[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mutants and Masterminds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1475656257525.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475656257525.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
I'm going to run a MnM campaing in a few weeks.
I have already planned out the setting, plot and the characters. And gave my players clear instructions about those.

I see that it's regarded as a good system, but I don't see any thread on the catalog.

I never played before, so I have some questions:
-What should I encourage?
-What should I discourage?
-How can I use the system to make the most enjoyable experience for the players?
-Any other useful advise?
>>
>>51148292
>Asking for advice for encouraging and discouraging things, as well as just general advice.
>Doesn't even give a brief synopsis of the setting or anything to work with.
>>
>>51148292
>What should I encourage?
>What should I discourage?
Follow the general advice which I believe is given in the rulebook 'when presented with a potential player character ask yourself "would I read a comic about this person?" and allow or disallow the character based on that'. In terms of overseeing character creation that's pretty good advice.
>How can I use the system to make the most enjoyable experience for the players?
Don't set up situations where enemies are defeated by hitting them really hard or combat can really turn into a slog, take advantage of the flexibility of the powers by making enemies in situation where they can be defeated in creative ways.
>>
>>51148560
In the fist session I'm thinking about generic goons, but I'm going to get creative once I see what my players can come up with

>>51148352
My bad.

I'm going to explain it briefly: escape from New York, but with monsters outside of the prison and in the future. The city is one of the last cities standing the invasion of the monsters but things in the city are kinda ugly anyways because you have Stalin in the power.
>>
File: 653fff10252283.560e1dd24397a.jpg (242KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
653fff10252283.560e1dd24397a.jpg
242KB, 600x849px
>>51148641
So you have the brutal police, the criminal gangs and the space monsters as enemies, with the ultimate goal of erasing all these curses of the city and yourselves. It's a three way war and you're caught in the middle.
>>
>>51148292
If your players are new to the system, encourage them to use/gain hero points. One thing I've always encountered with new players is that they tend to hoard HPs. Also encourage them to use HPs creatively: the edit scene power is especially powerful and flexible, but can be great for really dynamic storytelling if you as the GM are really good at thinking on your feet. The inspiration use of HPs is really good for new players and can help prevent railroading if you really need to get the players to hit a particular plot point.
And while we're on the subject, make sure that character complications come into play--make sure that players are aware of their character's motivations especially, and that motivation complications should be used as a roleplaying opportunity.

As for discouraging, there isn't much that's unique to MnM beyond the usual tabletop snafus. I'd keep a close eye on players during character creation: the general rule when creating powers is the less math involved in creating a power, the better.

On making the experience enjoyable: always make use of the environment during encounters. Put bystanders in trouble, have buildings fall on heroes, use brick-types to pick up and toss buses at players, etc. Basically, use your settings to make the encounters as dynamic as possible. Punching things repeatedly gets boring after a handful of encounters, so put your players in an environment that complicates tactics.
>>
>>51151044
>Punching things repeatedly gets boring after a handful of encounters, so put your players in an environment that complicates tactics.
Why does it always works well in DnD? I can't understand why
>>
File: 1481456378737.jpg (17KB, 312x535px) Image search: [Google]
1481456378737.jpg
17KB, 312x535px
What are some cool powers?
>>
>>51151044
Hero Points reward pathos and failure, so make sure to get across to players that it's okay to fail, to lose, to play up a character's foibles. Consider the narrative. A defeat now means a greater victory later.
>>
>>51152607
Should the players start with one hero point each? I feel like it would be better if they start with none. But I have no experience, so I would like to hear about yours
>>
>>51152691
They already do start with a single Hero Point by the rules.
>>
>>51151999
Does it? Imaginative players can liven up every combat, but without the robust world to interact with it's hard to be creative so punching things gets really boring after a while. You need to have either robust world or robust mechanics or both.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.