[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Revolutions: fantasy settings editions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: 1320575934_3a27[1].jpg (121KB, 544x760px) Image search: [Google]
1320575934_3a27[1].jpg
121KB, 544x760px
Let us talk revolutions!
What kind of society needs to be in place to have a revolution? With addition of magic, how exactly can one seize the means of production?
>>
>>51181239
>all revolutions are communist in nature
>>
>>51181239
Just for a revolt you need a bunch of unhappy people, but for a revolution you need a distinct change how the society functions. With the old roles being shaken and some rendered obsolete, there's a power imbalance that can be used to shift the nation into a new direction.
>>
>communism
Well, it's fantasy, with the help of magic it might actually work.
>>
>>51181254
What kind of revolution will you put in your game?
>>51181264
> a distinct change how the society functions
How about this one: let's have a world be one with magic and monsters. Land is governed by feudals, who hold in their hands military power necessary to protect their fiefdoms from monsters enchroaching. To maintain their power, it is forbidden to develop magic arts / matial arts for common people (peasants, townspeople). Adventurers exist, but do not hold political power and are also subject to restriction
Probably a revolution would be transforming the society to one of decentralised "armed nation", with every village/settlement being able to wield arts (magic, martial), have enchanted weapons etc and land managers being subordinate to (and replaceable if deemed incompetent) to (let us say) adventurer's guild
>>
File: 1320576714_093d[1].jpg (509KB, 1300x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1320576714_093d[1].jpg
509KB, 1300x1650px
>>51181286
Something like a golem for everyone, mandatory wizard education, sorcerers conscripted for state projects for land development?
Also, lots of pic related? )
>>
>>51181264
>> a distinct change how the society functions
Would Gul'Dan's creation of the Horde qualify? I believe it does
I think that there is a number of potential revolutionary situations in Warcraft lore
>>
File: 1321054913_28e5[1].jpg (58KB, 400x473px) Image search: [Google]
1321054913_28e5[1].jpg
58KB, 400x473px
One of fantasy staples are number of different races. That means there are possibilities of:
- race-based caste systems;
- segregation and slavery;
- issue of race-mising and demi-humans (or demi-orcs)
One can wager that in role=playing game players would be on side of the revolutionaries aiming to dismantle those institutions, Have you done that befoe in your games? How did it go?
>>
>>51181714
I had an idea for a game where you would have humans, elves and orcs - pretty standard. But then you would have hybrids of each pair (orc/human, human/elf, orc/elf). And then my idea was that in human and elven society only pureblooded were considered citizens, and then there would be the orc society where hybrids were revered because their human or elven ancestry made them superior (maybe they can do magic). But then a new human empire springs up after a long war and its ruler declares that all with human blood are humans, thus hybrids gain recognition in that empire. It could be tinkered with for the purpose of this discussion.
>>
>>51181765
This is an interesting idea

by the way, here is how a spin can be put on it. In the decline of the Roman Empire, its citizenship stopped being desireable. It no longer provided many benefits, yet burdens were placed onto those considered citizens - taxes, regulations etc. For example, taking on city management position was considered a punishmnt, because one had to finance city's operations from his pocket (instead of other way around)
Something similar was in Russian Empire, where "different-born" (inorodzi) were freed from number of taxes and conscription, so some russians (even cossacks) sought to change their own legal status to that

With that being said, struggle for demi-human recognition can have another layer under - proper taxation on demi-human businesses serving as sort-of inner tax havens ("offshores") and including them in army proper. Latter can be used for enlarging army for offensive conquests, French Revolution-style
>>
File: 03[1].jpg (35KB, 351x500px) Image search: [Google]
03[1].jpg
35KB, 351x500px
>>51181889
Also, this can be basis for insurgency during the war between those nations with different systems. One dark way of ding that would be have one side execute parents of different races and/or another side - make an example from those demi-humans (or demi-orcs) that did not join them and thus were "betrayers to their blood" or something
>>
File: spooky.gif (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.gif
54KB, 300x300px
>>51181332
Skeletonist Uprising
>>
>>51181445
One of my favourite elements of the Warcraft universe, that I'm sure was completely unintentional, is the fact that the Horde isn't a traditional kingdom or empire. It's a nation, with a solid historical and cultural identity, and a large body of citizens who swear allegiance to the nation ("For the Horde!") rather than any specific leader or dynasty. It's even got leaders who are chosen not for their blood relation to previous leaders, but to their merit as representatives of the Horde as a whole (Vol'Jin and Sylvanas Windrunner are neither Orcs, nor related to Thrall or any other Orc chieftain in any way).

An other idea that has a lot of potential, which I don't think Blizzard has ever considered, is what the future holds for the Tauren. Blizzard looks at the Tauren and sees Native American stereotypes, but I see mid-1800s Japan. I see a people that has allied with highly advanced (from their perspective) foreigners, and has begun to assimilate their technology and way of life. The Horde brought guns. The Horde brought airships. The Horde brought agriculture. The Horde brought permanent settlements and sedentary living. Thunder Bluff didn't exist before the Horde arrived. Now it's a regular destination for airships and wyverns.

The Tauren stand on the brink of a dramatic shift in lifestyle and culture. The Tauren must have farms - a city like Thunder Bluff couldn't exist without them. And as the value of farms proves itself, more and more Tauren are going to want arable land for themselves. Enclosure of traditional common grounds will run rampant, as the Tauren transition from nomadic hunter-gatherers to settled land-lords. This will play utter havoc with their "Earthmother" religion, and potentially break their people's link to druidism completely.

There's other stuff too, like how the growth of pastoralism would lead to a new economy, but this post is getting too big already.
>>
File: 1321054914_db35[1].jpg (84KB, 483x480px) Image search: [Google]
1321054914_db35[1].jpg
84KB, 483x480px
>>51182064
> mfw liberating fellow sceletons from meat and blood trapping them in servitude to grey sludge in their sculls
>>
>>51182068
Interesting stuff

One may say what Sylvanas did in the Frozen Throne was also a revolution... if "the way of living" is applicable to her and hers...
>>
File: 12[1].jpg (30KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
12[1].jpg
30KB, 361x500px
As an example of "fantasy revolution". There is a russian book "The Last ringbearer" (which is a horrible infringement onto rights of Tolkien estate). In it, orc resistance to elf-led occupation regime desctoys magic (and with it, banishes elves) in Middle-earth by throwing last Palantir into the volcano
I'd say banishing magic worldwide can count as a revolution?.. maybe if result of a popular movement supported by masses?..

in that regard, high fantasy places role of the person in history way too high
>>
>>51182939
Magic going away from a fantasy world definitely would be a cause for revolution. The old established magocracy and priesthood would be denied their powerbase in a single night.
>>
>>51182983
Probably deicide would also work the same way. I remember there being several PC games on that (in one of them there was inquisition that rooted out religion - those who still tried to worship Dead God)
>>
>>51181254
Of course they are! Because blatant commie parodies are fun as hell.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.