[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Late Editon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 17

File: beowulf8[1].jpg (24KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf8[1].jpg
24KB, 500x281px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
>>51192401

What is the highest level campaign you have played yet?
>>
>>51200360
Assuming every attack autohits but doesn't crit...

Level 11 GWF GWM PAM Oathbreaker Paladin with 20 Charisma and 20 Strength with a level of UA revised ranger against a humanoid with a level of barbarian for rages whenever (Though a bit of multiclassing allows you to go quarterstaff+shield with duelling for almost as much damage and 2 AC and only needing 20 charisma, no strength required)

Attack
6.1+5+5+4.5+2+2+10
Extra attack
6.1+5+5+4.5+2+2+10
Butt bonus attack (or GWM bonus action)
3+5+5+4.5+2+2+10 (6.1+5+5+4.5+2+2+10)
Reaction attack from PAM
6.1+5+5+4.5+2+2+10

Or, basically, roughly 31*4 for about 124 damage. The only resource used here is rage, which is two a day for an entire minute and gives other benefits.

Or, you could just be a regular oathbreaker 11 with none of that nonsense and not even using GWM's -5 because let's be real, you're not going to. Heck, you don't need GWM at all.

In that case, you get
(6.1+5+5+4.5)*3
+
(3+5+5+4.5)*1

For 79.3 damage.
That's a level 11 fucking build, none of your level 20 fighter bullshit.

But we're not even talking level 20 features here. Oath of Treachery Paladin gets a feature that lets them add 20 damage onto every single fucking attack if I remember right, among other things.

You could also try a undyinglight1/firesorc6/oathbreaker11/UAranger1/barbarian1 build using green flame blade.
>>
>>51200446
1. Generally you can use anything from, say, an Eberron UA anywhere if your DM doesn't think it's bullshit. Unless your DM is really concerned about setting integrity and making a village for every type of half-elemental half-human crossbreed listed in the UA or just doesn't want 'special snowflakey' races, they might well allow it... If it's not broken.
2. If you're the DM, you should definitely read a good bit of the book. If you're the player, at least read your class abiliteis and understand what they do, and read the rules around it. If you're a fighter or barbarian you may want to check things like grapple rules and such, too. You don't need a perfect understanding of all the skills and how your DM runs it, but you need to know your options in combat.
3. Roll20 is notorious for having a pretty bad community. Full of trash, but there's some actually good games in there, so be careful of who you end up with. You should hope to get along with the DM and they can help you somewhat, at least, or else you probably shouldn't be playing.
4. Any non-official content. Trying to create races/classes/whatever by yourself without experience often leads to potentially abusable stats that could only apply to one game ever, or a character that doesn't fill any real role or something like that. It's generally much better to stick to what exists. DMs are right to be somewhat cautious of entire homebrew races (as opposed to just class archetype homebrews)
>>
Since I evidently managed to choose the worst possible time to ask my questions, I'll link them to this new thread.
>>51200446
>>51200455
>>
>>51200508
Three.
Some of us had, including me, never played before so our DM was running us through LMoP to get us acquainted. Both the first two sessions were in November, and after some internet-related and then computer-related troubles, the DM then just plain declared that he couldn't adjust to Roll20 over physical, and it's been all-but officially cancelled.

And I was enjoying myself and watching the Fighter get his ass kicked by wolves, too.
>>
>>51200518
> paladin
> level 11
> 5 ASI (6 if you aren't variant human)
???
>>
>>51200455
5. I feel a lot of people get into the 'I'm just doing what my character would do' mindset.
Look about your group. There's three main ways of doing things: 'I'm my character's guardian angel, I should lead them down the right path', somewhere inbetween and 'My character has 8 intelligence, therefore he shall do stupid things sometimes. We're roleplaying, not trying to win D&D.'

If you stick too far to 'guardian angel' (Your character just so happens to go to where everybody else is despite there being no reason they'd know they're there) or 'roleplaying' (My character would, in this situation, stab all of you then walk away. It's what my character would do. Oh, my character would jump on the trap and get us all killed, he's stupid like that') then it might agitate people.
Some groups prefer to go more hardcore and be good, some groups just dick around a bit.

Don't be too much of a powergamer who won't even make slight compromises from the perfect build, don't be too much of a 'I'm going to make a useless joke character', don't argue too much over rules in the middle of the game and instead do that afterwards, don't keep interrupting people or trying to one-up people (sometimes it's nice to let people have their moments)... Don't make a character that would logically just leave the party completely straight away... That sort of stuff.
You're sort of free to do as you like, but have a reason for your character doing what they do, even if it's a 'guided' choice.
>>
>>51200589
The original poster was talking about level 20 builds or something for some weird reason, so I took the liberty of not justifying it when you could easily get that many ASIs by that level.

And, actually, it's only 4 ASIs required.
Variant human with point buy, 16 in strength and charisma. 4 ASIs from there to get to 20 in both.
If you want GWM as well.. Don't. That's just stupid.
>>
>>51200621
>>51200589
Or I guess the alternative thing mentioned is to take 3 levels of warlock so you only need 2 ASIs to get to 20 charisma and you can say 'fuck strength'

The real question is why anon was talking about level 20 builds in the first place. At least, I assumed they were since they mentioned sorcerer18/fighter2
>>
>>51200360
Give a benchmark and condition.
What level? 27 point-buy? Only self buff allow?

Give us a target enemy too while you're at it. We need its AC and saving throw to set up a dick measuring contest.
>>
Hey guys,

we're gonna be doing a 3rd level party with my mates after a few years of hiatus and decided to try 5th edition. The DM knows the system, we other have played 3rd edition for years (including 3.5 and PF).

Books used are the core ones and the Sword Coast guide, since we used to play a lot of FR back in the day.

Now, I want to play someone who can raise a lot of dead people. What is the best class for necromancing in 5e?

Cleric, Necro Wizard or maybe Undying Pact Warlock?
>>
>>51200508
My group only ever made it to a max of 11 in 5e.
We were playing the Dragon Cult set of expacs, and then the game died shortly after we got the flying castle.
>>
>>51200518
Sorry could you explain the what each number represents in

>(6.1+5+5+4.5)*3
>+
>(3+5+5+4.5)*1

And doesn't the treachery paladin add +20 only when it has advantage? I would have assumed after its first attack it loses its invisibility so can only be used once really.
>>
>>51200649
Wizard is pretty much your only choice here. Other classes can raise undead but won't be able to give them buff.
>>
>>51200569
Thanks. I'll try to make sure any homebrew characters are balanced, but that would be best left to the DM, who'd have a better idea of it.
I don't really plan on DMing anytime soon. I might later I suppose, but the one time I did, there was a lot of exposition and not nearly as much gameplay as there should've been. The player (only one) said it was still fairly enjoyable, but more akin to reading a book with minor choose-your-own-adventure elements than anything.
That's good to know. I'll have a look around for other communities maybe, but I think it'll be worth trying to find a good group with Roll20, as I like their board and stuff.
Okay. I wasn't planning on creating anything without a lot more experience under my belt, but it seems like their is a lot of homebrew content online that is reasonably balanced - this is more what I was talking about.
>>51200609
Thanks, this helps. I'll try to follow your advice, it seems solid.
>>
>>51200649
Necromancer Wizard is your only real chpoice.

Undying Light Warlock is like a... HOLY Warlock. The "Undying" part refers to their radiant healing energy, not necromancy.
>>
>>51200632
I think they were just using that as an extreme. Thats what I took from the context of it anyway.

I think they were looking for the highest damage output per round in general.

I for one am interested to see what classes have the highest damage at each milestone (say 3/5/7/11/15)
>>
>>51200692
>>51200649
If the option is available to you(r party), try to convince one of the other players to play an Oathbreaker Paladin. They will buff your unded pretty damn well.

Also necro wizards are literally the best undead raisers because their undead are flat better.
>>
>>51200711
No, there's a pact called Undying. Not Undying Light. It refers to an undead patron, such as Larloch in FR. Gives you some necro stuff.
>>
>>51200721
He is talking about the undying warlock from SCA.

Yeah... stupid Wotc named thing similarly.
>>
>>51200721
> 3
Moon Druid
> 11
Animate Object forge cleric with Spiritual Weapon and decent action attack?
>>
Is there a canon Archfey in FR I can use for my Warlock path or should I just make one up? Evil, preferably.
>>
>>51200708
I'd be very reluctant to bring homebrew to somebody you don't know. Especially if you're proposing a character for a campaign on roll20 or whatever it is. Check if they allow UA content, and you can use UA content there.
The /5eg/ way of approaching things tends to be 'If you can't support your character concept, fluff it'
Say, if you have a fighter, you can refluff them as a samurai instead of making a homebrew samurai archetype. Refluff their greatsword as a katana, refluff their armour as some sort of edo armour. No actual mechanical change.

Homebrew should always be the last thing you turn to, and making homebrew yourself...
You could ask the DM to homebrew something for you.

/5eg/ absolutely despises a certain DnD wiki because it's mostly homebrew.

Try to make characters within the system rather than homebrewing things, otherwise you might as well play a more freeform character creation such as GURPS or Mutants and Masterminds.

If you're friendly with the DM, you can probably think up various homebrews together, though, that they're willing to try out.
>>
As a paladin, how do I make sure I don't overshadow the party's bladelock, and help them have fun (and survive)?
>>
>>51200772
Also, it says that:
>Cantrips
>You know two cantrips of your choice from the warlock spell list. You learn additional warlock cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Warlock table.

So this means I get two cantrips by default and then two other ones on top of that as a first level warlock?
>>
>>51200760
>animate object and spiritual weapon
Thats hardly something that you can do every round.

The question was asking for something that delivers consistent high damage every round.
>>
>>51200721
I'd say the main milestones are 3 (Character is properly defined at this point), 5 (Main major power spike), 11 (Second power spike), 17 (Third power spike, though mostly for casters), 20 (Capstone)

That said 6/7 tends to have a couple of goodies for certain people such as war magic or paladin level 7's feature or...

But, honestly, I think if you want just raw, reliable damage you should make a sorlock firing line with agonizing and repelling blast and blast everything away.

Or some artificer fuckery where they all throw thunderstones to hoard all the enemies into one place, throw a tanglefoot bag to keep them in place then drench them all in alchemist fire. .. That sounds fun, but not as reliable as eldritch blast.
>>
>>51200773
> The /5eg/ way of approaching things tends to be 'If you can't support your character concept, fluff it'

That is how PHB and DMG recommend us to play.
>>
File: Snrub.jpg (28KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Snrub.jpg
28KB, 500x376px
>>51200804
You don't, because the paladin is just so much better than the bladelock.
I'm sorry.

Your only option is to be a shitbag instead.
>>
>>51200804
Remind him that unlike you, he has more tools in his kit other than melee. Eldritch blast and control spell in particular.
>>
>>51200830
I mean without acknowleding how bad bladelock is out loud. What are good spells to support their fun with?
>>
>>51200806
Why wouldn't you be able to do that every round? Level 11 Cleric can cast animate object 3 times. Each casting is long enough to last the whole encounter.
>>
>>51200804
Hide your power level and don't blow your huge damage smiting load unless things are looking bad. Let him feel like he's contributing until someone gets knocked out and you have to swoop in and save the day and undo all of the "letting him feel important" work you were doing.
>>
>>51200773
Good to know. I'll try to stay with the official material then. That seems fine, as it sounds like I could still get the gameplay I want for just about any character using only proper material.
>>
>>51200854
So basically conserve my spell slots until an emergency? Sounds good. Having played full casters before I'm used to hanging with cantrips until I can use a spell for maximum impact.
>>
>>51200879
Fluff wizard as master swordman.

Magic missile is a sonic boom sword strike.

Fireball is you cutting so fast, you ignite flame and create a dust explosion.

Darkness is you being super skillful, enough that you cut through light.
>>
>>51200508
>>51200609

I agree on this, level 5 is just long enough for people to get on each others nerves. Unless everyone in the group is the same type of player, the meme of level 5 campaigns only will prove true
>>
>>51200814
Yeah thats what the original post was saying, that eldritch blast dealt I think 52 damage per round, a fighter did 60, and there was a third that did bulk damage as well.

>>51200832
A bladelock with darkness and both blast invocations can be hilariously fun. Assuming you go fighter 1/Warlock X to have heavy armour and possibly shield.

You can charge through enemy lines (pushing them away with eldritch blast) have darkness cast on yourself to remove LOS to grant disadvantage on enemy attacks and focus down enemy spellcasters.

Or if you want to blow your load immediately, cast darkness and misty step next to their spellcasters.

>>51200837
Yeah that lets you do 65 a turn assuming each of the objects can hit on the same turn. Which is a pretty big if considering its 10 creatures.
>>
>>51200879
Also, about homebrew. I'm having some difficulty finding a reliable source on all official content - I suppose I'll need to purchase the player's handbook for that. I was just wondering if the added races/etc in campaigns like Eberron were considered homebrew or had defined attributes? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm mainly asking because, as I think I mentioned, I really like warforged and would love to play as one.
>>
>>51200879
>>51200903
Dat feel when I fluff Lizardfolk as robot.
Natural armor = built-in plate armor
Claw = built-in blade
Bite = energy drain
>>
How large is the internal area of a bag of holding? Can I cast glyph of warding on an object inside to explode if someone puts their hand in there that isn't me without the "item moves more than 10 foot" clause triggering? Would an explosion carry on outside the entrance of he bag?
>>
>>51200921
There's a list of all options for all the official content somewhere if someone'd post it.
I don't have the most up to date version.

If you find something you want to look at, there'll be a pdf of whatever UA or extra book in the mega trove somewhere.
>>
File: 1456602517232.png (223KB, 405x797px) Image search: [Google]
1456602517232.png
223KB, 405x797px
>>51200804
Tell him to make a new character, who is also a Paladin, so you can be Paladin-Bros.

Bladelock sucks, it's literally one of the worse classes in the game along with the vanilla Ranger and 4 Elements Monk. There is no situation in which melee will be a better option for the Warlock than using magic, and if those situations DO arise, any Warlock can learn Booming Blade, which is better than the Bladelock's melee anyway.
>>
>>51200968
Bladelock can do pretty good damage... but at the level where no one actually play.
>>
>>51200773
>/5eg/ absolutely despises a certain DnD wiki because it's mostly homebrew.

I despise the wiki because it is poorly labelled homebrew that makes ignorant but well meaning players attempting to quickly google something specific show up with retarded ass shit and nobody realizes for five sessions.
>>
>>51200508
>What is the highest level campaign you have played yet?

We got to level four once
>>
>>51200977
Anything a Bladelock can do, another Warlock pact can do just as well or better. Even their melee abilities are trivialized by Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade existing, which any pact can learn.
>>
>>51200991
Pretty much.
>>
What are all the different ways to max a weapon? i know I can silver it and enchant it, but is that all?
>>
>>51201042
>enchant it

Not really. Only in as much as you can make magic items, which you can't really do. You can cast spells to grant temporary effects such as with flametongue weapon, I believe.

The only thing you can really do is silvering it, but you might ask your DM if you're allowed to do other things with it.
>>
>>51200946
Great, I'll try to find it. Don't know how much luck I'll have though.
>>
>>51201042
> enchant
not in 5e brah.
>>
>>51200930
A bag of holding does not have "space" in the sense that it's a big room when empty. It extends by putting stuff in there. So, to answer your question: no.
>>
>>51200508
im woefully unprepared for tomorrows session

need ideas for encounters in a generic spooky forest
>>
>>51201060
Is this it? reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/300zz1/links_to_all_available_free_legal_pdfs_for_5e_so/
Or maybe this: complete-reference.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=116
>>
What is an Artificer? An inventor and tinkerer of magical items and effects.

>can't make weapons magical
>can't infuse items with permanent effects
>can't use infusions for anything but manipulation of action economy, at most 8 hours in advance
>can only craft 5 magic items over their entire lives that can be permanently lost or used it
>cannot create any novel item or effect, ten thousand artificers would each invent one of the same half dozen items
>primary class feature is a robot that doesn't scale and isn't modular

We're supposed to enjoy never tinkering or inventing anything, I guess?

I can't even enchant the fighters sword to have fire damage for a day? Because that's the first thing a class like Artificer makes me want to do.
>>
>>51201198
>can't make weapons magical
Magic Weapon.

Tinkering is a downtime activity, not a class feature.
>>
>>51201198
Use the artificer from the Eberron UA my dude, it's more of an enchantment wizard.
>>
>>51200917
speaking of high damage per round, what do you think of

UA Ranger 1 / Barbarian 1 / Oathbreaker 7 / Fighter 11

Which nets you

[2d6 + 5 (str) + 5 (cha) + 2 (humanoids) + 2 (raging) ] x 3 = 61 damage per turn.

You can improve further by going Monster Hunter, so that you can add up to 2d12 to the damage should you need to (such as crits)
>>
>>51200968

Be careful this often invites autists to come and talk about their Bladelocks which were awesome in a vacuum while ignoring all the downsides and the sheer amount of resources you need to kinda do what a bunch of other classes already do better and all while still being surpassed by regular Warlocks
>>
File: PC Weapon Crafting.jpg (28KB, 520x381px) Image search: [Google]
PC Weapon Crafting.jpg
28KB, 520x381px
>>51201198
Let's be honest, Artificer only exists for the gunner archetype, because for some reason /k/-autists can't have fun in a fantasy game if they're not shooting bullets at things.
>>
>>51200805
No a 1st level warlock knows 2 cantrips
As a character levels up they gain cantrips as shown in the cantrips known section.
Thats either a willful misreading or autism there.
>>
>>51201251

>>Whhhaa I hate guns #Liberalpussy
>>I have no idea how much better than Alchemist is than the MehSmith
>>
>>51200805
at higher levels = above 1st level
>>
How freely available should Plate be?

My group is going into a major capital city soon, and the fighter wants to spend his money on a suit of full plate.

They've just hit level 5.
Should he be able to easily find a set of plate to buy? Is it too early to be giving him plate?

I was thinking of maybe making the blacksmiths be out of stock due to conflict and tensions elsewhere, but he can find one willing to craft him one (which would take a while). Or should I just give him what he wants?
>>
>>51201320
Give it to him, 5 is fine, you only have to worry before 3 for a fighter.
>>
>>51201320
a major city's best smith would likely have at least 1 suit on hand
>>
>>51201320
If the full plate isn't magical, let him have it. God knows Rogues and other light-armor classes can hit the same AC for like less than a tenth of that cost. You're really worried about the class that's supposed to be tanky being tanky?
>>
>>51201320

Hes 5th fucking level. Magic items are usually popping up with fair regularity by this point in printed material and your worried about a point or two of AC with a mundane piece of gear so much so that your

Now from a realism stand point a suit of Plate is usually custom made for an individual so yeah it IS logical to have to get it crafted preferably during downtime and a little wait probably wont hurt
>>
>>51201320
I think that level is fine for plate, but you can't just find one on a rack, it needs to be made to fit. So in addition to the high gold cost, it would take a week for a fully-equipped smith's shop (employing several labourers full-time) to smith one. Maybe more for a smaller shop. That's after taking his measurements.
>>
>>51201320
Id say does it add to the story to withhold it from him?
Is there a good in story reason no one would have enough metal to make plate armor?
If yes, plothook: open supply lines to the city so the black smiths can work (even though they wpuld most likely be stopping food instead of plate armor).
Or do you just not want the fighter to have good ac?
>>
>>51201369

*Your going to deny him?

Fucking typos
>>
>>51201320
Depends on the setting and military situation really, armourers in a capital would likely have a few suits or at least parts ready and lying around.
>>
>>51200772

The Queen of Air and Darkness, the Prince of Frost, and coven of mother hags can be an Archfey patron
>>
>>51201396
Are they canon in FR though?
>>
>>51200930

glyphs of warding fizz out if moved

Contingency is what you want
>>
Do you think it would be fine to remove the 1/minute limits on alchemist items - swift step, smoke stick and tanglefoot bag?

Thunderstone and healing draught are already preferred for the first two picks generally. It's not too big a buff, since there's not massive benefit to spamming smoke or tanglefoot bag stuff except, say, before a combat, which would be the main problem of keeping track of when each thing expires. Swift step might then be used to gradually pass it around the whole party when running away, but.. Eh.

It wouldn't be a big change, but I like the idea of them all being at-will items.
>>
>>51201320
I see this so much in 5e, DMs who are terrified of giving out plate armor. What gives?

My working theory is that the DMs who do this tend to be former 3.PF players or DMs who are used to massive modifiers and high level equipment being a necessity for of-level encounters, but then they see 5e's number pruning and automatically assume that high AC=invincibility due to the simplification of the system and the fact that generally; PCs and NPCs alike tend to have a lot lower to hit modifiers when compared to 3.PF.

But really, is 2 points of AC going to break your game? At 5th level? When you're going to be fighting creatures that will have +6,7,8 hit mods and probably casting as well? Or is it the concern that he also uses a shield and has defense fighting style? If so why would you punish him for his build when he's likely sacrificed offensive capability? You can have intelligent creatures avoid him and go for the squishies you know. Environmental dangers that armor can't mitigate, encounters that can't really be brute forced or tanked, get creative in your encounter building and stop worrying about AC.
>>
>>51201198
Infusions can be used to cast 'disguise self' on people other than yourself, is one example, and allows you to use a shield yet still cast a spell without shield proficiency.
It's pretty hard to lose magical items, but it's certainly possible. The DM should rightfully replace it or allow you downtime and a bit of money to replace it, since after all you did 'invent' it.

Everything else isn't possible because of the confusion, bulk and broken capabilities. They'd have to make a massive table or guide to creating an item when they don't want to do that for 5e.
Crafting magical items is down to the DM because generally magical items are direct upgrades - like class features - to your character that are rarely lost.
And, honestly, I don't think a 'I'm going to buff you all out of combat then just dick around throwing acid everywhere' character wouldn't be very interesting. 5e is already trying to avoid buffmania using concentration.
>>
>>51201198
>>can't make weapons magical

Sure he can.

>>can't infuse items with permanent effects

Sure he can. He can do that like, 5 times.
>>can't use infusions for anything but manipulation of action economy, at most 8 hours in advance

Get a ring of spell storing, and the shenanigans are unlimited

>>can only craft 5 magic items over their entire lives that can be permanently lost or used it

See rules: Crafting Magical Items

If your DM is never going to allow it, maybe play another class instead of forcing things away from a compromise the rest of the table doesn't want

>>cannot create any novel item or effect, ten thousand artificers would each invent one of the same half dozen items

Sure he can. Alchemy and Gunsmithing is all new shit

Wait, are you complaining about not playing "Homebrewer, the Class"?

>>primary class feature is a robot that doesn't scale and isn't modular

>>He doesn't know once you unlock Fabricate, you can just keep making more
>>
>>51201407

Yes. Very much so.
>>
>>51201454
I used to be reluctant to give out plate, never played anything but 5e.

For me it was video games. I expected a gear progression, when instead you get the beast nonmagical gear in the game basically immediately. That still feels wrong to me even now, but I've accepted it.
>>
>>51201546
well for fighters its pretty much required. Besides as you say its the best non-magical, there is still opportunity for progression into the realms of the enchanted.
>>
>>51201546
Not many people want to jump into their heroic knight fantasy as some peasant with a rough-spun cloth tunic. Hell, I can't even convince my players to start games at level 1 alot of the time, no matter what kind of starting gear they get. (Although this is due mainly to the casters wanting to start out with more than a single spell).
>>
>>51200571
Lore is mutable and less important in D&D than you think, since everything can generally always be made to fit anywhere. Sure, Warforged as they are only exist in ebberon, but that's more related to their history (they were mass produced for a great war that took place in the setting's history) than their mechanics. There isn't anything limiting an intelligent, sentient, living construct in most any setting.

2. Most good DMs should be willing to let you fully learn as you play. The rules for play are deceptively easy, but can be a bit overwhelming if you try to learn them all at once. You should know what your character can do and some basic info from the book, but past that you'll be better off learning on the job.

3. Roll20 is a grab bag of quality. For what it's worth, you can filter for campaigns that have "New Players Welcome" listed.

4. Homebrew is anything not officially released by Wizards of the Coast. A lot of DMs will have their own house rules or homebrewed character options, and there are a few really good quality and well balanced professional third party brews, but a large portion of DMs only really want anything that Wizards has released because they obviously made the game so they have the best idea how to make balanced options within it, and also because it's easily accessible by the DM. For your first game, you should consider playing something out of the core rulebook, as most extra content tends to build on and offer more complexity to the core rulebook material.

5. What >>51200609 said is good advice.
>>
>>51201611
>Not many people want to jump into their heroic knight fantasy as some peasant with a rough-spun cloth tunic. Hell, I can't even convince my players to start games at level 1 alot of the time, no matter what kind of starting gear they get. (Although this is due mainly to the casters wanting to start out with more than a single spell).

That's EXACTLY what I want, but DnD won't allow me to have it...
>>
>>51201437

Well remember TFB is a no save slow and you could easily cover a pretty big area with it if it was at will.Smokesticks can also be about as good as a Tieflings Darkness but usable all day and swift step is too good to not just spam like mad if it was usable every round
>>
>>51201546
Well to be fair, it's not like you're handing out a set of adamantine +3 plate with a complementary +3 shield
>>
>>51201611
>>51201546

It really is a video game thing. Crafting systems are also so widespread that new PCs are often expecting to craft their own Ebony Boots Exceptional quality 4 slotted Shaco or Daedric Helms. Its not really a huge problem but something new guys have to adjust too for the game
>>
>>51201251
Alchemist is way better than Gunner. Sorry, bud. You're probably not even going to get to a point where Gunsmith gets the knockback cone, and at all other points Warlocks, Rangers, or Archery Fighters are going to outdamage you at a distance.

You have to remember you're a single attack class with an Intelligence main or secondary stat. You're always using your bonus action to reload, and even if you get a second attack action through multiclassing or Haste, the major component of your damage isn't the Attack action--it is essentially a form of those melee cantrips where you make an attack as part of another action. Any feature that works with "when you take the Attack action" isn't applicable then.

>>51201295
>triggered so hard he double arrowed
Don't post in anger, it's not good for you. faggot
>>
>>51201437
>keep taking swift for an entire minute
>have speed 210ft
yeah I don't see anything wrong with this
>>
>>51200571
a game breaking mistake that a lot of new players make is to create a character that has no reason to cooperate with the party
>>
>>51201666
It even outs when you stop every few minutes to take a piss because you've been chugging potions non-stop.
>>
Do you enforce character bathroom breaks?

Since some of you track rations and such.
>>
>>51201627
You wouldn't be able to use swift step at casual times except if you know combat's just about to start or you're in combat, for obvious reasons much for the same reason you don't let alchemists throw acid for 16 hours a day, once every 6 seconds. Because that's stupid.
Trying to use it in combat takes up a bonus and an action.

While the smoke is good, usually you only need one use of it. If you need more than one use of it, then something's up, but you still have to use an action again to do that.

TFB works just fine if you get one use of it. You throw it down, you then use the thunderstone to throw enemies into the area. Just throwing more bags will expand the area and maybe that's great if you're in a corridor, but.. Honestly, the main reason to not allow this is because of corridors.

Still, it's probably good that they're once a minute only so the players don't ever resort to spamming and have more on their minds than 'I'll just sit in the corner and instead of fighting just throw smoke everywhere forever'.

I'd still like the healing draught to have some way of being less of a mandatory option.

>>51201666
Obviously it's not stacking. Either there's a 'two of the same name abilities cannot have stacking effects' rule or it's 'The DM says no bullshit'
I'm pretty sure RAI is that you can't use swift step right now to get 70ft speed when you stack two of them which you could actually do.
>>
>>51200921
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana

There's all the unearthed arcana. Everything else is in the PHB, DMG, SCAG, and a few campaign guides.
>>
>>51201695
Ever since I pointed out that none of the cities we visit have sewer entrances (be they simple grate coverings or larger, human-useable entrances) or outhouses, and no building interior has a bathroom, my group has decided that Forgotten Realms is a fantasy world where humanoid life evolved to perfectly utilize its food and produce no waste. These things don't exist because no one has to poop or piss.
>>
>>51201698
>you don't let alchemists throw acid for 16 hours a day, once every 6 seconds
Maybe YOU don't, but WE completely bypass the dungeon by divining the location of the final room and burning a hole into it from above over the course an hour.
>>
>>51201722

I actually had my Warlock use a cantrips ability to clean things to ensure maximum hygiene for the party. I was a Noble its a thing I cared a lot about ya know
>>
>>51201251
>can't enjoy taking a big gun and blowing shit up
>500 ft anyway in perfect safety
it's comfy, I guess you like alchemist so you enjoy having to be within an enemy's spacebubble
>>
>>51201685
>>51201695
>>51201722
why is everyone talking about piss
>>
>>51201746
I mean, that's fine if you want to wait a bit while the alchemist brews up fucktonnes of explosives and acid while the rest of the party digs until they hit the dungeon roof.

But there's a reason people aren't allowed to take the dodge action every turn of their life or blade ward every turn of their life.

>and then they all painted themselves blue, drank speed potions into the horizon and died of chemical overdose
>>
>>51201771
Is #1 best fetish in new Americanski Federation, comrade.
>>
Alright, going to play Storm Kings and I've decided to play a caster for once. A skeleton caster even after making a kinda homebrew race with the DM.

Question being is that I can't decide between Illusion and Divination.
Divination is pretty bonkers mechanically with Portent.. but Illusion has a lot of battlefield control. We will be facing giants aswell.

Anyone have any tips on what I should do?
>>
So apparently a Warlock can cast all sorts of spells as rituals with the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, which needs the Book of Shadows pact boon.

How good is this? Seems pretty sweet, but then again, I haven't played a spellcaster in 5e yet, so I'm not sure if I understand rituals right.

Here's how I understand rituals:
A wizard has to prepare the spells he wants to cast as a ritual as normal, but if they cast it as a ritual, it does not consume the spell slot, so you can cast it again as normal (in combat) or as much as you like as a ritual, right?
>>
>>51201005
Level 17, starting from level 5 last year.
>>
>>51201005
Level 11 in Pathfinder and that campaign is still around, just taking a break to play some 5e.
>>
>>51201909
He doesn't have to prepare rituals, just have them in his book. They take ten minutes extra to cast and expend no spell slots.
>>
>>51201909
With ritual casting, you can cast any spell you know as a ritual without expending a spell slot. Rituals take 10 minutes though so you can't spam them. Stuff like identify and detect magic, are great as rituals since if you need to cast them, you probably can take a 10 minute break to do so, and some spells like Find Familiar can really only be cast as rituals.
>>
>>51201909

Ive been playing a TomeLock since virtually the start of 5E so lemme weigh in

The Warlock has a very limited spell selection and good utility is very hard to come by. Rituals are therefore amazing for adding versatility to your character and NOT having them be part of you limited number of known spells is great. Its even better when you realize that one invocation allows you access too ALL rituals so you can pilfer the Commune Rarys Telepathic Bond Commune with Nature Leomunds Hut Water Breathing etc. all in one character.

You also dont have to prepare it you just know the ritual regardless of how you have rituals. This goes double for Warlocks because beleive me you dont wanna spend your 2 slots on Water Breathing and detect magic
>>
>>51201971
Jesus Christ, that sounds cool. How does the Warlock invocation compare?

If the Warlock has all the rituals in his book (which is basically a spellbook, but only for rituals), then he can cast them as much as he likes?

I know that he can only inscribe spells that are half his level, but this still gives the Warlock a ridiculous versatility.
>>
>>51201991
Fucking hell. How about the spell level limitation? I gotta be a level 6 Warlock to cast level 3 rituals, which is only one level worse than the Wizard, who has 3rd level spells at level 5, right?
>>
>>51202039

It doesnt really get in the way generally speaking also rituals become very rare past the first few levels and theres like one above lv5 so by double digits you will have access to potentially ever ritual in the game easy
>>
>>51202070
Okay, looks like I'm gonna be playing an Undying Pact Warlock then.

Any ideas how one can become immortal in 5e? I want that to be the end goal of the character. I guess I can become a lich at one point, right?
>>
What does /5eg/ think of Ultramodern5?
>>
>>51201996
Warlock invocation is exactly the same. It's stupid good and it really more than makes up for his limited slots.

>>51202039
There are no rituals after spell level 6, so you'll only be missing level 6 rituals. Obviously, the rule where you can only cast spells that you have spell slots leveled for applies for warlocks, so you can't cast level 5 rituals at sixth level.

>>51202091
No actual rules for it, gotta work it out with your DM
>>
What's the most fun class to play, ignoring roleplaying?

What's the most fun class to play, ignoring everything but roleplaying?
>>
>>51202091
Have a chat with your GM and tell him that it's your long-term goal with the character. You don't have to be undying, since there's no actual rules for this shit anyway, but your GM will probably be more receptive to the idea if you have a character concept built around necromancy and lichhood.
>>
>>51202225
Wizard. So many options!

Barbarian. Since most campaigns will have you visiting cities and nobles and such, a barbarian can be outrageous fun.
>>
>>51202225
For me its Wizard and Rogue
>>
>>51202225
Paladin for both
>>
A first level wizard has 6 first level spells in his spellbook. But what if I start at level 3? Is this info in the DMG somewhere or do I have to just negotiate with my DM?
>>
>>51202314
Still six 1st level, but you get 2 more spells each level, of any level you can cast.
>>
>>51202340
thanks
>>
>>51202283
My acquaintance of high melanin content
>>
>>51202215
>On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell's level is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up) and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell.
>you can add it to the book if the spell's level is equal to or less than half your warlock level

I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to mean. English is not my first language though, but this sounds like a level 6 Warlock could inscribe a level 6 spell since the spell level is equal to the warlock class level. Which sounds stupid.
>>
>>51202404
>equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up)
>half
A level 6 warlock could transcribe a level 3 ritual
>>
So, RAW, a shield must be a) 6 pounds, and b) held in one hand. How many things can you refluff that as?
>>
>>51202404
>Equal to or less than half his warlock level.
The statement, when seperated into an incomplete statement or sentence would read as such:
>Equal to half his warlock level or less than half his warlock level
>>
>>51200927
We /mechagojira/ now
>>
>>51202404
No, it means half your warlock level rounded up.
Level 6 Warlock: level 3 Ritual.
Level 7 Warlock: level 4 Ritual.
Level 7 Warlock: level 4 Ritual.
>>
>>51202440
>>51202429
I'm dumb, thanks a lot guys.
>>
>>51202435
Bucklers. Heaters. Kite shields.
Also
>Thinking weight matters for equipment
>current year
>shiggy diggy ding dong abba labba doo dah day
>>
Does anyone know where I can download printable spell cards?
>>
>>51202435
I've seen it be a scabbard, and a cleric had it as a portable pulpit.
>>
>>51200854
Actially, this is exactly how I play paladins. I've cast a spell or two so far in the campaign I'm in, but I haven't used Divine Smite. Haven't even used channel divinity yet. I'm waiting on a really deadly encounter.
>>
>>51202605
What kind of DM has yet to throw an encounter at you that's not deadly to a party that has a member pulling his punches?
>>
I'm making my first character for my first time playing DnD beyond 3-4 sessions with a premade character two years ago.

Originally I was going to make an Elf Barbarian, with the backstory that he was the heir to the leadership of a clan of full time monster hunters, and as such was on a pilgrimage to learn the monsters of the world, only to return when he had found some novel piece of insight about some monster to bring back the clan. (The idea being, with every new generation the clan increases their expertise).

But the more I look at the barbarian the more boring it seems. The class doesn't really get to do anything in combat but sometimes push a hit harder button, and has basically nothing to do out of combat except maybe see really far?

So now I kind of want to make a Paladin instead. Do you think the backstory can be adapted, and any tips, on playing or RPing a paladin? I'm still looking over the oaths.
>>
>>51200968
Str bladelock does more damage than EB at levels people actually play. Str bladelock does more damage than EB at levels people don't play, but it's a different build than the low level one.
>>
>playing a paladin/sorcerer combo that uses a Maul and doesn't wear armor
>stupid, terrible build but I'm trying to emulate the 4e avenger and he's been fun so far
>party of 4, me, a lycanthrope bloodhunter, slav-as-fuck fighter, and balefully polymorphed cleric
>zany as fuck
>Party got sidetracked by a magic artifact while we're wrapping up an issue in town and teleported away
>I wrap up the main plot alone and then go after them
>in a creepy ghost mansion trapped in a demiplane due to a curse
>find bloodhunter cowering in a corner, fighter and cleric dead
>killed by an overpowered as fuck ghost
>find out from one of the more friendly cursed and immortal residence that a powerful cleric lies in the west wing of the mansion (we're in the east)
>have to cross a garden that's filled with cursed wildlife, insane spirits, and incredibly bored and dangerous hunters
>lead the way through the garden, slowly walking along the path as spirits silently surround us and the bloodhunter is panicking
>talk my way past a bridge troll, and avoid a couple of obvious baits
>so far so good
>hill cracks open, out come the hunters on horseback
>All look like major badasses and I have to keep the bloodhunter from running
>hunters tell us that they've been super bored hunting squirrels and shit and are ready for a real hunt
>bloodhunter about to book it, no way the two of us can fight them all
>I drop my weapons and hold my arms out wide
>"If you intend to kill me, do so quickly, but I will give you no joy or entertainment from it"
>bloodhunter wide-eyed
>DM smiling wide
>hunter sighs, asks why they should let us pass
>I offer an honorable, non-lethal dual against their leader in exchange for passage
>leader agrees
>fight happens, I get an amazing wrathful smite + divine smite in and he fails his save
>he's still kicking my ass with 2 times the attacks

Part 1
>>
Part 2

>during the fight he rolls a natural 1 and his sword breaks, illusion spell ends and we see his gear is all trash because he and it are like 2000 years old
>I pull out a super fancy and pristine sword we got as loot earlier
>hold it out for him to take
>"The fight can't be truly honorable if my opponent is unarmed"
>he takes it and we reroll initiative
>he's kicking my ass again, I don't know how bad he's hurt because of his illusion spells
>I'm at 2 HP
>mfw I hear his arm shatter as I bring my maul against it
>he concedes the fight
>I offer him a potion of healing and compliment him on his hardiness
>he agrees to allow us passage, offers the sword back
>I sheath it in it's jeweled hilt and hand it back to him
>"Take it as thanks for a good fight and for holding to your word"
>hunter practically tearing up
>offers his protection should I ever need it
>mfw the dude who was about to kill me is now my best friend
>pick up the dead bodies and the bloodhunter follows me freaking out as we get to the cleric and rez our allies

How was your game, /tg/?
>>
>>51202767
Oath of the Ancients would fit well without too much trouble.
>>
Hey, am i going crazy or was there a CR 1 monster who is basicly the octopus that lives in the underdark and has no swimming speed?
>>
Wizard with high charisma.

Why?
Why not?

I should just go for sorcerer right?
>>
>>51202943
Hmm.

I had intended to be Lawful Neutral - subservient to the needs of the clan, and willing to do anything for rare information on monsters and moreover basically always willing to fight monsters, but relatively unconcerned with the plight of anyone outside the clan unless monsters are involved.

Not sure if I could make that fit ancients, but I'll mull it over further.
>>
>>51203189
Sorcerers suck in 5e. Worse than 3.5 sorcerers
>>
>>51203228
The oath tenants are mainly guidelines, and you can work with your DM to make your own oath tenants, but mechanically the Ancients woudl work for you
>>
>>51203263
B-but metamagic?
>>
>>51203263
>sorcerers suck
Old meme
>>
File: Skeleton-plays-the-violin.jpg (38KB, 432x642px) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton-plays-the-violin.jpg
38KB, 432x642px
How do ya play a skeleton in 5e, /tg/?
>>
How long should one have been training paladiny stuff in their backstory before starting at lvl 1?
>>
File: Garuda.png (95KB, 354x770px) Image search: [Google]
Garuda.png
95KB, 354x770px
Trying to design a big bad boss for the latest chapter on my 5th Edition campaign. The group consists of five level 4 players at the moment.
This assumes the party is completely rested.
Is this too brutal an encounter? Any suggestions?
I have a thing for boss fights a la 4th Edition Solo monsters, so I've been adapting shit from Angry DM's boss building guide for 5th Edition. Not sure about damage numbers and all, but I projected it to be a Hard encounter bordering on Deadly.
>>
File: 1425779246247.jpg (30KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
1425779246247.jpg
30KB, 387x580px
>>51203263
So you have no idea what you're talking about, why didn't you say so?

>More durability than wizards (if Draconic)
>Can twin powerful control spells like Haste
>Can force disadvantage on high-stakes enchantment spells or cast them with no verbal/somatic components (making it hard to discern if they attempted anything at all)
>Can use quicken spell in order to spend their main action on dodge multiple turns in a row
>Several bloodlines give effects which can maintained without concentration.

So yeah, learn the game before pretending you're qualified to give advice.
>>
>>51203305
>Ask DM
>If they say no, you don't
>If they say yes, you do
>>
>>51203305
We have a player who uses this. Fun stuff and hasn't seemed overpowered or anything

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byf9SChm8pG8VVVpY3JqMHlrY3M/view?usp=sharing
>>
>>51203335
my DM does not do or allow homebrew, so the only option is something official
>>
If a level 20 immortal wizard decided to start a mages guild that would eventually control all magic users, could he? Let's assume he also has some means of contact enforcement too, such that anyone who agrees to be in the guild and later leaves, dies.

He starts off on his own, finds a magic user he can beat, fights them until they're at death's door and offers to save them if they join his guild. Repeat until he takes over every magic user.

Would this be feasible given dnd magic? It's based on the bondsmagi from Locke lamora.
>>
>>51203326
Seems interesting, but without legendary actions she won't live long.
>>
>>51203305
>>51203355
Why would you want to play something that will be destroyed on sight in most settlements?
>>
>>51203355
Then no, and then get a better DM, or go Undying Pack warlock and try to find an in universe way to achieve skellyhood
>>
>>51203370
Because fun
>>
>>51203370
Probably memes. He's a kooky, original memester that one.
>>
>>51203361
I can't think of a spell that works as a compelled oath, but if you're level 20 your DM should be willing to work with you on something like that.
>>
>>51203406
Glyph of warding triggering on oath breaking and a planeshift spell to a demiplane with no food or water?
>>
>>51203326
So you're trying to do like a video gamey thing, which is fine. But video game boss stages usually test the skills you acquired on your way to the boss. Using Zelda as an example, every boss tests the item you got in that dungeon.

Obviously that doesn't port to directly to DnD. But my problem with this monster is that its different stages don't require different approaches. As an example:
>one big bad with melee
>many smaller nasties
>one big bad with spellcasting
Each of those would test different sets of defenses, offenses, and strategies. That sort of thing.
>>
>>51203327
>>More durability than wizards (if Draconic)
Less than abjurers or bladesingers though.
>>Can twin powerful control spells like Haste
Control spells. Like haste. Haste. Control spell.
>>Can force disadvantage on high-stakes enchantment spells or cast them with no verbal/somatic components (making it hard to discern if they attempted anything at all)
Subtle spells really are quite fine.
>>Can use quicken spell in order to spend their main action on dodge multiple turns in a row
You're reaching. And that's 4 metamagics now.
>>Several bloodlines give effects which can maintained without concentration.
You mean you can fly. Just say you can fly.

You didn't even mention Con save proficiency.
>>
>>51203406
Custom Geas. Custom Bestow Curse. Custom Wish.
>>
>>51203361
A level 9 Geas spell lasts until dispelled. If you disobey the caster they take 5d10 psychic damage.

In my campaign a powerful sorcerer controls a band of bandits to keep them serving him. Casting geas at a 5th level once a month. If they disobey him, they die.
>>
>>51203326
Good concept actually and honestly given the fact she is a lower level boss I think not taking Legendary Actions is a good choice.

Let those harder bosses come later on in the game! I love boss fights like this and have been playing them out regularly.

I combine Angry DM's advice with my experience playing WoW to craft the boss fights and my players have a blast. Good luck bro this looks really fun.

Just remember too if you notice the boss fight going poorly for the players you can always adjust within the game without alerting your players.

The key is to have fun and everything can be changed, altered, or invented on a whim if need be.
>>
>>51203402
How about you don't judge me? We have a group that has played together since 2003, we don't ruin each other's fun and always have great fun without going full on retard.
>>
>>51203546
90 hit points per stage though means that each stage will likely only last a little over a single round, which is why I think legendary actions are important
>>
>>51203572
True that is justified. My thinking is, especially if the guy is new to 5e design to just let it roll. THat way he can get a better gauge for future boss fights. If it's too easy just throw her in as a mini-boss or something.
>>
>>51203572
Garuda guy here, HP is less of a concern since I can't inflate it on the fly if I think the fight is progressing too quickly. I'm mostly worried about the damage numbers of the boss itself (as the party lacks any form of high AC characters).
>>
>>51203605
Meant can inflate it, not can't.
>>
>>51202900
i wish i had you as a player. all my players are really creative at roleplaying! but the moment they encounter an obstacle (someone doesn't quite believe them, someone wants to fight them, etc) they start to think "what does the dm want us to do?". lovely bunch but I really want them to start thinking about creative ways to get around problems. video games really ruined tabletop
>>
>>51203605
I'd give her 3 attacks for multiattack, and have her roll initiative twice, lowest is the turn that her Howling Fury turn takes place on.
>>
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Brewers Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Magic Weapon, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Arcane Eye, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>51203326
>>51203605
Have her final form at least inflict partial damage she takes onto her clones, if she is still acting and immune to damage, you're going to piss off any player who invests a spell, resource, action surge or anything into "I'll finish her off! What do you mean NO damage?!"
>>
>>51203565
I wasn't judging you anon. You're the one who assumed I was because I called you what your are, a kooky memester. You assigned the negative value, not me. Reevaluate your choices of they make you so sensitive.
>>
>>51203724
I think just providing a visual indication that they are shielding her is enough.
>>
>>51203813
Give them a slight hue or something so players are aware they aren't the original and maybe have some sort of strange energy waves connecting back to the main boss to indicate it.
>>
>>51203777
Are you my DM? are you in my party?

No?

Then shut the fuck up.
>>
>>51203874
edgy
>>
>>51203874
look at this kooky memester
>>
>>51203874
Pretty kooky m80
>>
>>51203355
>>51203305
Revenant with a slight refluff maybe?
>>
>>51200773
>greatsword as a katana
>not nodachi
>meanwhile, a versatile longsword that's exactly a katana
kys
>>
>>51203662
Seems fine I guess, I don't see anything particularly horrible because you did it right with the spells, and that's all you really needed to get right
At level 9 get animate objects and make your entire party+DM want to kill themselves when the spoon collection comes to life and starts tarpitting the BBEG
>>
I always thought wall of force is a better 5th level spell. 10 mins, no save and can only be destroyed by disintegrate
>>
>>51204265
@
>>51204142
>>
>>51201151
I play a fun campaign where there were spooky shadow monsters that couldn't enter our lantern's light.
>>
File: 1482289345927.jpg (369KB, 1183x2100px) Image search: [Google]
1482289345927.jpg
369KB, 1183x2100px
So what characters are you playing/want to play in your current campaign?

Currently fiddling with the idea of an Arcane Trickster working at a circus. He wears a magical theater mask that changes faces depending on his mood. He doesn't speak in his own voice, but can copy the voice of people he's heard.
Backstory for his illusionary magic and mask is that he was given powers by some sort of deity (still deciding on this part...a la warlock but without the shenanigan powers).

Inspired by this
>>
File: 1419387838690.jpg (64KB, 600x459px) Image search: [Google]
1419387838690.jpg
64KB, 600x459px
I downloaded the trove awhile ago but I think I remember seeing people mention new books got released with more races. Which section of the trove is that so I don't need to download the whole thing again?
>>
File: 1454551950233.jpg (159KB, 736x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1454551950233.jpg
159KB, 736x1100px
>>51203326

300 total HP is a lot to chunk for five level 4 adventurers. At least it's levied by the fact that 13 AC is easily breakable by most basic attacks, and with a negative WIS score, she is very susceptible to CC from spells. I really like all the phases though and her special moves and such seem pretty cool and tactical.

My calculations put it at pretty squarely at beyond deadly for 5 level 4's. Which means it'll actually be a difficult encounter.

To be honest this is probably the best homebrew boss I've seen on /tg/ and better than anything I've ever come up with so bravo!
>>
Would you let your Artificer change the elemental damage on his gun after a long rest? Seems weird to me to have it locked in as thunder.
>>
>>51200508
https://livebunker.rocks/chat/int
>>
I'm trying to wrap my head around how the "planes" work, so help me lay this one out:

If a group of players enter the Astral Plane with the "Astral Projection" spell, they are returned to their physical bodies should their astral projection be reduced to 0 HP

If they find a portal to a Demiplane while projecting into the Astral realm, are they capable of entering this portal?

If yes, are they capable of interacting with creatures native to that demiplane in the same way they would if they had Planar Shifted to that demiplane?

If yes, does death in that demiplane simply return them to their physical bodies in their native plane?
>>
>>51204524
>given powers by dirty, but not a warlock or cleric
>Edgy mask guy

You're bait.
>>
>>51204524
A big boarman that's really good with hand to hand combat. He's fucking terrifying to look at but he's a gentleman that loves his family and kids. His name is "Dandelion Goretusk", his mom wanted to name him Tulip but his dad wouldn't let her, his dad liked the "lion" part of Dandelion though. His friends call him Dandy.

I think he's cute.
>>
Anyone played an ancients paladin? How did you RP it?
>>
File: 1475592409379.jpg (217KB, 1600x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1475592409379.jpg
217KB, 1600x1035px
>>51201151

Have a swampy section with fetid over growth and a real mire that the players gotta trudge through.

Then fill it with crocodiles or lizardmen.
>>
>Changing Alchemical Fire to Alchemical Poison
>Changing Alchemical acid to Alchemical Plague (Necrotic damage)
>Adding poison damage to the elemental adept feat (or making a new one that does the same thing called poison adept)
None of this is broken, right?
>>
>>51204620
If my type of fun isn't allowed, then what would you prefer oh great D&D master

>>51204628
I'd join your party
>>
>>51201151
Read Curse of Strahd for ideas.
>>
As a monk I can still opt to use unarmed attacks despite weilding a weapon in each hand right?
>>
>>51204889
Yes. Kicks, headbutts and tackles are all considered unarmed attacks.
>>
How do i make a ranged valor bard work? Im thinking of using a longbow until 14th level, then switch to heavy crossbow and constantly cast random shit and get a free attack, but i have no idea what else to do until then. Im starting at 6th level. Any suggestions for feats? should i just take sharpshooter and max out dex/cha?
>>
Is there anything in the game that gives +1/2/3 to unarmed attacks?
>>
File: 1481577518007.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1481577518007.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>51200903
Reminds me of the Knife Asshole
>>
Do wizards even need wisdom in 5e?
>>
>>51205041
Wisdom saves and perception is nice, but it isn't an essential stat.
>>
>>51204964
>expecting a game to last from level 1 to 14

You don't play with others often, do you? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.
>>
>>51205041
Nah. You're proficient in Wis saves anyway and you can let the rogue or bard handle the perception checks for you.
>>
>>51205121
starting at lvl 6. shame you dont have reading comprehension.

and yeah, our games usually last quite some time. might not live long enough, but a resurrect spell isnt out of the question from the get go. sorry your games are shitty anon.
>>
>>51205138
>>51205118
Good. How about charisma?

It fits very well to my character concept, but I'm not sure if it's useful at all.
>>
>>51205153
You're not proficient in Cha saves, so if you don't want to kowtow to the vampire you'll want some of it. Low stat for a save you're not proficient in can mean an automatic fail. Ironically, Int is the only stat you should dump when considering saves, since there's only like two spells that target it anyway.
>>
>>51205153
Do you want to be social? If you don't, you won't need it. Charisma saves are uncommon.
>>
>>51205201
>Do you want to be social?
Kinda, yeah.
>>
>>51205214
Then you will need it if your DM uses rolls to determine how successful you are when talking to people.
>>
File: 1466283807319.jpg (113KB, 401x385px) Image search: [Google]
1466283807319.jpg
113KB, 401x385px
>>51205153

Whether or not to dump-stat your charisma is completely dependent on how much you as a player want to RP your character out of or into situations.
>>
>>51205234
Very much so.
>>
>>51200508
Dex is overpowered, and strength is way underpowered.
Why do I add my DEX score when I stab a dude with a rapier or a dagger anyway? That makes no fucking sense.
And how the fuck does being more dexterous increase your damage with a bow? It makes you more accurate fine, but surely that's what the attack roll is meant to be used for right?
>>
>>51205246
Your improved aim means you hit vitals easier, making your attacks more lethal.
>>
>>51205121
My ongoing game lasted till 18, then we started a new campaign after a satisfying ending.
>>
How do cantrips work, /5eg/?
>>
>>51205246
Because you're dexterous enough to hit the perfect spots. You're not smashing through armor with a hammer, you're bypassing the armor entirely by jamming a blade in the gaps.
>>
>>51205281
If you know it you can cast it.
>>
>>51205357
Once a day, right? Just like 1level+ spells.
>>
>>51203124
Darkmantle, perhaps?
>>
>>51205377
Unlimited
>>
>>51205246
I do agree Strength seems like it has very little value in 5E. Athletics is rarely called for and encumbrance is negligible unless people are carrying retarded amounts of stuff.
Besides being the combat stat for heavy armoured melee characters and being checked for things like trying to force a door I can't really think of much uses for it.
What would /5eg/ do to fix it?
>>
>>51205377
Nope, as many times as you want unless the spell says otherwise.
>>
>>51205281
>>51205377
Cantrips are level zero spells that you can cast an unlimited amount of times. They also scale with your character level rather than your class level.
>>
>>51205416
Cool.
>>
I posted a very quick and dirty concept for an Armorer specialty for the artificer, focusing on applying minor, temporary magical effects to weapons and equipment. The motivation for this was a frustration with the fixed progression of the Gunsmith and a desire to add more tinkery features.

I've made some changes since, but I'm beginning to wonder if too much of this overlaps with the Artificer's existing spellcasting and magical infusion features.

What would you think of something more like:
> Level 1: Mending Cantrip, Smith's Tools proficiency, A single martial weapon or firearm of your choice in which you are proficient with this specific example.
> 3rd level: expanded spell list, a la warlock, focusing on buffing-debuffing
> 9th, 17th level: reduce the time to infuse an item with a spell
> 14th level: Can infuse spells from willing casters' spell lists
>>
>>51204602
Anyone who can help me on this? My group's been showing interest in the planes and I want to make sure I have my rules together
>>
>>51205246
Because using dex to hit and strength to hurt or whatever would be a massive nerf to every martial class for no benefit.
>>
>>51205443
>Can infuse spells from willing casters' spell lists

I didn't realize Artificer needed this until just now.

Add a caveat that it has to be of a level the artificer has slots for.
>>
What do you think about starting a dex paladin at 15 DEX and 16 CHA, then getting Resilient (DEX) feat asap? If I have 16/15 instead, I don't have any other odd scores to bump at the same time as I bump cha
>>
>>51205489
...and no feats that bump +1 CHA, I should add
>>
>>51205489
You can take +1 Cha and +1 dex and take resilient dex later then. That's an option.
>>
>>51205540
So I'll end up at +3/+3. When I could end up at +3/+3 plus the saving throw proficiency. Doesn't seem worth it
>>
>>51205445
>>51204602
I'd just say that they simply can't enter the portal onto the demiplane, that an invisible barrier or something seems to be blocking them. Tell any players with high arcana that "It's obviously impossible to enter another plane as a projection of yourself."
>>
What are some thematically appropriate ways to roll out a Dwarven Rogue? Duergar specifically.
>>
>>51205755
crossbow assassin
>>
Sorry, that anon here asking all the noob wizard questions.

Do I understand right that I can prepare more spells than I have slots for? And then just cast those whichever I want.

Like, I'm a 3rd level wizard with +4 INT modifier, so I have 4 first level and 2 second level spell slots, but due to my high INT, I can prepare 7 spells in total and then just choose which ones I want to "put into" the slots.

Right?
>>
>>51205793
Right.
>>
>>51205793

"Put into" is the wrong way of thinking about it. Think about it this way:

As a Wizard, you'll learn a shit load of spells. But you can't cast all of them all the time. So you say, I'm gonna prepare these spells and not these.

For the spells you do prepare, you spend slots to cast them. Slots are just a resource, nothing more, nothing less. When you're out of slots, sorry, no more spells, just cantrips.
>>
>>51205755

Steals ancient and secret dwarven schematics and designs of architecture, machines, weapons, fortress layouts, etc. Sells to highest bidder on the black market.
>>
>>51205768

I first read this as "crowbar assassin"
>>
>>51205840
The way I imagine it is that my spellbook is like an ammo bag. I take out some bullets=prepare the spells. However, I only have a revolver with six chambers, so I gotta chose which bullets (prepared spells) I shoot (cast).

How stupid does this sound?
>>
So I'm trying to get pre-approved stuff ready for my players, as we're going to be doing character creation over the next week for our first game.

Right now I'm looking at allowing the following things without any questions (using 27 point buy):

> Core 3 books
> Elemental Evil Player's Companion
> Sword Coast Adventurer Guide
> Volo's Guide to Monsters
> UA for revised Ranger

After that, I'm willing to work with the players on allowing other stuff from UAs, so long as they understand it's liable to sudden changes via balance issues.

Anything else I should consider looking at and/or allowing that's in the Mega? I'm contemplating allowing Mercer's Gunslinger archetype and his Blood Hunter class, but I don't know how balanced they are.
>>
>>51205903

Well, you can think about it however you want. I disagree with your analogy on the grounds that spell slots are more similar to bullets, since you can run out of slots.

You might think of the particular spells as different calibers of bullets. And you've got a magic gun that somehow fits many different calibers.
>>
>>51205902
That's pretty gosh darn Dwarven in its own way.
>>
>>51205928
Alright I think I got it. Thanks anon.

I'm actually creating my character right now, so there may be some more stupid questions coming up.
>>
>>51205915
How experienced are your players? Honestly I wouldn't really add anything else more. Some UA is hilariously broken, and if a player wants to use it, you can review it case by case.
>>
>>51205963

I'll help if I can. Took me a bit to get a hang of the slots-prepared-known system of spells. It's fairly simple once it clicks.
>>
>>51205968
What are the most unbalanced UAs?
>>
>>51205968
One of them is pretty experienced with 5th edition, the rest are new to the system but are experienced gamers in general (all have multiple years' of experience in 3.PF along with experience in other systems).
>>
>>51205982
What are some mus-have cantrips.

I wrote down Chill touch, Minor illusion and message, but Sword Burst from SCAG looks like it could save my life someday.
>>
>>51205993
Artificer, cleric, monk, paladin and druid from the recent rush.
>>
>>51206040
Green Flame Blade.
>>
Are the books from the starter set in the trove?
>>
>>51205993
Undying Light is pretty strong for a dip, and you get ridiculous amounts of power at level 1.

Shadow Sorceror's Darkness/Devil's sight is arguably too strong.

Sharpshooter fighter archetype is hilariously imbalanced.

The Forge domain is quite strong depending on the campaign and availability of magic items.

Spell-less ranger is incredibly strong - I wouldn't allow it.

Actually. Mentioning the Spell-less ranger, the Favored Soul Sorceror is probably OK to whitelist. Though it is on the strong side, it's got a distinct niche and is very good for a pala/sorc multiclass. The extra spells have never caused me an issue but you might need to be careful.
>>
>>51200649
I'm way late to the party, but if you read this, avoid having many minions.
Nothing grinds the game down to a halt more than having 20+ goons in the turn order and having to wait for them to do their shit.

I played a necromancer, and regretted the shit out of it. Ended up using a Rod of Wonders as my main problem solver, but would ususally just fuck shit up worse. Twice I cloned a dragon trying to kill us. one being Tiamat .

Only have a fuckton of minions if your DM is part-computer, or has a very rules-light way of managing too many units.
>>
>>51206040

As far as straight power goes, most people agree that Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade are the best there. However, cantrips are also good for providing yourself with utility. You've already listed Minor Illusion and Message, both of which I find very good. Sword Burst doesn't seem functionally different from Thunderclap and, as a Wizard, you probably don't want to have enough enemies surrounding you to make Sword Burst worthwhile anyway. Personally, I find Shocking Grasp to be a very good cantrip as a way to both deal damage and give yourself a means of escape.
>>
>>51206040
Prestidigitation/Thaumaturgy are nice for simple little parlor tricks.

Light/Dancing Lights if you're a human and don't want to deal with torches, especially if you have to go underwater.

Ray of Frost is also nice because of the reduced movement speed it inflicts.

If you're a Warlock, Eldritch Blast is basically required.
>>
>>51204724
No, not really. Since monsters that are immune to poison (there are quite a few), don't give a shit if you ignore their resistances. Because immunity is immunity.
>>
>>51206082
I have to make a meele attack for that, which is not something I would do often I think.

>>51206100
Still here, thanks for the input. We're starting at level three and I honestly doubt that the party would not dissolve/get bored before we get to fight dragon gods though. The DM is pretty rules-light on managing hordes and stuff, we have handled large battles in 3.5 before.

>>51206104
My problem with Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade are the successful meele attacks required. But I'll give it a thought, thanks.
>>
>first session first combat
>cast hex, crit with my staff hit
>roll max damage

Holy fuck that goblin died.
>goblin boss decides to go to me
>I'm pretty confident
>literally only roll 1s the rest of combat
>almost die
>>
>>51206174
>I have to make a meele attack for that, which is not something I would do often I think.
The melee attack is part of casting it.
>>
>>51205793
>>51205840

Putting spells into slots is how it used to be done in prior editions, but as the anon said spell slots are more ammunition than slots in 5e.
>>
>>51206188
Yeah, but I'm kinda shit at meele. I think this may be better suited to whatever the Duskblade is called in 5e, no?
>>
>>51206183
>fight group of gnolls
>three nat20s

>fight giant
>never roll above 7

>fight goblins
>two nat20s, never roll below 14

>fight hobgoblin wizard
>three crit fails, death
>>
>>51205903
>>51205928
The spells are different guns you pull out of your bag at the start of the day. You have a set number of spell slots, which are the bullets. They fit any gun. When you fire a gun/spell, you spend one bullet/slot.
>>
>>51205915
The most balanced UAs are artificer, barbarian, bard, gothic
>>
>>51206236
>>51206202
Okay, got it. I really think they should not have named them spell slots.

Also, the character creation chapter in the PHB is super retarded and illogical.
>>
>>51206259
>The most balanced UAs are artificer, barbarian, bard, gothic
I'd say they're the weakest too.
>>
>>51206174
>>51206188
He was politely telling you that your suggestion is dumb
>>
>>51206280
>Okay, got it. I really think they should not have named them spell slots.
I agree. It has nothing to do with slots, they're more like points or something. They just called them that to make it sound like the old editions, even though it works differently. Same with hit dice: they are both a thing that decides your max HP, as well as a resource that you can spend to heal. They just couldn't call it healing surges cause 4e makes people reeee.
>>
Melee bladesinger is a meme its better to play it as a offensive blaster.
>>
I need to kill a red dragon with fire, how can I do that
>>
>>51206280
You seem to have expererience with older editions. I am not saying "slot" is a good name but most wouldn't find it confusing because it doesn't mean much to them in the first place.

What are the issues with the first chapter in your opinion ? A small fraction of the readers will not know anything about DnD when they buy the PHB, the PHB is written with this in mind.
>>
>>51206549
Haste Anon
>>
>>51206583
You don't, unless your DM says something like at a certain temperature, even its fire immunity can't protect it, and you somehow find a way to make something that hot. That's just stupid though
>>
>>51206583
make it holy fire
use grave cleric's channel divinity
>>
>>51206635
Yeah, well one of my friends is new to DnD and told him to just start there, it's always pretty straightforward.

Well, it's not. For example, it has you choose a race and a class BEFORE you roll ability scores, so a new player will have no idea where to note down the ability modifiers given by the race, or they will forget (like my friend did). It's full of that stuff.
>>
>>51206583
Grave cleric channel divinity
>>
>>51206666
Surely if you throw a dragon into a sun it'd work.
>>
>>51206638
Nobody ever thought of that, thank you anon.
>>
File: CodQiX0WcAEfmKF.jpg (162KB, 800x1015px) Image search: [Google]
CodQiX0WcAEfmKF.jpg
162KB, 800x1015px
Can we talk about Adventures in Middle-Earth? Will anyone be playing it any time soon? What's everyone's opinion on it?
>>
>>51206728
I mean it makes sense cast a spell use the extra action to attack. Put in 2 levels of pally for smite and
>>
>>51206736
I've been wanting to run a Middle Earth campaign SO BADLY lately.
I've agreed with my current group that the next campaign we run will be in Middle Earth.
>>
Making a lvl 5 Gnome Articifer (Gunsmith) and due to lucky rolls I can start with 20 Int, 17 Dex, 16 Cons.

Quite unsure if I should grab a feat or ability improvement for lvl 4. Been considering sharpshooter, Medium Armour Master or Resilent(Dex) currently but it's been so long since I've played D&D that I'm a bit lost.

My group consists of me, a paladin, paladin/bard and neither them or the GM OPTIMISATION FIRST.
>>
>>51200508
The highest level campaign I've ever been in is the one that will be ending next week. The group is level 14 and we are on our way to fuck up some drow and demon lords (it's the OotA campaign book.)
>>
>>51206850
My group will be running one very soon. I've actually started playing a lot of LOTR video games because I just can't get enough right now
>>
>>51206040
>>51206082
Nah fuck GFB. Shocking grasp, man. Enemy up in your grill? Shock them and walk away, no opportunity attacks.
>>
>>51200508
I've DMed two 5e games from 3 to 20. Current one I'm DMing is at level 15. They'll probably level to 16 next session, and they should make it to 20 unless the group disbands. I have too many campaign ideas.

As a player, I've made it to level 10 in 3.5.
>>
>>51207192
Milestones?
>>
>>51207202
Yes. Levels 3 to 6 usually only last a session but the fights are deadly. 7 to 10 usually are about 2 sessions each, and then the rest of the level take 3 to 5 sessions depending on what's accomplished.
>>
>>
Dming for the first time

Characters are made and I'm reading up on the adventure - I guess in going to get the screens ready on roll20

What others way to prepare?

What's a good resource to reference spells/monsters rather than comb
Through the PHB?
>>
>>51207301
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/bestiary.html
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>51207301
read the OP
>>
>>51207345
This, the 5egithub tools are fucking great.
I love that anon.

>>51207227
I also run milestones. It's way more fun than exp. Using exp it takes much too long to level up and you'll virtually never see a campaign go past level 11.
>>
>>51207301
>What's a good resource to reference spells/monsters rather than comb
Alternatively, just write down the relevant ones. Helps you learn things better.
>>
First time player - this guy is a warlock, abyssal triefling.

He wants to eventually kill his patron and steal his power.. need some ideas
Lupin began his career as an officer in the Army of his home town. While going to War he made a trade with Rasputin The Immortal Demonic being of the 9 Hells, to marry into a blood line of Abyssals to create a power house. Rasputin then decided to bet against his side and offered to help the enemy that slaughtered their town and families. Towards the end of the war Lupin kills a enemy warlock and notices through his Staff the power of Rasputin surging through which gave away that he was betrayed. Now seeking vengeance he vows to kill Rasputin and divulge his flesh to obtain pure power.

This is big Mexican guy is an active duty army ranger and he made this character.
>>
>>51207383
I wouldn't be opposed to exp, but I feel people are ready to move on from a character after playing it for a year+, and exp takes too long to get to high levels.

After a year, they get to be satisfied with playing their character as a dynamic personality as well as experiencing the full range of class abilities.
>>
>>51207227
That sounds too quick to me desu. 3-6 are a couple sessions each (in our milestone games and I think when playing with EXP too), and 3 sessions per level after that. Plus having to change your sheet every game would be a bit exhausting.
>>
>>51207477
That's only 3 weeks of a level every week. It slows down a lot.

Are you printing a fresh sheet every time or something?
>>
How do cantrips like Green-Flame Blade work for Extra Attack purposes? You can't use it twice, or use GFB on the first attack then the other without it, right?
>>
>>51207268
>Planeshift zendikar
Elves with +2 WIS, Goblins with +2 Con, is this remotely official ?
>>
>>51207519
Nope. You either do your two attack sequences or cast Green Flame Blade.
If you have quickened spell, then you could cast GFB and do your attack sequence as well. Seems to be about the only way to use GFB wit ha normal attack sequence.
>>
>>51207519
Using the cantrip is your entire action. It's good for rogues as they only get one attack anyway
>>
>>51207536
It's a free, published homebrew. It's as official as you want it to be.
>>
>>51207536
>is it official
they made it, so yeah of course it's official for a setting with rock goblins and weird elf
>>
>>51207410
My current idea of warlocks is that the patron gives tutelage and awakens their power with gifts - rather than a conduit

So I'd allow him to kill his patron but he can no longer take levels in warlock, and he'd keep his warlock abilities
>>
>>51207519
You need to use the Attack action to benefit from extra attack. To use GFB you need to use the Cast a Spell action. So you can't use both with the same action.

GFB is designed for character with only one attack or to be cast as a bonus action.
>>
What's the most compact stringed instrument you can take? Lyre, harp?
>>
>>51207629
Ask your GM if you can have a ukulele or balalaika.
>>
>>51207422
Right, that's the feeling I get as well.
People love character progression and moving from one level to another, but after about a year they're ready to retire that hero and jump into a new game.
>>
>>51207410
>mexican guy
>wants to be el diablo

I love it.
>>
>>51207536
It's a WotC published digital product, but it's not an Official D&D setting so the material is never going to be Adventure League legal. It is however an Official Magic: The Gathering setting, so if you ever want to run a crossover campaign set in the MTG mutliverse, you can use it.
>>
>>51207422
Can confirm. I've been running a high power, high magic campaign for a group of 5. The characters
>>
>>51207680
Balalaika is cello-level compact.
>>
>>51207410
>Lupin began his career as an officer in the Army of his home town.
>While going to War he made a trade with Rasputin The Immortal Demonic being of the 9 Hells, to marry into a blood line of Abyssals to create a power house.

That escalated very quickly
>>
>>51205485
Cool. I'll post a couple drafts later
>>
>>51208378
They range in size from just smaller than a ukulele to cello size.
>>
What's better for new players, barbarians or fighters, and why?
>>
how do I involve character arcs?

I'm doing mines of phandail

When/how do I involve them?

for example, one character freed a small town by killing a baron. He was celebrated by the locals and led to safety afterward. He is currently being hunted by the bron's son and a small group.
>>
>>51203355
RAW? You got one option.

Go bard warlock or wizard
Reach level 17
Cast True Polymorph on self into skelly
Wait an hour
>>
>>51208530
Of course it depends on the player but they both have their strengths.

A champion fighter or barbarian is often good because they have relatively few mechanics a new player would need to learn.

Champ fighter:
>okay now you crit on a 19 too
>"sweet!"

Barb
>okay you can rage this many times per day, when you do, you take half damage
>"sweet!"

Neither is really "better" than the other in my opinion. A barb can be less punishing though if you anticipate a new player is gonna just run into a group of enemies. Just make sure they know to rage first.
>>
>>51203874
>2kooky4me
>>
>>51208530
Are your new players literal retards, or do they just not want to be bogged down with the heavy amount of situational preparedness required for playing a caster?

If literal retards, Champion fighter, otherwise they're both about equal, though smarter new players will probably be happier with Fighter, especially Battlemaster or it's UA variants in Cavalier, Monster Hunter, and Scout.
>>
>>51208557
If you'd used the premade characters like you're supposed to it's all built in
>>
>>51208635
so it's just supposed to be part of the plot? also I don't see any premade characters in the pdf
>>
>>51206086
Yes
>>
>>51206040
You're pretty good to go.
Except some particular circumstances (eg warlock), at least one damaging and at least one utility is all you need to be effective, based on however you want your flavor etc
>>
>>51208596
Would that then remove your class benefits?
>>
>>51208818
You betcha. Horrible, but RAW was asked for and RAW I give. Any decent dm will instead use reclaviring homebrew or outright ban the idea instead.
>>
>>51208976
You take the damage no matter what, but if you fail the saving throw you also drop the weapon.
>>
>>51209004
Here's my problem, which I was about to reword:

>Monster is holding a metal sword
>Player casts Heat Metal on sword
>Monster passes Con saving throw

Wording on the spell makes it seem like when the monster passes the saving throw, it still has to drop its weapon to avoid disadvantage. What is the Con save actually negating?
>>
I have a question regarding the Hellish Rebuke spell. It is a reaction, and it says you can use it when you are damaged. My question is, if the blow you get struck with is one that can bring you to 0 or lower hit points, can you trigger the spell before dropping unconscious?
>>
>>51209149
No. Reactions go after the trigger unless it specifies it happens beforehand.
>>
>>51209054
It negates you dropping the sword.
Is it a useful save? Maybe not, but that is what it prevents.
>>
What's the best grappler, AbjurationWizard/Rogue or Rogue/Barbarian?
>>
>>51209256
Yeah I figured it out. A passed Con save gives the choice to not drop. A failed save forces the drop if possible.
>>
New Bread When?
>>
>>51201773
>people aren't allowed to take dodge action every turn

Where does it say this
>>
Which book is it that has the kobolt race and all that?
>>
>>51209315
I'd say lore bard is better than rogue, becasue of Bardic Inspiration and Cutting Words, but I don't see why you choose Barb and Abjurer so I might be missing something.
>>
>>51209315
>>51209683
I missed the adv on STR check during rage. I'd say bard/barb then.
>>
Does this seem too powerful?
Tower Shield
+2 AC
Counts as half cover from ranged attacks from the front.
20 lbs.
Requires STR 13
>>
>>51209682
Volos guide to monsters. In the mega trove
>>
>>51209315
Arcane Trickster, use Enlarge person on yourself and grapple with a minimum roll of 20 with a humble 14 Strength.
>>
>>51209741
Thanks, I didn't want to have to re-download and search through the whole trove.
>>
>>51209734
My campaign uses alternate shields, Shield proficiency removed and are linked to your armour proficiency.

Light Shield - +1AC, Hand considered to be free for item interactions and minor tasks.
Shield - +2AC.
Heavy Shield - +3AC, Disadvantage on Initiative, STR15 or Speed Penalty.
>>
Anyone making a new thread?
>>
>>51209864
I'm guessing you think that Shield and Rapier is a bad thematic combination. Am I right?
>>
>>51209992
Not him but
Its swashbuckler, not a swashshielder. He should be more manuverable but less defensive than the full shield of a fighter.
>>
File: image13.png (990KB, 972x529px) Image search: [Google]
image13.png
990KB, 972x529px
>>51210035
Rapier and shield was absolutely a thing, arguably even more common than rapier and dagger.
>>
>>51210091
Maybe my terminology is fucked up but that looks a lot like a buckler to me, not a shield.
>>
>>51210119
>swashbuckler
>swash
>buckler
>>
We're like two threads away from falling off the board. I'll make a new one.
>>
>>51210119
>but that looks a lot like a buckler to me, not a shield.
5e makes no distinction between the two
>>
>>51210119
A buckler is still a shield
>>
>>51210208

Gogogo.

>>51210208
>>
>>51209992
No, why would Rapiers and Shields not be a good thing? Where did I imply that? Ehh..
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.