[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Viability of a system agnostic aventure series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1458363597029.gif (246KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
1458363597029.gif
246KB, 500x477px
Hi /tg/. Going right at the point here: as most, I'm a fan of the Zelda franchise who first played ALttP but my love is OoT.

I'm working on adapting the game to be a series of adventures with a plot doable by your generic murder hobo party.

What I would like from you is opinions on the system to use. I know /tg/ have a half-baked system but that is off my limits. I want to work with what I know.

This leaves me with:
a. System agnostic, but this limits gameplay possibilities;
b. Homebrew a system, but as we all know, doing can kill the project while still in the making;
c. D&D 5e, because;
d. D&D 4e, the one I'm most inclined to. The tactical approach to combat is similar on how Zelda approaches the puzzle style of combat. The use of grid allows for physical puzzles that shouldn't be solved by die roll but by thinking (and allows for puzzle like the 2d games). The monster creation is great, the encounter creation math is solid, rewards are simple... Overall, it is the easiest ruleset for a GM. But I don't know if there's enough interest in a 4e version.

Or should I go elsewhere? Please, I'm all ears.
>>
>>51203451
You seem like you have the most ideas for 4e, so do 4e. Are you doing this for a specific group of people, or just anybody?
>>
File: 1415451252568.jpg (23KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1415451252568.jpg
23KB, 512x384px
Writing adventures is already a quixotesn goal since so few people play from pre written adventures already.
System agnotic will be cool but difficult to do well. Lets say the part stumbles with a monster, how should the DM know what stats to run and how??
>>
>>51203451
Do 4e, it's what you're looking for and there's plenty of people who still love and play 4e, myself included.
>>
>>51203780
Anybody who might be interest. I'll release it here for playtest and stress test by the Touhou.

>>51203837
Agreed. In this case opting for a system helps even the other systems DM on how to work out it.

>>51203838
There's plenty? Always though myself an outcast.

It is decided then. Thank you.
>>
The closest you can get to system agnostic is OSR, since most OSR systems share the same central resolution mechanic.
>>
>>51203451
>I'm working on adapting the game to be a series of adventures with a plot doable by your generic murder hobo party.
Don't do it. Instead, write a setting primer, and in the very end, add a section on possible plothooks that may or may not tie into each other.
I guarantee you as a veteran GM, the setting primers are much better at offering food for my mind than prewritten adventures.
>>
>>51205468
Well prewritten adventures are okay too. Though they rarely survive contact with DMs unchanged.
>>
>>51204510
>There's plenty? Always though myself an outcast.

There's a lot who'd like to play but can't get a group I think.

Myself included
>>
>>51206792
There's a new wave of people that suddenly likes 4e now that the newer one is out.
>>
>>51208711
More likely, the people who used to be vocally anti 4 have moved on to Pathfinder, where they stay relatively well contained. Despite the vocal opposition from 3rd Edition diehards, for was never an unpopular or a bad system.
>>
>>51203451
Personally think system agnostic would be p cool for anything But combat heavy murder hoboism. Literally any other conflict/story/roleplay Thing would do just fine
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.