[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D20 System, Determine Damage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 3014342-knight_01_longsword.jpg (28KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
3014342-knight_01_longsword.jpg
28KB, 640x360px
Alright /tg/ ill leave a tl;dr below, I'm making a simple system for me and my buddies to play, more free form than D&D less Convoluted than gurps. Not trying to be special, just enjoyable.

I came on here last week asking which kind of Damage system was preferred
Attack VS Defense
or
Attack VS Armor Class

Majority said static was better. Now I'm trying to determine the damage of a longsword. Most systems use Longsword as the medium damage dealt, its a good in-between, so if i figure out longsword i can figure out the rest from there.

Characters at lvl 1 will have average 16-20 health. If you beat their defense you will deal damage.

Do you prefer
roll dice for damage
or
weapon has a set damage.

And!

How much health should it take out? a fourth? so four successful swings should kill them?
Less
or
more?

tl;dr
roll dice for damage
or
weapon has a set damage.
and
How many swings should kill a person?
>>
>>51181088
Unless there is a hit location keyed to the to-hit roll, I would usually prefer static + difference for damage.

Meaning if opponent has AC 14, and I roll 16, my damage is (Weapon + (16-14) = Weapon + 2).

If the hit location is keyed to to-hit, damage die from weapon works best. Alternative to modifier, however, I would use XdYk1, where X is the damage modifier (say, strength) and Y is the weapon die. And then you choose the best die from those. That way stronger people hit harder on average, but it doesn't create damage bloat.

How many hits should kill?

I hate static HP pools. I'm the roll-against-wounds fag. Meaning you gain wounds as you get damaged, and every time you get hit you roll against the new wound amount. Rolling under means you keel. This means you might keel from the very first hit, but you can also tough it out for a long time. Of course, there should be something to resist keeling over, such as metacurrency.

And this is to unconsciousness, death should be a somewhat similar roll once you've keeled. Keep the players rolling instead of making rounds where they don't roll for anything.

Ironically my own game system uses none of these, except roll-under-wounds, with a twist.
>>
>>51181088
I prefer damage tied to classes/characters actually, and weapons only having tags (some tags, like "two handed", could improve damage, while other tags could have other effects). Aside from that, I prefer static damage numbers, personally.

This way the weapon is just a tool, and the damage depends on the user. A dagger in the hands of a fighter will be a lot more dangerous than in the hands of a wizard (although they both have access to its "light" and "throwing" properties).

>How many hits should kill?

This is a good question. How long do you want combat to last on average?
>>
Honestly, roll for damage. I've played flat damage but it's so anti climactic. There's a reason we've done dice all these years. It also leads to easier min maxing
>>
>>51183758
And for health, make it so that 5 martials can all gang up on a person to kill them in a turn
>>
I'm a fan of GURPS's "strength is the basis for damage; the weapon modifies" as opposed to the standard "the weapon is the basis for damage; strength modifies" that almost every other system uses.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.