[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 23

>Latest News
New Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/1_UA_Artificer_20170109.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>>51129156
Previous thread.

"Way ahead of schedule" edition, because trusting you fags to make a general properly is apparently expecting too much.
We're all pretty much in agreement that Mechanical Servant class feature is really out of place for artificer. What would you replace it with?
>>
Why not an improved trap class feature to replace mechanical servant?
Since artificer is already a tinkerer more or less, adding different things to traps might be interesting, would also give some neat area control/set ups.
>>
>>51137655
> Trap class feature
> In a game that is mostly about invading dungeons, not defending them.
> tfw literally a trap option
>>
File: TommyFootball.jpg.jpg (11KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
TommyFootball.jpg.jpg
11KB, 400x300px
I want to play a character that uses a chain as a weapon, I want something hardier than a Human but isn't a Dwarf, Orc, or Half-Orc for the reasons that I already have 3 dwarves made and I don't like the aesthetic of orcs.

Is there a list of race stats that got converted from 3.5 or?
>>
>>51137674
Very much depends on how you play.
Granted it's a class feature that'd be more focused on actually intelligent play rather than murderfucking mobs, so that's out the window I suppose.

Since you've so kindly pointed out that the entire premise of D&D is invading dungeons, why not a mechsuit with the Thunder Cannon attachable on the shoulder, and each finger having a wand slot along with forearm flamethrowers.
Sound better?
>>
>>51137717
Goliath?
Bugbear?
Firbolg?
Lizardfolk?
Triton?
>>
>>51137829
Like I said I'd like to weigh my options, where do I look?
>>
>>51137717
> Uses chain as a weapon
You want fallen aasimar. Alternatively, a tiefling.
>>
>>51137717
Waterborne Adventures brought out the Minotaur if you want to go full hardcore.
>>
>>51137854
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html#Aarakocra
The link is literally in the OP, anon.
>>
>>51137884
Sorry im literally retarded
>>
File: slave-powered galley.jpg (345KB, 1440x800px) Image search: [Google]
slave-powered galley.jpg
345KB, 1440x800px
alright, after a week of agonizing over this I'm gonna cave and ask for help.

so this is the second time I'm DMing a campaign, and just like last time everything is groovy other than introducing my characters to my setting. since the beginning of setting this campaign up I've wanted to start them off as slaves rowing a galley in the middle of a naval battle, but I gave them a little too much freedom in their character development and suddenly 3/7 of my PCs are small sized characters. I now need to come up with a way for seven characters who do not know each other to go from being slaves to relying upon each other for a period of time after an escape opportunity. my original plan was for the ship to get utterly wrecked and a column of rowers end up drifting on a piece of debris they are chained to, but now I have to include some little guys somehow. I've toyed with the idea of them being in cargo crates, but I just can't find a good way to bring everybody together.

does anyone know how I can get seven slaves, three of which aren't very useful for manual labor, forced together for a period of time? I'm open to non-rowing ship suggestions as well.
>>
So... me and a bunch of my friends decided to start a campaign and, even though I only played a couple of weeks, this still makes me the most experienced player we have, so I offered to be the DM and I'm helping my players (none of them have ever played 5e and most never even played an RPG before) to create their character sheets.
I decided to start all of them on level 1 and play the Storm King's Thunder Campaign, any tips anyone could give me?
>>
>>51137884
Picking Hobgoblin, thanks
>>
>>51138028
I've got a thought for that. See how in that pic they're staggered, higher, lower, lowest? Have a fourth, even lower oar. Small-sized rowers could mean a ship can squeeze even more speed out of slaves, and they don't eat much or take up much sleep room either.
>>
>>51138028
What's wrong with a small size slaves? Slave children are a thing right? Maybe not for rowing boat... but for other... need....
>>
>>51138528
Go back to /pfg/, you fucking degenerate.
>>
>>51137628
How stupid of an idea (rp or mechanic) would it be to have my Pureblood fighter be a manhunter/slaver?

I'm thinking I spend money on having a wagon, lots of manacles, and an oxen to be my beast of burden.

Captured humanoids get manacled and tied to the wagon while I take them back to the city for bounty/money.

Suggestions, ideas, or critique?
>>
>>51138028
Depends on the tech level. Smaller slaves could man or repair siege weapons or machinery on the ship, or be part of a firefighting detail.
>>
>>51137628
I know enough about game design to know that I don't know anything about game design, but the hardest part about filling in the Artificer in my opinion is that it's a utility class.

So what do you give a utility class? More utility? Damage? I dunno. Currently it's mostly an RP feature later on, but it hits pretty hard right away. I really can't tell if that's intentional, an oversight, or they didn't know what to do and just printed it as-is and are waiting for feedback.

I also don't know offhand how other classes are structured in terms of RP abilities, and what levels certain power spikes come at, and such.

But my gut says replace it with an RP oriented ability.
>>
>>51138134
Yes.

Abandon everything and play them through the starter set using the premade characters.

Trust me.
>>
>>51137628
More than 3 attunement slots also seems dumb, or is this just me?
>>
As a bladesinger, can I wield a crossbow during bladesong? It only outright forbids making two-handed attacks, so it should work with hand crossbows, no?
>>
Is it just me or is the Alchemist damage seem... pretty weak?

Sure it's scale like sneak attack but you don't get initial damage dice (1d8 rapier, 2d6 thunderous cannon) or Dexterity to damage. You also can't critical since it's a saving throw.
>>
>>51138149
>>51138584
yeah my issue isn't as much figuring out what small slaves can do, it's more of finding a reasonable way to get three small slaves and four medium slaves to end up isolated from other slaves, into a situation where they are more or less reliant upon each other. I can't think of a way to get them together without it seeming a little bit forced because of the little dudes.

right now my back up plan is a slaver wagon ambush, with small slaves in crates and medium slaves in bondage walking behind in two columns. that'd give me plenty of opportunity to get them together in a sensible way, it's just not quite as cinematic of a beginning as pushing boats in an oceanic war.

>>51138528
I actually don't have any issues with sexual slavery, not even in a magical realm way but in a realism way, but I'd rather not start a character out with dicks inside of them.
>>
>>51138910
You could dual-wield while bladesong. But why would you use a hand crossbow on bladesinger? Are you a Drow or something?
>>
>>51138546
>>51138921
What kind of pervert mind are you? Small size slave are good for fetching things. Acting as a foot stool. Entertaining you via song and stuff like that... totally... yeah...
>>
>>51138945
I'm thinking of going arcane trickster and dipping into Bladesinger for the AC. Crossbow Expert means I get two attacks with my attack action, and can then make two attacks more with my bonus action.
>>
>>51138980
/stg/ mind
>>
>>51138921
Just kill all the other slaves. The small guys and their handlers arrive to put out a fire from a scorpion/ballista, but as they arrive a trireme crashes right through the rower's deck and separates them from the rest.

You could do a bunch of stuff with the handlers; they're attacked by marines from on board the trireme, they straight up get killed by the ramming, or your small guys see a chance to overpower them.
>>
>>51139000
>two attacks with attack action, two attacks more with bonus action

Am I just missing something?
Do you not only get one attack action and then a bonus action one with Crossbow Expert?
I mean I'm playing a crossbow expert rogue right now atleast.
>>
>>51139050
Sorry, I missed part of my reply. Bladesinger at level four or six or something gives you two attacks with your attack action.
>>
Think of playing a Firbolg or wood elf druid of the land. How should I get to act about people taking stuff the woods to service. I was thinking as long the party does go killing wildlife for no reason attempts to burn down massive areas of forest I should be good. I thinking of playing him as a learned member of group of sages of the woods that would help protect a nearby small city from monsters and help their crops in return for payment.
>>
>>51139000
> and can then make two attacks more with my bonus action.
???
>>
>>51137628
>"Way ahead of schedule"
Bump limit was already reached so no reason to say it was made early

>We're all pretty much in agreement that Mechanical Servant class feature is really out of place for artificer.
I don't

>What would you replace it with?
If you really hate it, make a subclasse based on it, I don't know what I would replace it with
>>
>>51139063
Extra attack only apply to attack action.
It did nothing to your bonus action attack from Crossbow Expert.
>>
>>51139063
"Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn."

It doesn't apply to bonus action though..
>>
>>51139122
>>51139136
Oh, alright. I still think it's pretty decent. Two attacks in my action means a good chance of hitting and getting my sneak attack damage, and if I somehow miss both I can use my bonus for a last try, otherwise the bonus can cast some good spell or be used for movement or to hide.
>>
Is it worth getting Eldritch Blast (via magic initiate) as Bard?
>>
>>51139199
No
>>
>>51137756
Hi. This may seem odd, but I'm Mike Mearls, and I'd like to offer you a paid internship to work on UA. I've never seen anyone with as great a grasp of 5e design theory as you. Can I use that mech in artificer part 3?
>>
>>51139170
You need to be like... level 9 for that though..
3 AT / 6 Bladesinger.

At that level a pure Wizard could just use Animate Object and attack 10 times at +8 / 1d4+4.
>>
>>51139199
It's fine I guess? Cantrips are always a reasonably safe option due to the by-level scaling, but there could be a better ASI or feat depending on your current situation.
>>
>>51139199
Just go into warlock and grab it together with the invocation. Bard+Warlock means you get utility, some good control spells, and you only need Agonising Blast to get nearly full Warlock blasting prowess.
>>51139243
Sure, but I think my way is cooler. If I just wanted to do damage good I'd be running some horrid paladin multi.
>>
The mechanical servant isn't out of place for the artificer, it's out of size. Make it small or smaller and remove the beast restriction. Maybe increase the cr limit, but I'd have to evaluate that.
>>
>>51139199
Eldritch Blast and Sneak Attack are consolation prizes for playing their respective classes. They aren't something you go out of your way for.
>>
>>51139301
Rogues are already one of the best classes, without sneak attack though

Warlocks are arguably pretty great too, even without eldritch blast.
>>
>>51139025
there's still the matter of them ending up on something afloat together, but small guys as firefighters is a very good idea, especially considering setting ships on fire is a huge part of naval warfare in this setting as it's bronze age. I'll meditate on it, ridiculous how challenging of a puzzle this has been for me.
>>
>>51139287
> Multiclass for 2 level
> On a Bard

No. Magical Secret is too good to be delay.
>>
>>51139351
I won't fall for this bait

>>51139287
I think you're too in love with multiclass. That seems like something a 3.5 player would say.
>>
>>51139371
One of the guys I play with did exactly that and he's wrecking in combat with his force damage, but sure.
>>51139401
I guess, but I don't mind losing out on a few d6 damage, the crummy rogue capstone, and an ASI. I rolled damn well.
>>
>>51139401
What about the opinion do you think is b8?

Rogues get expertise and reliable talent. They have utility outside of combat that only bards can beat, and in combat they are unbeatable grapplers, making them useful and desirable for murder hobos even if they never land a sneak attack.

Warlocks get something no other caster does until late game: unlimited casting of several useful spells. This gives them quite a bit of out of combat utility (I rank them as the third overall in this category). Pact of the tome and chain each add significantly to this as well. If you go blade, you can outdamage eldritch blast with the right feats, and contribute more damage than rangers, rogues, paladins and monks.
>>
>>51138638
As a beginner DM whats the best module to do thats a good balance between my skill as a DM and their experiences as semi-new players? Is the starter set really that bad? What if I add a bunch of side activities and stuff?
>>
>>51139544
Unbeatable grapplers?
Elaborate please, haven't heard of this before.
>>
Well. No one read my question last thread. Is there any good duet game (one GM, one PC) adventure PDF somewhere? I plan to start playing with my 12yo niece and i am not good at making my own quests (yet)
>>
>>51139586
Expertise in athletics. Rogues only really need Dex and that's for AC, so you can easily put your second highest score/racial bonus into strength.

So ~16 STR with point buy and you have +7 to Grapple rolls at level 1. Put an ASI into it and by level 5 you can get a +10 to every grapple check, after which you can shove them prone and shank them into tomorrow with sneak attack.
>>
>>51138766
If you have a magic item class in your game then adding an additional item slot seems meaningful.
>>
>>51139586
Expertise can get you +7 on athletics from level 1
Nearly every grappling build takes at least 1 level of rogue (or 3 of bard)
>>
>>51139662
That is actually a fair point and you just gave me a character concept.

Cheers man, hadn't considered that at all and I've always wanted to play a grapple character that worked.
>>
>>51139564
Modules are bad to start off with as a dm, because they encourage bad habits. If you do go with a module, lost mines of phandever or whatever is good. Just don't be afraid to improvise.

>>51139586
Monsters in the first manual rarely have any proficiency in athletics or acrobatics. A rogue that takes expertise in athletics and later gets reliable talent is almost inescapable by any monster manual monster.

Since shoving works the same way, a rogue can very easily have two enemies reliably pinned, granting auto advantage to everyone else and no movement. Multiclassing recommendations are something with extra attack and Bard to get enlarge person.
>>
>>51139467
Eldeitch blast damage is good. But being able to counterspell stuff or get a Meteor shooting horse is both better and cooler.

But at level 11, 3d10+15 = 20.5 average damage.

Pure Valor Bard could do 4d8+20 = 38 average damage with Swift Quiver up.

Pure Lore Bard could... do whatever the hell they want.
>>
>>51139544
Lore Bard is a better grappler with cutting word and the ability to inspire self.
>>
>>51139746
Sure, but lore bard is better at everything. It's pretty much the best archetype of the best class.
>>
>>51139783
Agree
>>
>>51139719
Not that guy, but what bad habits?
>>
>>51139726
*31.5 damage from Eldritch blast
>>
>>51139838
Inflexibility. Your players will do something that isn't accounted for in the adventure, and in my experience, most new DMs don't feel in control over the story of a premade adventure path. Since they feel constrained by the story, they flounder when confronted with the unexpected.
>>
>>51139719
>Modules are bad to start off with as a dm, because they encourage bad habits
I know not to read directly from the book or to take encounters directly from the book.
>>
>>51139746
After getting reliable talent, though, Grappler Rogues are physically incapable of getting below 20 (assuming at least 14 Str) on an athletics check without consuming limited resources like bardic inspiration.

I'm not denying that Lore Bard is a stronger class overall, but I do think that Rogue is a more reliable grappler.
>>
Say I want to play an artificer but don't want to use the mechanical servant.

What should I replace it with?
>>
>>51138028
They can be slave merchandise. Slaves weren't used only for manual labor, having one serve as a tutor for some rich man's child was a common thing (so that's a use for a Gnome, for example).
>>
>>51139544
>>51139662
Grapple Rogues sacrifice their main strength: mobility, and melee is a huge risk for them. "16 Str" = 9 points not going into a minimum 14 Constitution for a melee participant or Wis/Cha that have better associated checks. Not to mention with grappling you are looking at two dedicated rounds to create a softlock in 5erg Rush edition.

>unlimited casting of several useful spells
Ritual Casting, and also short rests are very campaign dependent.
>>
>>51139955
At that level, Bard can already get Bigby's hand though... So they can grapple Huge creature if they want to.
>>
>>51140012
Animal companion.
>>
>>51138028
Do the small races have extended lifespans? That adds value.
>>
>>51140087
Warlocks have unlimited, non ritual casting of alter self, disguise self, silent image, and levitate, iirc. There's more too.

Grapple rogue a can be built survivable, and their bonus actions actually enhance their mobility in the grapple.
>>
File: armorer-000.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
armorer-000.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51137628
I don't mind Mechanical Servant. I'm making a Machinist specialty where the 9th, 14th, and 17th level features are based around improvements to your Servant.

I love this UA, my only disappointment being that the Gunsmith seems very one-note. I'm considering this as a substitute; this version is very rough, and I need to come up with more Infusions for things other than those from Gunslinger, but I wanted to make it a lot more tinker-y.

Got a few minutes, anons?
>>
>>51139351
Rogues are okay and a well designed class I think, but lose out against full casters. They lose out when you start to consider paladins and full casters, and they don't really do as much damage as other martials can. But, compared to other martials, their utility is more fun and probably more useful, so I'd put them at the second tier.

Bladelocks are stupid. You're sacrificing so much, going MAD and trying to get yourself killed in exchange for pitiful damage. You're forsaking your role for peanuts. The at-will spells are good, but wizards can still cast all those spells with a spell slot, which they get plenty of in comparison to warlock. If you can't make full use of those spells 24/7 then those talents are going to waste.
The real talent of the warlock is repelling agonizing blast. It's a brilliant ranged attack that keeps enemies from being able to attack your team by keeping their distance. It works brilliantly alongside sorcerer levels, and you can even throw a couple of fighter levels in there. However, this is warlock's main gimmick, and while it's certainly great I wouldn't say it's enough to put them on tier 1 unless you have an all-ranged party... If you have an all-ranged party, sorlock would definitely be tier 1.
>>
Name some creatures that use illusions, trickery, deceit, and other such shenanigans to trick a character into unknowingly becoming their servant
>>
>>51140178
>Name some creatures that use illusions, trickery, deceit, and other such shenanigans to trick a character into unknowingly becoming their servant
Fae
>>
>>51140178
Gnomes.
>>
>>51140178
PC
>>
>>51140178
Humans.
>>
>>51140087
>Grapple Rogues sacrifice their main strength: mobility
Just use cunning action to dash after you grapple them. You'll have at least normal mobility while still shanking them and dragging them wherever.
>"16 Str" = 9 points not going into a minimum 14 Constitution for a melee participant or Wis/Cha that have better associated checks
If you're playing a Grappler rogue you're not going to be going for the "Better" associated checks in the first place. But Constitution can still be fairly easily maintained, and a reasonable Concentration.
>Bugbear
>15(+1) Dex, 14(+2) Str, 14 Con, 12 Wis, 8 Int, 8 Cha
As long as you have a party that knows you're going for a grappler rogue and not a normal rogue you can build around it.
>>
>>51140178
Gods
>>
>>51140087
>>51140254
>being a grapple rogue
>not grappler barbarogue
But why?
>>
>>51140178
Elves
>>
>>51139467
>the crummy rogue capstone
What is this meme? Once per short rest, when you lose, you actually win. It's better than Action Surge.
>>
>>51140174
To quote trump: Wrong!

On so many levels too.

A wizards high level features all give you unlimited casting of certain spells which you pick. These are excellent features and add a tin of value to the wizard class at those high levels 17-18 iirc.

Warlocks get to do it from level 2 on, antithesis with a limited but excellent selection of spells. This is pretty standard for warlocks, which are quite similar to what rogues are: classes that are always online. If your dm actually follows the encounter/adventuring day guidelines, a warlock will shine while a wizard will do worse. If your dm allows long rests after every encounter in a dungeon, then the wizard is better.

Agonizing blast is great, but not worth taking before level 5, and repelling blast is only situationally useful. Many times using it would actually let the enemy disengage from your martials for free.

Bladelock builds deal twice as much damage as eldritch blast builds. It is not piddly damage. Take a paladin level at 1 for plate armor proficiency.
>>
>>51139467
You're never going to get any of those things so multiclass away.
>>
>>51140342
>To quote trump: *pissing noises*
That's also me re: your argument for Bladelocks.
>>
>>51140302
>Being a grappler barbarogue
>Not a grappler bardarogue

But why?
>>
>>51140361
Do you even have an argument, or are you just grasping at irrelevant things to justify ignoring an entire opposing argument like most other liberals?
>>
>>51140178
women
>>
>>51137655
Half casting class or a reserve of points that can be use to infuse another player equiptment
>>
>>51139719
>Multiclassing recommendations are something with extra attack
A level 5 fighter can action surge to grab and shove two creatures in one round, while wearing heavy armor and having good HP. A rogue dip helps, but the main part of grappling is not rogue. Rogues are bad grapplers.

>>51139746
Lore bards are bad at this too.

A good grappler is tough, with multiple attacks, and really good athletics checks.
>>
>>51140390
>>>/pol/
No one here wants to hear you cry about people being mean on the internet. Get back in your echo chamber.
>>
>>51140390
He's just triggered by you mentioning the idiot in chief
>>
>>51140342
>my amazing variant human 20 strength PAM GWM multiclass melee warlock does superior damage in a fucking theoretical vacuum
>>
>>51140468
Lmao,

Is this your attempt at bait or are you stupid?

Actually provide critique towards the other anons work instead of getting triggered by a reference.
>>
>>51140466
Expertise is essential to grappling famalam, if you don't have it you'll just not be as good a grappler as of you do, it's simple math
>>
>>51140468
>Go to an echo chamber so I can make the a safer space for my opinions.

No fag. Either argue the actual point or act like the limp wristed liberal faggot you are and pretend my opposing viewpoint doesn't exist.

>>51140520
Twenty strength/cha isn't required to out damage eldritch blast. Just a 20 STR, and the feats, which is easily doable in early levels. Any other charisma you have is just gravy, and improves the comparison towards other martials.
>>
>>51140367
At that point, you might as well just be a bard since you're going for that.

>>51140342
Well, it heavily depends on your DM giving a lot to do every day. Honestly, I find it a bit flawed if the DM decides to do anything that isn't dungeon crawls or doesn't give the party enough reason to just rest at every opportunity. Your DM should ideally not do either of those or make long rests longer / harder.

If you do find a way to do double damage, you're likely forsaking other things such as charisma, and honestly you'll still lose out to a fighter or paladin. You might as well just be a paladin if that's what you want, though you're filling the niche of being something like a three-quarters caster while doing that. Still, you might as well be a favoured soul sorcerer and get full casting instead.
You also have to sacrifice levels and pick up things such as fiendish vigor instead of the other at-will spells and all that if you're a bladelock. You need to multiclass, and that'll delay the already not-as-great spellcasting by a level.
Simply being in melee combat at all is a big disadvantage when you could, without wasting pact of the tome / pact of the chain and faffing about, simply just fight at range.

Maybe at level 2 when you've got one invocation aside from agonizing blast (which you should have) and wizard only has 3 level 1 slots you'll outdo the wizard, but even before level 10 the wizard is still so much more versatile than illusion spam.
>>
>>51138915
You're not alone. I love the class but it does need some fixes. The damage scaling is weak and the class lags behind at higher level (at least if you're an Alchemist). The damage scaling would be fine if the spellcasting progression were quicker. It should be a half caster, not quarter caster.
>>
Question for the masses.

My group and I are finishing up the Curse of Strahd where I've been playing a rogue. Mostly been playing rogues with a few barbarians and a single bow paladin throughout the editions.

We've decided that the next AP we're going to run is Storm King's Thunder. This time I'm trying to avoid being another rogue despite it being tempting and decided that I want to play either a caster or a paladin.

Which would be a choice between either Illusion or Divination Wizard, Tome Pact Warlock or Oath of the Ancients Paladin.

I might look into Lore Bard but it's not as high of a priority as the others.

Thoughts or tips?
I'm so indecisive.. I usually play rogue because I enjoying having a tool for almost every occasion and the whole sneaky part.
>>
>>51140543
>LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBRULS
>wah everyone else is triggered but I'm totally not, excuse me while I blatantly samefag
Pro tip: disguise your writing style next time. It's really obvious when you follow it up with something like >>51140581
I'd also suggest double posting so you can skirt the post timers, but that's more of an advanced technique that you don't really have occasion to practice on /pol/.
>>
I once played a Kensai/Cleric multiclass through the Baldur's Gate trilogy (Shadowkeeper). He could cast party/self buffs, then kick major ass with a quarterstaff.
What are some ways to recreate that character for tabletop? Cleric with a couple levels of Monk?
>>
>>51140631
There is an Unearthed Arcana Monk subclass known as Kensei. So yeah. Multiclass that probably.
>>
>>51140587
You should very rarely take agonizing blast at level 2, assuming normal stats. +2-3 damage at those levels isn't worth giving up the ability to avoid fights altogether with clever use of class features.

Ritual casting, silent image, and disguise self are all much better level 2 pickups than agonizing blast. Once eldritch blast splits into 2 beams, then agonizing blast becomes worth it.
>>
>>51140626
Be aware that a lot of what you're going to fight in SKT are giants, so spells that specify "Large or smaller" creatures or the Humanoid type won't do anything for you. This is a campaign where you handle encounters with massive amounts of CC, clever exploitation of the terrain, and kiting.

Divination Wizard would be good for spamming Slow around and forcing failures where necessary, and Warlock can be a good source of ranged DPS (and keep enemies out of range with Repelling). Talk to the rest of your group to see what they're making and base your decision around the rest of the party makeup.
>>
>>51140628
>all opposition is actually the same person

Nope, try again.
>>
>>51140678
Why focus on an irrelevant part of the argument in an attempt to skirt the main claim, which is that you're really the triggered snowflake? :^)

>>51140367
You don't need a second source of Expertise, but you probably do want the advantage on Strength checks, bonus health, move speed, and additional damage that comes from stabbing or punching your grappled target while Raging. You take either Bard or Rogue with your Barb, not both.
>>
>>51140676
Aye, heard that it's very giant centric.

The lineup thus far is still a bit loose, but we've got a confirmed artificer atleast, still awaiting answers from the other 4 players. I'll see if I can get some answers out of people as to what they're playing.
>>
>Alchemists throwing fire / acid features don't specify "that you can see"
>sit in a cloud of smoke all fight and hurl explosives and corrosives with perfect accuracy
>>
>>51137628
>We're all pretty much in agreement that Mechanical Servant class feature is really out of place for artificer.
You DON'T want a pet robot?
>>
>>51140626
If you still want to be sneaky and have a tool for almost every occasion, you should really consider Bard.

Otherwise, all of those options you also listed are fine.
>>
>>51140752
It should also be noted that Rage damage bonuses require you to roll your attack and damage with Strength, so relying on both Rage damage and Sneak Attacks (which don't necessarily need a Dex-based attack, but do need a Finesse weapon) demands a Strength-based build.

From the standpoint of ensuring the most successes on your grapple checks, I'd suggest Expertise from Bard so you can go Lore and get Cutting Words.
>>
>>51140808
I have been considering bard for a while now, but I can't get a serious bard together.
The only concept I have of a bard that I'd enjoy playing is a large, burly man modeled after Abbath from Immortal, with the corpsepaint and all.

It doesn't really fit into a somewhat serious AP.
>>
>>51140661
It's still 5.5 damage average to 8.5 damage average, assuming you have 16 charisma, which you should. With hex, 9 damage or 12 damage.

It's still a big jump in damage when that's what most of your combat is like.
However, I won't deny at-will false life is probably brilliant at level 2.

The problem is that wizard can do most of the utilities you can get through invocations. Most rituals can be done by wizards, false life / disguise self / silent image are all wizard spells, and even if you say they wouldn't waste a spell slot on that, they'll use the spell slot on something even more useful like 'shield'. Once the wizard hits level 5, they've got 9 spell slots which they can save for the big fight if they want to, rather than gaining no use from conserving them before a short rest.
The invocations make up for some lost utility compared to wizard, but you really have to capitalize on warlock's Eldritch Blast to make it out better than a wizard. And then Bladelock comes along and says 'well, I don't want to eldritch blast!'
>>
Beast’s Defense
At 7th level, while your companion can see you, it has advantage on all saving throws.

If my halfling ranger is riding his mastiff, will beast's defence still work?
>>
>>51140821
Rogue bard is superior simply because the rogue offers reliable talent, and the bard supplements it with enlarge person, inspiration/cutting words, and good casting. It's basically impossible to fail a grapple check.
>>
>>51138547
Any critiques?
>>
>>51140866
Yes. The rule is poorly worded (par for the course for ua). The question isn't asking if the animal is seeing you, which is usually implied in colloquial English by the phrase "can you see me". Instead, the rule is asking you to do what is a line of sight check in other games: are there any obstacles or darkness between you and the beast that would prevent it from seeing you, or is the beast affected by a condition that would prevent it from seeing you.
>>
>>51138547
Currently playing a Gnoll manhunter

At least one level in revised Ranger will make you a humanoid radar, which is super useful. I ended up going almost full Ranger because of the bonuses to tracking humanoids. Currently sitting at Ranger 6 / Rogue 1 serving at the party's primary scout, tracker, and criminal contact
>>
Hey guys, lad from Pathfinder here.

I wanted to know how hard it would be for me to learn this system, though I'm more interested in the types of campaigns that are available; is this nothing but dungeon crawl, or are there subsystems n' such for things like item creation or kingdom building? I "get" being a warrior or mage, but I'm kind of looking to be the guy that can forge trinkets or skin rare beasts for their valuable pelts.
>>
>>51140864
I don't think you get what kind of tactics at will can open up. Being able to constantly disguise yourself can completely change scouting and social interactions. At will levitation with the generous strength rules completely changes exploration, etc. The fact that these are unlimited resources completely changes game tactics.
>>
>>51141043
The available subsystems are poorly thought out and suck. 5e is a competent dungeon crawler, but that's about it. Social interaction, professions, and general out of combat stuff lack good rules to expand upon the decent framework.
>>
>>51141043
this is the easiest to understand iteration of dnd to date
>>
>>51140874
You can simply go barbarogue, get extra attack (Because seriously, are you trying to grapple when you only have one attack?), get extra speed (+10ft speed so even while grappling you can move more) and you also get rage for advantage on grapple checks.

Strength focus, expertise in athletics and advantage on strength checks is all you need to reliably grapple. You don't need to spend an action casting a concentration spell on yourself and using your bard resources with a touch of str-dex-con-cha MADness and all that to succeed grapple when you've got advantage and plus fucking 13 on your athletics roll at level 10.

The only reason I see bard being superior is that it's a bard, and bard is just a good class. It doesn't have the same synergy that barbarian does with rogue, where practically every barbarian feature has synergy with rogue.

Also, Barbarianrogue is tankier and more melee-orientated - they'll gain more from proning enemies and they'll suffer less if the grappled target tries to fight back.
>>
>>51141089

So everything outside of initiative is pretty much freeform? God dammit.

>>51141092

I'm seeing that!
>>
>>51141043
> I wanted to know how hard it would be for me to learn this system
Considerably easier, at the cost of granularity.
> I'm more interested in the types of campaigns that are available
The published adventures vary a bit, but there's quite a bit of variety so far. There are 6 published adventures out so far, 7 if you include the starter set, and the Adventure League material is also pretty solid.
> Item creation
Not of the vidya-style crafting variety. The whole playtest class released this month is based around item creation/infusion but the list is prescribed. Still pretty cool.
> Kingdom building
It's there, but it's intentionally slow. You're an adventurer, not a baron.
> Skin rare beasts
Talk to your DM. I'm sure they'd be happy to come up with an exchange rate.
>>
>>51140804
A CR2 pet is a lot of power at 6th level. It could have gone into making it a lot more like an artificer.

Honestly there's only two real ways to go about this, dismissing giving you 6 potions, and one of 5 magic items like they're martial powers.

1. DM Fiat everything, and have them play a gimped character in terms of combat/spellcasting.

2. Codify a build-your-own magic item class where people can put legos together under gold/time/XP/whatever constraints.
>>
>>51141069
Trust me, I've played a warlock with the at-will abilities myself, and it's rare that I find an ordinary one-hour casting wouldn't do just as fine. You can even cast two or three, but you don't have to cast any on a day where you're not using it.

The main use is to hide yourself from somebody who's with you for more than an hour, or your entire party. Other than that, you won't be using the disguise every single day and you won't usually need it for more than an hour. Fun if you want to hide your real self from your party.

Silent image is interesting because you can actually use it through combat. It honestly depends somewhat on your DM, but in a smaller party if you're using it all the time, it's concentration and takes your action, so you're missing out on doing usual blasting shenanigans where you could simply blast the enemy 20ft away from your party instead. And a wizard could still use silent image in the more critical moments when you really need it rather than 'this might work'.

Disguise self at will is a bit disappointing, but silent image at will is actually pretty good, but kind of annoying for everyone when you spam it.
>>
>>51141140
Basically you've got to get a good dm experienced with other systems to have good out of combat, because 5e offers almost no rules support on its own for that.
>>
>>51139070
that all sounds pretty good
i mean the forests are places of resources
treat it like a TES wood elf, people may take what they need but taking more is a most punishable crime
>>
>>51140951
That's cool anon.

How hard is it to restrain and keep prisoners? What tools and or necessities are there to keep them alive long enough for the trip home?
>>
>>51141293
always hogtie and gag prisoners
>>
>>51141322
I assume your party is fine with this.

When you say Gnolls manhunter, is that strictly hunting criminals/deserters or simple slaving?
>>
Are kitchen sink settings good or bad for a new DM and some new RPG players?
>>
>>51141382
Im not the same anon but its a common tip for players, you can't cast spells if you can't move or speak.
>>
>>51138547
>>51140927
Consider how this works with the other PCs. They might not be cool with you being a slaver. Slavery is a pretty evil thing. Most parties of Adventurers like to fuck around, but truly evil stuff makes people stop short.

Being some kind of bounty hunter is a good idea though. Like...there's an overabundance of Goblins. So you just go out and capture goblins and bring them to the bounty store.
Could be that he doesn't have the heart to kill peeps. Always aims to do "non-lethal damage"

So I lean towards being the bounty hunter. I think Good characters are far better suited for D&D than Neutral or Evil.

I love the idea of having a wagon w/oxen and pulling these criminals around. I just have this visual image of the party developing into a Caravan of sorts. Maybe there's a dwarf in the group who has some laborers with him and he's going out to find fine and beautiful rocks of the larger variety. So his Wagon always has like...a really big rock that's cool looking. Bringing it back to his Fortress to sculpt it into some awesome Dwarf Statue.

Then maybe you've got another guy whose a Rogue or a Bard and he's a Snake Oil Salesmen. Trying to peddle his false wares.

Ranger is one of those British Safari Guys with all the Tan and the helmet. Goes out to hunt magical animals and bring them back dead/alive.

AH! It could be so good! I am going to somehow give my players a bunch of Wagons and Oxen. I mean...it will be super easy. They'll just find some abandoned Wagons and Oxen.
>>
File: bdae4453e0dc19c739447a742cf4e846.png (365KB, 1255x671px) Image search: [Google]
bdae4453e0dc19c739447a742cf4e846.png
365KB, 1255x671px
>>51141293
I haven't stumbled upon many instances to kidnap people in our current game, but considering my unarmed strike is 1d4+8 due to Greater Favored enemy and a +4 Str mod, I can knock out almost any commoner in a single punch. Barring that, I carry a lot of rope and some manacles

And to answer you here >>51141382, my character has done everything from kidnapping to slaving to contract killing due to his extreme hatred for the civilized races. Part of his backstory the DM worked out with me was having his pack killed by the local Adventurer's Guild so he's been on bad terms with humans and the lot for years. The only reason he fell into manhunting as a profession was his tracking skills and his heightened senses. If it wasn't for the past tragedy he'd still probably just be a big game hunter like he used to be
>>
>>51141407
Kitchen sink settings are often bad, full stop.

They're fine if nobody has strong preferences and is willing to play nice, but given the number of people still howling about the Monk class in muh medieval fantasy, odds are low.
>>
>>51141491
Monk deniers don't actually play the game.
>>
>>51141463
Well noted. I guess a bit of rope will suffice.
>>51141472
Definitely sounds like you got good ideas. I was wondering how much room there would be in a wagon. If I purchase a wagon, then clearly the party and I will use it as transport and storage. So keeping prisoners would take up valuable storage. Now I need to convince the group to take a proficiency in (wagon) riding, so room doesn't get lost.
>>51141488
+8? I may be convinced to make a ranger next time if that's the type of damage you can dish out. Does you GM strictly require you to declare you attacks non lethal to knock out foes or do you utilize a party members medicine skill to heal potential prisoners?
>>
>>51141583
>People with different opinion from mine don't play the game and therefore their opinion can be disregarded

Honestly, it can be a little awkward to fit them into every setting just because they're in the PHB.
>>
>>51141599
1d4 (Tavern Brawler)
+4 (18 Str
+4 (Greater Favored enemy)

Revised Ranger Rogue MC is probably my favorite class to play so far and I've played every class that isn't a Druid, Cleric, or Warlock

And our DM is usually pretty good at picking up at our intentions but we always clarify if it ever becomes an issue
>>
>>51141599
Well is it a covered wagon or an open wagon? Like a cart? Cause a Covered Wagon has a frame with some canvas or cloth of some other type over it. On that frame there can be shelves to store items and such.
Additionally, the roads of Fantasy Land aren't filled with Wagons like ours are with Cars. Strap some barrels to the side of the Wagon.

Additionally, add another Cart to the wagon. Like a Prison cart connected like a U-Haul.
>>
>>51141667
You've been very helpful, but forgive me if because I have one more question.

Nets: Garbage or effective for what I want to do/be (Y-T Pure blood fighter)?
>>
>>51141653
Not really, you just build them naturally into the world. So your game now has some east asian themes? Is that a bag thing?
>>
>>51141653
Just because the names are weebish, the fluff has to be weebish too. Amirite?
>>
>>51141679
I didn't know there was so much variety with the wagon. I'll need to discuss this more with the group before I introduce it. I was just following the PHB and noticed the soldier background allows me one proficiency with a land vehicle.

Side note: Am I blind, or do I not see a proficiency for riding horse/mule anywhere? Does that fall under animal handling by chance?
>>
>>51141653
> My campaign is Asian
Call them a monk
> My campaign is Middle Eastern
Call them a dervish
> My campaign is medieval european
Call them a ringer

Seriously, 5 minutes of research, Anon.
>>
>>51141756
That falls under animal handling, yes.

Land vehicle would be more like a chariot. I don't see a wagon proficiency helping much unless things are gonna get pretty western.
>>
>>51141716
Can't go wrong with one dude. Here's my spell list as a Deep Stalker for some ideas too

Lvl 1: Ensaring Strike, Cure Wounds, Hunter's Mark (Bonus Spell: Disguise Self)

Healing utility because we don't have a lot of heals, long range damage boost spell for capturing targets via thrown dagger or longbow, and Mark for tracking, damage, and whatnot. Disguise Self comes in handy for obvious reasons

Lvl 2: Locate Object (Bonus Spell: Rope Trick)
Not an optimal choice but as the group's tracker and general "where is it?" guy, Locate Object gives me utility to find stolen items or items of interest in the area. Rope Trick as a bonus spell is super cool as well, allowing safe rests, pocket dimension shenanigans, and as long as you can smuggle the very unassuming material components in, a great way to get a guard to open up a jail cell to look for you. That's when you either jump him or make a break for it. Also, you can't fail a Stealth check if you're not in the same dimension
>>
>>51141756
>I didn't know there was so much variety with the wagon
If you mean in the books? You phrased it like it was a specific thing in the books. I just made this stuff up off the top of my head. I don't need a book to tell me how a wagon operates. It's a wagon.
>>
>>51141835
Fair point Anon.

A wagon is a wagon.
>>
>>51141667
>tavern brawler gives you +1.5 damage
>+2 strength would've given you +1 damage and +1 hit chance

It's funny that tavern brawler actually gives your unarmed strikes even less damage than more strength.

I hope you're making good use of the bonus action from tavern brawler, otherwise what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>51141798

Wagons and carts were staples of civilian land transport from the Bronze Age until a hundred years ago, whereas chariots fell almost completely out of use by the start of the Iron Age.

In a typical D&D setting a wagon is a far more plausible means of transport for a party of adventurers and all their loot. Hell, Lost Mines of Phandelver starts with the party literally riding a wagon to the titular town.
>>
>>51141899
I fight with a shortsword and open hand so the option of grappling for melee control is great for my needs. I make myself useful to the party in combat by being versatile. Our Oathbreaker Paladin is the one to call for melee damage and he does it well. I'm his melee assistant, able to fight from close or long ranges (next to our Warlock and Sorcerer) and move with high mobility thanks to Mariner fighting style and soon Cunning Action from Rogue 2.

Plus it's flavorful. My character is experienced in unarmed tusslin' from years of manhunting
>>
>>51141199
I think warlock with at will disguise self is the most fun character I've run so far. If you have high deception and lots of other utility spells you can find lots of creative ways to go through the game.
>>
>>51141943
Not the point, Anon.

You aren't going to be doing complex maneuvers in a covered wagon. They're like 20 feet long, 8 feet wide, and are more often pulled by oxen.

What are you gonna roll for?
>>
>>51141971
Not him but if I was the DM I would call for both. Land Vehicle for actual vehicle control and handle animal to keep the animals in control / not spook / run in wrong direction.
>>
>>51141957
I don't know why there's a mariner fighting style when it's pretty much an upgrade of defense for people who don't use heavy armour, whcih is already a good enough fighting style as-is. Well, it's mostly a situational benefit anyway.

Seems odd to be strength-based though, but I suppose if you grapple a lot it's justified, though it doesn't really help with ranged abilities.

The warlock and sorcerer should combine. Just sayin'.
>>
>>51142011
> Forcing rolls for normal activity under ideal circumstances
>>
>>51141961
I'm having fun with it, but honestly I don't often feel like I couldn't be doing the same if I was a wizard.
>>
> new campaign
> DM said there would be base building
> kinda want to play lore Bard for awhile now but I love dem base building

What do I do...
>>
>>51142017
Our DM likes to roll stats and I had a spare high 15 pre racial, so I have a 16 in dex. If I didn't I'd definitely be Dex based, but I just like being Str based more
>>
So guys, I'm making a Half-Dragon/Dragonborn only barbarian archetype that leans into their Dragon Heritage. Wondering if you could tell me what you think?

3rd level - Dragon’s Roar
When you rage, your Breath Weapon becomes useable as a bonus action and your Rage bonus applies to it. If you have already expended your Breath Weapon, you also regain 1 use of it for the duration of the Rage.

6th Level - Draconic Senses
Get Blindsight out to a range of 60ft.

10th level - Legendary Resistance
While you Rage, you become immune to the damage type of your breath weapon, and you can automatically succeed on any 1 saving throw you fail.

14th Level - Raging Furnace
Whenever you kill an enemy, make a critical hit or suffer a critical hit, you gain 1 more use of your breath weapon.
>>
>>51142024
> implying I wouldn't force wagon chasing combat
> implying I wouldn't burn their emotionally attached wagon down (but later give them a newer shiny wagon)
>>
>>51142061
> giving PC blindsight with no string attach
No.
>>
>>51141774

Medieval European monks were called monks too, and still are to this day.

Bellringers are just the guys who ring the bells in the chapel, a normal-sized medieval monastery would have had dozens of monks who rarely, if ever, touched a bellrope.
>>
>>51142096

And why not? And what else instead?
>>
>>51142096

Would blindsight only while raging be good then?
>>
>>51142061
Player never get full damage immunity.
Player never get legendary resistance
Player rarely get infinite blindsight

Make those into a lesser version (darkvision or keen senses, reroll a saving throw) and we will talk.
>>
>>51142127
That is better. But remember that even a half-dragon template only give out 10ft blind sight and a magical item with limited use per day give you 30ft.
>>
>>51142061
>3rd level - Dragon’s Roar
It's fine. The problem with the breath weapon isn't the limited uses nearly so much as shitty scaling.

>6th Level - Draconic Senses
60 feet? A CR24 creature's blindsight on a level 6/CR2 character? Go fuck yourself.

>10th level - Legendary Resistance
Sure, but 1 saving throw per what? Per rage? Per round?

>14th Level - Raging Furnace
Again, the problem with breath weapons is that they scale badly and key off saves. It's fine for mook-burning but nothing worth hitting is going to fail this save if/when you hit 14.
>>
What do you do with Fog Cloud? AFAICT anything inside has disadvantage to attacks or being attacked, so is it best used alongside Acid Splash and other saving throw spells?
>>
>>51142096
Of all things, THAT was your problem?

Darkvision isn't hard to come by, you know. Warlocks get an improved darkvision, there's a spell 'darkvision' even monks can get, most races have it and there's magic items even artificers can create that give it.

>>51142061
It sounds too much like it's focusing on breath weapon stuff. The level 3 feature is kinda awkward because it wants you to have used your breath weapon before you rage, and it might not be as powerful as wolf or bear barbarian's rage features, though it does make breath weapon actually vaguely viable.

I'd say the third level ability should simply give +1 use for the duration of the rage, regardless of if it has been used yet or not.

Level 6 is fine, but boring.

I'd make sure the level 10 legendary resistance is once a long rest only. Compared to PHB barbarians, the level 10 ability is more general use than the ones given in the PHB which are more fun and situational than passive defences. Still, I wouldn't say you can't deviate or you can make it a level 14 feature.

Level 14 needs rework, else it become silly if the DM decides to throw mooklings and you AoE them all. You could steal eagle barbarian's flight feature (because honestly eagle barbarian is underpowered) or .. Something else dragon-ey, I suppose. Could also swap it with the level 10 feature and make this an ability about finding gold, dominating creatures or scaring creatures or something intrinsically dragoney.
>>
>>51140581
Which feats are we talking here? GWM is the obvious one naturally but I can't think of much else that would help bump you up. I really don't feel like you can put much stock in their spells either since many of them have saves which are fairly gimped by low charisma, and having to take so many feats means your con would be kinda low for melee combat too. Not to mention of the few at will spells youve got the best you could manage is silent image, so you've got a bit of trickery and that's it. I do agree that warlock is good, but it's a big stretch to say that bladelock is the epitome of anything let alone better than wizards. Also why would you take a level in paladin instead of fighter? 5 points of laying hands is not better than a fighting style.
>>
>>51142227
>>51142096
>>51142061
Oh, fuck, I read it as 'darkvision' somehow. Apologies, I fucked up big time somehow.

Yeah, as a level 6 ability, fuck no.
Fuck, fuck, fuck no.
>>
File: 1470162163600.jpg (57KB, 425x270px) Image search: [Google]
1470162163600.jpg
57KB, 425x270px
>>51137628
Starting a conversion for an existing setting but not aiming to make a bunch of archetypes that could be covered by existing options. Would a supplement detailing a general guideline of sorts work? Like "If you want to emulate this class from the source material, you should be this class?" Would that be too lazy or stupid?

Also, how broken would a bonus feat tied to each guideline be? Like "those following this path get feat X at this level"? The bonus feats would generally be less flashy ones and rarely something like GWM. Was thinking 5 would be a good point to get that bonus feat?
>>
So I just read the Artificer UA and I really like it. What is /5eg/s opinion on them?

My party is looking for a dedicated healer/support in the next session because their old one died. But because they have a necromancer in the party most Clerics they can find won't travel with them.

So I wanted to give them the option of meeting an alchemist (not the class) who could join them, I based him on a Thief with the healer feat and gave him lots of potions. Already finished him a few weeks ago. But now I'm thinking of changing him to an Artificer because that is exactly what he is. Thoughts?
>>
>>51142237
> Begin typing long-winded post about how you're a thundering fucking moron
> Saved by auto-reload
You're a good person, Anon.
>>
>>51142317
If he's just a potion vending machine, then just make him a guy with lots of potions.

NPCs with class levels are often (albeit not always) more trouble than they're worth.
>>
File: some warlock sorcerer gimmicks.png (30KB, 869x374px) Image search: [Google]
some warlock sorcerer gimmicks.png
30KB, 869x374px
>>51142234
Not sure if this table makes any sense to anyone, but basically PAM is generally the way to go.

I was doing some tables for savage attacker, Favoured Soul Sorcerer and PAM Bladelock at level 12 with standard array stats on a variant human, and here's the average damage per round.
>>
>>51142319
I figure I saw '60ft blindsight' and typically what you expect to see with 60ft something to do with sight is '60ft darkvision'

I think it's that phenomena where something's so unbelievable you fail to see it due to your disbelief.
>>
>>51142202
Fireball.
>>
>>51142339
Well this might sound strange, but my group really likes DMPCs.

Before you write me walls of text what a huge faggot I am, know that I play them exactly like very silent PCs. They are pretty much just PCs that level and scale along with the party.

They like it because they have more freedom on what classes to pick since they don't have to choose things like healer or tanks, and also because they like that I can also "play a character" since I'm a forerver DM
>>
>>51142300
There should be no incentive to following some other person's build for an extra feat.
>>
>>51142317
Don't give them potion for free. The NPC should be on contract with the party and getting like 10% cut on loots or something (or they can only buy potion from him at 50% discount or whatever)
>>
>>51142394
He is a Kenku that wants the parties Airship after the adventure and all dips on alchemist supplies and potions they find.
>>
>>51142317
Great, but the level 6 ability is a little concerning since it might push them into overpoweredness considering action economy.
>>
>>51142387
> Implying
I never said DMPC.

If you're eager to run this guy as a persistent participant, go right ahead. Logistically speaking, you've got lots of other shit to keep track of.
>>
File: 1396991667578.gif (1MB, 288x208px) Image search: [Google]
1396991667578.gif
1MB, 288x208px
>>51142391
For some reason this sentence isn't registering correctly in my head. Are you saying I should just scrap the bonus feat? Maybe replace it with a simple "recommended feats" section to help emulate source material for those not as familiar with it as others but not bind one into a set bonus feat? Or am I misreading and I should rethink that last idea?
>>
>>51142387
>people who feel that the party needs a tank or healer
Scoff.
>>
>>51137717
Finally, time for the Goliath to shine
>>
>>51142422
> Level 6

By this point, a comparable Druid can use Conjure Animals to create an identical creature, and a Cleric or Wizard can make a small skellington army.

But nah, man, Action Economy.
>>
>>51142494
Conjure animals uses an action, a spell slot and concentration.

Animate dead creates only skeletons or zombies and you normally need a bonus action to tell it to do something. Also, spell slots.

Animate objects is great, but also concentration and an action.

The level 6 thing is something you can mount, that can have special extras depending on what beast it's based on and it's fully autonomous. Only deal is you have to do a long rest to fix it up again.
>>
>>51142423
>Logistically speaking, you've got lots of other shit to keep track of.
On that you are very rigth, so I try to make them as simple as possible (for example a babarian whose turns take almost no thought).

They are pretty much always the silent obidient type, so they make no input on what to do or where to go. When I roleplay them it's mostely for entertainment.
>>
So, artificer! I really dig it, but I have a few issues. Infusions just being spells and needing concentration is dumb. Also, that robot pet is cool, but a little concerning. It starts off too strong, but then later ends up a touch worthless. Doesn't seem too well thought out.
>>
>>51142584
Infuse Magic specifies nothing about concentration.

And Infusions have historically been spells-but-not-really.
>>
>>51141971

Covered wagons aren't the only kind of wagon, for one, but more to the point there's a hell of a lot of skill involved in driving a wagon. Narrow roads, tight turns, sheer drops, poor road surfaces, bogs, spooked oxen/horses, steep inclines - all of these things represent potential hazards that could make the journey between towns more interesting.

As a DM I'd look at a character with wagon-driving proficiency as a chance to make the road journeys more interesting than just, "bandits leap from the trees, roll for initiative" every five minutes.

Similar to a player with cooking or herbalism skills allowing the option to make camps and rests more engaging. Sure, they may not be skills that lend themselves to moments of high fantasy and swashbuckling, but they can help to make the roleplaying experience immersive and original.

Chariots are just such a niche compared to carts and wagons that it seems kind of silly for even a soldier to have proficiency in driving them unless the setting is quite unusual.
>>
>>51142608
Mike said the person who activated it needs to concentrate. Which is pretty lame, honestly. If magic weapon infused lasted an hour? I'd be stoked.
>>
>>51142584
The infusion ability is more of an extra flavourful thing. You get it alongside an ASI and a spellcasting level at level 4. It's underpowered, yes, but hey, what did you expect?

If your DM is nice, they might let you borrow a wizard's power to infuse one of their spells into an object. Say, 'wizard, cast fireball for me, I'll put it into this bottle'.

You can also use it so that other creatures can benefit from self-only spells such as 'disguise self'. That's fucking brilliant, actually.
>>
>>51142608
read sageadvice brah.

And even without that, not specific about concentration mean you go with the normal rule. Which require concentration.
>>
>>51142150
>>51142175
>>51142227
>>51142237

Okay, made a few changes now.

When you rage, you gain +1 uses of your Breath Weapon, using it becomes a bonus action and your Rage bonus applies to it for the duration of the rage.

Gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks involving hearing and smell. In addition, when Raging gain Darkvision out to 60ft.

While you rage, you gain advantage on any two saving throws you choose for the duration of the Rage. This may be selected after a save is failed.

14th Level - Frightful Aura
You gain a Draconic aura about you. Anyone attacking you must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8+Prof.+Con) or target another person. If they make this save once, then they don’t have to make it again.

Better, worse? I was thinking about 14 also being a damage-aura type thing instead.
>>
>>51142584
>>51142627
But now you can give magic weapon to someone and cast haste on the same guy.
>>
I played 5e for the first time a few days ago. Joined in at 5th Level as a Wizard. I went with the School of Conjuration and the Minor Conjuration feature seems far too abusable. What do you guys think about it?
>>
>>51142639
Infusions really shouldn't be minor, they've pretty much always been the main thing!
>>
>>51142683
The problem is it's kind of hard to fit it into 5e properly given action economy.

Maybe if there was a more spellcastery focused artificer, but that'd likely be a wizard school.
>>
>>51142655
Better balance wise.

But now I'm worry that it might look a bit too boring...
>>
>>51142706
They did a wizard school. It... It wasn't good. But the infusions are at a starting point. They could definitely be fixed.
>>
Even without being a proper artificer, the Eberron UA artificer wizard could easily be rebranded as a magewright tradition and fit perfectly in Eberron's flavor.
>>
>>51142726
Dude, that wizard school was good. It just wasn't what people would expect from artificer.

It's pretty much the revival of 3.5 god wizard. They can make any spell they knew into a scroll in 1 minute, so no need to prepare utility spell at all.
>>
>>51142751
Let me rephrase. It wasn't a good Artificer. It was pretty good as a wizard, though, you're right.
>>
>>51142718

I know what you mean.

Maybe buff the breath weapon, or have it scale or something?
>>
>>51137717
Goliath Barbarian with tavern brawler so improvised weapons like chains actually hit + you get to grapple everything.
>>
>>51142836
hmm might be a good idea to play around with the blast.

Maybe increase the size or let you shape the blast like evocation wizard?
>>
Would you allow an Alchemist to apply the Swift Step Draught and the Healing Draught as an action to other willing creatures, just like normal healing potions?
>>
>>51142891
Yeah, sure.
>>
>>51142888

Maybe allow different types of blast?

So you start with the aoe one, but you can make a single-target one or a change from a line to a cone or so on?
>>
>>51137628
>mechanical servant
>out of place

Nigga, make it a giant eagle and you can drop bombs.

>unwittingly the arificer class introduces mounted areal combat
>>
>>51141653
In prehistory the people of the Isle Nation of Heyir would sentence unrepentant criminals to climb the mountain Ist that made of most of the island they lived on
On the way up they would happen upon the various villages and tribes and dwarven holds that lived on the mountain. they would be asked if they had been made penitent, and if not they were made to continue their climb.
some kept going til they had passed all civilization and close to the peak some found inner peace or a revelation and seeking to preserve it took to natural caves to live simple live eking out a meager living and advising those who passed, some fellow criminals other climbers for some other reason. many who heard these men and women chose to stay and lean more of the truth these men found on the mountain.
these became the first Monastery's of Ist, and their keepers the monks, and their truths traditions. these monastery eventually founded a moving meditation based on the traditions which became a fighting style for the monks to keep peace in their homes
now many seek out these monasteries to ease their soul or find their own truth becoming monks in turn, other times masters descend the mountain and travel the land spreading their tradition and help those who need it.

theres monks can fit any setting
also this is from my setting so dont steal it please
>>
>>51142954
>also this is from my setting so dont steal it please
Too late stolen it.
>>
>>51142945
My three favorite options are giant Eagle, lion for pack tactics, and giant spider. Where does the web come from? Who knows, but shit's mecha-web.
>>
>>51143061
>>51142945
Seems like mounting your servant is the best option. The giant eagle seems really cool for both sublasses.
>>
>>51143201
You mean half-dragon allosaurus
>>
>>51143061
Why not Crag cat and Female Steeder?
>>
>>51143103
But dude, mecha spider.
>>
Okay, I might be happy with this now.

When you rage, you gain +1 uses of your Breath Weapon, using it becomes a bonus action and your Rage bonus applies to both its damage and the Breath Weapon’s Save DC for the duration of the rage.
Dragonborn also get to add an additional 1d6 to the damage die.

In addition, your Breath Weapon can be shaped in different ways to create different effects, and can be fired in the below ways:
5ft. by 30ft. Line.
15ft. Cone.
Single-Target damage. (Add Con. Bonus to the damage as well)

Gain advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks involving hearing and smell. In addition, when Raging gain Darkvision out to 60ft.

While you rage, you gain advantage on any three saving throws you choose for the duration of the Rage. This may be selected after a save is failed.

14th Level - Frightful Aura
You gain a Terrifying Draconic Aura about you. Whilst raging, anyone attacking you must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + Prof. + Con) or strike with disadvantage until their next turn. If they make this save once, then they don’t have to make it again for the duration of the rage.
>>
File: image.png (251KB, 300x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
251KB, 300x480px
Has wizards released a unearthed arcana for a official 5e psionic class?
>>
File: vaultboywantshisdubs.png (167KB, 366x480px) Image search: [Google]
vaultboywantshisdubs.png
167KB, 366x480px
DMs, how would you play a Chain as a weapon for 5e with these things in mind.

>Has "Heavy" status
>Has "reach"
>Has "versatile"
>Weighs 10lbs

>I want to be able to grapple with it when people are within 5ft

What kind of damage would it do and what kind of conditions would you allow for a grapple?

I asked my other friend and he said 1d6 damage (I was thinking 2d4 since 1d8 would be too powerful, but having the potential to do 8 damage would make since since its basically a heavier, more powerful whip) when using it to whip people, and I think I should require a DC save of 12-15 to pull off a grapple when they're in range.
>>
>>51143394
Yes, the Mystic, and hes totally broke, cop my build
>>
>>51143429

2d4 is inherently stronger than 1d8, since the average roll result is 5 on 2d4 compared to 4.5 on 1d8.
>>
>>51143429

2d4, then grapple should be 8+Str, and add your prof. if you take the tavern brawler feat.
>>
>>51143438
> rolled stat
Yeah, right. Paladin or Lore Bard would be better with that stat.
>>
>>51143505
Other classes do exist, you know.
>>
>>51143491
but on a crit, the chain would do 3d4 instead of 2d8. I like how 5e kinda balanced that
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 236x363px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 236x363px
>>51143438
Thanks , looking at it now
>>
>>51143438
Hey look it's this faggot again! Did you actually read the rule this time before posting your "broken build"?

It was laughable last time that you think Mind Thrust was a reaction and Mind Meld let you bypass language barrier two-way. And you thought your Perception and Investigation should be +12 and +10.

Oh wait it seem you didn't. You should have more skill proficiency than that. You really should read the rule dude.
>>
>>51143572

No it'd do 4d4.
>>
>>51140429
>>51140306
Elven women.
>>
>>51143566
Like Diviner Wizard?
>>
>>51143505
Thats not my rolled stats these are my rolled stats

The way I start a build is I roll 6 times then choose what class I'll play by rearranging what I rolled
>>
>>51143583
>It was laughable last time that you think Mind Thrust was a reaction
I didn't think it was a reaction I was asking if it can be readied at the end of movement to be used as a reaction
>>
File: liar.png (50KB, 1066x278px) Image search: [Google]
liar.png
50KB, 1066x278px
>>51143670
> Lying on the internet
You weren't even asking. You just post a greentext statement.
>>
>>51143655
It look like your rolled stat brah.
13 > DEX +1 from V.Human
13 > CON +1 from V.Human
15 > INT (+1 from Observant)
11 > CHA
12 > STR
16 > WIS

That pointed is that any top tier class would be "broken" with that stat. Also if you want to flaunt your dick about your build on the internet, use 27-point buy or standard array like normal human being.
>>
>level 1 identify with no 100g fee
Seems stupid
>>
>>51143784
>the most innocuous, flavorful ribbons are stupid
I want /5eg/ to leave.
>>
>>51143267
>doesn't need to look like a spider
Shit, you can build a couple of seats on it and have a passenger
>>
At level 7 as a Lore Bard, how many spells should you have total, including Cantrips?

Is it 13? Or one more than that, because of the two spells at level 6? I know the spells known chart is just normal progression and doesn't take into account what college you pick.

Im a retard who never played a caster before so basic addition is hard.
>>
>>51143799
Should start discussing about fluffy tail and waifu then?
>>
>>51143838
3 cantrips, 10 spells, and then 2 extra (of either) from Lore's magical secrets.
>>
>>51143879
Thanks anon.
>>
>>51137628
>We're all pretty much in agreement that Mechanical Servant class feature is really out of place for artificer. What would you replace it with?
I think it's the most appropriate class to have an homunculus/magitek robot of sorts. The problem, I think, is that it doesn't scale. At all.

I find the class very... raw. The subclasses have, each, basically, one feature and other minor features to support it.

The alchemist can throw potions and concoctions. Sure. But a healing draught can only heal a certain person once a day and costs your action and your ally's action. Also, the potions are not even real potions. You just throw them at people. You don't even actually prepare them, nor can you sell them. I know that's so you don't break the game's economy, but it really takes some of the fun out of it.

The gunsmith only get weapon and different shots with appropriate damage. You create a non-magic weapon and are probably stuck with it for the rest of the game. Your level-based damage output and bonus action reload make multiclassing kinda shitty too. And remember, you can't cast spells with somatic/material components your hands are full of gun.

The thing is: It's pretty hard to balance these features if you can use them at will. But the artificer is exactly the kind of character that should be heavy on resource management, because he uses "things" to do magic.

About the core class:
Magic Item Analysis, Tool Expertise are pretty: a bit circumstantial, but work with the class flavor. Spellcasting and Infuse Magic are very dissappointing. This should be the main feature of the class, but only being able to infuse with low-level spells and not having many slots make the class that is all about preparation really go unrewarded. Wondrous Invention is perfect, the class needs more permanent things like this. Superior Attunement and Soul of Artifice are a single feature. A pretty good one, but the bonus in saving throws comes way too late.
>>
File: 1477669872072.png (828KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477669872072.png
828KB, 640x720px
/5eg/, why SHOULDN'T you use a shield and plate armour on an alchemist?
>>
>>51143911
>play alchemist if you want to play a support/utility who doesn't actually spend any of their actions in combat supporting
>play gunsmith if you want to shoot things with magic guns, because that's all they do

Yes. I have lots of criticism, but fuck, am I eager to actually play the class.
>>
>>51143942
You don't have proficiency with them and multiclassing hurts your damage progression?
>>
>>51143976
And why should they care that they don't have proficiency? I'm going to wear it anyway.
>>
>>51143989
Disadvantage on Strength and Dexterity rolls (all of them, including checks and saves) will hurt. Plus you can't cast spells in it if you're not proficient, so you're cut off from a pretty major class feature.
>>
>>51143942
Artificers need lots of hands, so that shield might really get in the way.

Plate armor requires STR 15 and multiclassing. You get almost the same AC with DEX 14 + Half Plate armor, without delaying your class/damage progression and without hurting your stealth (if that's your thing) and carrying capacity.
>>
>>51144008
You can infuse spells into items.

You don't need strength and dexterity rolls, because you don't attack with a weapon.

You don't need stealth disadvantage, because you already have stealth disadvantage.

Your main issues are bad acrobatics and athletics checks and strength/dexterity saves, but +3 AC is much more generally useful than those.

If you only use a shield for +2 AC, you can take it off any time to infuse spells instead.

>>51144012
It needs neither STR 15 nor multiclassing.
They can make a potion to speed them up by 20ft if they really need that extra speed, they can do most things with one hand free and fuck proficiency.
>>
>>51143942
Isn't Alchemist a background and not a class?
>>
Okay, I'll admit, +2 or +3 AC isn't too big a deal on an alchemist considering you're not likely to get into melee anyway, but if you know you're not going to be fighting anything that might impose such saves you can easily put on a shield before combat.
Artificer is already strong enough, without this fuckery.

>>51144043
It's an archetype of the new artificer
>>
I love the Artificer synergy with Thieves. Using healing draughts and infused spells on a bonus action is so fucking good.

>>51143911
>I find the class very... raw
That might be because it's an UA and they're looking for feedback.

>Spellcasting and Infuse Magic are very disappointing
I disagree. I think these features are very well balanced considering what the class already gets. Infusing would get out of hand very quickly with higher level spells, even if you handpicked them into the artificer spell list.
Now, maybe they should have found a way to give the class an extra spell slot for the purpose of infusion, here and there. But I don't know if that's even necessary considering the amount of utility the class already provides, coupled with its versatility (d8 HP, very defining subclasses).

Spells known is a bit disappointing to me though. They get +2 on 1st level, but you can't infuse Identify & Detect Magic. I think it was safe to give them more spells known, considering how very situational their spell list is.

I like your input though. Glad we can discuss and trade on this class. I'm honestly a bit impressed they managed to make an half-decent artificer for 5e, on their "first try".
>>
>>51144025
>hey guys, wait 30 mins while I take my armour off, infuse this item then put it all back on
>>
>>51144008
>Disadvantage on Strength and Dexterity rolls
You mean disadvantage as in rolling twice? What page in the PBG does it say that happens when you're not proficient?
>>
>>51144062
Can you actually do that though? You don't actually use "Use object action" to use Alchemist's item right?
>>
>>51144076
Honestly the 15 strength hurdle to not lose 10ft speed and fucking with plate armour might be too much, 15 dex would be better with medium armour.

Scratch the plate armour, just wear a shield. Now you can infuse with almost no difficulty.
>>
>>51144083
PHB pg. 144.
>>
>>51144083
Page 144.

You see, this is a very unusual case. I've never seen it before where it would actually be pretty viable to wear armour you're not proficient with.

You also can't cast spells, so anybody who has to cast spells or use strength/dex to fight gets fucked over. Which is usually everybody, but...

The alchemist is a weird new exception to that. They solely fight by making enemies make saves based on their intellect.
>>
>>51144091
Probably not. Technically no. Healing draught cannot work with Fast Hands, but i don't think it'd be broken and it makes sense. As a DM I'd allow it.
>>
Riddle me this /5eg/, if a spell were also to cause a point of exhaustion on casting it (lets say 6th level for arguments sake), how much better would you expect it to be than a regular spell?
>>
>>51144062
>That might be because it's an UA and they're looking for feedback
I get it, but most of them are at least a bit more refined. The subclasses look a bit too "DM's Guild".The game design choices don't match the usual UA.

>maybe they should have found a way to give the class an extra spell slot for the purpose of infusion
I agree. I'd even go as far as to propose that the class gets slots only for infusion and drops common spellcasting altogether.

>half-decent artificer for 5e, on their "first try"
>actively trying to forget UA Eberron's Artificer
Good boy.
>>
File: READ.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
READ.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>51144083
>>
>>51144144
One spell level. But I'd allow it to go beyond the level of your highest spell slot.
>>
>>51143590
Nope page 196 it says add one additional dice
>>
>>51144161
I thought it was in reference to weapons as well, as I read it is not
>>
Forever DM here, need some help creating a lair for a Medusa.

Was thinking inside some sort of cavern in a mountainside or something. Somewhere she can place her statues aesthetically and no one would bother her.

Anybody create a Medusa lair before?
>>
>>51143429
2d4 is perfectly fine.
It'd do 4d4 on a crit, 5d4 if you're a half-orc.

It's better than 1d8, but not as good as 1d10, which is the usual for heavy reach weapons. The deal is you're losing -0.5 damage from 1d10 in exchange for being able to quickly use it in one hand instead, which means when you make a grapple attempt you can still attack with it without switching weapons.

Treat grapple rules as normal.
>>
>>51144144
You should just play Shadowrun instead.
>>
>>51144245
Well in the myth Medusa lived on an Island with her two sisters, so I would put it in a cavern that the entrance is shrouded by stalagmites swept upward by the waves crashing up against the stone.
>>
I need help with a campaign setting. I want to run a high fantasy 5e game based on the Princess of Mars series on Fantasy Not-Mars.

I keep thinking about setting everyone's minimum Strength score to 24, and then everyone's minimum Constitution and Dexterity to 20 each and scaling things upward from there. Maybe doubling everyone's base speed and giving everyone Acrobatics and Athletics as baseline skills, and giving everyone and everything Advantage on any attempt at involving Jumping, maybe multiplying Jump height for every point or two above 24 you go in STR. Maybe double ranged weapons and everything is exotic materials. The only problem is I have no idea how to scale fucking Magic.
>>
What does /5eg/ think about Tales from the Yawning Portal?

As someone who got into DnD with 5e it seems nice for me. I hope that at least one of those adventures is for more high level characters.
>>
>>51144380
You can make almost any module for high level characters by changing the encounters with the encounter creator, like you could change "Lost mine" from the starter set into a high level encounter by changing the goblins from regular goblins to Hobgoblins and add a goblin warlord.
>>
>>51144406
I don't think so. The dungeons would have to be redone from scratch to be challenging for a high level party. The story would also have to be changed alot.

If you have to change that much you could just as well make a homebrew adventure.
>>
So I'm starting up a new group soon but I have a dilemma. I have two players, one loves SciFi and the other hates it and only wants fantasy. I want to find a compromise that I'd also be Interested in running. I'm looking at something like Spelljammer for the direction I'm going to go with this. Any suggestions or resources beyond the Spelljammer books themselves?
>>
>>51144491
If I had to say something that's inbetween sci-fi and fantasy, it'd probably be something steampunkish.

A fantasy guy can look at it and think 'It's powered by fantasy!' while the other guy can look and say 'it's powered by science!'
>>
>>51144149
I'd also be fine with losing regular spells if they made infusions a bit better.
>>
I like playing with different dice sets for different characters.

Recommendations on dice for a Bard who uses the power of ROCK?
>>
artificer sucks dick
phb2 is gonna be all bloat, furry races, and stupid shit
cap dis
>>
>>51144220

Well, for one it's on page 197, and two:

'CRITICAL HITS
When you score a criticai hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. RolI ali of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal. To speed up play. you can roll ali the damage dice alonce. For example, ifyou score a criticai hit with a dagger, roll 2d4 for the damage, rather than Id4, and then add your relevant ability modifier. If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue's Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well.'

Taken right off the PDF. Doubled dice. Therefore, 2d4 would become 4d4. Yes?
>>
>>51137628
Nigga, only if you ignore the entirety of Eberron and D&D history.
>>
>>51144220
> When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attacks damage against the target. RolI all of the attacks damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal.
What are you on about?
>>
>>51144178

Hmm. Smart.

>>51144324

Hmm. Useless.
>>
>>51143911
wondrous invention is horrible
1. requires dmg
2. makes alternative settings a pita
3. class is locked at a certain magical level
4. its stupid
5. it makes leveling non-intuitive and clearing a level where the wondrous invention feature is active away from resources to make your free shit is awkward
>>
>>51144651
Wait, so doesn't that mean that Fighter(Champion)/Rogue(Assassin) gets loads of sneak attack crits?
>>
>>51144674

It does indeed, yes.
>>
>>51144623
So he's a geologist and he wants some dike?

I'd recommend he travels the sea and checks out volcanic islands.
>>
>>51144696
I want a dyke
>>
>>51144674
Add paladin (2d8 smite) and mystic (xd10) into that. Maybe Hunter's mark too.
>>
>>51144702
>mystic
nice meme
>>
>>51144245
>Forever DM here, need some help creating a lair for a Medusa.
Statues everywhere. Mirrors everywhere.
>>
>>51144685
Rogue17/Fighter 3 might be good then. You get proficiency with all weapons as well as shields, 1d10+3 healing per short rest, and crits on both 19 and 20. So at level 20, you could attack with a light crossbow for 1d8 damage, have advantage, get a crit, and deal 2d8+18d6+Dex damage.
>>
>>51144721
>mirrors

The Medusa doesn't want to kill herself, anon.
>>
>>51144491
Just read some older Fantasy books from prior to 1990 and then theme your setting after those.

Crystals (rayguns) that shoot Firebolts. Have the party fall through a Portal to another "Plane"-et and have it be full of weird monster people with some that are nice and have cities and others that are assholes. Psionic mushroom men that vomit rainbow slime. Mines filled with crystals that that Plane's humanoids transmute into furnace fuel and power for their magic Food Transmuters with 10000000 Prestidigitation flavor/texture/color options. Rune codes to work mafic items. Stones and Crystals the project small Minor Illusions and Sendings so you can see and comunicate with other Mages long distance. Libraries and Monestaries with Dreambeds that you can sleep in and dream about specific knowledge or stories contained in the Crystal Books or you read them by mind linking with them via touch. Abberations as Not-Aliens. Giant Elementalbound or Ghostbound Skyships and Voidships that fly through the clouds that have Wizard Cities below an upper sky that is some colorful liquid because the plane is actually one of those bubbles from 3.5's Plane of Water that where giant continent sized bleed overs from the Planes, Air for an atmosphere, Fire for a gate that functions as a Sun, Earth for the Land you're walking around on. Travel between "Worlds" in flying Submarines. Or have the Water be oxygenated and breathable so you can sail through it, or be Aether like that one Disney movie Treasure Planet.

Anything is Fantasy if you never say the words Alien, Spaceship, Wormhole, Warpdrive, Blaster, Phazer, Curicuits, Droids, or ______fleet. Jets are magic carpets, Cars are floating magic hover discs, Space Stations are high flying Port Cities on upside down mountains near the Rift's Edge. Fuck your friend for being a queermo faggot who doesn't have an imagination and doesn't read books.
>>
>>51144674
What's more important is that a paladin can wait until they crit to use their smite, because their smite dice will be doubled.
>>
Why do alchemists get all their abilities at level 1 yet gunsmiths only get a weapon at level 1?
>>
>>51139564
The starter set is great. Play it. It's cheap, it's good. It's a little bit lethal for new players, ironically, so make sure your party is taking short rests, and don't give critical hits to the monsters.

Use the premade characters. Don't put them through the gears of character creation yet.
>>
>>51144928
Speaking of which, how do you go about punishing players who abuse short rests?

Make them get jumped more often? Make adventures/quests have time limits?
>>
>>51144907
Alchemists get 3 cantrips (really only 1 as 2 are pre-selected, and the acid and fire ones are basically identical aside from acid being superior), more as they level, gunsmiths get 1 kinda good cantrip and then auto-get the rest as they level.
>>
>>51144953
Fuck, I knew I was reading something wrong this entire time.
I have a habit of failing to read certain lines.

Thanks, this makes way more sense.
>>
>throw tanglefoot bag
>use thunderstone to knock an enemy into tanglefoot bag's area and prone

Their speed is halved at the start of their turn, but they have to use all their remaining speed to stand, right?
>>
Are there any cantrips like Green Flame Blade that apply to ranged weapon attacks?
>>
Why do black people make african-american elves.
>>
>>51145081

Just remember TFB is a10 foot radius which is nice but not impossible to walk around in most situations and only once a minute.The Thunderstone will usually knock them entirely out of it usually and both require your action to use. Mind you im not saying to not do it but just check your surroundings and figure out how mobile the battlefield is going to be first

Im actually thinking a it might be fun to use caltrops a smokestick and a TFB in a situation where the party has to flee down tight corridors for fun shenanigans
>>
File: grapevining.gif (62KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
grapevining.gif
62KB, 500x497px
>>51141293
>How hard is it to restrain and keep prisoners?
Is there a small tree or lamppost around? Then it's very easy.
>>
File: Path of the Roaring Soul.png (3MB, 1200x1603px) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Roaring Soul.png
3MB, 1200x1603px
Hey /5eg/, guy making a Half-dragon/Dragonborn only barbarian archetype here; made a few more tweaks and put it in a nicer format.

Any more thoughts about it? Anything seem OP, UP? Still wondering if a damage aura would be better than what I've got in at the 14th level...
>>
>>51145255
Smoke is definitely good for escape because you can use it before the enemies even show up.

The deal is, if an enemy escapes the tanglefoot area, you can simply just blast them back in when they're outside of it, AND knock the prone in the process to further fuck them up.

Non-lethal combat control.
>>
>>51142041
Play Lore Bard and use your amazing people skills to lure more fuckers to your base to staff and construct it?
>>
>>51142726
What the fuck needs to be "fixed" about making everyone else in your party a caster and having 5+ instances of Concentration spells running?

I can't believe there are people here who think Infusions don't go far enough.
>>
>>51144491
I recently played an AL adventure that felt like Stargate in the Forgotten Realms setting. Just let them travel to other planes but give them a fantasy home plane.
>>
>>51143989
A single level of Fighter gives you all the proficiencies you want, a Fighting Style for another +1 AC, a nice heal, and doesn't set your Artificer progression back much at all.

Now you're a d8 21 AC tank who can walk right up to niggas and shove an acid flask down their throat.
>>
>>51144953
Fire is a 5 foot radius
Acid is single target
>>
>>51140626

Revised Ranger with Giant as favored enemy.
>>
>>51145146
I have 3 black players and none of them has ever made a drow
>>
>>51145146
Black people exclusively play barbarians and monks.
>>
>Alchemist
What formula would you take a each level?
>>
>>51145355
You start with Acid and Fire, and pick Healing.
Then you take Thunderstone.
If you ever hit 9, take Smoke; the party should have far more options of imposing difficult terrain at that point, so Tanglefoot is useless.
>>
>>51145354
None of my black friends has ever played either of those
>>
>>51145408
>he thinks he's the only one they game with
They were just obscuring their power levels for your benefit. You couldn't handle their Monks.
>>
File: 20e.png (432KB, 680x391px) Image search: [Google]
20e.png
432KB, 680x391px
>can make enemy based encounters extremely easy
>cant think of interesting environmental hazards for players to deal with
>>
>>51137628
>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
>Specialization: Gunsmith
>spells specialize in mobility, sensory enhancement, and illusions
>mechanical servant: polar bear, looks like a sword-wielding mechanical golem
>free magic items: Eyes of Night, Rope of Climbing, Heward's Handy Haversack, Slippers of Spider Climbing, Wings of Flying

We Titanfall Pilots in DnD now.
>>
>>51145383
>Tanglefoot
>useless
It also halves an enemy's speed if they start there.
There's no save for it.

It has great synergy with the thunderstone.

Though, I think the healing potion option is just a bit too powerful compared to the other options. It should at least be d6s.
>>
Anybody running any games on roll20? I DM two games already and want a chance to play but trying to find a game is suffering.
>>
>>51145613
>rolling boulders
>edge of a cliff
>logs on a river
>room filling with lava
>sinking ship
>chained animals
>grappling vines
>>
>>51145746
It's wednesday, you could just go to your LGS and play AL
>>
>>51145772
New thread.

Surely page7 is enough.
>>
>>51145774
I had a look and it turns out there is actually a nearby shop running it. Will investigate further, thanks anon.
>>
>>51145843
Remember to bring an AL legal character and to let the shop know that you're coming. We had to turn people away at my store because we only had two prepared DM's.
>>
>>51146074
I was a player at a LGS and volunteered to DM if there were too many players. Now I'm a forever DM.
>>
>>51142548

The pet doesn't scale either. I don't think it's nearly as OP as people think it is. It's kind of a weird feature but I've grown to like it.
>>
File: 1468395072239.jpg (182KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468395072239.jpg
182KB, 800x480px
>>51142435
I just got back. You must follow your own design now, anon.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.