[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General - Enough Memes Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 47

File: only_superb_raisins.png (4MB, 1665x2048px) Image search: [Google]
only_superb_raisins.png
4MB, 1665x2048px
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, free RPGs, a vast Trove of treasure!
http://pastebin.com/0pQPRLfM

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
https://discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread:
>>51127588

So tell us about the best dungeons, locations, npcs or any other content you came up with yourself.
>>
>>51156539
Please consider submitting to the /OSRG/ fanzine.
>>
>>51156861

I ALREADY SENT YOU SOMETHING YOU PRICK STOP ASKING AND POST IT ALREADY REEEEEE
>>
What's OSR's favorite way to spice up a low level dungeon crawl?
>>
>>51156959

Weird enemies?

Monsters too high level for the party in compromising places, making them a potentially fair challenge?

Lots of monster and creature factions (Gnolls vs Goblins vs Kobold vs Orcs vs Drow)?

Lots of weak and situation but occasionally useful magic or interesting items? (single match that can be lit once even if wet, mirror that lets you see around corners)?

Item that lets you get a taste of high level power (ie; potion that grants you +5 character levels for 3 exploration turns, then fades)?

Just listing ideas.
>>
>>51156861
Was the stuff in issue 1 "the best of our submissions" or "all that we have"? Because issue 1 is kinda shit m8 and I'd hate to have my name included with those guys.
>>
Reposting this list of music for DMs from the last thread.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pdDGPnttFb5X2WuDHR8fbk_xLM0i50q3nnWQYdCHmAE/edit?usp=sharing

>>51152255
>the fuck kind of selection is this
Well I don't actually play any music when I run games myself. It would need someone who does to really give it a boost.
>>
>>51156539
>So tell us about the best dungeons, locations, npcs or any other content you came up with yourself.
That's what my blog is for, silly.
>>
>>51156959
Monsterless (or near monsterless) dungeon(s).
>>
File: awkward doe coming down stairs.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
awkward doe coming down stairs.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>51156539
>So tell us about the best dungeons, locations, npcs or any other content you came up with yourself.

I'd hate to brag, but I produce all of my content myself and have been posting it ITT for a long time. I also really enjoy the thanks and positive feedback I get, makes me all warm and tingly!

I really enjoy the atmosphere and creative energy that flows so freely when working with OSR.
>>
>>51157084
>my name

So submit anonymously. You can't be tarnished by association when nobody knows it's you.
>>
>>51157492
>You can't be tarnished by association when nobody knows it's you.

But I'll know it's me.
>>
File: bloodmummystomb2.jpg (81KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
bloodmummystomb2.jpg
81KB, 600x500px
>>51156959
>What's OSR's favorite way to spice up a low level dungeon crawl?
Factions.

Traps that can be avoided, and secret areas that can be found, by clever mapping

Dead parties of schmucks, or just single bodies, marking one or two really nasty things. Works best if the corpses have been gnawed upon.

A remnant of a party or a prisoner or two, with a class level and an agenda. When someone dies, you can do one of two things: 1) hand off the prisoner to them when the party reaches them, and give them the agenda card. Character gets bonus EXP to new character for role-playing well.
2) If the party hasn't reached the prisoner location yet, and the player finishes rolling up one, either replace the prisoner or have the new character be there as well (with their equipment in the same place as the prisoner's).

At least one atmospheric, cool-ass room. could be a crystal-encrusted wall like in "Journey to the Center of the Earth (1958)", or the Mushroom Forest and Room of Pools in B1.

Tarps that deprive the party of something other than HP/characters. Sleeping gas, paralytic poison, incredibly irritating noise that drives away wandering monsters with ears, but gives you a -2 to all rolls while it's going off, a zone that spoils or contaminates food or oil, that sort of thing.

At least one bear or other big, mean, dumb critter that's just hungry or in pain, rather than a "monster" per se. Slimes and oozes also fit in this category rather nicely, depending on your tastes. Something that's not safe to engage, but that you can avoid or mollify for a bit by sacrificing resources.
>>
>>51157834

And you can be happy that yours is the best contribution, and you showed all those suckers how it's done.

This is all assuming that your contributions' worth actually matches your ego
>>
>>51156938
There's not enough content to do anything with it yet.

>>51157084
I'm pretty sure it had to do with only a small amount of content being submitted.
>>
Has anyone played Tales of the Space Princess? Is it any good? I'm looking at the rules and it looks pretty fun
>>
>>51157449
>I really enjoy the atmosphere and creative energy that flows so freely when working with OSR.
Man, this is EXACTLY why I want to get back into running OSR stuff. I love brainstorming cool shit to stock my dungeons and wilderness hexes.

I'm currently tossing around a little old-school D&D homebrew project and hoping I can get some players sufficiently interested to try it out, but I'm sad to admit that I've never had the chance to seriously run OD&D or any of its retroclones. The closest I've come to OSR was a heavily modified Pathfinder campaign :'(.
>>
>>51157834
>>51157991
Yeah, guy. Show us your cool stuff! I wanna see!
>>
>>51158335
>>51157991
Alright, here: http://www.smileylich.com/dnd/collective/
>>
Since it seems like this thread is kind of dead, I'll post my big project.

50 Classes. None of them are balanced at all, I'd imagine. Don't even assume so. Hope you enjoy it.
>>
Should I put magical railroads in my OSR game for a Wild West feel?
>>
>>51158995
sounds like a good idea to me
>>
>>51158355
kinda disgusting
>>
File: Class Pyramid 1.png (3MB, 3154x2493px) Image search: [Google]
Class Pyramid 1.png
3MB, 3154x2493px
>>51158935
neat, always a fan of new class concepts(still want to make a game someday that uses the entirety of this image's idea)
>>
>>51158935
I don't care if it's not balance, the fact you made them so simple and short is amazing, I might evn use this someday
>>
Rolled 6 (1d50)

>>51158935
Wow, name level Sticks to Snakes Men are really, really good.
>>
Rolled 28 (1d50)

>>51158935
>>
>>51158935
Sacrifice is real fucking neato, I may steal that concept.
>>
>>51158935
TEN (10) out a' 10.
>>
File: Wizard clipart.jpg (24KB, 299x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wizard clipart.jpg
24KB, 299x400px
>>51159124

That's actually what I was basing it off of originally, but I decided to go with my own thing. Honestly that triangle is still a tempting project but 50 classes was fucking hard, much less 100 with very similar roles.

I mean really how are you supposed to even differentiate a Thief and Highwayman? You gotta do Wizard/Sorc/Warlock/Witch AND a shit ton of others too? Good lord
>>
>>51159484
I'll admit one thing I was going to do to make it easier was to have at least a third of them end up as Racial Classes(maybe even half or 2/3rds or possibly even 3/4 of them if I include enough races), so you'd have an Elvish Arcane Archer, or a Kobold Trap-Master, to give a couple examples
>>
>>51158935
Are you the same guy who does all of the 50 random whatever lists? And are they all somewhere easily accessible?
>>
>>51157084
this

>>51158053
>I'm pretty sure it had to do with only a small amount of content being submitted.
that's no excuse. just make it 4 pages if you have to, better than low standards.
>>
>>51159878

Fuck you, I thought it was fine and I'd rather have a decent zine than let random assholes shit on everything that's not up to their standards until there's nothing left.
If you want better content, submit it.
>>
File: 9sxHPBx.gif (992KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
9sxHPBx.gif
992KB, 250x250px
>During your adventures, you will have the chance
to find or purchase larger shells.
>>
>>51159938
>fine
>decent

A telling choice of words.
>>
>>51159938
Nothing good ever comes out of your attitude. Inclusivity, democracy, etc. are antithetical to good art. This isn't reddit, I'm not going to lie to protect your feelings just because I want to 'support the community'.
>>
>>51160022

Was it all fantastic? Not really, but even if it was, I'd expect somebody to shit on it anyway. There's no point listening to random assholes like you, you guys are a dime a dozen and you never accomplish anything worthwhile.
>>
Hey guys, I have a question. Should I keep on fleshing out the worldbuilding and lore of the entire setting for consistency's sake, or should I finish up the other parts later and use the stuff I have now for planning sessions and quests?
>>
>>51160089
You know, I was actually thinking of contributing but your attitude is a major turn-off.
>>
>>51160261 The less you do beyond bare minimum, the less you'll have to redo down the line.
>>
>>51160261
Just worry about what you need immediately.
>>
>>51160286

SURE you were.
>>
>>51159801

>Are the guy who
yes.
>Are they all somewhere
Working on it.
>>
>>51160334
If you could pull your head out of your cunt for just a moment...
>>
>>51160371

So you were just thinking about contributing, but then I said "hey, cut that out, don't shit on the people who contributed" and now you don't want to do it anymore, huh? That sounds like normal human behavior.
>>
File: F8VuQ.gif (1MB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
F8VuQ.gif
1MB, 499x281px
>>51160407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4
>>
>>51160407
I'm >>51160286 and not >>51160371

Yes, I was actually considering contributing because your constant begging tugged at my heartstrings.

Then I read issue 1 and saw the garbage in it. Then I posted >>51157084

Now I see that you, the guy BEGGING every thread for content, have literally no quality standards and you're oversensitive.

So I don't want to be associated with your shitty contributors, with you, or your zine.

Now go beg for content somewhere else.
>>
>>51160089
>you guys are a dime a dozen and you never accomplish anything worthwhile.
kind of like your garbage zine. step down
>>
>>51160491

I'm not the zine guy, I'm just sick of idiots who just shit all over everything other people do.
And if you're that first guy, then maybe they don't need your contributions, because if that webpage is your idea of quality, then you're a massive sperg with no taste and no self awareness.
>>
Is if recommended to use a hexmap for ACKS or can I just used a standard square grid?
>>
>>51160613

For overland? A hex is better for irregular terrain, but you I think could use a square grid if you really wanted.
>>
>>51160554
>he fell for the webpage ruse

wew

>I'm not the zine guy, I'm just sick of idiots who just shit all over everything other people do.

I see now, you're one of the contributors who's assblasted about being called out. Which article did you right? The one with the edgy apes who shit down people's throats? Or maybe the one with the elfaboo troll? C'mon, spill the beans.
>>
>>51160666
>Which article did you right?

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51158355
I fucking love this guy. His SFB stuff is offline because ADB are idiots, but it's on archive.org, and it's equally nonsensical bullshit that he has fun with.
>>
>>51158355
>big list of copied tables
Yeah, you're right it's awful and you shouldn't submit anything.
>>
File: 409.jpg (60KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
409.jpg
60KB, 600x620px
>>51160769
>Lefting an article.
gj
>>
>>51160666

>fell for the webpage ruse

So yeah, you haven't even created that crap, you're just an all-around useless piece of shit. I guess that's not surprising.

No, I haven't contributed anything to TrollGods. I do have a couple of projects I may share with /tg/ soon, but being reminded that whatever you do, some idiot's going to shit all over it is discouraging.
/tg/ used to be proof that you could have anonymity and the honesty that came with it without everyone being assholes all the time, but that seems like it was a long time ago now. It's no wonder people are leaving.
>>
File: undead.hulk-sheet.png (306KB, 934x1210px) Image search: [Google]
undead.hulk-sheet.png
306KB, 934x1210px
Lomion can't hang with these skills.
>>
File: Battle Cock.jpg (888KB, 1202x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Battle Cock.jpg
888KB, 1202x1600px
I hunger for more 50 things or encounter requests.
>>
File: 1440120252069-0.jpg (313KB, 800x815px) Image search: [Google]
1440120252069-0.jpg
313KB, 800x815px
>>51161192
Mystical, Magical, Mad Peddlers of The Most Strange Wares.
>>
>>51159801
>>51160362
Many are currently in the Trove under "_Inbox" > "Encounter Anon".
>>
What's with all the assholes in /osr/ lately? Or is it just one big asshole? Because /osr/ used to be a pretty chill place.
>>
File: Fighter vs forest monster.jpg (901KB, 1000x637px) Image search: [Google]
Fighter vs forest monster.jpg
901KB, 1000x637px
>>51161434

Why are you giving them attention?
>>
>>51161192
Mountain pass encounters
50 strange insect hives
>>
File: Melungeon Witches.png (2MB, 580x1684px) Image search: [Google]
Melungeon Witches.png
2MB, 580x1684px
>>51161192
50 Witch covens/cults
>>
>>51161192
Seemingly useless magic items.
>>
>>51161434
No clue. It is seeming more aggressive lately. Unfortunate really.
>>
>>51158935
Edgelord is fantastic, so are others. Ten out of frigging 10.
>>
>>51158935
The Dragonborn (44) is the coolest Dragonborn I've seen. Those Hoard retirements would get so high so quickly, I don't even think it's too strong/overpowered.
>>
File: tumblr_og1cswt3sk1tkk036o1_400.jpg (71KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_og1cswt3sk1tkk036o1_400.jpg
71KB, 337x500px
>>51161577
Not the D50 guy, but I worked up some. Sample -

9: Sorority of the Sightless Tower
Sign: Each woman has cataracts which grow and wane with the moon
Coven Spell: Howl of the Moon
Gather below-ground, in an excavated, ancient broch. They fear war, secretly arming the peasantry

10: Bejeweled Nocturnal Investiture
Sign: Members of the coven may not cover their hair or faces.
Coven Spell: Animated Artwork
The witch-artistes of the Investiture craft stunning works of art and bestow them upon their faithful. They have a network of spies, and witch-hunters find themselves too often on the wrong end of an auto-de-fe.

11: Interrogatrixes of the Cherubic Square
Sign: Must sleep facing to the West.
Coven Spell: Contact Outer Spheres (Fomalhaut)
Consider wizardry a corruption of the true order of magic. They seek to poison the Winds of Chaos and topple a powerful Wizard's cabal.
Now if only they could stop getting possessed...
>>
File: worldofthelostdisplay.jpg (69KB, 506x724px) Image search: [Google]
worldofthelostdisplay.jpg
69KB, 506x724px
Going to run World of the Lost (LotFP) for my group soon. Any crazy things I can add to the game (twists, allies, enemies, equipment, etc) to make the game fun and memorable? I'm starting in Plymouth, England and then moving the party to Khirima so things from England and Africa are cool.
>>
>>51156539

Right now my PCs are chasing a fugitive Necromancer who escaped into the tomb of a 100 year old king, the necromancer brought everything in there back to life to slow down the players too. The tomb itself is decent sized, about two floors with symetrical rooms, the story of the tomb is this king was also burried with his best soldiers/generals and his family and all their heirlooms.
>>
>>51156539
How silly would it be to play a character who's a refugee from 1970's Earth? I don't want to have a gun or anything; he'll probably have been living in the fantasy world for a while now and have nothing from home except a faded T-shirt with a band on it. If need be I can waste a language on "English" and a nonweapon proficiency on "modern stuff."
>>
>>51158935
Your PDFs are dope, man. Glad we have someone who consistently contributes high-quality content to these threads.
>>
>>51157983
I hate wandering critters because for some reason reaction check always makes them insane.

It is not that fun to fight rats and grasshoppers that feel no fear or remorse and cannot be stopped unless killed (and sometimes now even then).
>>
>>51163779
That's cool, so long as he got transported to the fantasy world by a roller coaster.
>>
>>51161192
Environmental hazards (or just strange & interesting environmental quirks for a dungeon).
>>
>>51161099
>>51161434
>muh feelings

If you want a hugbox, go to dragonsfoot.
>>
>>51165293
They way you act shows how new you are to these threads. Kindly fuck off.
>>
>>51161577
oh hey, it's goya
>>
>>51165317
If you make something that's shit I'll call it shit.
If you make something that's boring I'll call it boring.
If you make something that's good I'll call it good.

If this offends you then you should consider leaving 4chan and going to a non-anonymous forum where politeness is an enforced rule.

I come to /osr/ for the creativity and the brutal honesty. Elsewhere people will pussyfoot around by saying "well, it doesn't suit my personal tastes" or "YMMV", here there can and should be brutally honest discussions without fear of repercussions. This is the only no-holds-barred OSR arena and it should remain that way.
>>
>>51165735
The difference is that you shouldn't just say "it's shit", you're supposed to give your reasoning too. The first case just tells that some anon doesn't like a thing, the second leads to discussion. Overt hostility is a /v/ thing, /tg/ is traditionally been more about saying "yes, and" or "no, but".
>>
>>51165293
>>51165735
So just one big asshole then?
>>
>>51165952
Apparently. Let's keep these threads mellow, ignore him.
>>
Are there any "weird" takes on the Cleric class that would fit into the Islands of the Purple-Haunted Putresence? It is a gonzo/fantasy setting where magic corrupts.

I could see one of the elder gods or such easily corrupting or tricking a cleric, but I am notsure how to make it mechanically interesting/different.
>>
>>51163779
I for my part am extremely onboard with every kind of stranded earth-person, despite running a pretty normal medieval-fantasy game ATM.

Thinking of doing a planetary-fantasy/Algol type game with LBB OD&D and that would have Earth Men as a distinct type, although probably not a class or anything mechanical, OD&D being what it is.
>>
>>51161192
Seconding this >>51161281 and/or a separate table for 50 Strange Wares. Would be extremely good for goblin markets, the various shops in the CSIO and similar. I can't get enough of kooky-but-not-game-breaking items.
>>
When the fuck is the DCC lankhmar box set kickstarter happening
>>
>>51162836
Pretty cool.
>>
>>51166428
>Islands of the Purple-Haunted Putresence
Is this good?
>>
>>51161434
Please elaborate. What do you mean by 'asshole'?
>>
>>51165871
>you're supposed to give your reasoning too.
Not him but that's what always happens in this general. Criticism is constructive, but some people can't take even constructive criticism.
>>
File: My_Dm_is_blind.png (345KB, 1633x629px) Image search: [Google]
My_Dm_is_blind.png
345KB, 1633x629px
>>51156959
High level enemies who can be bargained with or escaped.

Save or die traps, sprung by a previous expedition, which have likely reset.

1000 orcs

An unknown potion, labeled "do not drink."

If they drink, roll a d8. 1-6 gain one point in a stat, 7-8 turned into a toad.

A gong which, when struck, drives some monsters away and attracts others.

15d6 silver pieces. Its an illusion: THey're actually gold.

A giant frog covered in slime which makes it invisible, but whipes off when struck.

A giant living statue of a demon, surrounded in flames. THe statue can't leave its base.

a dragon egg.
>>
>>51158355
>700 differant class names
>>
>>51161434
We got more popular, whcih means people on here are coming to take, not to give.

Same thing happened with weekend lewd threads awhile back. Started for a place for people to shitpost about like interests, ended as a place where everything was dumb.

Osr won't die, but these threads might for a while. Go find some blogs to read, they tend to last longer.
>>
Ideas for temporal anomalies for a random space-time anomaly table?
ideally they shouldn't be too deadly because basically I'll be rolling for these every few exploration turns.

I'm making a dungeon where a wizard tried to fuck with the time and energy spheres to gain absolute power.
I have a few obvious ones:

>the party meets themselves from the past/future
>gravity inverts
>party finds themselves slowed/hasted
>>
>>51168584
>that's what always happens in this general

Which is why the guy up thread stands out.
>>
>>51168868
>Gravity

a flat patch of ground that feels like you're climbing a hill. Hard to walk toward the center, easy to walk away. If you put soomething down in the center, it will roll towards the edge.

A black hole that's actually just a harmless floating black marble.

equally frequent effects that age you 1 years and make you younger 1 year (so people stay roughly the same age)

octopi which stop time, impregnate all female characters, then speed up time so 9 months instantly pass and they give birth to more octopusses

triangular room,m whose two far walls have a door that connectts to each other.

wall that's only there 50% of the time. Catch: roll 50% seperately for each character, so some might pass through it and some might not.
(Check again every time they look away.)

Ancient demon, trapped in a glass crystal. Catch: He's only ancient in your timeline. Here, he's only 6 weeks old. aww... lookit da cute liddle demon.

Cats with 1 too many legs that have a 1/6 chance of acting twice in a rwo, stopping time for their second action.

Dream syrup that leads to halucinations which are prophetic. Catch: they stop being prophetic as soon as you attempt to act on them.
>>
Has Blood in the Chocolate ever been released to the troves? It looks like it might be relevant to my interests and not ONLY for fetish reasons.
>>
>>51168851
>Osr won't die, but these threads might for a while. Go find some blogs to read, they tend to last longer.
I prefer a two-pronged solution of "not replying to shitposters" and "making good shit", personally.
>>
>>51168470
I think so. It's heavy on the pulp and gonzo elements. It reminds me of something Clark Ashton Smith would have created had he been an acid head.

One optional rule in the book is that a player ray reroll creation if they have low stats, but must choose two "Darker Secrets," which are rather defining character traits.
>>
>>51161192
50 racial classes gogogogo
>>
>>51170321
I second this
>>
>>51169013
>that spoiler
If you are Dobson, I am obliged to ask you to get out. I hate to be a dick in this thread but there's a rule.
>>
>>51172169
Who's Dobson?
>>
Has anyone attempted to take Basic, or really any of the older D&D games and just reorganize them? I don't mean a separate system that is "basically" or "practically" the same game, but literally cut/paste information only found in the book so it's closer to other relevant information? For example, weapon prices, weights, and damages are all on different pages.
>>
>>51172285
If you don't know, never find out.
>>
>>51172866
Its called a DM Screen and I am rather certain that we all do it.
>>
>>51170321
Suggest 50 racial classes
>>
>>51169190
Pretty much this.

>>51162836
here.
I have to leave for Seattle in about half an hour to visit family, but here's a D30 table of Witches' Covens.

I generated it using liberal interpretation of my "Wizardly Schools" generator on Last gasp Grimoire and a few rolls in Orphone (Ch.6, Optional: Political Landscape, and Ch.9 Sec.4: People not its Subjects). The spells are loosely chosen by looking at the adjectives and rummaging through the LotFP spell lists or making something up that sounds cool.

Zineguy - fell free to throw these in if you want.
>>
>>51173553
Always wanted a class for the panzerbears from His Dark Materials. Is being an armored viking polar bear with a flamethrower really too much to ask?
>>
>>51173639
>Is being an armored viking polar bear with a flamethrower really too much to ask?

Absolutely not! In fact, it's a problem that you are not playing one RIGHT NOW!
>>
>>51173639
>armored viking polar bear with a flamethrower
What is His Dark Materials and why haven't I watched it
>>
>>51173731
It's Atheism: the fantasy novel. On the whole I think the worldbuilding is kinda lacking, but it has some cool stuff in there.
>>
>>51173584
>my "Wizardly Schools" generator on Last gasp Grimoire
O fuck, are you the Last Gasp guy? I promise I won't tell anybody
>>
>>51173639
>Is being an armored viking polar bear with a flamethrower really too much to ask?
In an OSR game, yes.
>>
>>51174597
Oh God, not this again
>>
>>51174637
Just ignore him
>>
Alright /osrg/, I've (>>51166452) started to work up some ideas for an OD&D planetary game and could use some input. Especially, would it make sense to split the M-U into one half that combines with the cleric to make a Sorceror that makes pacts with strange astral gods, and one half that forms the basis of a more tech/blasting-oriented Inventor/Gadgeteer class? Or do you think it would be better to use a tech/magic fusion where Magic-Users have an affinity for technological items?

(I figure the Lawful gods would be basically Buddhist beings of light and the Chaotics Lovecraftian, but I may go full CoC and just have Lawful Clerics be those who subvert the power of the fucked up unfathomable gods to ends that serve Mankind)

Some other stuff I could use suggestions on: should Fighting-Men be allowed use of rayguns even if they basically replicate wands? Theme says yes to me but it seems like robbing the M-U niche. Should I use Thieves/Assassins/Monks, whether out of the supplements or adapted? I like these for flavor but I don't know how I feel about them mechanically really.
>>
>>51173639

You could probably build something based off the Werebear class kit in Basic's PC4: Night Howlers. Pic related.

Also, for our amusementally-challenged friend, here's a list showing all the crazy classes TSR allowed you to be in Basic D&D over the years:
http://pandius.com/becmicls.html
>>
>>51174864
Am I the only one who hastes two decimal hitdice? All classes should cap at 9 imo
>>
>>51175089
probably, that's a kinda weird pet peeve
like, hitpoint bloat is bad and all, but makes sense that a bear has more hp then a man
>>
>>51175089
I'm interested, do you have a rules/math reason for that or do you just don't like how it looks?
>>
>>51175089
Uh, it's definitely autism, but I share the same autism. Double-digit numbers of HD just isn't How It Works, right?
>>
>>51174864
>http://pandius.com/becmicls.html
>Wise Woman
>Midwife
top kek
>>
>>51175332

A witch, and a Cleric of a Mystaran mother goddess, respectively. But yeah, "I'm a level 5 Midwife" sounds pretty damn funny.
>>
File: meatwad.png (47KB, 250x253px) Image search: [Google]
meatwad.png
47KB, 250x253px
>>51175303

>no double digit hit dice

But wat about dargons?
>>
>>51175089
Yeah, I don't like it either.
>>
>>51175089
meh
to me, any levels beyond level 5 are pointless because no campaign has ever reached that point anyway
which is why I find the whole "lower max level to balance OP start" completely useless
>>
>>51175696
>no campaign has ever reached that point anyway

Back in the day it happened quite a bit. Games were longer, and parties were larger, though.
>>
>>51175089
>All classes should cap at 9 imo
An odd number where the average number of hit points is always something-point-five? 10dX is clearly preferable in my book.
>>
>>51174567
Nope, just part of the seventh order of the random generator. Logan's a pretty cool guy though, you can hit him up on his site or through g+ and b.s. about games.
>>
>>51175696
Bullshit. I've had a campaign hit 23 legitimately, although we were playing every other week for three years. Had another couple that got into the 6-8 range, and one that got into the teens. It's possible, you just need to play more than once a month.
>>
>>51175332
>>51175404
That's nothing to the autism of Paul Jaquays' woman classes in The Dungeoneer.
>>
Has anyone tried moving away from drawing dungeons on grid paper and done it freehand/with a straight-edge? I experiment some with that today and it's been pretty successful so far. I've found it pretty liberating, though I dunno if I'm gonna completely abandon grid paper, since it's what I'm used to.

Pic related, a pretty simple but expandable dungeon I'm working on for a first-level adventure with my new group.
>>
>>51175996

And what would these be now? I don't remember any such classes in Dungeoneer, though I'll admit my memory's a bit foggy..
>>
I always do them pretty rough, not like the players are gonna see them. They're just for my reference, so I never bother with grids. If the specific dimensions of a room are somehow important, i'll make a note.
>>
File: baby flail.jpg (168KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
baby flail.jpg
168KB, 600x800px
>>51175996
That's not entirely surprising, given the whole Janelle thing...
>>
>>51176106
Welp, I don't know if The Dungeoneer is in the trove, but I happen to have a print copy of the Dungeoneer Compendium right here, so let's have a look.

>Those Lovely Ladies, by Paul Jaquays
Alright, we're off to a great start already.

>STRENGTH
Oh boy.
>A woman may have up to 18 strength, but never naturally, beyond the first catagory.
I don't know what the fuck that's supposed to mean. However, Paul goes on to explain that women of 17-18 Strength lose one/both the bonus Cha points they get for being women. Fantastic.

Int, Wis and Dex are unchanged, Con changed only insofar as women get "+1 against adverse weather"(?).

>CHARISMA
Ooooooh fuck, here we go. I'd better just copy this one down in full.
>There are really no two ways about it, most women have a slightly higher charisma as far as men are concerned. To adjust for this, +2 is added to the charisma score of female characters. This bonus gives them a range of 5-20 on their charisma scores. This bonus is in effect ONLY when they are dealing with male creatures. Females will use the unmodified score against other females. Elven women receive an additional +1. Charisma penalties for strength have been dealt with under strength. A warning to female characters should be made, though: a lot of those monsters in the dungeon have been down there a loonnng time, so be wary if you still want your unicorn to associate with you! The more charisma you have, the better the target you become.
Yes, it really says that. NEXT: The three woman classes! Oh boy.
>>
>>51176357
Jesus fuck.
>>
>>51176386

Yeah, it's bad, but keep in mind that this is back in the era of Random Harlot tables.
>>
>>51176546
I know, I know, it's just that seeing a "hey, female PCs, you might just get raped!" line thrown in like that is still a trip.
>>
>>51176357
>FEMALE CLERICS
>Subclass: Daughters of Delphi
Okay, they're "limited to female members" and have "the ability of prophecy".

>Female Clerics and the Daughters of Delphi may wear up to chainmail and shield for protection and may be able to use any non-edged weapon along with slings.
I don't know about you guys, but this reads to me as if he means to restrict *all* female clerics from wearing plate.

To be a Daughter, you need Wis 14+, Con 14+, and Int 9+; that's actually pretty hard in OD&D, I think. But the first requirement is:
>One must A) be female [whether by birth or by change]
I'm sure in 1976 or whenever, that read as a comment on cursed belts.

Delphics start out pretty much identical to regular Clerics except their fighting capacity starts at "Man -1", to be compared with normal Clerics (and M-Us) who start at Man. Nice one, Paul! The other kinda noteworthy thing is their level 2 title is Vestal Virgin. Anyway, on level 3 they get prophetic power (over and above the regular Cleric spell progression, I should say). There are two basic kinds, a Commune-type and seeing the past/future, each usable once per day and subject to a bunch of fiddly percentiles, you know how this works.

He also gives *all* female clerics including the Daughters +1 to healing spells every four levels. Oh yeah, and:

>EVIL FEMALE CLERICS
>Initiate, Cult Virgin, Black Oracle, Black Prophetess, Overseer, Evil Priestess, Unholy Woman, Evil High Priestess, and Queen of Darkness are the names of the levels.
This makes me giggle in an unseemly way.

I can't count my characters because I'm dumb, so next post: Valkyries!

>>51176602
Not only that, but "the hotter you are, the bigger the risk!" Yikes.
>>
File: 1452061720545.jpg (661KB, 734x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1452061720545.jpg
661KB, 734x1008px
>>51163423
Bumping with this, though for weird and warped monsters I'm going to use the Random Esoteric Creature Generator. Still would like some other nifty ideas though if you fellow anons would be so kind.
>>
>>51176668
I ain't gonna front, those are some wicked level names for the evil female clerics. Shame about the rest.
>>
Man, Yoon-Suin is so cool, but its maps are shit.
>>
>>51176668
>VALKYRIES
>This is more of a Full classification, rather than just a subclass. It is just modified to fit women.
Oh, great, so it's meant to *replace* the Fighting-Man for women. Shit gets weird here, because (as you probably expect by now) they start out with 1 HD and fight as a Man instead of Man+1, so they're comparatively shit on level 1. They also advance in fighting ability and HD more slowly than a *regular Cleric*. But what, what's this?! Paul has snuck in a little trick! Valkyries advance in level significantly faster than Fighting-Men, and actually overtake the Cleric's advancement speed after just a couple levels, so even though the level table *looks* bad, in practice the Valkyrie will just be ahead of everyone and better for that reason. I honestly can't figure out what to think of this. Maybe he was just shit at math? Either way,
>Upon reaching the level of Amazon (6th level) a lawful, good Maiden (in the strictest sense of the word) may seek out a unicorn as a mount and it will serve her willingly until it is either killed or the maiden status is no more.
Sigh. Anyway, any 10th level Valkyrie can also get a pegasus for a mount. That might seem OP on paper, but the truth is that in OD&D of this period any successful fighter would probably have subdued some crazy shit to ride on by now, so meh.

Next and last episode: Female Magic-Users! They're called Circeans, so gird your loins and assholes.

>>51176706
I like Black Oracle and Black Prophetess, and the EHP variation is pretty much a given, even just looking at the bese game, but the rest are stupid IMO. Unholy Woman?

>>51176744
Yeah, they're tragic levels of garbo, agreed. Nigh-on useless.
>>
>>51176357
>There are really no two ways about it, most women have a slightly higher charisma as far as men are concerned.
I realize this is hardly the worst thing in there, but this seems to be a relatively prevalent belief, and it's bunk. Charisma is primarily about leadership, and people--men and women alike--tend to pay women less heed in this area. Maybe this wouldn't be the case in a society that has not historically had the same sort of differentiation of gender roles as ours has (with plenty of female warriors and whatnot), and I don't see the point in needlessly penalizing women, but the logical effect of giving women a +2 bonus to charisma is to have there be a lot more women than men in positions of authority. And unless you're doing something unusual, that's probably not what you're looking for.

Tl;dr: men being sexually attracted to women doesn't make women natural leaders.
>>
File: Carl.jpg (12KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
Carl.jpg
12KB, 320x220px
>>51176826
>Maybe he was just shit at math?

Yeah, women usually are.
>>
>>51176853
Yeah, I was gonna point that out myself in the post, but I forgot because the "hang on to your pants, because monsters will try to rape your unicorn away!" kinda floored me even though I knew it was there. Everything Charisma actually does in the game is about military leadership and intimidating the piss out of monsters; to the extent there's a sex difference there it doesn't skew in favor of women.
>>
>>51176668
>Initiate, Cult Virgin, Black Oracle, Black Prophetess, Overseer, Evil Priestess, Unholy Woman, Evil High Priestess, and Queen of Darkness are the names of the levels.

I feel like you could just read off the titles of the songs in my music collection for these...
https://youtu.be/J8moax_85j8
https://youtu.be/ei5u7G8oMlg
https://youtu.be/oanlmxS5HlM
https://youtu.be/to9eEeOnNK8
https://youtu.be/9pzvqunZlLc
https://youtu.be/PiTJU_AX-Ig
https://youtu.be/pAuPMJlK92s
https://youtu.be/0Q-yKrwYkEU
https://youtu.be/aSQwI3rDETk
https://youtu.be/S5P63qGTm_g
>>
>>51176826
>CIRCEANS
>Prime Requisites: Intelligence 15, Charisma 16 (16 Charisma may not progress beyond the 5th level)
Right, did you get that? You can't play this subclass, and even if you somehow manage, you'll probably have the advancement potential of a hobbit. Or wait, does he mean for us to apply the Charisma bonus for being a woman here? Either way, true to form the Circean has a worse fighting capacity than the standard M-U, although her HD progression is identical, but stark contrast to the Valkyrie she also has a massively slowed XP progression rate! This is because besides level-matched M-U casting the Circeans are larded down with extra powers:

>Firstly, she can charm by merely speaking.
Great, how super not stereotypical. But at least i--
>It only works against male humans.
FFFFFFFFFFFFF--
It's actually not that good, though, because as written you can use it only once per level of the character. I think he probably meant once per day or adventure per level, but that's not what it says, so I can only speculate. Either way, the ability has a 10% chance per level to succeed, minus 5% per level of the victim.

>The second ability is that of formulating non-magical potions.
Jaquays is very careful to stress that the potions are non-magical, I guess because he doesn't want their effects to be dispellable. Still, despite being very confusingly described, this isn't that bad a system and has some neat wrinkles. It's not at all as bad as I remembered it being, the only annoyance is the inevitable love potion. He does consistently spell insanity as "insantity" for some reason, but, eh.

Anyway, that's it. I remembered the Circeans as being worse, but then again I remembered the Valkyries as being less bad.
>>
>>51176357
>>51176668
>>51176826
>>51177241

I'll just leave this here...
>>
>>51177241
>"insantity"
His mind was on other things.
>>
>>51177286
Yyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaah.
Yes.
Okay.
>>
>>51177286
Eh, it's not THAT bad. At least it doesn't devolve into /pol/-tier garbage.
>>
>>51163423
Integrade the Wonders & Wickedness spells/magic items. They fit perfectly. I've also spiced up the map with modded dungeons and even did a bizarre transfer to a Death Frost Doom run. Replaced the Necromancer lady with the BBEG from DFD as the one raising the undead.
>>
Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy versions of demihumans, go. I need some inspiration.

So far my Halflings are a coastal/seafaring people who live on a city of moored ships, docks and rafts. They have Waterworld gills.
The Dwarven hub is a Bullet Town/The Pitt industrial city. They repair machines and craft guns and ammo. This city keeps slaves and runs a train.
The Elves are basically back-to-nature types who inherently distrust any technology. Live in a massive treehouse village.
The Sullied are mutants who live in a lightly irradiated zone. They keep getting kidnapped as slaves.

Orcs? Gnomes? Tengu? Faerie?

Magic exists only in item form, specifically shards of something that fell from the sky and exploded. Each use blackens the rock/shard/thing with veins a little more until it is useless.

I need some more ideas to spice things up. I'm going for a Wizards meets Mad Max by way of China Mieville kinda vibe.
>>
>>51178437
Orcs are vat-grown supersoldiers from the last war. An unspoiled orc production facility is a rare prize, as it guarantees at least a company of hard-bitten, malleable troops. Thus, orcs tend to take on the character of those who find them first.

Gnomes are a secretive scientist clade, an artificial breed of humanoid created as a means for some of the rich and mighty to survive the apocalypse - they would have transferred their minds into these bodies rather than risking cryiostasis. Perhaps behind their funny faces lurk the originators of the catastrophe.

Tengu are never found in more than one 'wing' of one to five individuals. They roam the land and sell their services as scouts, infiltrators and sometimes assassins, but - aside from their hefty requirements in glint - they must be told the true reasons for their mission, which they write down for their own purposes. They don't use this information for their own benefit, which hasn't stopped some warlords from attempting to backstab a wing of tengu after they do their dirty work. 'Attempt' is the key word.

Faeries are the remains of assistant holodrones for the civilian populace of the world that was. They follow corrupted programs and common sense applies little when dealing with them, but they hold codes and passkeys to datavaults and bunkers of the ancient era.
>>
>>51176073
No because D&D's dungeon exploration rules need the map to be preferably in a grid of 10 feet squares to work as intended and I'm not going to just handwave the most crucial part of the game.
>>
>>51163423
This is so cool. Just downloaded it out of the Trove and it seems amazing.

Since I just started reading myself. Is there anything you plan on adding already?
>>
>>51178849
Not him, but I've been running it for about 3 months now and it is THE SHIT. All the gonzo I love.
>>
>>51178849
There is mention of the two major tribes in and around Khirima who worship different faiths and how it is a hub of activity with foreigners too (Europeans, Arabs and apparently some folks from India and China if I remember right). So I was thinking that there might be some people proselytizing that could lead to a mini-religious war.

On the plateau I'm adding a few minor dungeons (only one full and proper one, the rest are more like delves that some dangerous monsters dwell in) and bringing more monsters from African lore in as well and using the Random Esoteric Creature Generator for some more fucked up anomalies in and around the region.

Also fuck random city generation, I'm going to make that shit properly for Khirima.
>>
File: MODOK.jpg (92KB, 515x680px) Image search: [Google]
MODOK.jpg
92KB, 515x680px
>Read "The Grizzly Graveyard of Grimgortha"

>There aren't any bears involved
>>
>>51178903
And that is why I am so eager to run it. My group has done basically nothing but 3.P, 4e and 5e (a little of 2e, but meh). Need to get my gonzo on!
>>
>>51173639
Hill Cantons has a class for panzerbjorn, but they're obsessed with and eventually gain a class feature to create unique custom gygaxian polearms, not flamethrowers.
>>
>>51176386
She was *really* repressed and self-loathing back then.
>>
>>51178437
Why do they all have a city?
>>
>>51176357
>women get "+1 against adverse weather"(?).
wat

bitches always complaining about the cold
>>
>>51179591
Well, there's one 'main' city that encompasses everyone. A big mix. The rest have their domains/cities/towns, which ya know, due to the post-apoc aspect tends to be built around something else. People gravitate towards similar people sometimes was the idea. Mostly it was to provide drastically different areas while hexcrawling.
>>
>>51178437
with Dwarves I say highlight the connection with maggots that the Norse version have, so they're kinda gross(and can sometimes undergo a metamorphosis into giant draconic Fly beasts, although most who do go insane and/or lose most of their intelligence)

Orcs are like >>51178583 suggests originally a type of vat grown supersoldiers, Orcs tend to be a mixture of men and beast in appearance(most commonly pigs, but almost any mammal is possible, indeed one well known group of Orc pirates is composed almost entirely of Orcs that are part Killer Whale or Dolphin), Orcs can interbreed with most known races, and indeed can breed true with themselves(when vat-grown about 1 out of every 20 Orcs is female, when bred naturally the ratio is closer to 1 out of 5), and range in height from 4' at the low end, to around 8' at the high end(since Orcs never fully stop growing it's rumored that some particularly old Orcs might reach 10' or even higher)

Gnomes are basically a form of organic robot, fully capable of self-reproduction, almost all Gnomes have some form of psychic ability, most often used to create illusions(and gives them an innate knack for using the Magic Shards when they find them)

Tengu are descended from a pre-cataclysm attempt at uplifting Ravens to full sapience, at the time of the apocalypse they were about as smart as an 8 year old child, in the generations since they've become as smart as any human(indeed since almost all Tengu have photographic memories they are in some ways smarter or at least more reliable with their smarts), most Tengu resemble modern day Ravens, except a lot bigger(there's two major breeds, one that are about the size of a Turkey that can still fly, and one that are about the size of an Emu that can no longer fly, but have redeveloped their wings into functioning hands)

Faerie is actually a term for a specific pre-cataclysm line of self-reproducing robots, they range in size and shape from doll-like sprites to giant Spriggans
>>
>>51179961
>>51178583

I like you guys.
>>
>>51179683
I don't know; bitches be wearing miniskirts in subzero weather.
>>
Does anyone know of any fantasy/medieval settings that feature something similar to hacking or cyberspace but in a NON-modern setting, or at least a setting with few to no guns?

I'm thinking specifically the "jack-in" type of hacking where your mind is transferred to this wacky CYBER DIMENSION and shit. Think Shadowrun, and Blame! for a more biotech take on it.

I'm thinking about building a setting kinda like that, that mixes medieval tech with some cyber/biopunk elements, so any sources of inspiration are welcome.
>>
>>51180158
None come to mind, but if you do find/make one, I'd love to see it.
>>
>>51180190

Just found one: Cryptomancer. It's a bit different from what I'm talking about: it has a "magical hacking" system. Still, pretty interesting.
>>
>>51180253
link?
>>
>>51180110
Don't diss ZR in snow, it's cute.
>>51180158
There's Cryptomancer, which is, well,
>[Cryptomancer] is a game that providess avenues for players to play fantasy characters who attack and defend the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information systems that support kingdoms and factions. However, instead of adopting a “hacking as combat versus technology” abstraction that so many modern role-playing games adopt, Cryptomancer provides an unglamorous and unapologetic take on information security. This game’s rules and setting are informed by real-life information security principles, such as encryption and network defense, as well as intelligence community concepts, such as tradecraft and link analysis, all of which are presented in a context that makes sense for a high-fantasy setting rife with conflict and intrigue.

tl;dr D&D by infosec dorks.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/binarydoubts/cryptomancer/
>>
>>51180262
>This game’s rules and setting are informed by real-life information security principles, such as encryption and network defense, as well as intelligence community concepts

Nothing makes hacking boring as fuck quicker than going for real life examples.
>>
>>51180294
It doesn't just dumps a lot of info about cryptography, though.
The book just goes through basics, like symmetric & asymmetric encryption.
>>
>>51180362
>Yawn
>>
>>51180362
Look man, there's a reason Uplink and Hacknet are obscure video games.
>>
>>51180294
>At its most basic, cryptomancy encrypts a clear-text message into cipher-text using a keyphrase, a string of actual (i.e. not made up) words from the human, dwarven, or elven languages. That cipher-text can then only be read as clear-text by those who know the keyphrase. Encryption itself is simple: an actor raises a hand towards an instance of clear-text, concentrates, and utters aloud a keyphrase. When this happens, the clear-text magically jumbles into nonsensical symbols.
>Decryption is even easier: the cipher-text automatically transforms into clear-text in the eyes of anyone who knows the keyphrase used to encrypt it. There is no “act” of decryption: it’s instantaneous. In fact, one doesn’t even need to know that a specific keyphrase was used; so long as one has heard, read, or uttered the keyphrase, in its entirety, sometime during her lifetime, she will mentally decrypt the message. In the decrypter’s mind, she will see the keyphrase emerge from the jumble of nonsense in the form of magical runes, right before the message transforms into clear-text. That way, she will know what keyphrase was used to encrypt the message, and can share it with others if she is so inclined.
>Any literate sentient being can perform cryptomancy at any time, but few are actually good at it. This is primarily because of the challenges of choosing the right keyphrase and protecting a keyphrase from unintended audiences.
I dunno, seems simple enough.
>>
>>51180371
>>51180406
Ok. Let me explain that stuff.
>Symmetric
>You have an encrypted phrase that can be read by ANYONE with the same keyword it was encrypted with

>Asymmetric
>You have an encrypted phrase that can be read by ANYONE with the right keyword

That's literally it. The book doesn't go beyond that.
Most of the stuff in the book explains how those two works in a fantasy environment, like using True Names and even a fucking soul as a keyword.
Or vampires that steal your soul password just to have an identity.
>>
>>51180430
>don't have to do anything to decrypt data
>don't even have to know that you know the password
Who designed this garbage encryption magic?
>>
>>51180362

They took real world hacking a put a fantasy skin on it. That's kinda boring.

What I'm picturing is almost the opposite of that. I'm talking a realistic medieval setting with crazy-bonkers cyberspace mechanics.

Picture a Quake-esque Techno-Medieval fortress. The PCs go in, axe in one hand, plasma-shotgun in the other, blasting all them CybOrks to giblets, but find their progress halted by a maglocked force-gate. Now one of them, specialized in jacking into the CYBEREALM, takes a cable connected to his temple and plugs it into a terminal next to the gate. His mind is now inside a kind of ethereal data dimension and he has to quickly get through the intrusion counter-measures and find the power node that will unlock the door while his comrades hold off the wave of undead laser knights marching down the corridor.
>>
>>51180502
So, Shadowrun in a medieval setting?
>>
>>51180502
>I'm talking a realistic medieval setting with crazy-bonkers cyberspace mechanics.
Sooooo... Warhammer Forty Cakes?
>>
>>51180496
That's why you don't use garbage passwords like "gay elf"
>>
File: orgautha.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
orgautha.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51172866
Who would ever dream of cutting, pasting, and formatting old D&D information in order to conform to Proper Standards?
>>
>>51180496
The password can literally be your fucking soul.
>>
File: 1451729278469.png (2MB, 824x900px) Image search: [Google]
1451729278469.png
2MB, 824x900px
>>51180512

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Lower magic level, though, if any magic at all.

>>51180525

Not really. 40k is way too modern and high-tech, and I don't remember it having cyberspace hacking, just regular hacking.

I'm thinking something more in line with Quake, really. Gothic aesthetics mixed with cyberpunk. Very 90s, ya know?
>>
>>51180502
That's Kung Fury levels of awesome. Which can go both ways.
>>
>>51180591
I mentioned 40K mostly because if the medieval part.
I don't even think that setting even has a concept of hacking. Or, at least Imperium.
>>
>>51180406
>Uplink
That's literally movie hacking in a game form, though.
And it's not obscure. Just old & outdated.
>>
>>51180627

It has, kinda. Like, the tech-priest can hack computers for encrypted data, open locked doors, security cameras, etc. But it's really just a single-test kind of thing, and it's mostly hardware jury-rigging than actual hacking.
>>
File: undead.hulk.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
undead.hulk.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51180550
>>
>>51180699
But isn't it just a religious ritual to them?
Like that thing when you ceremonially put oil on the gears and the god almighty makes you machine work properly.
>>
What are some good classes for Sci-Fi osr?
>>
>>51180767

I forgot to clarify; I meant Tech-Priest acolytes in Dark Heresy. And yeah, they definitely treat it as a kind of miracle-thing rather than hacking.
>>
>>51180810
Soldier
Scout
Scientist
Corsair
Psion
>>
>>51180591
>I'm thinking something more in line with Quake, really. Gothic aesthetics mixed with cyberpunk. Very 90s, ya know?
man I've been wanting something like that for a long time now, maybe mix in some Doom/Doom 2 and some Heretic/Hexen stuff as well
>>
>>51180946
>and some Heretic/Hexen stuff as well

Ah, fuck yes, SON. That's what I'm talking about. 90s id games are my kind of aesthetics.
>>
>>51180810
>Psion
>Genetic Brute
>Mad Scientist
>Space Brute
>>
>>51180986
Not Space Brute, meant to say Space Pirate...
>>
>>51180986
Fighting-Man (or however you'll call it)
Thief/Specialist
Scientist/Technician (some wizard equivalent in case you don't want magic)

Anything beyond that is kinda dependent on where you're going with your sci-fi, since it's such a broad genre. White Star, for example, gives you soldiers, pilots, aristocrats, mystic knights, robots, mystical aliens and warrior aliens (to represent, accordingly, either Spock/Yoda/Zhaan types or Chewbacca/Worf/D'argo ones).
>>
>>51173691
How would you stat them, then?
>>
>>51181893
I really wouldn't. If you want to be faithful to the books, panserbjorn are very overpowered compared to PC classes. Unless you want a whole party of them (which I'll admit sounds pretty neat), I don't think there's a good way of integrating them in the game.
>>
>>51181968
Created a separate thread for this here: >>51182078
>>
>>51181968
>If you want to be faithful to the books, panserbjorn are very overpowered compared to PC classes.
So are balrogs if you just look at the fully formed ones as the starting level.

Obviously what you do is have them start as cubs/striplings and advance to full Panzerbear power at an appropriate pace. Doesn't seem too hard, either; a bear's 5 HD, right? And plate's plate; if you can have it right from the start as a human, why not as a bearbro? So suppose the armored bear advances as a fighter in all things, but gets speech, a bear's claw/claw/bite and maybe d10 HD (I'm assuming Basic here, so the fighter has d8), but no ability to use weapons or tools, including magical items except those made expressly (bear armor, enchanted claw-caps, I dunno) and those which can be adapted for it to wear (scarabs and such shouldn't reasonably be an issue, seems to me).

A level 1 yearling might have d4/d4/d6 damage (still a high average yield per round compared to a regular fighter, I think, but the Elf is a worse case of frontloading already so fuckit) and advance to say d8/d8/d10 as a ninth-level Bearlord.

Seriously, these things are not hard in Basic (or in OD&D). Just bash out something rudimentarily acceptable and then adapt on the fly if it's too good or too shit.
>>
>>51182146
(I haven't actually read the books, I just find the idea metal as fuck): the idea of starting as a cub is pretty good to start. From reading the wikipedia entry on them, a few notes:

+ Panserbjorn (the singular is apparently "panserbjorne", implying they speak Danish) have opposable thumbs and can stand on their hind legs to use their hands, though they move on all-fours which seems to imply this is more convenient to them.
+ "Despite their large digits and immense strength they have remarkable dexterity. This, together with an innate gift for metallurgy, makes them exceptional metalsmiths, and they are capable of creating and repairing metal items far beyond the capabilities of human smiths." This seems to imply that they have dwarf tier metalworking skills and can definitely use tools, though they're said to mostly fight with their claws. This may tie to the fact that they're uncomfortable standing upright.
+ They cannot be lied to. The only panserbjorne who falls for a lie in the book is one who has embraced human customs and wishes to become more humanlike (apparently also dealing with demons?), which seems to imply the ability to detect lies is part of their bearness.
+ They are full on honorobaru (honorubearu?) stupid, a bear who loses his honor is worthless and will be exiled from Svalbard and KILLED WITH FLAMETHROWERS if he tries to return.
+ Their armor, which is made of "Sky-Iron", is spiritually important to them. Each bear forges their own armor and it is either literally or figuratively tied to their soul. To lose their armor is probably the height of all dishonor.
+ They are uncomfortable in none-arctic climes, though it's unknown to what degree.
+ Their flamethrowers are powerful enough to threaten zeppelins in flight, but are also crew-served siege weapons. Seems to me that a "bear-portable" mini-flamethrower wouldn't be so powerful.
>>
>>51179683
It's a 70s-era urban myth. Second-wave feminists were always making up that kind of shit on the loosest grounds, because they weren't comfortable with the blatant physical inferiority of women. (I'm not trying to be a /pol/tard here, it's just not something you can deny. Women are weaker than men IRL.)

A lot of people still believe that women have a higher pain tolerance then men, for instance.
>>
>>51182146
>>51182215
It fits. At level 1, you're a panzerbear cub who still hasn't even forged their own armor. You start off as a small-ish polar bear who can talk and all, probably get an X in 6 chance to spot lies, and maybe a few dwarflike skills relating to appraisal of and/or metalwork related subjects. As you go up in levels you grow and at some point forge your own armor. Maybe you continue to improve it as you go up levels since IIRC from the books no bear would EVER consider changing their armor, even for a better one (one of them compares it to basically changing one's soul). Maybe have their armor become effectively magical in higher levels to keep them competitive.

Building and making additional fuel for a personal flamethrower is also an ability they'd get at a higher level. The very fact that doing both requires time, work and money should balance out the power of the flamethrower.

Finally, maybe give them paladinlike restrictions to represent their honor. If they act dishonorably or forget the ways of bears, they will lose some of their abilities (like how King Raknison became so enamored with humanity he lost the ability to detect lies).
>>
>>51178618
I don't see why not, just stick to a scale and measure distances with a ruler. There's no particular reason why a map should fit on a grid besides convenience.
>>
>>51182399
If it were me, I'd skip the lie-detection and make it an ability of NPC bears only, sort of like the way infravision works in OD&D: if you're a PC bear, that implies you've become too human already to make it work. (Alternatively, you could have it start as autosuccess and get 1/6 *worse* with each level gained after the first.)

As for the armor, if you're that wedded to the exact way they work in the books and their customs there, you could have it improve by level, sure. I think it's best if they already have plate-equivalent armor on level 1, though. You're kinda fucked as a fighter-type in Basic if you don't.
>>
File: 1483761150137.png (93KB, 347x132px) Image search: [Google]
1483761150137.png
93KB, 347x132px
Is the maze of the blue medusa in the trove? I can't find it
>>
>>51183782
>02_Supplements>01_Adventures
>>
>>51183837
Thanks based anon
>>
>>51182146
>So are balrogs if you just look at the fully formed ones as the starting level.
Has anyone actually played/ran a game for Gygaxian young balrogs?
>>
>>51180502
You could just use ~~magic~~, with the ethereal being local stuff. Mostly your caster handles ethereal overwatch, occasionally the rest of the party have to jack in or use magic weapons as the caster guides them or they use see invisible items.

The astral is the wider internet. Watch out for black ice elementals.
>>
>>51186022
I'd go with a 4e-style astral sea/elemental chaos cosmology for that, and yes, that means you all jack in with your silver cords and ride an astral ship through the internet to raid a distant server plane.
>>
>>51173731
Fedora: the novels
>>
>>51188517
Sadly true of the last one, at any rate. First one's mostly free of it, and the second one has good bits too.
>>
File: flamewing.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
flamewing.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Look mom I posted it again
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 640x841px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 640x841px
>>51165735
>>51168584
This

>>51168851
Imo, you've got it backwards. The increase in hostility is a natural reaction by the old guard to the newfriends as a screen against cancer. We had this discussion a few threads back on whether or not it's healthy to shit on people coming in with "non-OSR concepts" (however dubious a category that is, they're still intuitively recognizable) like feats, and I agreed with the posters saying it gets tiring for people who don't 'get' it to drag their cancer into the general, not realizing why it undermine old school play. Likewise, it's my healthy for someone to respond to simple criticism with the reaction of basically "fuck you, it's not like you have anything to contribute asshole," let alone consider only the former being hostile. This is anonymous discussion, relying on proof that the poster is in fact not "useless" to justify his criticism is absurd, he could be anyone ITT and to not understand that reeks of newfaggotry, and undermines the ability for us to have honest critical discourse free from social identities.

Hostility is good. A necessary evil if you prefer, because hugboxes, identities, low standards are bad. That's how boards/generals fall.
>>
File: FrenchKnight.jpg (4KB, 194x163px) Image search: [Google]
FrenchKnight.jpg
4KB, 194x163px
>>51190192

>purity movements
>muh cancer
>dredging that shit back up
>>
Also
>>51174637
>>51174704
This kind of response isn't healthy at all. This is:
>>51174864
He's not trolling, he just has a contrarian opinion he holds somewhat strongly. Shaming him for it rather than just addressing it or agreeing to disagree is how boring conformist hugboxes form. What is/isn't OSR will always be under discussion, deciding it suddenly isn't allowed under certain wrong opinions by trying to tumblrshame them away is taking a stance on it just as much as any other.
>>
>concern trolling
>>
>>51190372
Oh for fuck's sake. We've had entire threads shut out of any worthwhile discussion because people have to compare their rotten cocks and see which one has the '70est funk every time someone breaks out a rule that wasn't in the LBB. "Hugboxes" and the holy crusade against them are the go-to terms for shitheads that want this to happen - no productive arguments, no quality contents, just shitposting and bad faith. You want hostility? Okay: you're a fucking moron and have no business policing this thread's tone. Fuck off.
>>
>>51190372
>He's not trolling, he just has a contrarian opinion he holds somewhat strongly. Shaming him for it rather than just addressing it or agreeing to disagree is how boring conformist hugboxes form. What is/isn't OSR will always be under discussion, deciding it suddenly isn't allowed under certain wrong opinions by trying to tumblrshame them away is taking a stance on it just as much as any other.
the problem is he's an asshole about it(assuming it's that guy from before), not that he has an opinion about something(way I see it, having a differing opinion is perfectly fine and welcome, but if you're going to be a dick about it then you're just going to make things worse)

not to mention his kind of attitude is why I feel the definition for what makes something OSR or not should be purely limited to two things;

1. was published by TSR

2. and/or is broadly compatible with most other games labeled OSR and/or ones published by TSR

as any attempts to make a more binding definition in regards to either mechanics or "feel" are going to be too subjective to be good for anything except starting pointless thread wasting arguments

>>51190627
fully agreed
>>
>>51190672
GAH
Anon you are making this super hard for me
I am on your side re: tone and shit but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop acting like OSR is this vague and undefinable thing, I've never known anyone to not get it when they read the Primer, whether they liked the style or not, and late 1E through 2E is DEFINITELY NOT OSR
>>
>>51190672
But that definition makes Skills and Powers OSR, and we wouldn't want that.
>>
>>51190731
>late 1E through 2E is DEFINITELY NOT OSR
Why not? Because proficiencies?
>>
File: AD&D 2E - an OSR view.png (148KB, 996x1015px) Image search: [Google]
AD&D 2E - an OSR view.png
148KB, 996x1015px
>>51190731
>DEFINITELY NOT

1e absolutely is OSR, I don't know how you could claim otherwise. 2e, however, is really arguable. (I'm with pic related.)

>>51190827

Nobody wants Skills and Powers, it's the redheaded stepchild of D&D.
>>
>>51190847
>2e greatly expands the amount of XP awarded for defeating monsters
That only applies to the fighter.
>>
>>51190843
No, because from the publication of DL1 forward they started slipping into Heroic Story Fantasy mode as the default (and 2E reinforces this in the rules, one of the biggest changes albeit a subtle one). They did this because it sold incredibly well, but it killed the old-school style. That was what made the old school need recovering and reviving in the first place: it was destroyed as a concern within D&D itself, the game made to carry it. (As someone pointe dout a thread or two back, this was so obvious even at the time that 3E kinda-sorta tried to achieve the same thing; marketing itself as "back to the dungeon" and such. But, of course, 3E shit the bed explosively and covered everything with dysenteric microbes.)

The OSR concept wasn't invented on these boards and in this thread, it's a thing that migrated here and means something fairly clear. The early threads (yes, I remember those) were comfy as fuck because everyone was on the same page about stuff like this and only came to share their love of it. Now, I get that /osrg/ has expanded since then and especially that lots of people have migrated here due to just loving the simplicity of the mechanics, but this can't just be Not Shit Rules General. That's the exact reason why we try to politely redirect people who come in for Traveller or Tunnels & Trolls or something. Remember that period when we'd have one or two anons come in regularly and angrily demand to know why this wasn't the thread for Runequest, given that it's so old?

>>51190847
1E itself, the corebooks, definitely OSR, yes. That's the exact reason why I wrote late 1E.
>>
>>51190731
eh I just feel it makes more sense to be inclusive of 2E AD&D(and the handful of OSR stuff derived from it) then not to be, but then I'm approaching it purely from a mechanical compatibility POV(not to mention excluding 2E mucks up the timeline and feels arbitrary, while extending it to cover everything published by TSR before WOTC released 3E feels much simpler and natural, especially since 2E is barely any different from 1E mechanically at least going by Core materials), because I feel any attempt to define OSR from a "feels" or "philosophical" aspect is doomed to be too personal and subjective to be of any real use

>>51190827
eh Skills & Powers is merely a supplement, not anything Core so I see no problem in including it, it's not like BX/BECMI/RC D&D doesn't also have a bunch of weird supplements that go outside the norm of what most people consider standard

>>51190847
while I do agree 2E has issues, I don't think they're enough to exclude it(and honestly this ties into what I consider to be a third point of my definition of what makes something OSR; if it's in the Trove, I consider it OSR plain and simple)

>>51190974
eh it's just nitpicking at that point
>>
>>51190847
>>51190916
And let's not forget that Gygax himself talked about incorporating OA skills and removing assassins.

The objections to 2e are just fueled by the "Good Guy Gary vs Evil T$R" meme. Had Gygax authored 2e then the OSR would be treating skills like sacred cows.
>>
>>51190974
>Heroic Story Fantasy
What if I were to argue that GDQ1-7, T1-4 and A1-4 are heroic story fantasy?
>>
>>51190974

I think we can all agree that a lot of TSR modules veered away from the old-school style toward a plot-on-rails kind of thing. (I think someone called it a Type 2, to distinguish it from both old school and more modern storygaming stuff)
But that's not a big issue, IMO. Nobody's telling people to run railroady story-centric stuff.

And I'll agree it's important to guide people away from recreating the mistakes of later editions, that doesn't mean we should shy away from helping them to tweak things to do what they want. Gonzo over-the-top stuff was around from the earliest days of D&D (Blackmoor was littered with people who had all kinds of crazy powers, for example), so it's fine with me if people want to do that. I'd rather help them to do it in a way that won't break things than be like the guy the other day and shout them down for "not muh OSR 3.pf cancer" or some nasty horseshit like that.
>>
>>51191038
I shall do you one better and say that Unearthed Arcana introduced unbalanced player-facing options that ruined the game.
>>
>>51191071
>Gonzo over-the-top stuff was around from the earliest days of D&D
Reminder that Gygax wanted to excise psionics from 2e because he wanted a "pure" medieval fantasy game that excluded gonzo and science fiction.
>>
Make /osrg/ comfy again
>>
>>51191246
Comfy? That sounds like player-facing garbage from Pathfinder.

OSR should always be full of bitter assholes and contempt, just as Gygax intended.

Reminder that if you play AD&D with houserules then you aren't playing AD&D.
>>
>>51191245

Yeah, Gygax is the reason AD&D is less fun than Basic. Whereas everyone knows Basic is the core of the modern OSR movement.

Hey, guess what I just figured out? Gygax is not OSR! Heh.
>>
What are some things you might see or find in a former capitol planet of a sci-fi setting that's been abandoned by it's government and law enforcement? I'm working on a city crawl and want some more ideas to plop in.
>>
File: This thread right now.jpg (25KB, 682x339px) Image search: [Google]
This thread right now.jpg
25KB, 682x339px
>>
>>51191071
>>51190847
>1e absolutely is OSR, I don't know how you could claim otherwise.
Dragonlance, which is widely considered the first point of divergence from "OSR" play into railroady heroic fantasy, was originally published as a late 1e supplement. 2e explicitly embraces the "characters are superheroes" concept, which was merely an option in 1e, and doubles down on the counter-Satanic Panic bullshit.

Quibbling over opinions is fun and all, I just like making shit too.

>>51191332
Dat spoiler
Well of course not, it's also founded on Arneson, and Moldvay/Mentzer/Holmes. And for that matter Jacquays and company. Gygax just happened to be the one with the keys, he was never the entire fucking car.
That's really the point of the OSR though. It really is a thousand points of light - we're all making our own games - and our own "home" in gaming - not suckling from the mastitis-crippled teats of one central authority. Otherwise the OSR would have stagnated when Gary died, instead of fucking exploding the way it did.
>>
>>51191630
Step one: Watch Robocop 2 and Predator 2.
Step two: pay attention to the background.
That's really all you need. I think it's better to have the cops as a beleaguered "tribe" flailing wildly in the direction of Law and Order than completely wiped out. Or at least, someone wearing the blue and cruising around in black and white cars fighting for its memory..
>>
>>51191718
>Moldvay/Mentzer/Holmes
And Cook.
>>
>>51191630
Mutants
Robots
Mutant robots
Robot mutants
3d10 Goblins armed with laser longswords
>>
>>51191630

Is the whole planet deserted or is it still full of warring tribes and stuff because the government is gone?
>>
>>51191765
Recently re-watched Dredd (2012), so I'll add those to the list.

>>51191904
Noted.

>>51191939
This city is about all that's here, there are some small self sufficient (low tech) villages or maybe some rich off-worlder's private island, but no other large communities.
>>
>>51191775
MONTE COOK IS A WHOOOOOORE D8

Indeed I did, my bad. Accept this fine Frazettasaurus Rex and the dinosaur looking at her ass in apology.
>>
How good is ACKS? That bundle of holding is tempting.
>>
You guys know of any easy-to-rip-out-and-steal alchemy systems? Like which ingredients makes which potions and such.
>>
>>51192716

That's hard to say. One idea is the really abstract system that's totally setting neutral.

As in; you need 3 ingredients to make a healing potion; 2 common and 1 rare. This way you can abstract it or make it specific.

If you have more control over your setting you can make your own ingredients that players just have to find. Like a bloodcap mushroom and destroying angel make a cure poison potion or something.

OR my other concept I've been really enjoying is to just tie potion making to the abilities of various creatures, or reverse properties.

ie; Troll Blood is used to make health potions. Medusa Powder is used to cure paralysis. Any snake's venom can be used to make an anti-venom for that venom, and so on.

If you literally wanted already made from a rulebook then sorry, I don't know of one. I'm just spitballing ideas.
>>
>>51192716

There's an alchemy system in "Basic Alchemist," a class for Labyrinth Lord.
>>
Just mastered half of tower of stargazer.
Liked it a lot. It doesn't punish players randomly and only if they do recless shit or let curiosity get a hold of them.

Also most rooms and traps had a in game reason of existing. Any other modules with same characteristics?
>>
>>51158257
any modules to use with it?

I'm a noob and haven't seen a Space Dungeon crawl module ever.
>>
File: gojin_2.jpg (357KB, 640x485px) Image search: [Google]
gojin_2.jpg
357KB, 640x485px
>>51193075
It depends on exactly what you're looking for. For example, Forgive Us is a very "rational" module, with a lot of cool mechanics, but extremely lethal. I had to tone it down a bit for a second-level party, and it still killed all their hirelings and most of the henchmen, as well as dropping all but one of the PCs into the 0-3 HP range. Still, everything in it has a reason for existing, and it both rewards gambling and punishes stupidity.

The Grinding Gear is perfectly logical, as long as you remember the creator was a guy who wanted to murder adventurers but didn't have Aacerak's budget.

IIRC, though, The Cavers of Thracia (an old Judges' Guild module) is actually really good on the "only murdering your players if they're really fucking stupid" front. There's still a lot of challenges and a couple monsters that will kill you or demand your treasure (so you can kill them a couple levels later and get it back), but I don't remember any outright >bullshit< traps or anything.

Scenic Dunnsmouth is a really good "towncrawl". It can get hairy fast if the players are dumb or blow a lot of reaction rolls, but negotiation and investigation are useful. The serial killer is dangerous as Hell if you roll badly, but most of the time will be waiting for the right moment to strike. You're usually okay if you pay attention to where you're going and what you're doing. Also, if you make a good impression on one of the other characters it mitigates the danger somewhat. If you can pull it off, it's creepy as Hell; last time I ran I had one >player< curled up in a corner and rocking back and forth keening softly until she freaked out, and had her character pull guns and start blazing. It also helps if you make The Gypsy and The serial killer act on their violent and mutual hatred. Especially since the former gets Summoning spells.
>>
>>51193075
>or let curiosity get a hold of them
I also like that module, but this is the only real problem for me. It's not that bad, but I'd rather not punish brand new players for being curious. Like powering up the telescope, "Wow, it's amazing that you got through all the trouble to get this to work! Expecting a reward? Nope, you're fuckin' dead." I don't have a problem with something like that, I have a problem with it being in a module designed for beginners. Messing with all the weird stuff you find is the best part of D&D to me, I would hate it if the players where too scared to ever do that.
>>
>>51193433
You could rejig Barrier Peaks, or steal shit from Traveller and Star Frontiers.
>>
>>51193804
My experience is that by that a group of new to RPGs they will have run into enough "NOPE" that they will be very cautious about fucking with the scope, or accidentally destroy it.
>>
>>51192076
Wrong Cook
>>
>>51193836

Some of the early Classic Traveller modules are basically dungeon crawls. Death Station and Shadows come to mind.
>>
>>51193804
>>51193860
It's been awhile since I read Tower of the Stargazer, but don't the PCs have to go out of their way to activate the telescope?
>>
>>51192150
It's ok if you want to learn yet another way of calculating your chance to hit or have no problem tearing that part out and using THAC0, AAC, or target20.
>>
File: 1381737671197.jpg (298KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1381737671197.jpg
298KB, 2592x1728px
>>51193878
that was the joke, yes.
>>
>>51193900
It's fairly convoluted to activate the scope
>>
>>51193860
>>51193900
Yeah like I said, It's not THAT bad. I just feel like you should reward pushing buttons at first, that way when you start bringing the hammer down they're more likely to continue messing with things occasionally because they know there could be a reward.
>>
>>51180986
Human
Mutant Human
Mutant Dog
Sexy Space Chick
Space Squid
Robot
>>
>>51177221
this is such an impressive knowledge of a semi-sexist glam-rock thematic, the kind of knowledge that will only ever come in useful on roleplaying game threads - massive respect my man
>>
>>51192150
I'd say it's one of the best BX derived Retroclones(it's got one of the best Fighters for example), and it's Player's Companion expansion is one of the best supplements around, so I'd say it's very worth it

>>51193571
>"only murdering your players if they're really fucking stupid"
that's how most adventures should go in my opinion, at least after the first introductory bloodbath or two
>>
>>51194326
Agreed, I mostly like ToTSG but the poisoned bottle of wine is a bit of a gotcha on par with "you asphyxiate because you didn't say you were breathing".
>>
>>51194476

I still say the wine makes sense. The guy's an evil wizard that everyone hates, why wouldn't somebody try to slip some poisoned wine to him? That's why you have to be careful stealing wine from evil wizards and warlords and wicked barons and stuff.
>>
>>51194145
Human
Logical Alien
Warrior Brute Race
Proud and Honorable Warrior Race
Enslaving Race
Crystalline and Hateful Race
Loud and Obnoxious Race
>>
How is Blood in the Chocolate? I wanted to run it but can't quite get a handle on the quality as the PDF isn't anywhere. The concept sounds hilarious though.
>>
>the OSR blogosphere is now decrying minimalist mechanics and dungeons

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>51195235

What did YOU mean by this?

>Decrying minimalist mechanics and dungeons

What does this mean? They are saying that minimalist mechanics and dungeons are bad? They are saying people shouldn't use them or what? DO you have even a single example?

Speak fucking English.
>>
>>51195235
I don't know who you're quoting, but if your asking what decrying means
>to speak disparagingly of; denounce as faulty or worthless; express censure of
>>
>>51195315
>>51195334
http://beyondfomalhaut.blogspot.co.nz/2017/01/blog-osr-module-o1-against-ultra.html

http://monstersandmanuals.blogspot.co.nz/2017/01/in-praise-of-maximalism.html
>>
>>51195334

He's quoting the guy he just quoted, and he wants specifics of how these nebulous bloggers are "decrying" those things. HTH
>>
>>51193571
>Scenic Dunnsmouth is a really good "towncrawl"
That module is fucking superb. I haven't had a chance to run it but I've done the creation mini-game a few times with different people and that alone has been fun. I really think it's a brilliant piece of design.

I'm definitely going to use one of the Dunnsmouths we rolled up in the game I'm starting in a couple weeks.
>>
>>51195398

Seems reasonable to me. Though I still love one page dungeons for stocking a hexcrawl.
>>
>>51195498
This. 99% of those one page dungeons are looked at thoroughly by me and then twisted a little so I can shove them into my "New Lands" massive hexcrawl.
>>
>>51195398
Yoon Suin Guy touches upon it a bit, but I think the point should be that shit should be *functional* above all else. Doesn't matter if it's big or small as long as all of it has the intent of being functional and helpful for the user.
>>
>>51195235
Maybe we're entering a baroque period.
>>
>>51196319
A trip through the Neuro Tower would be cool.
>>
>>51196319

I know I am. I need a jobue.
>>
>>51194146
Thanks. It's always nice to know that I've wasted my life in interesting ways.

https://youtu.be/AJwwIDCeqoU
https://youtu.be/p-aQcCMF-H0
https://youtu.be/GbevQH1B9ic
>>
File: 1469683517095.jpg (345KB, 1060x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1469683517095.jpg
345KB, 1060x1300px
How crazy a battle is too crazy for OSR?
>>
>>51197657
I guess going crazier than fighting Demogorgon or Tiamat would be rare.
>>
>>51197734
If there is one thing that the D&D cartoon taught me, it's that I'll fight Tiamat.

A lot.

Like almost every weekend.
>>
>>51197924
Going by the D&D cartoon Tiamat will appear frequently, but you'll just mostly run away from her with the occasional tricking her into fighting the BBEG.
>>
>>51197956
What the hell would Tiamat's wisdom and/or intelligence be that she keeps getting tricked by a few kids and a unicorn? What about Venger?
>>
>>51197657
Related to this I have a real, honest question and I'd love to hear some nuanced opinions. Is Godbound osr? That's a game where you play actual gods, and largely the goal is to get followers.
When I look over it (because I've never played it) I see these very strong roots of OSR, but in so many ways it bends what it means to play an old school game.
>>
>>51198437
It's closely related to the Immortals set. Then again, it's also quite similar to post-20th-level SenZar, and I don't think that counts as OSR.
>>
>>51198437

It's built on a B/X framework, and you can port monsters and things into it with ease, I'd say it counts in the ways that matter. It's just the OSR version of BECMI's Immortals, with the advantage of being more playable.
>>
>tfw you have to wait until next thread to post your OC
>>
well we hit the bump limit, anyone going to make a new thread once we get closer to falling off the edge?(I'd do it, but I'm about to go to bed)
>>
>>51198866
The bump limit is 310 now. It has been for some time.
>>
>>51191019
Gygax is the one who made D&D shit. You're just spouting memes.
>>
>>51199018
Exactly. I would have loved to see what game Arneson would have made had he had full rights to D&D since we know what Gygax did (AD&D).
>>
>>51195315
I'm okay with minimalist dungeons but fuck minimlism in OSR in general.

It's what leads to annoying arguments like "what class should be removed" and sacred cow shitflinging as if removing things was somehow a worthwhile goal in itself.
>>
>>51199018

I wouldn't say that. AD&D is kind of overdone IMO, but without Gygax we wouldn't have OD&D or Basic. Arneson was a great idea man, but he was absolutely terrible at getting anything written down or formalized. If Gygax hadn't been around, RPGs would have been something you had to learn from Arneson in person, and probably never would have been more than a minor niche.

>>51199178
Considering the guy took years to put out his Blackmoor stuff, and what he released was a scrambled collection of half finished notes, I think we'd be disappointed. Great as a DM, terrible as an author.
Seriously, look at the total output of books by Arneson, and weep, because that's all there is, and it ain't much.
>>
>>51199181
I can see modifying systems (such as the Specialist in LotFP) to make them easier and slightly more intuitive, but gutting things just to gut them? I agree. Personally, I like the approach ACKS has in allowing each race access to a select few classes and BFRPG allowance on a shit ton of fan made material listed right there in the DL section of their site. Keep the core game slimish, add it in free downloads or expanded it slightly in (totally not necessary but there if you want it splats.
>>
>>51199202
Granted, Arneson was a bit spastic and all over the place in publishing (main reason he was let go from TSR was he was contributing so little) but what we did get was new and unique. He was the one who properly innovated the idea of a fantasy dungeon crawl through Blackmoor, gave us the first published adventure, and a lot of other little bits of unique ideas. Assume he had a few years and a team that was able to keep his shit together, I think his version D&D would be really unique to look at.
>>
>>51199219
>Keep the core game slimish, add it in free downloads or expanded it slightly in
I agree with this. It's much better to have a useful system that you might not use than not having it and wanting it later.
>>
>>51199181
I can get the draw of minimalism. One of the reasons behind OSR being a thing is getting tired with rules bloat and 300 page game books, and looking back to the 'simpler times'.
>>
>>51199245
minimalism by definition is going back to those "simpler times" and trying to make them even simpler just for the sake of it
>>
>>51199202
Yes, but ultimately Gygax dropped the ball with AD&D.
>>
>>51199278
the holy word of gygax is wholly the word
>>
>>51193908
What's ACKS way of calculating hit?
>>
All you people who keep trying to make some alternate spellcasting for Clerics should look at d6 Fantasy. The Miracle system has potential.
>>
>>51199397

Why do people post 'go look at this rule system from x system' without even giving a tiny fucking hint as to what the rule system is?
>>
>>51199407
Why do people keep complaining for years and years about how they don't like X mechanic in D&D and how they're going to change it but never bother looking outside their D&D pond, instead endlessly consuming the same decades-old material they've been complaining about?
>>
>>51199430

Anon, when you've been around as long as I have, you get discouraged by the amount of times people tell you something's great and "better than D&D", only to encounter the same old fantasy heartbreaker shite recycled over and over again. Give us a clue as to what you're talking about so we can tell if it's actually a new idea, or just one of the same old "it's better than Vancian no seriously" rules sets that have been touted since forever.
If this thing does something novel or clever, you should be able to tell us what it is, right?
>>
>>51199460
I didn't say it was better.

Skill-based casting, penalties for stronger effects and non-urgent situations, bonuses if you have faithful backing you up, degrees of success determine whether it appears to be mere coincidence or undeniable divine intervention. The game is free.
>>
>>51199625
>Skill-based casting, penalties for stronger effects and non-urgent situations, bonuses if you have faithful backing you up, degrees of success determine whether it appears to be mere coincidence or undeniable divine intervention.

zZzZzzz
>>
>>51199693
>>51199693
New thread over yonder.
>>
>>51199243
>the first published adventure,
The first TSR-published one. Judges Guild were already doing those beforehand.
>>
>>51193804
>It's not that bad, but I'd rather not punish brand new players for being curious. Like powering up the telescope, "Wow, it's amazing that you got through all the trouble to get this to work! Expecting a reward? Nope, you're fuckin' dead."
As much as I understand this point of view, I've always preferred for players to take their characters (especially level 1 characters) so lightly that that kinda IS a reward, like:
>Ha! My guy died spectacularly instead of getting stabbed by a goblin.
For me, the fact that Stargazer is focused on teaching *players* and one thing it teaches them is not to be too attached to their PCs is a plus point -- and at a guess, that's Raggi's idea, too.
>>
>>51197657
I'm not sure there are OSR games that can handle Fingolfin. Maybe Godbound??

But yeah, OD&D could do it. I don't think DDG ever had stats for Morgoth, and Fingolfin wouldn't be a LBB Elf - first age elves are a bit too metal for that, maybe just treat him as a very high-level fighting-man with Ringil being a totally sweet sword, but DDG gods weren't as ridiculously tough as later editions.

Especially if you don't fucking misread the bad layout decisions and give them all negative ACs.
>>
>>51201038
I replied to you in the new thread. It seemed more sensible. >>51201379
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.