[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vs Colossi Part DEUX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: failed map.png (2MB, 1191x746px) Image search: [Google]
failed map.png
2MB, 1191x746px
So I talked before about my desire to create a shadow of the colossus style system where human players fought really big enemies in a way that wasn't just bullshit higher numbers, a way that made it actually feel like you're fighting something fuckoff big.

Since my initial thread I have managed to do a few things, the biggest of which is figuring out a way to "Map" a giant moving object. I tried several methods, including the one you see here, but none of them were really that effective. The problem is that while you can graphically represent them as an object to climb on, monsters are not static things and they can be tackled from so many angles that trying to have a graphical map is fucking crazy.

Instead, I switched to a textual map in which portions of the monsters are broken down into sections following the length of the body and sides following its surface area. The exact size of these sections varies depending on the size of the monster, with something like a cave troll being sectioned off as things like "Whole left arm" while something like godzilla has 7 different sections on its arm. Sides vary too, depending on the thickness of the part in question. So a player can be on the front side of godzilla's left upper forearm.

To pair with this there's the idea of Grades. This is taken from rock climbing; basically, there are grades 1 (flat) to 12 (over-vertical with bad handholds) and depending on the state of the body part the player is on, that part can have a fluctuating grade. The grade determines the stamina used up to move through it and to continue to hold on to it. Climbing requires no rolls, but holding on when something is thrashing or jumping from one part to another does. Stamina applies a bonus to these actions as well, so it is easier to hold on when you have lots of stamina, but increasingly hard to when you have little. Losing stamina can mean either sliding down or falling off.
>>
>>51175901

The major part I'm currently considering is the stats of the monsters themselves. Anything over 20 tall or long will use the "Colossus" ruleset for movement and attacking, which is different from that of normal enemies. Attempting to force godzilla to adhere to the same rules that simulate a human is pretty stupid after all, because not only does it not represent him well, but it also tends to break down. After all, Strength 14 players vs strength 13000000000 monsters would be a bit silly.

Among giant creatures, There's really only a handful of stats that actually matter:
HP
Reach
Damage
Area Movement
Direction changing
Reactions

HP is sectional, ie it is split among the different parts of the body, and increases with size. The exact numbers vary, but in general Body/core sections have 100% HP, Head and other important parts have 70% HP and Limbs have 50% HP. I want to throw in crippling and other effects due to damage, but other systems are still too unfinished to really do so.

Reach: How far the attacks can go. These creatures can have multiple reaches and its generally delineated by body parts. Godzilla may not be able to punch or kick very far, but that tail of his can hit from miles away.

Damage: Unfinished, but generally a bit weird since really, certain attacks are gonna be instakills. Players have super-human resilience but still, being stepped on by godzilla isn't the sort of thing you walk off. Considering doing this via levels, with higher levels just having a certain chance of instant killing.
>>
File: 1478872058102.gif (5MB, 623x348px) Image search: [Google]
1478872058102.gif
5MB, 623x348px
>>51175976

Area movement: Big things are weird because despite appearing to move slowly and reacting slowly, their size means they're actually moving absurdly fast. Godzilla, though he looks slow and lumbering, actually has a walk speed of 40-60 mph depending on which source you look at. Because he covers a lot of ground with each step. As creatures get bigger they need to move around the area faster. To do this I'm thinking of adding "Skip" spaces. Basically, because this combat is happening on a grid and movement is given as the number of squares you can move through, skip spaces effectively allow large creatures to "step over" spaces. So a monster with movement of 6 but skip of 2 would actually cover 3 spaces in a single move, skipping 2 before landing on the third.

Direction changing: Part of the reason for the "Skip" spaces rather than just massively boosting the number of movement squares for the creatures is because I want to tie direction changing to movement. The idea being that as you get bigger, it takes longer for you to turn around and face the way you want. Humans can do it basically instantly, and something like a cave troll could do it pretty fast. But Godzilla is gonna have a hard time rotating his mass quickly and then moving. He doesn't corner well. So depending on the size of the creature, turning 45 degrees is gonna take a certain number of movement points. For something like a cave troll turning 90 might take 1. But godzilla might need 2 movement points to just turn 45. This is important for maneuvering since the reach of attacks and body parts is often directional. If godzilla is breathing atomic breath, you run to the side, not away!
>>
>>51176011
>Godzilla
>He
Anon...
>>
>>51176011
Reactions: My current struggling point. Simply put, big things don't react as quickly as smaller things. A cave troll can see you climbing its arm and grab you (or at least attempt to) with relative ease. And that feels fine in terms of how he reacts. But godzilla and other giants are to us like we are to a fly; we skitter around and react far quicker than they can. The question becomes how to effectively simulate that in game. There are a few possibilities that I've thought of though.

1.Players get multiple actions to the monster's single one. This makes the monster effectively slower, but not actually, if that makes sense. Yes, it acts less often, but it still acts as quickly when it acts. In game it would be like godzilla standing still for a minute and then suddenly moving hyper fast and punching you. Not great.

2. Delayed turns. Ie the creature acts and then that action only actually happens a turn or even two later. This would give it the effective "look" of being slower reacting because it would swing and attack at places where players used to be. But that still has it acting instantly, just later.

3. The best idea I think is that of a staggered action. And what I mean by that is that the monster acts exactly like all the other characters, ie taking an action for the round, on the round, but its action slowly plays out over the entire course of the round. So if it were to swing its tail and attack everything in an arc, then that swing would slowly cross the map between the actions of players, depending on their speed stats. So player one acts, the swing covers a few squares, player 2 acts, a few more squares, etc. This way it is both mechanically and in game slow to act. And it can be scaled via the number of actions that occur between the parts of the monster's turn, even pushing the monster's action out across multiple rounds of combat.

This is essentially where I am right now.
>>
>>51176078
It varies. The japanese use "It" but the english dubs use "He".
>>
Don't know if it helps but I know the monster hunter wiki has monster body charts split into areas, some more detailed than others
>>
>>51176163
>It varies. The japanese use "It" but the english dubs use "He".
The japanese don't utilize gender based pronouns in regular speech, the exceptions being based on family nomenclature. They call Gojira, Gojira, the vast majority of the time.
>>
>>51176128
>But godzilla and other giants are to us like we are to a fly; we skitter around and react far quicker than they can.
Except that, relative to its size, a fly moves much, much quicker than we do. Think about how far you can run in a few seconds, and then compare that to Godzilla's arm, and it's more like and ant crawling on your arm than a fly darting about. Now, you could say that giant creatures are really slow, but if you go by how quickly Godzilla is shown to move--even in his more lumbering appearances (and not making flying kicks and shit)--he's gonna pretty easily be able to squish a person.

Still, it could be argued that a person would get about two actions to Godzilla's one; it's just that the amount he would be able to move on each of those actions is pretty limited compared to Godzilla. So you could maybe just say that kaiju turns contain one action while people turns contain two. This and maybe have people automatically win initiative. But all of this is more or less rationalizing from the physics in kaiju movies--basing crunch off of fluff. It may be that some other way of doing things would play better.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.