[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Budget MTG Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Any of you guys play Penny Dreadful in MTGO?

I follow a couple of groups on Facebook that relate to the game and someone posted about it the other day.

If you don't know, it is a format where every card is a penny on MTGO.

Scryfall and Magidex are databases that talk about it.

The site is pdmtgo dot com.

It looks like janky fun and the best decks are still cheap.

I figured that such a cheap format would be perfect for us NEET fucks.

Anyway, let's talk about the format and other budget formats such as Pauper.

I personally would love to organize a paper tournament for Penny Dreadful at my FLGS.

There is even a deck checker on the pdmtgo website so you can check legalities.
>>
File: 48642088_p0.jpg (170KB, 1000x1102px) Image search: [Google]
48642088_p0.jpg
170KB, 1000x1102px
Pauper has potential to be a lot of fun. But my buddies practically make it not worth it. They love their rares and aren't that fond of limited formats or meta in general. They just build stupid shit to win. Which is good and all. But when I try and branch out into something new like pauper, it either gets talked out of, or they build shit like slivers and infect. So i just do me and stick to what I feel is fun.
>>
>>51133027
infect isn't even good in pauper though. You should really get them to try pauper out though, it's a really diverse format and far fro being solved, as well as being soft on the wallet.
>>
>>51133027
Just build something that crushes linear aggro decks like U/B Angler
>>
>>51133027
I'm playing pauper draft with friends sometimes and we have a lot of fun. Standard pauper is fun too, because we don't really have time to dig through hundreds of cards. Decks are not powerful but at least are balanced, cheap and easy to build so they are great for our instant play-meetings
>>
>>51132903
>face/b/ook format
>ban list change everyday with the prices
Pauper looks like what you look for.

Also, Why nobody here seems to play peasant ? It's like pauper, with 5 uncomons allowed so we can still play broken cards
>>
>>51133882

Not to be a dick, but you clearly didn't read anything other than my post.

The format is updated with every Standard set. It isn't daily. That would be utter chaos.

I do recommend looking into it, Anon. You might like what you find.
>>
>>51133027
I have friends like that too.
This one guy built a deck with desecration demons, vexing devils, lightning bolts, and doom blades while everyone still had decks they built from card packs.

Some people just don't like fun.
>>
>>51134090
>lightning bolts
>doom blades
>common cards
wowie zowie what a douchebag
>>
>>51133882
There are so many broken cards in Pauper without bringing in uncommons

Also, allowing uncommons allows Countertop decks to be a thing.
>>
>>51134090
If you're not going to pick a format, you cannot blame somebody for buying singles for your casual table. That shit sounds like a handful of packs worth of dollar value anyway. If you wanted to play sealed, play sealed.
>>
>>51133258
Are you talking Pauper? I'm so sick of Chainer's Edict it's not even funny. It gets so boring because everyone and their brother is fucking playing it in the tournament practice rooms.
>>
>>51134335
Both are uncomons
You can play a maximum of 5 copy for these two cards, so it's not as consistent as it is in legacy
>>
>Not playing Acid Trip in Pauper

You fags must hate winning or something.
>>
>>51135726
Why not go whole hog and use all commons and uncommons? That's what I don't understand about Peasant. Why the limitation?
>>
I feel like Magic doesn't get any better than Pauper constructed but too few other players like it.
>>
>>51136147
>not playing ub teachings
>>
>>51133027
What's wrong with Slivers and Infect? Just do what >>51133258 said and buy into U/B Angler, if anything it'll show them how fluid the meta can be simply because the cards are so cheap. Pauper is basically my nicotine at this point, stops me from spending money on Modern by providing a cheap* but competitive environment.

*Not so cheap now these days though.
>>
>>51133882
Some people (such as myself) find it difficult and thus bothersome to track what's actually an Uncommon and what isn't. Also as >>51136189 says, it hits my OCD hard that we're only restricting ourselves to 5 Uncommons even though I know why we're doing it (for balanced play of course or else we'd all just play Countertop)
>>
>>51136232
I think Pauper's biggest obstruction is Wizard's and the community's unwillingness to commit to a single agreed pool of cards. We can argue autistically all day over this matter but what has resulted from these arguments is that there are now three different interpretations of Pauper all over the globe where Pauper is being played:

1. MtGO only rarities(so REB, BEB, Tormod's Crypt, Desert and Custodi Squire aren't allowed)

2. Paper only rarities (so Masters cards like Beetleback Chief, Battle Screech and Brindle Shoat aren't allowed)

3. A united pool (which both of the above will argue with you "isn't real Pauper")

Yes, some stores actually insist on using options 2. and 3.

I think this has prevented Pauper from taking off as an actual format in stores and consequent to its unpopularity in stores, given it difficulties being picked up in playgroups.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.