[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

McGuffin scenarios

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: alfred_hitchcock_0.jpg (86KB, 740x370px) Image search: [Google]
alfred_hitchcock_0.jpg
86KB, 740x370px
For those of you who don't know, a MacGuffin is a concept popularized by Alfred Hitchcock around 1940 and is an object, usually mysterious or vaguely discribed, that drives a plot without a clear idea of what it is or why the characters should chase it.

It is used nowadays by most film critics and executives as a pejorative attribute to a plot, because it has been used a lot by hollywood as a way to make simpler plots (and especially Marvel in its Cinematic Universe with the Infinity Stones).

But when Hitchcock (do I need to remind you why Hitchcock knew what he was talking about ?) described most of his plots using the term 'MacGuffin' it was absolutely not in a perojative manner, because he used the MacGuffin as a way to deceive the viewer into thinking the mysterious object is the actual goal of the film and then surprising him with what is inside or what it all lead to.

So if cinema has lost the meaning of a MacGuffin as Hitchcock used it, I believe RPG can still show cleverness with using this trope.

I want to discuss it because it is a common form of scenario that deserves more attention and care than it seems from what pop culture has made of it. How would you do it ? How did you do it ? Do you have stories of MacGuffin scenarios used well or in a terrible way ?

TL;DR : Let's talk microfilms and magic stones that the players need to retrieve, but done well.
>>
No, I don't want to.
>>
>>51163054
So, you want Cryptomancer.
>>
I almost always use McGuffins because I'm fucking lazy.

The party come into ownership of some object, (I just realized literally every single one was the result of the PCs stopping a bank robbery and finding the object on the thieves, huh) that object then turns out to be mysterious and powerful and significant and usually bound to them in some irreversible way.

And it leads the plot.

Means that the plot becomes robust and resistant to unexpected swerves, so you can have a narrative without railroading. Also, as I said, I'm fucking lazy.
>>
>>51163054
Here's a classic scenario

>Bad thing/guy is destroying everything and can't be stopped
>Ancient door holding a demi-god that can stop them is close
>Door opens only with a magic talisman on it
>The talisman has been split in four pieces and scattered across the world in private and/or royal collections

You can always remove the bad thing and have the ancient door hold powerstones and gold.
>>
>>51163093
Laziness doesn't always keep creativity out.
>>
I'm not very fond of these weird circlejerk threads where people ask a question but then just use as an excuse to say random nothing.
>>
>>51163129
Well then say something clever you dipshit
>>
>>51163121
>>51163093
That's not what I'm looking for

I'm looking for ideas using a MacGuffin as something else, not as the overall goal of a scenario

>Players are sent by powerful wizard to get a magic stone from another powerful evil wizard
>Players go through terrible dungeon just to find out the other wizard not only was actually a pretty nice guy just defending his lair against the attackers
>The stone was actually a story made up by the wizard to get mercenaries to fuck up his dungeon without getting his lazy ass out of his chair
>Players now have motivation to kick his ass
>>
>>51163054
Magical Burst, a magical girl game based loosely on Madoka Magica kind of did this well.

Essentially part of the setting mechanics dictated that powerful baddies dropped these things called Oblivion Seeds, and if you collected 13 of them, you got a wish.

Anyone who's seen the inspiration source material knows that the plot won't be about getting wishes, that's just the lie that draws the characters into a doomed fight for survival where the chances of them surviving long enough to reach that goal are almost zero, and even if they get there all they're going to want to do is spend their wish to get out. Like Call of Cthulu, it's not really a game where all the characters are supposed to "win", and simply surviving and getting out alive ends up becoming the definition of winning over time, rather than whatever your hopeful starting ideas were.
>>
>>51163483
>"I dropped my ring in the forest! Go fetch it, and I'll give you ten gold!"
>Forest filled with monsters
>Adventurers end up on an epic quest to find the source of the monsters and close it
>Takes five years of murdering, intrigue, politics, and insanity
>Find the ring in the gullet of a dragon
>Take it back to the peasant questgiver
>he's died in the meantime
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.