familiar...

Wait a minute...
Thread posts: 359
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.