[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WotC trying again at digitial MtG / DnD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 12222304.jpg (47KB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
12222304.jpg
47KB, 640x325px
>We are reimagining digital versions of Magic and other Wizards games.
https://company.wizards.com/article/press/making-moves
So, it looks like they might be trying to make either a good challenge to Hearthstone or just make shitty VR apps...

Do you think they'll actually succeed this time?
>>
>>51202577

Nah, though Duels is honestly ok right now.
Just needs a better deckbuilder.
>>
File: $_12.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
>>51202577
If we talk about f2p MtG digital game - there will be no succes until they incorporate a Pokemon TCGO gimmick with digital booster code in every physical booster pack
>>
File: customerservice.gif (1MB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
customerservice.gif
1MB, 500x376px
>>51202577
SYNGERY
>>
>>51202577
I reckon they could succeed at making a shitty VR app.
>>
>digital version of tabletop games blowing the fuck up
>GW and WotC release shitty spinoffs instead of just copy-pasting the systems over
>>
>>51202674
The fact that a system works IRL doesn't mean that it works online.
MTG suffer a lot from the whole priority ordeal.
>>
>>51202858
The reason it works IRL is because people literally don't play the game properly and skip a bunch of steps that sometimes completely fuck up the game state.
>>
>>51202577
Didn't they make an MTG game where you had to spend real money on cards and then they went "lol, game's closing in a month, all your digital cards are gone."
>>
4E video game please. PLEASE.
>>
>>51208381
I think they've got a digital thing, but I don't think I've heard of one that got shut down along with people's money.

I think the planeswalker 2015 had microtransactions though
>>
>>51202577
Reminder to never trust WoTC with anything digital.
>>
>>51208381
>>51208649
MTG Tactics was the game they stole your money with.
>>
they have no choice. digitize or die like blockbuster.

it's not even that complicated to make a good virtual tabletop engine for dnd, plenty of people have done so in their spare time alone. let's see if they can figure it out, or if they're going to have the horse designed by committee problems which I suspect they will as they do in all of their shit these days.
>>
>>51211369

Wotc will probably just come up with a new card game made just for online play.
>>
>>51208430
You know what? I find it tragic that the system that players called too 'video gamey' at the time never got it's own video game. I think it would have been a killer game.
>>
reminder that during the Shards of Alara prerelease that if you cast Skeletonize and killed a creature with it it crashed your game. reminder that in Duels if you flickered your baby walkers for any reason they would return flipped into their walker version. For a game that's turing complete it's absurd how bad Wizard's is at digital products.

For DnD I remember like 5 years ago when they demoed a version on a table-sized prototype microsoft surface. The minifigs had QR codes on the base so the Surface could read them and pull up character info when you placed it on the screen. Had a cool radial menu like in Temple of Elemental Evil and could track line of sight on the map. If Wizards can make something even remotely close to that and keep if supremely moddable they'll have digital gold on their hands
>>
>>51202620
magic duels with booster code redemption would only appeal to standard players. Still sounds good though and you also just enjoy magic more once you got cards on hand
>>
>>51202615
And search function in collection
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.