[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Epic level dnd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: LadyPainRef1.jpg (52KB, 349x475px) Image search: [Google]
LadyPainRef1.jpg
52KB, 349x475px
So I need some advice, I've dm'd and played in plenty of dnd games but never gotten much further than 10th level. I want to fix that, and get into some good high level insanity. The idea is to start at level 20, with all the players (probably 3), starting at level 20, as prospective gods. I need some good challenges to send them up against. Probably going to run 3.5 with 2 classes max multiclass.
I'd also be into hearing some of your personal high level high jinks.
>>
Check out the AD&D 'Deities & Demigods' supplement. It has lots of ideas for PCs fighting gods.
>>
>>51189320
Most games that I've played in or DM where players we're just thrown into the epic level deep end has a lot of people scrambling running around or flipping through sheets trying to figure out what they heck they are or what they can do.
Ends up a big shit storm.
Only people really proficient in the system can juggle the full hand-full high levels bring. And most people who truly believe they are really proficient in 3.5 / PF, are not.

My advise is honestly don't do it

If you are really caught up in doing epic level stuff, start at 11th level and work to 20. 6th level spells should be plenty to start capturing the beginnings of epic.
>>
>>51189320
>Probably going to run 3.5
Why?
>>
>>51189755
I'm playing with the 3 players I've played mainly 3.5 with for years. We skipped 4e and haven't tried 5e yet, so we all know that system well enough to not be at a total loss when going all out.
>>
>>51189332
Didnt even think of that book, I'll have to dig out my copy, I have the version with Arthurian legends in it.
>>
>>51189963
Expand your horizons, your the cancer which has polluted D&D.
>>
>>51189963
Pathfinder has plenty of options and an post lvl 20 book called Mythic Adventures. It's 3.5+, just without Book of Nine Swords which I really miss.
>>
File: 1474229865008.png (221KB, 720x1368px) Image search: [Google]
1474229865008.png
221KB, 720x1368px
High level combat in 3.x is basically a combination of Calvinball and go fish, especially if your characters got to that level organically.

You can very reasonably stat the vast majority of gods from real world polytheistic religions from 10th to 15th level, and above that there really aren't a lot of literary/mythological examples of what characters that powerful even should be doing (the people writing DnD certainly never figured it out.). There are a lot of good arguments for having "Gods" literally just be 10th+ level characters, as opposed to the nonsense published in 3.5's Deities and Demigods, or the Epic Level Handbook.

The problem is that there are just so goddamn many variables for what can go into a character that you quickly run out of things a given character can't do, and combat becomes all about figuring out which effects that kill/remove/invalidate the other guy instantly he hasn't given himself immunity to. And that isn't taking into account any completely arbitrary plot device powers any character might have access to that aren't covered by the rules (artifacts, "godhood," custom races, spells, rituals and the like)
>>
>>51193096
the few times I've played properly high level/epic games in 3.x, they really only worked when they were primarily focused on researching whatever you opposition was; bouncing around the Planes trying to find any information we could about our enemies to find out what they could be expected to try and what circumstances would make them vulnerable, while protecting the same information about ourselves.

Basically a big interplanar game of spy vs spy, where any fights that actually happened were usually a foregone conclusion by the time the first spell was cast.
>>
>>51189320
My advice is start at level 13 or 14 and work your way up to 20. That way by the time you're there everyone knows their shit pretty well.

>>51189755
nothing wrong with 3.5 if you have a good DM.
>>
>>51191305
I'd agree with you except the context that he's in right now. If you're jumping into the appsolute endgame of a system, using one you aren't familiar with will only complicate things. Imagine playing a 40k system made in gurps then having a second Battle of Macragge using the newest addition. You should be using the legitimate system, but for that event it would go smoother if you just kept doing what you know.
>>
>>51189320

Ban every character class which isn't a full caster. Save yourself a LOT of trouble.
>>
File: cmon.jpg (39KB, 340x344px) Image search: [Google]
cmon.jpg
39KB, 340x344px
>>51196739
>nothing wrong with 3.5
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.