[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 52

File: fuck you kid.jpg (14KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you kid.jpg
14KB, 300x222px
>Player refuses to partisan player knowledge and character knowledge
>Constantly references and utilizes facts the character would have no way of knowing
>Usually results in every character they play being the exact same

Even fucking worse when they're the DM.
>>
>>51207638
I don't think that's what "partisan" is supposed to mean.
>>
>>51207672
I think he meant partition.
>>
>>51207638
>Player refuses to partisan player knowledge

what

what the fuck does partisan mean as a verb
>>
>>51207672

Reeks of smartphone typing.
>>
>>51207672
>>51207638

Pretty sure they just meant partition. Partisan can either be a noun or adjective rather than a verb.
>>
>>51207710
I would imagine it's similar as with most other nouns used as verbs. So "to perform a partisan activity".

What does it mean in this context though, I have no idea. Maybe to vigilantly undermine yourself IC with the OOC knowledge? Sort of like reverse metagaming.
>>
>>51207710
similar to the meaning of knife, hammer, or ranseur as a verb
>>
File: 1467735790.jpg (26KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
1467735790.jpg
26KB, 638x359px
>I walk over to the Elf, a hand on my sword ready just in case, I bow my head then ask if he has se-
>I ASK THE KNIFE-EAR IF HE HAS SEEN THE MAN WE ARE LOOKING FOR.
>>
File: Fl8kPTA.jpg (342KB, 597x900px) Image search: [Google]
Fl8kPTA.jpg
342KB, 597x900px
>Upon seeing the Orc who raped his city My bard drops his lute, draws his longsword and charges in an uncontrollable rage

>Hold on a sec. you should just stick to casting your spells. Think about it. You have 9 strength and several spell slots left. The warrior tank could benefit the party much more if you cast some cures and buffs on him instead of going to the front line yourself

>I get that but my bard is pretty pissed an he would definitely do this thing

>Yea but that's not what the PARTY needs right now.

Then I'm the one who feels like "that guy" because I made my bard charge anyways, even after the rest of the group agreed.
>>
>>51208241
>the Orc who raped his city

Would they not already be dead from exhaustion?
>>
>>51207947
I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
>CN
>"No guys, I'm totally with the party, I'll always be at your aid!"
>At the first chance of danger he flees
>At the first damage he gets he wastes turns drinking potions till he's full healt again
>Rolles damage dealers
>Gets angry when another player rolls a damage dealer because that guy doesn't deal damage
>>
>>51208520
>anon never raped a city before

Puh-lease! Raping a city is just a light workout.
>>
>>51207638
>Player spends more time arguing for argument's sake than actually playing the game.
>Sulks like a bitch when everyone tells him to shut the hell up.

>Group takes a break to order food.
>THAT GUY orders food but doesn't pay his share or help with the tip.

>THAT GUY obnoxiously goes on about how powerful/invincible/fast/etc. his character is.
>Goes nuclear if the GM exploits his weaknesses or hits him with something that reduces his strengths.

>Makes a new character on a whim.
>Doesn't wait for the GM to introduce the new character to us.
>Gets pissy when nobody in the party trusts them when they just walk up to the group and start blurting out OoC information.

>Same player as above distracts from game and interrupts the GM when he's busy helping another player with an important action for the mission.
>Interruptions cause every action to take twice as long.
>Later, the mission is complete but we're halfway through campaign.
>Gets pissy and claims that we took too long.
>>
>>51207638
Sounds like a person I play with. Plus:

>verbal diarrhea IC. Literally can't shut up while giving all our secrets and being rude to every single sapient being, including other players
>makes combat oriented characters, but prefer to hide behind other players
>hogging the spot just to make somebody else solve the problem, and claim it as his own as loud as possible
>You did all job, but it was MY idea, I deserve extra xp, not you!
>>
File: b04.jpg (223KB, 800x857px) Image search: [Google]
b04.jpg
223KB, 800x857px
>>51207638

A short one:

>GM: "So why don't you go ahead and describe your player to the group."
>TG: "Weeeeell he looks like a Charisma 5."
>>
>>51209671

>makes combat oriented characters, but prefer to hide behind other players

Tolerable with ranged fighters or certain fragile builds. What happens if you throw him into combat alone?
>>
>>51208542
You should be gassed. If somebody waits for his turn to speak and is doing so, you don't shout over in your retard voice the exact same thing another character is doing.
>>
>>51212106
Sorry, I didn't interpret the post like that, I interpreted it as player B being racist to elves. It wasn't readily apparent that the complaint here was interruption, at least not to me. Maybe if there was a line like

>Alright player A, what do you say to the elf?

Then yeah, I can see the anger is justified. Here, though, it's just a bit confused.
>>
File: snorting-baby-powder.jpg (49KB, 500x664px) Image search: [Google]
snorting-baby-powder.jpg
49KB, 500x664px
>He rolls up a Barbarian
>"I attempt a backstab"
>Buddy, that's a THIEF. You'd be better off taking them on from the front with your axe.
>"Oh, ok."
>He dual-classes into Thief at 3rd level
>Now charges head on at enemies with his axe
>>
>>51212312
>"I attempt a bAXEtab"
You misheard him.
>>
>>51207638
>be DMing
>our group's 4th campaign together since we started.
>Throw a troll encounter at them. Similiar to our first campaign.
>that guy says "I attack the troll with my torch"
>I point out that he is metagaming and using player knowledge to do something his character wouldn't normally do.
>he shrugs and continues with the fight, sulks the rest of the evening.

That guys am I right?
>>
>>51213038

On the face of it he is metagaming.

However it might be common folklore in the setting that trolls are vulnerable to fire. Same as how everyone knows Vampires hate crucifixes and garlic IRL. You could have made him roll a knowledge skill or mental stat, or just let it slide as using common knowledge.

Metagamers are usually sulkers. Faced with trolls, metagamers will say passive-aggressive things like "so how many spell slots do I waste on non-fire spells so it doesn't count as metagaming, huh DM?" as if you're vindictively denying them something they're entitled to do. Metagamers have a mindset of wanting to 'beat' DnD, that's why they do it.

IMO the best way around this kind of thing is to use rare or original monsters with weaknesses the players can't metagame even if they want to, because they don't know them.
>>
>>51212202
Then I apologize, I shall make all efforts to prevent you from being gassed. But yes, racism is going to crop up in games with problems between races, that I do not mind.
>>
>>51207672
Parmesan. They meant parmesan. The guy is just hungry.
>>
>>51208241
Wow, what a bunch of fags.
>>
>>51208520
If he was a bitch maybe.

>he never joined in on a weekly city rape session
>>
>>51213195
Hell yeah.

Personally I get put off if the DM wants me to pretend to be stupid in a troll fight but like you said "the best way around this kind of thing is to use rare or original monsters with weaknesses the players can't metagame even if they want to, because they don't know them."

We can never solve the troll fight again like when we were first played. But we can have new monsters and encounters to solve.

To go further with what you said the best way to help curb metagaming (the detrimental kind) is to reinforce immersion.
>>
>Have new players joining my game
>Bard and a druid
>Players walk into a caravan
>Have new players work as guards
>Describe the job as dead end
>Druid wild shapes into a wolf and attacks the caravan leader
>Everyone tries to stop her and fights her off
>Argues about it for a few hours as I try to clean up the mess and move the story along

The bard just wanted to find his family
>>
>>51213195
You really can't complain about metagaming in D&D. It's always been a system dominated by odd mechanics, nonsensical settings, and DM screwjobs. I think D&D is at its best when you just turn it into a high-lethality dungeon crawl boardgame and just restart with new characters if someone dies.

Honestly, I think the best way to run an immersive real role-playing campaign is to first settle on a realistic, loose system (you want impartiality from the dice, so there's real uncertainty about the outcomes of chancy actions like getting in a fight, while you need the freedom to interpret the outcome so it makes sense in the situation) and don't let the players see any numbers. Do have them keep character sheets to track inventory and plain-English descriptions of attributes and conditions between sessions (like when you've got a wound). It's not a bad idea to start from a Narnia-type concept, where the PCs are from the real world, or have them come from especially ignorant or sheltered backgrounds, so there's a reason for them to ask people how the world works.

Things that make a good immersive system:
- natural decision-making, rather than mechanical considerations like hit points
- strict separation of player and GM roles: the players decide nothing but the choices of their characters
- characters living very unusual lives have very unusual motivations (i.e. trying to get out of the world, rather than trying to live in it)
- ecology and society that make sense
- serious hostile encounters are rare and exciting in the lives of the characters, and even more rarely best solved by fighting to the death (realistic predators will retreat when their intended prey puts up more of a fight than expected, intelligent attackers will typically accept surrender to avoid the risk of combat, primitive territory defenders will often escalate hostilities cautiously starting with intimidation and parlay and will pursue and harry to chase away rather than to actually catch)
>>
>>51213038
Plot twist: fire makes these trolls grow to twice their size
>>
>>51214773
Obvious player response: set the DM on fire.
>>
>>51214859
>Dm is a actually a troll in disguise
>>
>>51207638
*partition.
>>
>>51214859
If my players are going to try and cheat by using meta knowledge in encounters I'm going to fuck them in holes they didn't know they had
>>
File: IMG_3425.jpg (228KB, 828x1100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3425.jpg
228KB, 828x1100px
>Hey GM can my next character be a gryphon?
>>You mean like a beast tamer or a Ranger with a gryphon as an animal companion.
>No. An actual gryphon and I'll fly around shooting sorcerer spells or some shit.
>>
>>51207638
I loved this in my most resent game I left.
> Totally normal Forgotten Realms world
> Finds a door with a tentacle face on it
> Get back to town and an NPC starts talking about how it must be related to the mind flayers and Cthulhu like it's totally normal
>Players say they know exactly what he's talking about and then has a normal conversation about the Great Old Ones and aliens.
>I describe my character as incredibly confused by the nonsense that they're speaking
>The're all confused by my confusion and try to explain the Great Old Ones to me/my character

That was my last session. Earlier in that session, they also got really on my case about not wanting to go into a pit that we really had no incentive to go into that many creatures have died in.
>>
>>51215070
I did this once, or at least something close. I just played an animal companion (dire ferret) with its owner missing, and had the missing 'owner' only take feats and class options that made the companion better.

It turned out pretty well; Spaz Weasel was the party mascot. 8/10 would recommend for trying something new.
>>
>>51215034
Tis true, though. How are we supposed to avoid something we already know? I suggest a knowledge check for things they MIGHT know, but otherwise, it's a little wierd to deal with. Best thing to do is use custom varients of these creatures; in this world, trolls are weak to acid.
>>
>>51215257
I would definitely do knowledge checks on monsters but it's when the power gamer thinks they've outsmarted me and just assumed they know everything about my world that I make things hard on them
>>
>>51215070
Eh, I'd allow it. I like games with weird PCs. Better not get salty when the party stops at a tavern and the owner doesn't let the large gryphon inside, though, expect downsides to playing a beast.
>>
>>51215034
It's stupid, though. What kind of game are you playing if you tell the players not to apply tactically-relevant knowledge they have?

If you want to do amateur theater, do amateur theater. If you want to do collaborative storytelling, don't use a system where you're constantly rolling dice to see whether the players win or everyone's good time is ruined instead.

D&D was designed around players using their knowledge of the game that their characters wouldn't have. It's too crazy for them not to. You can't get anywhere in this game without the knowledge that you need a quiver full of arrows to kill an unarmored ogre (even though in the real world, you can kill an elephant with a single one), any exceptionally ugly people are inherently evil monsters, if you piss off a world-class wizard he can just cast one spell to find out where you are and another to be there, there are whole worlds full of beings with comparable power, ridiculously elaborate traps exist and work flawlessly after centuries without maintenance, and literally anything -- the floor, the ceiling, a wall, the slime on the wall, the stalactites, the air, the ground, the water, a tree, a statue, an item of clothing, the furniture, the farmer's daughter -- can actually be something waiting with insane patience in a place that makes no sense, to murder you when you're not looking.
>>
File: 1482988532578.gif (160KB, 253x232px) Image search: [Google]
1482988532578.gif
160KB, 253x232px
>>51212106
>>51212202
>>51213205
> WHAT ARE YOU ADVOCATING BEING RUDE??

> :/ Naw i was just tryina be racist..

> Oh...well..then carry on!

God I love /tg/
>>
>>51215548
>racist
>to an imaginary elf
>>
>>51208805
>Gets pissy when nobody in the party trusts them when they just walk up to the group and start blurting out OoC information.

This sounds less like dedicated roleplaying and more like dedication to the idea of dedicated roleplaying. But really you're just being jackasses. Unless there are a bunch of details I don't know that would change it, like how long the game's been going, or something.
>>
>>51215548
It's the difference between being racist IC, and being a dick IRL.
>>
>>51213339
The thing is, as much as it is condoned, pretending to be stupid is only fun if it's for laughs. It's not so fun to be in peril and be told to fuck your shit up because "your character doesn't know that". I'll do it, but with a fucking sigh. It's not clever, it's not dramatic irony, it's annoying. AVOID that situation, don't glorify it.
>>
File: 1483240379309.jpg (15KB, 235x260px) Image search: [Google]
1483240379309.jpg
15KB, 235x260px
>>51215616
> 14 yrold trying to be contradictory for the sake of being contradictory.
I said "racist" because I was using a direct quote from TWO of the three comments I was replying to.

Im just singing the praises of /tg/ stop trying to piss on the fire.
>>
>>51208574
desu I love the chaotic neutral party leech-type character.

you know you can just kill them, right?
>>
>>51215034
That's not cheating, you fuck. Choose, it is a game you wish them to play or mechanics you wish them to use to resolve roleplay. You can have both, but if you're playing a game, it's your job not to put them in situations they know how to deal with. It's not cheating to just choose what you want your character to do.
>>
>>51215654
So here's the context
>Play SR and one of the players decides to retire his character.
>Another player (who I'll call Snowflake) decides to introduce another character as well.
>Okay, whatever, not that big a deal.
>Meanwhile, me and two other players are busy with a mission, which was basically burn down some mobster's restaurant.
>I'm a mage and I'm armed with fire spirits.
>Another guy is an adept whose there for protection.
>Last guy is playing a technomancer for the first time and is busy trying to disable cameras and security and shit like that.
>During the mission, he has his new character enter the restaurant on a whim and walk towards us.
>Never met Snowflake's new character in person.
>First thing she says boils down to "so I know your friend is a technomancer."
>Snowflake then gets pissy when we act rude and tell their new character to GTFO.
IIRC, this was during the third session.
>>
>>51208241
If you're playing because you like RP, then you absolutely made the right choice. If your group just likes rolling dice and having enemies die, you may want to shop around for a group that fits with your playstyle a bit more.
>>
>>51208241
I feel your pain, friend.
>>
>>51215034
1: your fault for throwing repetitive challenges at them
2: it's reasonable that someone might know that trolls are weak to fire in-game. has nobody in civilization ever defeated a troll? do a knowledge check.
>>
My personal peeve is when a player describes what they want to happen and then gets pissy when the dice/rules don't cooperate.

>Player makes a strong melee character
>Goes on and on about how strong and muscular and imposing he is
>One time, interacting with mob enforcer, almost as big as the PC
>Player fails intimidation, can't intimidate mob enforcer
>Player goes: "Alright, I shove him and send him flying across the room"
>Ok, roll for it
>Roll dice, do math, turns out he only managed to shove the enforcer a step back
>Player throws a shitfit about how his character is so strong and should be able to send everyone flying and how this is bullshit and no-fun-allowed
>Sulks the rest of the session

This shit get on my nerves. Players don't get to decide the consequences of their actions.
>>
>>51216145
Agreed. He rolled badly, he doesn't push him back very far. Fair is fair.
>>
Our That Guy happens to be the GM
>have side convo with buddy who I haven't seen in a while during down time at a session while something on the side I'm not involved in is happening
>DM makes us roll a reflex save
>Says we got struck by lightning for talking about a board game not related to what we were playing

Fucking why? He's made this campaign last far longer than it should have because of his shitty story telling and really bad railroading.
>went into a shop to get a better weapon after he and buddy recommended I get a better weapon since mine were really outlevelled
>get inside and tell him I what I'm looking for
>forced outside, didn't get to buy that double barrel that I wanted, and if thats not the worst part, he lets his grill walk all over him during session.
>>
>>51215034
I'd weigh it against how common trolls are in the setting.
Them and ogres are kinda the staple large threatening humanoids.
>>
>>51208241
Have you tried not playing a game with that much role importance?
>>
File: Charisma_Goblins.png (961KB, 1499x381px) Image search: [Google]
Charisma_Goblins.png
961KB, 1499x381px
>>51209815
>>
>>51208241
>but its WHAT MY CHARACTER WOULD DO

That Guy spotted
>>
>>51209815
>GM: "So why don't you go ahead and describe your player to the group."
>TG: "Weeeeell she looks like a HB7, maybe a HB9 if you're drunk"
>>
>>51218340
Are you actually trying to claim that roleplaying makes you a That Guy? Acting in character is what you're supposed to do, it's just that Those Guys often use it as an excuse for really dumb shit. Acting in irrational, less than optimal ways is not bad or disruptive behavior, especially if you don't do it consistently but in some specific situation where it makes sense for our character.
>>
>>51208241
I mean, when you have the power to blast someone into their component atoms with powerful magic, pulling out a sword you're totally incompetent with actually doesn't seem justifiable.

I don't care how mad I am at Muhammad Ali, I'm not going to try to win a fistfight with him if I'm already holding a loaded gun.
>>
>>51218458
>bard
>blast someone into their component atoms
>>
>>51218465
They've got damaging spells. He also didn't specify edition or level, so for all I know his bard could very well have high-level wizard spells of fuck-your-shit-up on his spell list.
>>
>>51218471
You can assume through context that he probably didn't.
>>
>>51218479
They've got fucking cantrips that deal damage. Your argument is shit.
>>
>>51218427
Doing something disruptive is absolutely That Guy.

This situation is no different to the party rogue trying to steal from the king, or the barbarian killing random NPCs.
>>
>>51218487
A cantrip that does a bit of damage is never going to compare to shoving a sword in his gut. I'd agree with you if he could immolate the orc with a fireball or something, but in his rage, the sword would seem like a better option.

To borrow your Muhammad Ali example, if you had a knife and a bb gun, I don't think you'd sit there plinking away with 6mm plastic pellets.
>>
>>51218488
It really depends on the temperature of the group toward the action.

It is a role play point, but it does disrupt somewhat.

Though, with my group and my GMing style, I'd actually give him a one time access to the rage class feature for the fight.

Had a similar thing going in a different game. Character had a murdered parent backstory and was playing a monk/druid. The barbarian had died helping them try to kill her backstory nemesis. (They had some debate beforehand on if even attempting was a good idea, and left it to a roll.)

They were defeated, the party captured. Everyone got some boon during the downtime. (Winged kobold boltslinger got a full fly speed, sorcerer who's rp was a random appearance change one bad rolls got a floating +2 bonus.) This monk/druid got a +2, and would eventually get access to the rage class power at HD progression because that barbarian was going to basically become her spirit animal.
>>
>>51218488
Of course it is different. We're not talking about making enemies or starting unnecessary fights, we're talking about attacking someone who already is an enemy in a suboptimal way. It is completely different. And no, doing something as "disruptive" as this is not being a That Guy. If PCs always act like perfectly logical automatons, it's safe to asume your group is shit. Hell, even conflict withing the party has its place - some of the best role-playing experiences I've had have been related tensions with other party members.
>>
>>51218570
Some people want to play the game as an optimization puzzle, but yeah I'd say at that point the roleplay aspects are pretty light. Different strokes.
>>
>>51218488
>Doing something disruptive is absolutely That Guy.
It certainly can be.

>This situation is no different to the party rogue trying to steal from the king, or the barbarian killing random NPCs.
So you actually believe this, or are you just arguing?

To put it another way, is there a justifiable reason for a PC to ever take an action counter to the needs of the group, perhaps because it's what their character would do?
>>
>>51218600
Fair enough, people play role-playing games for different reasons, and it was an exaggeration to call a group focused on effectively and efficiently winning encounters shit. It might just be that the tastes of the anon who posted that story are different from his group, in which case neither side is necessarily in the wrong.
>>
>>51218622
I can get that type of play, but would then prefer the fiction to match it i.e. the characters are a band of brothers fighting for the greater good or something like that.
>>
>>51216307
It sounds like you deserved it, talking about something not related to the game when something is happening that doesn't involve your character is rude and disruptive desu.
GM shouldn't have thrown a lightning bolt at you but you're partially to blame
>>
>>51208241
your bard charged an orc who raped an entire city on his own?
>>
File: fuck you peggle.gif (2MB, 409x398px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you peggle.gif
2MB, 409x398px
>'That Guy' GM
>Party has an extended dick around gab-session or forgets the plot
>an NPC materializes regardless of our location
>Is 100% up to date with who we are and the plot so far
>starts trying to very unsubtley shove us back into main story
>If we ignore he starts following us and trying to chauffeur us back
>becomes louder and more insistent
>He's also unkillable

The GM also raises DCs challenge whatever the strongest player in the group in that particular stat, making it impossible for any other players
>>
>>51219960
>talking about something not related to the game when something is happening that doesn't involve your character is rude and disruptive desu.
Like hell it is. If you can talk without shouting, it's perfectly fine to have conversations on the side. If your character is witnessing whatever happens, you shold pay attention, but if your character isn't even present, there is nothing wrong with talking about something else.
>>
>that guy who joins the thieves guild in a wood elf town that specializes in stealing the freshest produce
>gets all pouty when we join the guards
>he starts conspiring with the thieves guild in the middle of the bandit dungeon
>wants to keep weapon crates we're retrieving for the quest
>rolls 1 on deception when we're turning in stolen weapons to the guard captain
>since he was keeping track of the loot he decides to keep it all after he gets sent to jail for two weeks
>"Lol it's because I'm CN"
>mfw

How do I discreetly kill another player's character?
>>
>>51221198
poison, hire an assassin, hire Tucker's Kobolds
>>
>>51221373
anon he said he wanted him discreetly killed, not ripped to shreds, don't refer him to the kobolds
>>
>>51215070
>"Hey GM do you allow third party?"
>"Sure thing, just let me see it first"
>"Hey GM can I get improved familiar with my wizard?"
>"If you have the feats for it then why not?"
>Approaches me after the game with a book
>He wants to get a unicorn form my little pony as his new familiar
>Not only is it out of place its also OP as fuck
>He essentially gets to play two wizards with their own set of prepped spells per day
>>
>>51221583
Maybe it IS an actual wizard, it just decided to use the "Find familiar" spell to travel to the surface. Turns out it some aboleth or alien that doesn't really know that much about the surface world and is color blind.
>>
>That guy that literally needs to loot EVERY SINGLE thing even though he can't use 90% of it.
>Said guy wants it all "just because'"

I hate that guy
>>
>>51222946

>Steals from the party
>Sulks when he's caught
>>
>>51208805
I GMed for #3. It was pretty annoying but I gotta say, the satisfaction of wiping that smug look off his face was worth it.
>>
>>51208805
>tip
>>
>>51213245
Hungry for information.
>>
>>51218488
Yeah. Nah. You're a dumb asshole.
>>
File: 1472762176408.jpg (12KB, 218x258px) Image search: [Google]
1472762176408.jpg
12KB, 218x258px
>>51212106
Because it's far better to let him finish his sentence and THEN tell GM that my character interrupted his character mid-sentence.
>>
>>51220191
Your GM is bad. Good GMs will force you onto the tracks without you even noticing.
>>
>>51215471
>even though in the real world, you can kill an elephant with a single one
>killing elephant with a single projectile
>an arrow at that

nigger you fucking what
do you have ANY idea how tough it is to kill an elephant?
do you know what an elephant gun is?
>>
>>51219984
Not the entire population residing there.

The city.

Let that sink in
>>
>>51226054
Elephants, like most other animals, are easy as fuck to kill. They're just difficult to kill in a timely fashion.
>>
File: DS_2011_06_10a1.jpg (2MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
DS_2011_06_10a1.jpg
2MB, 3504x2336px
I have a problem with a sort of that guy, but it's forgivable since its his first time in a full campaign, but i still want to teach him its wrong.( I've played a few full campaigns and know mostly what table etiquette is and stuff)
He just has a problem of always taking his turn outside of combat and never really letting anyone else do things, and inside combat he tells people what they should do and shit.
>In a fight with a bugbear and a few goblins
>Our barbarian who is an absolute madman cleaves 4 goblins in half but is now vulnerable to the bug bear.
>That guy who is a ranger tells me that I should run and shield the barb and then heal him as well as telling other people what they should do on their turns as well.
>Tell him I'll play my character and he kind of looks annoyed.
He is even worse outside of combat as every npc or event he immediately speaks up and lets no one else get a chance to talk, it also doesn't help he is a retard when it comes to npc dialogue and makes everyone hate him.
The party I'm with is a bunch of beginners and our DM is pretty new as well, so I was wondering what I should do about it. I'm going to talk to him before our next session but i was hoping maybe some of you have had this experience and could give some advice.
>>
>>51226449
Also he says we a lot like he is speaking for everyone else and will speak for the DM sometimes, not on rules and things, but describing what our party does when the DM should be.
>>
Irritating behaviors I've noticed:

>Quick to talk shit when someone else fucks up, but gets defensive when other players hold him accountable for a dumb move he made
>Thinks it's funny for his character to deliberately antagonize the other PCs when bored but tries to bullshit his way out of it when one of them tries to smack him for it
>Wants subplots for his character that inevitably split the party, but gets impatient quickly whenever something that isn't about him is going on, even when it's considerably more important to the campaign

What is it with players that roll CN characters?
>>
>>51226449
There's nothing wrong with giving advice in combat unless you want to be a stickler about talking during combat. It is a cooperative game after all.

That said, if he's getting actually salty about people not listening, then yeah he needs to stop trying to run the party.
>>
>>51226760
It's not really guiding more as every time it is someone's turn he tells then what they should do, not in a demanding way, but it just gets annoying because it feels like he's trying to play their characters.
I'm ok with advice on skills and stuff but you have to just play your own character.
>>
>>51226540

>deliberatly antagonizes other PCS
>gets impatient quickly

I don't even play dnd but that seems like something I would do.

What is a CN character?
>>
>>51223286
Yes, because you got to understand that the GM represents far more than that one specific character and could've had more description to give before you interacted with that particular character.

This also saves you from jumping the gun and earning the ire of the GM by finding out the hard way that you decided to interrupt someone who has the means to make life difficult for your character just on a whim.
>>
>>51216145
Perhaps you should ask all your players and go with the popular opinion instead of what the agreed upon rules indicate.
>>
>>51227210
Why even have rules then? Just play freeform.
>>
>>51226054
Google bow hunting, and elephants.

Its not uncommon.
>>
>>51218488
A tactically poor choice in combat is not like those things at all.
>>
>>51227286
I keep hearing people say this in relation to D&D but from personal experience, freeform is much more balanced since players can't cite rules from a 250-300 page rulebook to justify their bullshit.
>>
>>51227724
Then don't play D&D.
>>
>>51227748
I don't, haven't you been paying attention?
>>
>>51227786
Honestly, I'm not sure what you're even talking about.

I don't play D&D either, if that's what you're implying.
>>
>>51227805
You need to pay better attention.
>>
>>51227946
I have been, you were the one who brought D&D into the discussion out of nowhere.
>>
>>51228195
On /tg/, I generally assume that every THAT GUY/GM story is related to D&D unless it's stated otherwise.

In this situation, I assumed it was D&D because most games actually have ways to offset a bad roll by either adding dice or allowing for rerolls at the cost of a finite resource so a bad roll doesn't usually come up unless the player chooses to take the shitty roll, in which case, they have no right to bitch about it.
>>
>>51228381
>On /tg/, I generally assume that every THAT GUY/GM story is related to D&D unless it's stated otherwise.

Please don't
>>
>>51228408
Why not? It's where the bulk of these stories come from and I'm usually right in that it's related to D&D proper or one of its derivatives.
>>
>>51228612
You could've masturbated in the time it took you to type all that out and it probably would've been a better use of your time.

Ah well, the life of an autistic shitposter.
>>
>>51228744
>implying he didn't masturbate while typing that
>>
>>51228770
Right?

We're professional at both.
>>
>>51228744
>>51228770
I find that developing and honing my ability to identify people's bullshit is a worthy pursuit.
And I have to do something to fill the moments in between orgasms.
>>
>>51218427
'That Guy' spotted
>>
>>51207638
>Player refuses to partisan player knowledge and character knowledge

Fortunately my players are good at this. I literally had one of them replaced by a doppleganger, and they were pretty happy to walk away and let the PC die because they themselves had no way of knowing what had happened.
>>
>>51229355
That's right. None of that "roleplay" bullshit. That's for autists and retards. PnP TTRPGs are supposed to be paper rogue likes and nothing more.
>>
File: 1471911812469.jpg (62KB, 736x881px) Image search: [Google]
1471911812469.jpg
62KB, 736x881px
>guy joins our game and plays a premade dwarf cleric
>we need to fight his brother aka leader of town mafia and all around asshole
>we kill him and take his body to the church
>he waits till we all go to sleep to hang his dead brother in the middle of town naked
>then tries to convince us to keep stolen goods that were supposed to be an offering to the gods

am i being an autist here or is this retarded?
>>
>>51230214
No, he is absolutely beyond retarded.
I'm not too fond of alignment systems and what not, but, he's basically just shit on the whole ideal of a cleric.
>>
>>51230444
>there has never been an immoral religious figure.
His actions check out. Maybe he's secretly a terrible cleric or something. I mean, make sure he isn't left unattended with any children or anything, but it might be real roleplay
>>
>>51230497
Yeah, I see what you're getting at, but clerics aren't just some religious figure.They're spellcasting, Joan of Arc warrior types that commune with their god for power, and unless he's really dealing with a super fucked up old time religion god, I don't think the dwarf that can siphon god to heal wounds and smite mortals has defiling corpses and thievery high on his priority list.

But yeah, he could just be a twat.
>>
>>51230567
You should have the party encounter other members of his faith
>>
>>51230624
Oh, no, I'm not the one running the game, I'm just this guy >>51230444
>>
>>51230567
So we have to trot out a variation of the old /tg/ staple:
>depends on the deity
>>
>>51230664
whoops. My bad.
>>
>>51230567
If we're talking DanD here, there are rules for paladins falling but not clerics. Unless I completely missed something.
>>
>>51230671
There's nothing bad about having a cleric serve a douchebag deity, that's a good chunk of a lot of mythology. I'm just saying that you think the cleric would do something less petty and low as snatching offering and vandalism. With that sort of power, they could just strong arm villagers to intimidate them, or straight up steal from them.
>>
>>51230822
Imagine a person who views themselves as pious and an upstanding person. But they sometimes can't stop themselves from doing certain things. Maybe there's voices? This is still something that can be salvaged from a roleplay standpoint. It just needs consistency (or inconsistency, depending on the depth of the crazies/psychoses)
>>
>>51230822
i'm picturing the main character from impastor now
>>
>>51230624
he's a member of the faith of lothander
our group just so happened to buy the run down and abandoned church of that god and other clerics just sorta moved in and started fixing it up
so no he wasnt supposed to be a cleric of some edgy chaos god or anything
>>
>>51208805
I get mad when shit involves money / food in my groups. After meeting at the gaming shop for a session, we would all go to a bar and the poor guy, a 46ish year old dude with no job said he needed a ride to the bar. Then, he would order drinks and put them on someone elses' tab without them knowing. He did this twice when we figured out where the extra drinks were coming from. We kicked him out of the group for the future and he got pissy when he heard I called him a bum. He's jobless, of course, and never buys anything from the shop.
>>
I need your help smar/tg/uys
>be me, ex-military dragonborn fighter
>very proud of my homeland and her army
>after a major event for my party, we find out my homeland declared war on the people we were questing for
>given the choice by my dm to either stay or go
>given pretty much 2 weeks to think about it and make the choice (which was a day in-game)
>I have to make the announcement in front of the strongest mages of each magical school, as my party was aiding them
>I decide to leave, thinking reenlisting would be a logical thing for my character to do

Am I /thatguy/ for doing this?
If I'm not, I'm pretty sure that gives my DM the title
>important enchanter mage tells my character to see him after the meeting
>Thinking nothing of it, I do
>DM takes character and wipes his memories to make him a sleeper agent for the mages
>>
>>51226953
Cheese.
>>
>>51230822
>>51230898
he was a cleric of Lothander my DM roiled up to help us with a big boss fight (our group isnt combat heavy)
it wasnt the character or the deithy or any shit like that the player just took the character and did what he wanted with him
i thought it was more of a dwarf thing to not desecrate the corpse of your (admittedly evil) brother
>>
>>51231126
>>be me, ex-military dragonborn fighter
it's already too late

on another note
>DM takes character and wipes his memories to make him a sleeper agent for the mages

your DM is either shit or trying to ween you off your special snowflake syndrome
>>
>>51231082
>>51231138
So he's just being dumb then. I'd have an Iquisitor get on his case for rumros that's straying from the fold or some shit.

>>51231126
Deciding to leave to help your country is fine in my book. It'd be a source of drama in the party. I think your DM is being a bit weird, but as long as he doesn't fully wrest your control of the character from you, you should see where it goes.
>>
>>51231126

If it makes sense for your character to do it, it's not really a /thatguy/ thing to do. It's realistic progression.

This gives you an opportunity to play a new character, and could lead to an interesting and tragic event where the party comes across your former character as an enemy. Very good for RP.
>>
>>51231174
We needed a party face and someone with strength, so naturally it seemed the best fit
>Why not play a paladin instead of a fighter?
I was weak and didn't want to deal with spells. I have seen the error of my ways and just made my next character a pally
>>
File: 1473302657493.jpg (61KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1473302657493.jpg
61KB, 380x380px
>Hardly participates in roleplay
>When he does it's to make fun of another PC
>Cannot handle having shit thrown back at them. If it is he sulks the rest of the game or even quits for the day
>Relies solely on rolls to portray character
>Lies about rolls
>Average roll on a d20 is 15
>Raves about how beautiful, smart and skillful his character is
>Strong-arms the GM into giving him the spotlight for his character because he gets bored
>Loses his mind when nobody gives a shit about his perfect character

mfw this guy wants to take over as GM with his cheap Hancock (fallout 4) pirate knockoff as a forced party leader.
>>
>>51231266
Continue to studiously ignore his characters antics and move all player dice rolling to an area visible to all. The problem should take care of itself when he either quits or grows up
>>
>>51228612

>autist thinks he's gonna come into the thread and set everyone straight

Welcome to 4chan. You're a faggot and you don't make a difference.
>>
>>51214144
Why are shitty druids always female?
>>
File: 1331858871878.png (8KB, 502x275px) Image search: [Google]
1331858871878.png
8KB, 502x275px
>>51231126
>dragonborn
>>
>>51231836
>>autist thinks he's gonna come into the thread and set everyone straight
>Welcome to 4chan. You're a faggot and you don't make a difference.
Thank you. This made me smile.
>>
>>51215919
>Switching characters in the middle of a run

That's a great way to not get paid, because Mr. Johnson has no idea who the fuck you are.
>>
>>51230567
you're thinking paladins, which are inherently lawful good in most dnd universe. clerics can be of just about any alignment. I've seen some evil as hell clerics in my days. not all deities are good.
>>
File: dmc.jpg (72KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
dmc.jpg
72KB, 500x491px
>>51208520
>>
>>51213038
>>51213195
>No your character doesn't know fire is good agaisnt trolls.
>No your character doesn't know arrows are bad against skeletons.
>No your character doesn't know golems are immune to mental attacks.
Y'know at some points unless we're doing a lvl 0 start I expect PCs to know the weaknesses of the most overused monsters.
The problem with metagaming is when a player knows the bestiary back to back. Everyone at the table knows to use fire against trolls.
>"so how many spell slots do I waste on non-fire spells so it doesn't count as metagaming, huh DM?"
is totally valid in this case.
>>
>>51222946
As an inverse, I had a player roll up a klepto merchant who had a ridiculous high carry amount, so he looted everything just to sell it later.

Made a handy bit of profit, actually, cause he could sell it for 60-75% off and still profit.

Eventually became an NPC who would randomly turn up in later adventures with randomly generated stock.
>>
>>51213195
well, how many spell slots DOES it take?
>>
>>51236364
As many as it take you to answer 'So how does your character know that X is weak to Y?'.
>>
>>51236374
> I throw my cantrip fire spell at it
>it shrieks in agony as the flames touch it's skin
>"Hey Guys, trolls hate fire. Throw fire at it"

that easy
>>
>>51213245
is his name Adam?
>>
>>51208805
>Same player as above distracts from game and interrupts the GM when he's busy helping another player with an important action for the mission.
>Interruptions cause every action to take twice as long.
>Later, the mission is complete but we're halfway through campaign.
>Gets pissy and claims that we took too long

Tbh, having lengthy soloplay with one player while others just sit there is a sign of a shitty GM. I mean 15+ minutes without switching to other players. But plainly interrupting it from the start is no way of dealing with it.
>>
>>51213195
> Tweak monster stats and metaplot
> Player tries to abuse important NPC's secret weakness (according to the book)
> Silently butthurt by its ineffectiveness
> Can't complain because all setting's common knowledge is exactly as written
>>
>>51213038
>not just describing a scary monster while using the stats of a troll

That's what my GM did for most encounters, and it was always fun.
>>
>>51230721
Rpgstackexchange says that according to 3.5 PHB cleric loses all spells and class abilities and cannot gain that god's cleric levels if he grossly violates his god's code of conduct. No more specific because unlike LG paladin's there are as much codes as there are gods.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170111-224614_1.jpg (21KB, 720x427px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170111-224614_1.jpg
21KB, 720x427px
>>51213245
>>
>tries to swindle the other PCs for money
>attempts to steal from a rich PC's home
>leaves party members to die
>commits mass murder twice for muh monnyz
>gets prissy when her character gets sold for bodyparts after everyone has had enough of her bullshit
>makes new character, but can't make it to another session because "something came up"

Playing CN has a 85% possibility of you being a lil bitch
She was the other 15%, a giant bitch
>>
File: Are you shitting me.jpg (313KB, 1176x1456px) Image search: [Google]
Are you shitting me.jpg
313KB, 1176x1456px
I know that I have been That Guy at several points.
Like I know I make as strong a character as possible to combat my ever-present shitty luck on dice and that I get pissy if I keep failing (Thankfully enough, I get pissy in that I grow quiet and don't start raging on the game or the others)
Neither does it help that I can't for the life of me pick up on some subtle plot-points or hints and blunder straight into traps.
I am also aware that I want to be the leader of the group and I am terrible at it.
>>
>>51237479
>I am also aware that I want to be the leader of the group and I am terrible at it.
Why not try to fill another but equally important role?
>>
>>51236876
>according to 3.5 PHB cleric loses all spells and class abilities and cannot gain that god's cleric levels if he grossly violates his god's code of conduct.
(codes of conduct never defined)

In other news, said Cleric can just worship a different deity for mojo. Or decide that he's the best and use that to power his spells.
>>
So how are you supposed to separate IC and OOC knowledge? Unless the GM writes up thousands of pages of setting information for his world down to the detail about how an average farmer's day plays out, eventually players are going to leak some OOC into their decisions.

Am I supposed to have a phd in history to play medieval fantasy tabletop games or something?
>>
File: xDohzJ3.jpg (199KB, 1936x1452px) Image search: [Google]
xDohzJ3.jpg
199KB, 1936x1452px
>>51237900
>Am I supposed to have a phd in history to play medieval fantasy tabletop games or something?
>>
File: 24601.gif (26KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
24601.gif
26KB, 262x200px
>>51207638
The "That guy" in my last campaign was only annoying as fuck because he completely lacked common sense.

Which would be fine if not a little grating if he were playing an idiot, but he was playing someone who was supposed to be a fairly intelligent monk.

Just shit like not helping out party members in obvious danger, instead helping ones who weren't in quite some much peril.

Or accompanying another PC who was trying to climb up a tower, even though if he fell there's no consequence because of that feather fall thing monks get.

Or having already fought a vampire which escaped, and being told that the sun was setting, reaches the top of the tower, sees 3 coffins and just stands there. Then gets told the lid of the coffin is moving and just stands there. Then gets killed and gets grumpy about it, even though all he had to do was jump off the balcony and float down to the rest of the party for back up.

Or trying to 1v1 a hill giant with his very next character and getting visibly annoyed that he gets flattened and killed.

He's a top bloke and a good laugh so its not like he's not wanted around, but his lack of common sense is painful and just makes him a liability.
>>
>>51238002
>supposed to be a fairly intelligent monk
Can't play a character who is smarter than you. At least not convincingly.
>>
File: IMG_1473.jpg (280KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1473.jpg
280KB, 1500x1500px
>That guy who bitches about a low roll and acts sulky the rest of the session, including sighing into his mic
>That guy who unironically says he's "on tilt" because something he tried didn't work
>That guy who bitches about an enemy using their abilities to avoid getting killed by him, and when you confronted him with "Well if they have something to save themselves, they're obviously not going to just choose death", they just mutter "Whatever..." and stay sulky.
>That guy who brings the mood of the whole session down with this shit, to the point where you almost don't want to play

If you do any of these things, for the love of god stop this shit. It grates on everybody's nerves, and generally makes it unpleasant to be around you. And if the person I'm specifically talking about is reading this; Dude, you're an alright person, from talking to you and the others outside the game l know you're not a bad person or anything, but -please- stop this shit, or at the very least mute your mic before you start sighing, that shit is my biggest pet peeve.
>>
File: Gary gygax.jpg (60KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
Gary gygax.jpg
60KB, 706x540px
>>51238085
I dunno, I think even most idiots would be able to notice that the squishy paper wizard is getting raped by enemies and is probably more in need of a helping hand than the paladin who isn't even breaking a sweat.

Or would have enough intelligence to put himself forward to make a perilous climb because he has feather fall

Or, having recently fought vampires who escaped, and having taken a heft beating from said vampire, would think to not just stand there as the sun is setting and the coffin lid opens.

But that's just me
>>
>>51226449
Lost mines of Phandelver, right?
>>
>>51207638

>Players adventuring along
>Head into small kingdom that is openly run by vampires.
>Has a sort of feudal system, most of the serfs are in abject poverty, and being literally eaten by your vampire landlord is something that happens relatively frequently.
>Almost everyone who isn't a dirt poor peasant is either a vampire, a tradesman passing through, someone who has magical talent, or someone who has been given one of the peripheral vampiric "gifts".

>Cue in our resident self proclaimed history expert
>Feudalism wasn't like that anon.
>Why are you attacking a strawman
>How come the serfs don't have holidays
>Why aren't they in revolt if they're all so miserable?
>>
>>51239568
Aside from that guy being an asshole, he does have a point, that system does not seem to be sustainable at all.

>How come the serfs don't have holidays
Both are valid questions in this case.

Unless you were going for a saturday morning cartoon villain feel, that is.
>>
>>51209973
>What happens if you throw him into combat alone?

It happened. He will stay and fight. He prefers ranged classes with lots of dodge so his chances to win without a scratch is high. Standing behind and shooting things is perfectly fine, but he tends to hide, do nothing or even flee if somebody else present.
>>
>>51239660
>>How come the serfs don't have holidays

Why should they have them?

Why isn't North Korea in constant revolt? Revolts only happen if the revolters can organize and think they can fight with a moderate degree of success. When the class you're attempting to overthrow can quite literally enforce their will out of pure personal power instead of having to rely on an army, things are drastically different than real life.
>>
>>51239822
>Why should they have them?
To keep them docile, do you think NK doesn't have holidays or something?

>Why isn't North Korea in constant revolt?
Mostly propaganda, they think they have it better than others.

Personal strength is never enough. The best possible outcome for your vampire lords is the extinction of the serf class. Other possible outcomes are rebellion (possibly with the aid of a foreign land or deity) or mass exodus. The situation as you have described it is unsustainable.

Again, unless you're going for saturday morning cartoon villains, then it's all fine.
>>
i have to know was i being that guy
>players about to journey into a giant tree that has been walking towards a monster that crashed into our planet
>crazy cultist outside who has psychic link with the monster and our paladin
>he starts telling us about how were doing things wrong and that the monster has to destroy the life on our planet to save other planets and he keeps rambling on about stuff like that
>my character gets angry that hes defending the destruction the monsters caused and i shoot him
>party gets mad at me in character for not letting him ramble more hoping they might get more information
>>
File: funny spik.jpg (35KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
funny spik.jpg
35KB, 700x514px
>>51223194
Hungry for woooords?
>>
>>51239895

>they think they have it better than others.

Because serfs in a medievalish setting and a draconian state know a whole lot about what's going on outside their borders.

>Personal strength is never enough

Ever hear of an ancient city state called Lacedemonia? They managed to keep an underclass going for about 800 years on the depsotic strength thing alone, and that was just through discipline and training, not literal superpowers.

>The best possible outcome for your vampire lords is the extinction of the serf class.

Or, since most real life people don't always fight to the death in every situation, they make examples of those that cause trouble, and the rest fall into line, like what happened with many slave revolts throughout history.

>The situation as you have described it is unsustainable.

It seems perfectly internally stable to me; there is the risk of external intervention, but that's true of almost all political systems.
>>
>>51236374
>My character has an encyclopedic knowledge of monster weaknesses because he's an adventurer

done
>>
>>51240002
>Because serfs in a medievalish setting and a draconian state know a whole lot about what's going on outside their borders.
What they know is that they have it bad, and in the absence of information about how others have it worse

>Ever hear of an ancient city state called Lacedemonia?
Sparta also had a substantial group of citizens actively interested in the prosperity of Sparta, and in general the situation is Sparta was a lot more complicated than you make it out to be.

It's spelled Lacedaemon in english, by the way, or just call it Sparta like everybody else.

>don't always fight to the death
My point is if the serfs don't fight and stay content with the status quo (which is the best possible outcome for the Vampires), they're going to go extinct in a couple generations.

>It seems perfectly internally stable to me
Because you didn't think it through well enough.

In the end, your player had very valid concerns about your worldbuilding, which you chose do dismiss instead of addressing.
>>
>>51215155
>laugh at the idea of dire ferret
>google

>Dire ferrets grow to be up to 10 feet long and can reach a weight of 700 pounds.
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (65KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
65KB, 431x450px
>>51240043
>encyclopedic knowledge of monster weaknesses
>int 8
>wis 10
>>
>>51240123
>What is a human bard with single level dip in Lore Oracle for Cha to Knowledge checks
>>
>>51240102
>What they know is that they have it bad, and in the absence of information about how others have it worse

So? Knowing they have it bad does not equate instant revolt.

>Sparta also had a substantial group of citizens actively interested in the prosperity of Sparta, and in general the situation is Sparta was a lot more complicated than you make it out to be.

Yes, I'm aware of the Perioikoi, but they don't touch upon my main point, the helot population was kept in place on main strength. And it is hardly clear how many of them there were, but they certainly seem to be outnumbered by the Helots many times over.

>My point is if the serfs don't fight and stay content with the status quo (which is the best possible outcome for the Vampires), they're going to go extinct in a couple generations.

What makes you think that? In setting, Vampiric action is based on Semetic style mythology; blood eating is a mechanism for soul eating. To stay 'stable' and not age/die/run into other problems, a vampire needs to eat about one human or similarly intelligent creature every 5 years or so.

Most will, of course, devour more if they get a chance, but assuming a population growth of about 6% per year,which I got by taking a cut from Urlanis's figures of medieval population growth in the high middle ages; and 100 humans per vampire, you get continual, stable growth barring disasters like plague or bad wars, not everyone's going to be eaten by vampires.

>Because you didn't think it through well enough.

Your counteraguments are primarily based on bizarre assumptions that have no bearing on the actual game world and are poorly rooted in history.
>>
>>51240200
Your arguments are even more poorly rooted in history and rely on your faulty worldbuilding and lack of understanding of human nature. I'm done arguing with you, your player was right to complain.
>>
>>51209671
>hogging the spot just to make somebody else solve the problem, and claim it as his own as loud as possible

If he does it in character, I'll actually love it as a dm. Given, I'm doing a vtm campaign and being power hungry bitches is a requirement.
>>
>>51213038
lol
>>51241723
>>
>>51239933
You were definitely That Guy.
If he was about to summon monsters, fair enough.
You just killed someone who probably had vital information because you didn't like his mean words.

Seeing as how your GM specifically had you speaking to him, it's almost a 100% guarantee that he had useful information, probably about the BBEG, how to stop the curse, etc.
Killing him was a dick fucking move.
>>
>>51241972
But it was good roleplaying. There's no good reason to trust anything he could have said, and he could've been stalling to pull something tricky.
>>
>>51242049
>But it was good roleplaying.
No, it wasn't good roleplaying.
Were you playing Chaotic Stupid?

>There's no good reason to trust anything he could have said
No, but it's always a good idea to hear people out anyway and take what they say into consideration.
I'd wager your party would have had no problem with you murdering him after he'd said all he had to say.

>and he could've been stalling to pull something tricky
Then you deal with the something tricky.
Chances are, he would have had valuable information and everyone in your party, bar you, knew that.

Stop trying to justify it, you were That Guy.
Only thing you can do now is learn from your mistakes so people will play with you in the future.
>>
>>51239568
>>51239660
While there's nothing wrong with a super-oppressive vampire kingdom, especially if there's some "aura of depression" that saps the serfs' will to revolt, what about a bunch of Vampires who use a carrot instead of a stick to get blood?

I'm thinking along the lines of that Vampire-run district in The Scar, where houses are better, taxes lower, and punishment less severe, but every month you have to give up a small amount of blood. It's extracted mechanically so it doesn't kill you and you don't turn, and then it's watered down and distributed to the vampire elites. Only the boss-vampire gets the pure stuff
>>
>>51242130
I'm not him, just so you know. I just tend to play games where not everyone is a calculating, emotionless husk and not every encounter has to be picture-perfect.
>>
File: 1351849159103.jpg (6KB, 230x172px) Image search: [Google]
1351849159103.jpg
6KB, 230x172px
>Playing VtM
>There's always that asshole Malk
>>
>>51242258
>I just tend to play games where not everyone is a calculating, emotionless husk and not every encounter has to be picture-perfect.
There's a difference between "calculating, emotionless husk" and making sensible decisions.
Killing someone who probably has vital information is not only NOT sensible, but fucking stupid.
The GM would have put him there for a reason, likely one of information.

Instead of killing the guy, he could have intimidated, charmed, subdued, etc. as non-lethal alternatives to get some information out of him, but no, mean words mean death.
>>
>>51242334
Say the Soviets are invading the American mainland. Do you stop and listen to every fifth columnist tossing pebbles and shouting canned propaganda at you, or do you just put two holes in them and move on?

>The GM would have put him there for a reason, likely one of information.
That sort of justification usually doesn't fly at my table, because it's blatant metagaming. If a character's personality is one where he's quick to the trigger, he might be complained at in-game, but there definitely wouldn't be any OOC crying and farting. And if the GM absolutely needed to get that information across, there's no reason he couldn't quietly slip in a small journal or something among the cultist's personal effects.
>>
>>51242453
>Say the Soviets are invading the American mainland. Do you stop and listen to every fifth columnist tossing pebbles and shouting canned propaganda at you, or do you just put two holes in them and move on?
Say there's some magical bullshit going on.
Do you stop and listen to the one person who's got any sort of information about them because of the PSYCHIC LINK he has to the monsters or do you attack them because you don't like what they're saying?
That's the situation and that guy (You) fucked up.
>>
>>51242522
well our paladin had a link to the monster too so we didnt lose that but we just learned from him that there were alot of people in it and they kept telling our paladin to stop killing the monsters we were and he listened for a short while because he thought it was the voice of god
>>
>>51242522
Way to ignore the spirit of that line and also the rest of my post. I'm saying that, in-character, people don't always have the benefit of cool heads, patient rationality, or the ability to confer instantly with their party members in a zero-stress situation (i.e. sitting around a table exploring a fictional world with your buddies).

I suppose we can just agree that we enjoy playing different games? You care more about optimization in a metagame sense, while I tend to lean away from that.
>>
>>51242630
>You care more about optimization in a metagame sense
That's not what I was getting at at all.
I think it's that I like playing rational characters, not metagaming.

>while I tend to lean away from that
Yeah, murdering everyone who could be of help sure seems like a great way to play, keep at it.
>>
>>51242324
ours currently has two. because what's better than one asshole malk?

2!
>>
File: 1385290284930.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1385290284930.png
12KB, 560x407px
>>51242669
I like playing rational characters too. Just not all the time, and I don't demand that others play rational characters either. So, uh, you sound fun to play with.

>Yeah, murdering everyone who could be of help sure seems like a great way to play, keep at it.
It's entirely reasonable that someone could be of a mindset where they're primed for battle, they see a crazy cultist dude, and they don't immediately think, "Gee! He could be of help!" and it's also entirely reasonable that such a person doesn't happen to be a murder-happy Chaotic Neutral leaving a trail of bodies everywhere he goes.
>>
File: Fran_Elated.png (56KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
Fran_Elated.png
56KB, 340x340px
>>51242704
Flesh-crafted together!
>>
>>51207638
That's why I always roll high int characters
>>
File: Shrug.jpg (46KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
Shrug.jpg
46KB, 377x500px
>>51208574
>be DM starting the first session of new campaign
>ask everyone to go around the table and say what your PC's name, race, class, background, alignment, and "favorite color"
>everyone gets through this intro no problems
>except that guy
>"You see before you a strange hooded figure, you can't tell what race or class she is, her personality and goals are a mystery"
>ok dude sure but irl just let everyone know what PC did you make for this game
>"i'm not telling you"
>i as the DM I actually know and so I say "It's Vayne the Chaotic Evil Vampire Bard Noble who wears all black, so anyway next..."
>that guy gets super duper pissed off
>spends the entire first session pissed off and not talking
>in combat he only loots dead enemies for treasure, never buffs allies
>leaves after the second session

I feel bad but at the same time just cooperate with other players.
>>
File: DataQ.jpg (96KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
DataQ.jpg
96KB, 306x306px
>>51242743
Do you not see how that could ruin the fun for everyone else in your party and your DM though?

They want to play a role playing game, and when faced with the opportunity to advance the story and learn some new information, one guy decides "nah, I'm just going to blow this fool away"

Is it metagaming to not want that to happen? Perhaps, but you can't fully ever get rid of metagaming, just try to limit its effect on the game.

Basically what you did was sit down to play a game with a group of people and then perform an action which hampered the enjoyment of the other players.

I can understand why they might have been a little disgruntled.

The fact you refuse to acknowledge your effect on others enjoyment further marks you out as "that guy"
>>
File: 68a.jpg (29KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
68a.jpg
29KB, 400x366px
>>51242856
>It's Vayne the Chaotic Evil Vampire Bard Noble who wears all black
>>
>>51242743
my character was generally rational i only killed the guy because i felt like some one justifying killing most of the world nd mind controlling people would make her lose her cool and so i decided to kill him most of the world had already been destroyed so he wasnt just talking shit like all plants and animals on the surface were dead
>>
>>51242876
>when faced with the opportunity to advance the story and learn some new information, one guy decides "nah, I'm just going to blow this fool away"
I thought it was common knowledge that if you need your players to learn a piece of information *to advance the plot* (not just for an advantage, mind) and you're not willing to send them into an unsalvageable loss condition because "LOL you made a wrong turn 5 sessions ago", it is an elementary GM mistake to make the sole source of that information the inside of a killable enemy NPC's noggin. Like I mentioned earlier, a simple notebook or journal is a simple and easy way of preserving an NPC's knowledge after they're dead.

>The fact you refuse to acknowledge your effect on others enjoyment further marks you out as "that guy"
I don't even disagree that he could've been That Guy, because whether or not you're That Guy is determined relative to the mode of the group. I'm just casting aspersions on his group because it looks like they're shitty roleplayers who can't deal with a single misstep, ever.
>>
>>51243034
There's nothing wrong with a misstep or a DM having to change plans, but when it feels like a member of your group is an actual detriment, it can get grating.
>>
File: Stares Ice Cubically.jpg (15KB, 480x514px) Image search: [Google]
Stares Ice Cubically.jpg
15KB, 480x514px
>>51207638
>GM: You're in a tavern, what're you doing?
>ThatGuy: I'm in a secluded corner of the room by the fire in the shadow, keeping an eye on anyone who gets too close, which is probably most of the room.
>GM: A man barges in through the door and yells that monsters are attacking What do you do?
>players start reacting in various ways, getting up, finishing our drinks, going out to fight, etc.
>ThatGuy: Before anyone else is even getting up, I'm already outside the door and attacking the nearest monsters.

Does this frequently enough to drive everyone mad. The one time we let him DM, it became a "look at what my dmpc can do! you'd be dead if it wasn't for him!" sort of adventure.
>>
>>51243063
Absolutely fair. It's just that it seemed to me (and now even moreso, given >>51242964) that it was more of an isolated heat-of-the-moment thing, and not a "LOL I'ma buss a cap in dis nigga because my dude don't give a fuk" situation.
>>
>>51243073
>It's one of those "Oh I wanna DM, but I also want to play DMs"
Makes me wish I never knew about RPGs.
>>
>>51242049
>>51242130
>it's non-optimal
>no, it's roleplay-based
This thread in a nutshell
>>
>>51243073
Some people have a hero complex.

But are too fat to be heroes irl.
>>
>>51226953
My chaotic neutral still sees the value in not being a cock. He's like the description really.

Ultimately beholden to him own whims, maybe an anti-authority streak...

I might be playing it wrong, but I'm generally a good guy just because that benefits me the most and as a low level cleric for an evil god, I can't exactly convert a town with thunder and fire yet, nor would because earnest devotion is more self-sustaining than faith predicated on fear.
>>
>>51242704
I played a game once, that had two guys play the same (female) malk. It got weird.
>>
>>51208241

>Orc who raped his city

it's a man who likes to stick his dick into buildings. that shouldn't be a death sentence anon
>>
File: orc.jpg (147KB, 718x494px) Image search: [Google]
orc.jpg
147KB, 718x494px
>>51244070
You're taking afternoon tea when this guy comes up and slaps your house's backyard. What do you do?
>>
File: ow the edge.jpg (131KB, 443x723px) Image search: [Google]
ow the edge.jpg
131KB, 443x723px
>>51242918
>>
>>51239933
>>51241972
>>51242130
>Doing something that's a bad idea makes you That Guy

This dude doesnt know what the fuck he's talking about bro. If the DM is worth his salt, then he didnt put the only source of vital information into an annoying easily-killable doomsayer. Assuming this doomsayer has vital information when he's just been babbling is not only silly, it's fucking metagaming.
>>
File: bizzaro-world.jpg (110KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
bizzaro-world.jpg
110KB, 650x365px
>be me
>roll a rogue
>DM (That guy) says we start at a tavern
>instantly attack the mage because fuck mages
>That guy says that the game is just starting
>he repreends me for using more points than i could spend.
>i call him out on his faggotry
>he kicks me out
what a douchebag, right guys?
>>
>>51246632
>We start on the forest from last session
>GM is railroading just fine
>That guy starts to complain when GM won't let him roll perception to spot hidden enemies
>we manage to defeat them eventually, but one still alive.
>NPC clearly want us to join her, but that guy is being an asshole and saying we should try other things and bring her to justice instead
>GM ignores and tell us that we have to join her anyway
>that guy says he will take her to the guards of the next town because "that's what my character would do"
>GM tells him the road is obstructed
>he tries to bypass it
>gets killed by a bunch of orcs that were waiting for him
>he is babbling something about perception again
i'm not even mad
>>
>>51244188
Call him a sick fuck, because she is underage.
>>
>>51235494
>>51213038
Of course the PC knows the generic monster weaknesses if they're higher than level fucking zero

The real answer is not to make them say they don't know IC, the real answer is to just not use the most generic monster encounters.
>>
>>51235494
>Everyone at the table knows to use fire against trolls.
>>"so how many spell slots do I waste on non-fire spells so it doesn't count as metagaming, huh DM?"
>is totally valid in this case.

Except it isn't, because it DotS, and even on the specifics of the PCs in question.
>>
>>51238099
Andy??
>>
>>51239960
No. Hungry for wooooooorrrrrrrrrrrds!
>>
>>51240200
>>51240283
This is quite possibly one of the most autistic conversations I've read
>>
File: 1457671597535.png (158KB, 417x405px) Image search: [Google]
1457671597535.png
158KB, 417x405px
>When people in 'That Guy' threads basically tell you that literally anything you do makes you That Guy
>Roleplaying makes you That Guy
>Not Roleplaying makes you That Guy
>>
>>51248518
>That Guy spotted
>>
>>51248554
We're all that guy. I'm that guy, you're that guy.

Every singe one of us is that guy, only in the end will Gygax himself tell you if you are truly That Guy.
>>
File: 1480892760350.png (700KB, 1710x1005px) Image search: [Google]
1480892760350.png
700KB, 1710x1005px
>Get two new players
>both are rarely online when I can get in contact with them let them both to if they can come in early so I can help with making a character
>Both can't make it but say they will come in early
>One shows up 5 hours late doesn't say why he is late I tell him he can just watch seems to be fine with that.
>other shows up 4 hours late but doesn't want to sit in or wants to learn how the rules work during the game.

>At the game of the game I ask them both if they can make the time posted for sure
>both don't say anything and goes offline
>>
File: 1301926744967.jpg (9KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
1301926744967.jpg
9KB, 300x240px
Recently started playing with a couple buddies, but I'm slowly realizing they're all That Guys (TM). I'm the DM.
First campaign
>Everyone says fuck their alignment and plays CN
>Kill most random people they come into contact with, bad guys or innocents
>Haggle with EVERY shop owner, quest giver, etc. for triple the amount of offered reward. If told no they throw a fit OOC or kill NPC
>Finally have enough and say NPC's refuse any further business because you guys are being greedy assholes
>Have to come up with new ways to introduce quests
>Players immediately try to extort new quest giver NPC too

>What's your backstory?
>Idk I just kill people
>C'mon, try to come up with a little creativity, it'll make it more interesting
>Okay I kill people because I'm angry at the world

>Expect to be spoonfed by DM what the monster's HP and resistances and vulnerabilities are

Now we've been doing a couple one-shots (Thank you for whoever posted the Adventure League modules in the megatrove). After first campaign I asked players for feedback/criticism/requests to make a more fun game.

>They want more varied and interactive terrain/maps to make battles more tactical
>Describe in detail the battle areas, physically point out different things, hint they could be used
>Players ignore all of it and just converge on enemies to hack n slash
>Still bitch about combat being "boring"
>>
>>51249036

>While exploring dungeon find a sketchy NPC who has no business there
>"Well that's weird"
>Suggest do an insight check
>Yup she's lying to you
>"Well fuck it, I guess we should just let her go"
>Ask if they want to see if she has any information about the dungeon (trying to throw them a fuckin bone)
>"No we just let her go"
>Improvise and later throw in another NPC to pass along info
>They kill him on sight
>Sigh and start giving them tidbits of info scattered around dungeon since they didn't want any info from NPC
>Players still bitch about how nobody was there to tell them anything about the dungeon

>Before final confrontation party finds a holy relic, describe its ties to the big bad guy they're sure to face soon
>Explain item only has one charge
>Players use it on first common enemy they see
>Explain using this will kill two of the other prisoners nearby
>"Oh well, I use it anyway"

>Final bad guy battle
>Monster is resistant to piercing damage
>"It appears that your arrows aren't puncturing very far into the monster's thick hide, and while it's recoiling from the pain, it's not as damaging as you would normally expect"
>Continues firing arrows for two more rounds
>Finally flat out say "you may want to switch weapons"
>Continues firing arrows
>"Well jesus DM, this battle is going to take forever if I'm only doing a few points of damage at a time."
>Did I mention players still ignoring the interactive environment such as stalagmites, loose boulders, high ground, ballista, all of which that can be used against monster, or even the magical orb giving him his power?
>>
File: 1336759872093.jpg (73KB, 488x357px) Image search: [Google]
1336759872093.jpg
73KB, 488x357px
>>51249068
>>51249036

>Monster has a captured princess, quest was to rescue her
>Describe her, have enemies interact with her, she's a bound prisoner
>Once final battle is over, party starts to leave
>Remind them of the bound woman in the corner
>Players ignore and destroy room instead
>Once players emerge from dungeon, NPC quest giver asks if they found the princess
>"What princess? There was nobody down there"
>As DM remind them of the prisoner they left behind
>"Oh well that's bullshit because we didn't know she was the princess"
>Party still expects reward from NPC quest giver
>Bitches when they don't receive anything

>Also, prior to all of this
>Have a date set for the game
>Been exchanging messages with group for over a week regarding character creation (everyone has a PHB)
>Everyone arrives to play
>One guy hasn't even rolled his character yet

>Another player can't remember any of his class abilities
>Ask if he even read his 5 pertinent pages in the book
>"No"

I really want to enjoy playing D&D, but I put several hours of work every week into planning sessions. In return, they are shitty players with zero imagination or creativity and it's just killing the fun for me. I watch Critical Role (inb4 memes, normie, etc) and have expectations for an amazing group like them. Are my expectations just way too high, or do I deserve better?
>>
>>51240283
>I got utterly blown out, I'm going to run away now!

All the dicks, mate. Eat'm.
>>
>>51248617
Gygax was just the first among That Guys.
>>
>>51207638
Nat 20
>uh you do slightly more damage
Nat 1
>instead of intimidating them you start sucking your own dick

I wish I was making that up. First session of my first game.
>>
>>51249091
They aren't going to change. Even if you directly tell them that they're doing things in a way that makes it difficult for you and unenjoyable for them, they'll just say the game sucks and possibly think you're weird for wanting to take the game seriously. Say you can't play anymore, or even better just stop scheduling sessions, and find other people to play with.
>>
>>51249518
>>51249091
I'm inclined to agree. Been there back in college. Just leave it, there are other fish in the sea.
>>
>>51249518
>>51249565
What sucks is they actually get excited about playing. It was their idea in the first place. They text me constantly asking when the next session is. And they're the only group of my friends who want to play at all.
>>
File: 1420502953607.jpg (90KB, 616x616px) Image search: [Google]
1420502953607.jpg
90KB, 616x616px
>>51249036
>>51249068
>>51249091
I got angry just reading this.
>>
>>51221198
Don't even bother with discretion, just fucking execute the bastard.
>>
>>51242856
I think it's entirely acceptable for a PC to act this way and have a mysterious entrance, but if the PC doesn't talk to the DM about it before the game to make sure the DM is cool with it, it's on them. I've had an almost identical situation happen at the beginning of a game that caused the guy to ragequit.
>>
>>51249507
Yeah... my group seems to like the idea of nat-1s being some sort of horrible silly thing.

Myself, I just say you over extended and opened yourself up to an AoO.
>>
>>51226540
That's why the only time I let anyone play CN is if their character is straight up insane and spends down time talking to himself in a corner.
>>
My that guy experience was some british kid who always played characters that at first seemed fine but always made them act dickish, and would just insult the NPC's and try and do cocky shit. Most memorable moment was when he was watching a hallway only me and another PC were in and he was mad that he got a 20 on the check and could "see the dust on the ground blow as nothing went past"
>>
>>51248109
Not me, you must be thinking of someone else.
>>
>>51213038

It's not like there's much thing that aren't weak to fire anyway, you're a shit DM for calling met-gaming on that one son
>>
>>51249662
I didn't expect that, since you said they kept saying it was boring. In that case it's up to you how you handle it. Since they seem to have no grasp of how to roleplay, I might actually try making some sort of idiot-proof campaign. Nothing but dungeon crawling and killing, they're just mercenaries paid to go into dungeons and kill everything inside, they get gold at the end of every quest to spend automatically for upgrades and supplies, basically remove all roleplaying.
>>
>>51251113
I considered that, but the roleplaying is what I enjoy myself. I guess me and the players just have different mindsets
>>
File: Cool.png (70KB, 159x301px) Image search: [Google]
Cool.png
70KB, 159x301px
>just got into DnD with friends
>second adventure, we all go dwarves because it sounds like a recipe for a fun time
>my friends apparently think that means wreck any semblance of story and try to throw as many wrenches as possible into it at the start

>girl getting bullied and called a witch by the mayor's son
>try to scare them off, the girl runs away and cries
>mayor's son accuses us of attacking them or something
>"""""friend""""" aims a bow at the little girl and screams at her to tell the truth
>20
>>
>>51249091
like others have said, you need to find a new group. If possible take one or two of them you think you can fix, remove the problem players, and start anew.
>>
>>51249091
I watch Critical Role and have expectations for an amazing group like them. Are my expectations just way too high
Yes

>do I deserve better?
A perverted 13 year old with a DMPC deserves better
You deserve a salute for remaining nonviolent.

>they are shitty players with zero imagination or creativity and it's just killing the fun for me.
This is your answer.

>>51249662
>What sucks is they actually get excited about playing.
Then teach them that they have a responsibility to improve by doing x, y, z, or you will just stop running for them.
If they resist, show 'em this thread.
Shape up, faggots.
Give them one shot to act like human beings that can follow the complex idea of "Rescue Princess".
Then follow through and stop running when they remain idiots that expect you to generate mobs for them to hack and loot.
I mean, I'm against spoonfeeding at all, but you're spoonfeeding babies that spit the food back out and then bitch they are hungry.
Damn.

>>51249675
>I got angry just reading this.
This
>>
>Running my first game for some friends who asked me about D&D
>Ask specifically for backstories to be presented alongside with their character sheets
>One refuses, says that she feels annoyed at the fact that I seemingly can't play without forcing her to do this thing
>Whatever, we'll just roll with her as a blank slate, do whatever sort of story she wants
>A few sessions later
>Players are all speaking about current line of events I've put out for them, and the story of the fallen empire they're scavenging through
>No backstory girl suddenly insists she has intimate knowledge of this, and PMs me(This game was over skype) asking for a document detailing all of the relevant backstory she would know for being a noble of this empire
>Explain that this is extremely spur of the moment and I can't write that shit up on hand
>Player goes on to huff and express annoyance that I couldn't let them have their moment, when it's meant to be part of the backstory that I had no idea whatsoever about because she didn't tell me
>>
>>51251762
>female player
>refuses to design a character until she knows the story, then conveniently and instantly decides to make them the center of the story once it's revealed
>>
>>51251853
Male to female, technically
>>
>>51208241
Part of me understands this, but at the same time, is there a reason the character wouldn't also use their magic to kill the Orc?

Like, just doing a quick term replace in my head: Upon seeing the thug who killed his family, my ex-cop drops his gun, draws his boot-knife and charges in an uncontrollable rage.

Personally, I often find the angle of 'uncontrollable rage' to often be a fairly lame motivator for a character. If he was wanting this Orc dead more than anything else, why wouldn't he play to his advantages and instead play directly into the Orc's?
>>
File: 1446681029478.jpg (20KB, 263x261px) Image search: [Google]
1446681029478.jpg
20KB, 263x261px
>>51218427
they don't get it, m8. powergamers are fucking morons when it comes to actual roleplaying. just the fact that someone actually gives a shit about hoarding all the points they can on a character they normally can't use anywhere else is beyond me. rp and storytelling come first.
>>
File: 1483672397841.jpg (82KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1483672397841.jpg
82KB, 900x675px
>>51251872
>>
>>51235185
Apparently he was doing the same job as us but for a different person or some shit. It's also why he couldn't include the other player's new character on the run because he "didn't know him."

Yet after the run was over, snowflake's character gave the new guy a call anyway so overall, it was pointless as fuck.
>>
>>51207807
Underrated
>>
>>51236569
It wasn't even a soloplay, our resident technomancer was just hacking shit and the GM was helping him figure out how to do technomancer stuff.
>>
I used to be that other guy, the guy who threw a hissy fit at the first red flag of a that guy
>>
>>51249091
>I watch Critical Role (inb4 memes, normie, etc) and have expectations for an amazing group like them. Are my expectations just way too high, or do I deserve better?
leave your shit players (duh), find a better group, play with them for a few years and you will get there
>>
>>51248202
Hahahahaha!
SHUT UP
>>
>>51208241
>the ork who raped his city
That would explain the sticky floors
>>
>>51240183
Disgusting 3.pf nonsense?
>>
>>51207638
Had a guy like this. He did quite a bit more too
>Tried to turn a battletech game run by a grognardy fan into the most cliche anime possible (none of us had an issue with anime, hell I introduced the 08th ms team to that gm and built a homebrew together with him revolving around it, just know know. that guy's anime)
>Constantly had to be reminded that we're playing in an established universe and that it had rules and reason to it
>Constantly made shit up that completely contradicted the most basic aspects of said universe.
>Wait a minute, you were a war orphan who was literally dragged into combat on carrier aircraft that didn't exist yet by your mercenary pirate parents. Scarring you into the fucked individual you are now, and you also have a "daughter" (read that as abused autistic sex puppet), that you rescued from an entire planet you were partially responsible for burning to the ground, all with 0 repercussions and she is the sole person who maintains your 60 ton fusion powered death machine? K
>Had 2 major addition flaws for points, bought only half of his vices, for a single week, knowing our trip would start off with a good deal of travel time...but totally had the funds for a fucking skid of warcrime defining small arms ammunition
>In a campaign focusing on in mech activity...
>Flechette ammo by the forklift load by his bed
>Knows through character gen that other characters have both booze and smokes on them
>Tries to sneak into their cabins to steal it, knowing both have deep dark secrets (thank god not knowing what they were)
>Contemplates shooting open the private rooms of these characters while in fucking ftl travel on a dropship
>Shows up to contract meetings in full infantry kit
>In a fucking office building lounge
>In a fucking city nowhere near conflict
>Powers up weapons upon arriving in the planetary capitol we were hired by, literally right out of the ship
>Constantly trying to butt into other's conversations
I could go on.
>>
>>51249091
Find better players.
>>
>>51226540
Hey fuck you buddy, I played a cn character once. They were perfectly able to mingle with the party and pursue the overarching plot of the campaign. Just you know, for their own reasons, often doing bad things for for their own goals, which just so happened to bring about good they didn't care about.
Complete with their own melodrama about shifting into CG, and coping with becoming a rallying cry of people, they didn't want to lead, but could use.

You just play with bad people

>>51231126
Depends why he did it, difficult decisions like that can be great for character growth, especially if said character can be reintroduced further down the road

>>51213038
You had him roll to see if he had that knowledge with a reasonable and world fitting difficulty right?

>>51239895
Alright using an example I ran kinda like >>51242228 mentions. Less taxes in a medieval society means more food in your family's mouth, really helps that your liege doesn't need food delivered to him outside of a few bites

Couple that with super powers, because we're really driving home that this is one ancient vampire cunt (pcs had them too, cool yourself). Now you have the interaction between gaining life on a good bite, and being a swarm, which in and of itself in our system of choice was nuts. On a good bite vampire man gained back a wound. Vampire man was resistant or immune to most physical attacks due to being a vampire, and being a swarm. Being a swarm meant automatically biting everyone with an burst template. Which means you either find a way to drop him in 1 hit (literally impossible for even non-super mages, you need either super precise siege engines, or pc type bad asses), he will regenerate to full immediately

He could literally a professional army by himself, the fuck were his peasants going to do (not that they'd revolt given some of their numbers took to worshiping him because as it turns out a kingdom free of succession crisis for centuries is a pretty stable thing)?
>>
>>51255033
>"daughter" (read that as abused autistic sex puppet)

Wait, what the fuck?

You can't just drop a bomb like that on us then not expand on it.
>>
>>51249036
>>51249068
>>51249091

You seem like a pretty chill dude, anon. I hope you can DM for a party that deserves you.
>>
>>51235494
My DM describes effects.
>You notice the troll healing after your attack strikes them
>You notice that the troll's healing seems to have stopped as the wounds are cauterized shut.
>>
>>51238099
Bane?
>>
>>51242228
>what about a bunch of Vampires who use a carrot instead of a stick to get blood?
This.
>World full of horrible monsters
>Vampire shows up and protects village from monsters
>Drills the strongest men to be soldiers and begins expanding out to protect other towns and villages, drafting more men
>Demands blood (depending on how your vampires work it can be enough victims that the victims don't die of blood loss)
>Towns and villages like vampire because he protects them and leads their well trained and equipped armies
>See blood offerings as just being akin to taxes or human sacrifices (which in many cultures were voluntary or at least seen as a great honour). Alternatively he could just consume outsiders hence the PCs wanting him dead since he's either kidnapping people from other kingdoms or kidnapping random merchants and caravan guards.
>>
File: goodmanrage.gif (499KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
goodmanrage.gif
499KB, 500x335px
>that guy who never keeps track of his character sheet
>always forgets his abilities
>never remembers his modifiers
>never keeps track of his HP
>always forgets spells
>"lol I can't edit my excel, so I guess I don't have a character sheet"

You're not allowed to be a stupid noob for half a year, I keep telling him to fix his shit and get your head in the game, I'm about to kick this guy as soon as I find a replacement.
>>
>>51249091
>>51251187
I'm going to agree with everyone else. Your expectations are perfectly fine and you seem like you know your shit. It's just that your group is here for mindless dungeon crawling and you aren't.

The GM is a player and deserves to have fun. Sometimes there's no way to conciliate your fun and their fun. Salvage what content you can from that campaign (and maybe the lone roleplayer among your friends, if they exist) and find a new group.
>>
>>51257864
Well he did. Sadly that's one I don't really have stories on because like sane people everyone in the group avoided that shit with a 10ft pole

What I know is that she was severely autistic (his own words to describe the defendant characteristic). Oh that's right did I not mention his nuclear robot mechanic that "exclusively touched his mech" was a single teenage autistic girl (from that one tank anime to boot) that by the very RAW he got her from was a near useless handicap on the player?

I don't know who reads a downside that basically reads "Liability that will be kidnapped or leveraged against you at some point" and comes away from it with max points in every single mechanical and engineering skill capable for subbing in for an entire team of people. But he did

So yeah. She was there. Because when he fire bombed a planet he, for all intents and purposes, kidnapped her (which if anyone knew in character he would have been held accountable for). Despite her being 5 years younger than him stated calling her daughter (we did call him on that being some weird shit all the time though). Never really publicly interacted with her or had her do anything. Presumably she just sat in his room begging for death

When he was no longer invited to the game (due to basically needing someone else to run his character after 6 months of playing, despite printing out the entire rulebook pdf in his dorm (holy shit on that one too)), we dropped her off at a spaceport and legally distanced ourselves as far from her as possible

Hope that's anticlimactic enough for you

Bonus point lightning round
>Had to be told to get off laptop every other session
>One website gleaned was fanfiction.net
>Me and another player took bets on how much of a train wreck he would be
>I lost slightly more money than I won
>Legitimately couldn't separate player from character (Constantly made drug related comments around me due to knowing that my character kept a super secret stash in his room)
>>
>>51249838
i really like how my dm does nat 1s with stuff like oh you lost grip on your weapon and it flung across the room or with bows the arrow went so far off course you hit an ally
>>
>>51207638
This one isn't two exciting, but it's still earned a special place in my memory
>enter rules lite sci-fi horror game
>party is the new batch or crewmen assigned to a space station, but when they arrive most of the old crew is no where to be found, save a few mutilated corpses, and the entire station is fucked
>pretty standard sci-fi horror shit
>enter the party
>super serious lady security officer, cute little engineer girl, hotshot ace pilot who's got a thing going on with the sec officer, mad scientist "lady" with a hedonistic streak, average joe janitor, and me who's an ex-soldier turned security guard with anger issues
>enter That Guy's character
>she's a super strong and super sexy black-ops operative with a sniper rifle fetish and always walks around in high-tech power armor who also refuses to tell why she's hanging with the rest of the party when she would look slightly less out of place in 40k fighting tyranids
>we don't pay too much attention to her, despite her constantly throwing up red flags she doesn't really do anything noteworthy aside from throwing up said flags
>first few sessions go by with mostly just spooky shit and the occasional group of tiny alien babies that proceed to all get mowed down by a hail of bullets
>then shit hits the fan and we're on the run from a huge ass tentacle monster with an strong appetite for PCs
>chase goes on with most of the party running their asses off with me and That Guy's character in the back trying to slow it down
>eventually me and That Guy manage to put enough bullets into it to get a pretty good distance between us and it
>unfortunately I fuck up a roll and end up landing face first on the floor
>shitty but nothing major as we have enough distance that I can easily get back up and rejoin the party
>before I can do anything though, That Guy instantly runs back to me-

continued in next post
>>
File: 1484139371380.jpg (73KB, 600x619px) Image search: [Google]
1484139371380.jpg
73KB, 600x619px
>>51263470
>"oh how nice, he's going to have his character come and help me up, he's not so bad after all" I thought to myself
>-and proceeds to unload a pistol round directly into my skull...
>everything goes silent for moment as everyone, including the DM, proceed to make a collective "wait wut?"
>all eyes are now on That Guy who remains silent as if he's waiting for the DM's upcoming description of his character blowing my character's brains out
>this game was over r20 and we weren't using video chat, but we could all he had a shit eating grin on his fat face
>eventually the DM snaps out and decides this shit ain't gonna fly and luckily saves me DM fiat
>That Guy's reaction follows almost instantly, which is him getting pissed at the DM and rage quitting
>one post and out
>no desperately trying to justify his actions to the rest of the party
>no hour long argument with the DM
>he just gets pissed and leaves
>there and gone like a flash in a pan
>we all sit there in silent disbelief again
>a few minutes later we soon wrap up the encounter and continue the campaign like nothing happened

Anticlimactic I know, but to this day I have never seen anyone rage quit as fast as that fucker
>>
>>51207638

You know how some people autistically rules lawyer in their favor but ignore all rules that don't help them immediately? Earlier today, I ran into the honest rules autist, and it isn't any better.

>Fantasy campaign
>Players, after some adventuring, attached themselves to this one particular nation.
>War going on
>They get orders to accompany a particular army and march.
>Get some bad news, things going poorly on other fronts, issue orders for forced marching, better arrive in ragged shape than arrive too late
>Make some Con rolls on behalf of the army average against the pace the PCs set.
>Not do so great, tell them that after a few days of this, you're getting people dropping dead.
>One PC has idea
>Gets together a bunch of the basic healing potions
>Asks if it would help the soldiers if he put a little bit of the potions in the evening meal for the troops, giving up some combat effectiveness because if they fall apart now it doesn't matter.
>Not RAW, but it's a cool idea, and I ok it.
>Cue in other autist.
>It doesn't work like that, you can't dilute a potion, they're not taking damage, REEEEEE

I finally had to just resort to "I'm the DM, I'm okaying it", but I have no idea why anyone would be so autistic to fight against something that was helping them out.
>>
>>51260604
>>51258344
>>51255272
>>51253741
>>51251633
>>51251353
>>51251113
>>51249675
>>51249565
>>51249518

I appreciate the support, here I was thinking I was just being a sore loser for not having fun.

Earlier today they sent out a group message asking when the next game is. I said that I haven't had time to work on a new campaign yet, but they are free to plan and DM their own mini adventure to hold us over if they want to play that bad.
No response from anybody. Apparently they expected me to be a forever DM on top of it.
>>
He was a stuck up elitist know it all. I was just starting to play table tops, so I wasn't too familiar with the more minute rules out of memory. If I dared to ask about a rule or if a rule for a certain thing existed, he would call me stupid and/or berate me for not knowing everything like the back of my hands. By the time I had learned things he then shifted to "it doesn't need to be 100% by the rules" smugness if I dared to ask the DM if he had made a call or followed a rule out of curiosity. The character I had build he alternated between laughing at how poorly it was made or how I had done it with a guide because clearly a noob like me couldn't make a character who did one thing well by accident. All around a massive dick. And all this because he had a superiority complex, but wasn't that good at anything so he just tried to seem more competent by picking on new comers, even outside the games. He would smug at freshmen for not knowing something that hadn't been taught to them yet.
>>
>>51249028
how did you look at this post and think "yep, that's legible and rational, hit send"?
>>
>>51249091
Anon why don't you try explaining to them that when you tell them something they should fucking THINK about what they're doing?
>>
File: svKZgAa.jpg (60KB, 700x561px) Image search: [Google]
svKZgAa.jpg
60KB, 700x561px
I gm'd a game a whila ago about the usual "unleashed super darkness" story line. Had a great group of characters, including a veteran soldier (turned fighter), a druid who sensed the evil shifting the natural order, a ranger/rouge who is in love with the druid, a wizard who thinks (secretly) that the ancient evil could be used or harnassed for magical might. The "that guy" was a cleric. Also a time travelling caveman barbarian named "Chunga"

Started at level 3 and moved on, but based on starting gold and a few early adventures the cleric manages to purchase a few items, namely a circlet of light ray, a sash of fly, and a radient holy vestments of blessing. He then became what chunga reffered to as a "sun spirit" who flew around an lasered shit.

This wasnt the problem, what WAS the problem was how attached and forgetfull he was about his magic items. He sucked at sneak amd hide checks, especially since he was GLOWING and flying around. He also became super pissed when we came to a part of the story with a paranoid old wizard who surrounded himself with antimagic wards to keep the darkness at bay.
Part1/2
>>
File: 3kolUAm.png (594KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
3kolUAm.png
594KB, 720x720px
>>51266843
>suddenly you feel really heavy, you begin falling quite slowly, make a tumble check
>him: what the fuck? Okay whatever *rolls*
>okay you take about 3 damage, and notice your shirt is waaay less glowly
>goddammit why are you doing this? I know you dont like my character, which is why you never let him hide or sneak, now i cant fly?
>uh sure, whatever. Lets move on
>*combat*
>i want to ray beam it
>okay, roll d4s instead of d6s
>okay WHAT THE FUCK? Why are you nerfing my character??? Are you trying to kill me off?
Keep in mind the wizard and druid's spells are also way down as well since they are in an ANTIMAGIC FIELD, but they dont know it since the party wizard failed a knowledge arcana roll

Essentially he got up and left. He straight up quit and started badmouthing me to other people and players. The rest of the group played on, and finnished it, and the barb player even explained ooc to the guy what happened (ie antimagic) but he still refused to play, claiming my use of that tactic in such a powerfully magical group was DM Powergaming to kill players
>>
>>51264094
>Why do autists do autistic things?

Anon please, you play tabletop games, surely you've come to understand that they're just a part of your hobby that you have to accept by now. Fuck, I mean you even post on /tg/. This place is full of them.
>>
>>51266861
>>
1 liek = 1prayer
>>
>>51237900
I think "average person knowledge" should look something like this.

- Unless you travel a lot (i.e., unless you're rich or a vagabond), you know basically nothing about the world beyond your town and the surrounding area.

- If this is the real medieval world, you know next to nothing about the operations of the Church or the nobility. You know who your local lord or duke is, and you probably know the king/queen's name and some propaganda about them, but nothing deeper than that.

- If this is a fantasy setting, you have encountered few, if any, supernatural beings. You may have heard certain things as folklore (like "vampires are killed by sunlight"), but it's never been confirmed for you. Seeing something like this confirmed might be very surprising.

- In addition to not being able to read, literacy is not particularly useful beyond being able to send and receive letters. In medieval times, 40 books is considered a very impressive library, and a lot of books are around 50 pages long. (Though if this is a fantasy setting, there will be books of ANCIENT LORE that would be really useful).
>>
File: 1377089708983.jpg (82KB, 700x714px) Image search: [Google]
1377089708983.jpg
82KB, 700x714px
>>51267774
>Adventurers
>Not traveling a lot
Bitch! The door!
>>
>>51267821
Everyone has to have a first adventure anon.
>>
>>51207638
>dm can't partisan npc and DM knowledge
Moradin, how horrifying
>>
>>51267821
>average person i.e. npc commoners
>are adventurers.

Hoe about you, mouseman?
>>
>>51267774
Are you actually retarded?

- Unless you travel a lot (i.e., unless you're rich or a vagabond), you know basically nothing about the world beyond your town and the surrounding area.
- If this is the real medieval world, you know next to nothing about the operations of the Church or the nobility. You know who your local lord or duke is, and you probably know the king/queen's name and some propaganda about them, but nothing deeper than that.

What if your character is from the big city? A journeyman crafter native to the kingdom's capital is gonna have plenty of gossip filter down.

- If this is a fantasy setting, you have encountered few, if any, supernatural beings. You may have heard certain things as folklore (like "vampires are killed by sunlight"), but it's never been confirmed for you. Seeing something like this confirmed might be very surprising.

There's an entire wealth of folklore in a world where monsters ARENT real. People will know common monster lore.

- In addition to not being able to read, literacy is not particularly useful beyond being able to send and receive letters. In medieval times, 40 books is considered a very impressive library, and a lot of books are around 50 pages long. (Though if this is a fantasy setting, there will be books of ANCIENT LORE that would be really useful).

>>
>>51268096
For the purposes of game, "average person" would translate to "average adventurer."

Just like the average plumber would know how to install a sink even though the average person wouldn't.
>>
>>51241953
I love when this happens
>>
>>51207638

I don't allow my knowledge to form a resistance movement agaisnt me either.
>>
>>51259330
Don't wait. Do it now.
>>
>>51215094
That kind of sounds like you didn't want to have fun and participate in the game.
>>
>>51218487
It doesen't feel as visceral though, and that bard wanted revenge.
>>
>>51226054
An elephant gun is a gun built to kill large, charging game like Rinos or Elephants with a single shot. They were generally break action guns with 2 shots in case of a misfire. They were typically 4 or 8 bore guns.

The Point of an elephant gun is to stop a charging elephant cold by shooting it with a (typically) quarter pound of lead at close range. It was a weapon of last resort and not one that anyone would want to use.
>>
>>51266861
What a shithead
>>
>>51266717
I could make sense of >>51249028 's post just fine.
>Anon has new players who aren't online often.
>He asked them both if they could come in early for character creation.
>They said yes, but didn't make it on time
>Player 1 is so late he has to just watch to understand the game
>Player 2 is slightly less late but doesn't want to watch, he wants to learn the rules while playing
>Actual session begins, Anon asks if they can make it
>They don't answer and go offline
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.