[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General Weasel Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 429
Thread images: 34

File: DIre Weasel.jpg (88KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
DIre Weasel.jpg
88KB, 500x313px
>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread >>51145772

How would you make an encounter with weasels interesting? How would you modify a weasel to be a BBEG-worthy encounter?
>>
Saber-tooth stats with a Warg chassis should be fine right? Making a goblin alchemist, so a robot warg would be nice
>>
Any good podcasts/streams that aren't Critical Role?
>>
>>51150113
West Marches is an interesting experiment
>>
>>51150026
I'm just starting a supplement for converting the Fire Emblem series to 5e and needed some tips about how I should go about it

My options are
>leave everything open ended with general guidelines to emulate original classes
>or make everything rigid, controlling equipment proficiencies to make each unit specialized like source material

On one hand, one option may leaves more freedom to customize a character and stray away from their chosen class if desired, but on the other, one creates the specialized unit classes the games are known for and makes the party generally play to their strengths.

I'm not worried about emulating equipment durability and different types of weapons as I've had an idea for that already. My main focus at the moment is how to approach classes

Any input? This is literally all of the work I've done so far as I stopped working to eat buffalo wings while I wait for responses
>>
>>51150113
There's a youtube series called harmond's quest or something like that

Aubrey Plaza is in it
>>
>>51150113

rusty quill gaming
>>
>>51150166
I'll have to check it out. Just found one called Bards & Nobles. The first episode is a rough listen, but the rest get better and better.
>>
>>51150026
My thoughts on Artificer.

1) 5th level spells wouldn't unbalance it.
2) There need to be a few more Subclasses. A Wand Adept, a Mage Wright, and a Maester.
>Wand Adept dealing with unique temporary arcane foci to use cantrips, being able to make wands as their discovery, and unique abilities to play with the charge/recharge and exhausted system of wands and staves.
>Magewright having a largely expanded spell list and perhaps the ability to scribe scrolls and a tomelock style ability of being a ritual cater for its own list and others acquired.
>Maester or Master Maker being about more abilities enhancing the Mechanical servant, and building smaller familiar like constructs. Perhaps even moving the entire mechanical servant over into this feature.
3) If you're going to stick to 4th level spells as the cap then it should get cantrips...
4) I wouldn't mind their initially attempted Arcane Tradition being renamed and tinkered with and released under a different name.
5) I would like more variety in the alchemist and the gunsmith. For alchemist perhaps a wider birth of unique alchemical items or item properties. For Gunsmith, when elemental damage options are presented for the Thunder Canon there should be a choice between 2 or so damage types for when you make your munitions.
>>
>>51150182
Harmonquest

there's a scene where a kobold and goblin jerk each other off so /tg/ should like it
>>
>>51150229
>>Magewright
You probably want a different name because that was an intentionally shitty NPC class in the same setting the artificer came from.

>Maester or Master Maker
Renegade Master Maker was an artificer prestige class in 3.5, so that's a decent name. It was about adding magical grafts onto yourself though, like warforged parts.
>>
Any ideas of multiclassing with alchemist to add more spells?
>>
I have an hour to kill. Tell me your character concept, and I'll tell you the custom item I'd give you if I was your DM.
>>
>>51150258
>>51150182
I really like Harmonquest, but, being played primarily by people who don't normally play tabletops, it's not taken particularly seriously. It's humor from an outsider's perspective, which might not be everyone's cup of tea.
>>
>>51150299

8th level human Wild Magic Wizard

Has penchant for magic, so applied for the night classes at the local magic school to hopefully secure a better life for his wife and 3 kids than his manual labor job. Extremely nice, well-mannered, and all around good guy. Everyone believes he has a sort of magic-dyslexia, because he can't seem to get scrolls and incantations right. With the help of his professors and peers (of which most are half his age), he's able to graduate.
>>
>>51150299
Female Half elf bard/rogue multiclass on the run from unpaid childcare bills. Adventuring to earn the money and spend it elsewhere.
>>
>>51150264
That's kind of why I lifted Magewright. With the death of NPC classes the concept of layman service spellcasters could easily wind up as part of the artificers deal but more balanced and viable than its 3.5 implementation.
>>
Rapier and Hand Croos bow Expert with Battle Master what moves should I take?
>>
>>51150300
3 of the players are frequent RPG players (though not very good ones), one is a guest who is usually new.
>>
>>51150300
I do enjoy watching Bullwevil's player gradually get the rules and lore as he references books during play. Though to note, they are playing Pathfinder.
>>
>>51150366
My mistake then, I was under the impression only the DM and that one guest star (Dildo Swaggins) were regular tabletop players.
>>
>>51150345
Is that supposed to be sorcerer?

A wand that has 7 charges. It restores 1d4+3 charges each day at dawn. After rolling damage for a spell, you can spend a charge to change the die rolls to their opposite position on the die (i.e. on a d6, 1 becomes 6, 2 becomes 5, 3 becomes 4, 4 becomes 3, 5 becomes 2, 6 becomes 1).

>>51150351
A magical passport. When someone other than you opens it and looks at it, they must pass a Charisma saving throw equal to your spell DC or become charmed for 1 minute. During that time, they take pity on you and try to help you in annoying, awkward ways.
>>
Complete noob to the system here. Is it possible to make a character around bladed scarves in this or is that strictly a pathfinder thing at this point? I wanted to make a Dwarven Fighter who uses one flavored as having knives braided into his very long beard.
>>
>>51150432
WOOPS yeah...the whole schtick is that he's actually a WM sorcerer.
>>
>>51150113
Acquisitions Inc.
Dice Camera Action.
>>
>>51149930
Warcaster is better for you until DC 20, AKA 40 damage per hit.
>>
>>51150113
Bards & Nobles is a pretty raw actual play podcast.
>>
>>51150437
I would call it anime as fuck, but you're playing a dwarf which confuses me deeply.
>>
>>51150229
Post this and other critiques like this as feedback for Wizards. Fucking do it.
>>
>>51150299
Warforged Evocation Wizard that fires spells from an arm cannon of sorts rather than having a second hand.

Created by another, ingenious human wizard, originally as an experiment to see if he could, before growing attached and 'raising' his creation. His creator has since been kidnapped by a jealous rival, who's assembled his own group of his own creations.
>>
>>51150299
Half elf warlock at lvl 7.
Grew up as a street urchin, fighting for survival, ended up befriending an old man who owned a quite peculiar bookshop.

Started out by simply sorting books and helping him archive it all, upon which he found on accident a hidden compartment filled with books in languages he could scarcely imagine.
One night he decided to attempt to read one of them, reading under his breath to attempt to pronounce the words he saw, which lead to him hearing a voice. A voice that promised him success, to get a proper life and not having to live off of scraps. Of course, the voice asked for payment, the payment being the small warmth he currently had.

Day after, kind old man had gone completely insane and he found himself with newfound, strange magical powers.

Overall a slightly jaded, but calm and assertive type of person.
Also the setting was pretty grimdark, so I went full edge.
>>
>>51150437
Bladed scarves? What the shit?

That's definitely not a thing in 5e, but you could probably ask a DM to refluff Battlerager spiked armor or a dagger or something for you
>>
>>51150299
Hippie stoner druid that likes being an animal more than being an elf, and also likes setting thins on fire.
>>
>>51146663
Could you post more of this and your gun rules?
What kind of game, what classes, what rules are you using?
>>
>>51146663
You don't really have to do anything. Thunder cannon ramps up in damage very quickly.
>>
>>51150508
I intend to. That's the whole point of the feedback surveys.

I'm compiling more verbose and complex ideas around those bullet points.
>>
Is monk legitimately bad or are people just being autistic and screaming stop liking what I don't like at the top of their lungs?
>>
>>51150299
Wuodon Lo Sleithirn Maelnoth The Changed.

Once a Dragonborn Paladin, adventuring with a group of heroes. They traveled to the dark depths of the world.
These heroes were defeated and captured by Slaad. Each hero infected with a Slaad Tadpole.
The Tapole in Wuodon mutated and merged with him. As the other heroes were killed from within the Slaad wondered why Wuodon did not die. They tried infecting him again and nothing happened. Over time the dragonborn grew in odd manners. Thicker scales, a third arm, blood red eyes. The Slaad grew wary of Wuodon, believing they could not kill him, and that if he remained here he would grow into something that would infact kill the Slaad. The Slaad used their magics to teleport him to a far away land.

Wuodon then began to live in wilderness outside of the Hamlet of Medale. Wuodon could no longer hear the voice of his god. No virtuous powers from above. No light in his heart. His companions long dead. He was alone. He did not give up hope though, everyday he prayed to his god.

Word grew that a freakish beast dwelt in the wilderness and hunters from afar came to hunt the beast. When Wuodon was cornered by the hunters he stood his ground and accepted his fate. But the people of Medale intervened and said that this "freak" is clearly intelligent and has never harmed any of our hunters. They protected him.

From that day forth Wuodon protected Medale. Guarding the bridge that led to the moated Village. In rain or shine. Day and night he stood watch. Swearing his life to protect the people of Medale.

One day a legion of undead marched on Medale. They bowled over Wuodon, and destroyed the city. Their leader, a Necromancer, looked at Wuodon and told his minions to ignore the freak, and that he does not want "aberrations and variables" in his experiments. They left Wuodon in the mud and the city in ruins as they took all the corpses of the villagers.

Now Wuodon has regained his purpose and set out for justice!
>>
With all this talk about guns, let's talk about the implications of DMG modern weapons.

Let's say you start a modern game with exactly the base rules of 5e and with full access to modern firearms. What would the implications be on character creation?
Would everyone go fighter to take advantage of multiple attacks? Does the shield spell become more necessary? In general, what sort of characters and parties should we expect?
>>
>>51150514
You're not trying to be subtle about Mega Man, right?

A warforged component that has 7 charges. It regains 1d4+3 charges at dawn of each day. You can expend one charge to cast Absorb Elements. You may apply the damage bonus of Absorb Elements to a spell attack you make instead of a melee weapon attack.

>>51150525
A spear made not from wood, but a strange transparent material. It is filled with viscous fluids that intermingle but never mix. The fluids are red, yellow, and white. You have advantage on Deception and Intimidation checks while attuned to the spear, and you may use it as an arcane focus.
>>
File: 1479685168131.png (39KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1479685168131.png
39KB, 256x256px
Asking again, is it weird that I find it hard to imagine Artificers at all, especially Alchemists, wearing any sort of armor?
>>
>>51150113
Dawnforgedcast.
>>
>>51150605
I still find hard to grasp why clerics wear armor.
>>
Continued from >>51150581

Probably a Shadow Monk.

Thinking of giving him a level in Barbarian and Sorcerer for some Monster Rage and Natural Magic.
>>
>>51150499
>>51150527
Dang. Gonna have to flagellate people with my beard another time.

Alright back-to-back plan. I wanted to make a dancer/sword-fighter esque character with two-weapon fighting and perform out the ass who melds her graceful dance moves into her battle style.
Would it be more efficient to start as a bard and multiclass to fighter or the opposite? Or is there a third, better option?
>>
>>51150603
That's pretty neato, I like it.
Especially since my warlock is fairly socially focused.
>>
File: clothweapon.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
clothweapon.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>51150499
>he doesn't know that dwarves are the most anime of all D&D races
>>
>>51150622
Poor MMOfag.
>>
>>51150603
Actually, I was trying to be unsubtle about Mega Man, though I figured rather than the 'do everything' it's more 'do elemental stuff' but it's an actual character idea that popped in to my dumb head.

Seems interesting, though! Though uh, as a new player, does the resistance gain of the spell apply to the damage you take for the activation of the spell?
>>
>>51150650
>Gonna have to flagellate people with my beard another time.
That reminds me, I need to rewatch Ravandils Quest sometime soon.

>NOW LISTEN TO ME YOU POLE-PROPORTIONED DENDROPHILES.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
So good.
>>
>>51150432
>Magical passport
Sounds fun to me. Good idea.
>>
r8 my homebrew rule: You can spend 1 HD to gain advantage on a death saving throw. If you're at max HD, you may spend all of them to be up with 1hp.
>>
>>51150650
There is a valor bard subclass for the more fighty bards, you could easily make it a dancer
>>
>>51150581
Not an item, but you'd manifest a red and black mark on your body somewhere shaped like an open dragon's mouth viewed from the side. Pustules would constantly form around it, and when used, it would become warm to the touch, reaching a feverish temperature if all its limited use abilities were expended in a day. You know Green-Flame Blade, and 3 times per day you can cast Dissonant Whispers using your Ki DC.

>>51150684
Yes, that's how Absorb Elements works. It would be a crappy spell otherwise.

>>51150659
The fluids inside were slowly drained from the kindly old man's body over time. The white fluid is solid parts of his innards liquified.
>>
>>51150698
>YOU FUCKING TEEEEEAAAAAAASE!
One of the greatest things to come out of YouTube.
>>
>>51150708
Eh, not particularily bad or good, if it floats your goat then let it float
>>
>>51150708
I might let them spend all HD to stabilize at 0 hp, but not get a free revive.
>>
>>51150299
High elf philosopher who took a sabbatical to go learn from the druids, losing all his possessions and getting trapped in a warlock fae pact in the process.
He's adventuring for enough gold to afford a shower and proper clothes so he can return to high elven society, to complete his dead friend's research into creating some kind of elven master race, and to run away from commitment
>>
File: Jack is back.webm (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Jack is back.webm
2MB, 1024x576px
>>51150299
A 3rd level ~cyborg ninja~ in a steampunk setting. He's literally Raiden being a brain in jar inside a cyberbody. Was a child soldier from 13-27. Mercs hired by 'the church' killed his family when he was 9 when they were smiting evil and caught them in the crossfire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-8TdpkfDA

He's specialized in swords, with training in guns, and can drive a car. He's sympathetic to child soldiers and slaves, and antagonistic against mercs who don't adhere to war ethics.
>>
>>51150736
> a red and black mark on your body somewhere shaped like an open dragon's mouth
>Pustules would constantly form around it
>reaching a feverish temperature
>You know Green-Flame Blade, and 3 times per day you can cast Dissonant Whispers using your Ki DC.

Are you a DM or are you a God? I am leaning to the latter.
>>
>>51150736
>spear of old man

H-holy shit anon. I like it.
>>
>>51150605
Why wouldn't they wear armour if they're adventuring?

I imagine them more crazy and rough-and-tumble than wizards, so they'll actually have had time to get accustomed to armour. Wizards would rather be snooty bastards who hide at the back. While the alchemist probably doesn't want to get close, they're probably not afraid of it, they get into a mess all the time, probably.
>>
>>51150762
>this fatass can go ninja on a water jug
>my DM wants a Dexterity check to cut a rope
>>
>>51150757
A brooch shaped like a silver leaf. You can change the damage type of Eldritch Blast and Hex to fire or cold (whichever matches your patron archfey best). When you change the damage type to your archfey's preferred type, you increase the damage die one step (d10 to d12, d6 to d8).

>>51150770
I run all my games in Eberron. It's a 5e aberrant dragonmark with the name filed off since you're probably not playing in Eberron.

>>51150762
Stick to D&D 5e characters.
>>
>>51150622
Because they're Clerics, not Priests.
>>
>>51150299
Human criminal conjurer with photographic memory that learned all his magic by sneaking into wizard libraries and stealing spells because his father wanted him to make a living as a thief and wouldn't pay for wizard school
>>
>>51150622
Clerics =/= priests. Clerics = crusaders. People really need to get this.

>>51150783
Honestly, I personally think wizards should wear armor. No particular reason they shouldn't desu. Mountain dwarf wizards are the most reasonable wizards.
>>
>>51150580
4 Elements monk is bad. Aside from that, the problems with monks are roughly the same as the problems with rogues. They're designed to encourage placing them in dangerous situations (mostly stealth and frontline combat), but they're fragile and not actually good at handling dangerous situations. They require a lot more skill and caution than other characters. In any party, the rogue is usually the first character to die, unless there's a monk, in which case the monk is the first character to die.
>>
>>51150850
Any wizard can easily wear armour. Just one level dip into fighter.

However, may wizards choose not to because they're too intent on persuing their discipline to even consider going that route, they'd rather be snooty and have the fighter doing that.
>>
>>51150845
A staff made from a composite of bones from various animals. You can use your own spell slots to cast Conjure Animals as if you had the spell prepared. It belongs to a visiting archdruid who will want to take it back and add your skull to the top of it if he finds you.
>>
>>51150299
Fey Warlock, poet, has visions of Sidhe Leanan encased in ice in his dreams, falls in love, hence creating the contract.
As a result, he turns into visionary-level poet, and casts spells from these fey-infused works.
Is also a Dorf and totes around a warhammer he intends on breaking her out of the ice with
I'm actually a 4everDM who just really wants to play this character
>>
>>51150299
A disgraced Goblin Ranger who's great grandfather had once United all the Goblin clans of the realm under his rule before he was overthrown by outside forces. Cast out from his tribe for being "weak" (in actuality the tribe chieftain was protecting his position) Marrowsnap took to living in the forest, silently waiting for the day he becomes strong enough to unite his people onCE more.
>>
File: 1432705025035.gif (2MB, 624x335px) Image search: [Google]
1432705025035.gif
2MB, 624x335px
>>51150833
It's as 5e as it gets. :^)

An now here's the item:
Gray Fox Blade:
+blade mode's behind you
+cuts through all your armor in one hit, and slices you into a million pieces
+you can keep things non personal
-costs 200,000 BP
-makes you look like a noob
-this isn't my sword
>>
>>51150541
Spliff the high elf, of Toke village, under the wise guidance of Chief Keef
>>
>>51150880
The hammer slowly transmutes from iron to silver and Sylvan runes appear on it. When light strikes it, it sparkles like an icicle. You can use the hammer as an arcane focus, and you add Booming Blade to your known cantrips. While attuned to the hammer, you have advantage on checks made to break objects, and your spells that can damage objects deal double damage.

>>51150909
Which ranger archetype?
>>
>>51150833
>I run all my games in Eberron. It's a 5e aberrant dragonmark with the name filed off since you're probably not playing in Eberron.

Still man, you knew exactly the kind of shit I would want based my character idea alone. That's a skill alot of DMs don't have imo.
>>
>>51150299
Level 9 Half-Elf Moon druid, specializes in fire,turning into birds, herb-lore and potions.

currently attached to a court as their Apothecary while he looks for his bird-brained master.
>>
>>51150299
A treachery paladin who dresses himself up to give the appearance of a dark knight, tries to make himself out to be a villain or anti-hero but instead is actually quite heroic and has a strong sense of justice.
>>
>>51150973
Hunter archetype. Focusing on killing any and all things that look down on him figuratively and literally. So everything.
>>
Posted this in the last thread, it's the first draft of my homebrew psychic sorcerer origin. Thoughts?
>>
>>51150299
It's just a concept, it's not written in stone and honestly the entire second half came to mind just now.
VHuman/Goliath Berserker Barbarian, uses a reflavored maul.

Raised by stereotypical oni who 'borrowed' him after impressing/amusing them after wandering in to a hunting camp of them, he acts very loud, boisterous, and honest, outright disgusted by the idea of dishonesty or gossip. He loves a good drink and a good scrap, though he's embarrassed he doesn't have anywhere near the tolerance for booze his 'kin' do. Proud of his strength, but not unreasonably so, and knows how to admit defeat.

His goal is to impress his clan by growing phenomenally strong, besting something even stronger, and to go on a continent-wide bar crawl of sorts, sampling the strongest, most dangerous drinks that they have everywhere he stops, taking notes of the stuff as he goes.
>>
>>51151021
A shortbow made from a hobgoblin's femur and a bowstring made from a bugbear's braided hair. You do not have to maintain concentration on Hunter's Mark to get the full duration from it.
>>
I'm thinking about going to my game shop and playing DnD for the first time (going to be a Warlock). Anything I should know/do so I don't seem like a complete noob?
>>
>>51151050
Pretty beast. I can definitely dig it. Thanks dude.
>>
File: immortal.jpg (26KB, 500x573px) Image search: [Google]
immortal.jpg
26KB, 500x573px
>>51150299
Lvl 9 goliath bard based on pic related.
Has a 1 level dip into fighter and uses a large axe when not rocking the fuck out.

Gets 200% mad over the smallest things, takes things personally and has an obsession with collecting vials and jugs of blood to use for his performances.
>>
>>51150869
Good points, mate, would it be well justified then in increasing their hd?
What hd do casters get incidentally?
>>
>>51151017
A greatsword with a black blade and a golden hilt. Cha-modifier times per day, you can use Hellish Rebuke, except it deals radiant damage, and you may use Hellish Rebuke when an ally within 60 ft. takes damage as well as when you do. The fire from Hellish Rebuke is grey and leaves a trail of ash.
>>
>>51150850
Then what are paladins?
>>
>>51151132
Pretty neat, I like it.
>>
>>51150875
>too intent on persuing their discipline to even consider going that route
Too intent on learning magic to put on protective clothes? That makes no actual sense.

>>51151146
Personal champions of a god, rather than clergy-militant.
>>
>>51151047
The maul gains magical power from your spirit. You can cast Enlarge Con-modifier number of times per day, and you may concentrate on it through rage.
>>
>>51151101
The axe has guitar strings on it and can be played as an instrument. While attuned to the axe, Vicious Mockery deals thunder damage, the die size increases to d8s, and you add your Charisma to its damage.
>>
>>51150783
I dunno. The Gunsmith, sure, I guess, but when I hear "alchemist" I imagine someone dressed not unlike a more practically-clothed wizard.
>>51150622
As a battlepriest, I can see it, I guess. But I can just as easily imagine them with armor as without.
>>
>>51151199
FUCKING GLORIOUS.
12/10, I want it.
>>
I want to run a low magic, Penny Dreadful inspired game. I'm not really sure how to approach that though, as I've never DMed before. Most of the magic they'll encounter will be through items, enemies, and and ritual magic. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. Any ideas on how I could do this?
>>
>>51151171
But paladins don't require a specific god to work, and clerics do.
Now I'm confused.
>>
>>51151128
Wizards and sorcerers get the smallest HD, which is now a D6. Everyone else who once got a D6 or less now gets a d8.

Honestly, an extra hit point or two per level wouldn't make a huge difference when the monk's play style is built into the rules and into players' minds. If I were to tweak the monk class, I'd look for more abilities that helped them play smart, hit and run, get damaged less by getting attacked less. They can do that to a degree now, but maybe there's a bit of ivory tower game design in how little that style of play is encouraged. The monk I play with just charges into every combat and makes four attacks per round until he drops, and he's ALWAYS the first to drop.
>>
>>51151065
Do you know if the games at your store are homebrew, or official? There's a difference.
>>
>>51151180
That sounds pretty badass, I'd love to have that happen.
>>
>>51150877
I love it!
>>
>>51150299
I've got two characters. One is a Half-Elf Mystic, who doesn't remember much before being found floating on a boat in the Underdark by his party. He'd previously been held captive by Mind Flayers, who took his memories and were trying to discover the secret behind his Psionic powers, but managed to escape. He's since returned to where he was captured to kill the ones who imprisoned him rescue a fellow prisoner who'd helped him escaped. He still doesn't have his memories back, but he's largely okay with that since he's more wrapped up in the important quest they're on.

The other is a High Elf Swashbuckling Rogue. He's a con-man, helping 'raise funds' for members of the party. One is a Monk who wants to rebuild his dojo (that his Fire Genasi apprentice burned down) and the other is a Druid/Ranger they found who is tired of people trespassing on his land, and my Rogue convinced him to join them on their adventure with the promise of raising money to build a wall around it.
>>
>>51150299
Dwarven Shadow Monk. Full plate, shield, warhammer. All Monk abilities are refluffed as a pseudo-mystical alteration of physical laws. He is a member of a Dwarven secret society that originally sought superior smithing and masonry skills through a greater understanding of metallurgy, geology, and the substances of the world, but in their studies they accidentally stumbled upon the notion that matter and energy are the same thing and broke off into a philosophical sect.

He lives in the woods like a dirty forest hobo where he meditates on the nature of matter and works to perfect his manifesto, which he will present to the elders of his society before taking on an apprentice to induct into the society's mysteries. He also talks to ghosts (his master and other former society members) residing in a stone warhammer, kind of like that old Elven Eternal Blade PrC from the BoWFM.
>>
>>51151225
They WERE personal champions of Gods, but a bunch of faggots who really liked the flavor and powers of the class but couldn't handle the alignment restrictions necessitated the whole thing being changed just to stop their unending bitchfests.
>>
>>51151026
Potential double proficiency is weird. Just give them advantage on those saves, or wait a few levels and give them proficiency in wisdom or intelligence saves.
Hmm. I see you give them advantage later. Giving both proficiency (potentially doubled) and advantage to one thing is a bit too much. They really might as well have immunity at that point, especially to illusion saves (which use int).

Break The Limit is probably way too strong.

>>51151225
That was never entirely true. Clerics could be worshippers of a cause or philosophy as early as 2nd edition (see Complete Priest Handbook). The difference is really more between the cleric being a militant follower of a deity or cause and the paladin being a paragon of virtue representing that cause (usually a god or Lawful Goodness in general, until 4e). Keep in mind, too, that paladins used to have much higher required stats (back when those were a thing) - they were meant to be more rare and exceptional.
>>
>>51150299
My hour is up, thanks for helping me kill the time.
>>
>>51150113
The Adventure Zone is alright, but I'm only a couple of episodes in so I can't give it a proper review. Go in expecting light hearted silliness and fumbling with the rules though, since most of the players are new to the system.
>>
>>51151065
Do not choose the Pact of the Blade. Just don't do it. Every new warlock takes it because it sounds the coolest, but you are not a sword-swinger. Accept it.

Take the Hex spell at level 1 and cast it often. Take the Agonizing Blast invocation at level 2. These two features secretly form a large share of the damage you're supposed to do. It's very easy for a new warlock to not learn the Hex spell or the Agonizing Blast invocation, but they're secretly mandatory. It's not a good piece of design, but that's the way it is. The game designers assume that you will know to take them without being told to. This is what /tg/ calls ivory tower game design.
>>
>>51151321
That's horseshit. I'm holding the 2e PHB and gods aren't even mentioned in the Paladin entry. They were champions of virtue and causes, not a particular church. They are specifically required to tithe to either a religious institution or lawful good organization, meaning they don't even have to be religious.
If you're going to be a grognard, at least do it without making shit up.
>>
>>51151215
D&D is generally built on the assumption that at least half of the PCs will be able to cast spells. Removing PC spellcasters would remove a large part of what makes the players function as a party.

Since you've never DMed before, maybe try running an original-flavor campaign before you try reinventing the wheel.
>>
>>51151253
Isn't breaking up a move a thing in 5e? Why didn't the player move away from the enemy after attacking or was all of the movement already used up?
Rogues can solve this issue by disengaging and dashing. Sounds like the monk needs something similar.
>>
>>51151361
Do not take agonizing blast at level 2. Assuming you have normal stats, either false life at will, silent image at will, or disguise self at will provide more utility, and arguably damage. Agonizing blast just increases damage by 3 at level 2. Take agonizing blast once your eldritch blast splits.
>>
>>51151418
Monks can use Step of the Wind, but it costs ki, and so in reality players are very reluctant to do it. You hardly ever see a monk spend ki on anything but Stunning Fist or Flurry of Blows.
>>
>>51151253
That's because that player is a retard and the monk needs a d10 hd.

>>
>>51151447

I use Step of the Wind fairly often. Granted, I'm now a level 9 Monk, so I've got plenty of ki.
>>
>>51151447
I probably use Step of the Wind more than any other ki source, but I'm also fighting giants all day so Stunning Blow isn't a great idea.
>>
>>51151428
Nobody ever falls for a Silent Image (because it's silent) or Disguise Self (because the effects of Deception checks on NPC reactions have been made much more limited and reasonable.) Those invocations are merely okay at level 2 and quickly become useless.
>>
Just to collate all these....

D&D 5e podcasts and streams:

West Marches
Harmonquest
Rusty Quill Gaming
Acquisitions Inc.
Dice Camera Action
Bards & Nobles
Dawnforgedcast
The Adventure Zone
>>
>>51151488

Yeah, stunning strike loses a lot of appeal after you've run into your tenth encounter in a row with huge con creatures. I don't even really use it any more.
>>
>>51151526
We have a Diviner Wizard in the party, so if he has a nice portent we'll set up an auto-fail on a creature and then disarm+KD+restrain it. Just get fucked, giant.
>>
>>51151447
If the player is not using a resource that promotes survivability, it's actually their problem rather than a design problem.
>>
>>51150229
this is what i did:
Warlock like casting, without 6 7 8 9 spells.
Infusions->work like warlock invocation (i made 28-30)
Craft reserve points -> unearthed arcana eberron artificer creation options + wands + staffs +rings
Gain the wondrous items at the same rate the UA artificer does.
Archetypes
Wand adept is around gunsminth dmg with some other goodie (quicken, maximice or change the elementent of the cantrip using craft reserve points)
spellcarved soldier: melee/tank. Warforged only for now. Extend buff on you, extra attack , gain evasion or resistance using craft reserve points.
Homunculus engineer(name pending) with the original homunculus, chose one from: packmate, dedicated wright , iron defender, arbalest ,expeditius messenger or persistent harrier. Chose between small or medium sizes. Everyone has an hability
unboun scroll: use scrolls to replicate wizard/cleric of some spells you know, can get the 6 7 8 and 9 spells that way, scrolls are cheaper to make..

I have to make it visible, is like 3 or 4 pages long. But have some tablets.
>>
>>51151570
A good design is relatively idiotproof. If a plug has to go in a certain way, you should design it so that it can't be put in the wrong way.

Of course, if Monte Cook designed a plug he'd make it electrocute you if you put it in wrong to "reward plug mastery."
>>
so for you that make your own setting, do you offer other ethnicities for humans/other skin colors for elves and dwarves ect ect if you players want to use em??
>>
>>51151652
Never in my gaming practice anybody wanted to play a black elf.
>>
>>51151513
Don't watch Dawnforgedcast, the other poster was being a shit.

Dawnforgedcast is a piece of shit that trolled and insulted other content creators into quitting youtube under fake handles, got caught but blamed it on his sick brother or a deranged fan, got caught out on that and then made a half-assed apology video that he has since taken down. He keeps shilling his own channel to no end and says others channels aren't nearly as good as he is.

Pay that filth no mind.
>>
theres a UA Warlock or Wizard archetype called artificer and its pretty distinct from the the full on class
do you think they'll change that up later or what?
>>
What would the ramifications be for someone falling out of the sky (via a catapult) into the ocean, but attempting to Misty Step to under the surface at the last second?

Half Elf male Arcane Trickster casting Misty step
Couple hundred feet in the air
Calm ocean.

My initial instinct is to rule it as still taking damage (say 10d6) and making a Con save vs. going unconscious (displacing water that rapidly, pressure changes, etc)

ANy suggestions?
>>
>>51151428
I just pick Speak with Animals at will because my GM is super good at roleplaying animals and it's a blast to talk to them.
>>
>>51151652
Even in the absence of geographically distant countries and distinct ethnicities that would grant varying skin tones, we're talking about worlds where people shoot fireballs at skeletons and dragons steal magic swords. A black dude in what amounts to Fantasy Wyoming is the least outstanding thing anyone there is going to see.
>>
>>51151649
Just wading into combat trying to land all attacks and not giving any thought to strategy seems worse than being just an idiot though.
It's hilarious in any case.
>>
>>51151652
The non-creepy thing to do is to just let players describe what their characters look like. That way they can play whatever ethnicity of whatever and the chance of segueing into an unwanted political argument is kept to a minimum.
>>
>>51151503
Wouldn't that vary wildly depending on the DM?
>>
>>51151705
In past editions, teleportation spells have conserved momentum, specifically to avoid players skirting falling damage like this. However, it creates issues where you can fuck off and make gravity-powered death cannons. There is no particular ruling one way or the other in 5E.
>>
>>51151705
Of course this is up to GM discretion, but I think Misty Step would negate any speed he might have so it would just be displacing water and pressure changes, depending on how far down he goes.

Though according to RAW IIRC, you can't really cast much other than at will spells when falling anyway. Feel free to prove me wrong on that though, was a while since I looked at those rules. Might also be rules from PF, unsure, memory is a bit shot.
>>
>>51151678
He's not even any good. His presentation style is as boring as possible, and he's really dumb. He'll get basic things wrong about the rules and more general things like how water works. Watching him draw up a fantasy map was one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen on Youtube.
>>
>>51151652
The non-creepy thing to do is to tell the players what is and is not in the game, and refuse to walk on eggshells for anyone.
>>
File: tumblr_o1bpqdcbYj1rnfnbto1_1280.png (388KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1bpqdcbYj1rnfnbto1_1280.png
388KB, 803x1000px
>>51150299
Kobold Rouge Thief, runs a curio shop with her sister in her home town that specializes in magic items. is constantly on the search for new stock so is often out scouring ruins.
A little soft spoken outside of selling things she is compassionate and has a big heart so can often get swept up in others problems or quests.
>>
>>51151754
I mean, if the DM doesn't know the rules, sure.
>>
>>51151805
>shes got huuuge...tracks of land
>>
>>51151358
>fumbling with the rules

Do people really sperg out that much when podcasts do this?
Every group's got some rule they have wrong, it's just how the game is realistically played.
>>
>>51151652
Sure. Winter elves are pale as fuck, but summer elves are pretty damn dark.

>>51151794
>Muh SJWs ruining gaming
>>
>>51151826
One DM might rule that a group goblin spends an action examining that huge gelatinous cube you just conjured up with Silent Image. Another DM might rule they simply run away without bothering to stay and check it out.

This kind of stuff is very DM-dependant. Have you never played with more than one DM?
>>
>>51151794
Because the integrity of your shitty homebrew is much more important than having an enjoyable experience telling a story together. If one of my players wants to make up some kind of ethnic group to belong to, I'm actually grateful, because that means he's getting much more involved in the campaign than most of my players, who just go full murderhobo and ignore every opportunity I give them to participate in the story.
>>
>>51151793
I agree with everything you just said, man. He is frankly a colossal embarrassment, but also a smarmy, conniving unapologetic piece of work.
>>
>>51151215
D&D's just not really meant for low magic campaigns. You certainly can, but you'll be cutting out a huge part of the system.

Not only would you be severely limiting PC class options, but you'd have to pretty much make entirely custom monsters, as the MM assumes casters exist.

So, in short, yes, you can. But your biggest undertaking is making monsters, and making those fights/interactions interesting.
I might considering looking at the NEXT playtest material and bringing back the martial superiority dice.
>>
>>51151805
Fuck you for making me want to breed a goddamn kobold.
>>
>>51151805
That kobold doesn't look rouge.
>>
>>51151937
Go back to /pfg/.
>>
>>51151794
>The non-creepy thing is to force an arbitrary character limitation and make your group walk on eggshells for you
>>
>>51151890
Aside from the fact that you picked a really bad example monster because cubes are almost invisible, Silent Image is simply too limited to impersonate anything other than a rock or a section of wall. It can't make sound, and it can't even move unless you spend an action to move it, which you can't do on the turn you cast it. A silent and stock-still monster is going to set off the bullshit sensors of even the dumbest goblins, and that's being generous and assuming they didn't see it appear out of nowhere.

The times I've seen Silent Image accomplish something were times when the DM forgot about one of its many restrictions.
>>
>>51150299
A heir of a merchant house who left his former life behind after deciding to study death and medicine within a monastery of Long Death.
Afterwards he got into a conflict with a senior member of the monastery who arranged for him to dissapear during a ''trial by fire'' in the wilderness.
There he was saved by a bounty-hunter who plied his trade in the deep woods where the some of the worst criminals hid.
Thinking it's better to avoid his monastery he took up to the trade of a bounty-hunter , learning from the ranger who saved him.

Basically:
>Long Death monk 6/ UA Hunter ranger 3 (dueling fighting style and collossus slayer)
>Medicine , Survival, Athletics, Stealth proficiencies
>Favours using a shortsword
>>
>>51151967
>>51151901
You can work with the DM to come up with a proper character concept, but don't argue on a political basis as an excuse to change someone else's game.
>>
>>51151993
Are we assuming it's in combat? I've always seen it as an out-of-combat kind of spell.

That and as more useful with non-living things, but not just rocks or walls. Something distracting like a big pile of gold, or weapons. If you're going to go living have a fake hostage or a sleeping dog that would be reasonably quiet.
>>
>>51151805
kill yourself
>>
>>51151358

TAZ is great.
>>
>>51150113
Drunks and dragons has been okay. I'm like 6 episodes in. They start with 4e, but switch to 5e according to a friend of mine that has listened to it all
>>
>>51151794
The non-creepy thing is to let your players describe the colour of their character's hair, eyes, and skin.
>>
File: Oswald.jpg (932KB, 1886x2772px)
Oswald.jpg
932KB, 1886x2772px
I asked this a few threads ago but what would be a good class to splash with for a Treachery Paladin? I was thinking maybe Samurai or Swashbuckler. Former for the resistance and advantage for the poison blade, latter because Swashbuckler synergizes well with Paladin.
>>
>>51152031
Call it what you want, but if your setting can't acknowledge the vast majority of human history then I think the issue is more than ""political""

Although you are right, don't force your DM to change something when it's reasonable in the setting. But I think there's a big difference between "This race typically has this appearance" and "Nobody in this entire world has melanin"
>>
>>51151826
Where are there hard rules for how NPCs interact with illusions?
>>
>>51151358
the adventure zone has gotten very very good
>>
>>51151794
>refuse to walk on eggshells for anyone.
I've heard that before, but it is always more of
>refuse to compromise in any regards for anyone.
I hope it is not.

>>51151652
Every good Fantasy setting has a Mediterranean Sea analog. Where everyone from everywhere comes to trade. Sure, north of the trading cities is White people in castles with vikings and knights and !Christains. You can be anyone from anywhere, but not being a traditional LOTR fantasy character means you aren't from the local area and passed through the trading cities.
Classic Fantasy trope. Trading City full of merchants and travelers and mercenaries from strange exotic lands.
Which is where, in my setting, the Dwarven Knights with Japanese Accents and Beetle Armour always pop up.
The Kabuto Bulwark.
They love the ale from the northern kingdom and travel to these trading cities to buy kegs of this ale to bring home.
>>
>>51152137
In the wording of the spell itself.
>>
>>51152031
I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Who are these mythical players who want to change your homebrew to push political ideas to a group of five basement-dwelling nerds? Because I've never met one of them.

>>51152152
>refuse to walk on eggshells for anyone
usually means
>I have no proper counterargument so I'm going to claim the moral high ground and hope everyone agrees
>>
>>51151780
If it's "At Will", it's probably a holdover from Pathfinder.

5e has Cantrips and spells, either of which can be Bonus Action, Action, Minute, 10 minutes, One Hour, or 8 Hours.
>>
>>51151358
The dad is really the only one who consistently fucks up after the first few sessions. Other than that, if you don't mind huge detours from a traditional fantasy setting, I'd definitely recommend it
>>
>>51151780
>>51151705
>>51151760

Is it safe to say a catapult found on a caravel sized ship would easily launch a medium sized creature hundreds of feet (vertically and horizontally)?

I've seen the formulas for catapults, and simply don't feel like mathing that out.
>>
>>51152220
You do have spells on at will through warlock.
>>
>>51152112
>>51152112
If elves are white is it white pride?
If the church is evil, is it anti-christian?

The primary agent for a D&D setting shouldn't be an agenda, or be read into as some kind of DM to player manifesto/allegory.

Last game I ran fedoracores were patting me on the back for sticking it to the Catholic Church by making them the bad guys when I'm running a pickup game for people not knowing their faiths. While you can't make a monotheistic bad guy without looking like Catholicism I'm not winking at my fellow atheists for reaching success in a imaginary arena.

Many players enter games wearing their hearts on their sleeves matching their beliefs to the characters they make without exception.
>>
>>51152260
Shipboard weapons can't be as big as siege weapons built on the ground. It's likely that the bucket on the catapult can't even hold a Medium creature.
>>
>>51150166
Seconding this. Shit gets weird and it's awesome. Also fuck JP for canceling it.
>>
>>51152336
'es an Elf, tho
>>
File: IMG_0368.png (359KB, 721x665px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0368.png
359KB, 721x665px
How would you suggest playing a comicaly edgy character like Reaper?
>>
File: Silent Image.png (467KB, 433x480px) Image search: [Google]
Silent Image.png
467KB, 433x480px
>>51152188
Am I missing something here? The wording makes it sound like a NPC would believe the illusion until it passes its check or physically inspects it. As to whether or not a NPC would even attempt the check, that would obviously be up to the DM, since he runs the NPCs.

If you're just talking about the limitations of the illusion, then what's you're argument? It's a 1st level spell. Of course it's not as good as, say, Major Image. But it's an effective, cheap spell if you just need an inanimate object or something.
>>
>>51152324
Literally what are you on? Where was I talking about an "agenda"?

I said if a setting has restrictions on a race that's fine, but if a reasonable option, say brown skin, doesn't exist in any race, there's a problem with the setting.
>>
>>51152366
Call me back when he's a halfling
>>
>>51152426
We have manlings and halflings
What's a ling?
>>
>>51152376
With a group you've discussed this idea with beforehand and who are okay with it.
>>
>>51152397
My argument, though it's probably halfway up the thread by now, is that it's a waste of a warlock invocation. If you're a wizard, sure, go on and take it, you get a million spells anyway.
>>
>>51152442
>-ling
>a suffix of nouns, often pejorative, denoting one concerned with (hireling; underling), or diminutive (princeling; duckling).
>>
File: 15y9d00.jpg (6KB, 200x291px) Image search: [Google]
15y9d00.jpg
6KB, 200x291px
Shit guys I am running a campaign in 2 hours and I forgot to get a map for the city the PCs are going to.

Please post city maps.

It will be mostly improv'd, so don't worry about specifics.
>>
>>51152442
A term of endearment for prostitutes from Kara Tur
>>
>>51151665
>>51151709
>>51151734
>>51151876
so as a guy who's making a setting with distinct countries with physical analogues to real life human races, and who's elves and dwarves come in a variety if skin tones with other 'sub race indicators' (high elves all generally light fair colored hair, sheild dwarves are pale and have ashy skin doe to staying under ground, Drow are all blue), is this ok?
i mean the setting is set during a time where moest any races or ethnicity can have been raised in another country, and ethnic based racism doesn't exist, but ive put a ot of time and thought into the setting and its social climate and i dont want to come off as a creep
>>
>>51152595
there is like a 2% chance this is going to come up in your game unless the table is populated by fuckers from /pol/ so who cares
you're way overthinking this
the players aren't even going to care about stuff you WANT them to care about
>>
>>51151958
shit, i always type that wrong
>>
>>51152473
I wouldn't call it a waste. It's an at-will spell with pretty decent utility if you use it well. Sure you could probably do better, but let's face it, Agonizing Blast is the only invocation that's really mandatory.

Worst case, it turns out your DM is harsh against illusions and you have to swap it out next level up. C'est la vie.
>>
>>51151678
I can't stand that guy.

I don't know hardly anything about him, until I read this post. But every time I would watch his videos I just got an overwhelming sense of dislike for him.

He seems kind of arrogant in his tone of voice and I feel as though he's one of those "my way is the best way" types. But like someone else mentioned, I notice he often had mistakes in his videos. So the arrogance wasn't even justifiable.
>>
>>51151361
>blade
>coolest
No way. A pet imp is way better. Be a halfling or gnome and you can even be light enough to get carried by your imp. My warlock had an imp saddle.
>>
>>51152744

Didn't he hold a gofundme or something so his wife could get their house painted and begged people on his channel to donate?
>>
>>51150113
Tabletop Escapades is good, besides one player in particular.
>>
File: 1436837139506.jpg (54KB, 419x750px) Image search: [Google]
1436837139506.jpg
54KB, 419x750px
Is it too cringy to have references to video game characters as secret bosses if players meet a set of hidden conditions? I want an excuse to play awesome boss battle music with a cool surprise like the secret boss battles in Kingdom Hearts. It wouldn't be a regular thing or something I railroad them into just something that can happen if players meet some unlikely criteria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnKl4064vEo
>>
>>51151652
If nobody mentions skin tones whatsoever in "session zero" (this is everything between saying we're having a game and the first dice rolls of session one) neither do I. I don't care and it doesn't add much - human racism doesn't need to exist when there's actual fucking skeletons walking around.

If somebody does mention skin tones I allow basically reasonable stuff. Humans and halflings can be human colored, everything else can be pretty much whatever earth tones they desire.
>>
>>51152473
You can use it really effectively to hide by creating fake walls or doors or to do some other sort of misdirection.

Otherwise it's just fun for RP shit.
You can make a huge illusion at will.

>dart around the corner
>illusion a 15 foot hole in the ground (add spikes if you want)
>enemy slows down, or even stops completely

Sure all they have to do is touch the ground to realize it's bullshit, but hey.

Otherwise be an illusion wizard with that ability that makes your illusions real. You can basically conjure up tons of shit for free at will with a 2 level warlock dip.
>implying you'll reach level 16
>>
Are there any ways to make a target surprised during combat as opposed to at the start of it?
>>
>>51152799
I have no idea. Like I said, I hardly know anything about him.
He just seems like a cunt.

Looks like my intuition was right.
>>
>>51152903
Blind and Stun a creature, Banish it, and return it in the same round.

Nigga won't have any goddamn idea what's happening.
>>
>>51152903
banish them
If they come back I'd say they'd be surprised, as they'd have no way of knowing when the effect was going to end on them.
>>
>>51152814
I see this criticism for a lot of shows. I wonder if these people are just that bad in general, or if they're just the worst of the bunch.

Like with Critical Role, Orion was bad....but when he left I noticed how much I hated Marisha as well.
>>
>>51152376
as long as you dont expect people to take it seriously
>>
>>51150650
If your DM is ok with UA, the college of swords bard fits that flavor perfectly.
>>
>>51152951
No, I think it's more that just over time you start to get annoyed by certain personalities.

The only podcast that I've not been bothered by any of the players is The Adventure Zone.
Although Travis is probably the least "funny" one in the show, but they're all pretty great.
>>
>>51152582
quick someone post that Gotham City map that just jersey flipped on its side
>>
>>51152744
Damn good points, man, yeah it's really bizarre the way he acts so smugly about everything and his "my way is the best way" attitude is grating.

Why did he have to attack members of the rpg YouTube community? How deficient do you have to be to do that?
>>
File: amurofeelsgood.jpg (69KB, 640x480px)
amurofeelsgood.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
>>51152927
>tfw our group routinely stacks so many conditions on a creature at once that the DM sometimes says "fuck it, this guy's out"
>fighting a giant
>surprise it
>slow it
>frighten it
>blind it
>disarm it
>scream at it psychically
>command it to fall
>giant goes into fucking shock and is removed from combat
>>
>>51153222
>not ending it by charming him
>>
>>51152744
>>51152913
>>51153115
Haha, you have no idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpl1QNdB37U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFaTCsZGS9k
His critiques of Acquisitions Incorporated and Critical Role basically boil down to these shows are bad because they're not serious roleplay business enough and it's not how he would run a game, therefore it's automatically bad. Only his way of running games is the correct and true way.
>>
>>51152653
>the players aren't even going to care about stuff you WANT them to care about
oh
oh man
that hurts
i put so much thought into this shit, into all of it.
im gonna have to cope with the fact that my players might just ignore chunks of it
>>
>>51150580
I have found the key to playing monk is to take the "Mobile" feat and use your extended movement and immunity to free strikes to dart in and out of combat and to try and make sure you end your turns behind your armored friends.
>>
>>51152397
I would use a save for an intelligent opposition (like 13+ Intelligence).
>>
>>51153260
>the focus of them is having fun
>this is badong
>>
>>51152830
>references
thats your key word there i think
as long as it make a player think of their own volition, "wow this is like [insert character here]!" with out you spelling it out, i think your good
>>
>>51153275
my DM set up an amazing plot hook for one of our players that made his character the central figure of the whole conflict going on (unbeknownst to him; it was going to be revealed several sessions later) and carefully crafted all these backstory clues and little hints in his equipment, a bizarre special ability, and NPC reactions

dude decided he wanted to play a different character entirely on the second session
kablooie
shit happens; it's better to be good at improv than planning
as far as campaign design goes, remember that players will be way more interested in themselves than the world, and you should wait to gauge the players' reaction to various parts of the world before you decide to play up or put more detail into that aspect of the campaign
you could write a rich and detailed history of the halfling country but no one gives a shit about halflings and they think every dwarf NPC they meet is the coolest shit ever and they wanna join the dwarven army and fight dragons or some shit so now you've gotta follow that
>>
>>51153308
Sounds like he surfs /tg/.
>>
>>51153308
>people shouldn't have fun roleplaying
>it has to be serious business all the time
>>
>>51153275
He's not wrong. In my experience it's best to have general ideas but not too much detail when it comes to your world.

Players don't give a shit most the time. But they like things to have some coherence. And dropping small bits of lore here and there they like.
>>
>>51153322
Well what if I play that characters theme? Is that too much?
>>
>>51152830
No but do a conversion, make it an inspiration. the secret boss not only exists to be massacred by your adventures after they catch the reference.
But a character that is part of the plot is a tribute to that character.
Dont do it like: "nanomachines son".
But: the senecal (who was a war veteran) has a demon heart that give his lot of legendaries saves, regen and str.
>>
>>51153308
People have different definitions of fun, like if you don't like how a player wants to play a homebrew class or background rather than just flat out denying him you can raise the DC on things he does and punish him hardcore for doing shit you don't like while still giving him a chance to push the game in an unexpected direction.
>>
>>51153343
It honestly wouldn't surprise me.
I know some people here have a similar personality. I usually just hope and pray those aren't the ones DMing, or they're the basement theorycraft trolls that never actually play the game.

Not that there's anything wrong with theorycrafting and shit.
That's mostly how I cope with being a forever DM. Making characters I'll never play.
>>
>>51150475
Hi Chris!
>>
>>51153397
Sure. It's just he seems to smugly imply that they're having fun in the wrong way. Or that fun and enjoyment shouldn't be the focus of an RPG.
>>
>>51153417
Does Perkins browse /tg/?
Is Chris Perkins gay?
He kinda acts gay. Am I the only one who thinks this?

H-hi Chris.
>>
>>51152830
>play video embedded in 4chan
>it's loud
>play video from YouTube directly
>it's quiet
>volume sliders on both are maxed
>volume indicator for speakers and browser in the Mixer are identical when playing
>still a clear volume difference
what the fuck
>>
>>51153426
Seems like he has a stream for people to watch him DM games right?
He kinda just seems jealous, to be honest.
>>
>>51153473
He's gay.
>>
>>51153496
Alright. Thought so. He must browse /tg/ then.
>>
>>51153426
Yeah, he's definitely saying this. He's saying they're playing in a way that they shouldn't be playing in because it's wrong and they should roleplay seriously all time and not crack jokes or look like they're having fun.
>>
>>51153473
>>51153496
How so?
>>
>>51153278
>tfw I'm the Monk AND the armored friend
I'm still taking Mobile next level. Half to offset the Dwarven speed penalty, but also because I want to be a cheeky git who who runs away from the enemy every round just so I can get into dim light and teleport over their fucking head for the helm splitter.

If I ever finish a round of combat without having backflipped off a wall, leapt out of a tree or some other form of cover, or dropped 30 feet out of the air to bonk something on the head, I've done something wrong.
>>
Does anyone else think the 5e stat blocks look aesthetic af?
>>
>>51153260
Now I remember this guy....thought it sounded familiar. You can tell just by these videos that he likes 'em, but he *wants* to be too cool for school and be like ehhh, they're alright.
>>
I dislike backstory plot hooks. Am I the only one?

I want to play Nobody Peasant from Nowhere Village. I don't want to deal with my parents being intricately involved in the plot or my character being the heir to some mystical power or whatever other bullshit.

I want to go get involved in other people's intrigue. I want to alter the fate of a kingdom by miring myself in the internal and external disputes, but I don't want to be grandfathered into them because my grandfather was literally someone important.

I don't like writing backstories or thinking about them. I wanna live out a fantasy where I have no strings attached and can go meddle in the plots and plans of the world around me.
>>
>>51153541
I don't know anon. Why are people gay? Some combination of genetic and environmental factors. I'm not exactly privy to his life.
>>
>>51153742
Chemtrails during the Reagan administration
>>
Just moved to 5e. What are some interesting multiclassing combos?
>>
>>51153742
Why are you saying he's gay?
>>
File: 29_Perkins_Bday.jpg (764KB, 1275x3307px) Image search: [Google]
29_Perkins_Bday.jpg
764KB, 1275x3307px
>>51153473
On the side note, WoTC posted this and I don't get the joke.
>>
>>51153796
The joke is that he was born on a leap day, so he's only technically had 12 birthdays.
>>
>>51153796
Born on a leap day?
>>
>>51152582
Bump on this, 1 hour left
>>
>>51153837
>>51153850
further proof that the harptos calendar is superior
>>
>>51153837
>>51153850

Right. Fuck, I'm dumb.
>>
>>51153371
>No but do a conversion, make it an inspiration. the secret boss not only exists to be massacred by your adventures after they catch the reference
Well yeah sometimes I might intend for them to run away if they attack him or have him be an ally
>>
File: Varazdat.jpg (49KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Varazdat.jpg
49KB, 600x400px
>>51150026
So a few /5eg/ threads ago there was a big to do about unarmed fighters.

How about this for a new Fighting Style?
Pugalist
>Unarmed attacks are now considered melee weapon attacks
>As a bonus action after an unarmed attack, add 1d4 bonus damage (bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing)

This allows unarmed strikes to trigger Weapons abilities (pairs well with Battlemaster, allowing a player to effectively develop a martial arts style).

Two minutia questions
>should a person be considered to always be "using/holding" a melee weapon with this Fighting Style?
>should the 1d4 damage be as a Bonus Action or automatically a given?
>>
Why the hate on monks? They're great in this edition as well as 4e.
>>
>>51153781
2 lvl dip in warlock and then anything else really.
Some things will have better synergy like a charisma character dipping into warlock, but any class can gain pretty good benifits.

Like 120 darkvision that ignores magical darkness, mage armor at will, a temporary hitpoint buff at will, detect magic at will etc aswell as some decent spells and a strong damage cantrip.

Hell if you're a charisma character you can get a 1d10+charisma mod cantrip with the right Invocation chosen from warlock.
One of my personal favourite synergies/multiclasses is a wood elf shadow monk with 2 levels in warlock.
Able to cast darkness on self that he can see through, disguise self at will, 60ft movement speed and can teleport from shadow to shadow due to monk, makes for a GREAT scouting type character.
>>
>>51154036
they are okay, but not great
>>
>>51154036
Giving them one more ASI and a d10 hit dice would make them go from meh, to great.
>>
What are some interesting druid concepts besides the stoner hippie?
>>
>>51154154
Yeah, was advocating for that as well m

Can Wizards make a revised UA monk.
>>
>>51154193
Amoral defender of nature, an embodiment of nature is red in tooth and claw.
>>
>>51154193
The demi-god guy from Moana is an example of a common yet interesting and flavorful archetype that you can play with a druid.

Island Kahuna.

Actually, basically look towards any religion that invokes animism in basically any way and you can pull from that.

Avatar the last airbender has some interesting ideas if you want to consider balance of the elements. Uncle Iroh is a kind of his wis character I've always wanted to play.
>>
How's the revised ranger?
>>
>>51153998
Unarmed strikes are already melee weapon attacks.
I don't think the extra damage should require a bonus action.
>>
>>51154193
Play it like a Lizardfolk, or make a nihilist/amoral druid, who does not understand why people care so much about morals, feelings and rules.

Other ideia is a primitivist who hates magic and wants to find and destroy magic items, or destroy undead.

Druid as the roman tales: virgins sacrifice, holy trees and plants

WoW shamans: defender of the elements and their respective planes

Chosen of the moon (shapeshift powers)
>>
>>51154154
They don't need more ASI, but d10 hit die and scaling up to d12 martial arts would go over well.
>>
>>51154154
just give them one extra attack at level 11
>>
>>51154306
The most common complaint is that they are more MAD than other classes. And thematically it makes sense for a class that is about perfecting body and mind would be as skillful as a rogue.
>>
>>51154291
But do they count as "using a weapon"? I read that according to RAW and errata that unarmed strikes are "melee weapon attacks" but do not count as "weapon attacks" for the purpose of triggering ability conditions.

And I agree in hindsight about the extra damage, it would nerf multi attacks.

Also, should it be
>additional 1d4 damage
>additional damage equal to Proficiency Bonus

Consider that this allows a bit of scaling with levels and that normal unarmed strikes are static damage amounts.

Would 1d4+Proficiency Bonus be too much? It puts it at the same level as a short sword which makes it viable as an actual combat option.
>>
Reached level 3 at the end of the last session and am thinking of going eldritch knight.

I took the mage adept feat at creation with light/sacred flame cantrips and shield of faith.

Our campaigns usually go until we cap out as the group consists of locals and some of our partners.

But this is my first campaign playing d&d since 3.5

Any suggestions on spell choices as i progress.

My thoughts so far are: [in order]
>shield
>thunderwave
>burning hands
>protection from evil and good
Level 2's
>Misty Step (not evo or abj)
>Shatter (replace burning hands)
>Darkness
>Arcane Lock
Level 3's
>Haste (not evo or abj)
>Counterspell
>Fireball
>Leomunds tiny hut
Level 4's
>Fireshield
>Black Tenticles (not evo or abj)

We have a pretty harsh DM. And most of us have died twice already
>>
>>51154378
So the common complaint is dumb. They don't need more ASI.
>>
Monks should get to use martial weapons, it doesn't make sense that they don't.
>>
>>51154448
It doesn't need to scale if we're talking about a fighter's fighting style. They get extra attacks. Longsword does 1d8+2 with its style, so unarmed strikes can get more than +2 damage but should still be less than the sword.
>>
File: Gnoll.jpg (215KB, 1280x816px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.jpg
215KB, 1280x816px
Heyo, making homebrew races here
what makes for a good totemic-shamanic tribe?
no taurens, something more barbarian-like, if you can
>>
>>51153796
>Like most Millenials, Chris Perkins joined Twitter when he was 11 years old.
That one got me.
>>
>>51154193
Eco-Terrorist
A criminal who uses ecological manipulation for a personal profit.
>>
>>51154568
Hobgoblins
>>
>>51154468
You won't want both thunderwave and burning hands. You get an any school level 1 spell too. Find Familiar is wizardly as fuck.
>>
Does 5e have the best monster stat blocks out of all of the editions?
>>
>>51154567
Very true. Since this is bonus damage an unarmed strike would be 1d4+1, a tiny bit more powerful than a club.

Stack with Tavern Brawler and now unarmed strikes are 2d4 (technically 1d4 Bludgeoning + 1d4 Choice) which would make the build really nice. But at the expense of feats/character options.

Any other tweaks needed? Would "if you have a free hand, you may do an unarmed attack as a bonus action" be too much? I know it probably is but just putting the idea forward.
>>
>>51154724
Which would you recommend then between thunderwave and burning hands. I feel thunderwaves push is more useful.

I must have missed that they can take any lvl 1 spell. In that case ill probably take disguise self or find familiar.
>>
Beginner here. My group has a paladin, a warlock and a bard. What should I make?
>>
>>51154922
The answer is always another Bard
Cleric, Wizard, Barb, or Fighter
>>
>>51154922
Cleric
>>
>>51154922
I had a group that played a paladin a bladelock and a college of swords bard. I played a bladesinger.

It was the most brotier campaign ever.
>>
>>51154922
Monk, Ranger (beastmaster preferably) or fighter (champion)
>>
>>51154922
Rogue or Fighter, depending on what type of adventure you're looking at.

You have a bunch of casters, get some damage or utility in there.
>>
>>51150299
A kobold Ranger hunting down the dragon that slayed his clan and the rival dragon that they served
>>
>>51154922
A ranger or rogue would mesh in quite well, even though the warlock can be pretty proficient at sneaking around, wouldn't be as good as the rogue.
And the ranger provides tracking and wilderness survival along with ranged capabilites.
>>
>>51153342
>you could write a rich and detailed history of the halfling country but no one gives a shit about halflings and they think every dwarf NPC they meet is the coolest shit ever and they wanna join the dwarven army and fight dragons or some shit so now you've gotta follow that
honestly THATS the reason im putting so much thought into all of it.
"hey why is the underdak so full of gangs organized crime and cults"
"oh that because the underdark began as a literal prison for criminals and upstarts in the old elven empire, they were gradually changed into drow/duregar/deep gnomes by the magics down there. so when it gradually became a country of its own they never really stopped being criminals. in addition Lolth was discovered by the drow down there, became their goddess, and organized cults around her that weaved themselves into the culture."
or
"wait whats the difference of Dragonborn and Half Dagons. Half dragons are literal crossbreeds with another species. just about any sentient can be a half dragon if they have that parentage. dragonborn are their own distinct race with /mysterious origins/. though Dragons as large consider both 'kin' though obviously half dragons more directly"
or
"woah how did that dude do that thing?"
"oh he has a dragon mark"
"if you do something that a dragon wants to give you one for"
"well lets find a dragon so i can do that!"
"then you should ask around!"

i detail so these details can easily provide explanation and easily support improv
>>
>>51153727
tell your DM, but be aware that other players like to be integrated into the world they are playing in.
>>
File: 1387713305322 (1).png (124KB, 373x344px) Image search: [Google]
1387713305322 (1).png
124KB, 373x344px
Why is Alchemists Fire so underwhelming?

1d4 damage and the fire can be put out by a 10dex check.

Wouldn't it having the properties like wildfire be infinitely more interesting?
>>
>>51155106
Because we can't be havin' non-casters using useful items now, son. That does at least waste a creature's action for a round, which can be more useful than the damage. It's all about finding creative ways to set people on fire that don't take YOUR action.
>>
>>51155106
Use it for more creative ways use it on Trees walls carts etc. Hell put it on your sword and swing at a guy. Your Dm will like you thinking outside the box.
>>
>>51150674

>Faggots worried about "being anime" are the reason we can't have shit like this

I bet you autistic fucks bust a blood vessel at the idea of launching yourself at your opponent with a bow as well.
>>
>>51152830
it's better if you play it as a joke and not as a serious thing. If there isn't some level of winking and nodding and instead you're taking your anime boss battle character seriously then it'd be enough to make me cringe.
>>
How is 5e in actual gameplay?
PF is fun creating a character but its gameplay is horseshit.
>>
>>51155106
Alchemist's Fire is actually a lot deadlier than real fire. You, shitty level 1 human commoner, can easily survive several rounds of being on fire, but your level 1 D&D Barbarian would be toast after just three (and burning to death during his death saving throws).
>>
File: 1367717332923.jpg (10KB, 208x208px) Image search: [Google]
1367717332923.jpg
10KB, 208x208px
>>51150179
No input on this from anyone?
>>
>>51154568
how bout gnolls?
>>
>>51154193
A worshiper of natural disasters who thinks surviving them makes you stronger.
>>
>>51154568
Goliath
>>
>>51155235
almost the same, a little better but not much
>>
File: 1371430260919.png (14KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
1371430260919.png
14KB, 203x209px
>>51150613
I've tried watching this guy multiple times before and he always seems to make a big deal out of nothing. I remember seeking out his videos for some sort of deeper analysis of 5e or D&D in general or ttrpgs overall, and instead I got

>"Us gamers need to stop doing this!"
>Oh shit, what's wrong?
>"We need to stop saying things like, "I'm dying," or, "I killed him," because outsiders without context don't know you're talking about your character and not the players, and that scares them away. Stop doing it!"
>...Let me try a different video.
>"Wizards of the Coast needs to FIX INSPIRATION!"
>Oh, okay, legitimate criticism about 5e. Let's hear it.
>"Inspiration and Bardic Inspiration are both types of inspiration that work differently and that confuses players ALL THE TIME!"
>M-maybe he has better videos...
>"Damage is stupid."
>"Armor is stupid."
>"Critical hits are stupid."
>"Alignments are stupid."
>>
>>51150179
If you want Fire Emblem, go Fire Emblem. Go for more specific equipment proficiencies and battle maneuvers to emulate the source material, but then let each player control a couple of troops. Fire Emblem's not made for three or four units per army.
>>
>>51155448
>"Alignments are stupid."
>"Armor is stupid."
Now he's gone too far.
>>
>>51150355
NPC Classes turned into NPC statblocks. They're still around, in a sense.
>>
>>51150475
He said good, anon.
>>
>>51155486
I know everyone hates alignments. I just didn't watch more than two or three of his videos and I noticed half of them are "[old mechanic everyone's used to] doesn't make sense/is bad," which is like the most rudimentary shit. How long did you play games before realizing that Hit Points don't actually make sense or that Armor is never actually realistic? If people cared, they'd play a different game.
>>
>>51155544
Do you hate fun? Are you Dawnforgedcast?
They're the very definition of good along with Critical Role.
>>
>>51155448
Did it strike you what he was saying was only his way was the correct way of doing things?
>>
>>51155573
People who hate alignment are actual faggots, though.
>>
>>51155588
Acquisitions Inc. is overproduced trash meant to get some giggles out of an overtired convention crowd.

DCA is just kind of alright.
>>
>>51150113
Rollplay with itmeJP.
>>
>>51150113
Vin Diesel's got a thing going.
>>
>>51155645
Yet Acq Inc was and has been instrumental in popularizing D&D and enticing people to give D&D a chance.
You sound like you hate fun and don't understand what good is. You can talk trash all you want.

DCA has moments of gold and those moments have been extremely consistent.
>>
File: unnamed.gif (871KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
871KB, 256x192px
First time player here. How do I make Kenshiro? Should I multiclass or is the Open Hand Monk enough?
>>
>>51155544
I think AI's funny. Or it used to be. Though, for someone who knows all the rules, it can be difficult to watch them play.

I like DCA, too, but the only really memorable funny moment for me was the debut of Morning Glory. A lot of episodes are pretty quiet and awkward. I also don't really get why Holly doesn't have a subclass. No one ever mentions it. A lot of the time it feels like their party is one God-Awesome Paladin, a poor Rogue contemplating his own existence, and two casters who may or may not do something to help.

I've found other streams/podcasts difficult to get into, besides CR, but I'm also just lazy.
>>
>>51155761
The most attacks can get comes from being a level 11+ fighter using Action Surge, but you can't do that all the time.

Monk is the way to do it if you want to do it constantly but not as strong,
>>
Do you guys ever write short documents (a few pages long) that you share with your players to expand on the lore? Just texts, extracts, articles from in-game writers talking about a particular topic in their world.
>>
>>51155820
I don't think AI is meant to showcase rules knowledgable players, just that D&D can be hella fun with a group of friends and that it shouldn't be taken seriously.
>>
>>51154496
Not an argument.
>>
>>51155761
Monk starts weak and gets stronger, so you won't start off as Kenshiro if you're at level 1. You'll get there though.
>>
>>51155856
I'm running a game based on archaeology, so I'm doing it a lot. I don't know if the players actually read any of it, but they seem to like it being there.
>>
>>51155235
Depends on the DM.
But in general it's pretty good.
>>
File: 1423223883337.jpg (455KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1423223883337.jpg
455KB, 3840x1080px
>Party of 6 running SKT, assaulting Giant Iceberg Stronghold deep in the frozen north
>Their ride is a ship that will meet them in X amount of hours to pick them up
>Party blows most of their spells and CDs on the first group of 3 Giants
>Exploring and walk into the wrong cave
>Get fucked up by a massive group of Yetis
>2 of the party flat dead
>Everyone else runs away with literally single digit HP and no spells whilst the Yetis feast on their downed comrades
>Party freaks out, keep very carefully exploring
>Find a Giant Owl and decide to release it from its cage
>Unbeknownst to them, this is the leaders pet Owl, and it flies straight back to him and his party of 50 Frost Giants who are now on their way back on their Frost Giant Warship
>Find the macguffin guarded by 2 more Giants and a Winter Wolf
>Whilst they ponder what to do, the dead Giants are found and the alarm goes off

Welp I don't want to TPK them, but I think they're out of options.
>>
>>51155820
The banter and roleplaying that DCA have going on has been pretty good, especially in the later episodes where they've found surer footing as a group.
It has periods of awkwardness because they're in Barovia and they're playing it as being somewhere else, two are cliquely and the others can be obnoxious or put out.

Their guests have also mostly been good.
>>
>>51155891
Well, yeah.

>>51155619
>Did it strike you what he was saying was only his way was the correct way of doing things?
Man, I've read this sentence and then looked back at my post like six times now and I still don't know what it is you're trying to say.

You are a fucking tool if you get inspiration and bardic inspiration confused. Yes, WotC could've given them more unique names. They didn't. ...That's honestly the end of that argument. And if you think there's a problem with a gamer saying, "I'm dead," when his character dies, then you need to euthanize yourself. These are the kind of complaints raised by someone who's simply looking for something to complain about. They're not thought-provoking. They're not even something I'd wish anyone to even hear. If I was playing a game and said, "Aren't you half dead," and someone responded, "Um, excuse me, my CHARACTER is half dead," I'd boot your ass back to tumblr.
>>
>>51155936
They'd have to stealth the shit out of the next sequence.
>>
>>51150437
Refluff whip as blade scarf.
>>
>>51151358
The adventure zone is by far the best podcast in my opinion, because it's presented in a way that really fits the podcast medium.

Other games/shows I find myself tuning out what's going on because all I'm hearing is numbers for too long.
They play more rules-light, but the narrative is good and being related to one another they all have great chemistry.

They will mess up rules a bit. But who fucking cares. It's usually for rule of cool, so I'm fine with it. Messing up rules that make the game less fun is what causes something to suck. This is the opposite of that.
>>
>>51155981
I will say I don't watch the Yogscast game, but Chris Trott fell into the role he was given seamlessly. Too bad he's dead.
>>
>>51155921
>I'm running a game based on archaeology
How so? Could you post something you've written?
>>
>>51155761
Open hand monk is fine.
You can literally お前はもう死んでいる someone later.

And at level 5 you can effectively make 4 attacks for a ki point. If your campaign goes long enough you can consider taking a 2 dip into fighter after you get the "save or die" ability from open hand for an action surge.
>>
>>51155988
I meant has Dawnforgedcast struck people as being the type of insufferable prick who'll say or imply that only his way of doing things is the only way of doing things.
>>
>>51156027
The adventurers are archaeologists who are exploring a lost kingdom that's been recently re-discovered. I wrote up a bunch of history and little worldbuilding stuff which sometimes has some foreshadowing or context hidden inside, but I just tell players when they need relevant info so they're not required to read any of it. I'd rather not post any here, sorry, but I'll say I never go past half a page for an article.
>>
If I wanted to play a dirty fighter, the kind of guy who reflects light off his sword or keeps a pocket full of sand at all times of the day, how would I go about that?
>>
File: pocketsand.gif (227KB, 466x322px) Image search: [Google]
pocketsand.gif
227KB, 466x322px
>>51156149
Play a bard and refluff your cutting words from lore bard college to doing the stuff you said when people try to hit you.

Also, make sure no one can understand you when you speak.
>>
>>51156149
Battle Master, refluff your battle maneuvers as dirty tricks.
>>
File: aidangillen_450x250.jpg (19KB, 450x250px) Image search: [Google]
aidangillen_450x250.jpg
19KB, 450x250px
>>51155994
Shame 2 of them have heavy armor.

I kinda want to tell them to just leave and come back in a few weeks with a better plan and a new party, they did absolutely 0 prep or reconnaissance and its blown up on them.
>>
>>51155012
>"oh that because the underdark began as a literal prison for criminals and upstarts in the old elven empire, they were gradually changed into drow/duregar/deep gnomes by the magics down there. so when it gradually became a country of its own they never really stopped being criminals. in addition Lolth was discovered by the drow down there, became their goddess, and organized cults around her that weaved themselves into the culture."

So Australia?
>>
>>51156191
I second this.
>>
>>51156117
No problem m8, that sounds great.
>>
>>51156193
Have you considered tailoring your game to the enjoyment of the group
>>
>>51155936
Was it just a string of terrible luck, or were they really that under-prepared?
>>
>>51156193
That sounds fair.
They were expecting a cakewalk, it got two of them murdered, and if they try again they'll prepare better, assuming they can even get into the castle with about 10 times more giants living in it, on guard.
>>
Hey /5eg/, I'm going to play D&D adventure league tonight. I have tried a level 2 character and I want to remake it.
There are like 2-3 encounters per sessions.
I hesitate between wild magic sorc1/diviner 1 with lucky feat, a druid lizardman and a GOOlock.
What should I take?
>>
>>51156368
As >>51156398 said, they just kinda bumbled in and expected to roll over everything. Its not like they hadn't fought giants before and seen how strong they were, they made a series of stupid decisions with the yetis that got some of them killed.

I want them to run all the Giant Strongholds in SKT, but obviously a lot more hand holding will be required.

>>51156345
Protecting people from their mistakes inhibits personal growth anon.
>>
>>51156486
That's exactly what you're doing to yourself.
>>
>>51156454
GOOlock
>>
>>51156193
Sounds like it's time to get naked.
>>
>>51156486
Just give them time, advise them on how to prepare, maybe have them meet up with some other unfortunates who once braved the stronghold in search of treasure, only to come away with empty hands and headstones to carve. Some old rogues the party could get some intel from, maybe even the location of a secret passage or two.
>>
Just wondering how does tg find the new kensei?
And what weapon would you guys pick? Cause I see people talking about using greatsword but wouldnt using a longsword be better since you still have a free hand to punch
>>
>>51150437
If nunchuks count as clubs, your scarf can be stated as paired knives.
>>
>>51156612
I haven't played it, but the kensei seems kind of underwhelming to the regular ole open hand monk...am i wrong?
>>
What are some interesting character archetypes for shy players?
>>
>>51156665
bard with stage-fright
>>
>>51156665
GoO warlock.

All they need to say is "I eldritch blast this person" in combat.
And out of combat if they ever want to speak up without fear of having to interact with an NPC for an extended period, just awaken mind what you're thinking to the party face.
>>
About how quickly should a medium level encounter be finished in real time?
>>
>>51156659
flavour wise I think it pretty cool because because now I can use any weapon as a dex weapon so i can go full wuxia now
>>
>>51156665
BFG
>>
Howdy /5eg/, playing a Warlock and soon approaching 12th level. I have to say, I'm not especially impressed by my upcoming Mystic Arcanum options. Should I be?

I'm considering taking 12th level for the ability score increase and my 6th invocation and then multiclassing. At this point, what makes a good multiclass option for an Archfey Tome Warlock?
>>
I hear people meme that Bard makes the best Archer in the game. How's that?

Also page 7, someone bake a new bread.
>>
So Blade Mastery feat is just default better then Defensive Duelist then? Power creep much?
>>
>>51150833
ModernFantasy is in UA, it's a 5e character.
>>
Would making a Dragonborn character's breath weapon recharge on a 8 (1d8) break anything? I'd like them to be able to use it more often but haven't actually given it much though about if it'd be balanced or not.
>>
>>51155448
So he's an overbearing retard?
>>
>>51156512
>seriously recommending one of the most boring caster classes in the system
Warlocks a shit.
A SHIT.
>>
>>51150833
That warlock is gonna start mowing things. (1d12+Cha+1d8)*number of E-blasts from one cast is like, 30 damage a turn at 5th.
>>
>>51156963
???
>>
>>51150179
>>51155314
In all honesty, 4e would fit Fire Emblem better. I would use that unless you absolutely have to have it 5e. In that case, start merging 4e and 5e together.
>>
File: tumblr_n2pzwz0ueV1rrkahjo1_250.gif (42KB, 245x194px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2pzwz0ueV1rrkahjo1_250.gif
42KB, 245x194px
>>51150880
>>
>>51156951
There's a reason UA is specifically called first drafts. They're almost never properly balanced.
>>
>>51157067
It was less "squad based strategy stuffs" and more of adapting the classes for a Fire Emblem based setting
>>
>>51151253
Go in, punch 1-4 guys depending on what's in range and how much ki you want to spend, ki to disengage as a bonus, use remaining extra move to escape.

Or just take mobility and mage slayer. Run past everybody punching them to prevent AoOs, then threaten the mage so he can't cast spells.
>>
>>51157131
Fire Emblem's classes are incredibly limited compared to D&D's broad archetypes. You're going to have to decide how your game plays overall (more like D&D or more like Fire Emblem) and then work from there.
>>
File: songbirds and lighthouses.jpg (688KB, 1200x752px) Image search: [Google]
songbirds and lighthouses.jpg
688KB, 1200x752px
one of my player doesnt enjoy combat.

she's a pretty decent person and she doesn't really complain in session, but when asked she clearly states she doesnt like it.

do you think there's a way to always design combat encounters so that she gets something else to do to help the party besides fighting?

i feel giving her a puzzle or something to complete while the other are trying to gain time is only going to pressure her, or worse, to make everyone feel like she's not playing the same game
>>
>>51156486
It sounds like this is a classic case of "DM has accidentally trained his players to play one way and then put them into a situation that demanded they play another"

Charging in blindly doesn't reflect the players being idiots, it reflects their DnD experience teaching them it's the correct approach
>>
>>51155936
>>51156193
Obviously the answer is to capture them.
>>
>>51157202
I think it may help to ask why she doesn't like it. Does she not like the elaborate rules for it? Does she not like violence? Does she not like waiting five minutes for a turn? Combat is a complicated thing, there's lots of pieces she could enjoy or find flaws in.
>>
File: 1416363735835.png (222KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1416363735835.png
222KB, 500x500px
>>51157181
It'd be more like DnD. That's why I was wondering if restricting class proficiencies based on your class in exchange for a bonus feat to help distinguish classes using the same archetype would help a little.

For example a Fighter and a Mercenary might both be Champions but they have different equipment proficiencies and receive a different bonus feat at some level I haven't picked yet depending on their promoted class. Does it seem too restrictive? It feels like the only way to adapt classes from FE without going and making a billion homebrew archetypes which would be more tedious than it's worth
>>
>>51157212
Yes, if they decide to stay and fight they will most likely be captured. They've already seen other slaves on the Iceberg, and the previous Frost Giants they killed threw nets on them and talked about escaping slaves.
>>
>>51157131
>>51157181
This then.

What you could do, is identify which professions can act as base classes and have the rest of the professions be specializations. That would be the most 5e way to go about it.
>>
>>51157284
actually now that I think about it, it would also be a bit like 4e's Paragon paths. Fire Emblem does the whole profession tree right? I think that's where you should start. Somewhere between 4e and 5e's class specialization systems.
>>
>>51157094
Do they ever make a second draft?
>>
File: leatherpleather.png (67KB, 245x197px) Image search: [Google]
leatherpleather.png
67KB, 245x197px
First time DM here, ideally how many pages of hooks should I write for a module to plan for the unexpected? I'm doing the "lost mines" and I've already written a page of hooks for just the first goblin encounter, I need to get this ready by January 15th, am I overdoing it or?
>>
What do you folks do to make your Player Character's interesting? I find myself losing interest in my characters after a couple levels.

Need some recommendations.
>>
>>51157326
Write a backstory.
>>
>>51151503
Minor illusion and silent image can go concurrent. It doesn't have to be silent. You just also need a cantrip.
>>
>>51157326
Personality
>>
>>51157320
Rarely, but yes.
>>
Question about a magical item.

I have a bow that allows me to cast extra spells.

If the bow itself get a +1 to attack and damage rolls, is it plausible that I can also add the +1 to any wisdom saving throws an opponent needs to make to counter the effects of the spell?
>>
>>51156512
Why specifically the GOOlock over the mage or the druid? As there is few encounters per sessions, a wizard can keep up the rythm quite easily.
>>51157011
Why the GOOlock is boring? Because of Eldritch Blast? I was thinking about messing with peoples with the GOOlock abilities (yell in this guard's head while hidden, alterself into the race of the enemy and Deception, etc...)
>>
>>51157402
No.
>>
>>51152220
You forgot Reaction. Feather fall, shield, and hellish rebuke are all reaction cast times.
>>
>>51157284
>>51157308
It has base classes and promoted classes. While in most game this is a one way deal, some games feature base classes that can promote into two different promoted classes

What I was thinking is that your overall 5e class would be your base class, then your choice of archetype combined with your bonus feat would help shape you into a promoted class

For example, a Champion fighter with Tough might represent one promoted class while a Champion with Lucky or GWM might represent another

Does that kind of clarify it? I'm bad at explaining this idea
>>
>>51156212
yeah basically but with more spiders and squid people.
>>
>>51156890
Variant human, take sharpshooter
Valor bard for long bow
Level 10, use your magical secrets to take swift quiver and banishing smite

Even dip 1 level in fighter for a nice bonus to hit with your longbow.
Want to action surge? Take another level in fighter.
>>
>>51157324
>am I overdoing it

Probably. Most of the time people prepare more hooks than they need.

Normally what I do is I prepare a map, have the players start reasonably far away, at Session 1, from anything that is worth interacting with that isn't the starting town. Then I have them decide what they want to do, and I prepare a "module" for getting to any of the things on the map. "Random Encounters" for overland movement. I use these encounters to describe how the world works. And then when they get to the point of interest, i leave it on a cliffhanger for the night, and have them level up.

This is basically the same kind of thing, but I don't know if the DM is responsible for Hooks. Provide a "setting" and information about the world and let the players decide what their characters want to pursue.

>>51157350
Got it
>>51157364
Got it

So besides Backstory and Personality, what do you guys recommend for keeping yourself interested and invested in your characters?
>>
>>51153222
>it has disadvantage
>>
>>51157461
>more spiders than australia
>chinese aren't squid people

doubt
>>
>>51153275
Have you ever played a single session, dm or player? You seem to want to be a novelist instead.
>>
>>51157481
A plot in the overall story have a enemy you have to track down a goal?
>>
>>51157402
Nope, that's a different thing.
>>
>DM a session
>it goes really well
>players keep mentioning how excited they are for next game

feels good
>>
>>51157524
That's actually pretty helpful. I think you made me realize my character's dont have a strong central motivation. Thanks.
>>
>>51157536
GG man
>>
>>51157412
>Why the GOOlock is boring?
Because like any warlock you only have two spellslots until level 11, which hurts you unless your DM is really generous on short rests.
It's a shit mechanic. Warlock is pretty much the only class that has to depend on this. I really love the flavour of the class, but it's just so shit to actually play. Pacts are supposed to be a huge thing, but even druid or paladin subclasses give more variety in terms of abilities and playstyle than different patrons. I really hope the Warlock UA shakes things up a little bit, but I refuse to set my hopes high.
>>
>>51157553
I really like the Invocations, I find them much more the meat of the class than the spell slots.
>>
>>51157553
I'd advocate for more warlock invocations that allow more "at will" abilities based upon your patron.

OR don't even make them be based on your patron, but some more at will things.

Also they need to make it so spamming eldritch blast isn't the only thing a warlock is good for in combat.
>>
File: 1329178030523.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1329178030523.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
>>51153275
No one cares about your rich world, no one wants to read your wiki, people barely want to read your onepage primer.

You're probably not a good writer.

The best option is to just obliquely refer to this knowledge through world events and NPC actions.

Even playing in the Sword Coast, the most popular setting, with heaps of average books, I assume all of my players know fuck all about the world.
>>
>>51157424
>>51157530
Okay. Do you know of any additional modifiers I'm supposed to add to something like that?

My spell save DC is 8 + spell ability mod + proficiency. Is there anything else I'm missing?
>>
>>51157586
Unfortunately anon kind of speaks the truth.
But if you really enjoy writing this stuff, don't let that stop you. Keep fleshing out the world as much as you want. And consider writing a novel with it if you think it's good enough.

But don't force it too much on your players if they don't seem interested. I learned very quickly players don't care so much unless it directly influences them or the central story.
>>
>>51157548
Yeah try to have a character are when you finish a campaign I want my character to come out different whether that's for better or worst.
>>
>>51157586
>>51157606
In the last campaign, I gave the players a 1-minute info dump about a particular topic before every session, and allowed them to ask questions. Usually the whole thing would take 2 minutes, and we'd be off, and they'd probably forget everything, but players do show interest if you don't expect them to read a novel before the game.
>>
File: C1vHUjlUsAEYelp.jpg (34KB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
C1vHUjlUsAEYelp.jpg
34KB, 390x400px
Welp lads just spent a day writing hooks for a premade adventure to change it up a bit and learned two of my 5 have played it before, can someone link me to a good premade adventure for a beginner DM that is non-linear so I can use hooks to branch off of it and create a pool of NPCs to reuse if I don't use them in the campaign?
>>
>>51157595
No. That's the rule.

There are some magic items that can raise it I believe. They will specifically say so if they do.

Let me guess, you're kind of low level and surprised that no one ever fails their saves? Happens. Or your DM is an asshole and fudges rolls.
>>
>>51157623
Why not Curse of Strahd? Unless that is the one you can't do.
>>
>>51157493
im actually not super sure what to do with mind flayers.
i kind of want them to have their own little corner of the underdark, gathered near their fallen ship, people generally dont mess with or approach it, treating it like a beasts den but every now and then people vanish and the Mindflayer swell.
i think i want them to be refugees from a destroyed dimension (which links to another bit of lore) and attempting to grab a foothold of their own in the underdark.
meybe even put them in the undersea. not super sure what to do with the Gith though. former slaves that the illithid brought with them probably
>>
>>51157595
Assuming the bow is merely letting you cast spells it'll probably act like a wand. The same DC you would always have, the same restrictions on spell casting.

It still costs a full action/bonus to cast a spell, you still have a restriction on multiple spells per turn. Bonus/cantrip.

The bonus of a wand/item like that is that it does not use a spell slot.
>>
>>51157639
One of those two is actually DMing Curse of Strahd right now.
>>
>>51157595
That's appropriate for spell saving throws. Not a lot raise your spellcasting ability, but a whole lot of stuff can cripple your foes' ability to make those Saving Throws.
>>
>>51157620
Sure, depends on the group. I was making a generalization.

And what you say is probably also generally true. Players are more interested if they don't have to read.

I have one player that refuses to read anything unless I basically force him.
>>
>>51151171
It's not just clothes.
Wizards need free movement to cast many of their spells, and preferrably less armour getting in their way and confusing them, so they need a bit of extra training so they can move properly.
And then, I suppose clerics and other casters require less fine work with their bodies and aren't bookworms who study all day, so they learn it.

>>51151203
Eh, well, they only have to wear a breastplate. They don't use a shield or heavy armour because they still have to reach around and throw stuff, or something like that.
Honestly, in a more realistic game EVERYBODY would be wearing armour, probably. Unless monsters practically ignore armour.
>>
>>51157636
No, I'm not low level. I'm making an extra cheat sheet for my rolls and I wanted to know if I was missing anything.

You'd be amazed how often I forget to add my dex mod to the damage I deal.

>>51157657
>>51157662
Thanks for the info. Anything in particular come to mind in regards to things that cripple my opponents ability to make a saving throw?
>>
>>51157514
ive been trying to DM
ive done exactly one session and two of my three players (my brother and two of his friends) fucked off. we had made character and then i had given them their first hook with a few different threads to go after.
it went well but they flaked
and to be honest i do like to write, and DMing seems like a good creative activity to do with that.
im also not sure how to get more players aside from my brother
>>
>>51157678
>You'd be amazed how often I forget to add my dex mod to the damage I deal.

You'd be surprised at how much doesn't surprise me.
Players never read the fucking book.

Also those of us with autism eventually become DMs and we're the ones who read the books.
>>
>>51157575
Except most just copy wizard/sorc spells (with few being at-wills), there are very few that are actually unique. There's nothing interesting about them, nothing a qualified wizard or sorcerer or cleric could not do. Bladelock sucks and any other kind of warlock (except maybe the undying light one with firebolt) has to waste one of their invocations known on agonizing blast. And thats pretty much the only thing the class has going for it: a glorified laser cannon that can shit out a couple of spells every once in a while.
I wish warlock was just completely replaced by binders, but alas I guess pact magic was too complicated for newer players to grasp. RIP Goetian magick.
>>51157584
>Also they need to make it so spamming eldritch blast isn't the only thing a warlock is good for in combat.
Fucking preach.
>>
>>51157553
It's a caster that plays like a martial. Plus it practically oozes plothooks for the dm to use.
I love it. Favorite class by far.
>>
>>51157705
Oh don't get me wrong, I read the book like a hawk. Its just that sometimes my eyes skip over things without me wanting them to, or in the heat of the moment I'll forget because I get too excited.
>>
>>51157678
>cripple my opponents ability to make a saving throw?

Conditions. Anything that gives disadvantage on saving throws. Since most spells are dex saving throws, stun works well, if you have a monk they can stun most things.
>>
New thread lads >>51157735
>>
>>51157678
Bards and Clerics are amazing at imposing disadvantage or debuffs to enemy rolls, Fighters aren't bad at it either. This is a case where teamwork really shines.
>>
>>51157698
You have any local gaming shops or are you in college?
Look for interested players there. You'd honestly be surprised at how many people are interested in playing but never have the chance to.

I'm a forever DM and would die to have a DM as dedicated to worldbuilding as you seem to be. Simply because it shows you care.

People that DM for me have always been ass. Either never preparing, or trying to prepare but railroading us so hard because they can't improve for shit.
>>
>>51157698
Does your brother even want to or is he just family obligated?

Look kid, I heavily suggest watching some tutorials about dming to really help you out. You've got some grandiose misconceptions about what the role optimally entails, and if players are flaking, it kinda makes me suspect there might be more problems where those came from.
>>
>>51157709
Most all their spells are just forms of damage or stuff to keep them alive, with occasional spots for espionage utility and debuffs mostly just good for holding people in place.
>>
>>51157586
ill be honest, a lot o it is for me. my own entertainment and piece of mind.
i fully expect my players to not interact with a fraction of the lore and world, im struggling to think why this campaign should even leave the borders of the "main" European-esqe continent. but if they do its there, if they have questions i have answers. and if i do another campaign i have a whole world to work with.
>>
>>51157813
i started BECAUSE my brother wanted to play, his last DM made the game unfun and flaked constantly and kept bringing in friends to play and them having them leave for him to play them and clutter the game.
so i went to do it but apparently his friends had moved on to other games and were mostly in it for my brother.
he really would like to play and id like to DM
>>51157784
thank and there is a game shop around here, my brother got me dice from there to thank me, but looking it up it seems to be a mostly Magic place, they have meet ups and tourney almost constantly.
why you live anywhere near cape coral?
>>
>>51155898
Just wanted to revisit this to say indeed, there is no argument. No argument was presented, so no counter-argument was offered.
Thread posts: 429
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.